Type keyword(s) to search

Late Show With David Letterman - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

Yes, I also noticed his hands were really shaking each time he reached for the "talking points".  I hope it was nerves, but it was odd if he was nervous. 

PREVIEW of tonight's show released by CBS -- over a minute of Bill Murray's entrance:  http://www.mediaite.com/tv/bill-murray-makes-final-epic-entrance-for-david-letterman/ -- it's only a spoiler if you don't want to know how he enters.  Be sure to see the look in Bill Murray's eyes when he looks at Dave as he sits down.  Pure glee. 

Edited by jjj

Does anyone remember alt.fan.Letterman from way back in the early days of the w w w (as Dave would say)? Those people scared me.

Don't be scared.  They seem like nice people... 

Okay, that In Memorium thing made me sad for the absence of Calvert DeForest (aka Larry Bud Melman).  But also made me think Bob Dylan is like days from following those people.  Ack, he was almost LITERALLY farting dust.

(edited)

Okay, that In Memorium thing made me sad for the absence of Calvert DeForest (aka Larry Bud Melman).

Calvert DeForest was listed.

Edited by jonk

Bill Murray was all kinds of awesome and I loved the clips of previous appearances.

Although I could not understand all the lyrics of the song, I loved the melody -- and it is Bob Dylan!!!!! (He did look awkwardly lost out there at the end.)

Glad to see Regis!

• Love 2

Does anyone remember alt.fan.Letterman from way back in the early days of the w w w (as Dave would say)? Those people scared me.

The alpha male of the tribe was "Donz5".  Apparently his archive of tapes was more complete than NBC's, CBS's or Worldwide Pants because he got tapped for material used in some of the specials over the years.  Dude was a walking encyclopedia for all things Letterman. 

Out of all the tributes...funny and sad.. it is Bill Murray that touched my heart...

"We just want more...Dave"...

I feel like I'll be 20 years older after Wednesday night...and the world I know will make less sense than it does now...

• Love 2

An amazing episode tonight. Tomorrow evening is going to be so hard.

Did Bob Dylan have any idea where he was tonight?

This is the only episode in the past two weeks when I haven't cried a little. I was just laughing at Bob. God bless him! But the song was lovely.

My Letterman story: When was about 8, I stumbled upon the Late Night show. I stole my mom's portable TV and would watch under the covers every night. Then when he moved to CBS, I discovered my dad was a fan too. Every night during our phone conversations (divorced parents), we would talk about the show from the previous night. After Norm's SNL sketch, my dad started answer the phone with "err, you got any gum?" I was a nightly viewer (and frequent Late Show TWoP poster) for 20 years. A couple of years ago, I saw the writing on the wall and switched to Colbert and sleep. It's been a great run.

• Love 1
The alpha male of the tribe was "Donz5".  Apparently his archive of tapes was more complete than NBC's, CBS's or Worldwide Pants because he got tapped for material used in some of the specials over the years.  Dude was a walking encyclopedia for all things Letterman.

Yes! That guy was amazing. Someone should find and interview him. If he kept up his interest he must be feeling pretty hollow now.

I started watching Dave from the beginning but I was working and most nights couldn't stay awake so I'd go to sleep and set the alarm for 12:30; wake up to watch then go back to sleep. It was all so different and funny and off-key and I didn't want to miss a word. There was a Rolling Stone cover story about Dave in 1982 and I cut out the front page and mailed it to his office asking if he would sign it. I can't guarantee it was his signature, but somebody sent it back to me.

• Love 2

The alpha male of the tribe was "Donz5".  Apparently his archive of tapes was more complete than NBC's, CBS's or Worldwide Pants because he got tapped for material used in some of the specials over the years.  Dude was a walking encyclopedia for all things Letterman. 

Was he the one that used to post those detailed breakdowns of each episode including the musical cues? Whoever that was robbed me of too much time in my life reading those, lol. Even for episodes I didn't even watch.

I can't say I have too personal a story with Dave, but I will say that I was pretty miserable my first semester away at college and watching his show at night (this was the first year of his CBS show) was almost always a highlight of my day. I'll be forever grateful to that, as well all the other countless other hours of joy he gave us over the years.

Bill Murray was indeed the perfect final guest. In a way I hope he's one of the "surprises" in tonight's episode. Dylan was about as good as we could expect, and it was clear Dave got a great amount of joy from having him on the show so I'm all good with that. I did get a kick out of how Dave told that story about telling Harry that Dylan was the greatest songwriter and then Dylan comes out and sings a song he didn't write. Still that song, "The Night We Called it a Day" seems pretty appropriate in the end. 

I think I'm going to go into a media and online blackout from the mid afternoon on until after the show airs tonight. I really don't want to be spoiled in any way for this one.

Dave Personal Story:

I started watching Dave way too young - his old NBC show. I never had a bedtime, but seeing my dad enjoying the show made me curious. As I grew up my father + I didn't have much in common - aside from Dave [sometimes watching it in different rooms because we weren't getting along - but always talking about it the next morning]. Over the years I got into Conan as well [+ my dad didn't get that - even though I think they are part of the same comedy geneology] but always referred to Dave as "my TV Dad". + there were certain topics that I could always talk about with my dad - Dave + my dad's dog, mainly.

My father passed away in 2001 when I was still a young lady. His dog passed away a few years later. Now with Dave leaving I really do feel as though one of my big connections to my dad is leaving this world. I realize this is a bit silly + melodramatic...tonight is gonna be a tough one.

• Love 10

Not silly at all, thebeanweasel.  Dave's been my tv friend for 35 years and I'm going to miss him.

Here's a favorite Dave story: during the OJ Simpson trial, Dave was talking about it at his desk one night.  He said that every time he turned on the coverage, all he could hear was the glug-glug-glug of someone pouring a glass of water.  And I thought: YES! I am not alone!  It had been driving me crazy.

• Love 2
(edited)

Could've been just my mood, but Bill Murray seemed too depressed to be funny or to be much of anything last night. And I say that as someone who has never once been disappointed by Bill Murray before.

To the extent that anybody bursting out of a cake could be said to be going through the motions, that's what I saw.

Edited by Milburn Stone

Dave Personal Story:

My father passed away in 2001 when I was still a young lady. His dog passed away a few years later. Now with Dave leaving I really do feel as though one of my big connections to my dad is leaving this world. I realize this is a bit silly + melodramatic...tonight is gonna be a tough one.

Not silly in the least. My dad and I are no longer close, but I made sure to bring him Late Show swag from when I got to go to the show because it was our thing. Dave does represent a fun bond that was apparently share by many families. From one fan to another, I'm sorry for your loss.

(edited)

I literally pumped my fist when I read about the spoiler in the corresponding article on EW.com.  Awesome x 10.

About Bill Murray, having watched the interview he did with Jim Downey on MSNBC (the link to which is in the Media thread), I think Bill was nervous and excited and more emotional than he let on, and kudos to him for keeping it together.  I did catch the complete glee on his face when he first showed up and smeared Dave with cake.  The man seemed to be having a ball, but I'm sure the emotion of it all got to him as it did with everyone else.

Edited by SingerIslander

Don't love her like I did during the Late Night days, but I'm sad that we don't get a last Sandra Bernhard appearance. She and Dave had so many fantastic moments together. She's gone more mainstream in recent years (as has Dave), but she was one of the oddball recurring guests they used to have. I'd have put her in the Harvey Pekar/Brother Theodore category back in the day.

• Love 1

I loved Paul's constant mention of Brother Theodore when Dave was making him guess who'd been on the most.

I'm officially losing it, crying in the car on my way back from lunch as I thought about tonight's show.  My idiot co-worker, whom I find intensely irritating on so many levels, was blah-blah-blahing about it earlier and I came close to punching her in the face.  Only those of us who truly love Dave can mourn him!

stonehaven,  I'll leave a squirrels-storing-their-nuts joke here in the fall.

• Love 4
(edited)

I loved Paul's constant mention of Brother Theodore when Dave was making him guess who'd been on the most.

Holy smokes, I'd forgotten all about Brother Theodore.  Pretty much sums up the whole endeavor, can't imagine anyone on today's landscape having Ted (or his ilk) on their program.  

Edited by kib

Could Dave's 12:30 AM show even survive today?  I think the odd ilk of his show really benefitted from basically having an empty bowling lane on the air at that time of the night back then. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Was just watching the Late Night 8th Anniversary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qFuvdquIJ8 Chris Elliott, Anton Figg/Zipp, Hal Gurnee, Larry Bud Melman...what a freaking amazing show Late Night was.

I must have missed it, but did someone say they did an In Memorium segment? Was it serious or a joke?

Could Dave's 12:30 AM show even survive today?  I think the odd ilk of his show really benefitted from basically having an empty bowling lane on the air at that time of the night back then.

Late Night was brilliant, ground breaking and hilarious. The media landscape is so different now that I'm not sure many shows from that era would survive, but the people who were watching and obsessed with that show are doing pretty well today: John Stewart, Jimmy Fallon, Steven Colbert...

Edited by VioletMarx
  • Love 1

I must have missed it, but did someone say they did an In Memorium segment? Was it serious or a joke?

Yes, it was real -- after the credits, a list of about 10-12 names of former staffers (as far as I could tell).  From the earlier posts last night, I thought it was presented over the Bob Dylan song, which I thought would have detracted from his appearance (meaning his presence, not the way he looked).  So I was confused when I saw it air out here, but glad I stuck until the very very end of the credits.  And will do so tonight, until the last pixel is gone and something else comes on the screen. 

• Love 2

Johnny Carsons' last words[cut and pasted from Wikipedia]:

And so it has come to this: I, uh... am one of the lucky people in the world; I found something I always wanted to do and I have enjoyed every single minute of it. I want to thank the people who've shared this stage with me for thirty years. Mr. Ed McMahon, Mr. Doc Severinsen, and you people watching. I can only tell you that it has been an honor and a privilege to come into your homes all these years and entertain you. And I hope when I find something that I want to do and I think you would like and come back, that you'll be as gracious in inviting me into your home as you have been. I bid you a very heartfelt good night.

David Lettermans' last words: ????????????????????????????

• Love 1
(edited)
Prediction (not based on anything in particular): Last song played - "My Hero"

I think you're right, and that would be very appropriate.   "Walking After You" and "One By One" are my favorites.  Walking After You played over the end credits of the first X Files movie.

Edited by teddysmom

Surprise guests are being leaked all over Twitter at the moment as they enter the building. Outlets will start reporting it pretty soon. Those who want to avoid knowing should be cautious.

Please, no wagering!

I had to stop reading the media thread (for now). And now it's seeped in here as well. I wanted to click on each link, but it was just getting to be too much to keep up with, physically and emotionally.

On the penultimate show: I usually couldn't laugh at Rupert being horrible to people, but the insistence that it was his thumb, not his finger, in the woman's drink always got me. It was very nice that Rupert got to sit in the chair and talk with Dave. I loved Felicia wiping frosting onto her mic. I didn't care for the women Bill brought out of the cake. We had such little time left and I was frustrated by it for a few reasons. Dylan et al. were lit and shot beautifully.

Johnny Carsons' last words[cut and pasted from Wikipedia]:

....And I hope when I find something that I want to do and I think you would like and come back, that you'll be as gracious in inviting me into your home as you have been. I bid you a very heartfelt good night.

This was played twice in the CNN special last night -- and what struck me again were not just the words, but that Johnny was sitting on the stool, not behind the desk.  Will Dave abandon the usual stage formatting, or sit where he has made a little home for himself for an hour a day?  So many questions to be answered!

On the penultimate show: I usually couldn't laugh at Rupert being horrible to people, but the insistence that it was his thumb, not his finger, in the woman's drink always got me. It was very nice that Rupert got to sit in the chair and talk with Dave. I loved Felicia wiping frosting onto her mic. I didn't care for the women Bill brought out of the cake. We had such little time left and I was frustrated by it for a few reasons.

I thought the extra women coming out of the cake was not a bit funny, and I did not like them at all!  Too random in an evening full of meaning. 

I never heard about the knife incident with Rupert!  Did we hear about that previously?  I can believe it, because I would have found those interactions very irritating.  But the most lethal thing I carry are TicTacs. "Get away from me or I will sprinkle you with minty pellets!" 

• Love 3

I heard there will be no guests save for what has been announced in the spoiler. I can't imagine who else he'd have on, unless it's

his mom

. I'd almost rather just see old bits and listen to him talk about what having the show meant to him.  Then I can start sobbing like a fool. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I didn't care for the women Bill brought out of the cake.

Andrea Sande and Nadine Hennelly, the original "Hi-Ho" girls they ain't.

dl21_Nadine_and_Andrea.jpg

Edited by kib