Type keyword(s) to search

The Kitchen - General Discussion

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

They're airing some leftover Bakers v. Fakers.   The Sunday airing of The Kitchen is a rerun.   I think they use it to fill time in their schedule and will bring it back if they need to do it again. 

I would much prefer a Sunday rerun of The Kitchen over Lorraine and Bakers v Fakers.  

• Love 1
On 1/7/2018 at 11:51 AM, Maya said:

Sunny hated GZ’s sweet potato pizza crust lol. 

I would have too, I'm not a fan of sweet potato. Now I've tried cauliflower crust pizza and I find it so pretty good. I think Katie said her recipe for that was one of their most searched.

I love sweet potatoes. I love cauliflower.  But I can't imagine liking either of those as a pizza crust.  Granted, maybe it's just because I didn't have a good one made.  I tried to make my own cauliflower crust and make a pizza with it.  It was good---once I let go of the notion that it was a pizza.  It was just a pizza-flavored cauliflower dish to me.

• Love 3

What in the world did Sunny have on today? It looked like a dusty rose satin robe. I swear it was! Then during the last segment when she had her coat on, you see some long fringe flopping around on the bottom hem of the robe. It was so puzzling. And that pina colada popcorn made me want to barf. White chocolate, coconut, pineapple (was there an additional ingredient) all poured on popcorn? No thanks. Yuck. The pulled pork recipe was ok but nothing new or special. I enjoyed the guest chef. 

• Love 3
22 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

What in the world did Sunny have on today? It looked like a dusty rose satin robe. I swear it was! 

Pretty sure those sleeves dragged through everything she was making. 

• Love 1

When I tuned in to today's episode Katie Lee was putting cinnamon sticks on a candle for an awesome (Pinterest) display. I liked Sunny's trivet craft better.  But a bit later when they were talking about saving money and Katie Lee said "store circulars", Geoffrey didn't know what the H she was talking about.  I thought, why should he, he's probably never needed to shop on a budget, worry about costs.  The look on his face was puzzled, and Sunny called him out, kept calling him out, she returned his look in spades.  Come on, Sunny, the guy's a famous chef. Why would he need to know about "circulars", or know that that's what some people call supermarket sales papers (which is what we grew up calling them). 

• Love 1

That meat loaf looked disgusting, but it could be that I tend not to like gray food.  Plus, baking it that way, you miss out on one of the best things about meat loaf--the crispy top crust and edges.  Adding pesto's kind of an interesting idea, though.

Sunny, on the other hand, did look good.  Maybe we're caught up to where her stylist sued her, so she's being dressed by someone else.  Who doesn't hate her yet.

• Love 1

For me, meat loaf HAS to have mashed potatoes as a side. Those measly potato slices on top of the bundt loaf were too much work and not satisfying as the starchy side (although it wasn't really a side.) 

I have been watching GZ's face for several episodes now and he seems pretty uninterested these days. Of course Sunny and Jeff have enough pep for all of them! But Sunny did look good on this episode. I haven't looked ahead but I guess the next episode will be related to the "big game" which means some ridiculous cake or appetizer shaped like a stadium. 

• Love 1
On 1/20/2018 at 11:03 AM, bichonblitz said:

Wow, Sunny looked pretty today and was actually likeable.

Beware a drinking game that uses the word "moment" out of Sunny's mouth.  It's getting really annoying.

On 1/21/2018 at 6:31 AM, Spunkygal said:

I have been watching GZ's face for several episodes now and he seems pretty uninterested these days.

Thank you for saying "uninterested" and not "disinterested."  And I agree. 

I've recently been kind of liking these people (to my surprise) but this episode crawled all over me.  In addition to Sunny's many "moment"s, when Jeff asked if she sprayed the bundt pan, she said, "Yeah, so it's non-stick but go ahead and butter or spray it just so, you know, for edification, 'cause what's going to happen is after this parbakes, I'm going to flip it out and then top it."

Edification?  What the hell?  I can't even imagine what word she was actually looking for.  She went on to "explain" why it needed to be buttered, but I think it's a huge stretch to think her "edification" was a way to introduce that.  Frankly, I don't know what it was.

And what is the deal with Geoffrey rattling pans when he's cooking?  He scrapes and bangs them on the burner like crazy.  Is it because that's what you have to do in a busy kitchen?  Because it can't be good for the pans or for the cooktop.  Maybe he has all professional stuff so it wears better, but most people don't, and I can't believe it's a good idea to scrape everything around like that in a regular kitchen. 

On America's Test Kitchen the other day, Julia did a stir-fry in a skillet and she was shaking and wiggling the pan and sometimes flipping the stuff in it, and she didn't constantly scrape it on the burner.  But they use T-Fal skillets, and those are pretty light.  Maybe you just can't lift a pan like Geoffrey's using so you have to scrape it?  Still seems like a bad idea.

Plus, what exactly were the criteria for the supermarket vs. warehouse comparison?  Was it just price?  Because warehouse will almost always be cheaper at the register, but not in practice if you can't use that gallon of mayonnaise.  And they were playing fast and loose with talking about "sell by" dates, and Geoffrey even used "sell through," which has nothing to do with expiration dates.  I've learned about it on Shark Tank, and it makes me think he's working on introducing some supermarket products.  

And Geoffrey--that reclosable package from the warehouse?  You can replicate that by using a "zipper top" (not TM--Ziploc isn't a sponsor) bag, and if you're thrifty, you can have a designated zipper top bag that you always put the supermarket bag of frozen vegetables in, and reuse it.  It was a good point about the actual vegetables inside, though.

And...manager's specials.  Basically, "Buy old meat."  Which I don't have a problem with, but I've seen those "manager's special" tags on meat and other clearance items only at the Kroger family of stores.  Other stores will have "clearance" on the tag.  If I hadn't seen the "manager's special" tags in Kroger (or King Soopers or Fry's or Smith's), I wouldn't have any idea what they were talking about. 

Finally, saving money by using ingredients out of your pantry?  Did the pantry items show up in there for free?  Because if you paid for them when you bought them, you're not saving any money at all...you're just shifting around the payment date.  Or, well, if they're ancient, you may have paid less because the price is now higher due to inflation, but I'm pretty sure they weren't accounting for that.

Katie FTW for admitting she has old condiments in her refrigerator. 

Jeff treating the mayonnaise like a baby grated, and I don't always find his humor repellent. 

Whew--I'm glad I got that out of my system.

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Beware a drinking game that uses the word "moment" out of Sunny's mouth.  It's getting really annoying.

I counted the number of "moments" on this last show (I've posted about it before--it's so pretentious and meaningless), and she said it 8 times.  Not counting the one time Jeff said it, making fun of her, I think.

40 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

And Geoffrey--that reclosable package from the warehouse?  You can replicate that by using a "zipper top" (not TM--Ziploc isn't a sponsor) bag, and if you're thrifty, you can have a designated zipper top bag that you always put the supermarket bag of frozen vegetables in, and reuse it.  It was a good point about the actual vegetables inside, though.

You can also seal them up good as new if you have a vacuum sealer or one of those little handheld heat resealers.  I have both because I've got gadget fever, but those little ones are cheap and very useful.  I can probably go to Paris on the money I've saved by not throwing out moldy cheese.

1 hour ago, Mondrianyone said:

I counted the number of "moments" on this last show (I've posted about it before--it's so pretentious and meaningless), and she said it 8 times.  Not counting the one time Jeff said it, making fun of her, I think.

Bless your heart.  I once counted the number of times Bridget on America's Test Kitchen said "go ahead and" in one segment. 

I kind of liked Sunny's "moment" thing the first time I heard it back when she started doing it.  It has not worn well at all.

• Love 1
On 1/22/2018 at 2:14 PM, Mondrianyone said:

You can also seal them up good as new if you have a vacuum sealer or one of those little handheld heat resealers.  I have both because I've got gadget fever, but those little ones are cheap and very useful.  I can probably go to Paris on the money I've saved by not throwing out moldy cheese.

I literally just signed up for this forum just so I can join in on the rants about Sunny's incessant use of the word, "moment". Oh my good gracious, she is going to drive me to drink. I have almost stopped watching the show because it is so annoying and useless.  What gets me though is that she is clearly VERY intelligent - during her meatloaf segment alone she used the words "verdant" and "edification" - properly (as far as I know, at least haha) but she will NOT stop using the word "moment".  I just can't stand it.  I sometimes count them too.  I don't know if I have ever been so annoyed with someone on TV as I am with her when she uses that word (for NO REASON!)  She just has it stuck in her dang vocabulary and won't knock it off.  OH and another one of her sayings that drives me up the wall is, "If you will".  She just needs a "moment" and "if you will" jar where she has to put in 100 bucks every time.  Maybe then she might think twice?

I do like that Jeff said it but he used it in a meaningful way (even if he was also taking a jab at her.  At least someone was doing something about it)

And now since I'm here, I may as well say Hi!  I do love the show - I learn a lot from each of them and I enjoy pretty much every episode.  I do hate that Marcella left so now there's this void that they keep filling with no-name who-evers that don't bring anything interesting to the show but hopefully they can iron things out soon and maybe get a 5th person again - Honestly, I wouldn't mind Valerie - she's fun and would bring a Mom vibe back.  

Also, I really think Jeff is one of the funniest and quickest folks on food TV today.  He is a lot like a big kid where he doesn't always know when to stop and takes thing too far but man he is clever and quick witted.  I have been watching all the reruns they show each week as well as the new ones and I have been trying to watch for the reactions of the other hosts to see when he gets a genuine laugh out of any (or all) of them and it's fun to see.  Marcella always laughed the fastest which with her being so "prim and proper" for lack of a better term, always made me happy.  He brought out her fun side.  

Okay, I can clearly see I watch this show too much but I really do enjoy it. And I hope they can keep it going for a long time.  It is nice to have a place to watch and learn new cooking/baking/decor ideas while still being on Food Network.  (I noticed a lot of folks on here like The Chew but that one just bugs the heck out of me. I couldn't stand it the handful of times I tried it - it's just too loud and crazy for me though I do like Mike Symon even if he's loud I still like him)

OHHH Okay one more thing then I'm done - so speaking about loudness - That's my only real gripe about The Kitchen as a whole - is the volume.  They need to tone it down, pronto.  I watched from the beginning and now with all the reruns they show - you can literally hear the progression of the volume from season to season. It's as though the producers decided they needed to try to be more like Oprah (or the Chew) or some kind of daytime show when really they are a dang cooking/some home decor show.  We do NOT need to be yelled at every time we watch (I know I used caps throughout this post - haha, though not to yell but to emphasize lol).  I now mute the show at the beginning whenever they yell WELCOME TO THE KITTTCCCCHHHHHEENNNNNNNNNNN. I mean, really, it's not necessary.  We can hear you and we are happy to watch but if you're not giving us cars or blenders, you don't have a reason to be so excitable.  Just calm down and go back to the way it was at the start!  Nice and calm with everyone just hanging in The Kitchen.

Thanks for reading if you got this far.  I guess I had a lot on my mind and some time on my hands.

If you made it this far, just know I'm giving you a mental high-five!  

TL:DR - Sunny needs to stop with the word "moment" and phrase "if you will".  I love The Kitchen and hope it goes on for a long time.  Jeff is a big kid and doesn't know when to quit but he's still very clever and witty.  The Chew is annoying and this show is much better.  And they should tone it down and not yell so much at the audience. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Bananarama123 said:

DR - Sunny needs to stop with the word "moment" and phrase "if you will".  I love The Kitchen and hope it goes on for a long time.  Jeff is a big kid and doesn't know when to quit but he's still very clever and witty.  The Chew is annoying and this show is much better.  And they should tone it down and not yell so much at the audienc

Loved your post!  You hit the nail on the head with me regarding Sunny — her overuse of “if you will” -- drives me NUTS!  So often, it just does not fit with what she’s saying.  I, too, think Jeff is crazy smart and his witticisms just pour from his quick mind — you know he has to hold back from commenting even more than he already does.  The show is indeed too loud sometimes.  I watch the re-runs in my office and they get so loud at times that I have to race for the remote.  I’m embarrassed for them and this is coming from a big fan of the show!  Where I differ with you is that I’m glad Marcela is gone and I don’t miss her a bit.  Wish her well but I was never a fan.  I very much like this foursome and it will take someone very special to fit in if TPTB decide there should be 5 hosts again.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 6

It's interesting that you note that The Kitchen has increased in volume over the years. I bailed out of The Chew in the first season because it was so frenzied and then went back to watching it once they calmed down fifty notches. If Sunny and Jeff stopped trying so hard, I think I'd pay more attention.

Or maybe they know a bunch of us put this show on while we attend to our Saturday morning chores and are just trying to be heard over my vacuum cleaner.

12 hours ago, Bananarama123 said:

What gets me though is that she is clearly VERY intelligent - during her meatloaf segment alone she used the words "verdant" and "edification" - 

Many chefs use both these words. Rachel Ray uses "verdant" often. So, as far as being intelligent I beg to differ. Sunny uses them because she has heard the words many times before. 

• Love 3

I agree that Jeff is very smart and quite witty.  I think he could easily drop the frat-boy persona--I wish he would.  It only serves to mask what a sharp wit he has.

I'm one of the few, I guess, who misses Marcela.  When both she and Zakarian were on, there was a 40% chance that someone would cook real food.  That's now dropped to 25%, so even if you found some of her qualities irritating, it's still a net loss in terms of actual cooking being featured.

• Love 2

Is Sunny a trained chef?  Or just likes to cook, like Katie.

I like Jeff a lot, he's funny and doesn't take himself too seriously (cough, GZ)

I used to think there was somethin' somethin' going on with Katie and GZ, but I'm not feeling that vibe anymore.

I agree with the volume, I always have to turn the volume down with this show.

19 minutes ago, WritinMan said:

Wow, that french fry thing Sunny made was disgusting.

EDIT: And the one that followed by Katie was also bad. Leave french fries alone, people!

Amen to this! Sunny's was especially barf-inducing. 

• Love 3

Well, I just had an interesting experience on Instagram with Sunny.  I replied to today’s show photo with a note about what a big fan of hers and the show that I am (completely true) and lightheartedly said that I wished she’d stop saying “if you will” so much.  She replied and basically bit my head off.  

2 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

Well, I just had an interesting experience on Instagram with Sunny.  I replied to today’s show photo with a note about what a big fan of hers and the show that I am (completely true) and lightheartedly said that I wished she’d stop saying “if you will” so much.  She replied and basically bit my head off.  

That's disappointing. Thin skinned much?

• Love 1
On 2/1/2018 at 1:13 PM, roughing it said:

Is Sunny a trained chef?  Or just likes to cook, like Katie.

I like Jeff a lot, he's funny and doesn't take himself too seriously (cough, GZ)

I used to think there was somethin' somethin' going on with Katie and GZ, but I'm not feeling that vibe anymore.

I agree with the volume, I always have to turn the volume down with this show.

Sunny is not a trained chef.. she owned her own catering co but from my understanding didn’t go to culinary school.. I agree with the volume.. when I went to taping of show.. it was loud sitting in audience!! It seemed like Sunny was screaming into her mic.. don’t think she even needed one lol

3 hours ago, WritinMan said:

Wow, that french fry thing Sunny made was disgusting.

EDIT: And the one that followed by Katie was also bad. Leave french fries alone, people!

I know!!!! They are doing to fries what they did to hot dogs last year!! Ugh!! Nope!!!

i do miss Marcella because I thought she added some culinary expertise and I feel like learned ideas etc from her 

now we have Katie who asks sunny if the cheese will melt because of the hot fries and chicken she was putting on top of it 

oh boy 

Edited by Mammalou
  • Love 2

Geoffrey didn't eat anything today!  When Jeff's Patty Melt was passed down, he ate the pickle off of the plate, no bite of sandwich.   Disco fries he claimed were promised to Katie Lee.   Milkshake atrocity at the end?  No taste from it, he just held it up.    Now that I'm typing this, I'm thinking he might have tried the coleslaw.   Anyone else notice this?

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, tabloidlover said:

Geoffrey didn't eat anything today!  When Jeff's Patty Melt was passed down, he ate the pickle off of the plate, no bite of sandwich.   Disco fries he claimed were promised to Katie Lee.   Milkshake atrocity at the end?  No taste from it, he just held it up.    Now that I'm typing this, I'm thinking he might have tried the coleslaw.   Anyone else notice this?

YES! Husband and I watched the show today and we noticed it too! We commented on exactly what you said!

• Love 3

I noticed him grabbing the pickle too.  I'm sure he was pissy because he's above anything so plebian as a diner.  He even made a comment about his pie being too good for one. 

I have to tell Sunny but the jelly make it look like her milkshake was being served in a dirty glass strawberry parfait glass. 

On 2/3/2018 at 11:04 AM, MerBearHou said:

Omg I saw that comment- I even commented back in your defense... I was going to send you a screenshot but she blocked me! 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, butterbody said:

Omg I saw that comment- I even commented back in your defense... I was going to send you a screenshot but she blocked me! 

Thank you, Butterbody!!  I was so surprised at how ugly she got and FAST!  Such a shame -- I really like the show and faithfully watch every week -- won't be able to look at Sunny quite the same.  

• Love 1

I kinda don't mind this show if there's nothing else on.........but I agree, Sunny seems so nice, but she is so LOUD.  And Jeff Mauro is just unwatchable to me.  He ruins this show with his little boy stupid antics - if he has a segment on - the channel gets changed.  He has a hard on for Geoffrey, but cannot stand Marcella nor Katie.  

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

Nosed around on her instagram. Anybody know which post this was on so I can defend one of us?

It was on her post about the Diner show.  As kind as you are to offer to defend one of our PTV gang, do not worry about it.  Sunny doesn’t want to hear it, trust me!!

• Love 2
6 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

It was on her post about the Diner show.  As kind as you are to offer to defend one of our PTV gang, do not worry about it.  Sunny doesn’t want to hear it, trust me!!

Yikes! She did smack you down!

10 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

Now she is going to amp it up and say it all the time just to piss you off!

Haha probably! Like an annoying teenager...if you will :/ Grrrrrrr

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 2