Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Alibi

Drogo

And so it ends.   Yay?

The thing is that I really don't hate it or anything, but I realize that despite these ten episodes, I still really don't care what happened or where these characters will go next.  Sure, I like Jaime, but I'm not all excited over her finding a new band, since she got fired from the Nasty Bits because of the riff over her being involved with Kip and the lead guitarist.  Lester's cool, but he hasn't been used enough sadly.  And I'm guessing Zak walking away is hinting he might be done with them, but unless Ray Romano wants out, I'm sure he'll somehow be back and keep being abused by Richie.

Speaking of wanting out, Devon didn't even appear in this episode, so I wonder if she'll even be in the picture again.  It's not like Olivia Wilde is desperate for work or anything.  She has a big enough profile that she can easily find work elsewhere, so I wonder if she has even signed up for season two.

I was so hoping they would find a convoluted way to end the mafia plot for good, but no such luck.

I certainly hope the new showrunner will shake things up next season.  This show really should have been better then it was.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 5

What a terrible missed opportunity. Smh. So stupid. Instead of focusing on the beauty of the artists and the purity of the art, Cornball Richie is blubbering around as a snitch/lying pos/corny douche bag/soulless moron. Ugh. And his lame speech at the end? <eyeroll>  And writing the F-word on the wall in spray paint? How imaginative, revolutionary, and innovative. He's like the loser-y 7th grader everyone thinks is a creep and an idiot.

• Love 3
I think this was a worse first season of an HBO drama since Leftovers.

Or that horrible True Detective. God, that was bad!!!

I heard that Terrance got fired. Will that improve the show next season? Thoughts?

• Love 1

I liked The Nasty Bits and we got a glimpse of the real New York Dolls (aka actors playing them--one of whom REALLY looked like David Johanson) digging them, and Richie's speech about roll & roll at the end.  Never mind that it was not convincing coming from Richie who was a scumbag who never otherwise convinced us that he cared about the music at all.  The  rest of it--awful.  Why even introduce a Mafia plot if you don't resolve it? I blame Scorcese.  He doesn't know how to do anything else but Mafia plots.  Next time, more Jagger, and very little Scorcese.

• Love 1

Finally got around to watching this.  I suppose not bad.  I could not care less about the mob story, though I'm glad Corso is gone.  The music story is alright.  I liked the reference and music of  Queen and the up and coming dance/punk music stories (shout outs sights of the Ramones and CBGB).  Ritchie's personal life, I don't care.  I appreciated that he didn't really fire Jamie from the company, just the band, and respects her ability enough to say go out and find another band. 

I hope next season is better.

• Love 1
(edited)

Was Tommie James ever out of it?  The lengths the mob went to in keeping him beholden, all allegedly!, are legendary.  Seems to me TPTB have no intention of letting this arc go - just as Galosso (sp?) would never let go of Richie.  Happily, we viewers are allowed to let go at will.  :)

The one thing I actually appreciated in this ep was how the crowd lustily booed the Bits when they were introduced.  Yay!  Realism!  That is just how it would have been.

No payoff at all with the Osmond records scam?  Shocking.  Not.

We're at two murders now.  To quote CSNY, "How many more?!"

Another question is begged:  Which is the greater offense, the murder of two scumbags, or the foisting of Disco on the American public?

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
12 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Another question is begged:  Which is the greater offense, the murder of two scumbags, or the foisting of Disco on the American public?

You really have to ask? 

I kept yelling, "NOOOO, don't do it!!  You're setting music back ten years!!" 

I had to wince at the CBGB bit at the end.  After glimsping the Ramones a few minutes earlier, this was just too friggin' much.  (And aren't we still a few years ahead of all of that?  It's ostensibly '73-74, not '76-77.)

Pardon the off-topic, but Cheap Trick is in the rock hall of fame but Yes isn't?  (smh)

On 5/9/2016 at 3:17 PM, JZL said:

I had to wince at the CBGB bit at the end.  After glimsping the Ramones a few minutes earlier, this was just too friggin' much.  (And aren't we still a few years ahead of all of that?  It's ostensibly '73-74, not '76-77.)

Ramones in 1974 at CBGB

• Love 4
20 hours ago, Totale said:

Ramones in 1974 at CBGB

Oh, wow, thanks for the info.  I need to go watch "End of the Century" again.

FWIW, this reminded me that a good friend of mine back then had a bumper sticker that said, "I'd rather eat barbed wire than listen to DISCO."

4 hours ago, JZL said:

Oh, wow, thanks for the info.  I need to go watch "End of the Century" again.

Love Joey's stage moves.  And even though they are arguing on stage like they were CSNY or something, they're still day and night better than the Nasty Bits.

• Love 4

Lord, that Ramone's clip is awesome and is everything this show is not.  End of Century is one of the best documentaries ever.  Seriously, even if you do not give two shits about the punk scene in New York, you will still really enjoy it...it's that good.

• Love 1

Another good one is "American Hardcore."  Some of the people in that one are so, uh, hardcore that to them the Ramones were sellouts.  There's plenty of Ian MacKaye and Henry Rollins, and many others.  Unfortunately, Dead Kennedys refused to be involved and IIRC refused to even allow the band to be mentioned, which is a shame.  

• Love 1

So I had heard that this was a decent show and decided to binge watch it. First, I have to remember who I had heard that from and take future recommendations into account. Second, I have a really hazy memory from the period the show's about, but I recall it not being at all like the show. I loved the music and the energy of the period, but maybe that's the fact that I was young, and there's some nostalgia coloring things. I worked at a club on Long Island that became a disco/nightclub while I was employed as a bartender, but also worked as concert security at my SUNY school, where the head of concerts was under attack for pushing punk/new wave bands while half the school wanted Allman Brothers or the Dead (who my roommate traveled with because he sold drugs), and I would also sneak into the Village to go to the gay clubs occasionally since I wasn't out yet. I loved EVERY genre of music and got to meet the most amazing people and did the BEST drugs (but NEVER with the OOT reactions of the people on this show!) and even had a few photoshoots ala Devon. It was awesome and fun and energetic and somehow this show made it tedious.

I think they tried too hard to shoehorn the murder plot and the associated hangers-on that came with it. I hated Cannavale in Boardwalk Empire, and he repulsed me here as well, which did not help matters with him being the lead.

That said, I liked enough of the glimpses of what the show might have been (could be?) to give it a shot next season, so long as maybe they take some of the focus off of Ritchie. The dance music scene is really kind of a flip side to what will be the punk/New wave rise. In the final analysis, all everyone really wanted to do was dance.

• Love 3

You know The Seventies Show was very silly, buy I remember a lot of people who were alive at the time relating to it.  They said they were just like Eric Forman and his friends, smoking pot and hanging out in their parents unfinished basement.

I have yet to hear of one person claim that this show in any way accurately represent the scene at the time.  It's strange since the people behind it are so talented and should have an insider's look into how things were.  However, I agree this show has some potential and might stay if they retool.

• Love 1