Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: I Like Them All, I Just Can't Choose!

• Start Topic

40 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2017/06/15/us-open-blimp-flying-near-golf-tournament-crashes.html#

What the fresh hell is going on?

I'm stabby too.  Just left the glue gun hell hole that is Hobby Lobby, shopping in 80+ degree heat for over an hour, dripping wet, get to the checkout line (now 6 carts deep), hear the cashier call for help over the PA 3 times, to no avail.  The manager shows up to help her void a transaction, then proceeds to walk away...and the Irish/German redhead in me kicked in.  I yelled, yes yelled at her to tell me where she would like me to leave my cart full of ($160 bucks) merchandise, since she wasn't interested in taking my money, and apparently no one else was either.  She sweetly invited me over to lane 12 (we were in lane 1) and checked me through.  

We finished as besties.

Good for you!  This Irish/German woman has been known to cause a scene if necessary. 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I'm stabby too.  Just left the glue gun hell hole that is Hobby Lobby, shopping in 80+ degree heat for over an hour, dripping wet, get to the checkout line (now 6 carts deep), hear the cashier call for help over the PA 3 times, to no avail.  The manager shows up to help her void a transaction, then proceeds to walk away...and the Irish/German redhead in me kicked in.  I yelled, yes yelled at her to tell me where she would like me to leave my cart full of ($160 bucks) merchandise, since she wasn't interested in taking my money, and apparently no one else was either.  She sweetly invited me over to lane 12 (we were in lane 1) and checked me through.  

We finished as besties.

I've been to Hobby Lobby once. We have one on the other side of town that has been open for a few years. It has one of the smallest parking lots for a shopping center.  I wasn't impressed. I prefer AC Moore. It's closer to my house and they offer a military discount on all purchases. 

Tomorrow is the last day of school. I'll miss the peace and quiet, but I'm glad to have them home. The older boy is starting high school in the fall, which is hard to believe. I miss the little kids, but I'm enjoying this stage where they're more self sufficient and grown up. I'm just not ready for him to start driving. 

8 hours ago, PearlClutcher said:

I'm in a real mood.  People not getting the L&L idea, hate for Iris, and other assorted crappola.  I loathe the Skunk for obvious reasons.  Over at the Q board there are azzhats criticizing people for making suggestions in the Suggestion Box for jeebus' sake. Agree that Iris has gaudy joolery and L&L is just storage.  LR takes pics of shifty looking food and her and her crew are nuts. Why do I even care?  We have real first world probs.   I wonder if watching the Q and the heat is getting to me.  I'm finding myself getting stabby with myself.  Anyone have one of those days?

I feel your pain.  Some changes at work this week have sent my anxiety in overdrive.  I consume far, far too much news and talk radio and it is really starting to get to me.  There is literally zero good news stories around these days, its nothing but sensationalism and click bait headlines.  You really have to search to find good news stories.

@Bronx Babe...you are in my thoughts.  Sorry for your loss.  

Good evening, all.

BB- Thinking of you. First few days, weeks afterwards it the worst I though.

Prayers welcome... Joe goes in for the Pet Scan tomorrow to search for cancer other than the liver. We take the disk to his surgeon to hear the results Monday. Another weekend to stress...

I have determined that since I have always struggled with patience, this is my ultimate test from God.

I watch a lot of Weather Channel, Q (for comedic relief) and HGTV  and Yankee games just to limit my news intake. I don't think it is healthy to take in too much negativity.

(edited)

Happy birthday week, @SentimentalLady!

My peaceful place these days is ignoring the news, but I finally got some financial issues straightened out with the Social Security peeps, and that made me smile.

I gave my bathroom a good clean and am enjoying the sense of satisfaction from that. Ah, that bleachy smell! My best friend is back in town after a visit with her grandkids, and we went to see Wonder Woman and had a great lunch at my favorite restaurant.

My cat doesn't like to be held but she often plops down on my hand and gazes at me in a mysterious yet comforting way.

zelda.JPG

Edited by Lord Donia
4 hours ago, SentimentalLady said:

When did it become acceptable to be, as you say, an azzhat?  It exhausts me. 

When the friggin store manager ignores a line full of customers, wanting to give their hard-earned money to her employer, and she ignores them because she has a report to do.  That's one time...but I could go on.

3 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

I've been to Hobby Lobby once. We have one on the other side of town that has been open for a few years. It has one of the smallest parking lots for a shopping center.  I wasn't impressed. I prefer AC Moore. It's closer to my house and they offer a military discount on all purchases. 

Tomorrow is the last day of school. I'll miss the peace and quiet, but I'm glad to have them home. The older boy is starting high school in the fall, which is hard to believe. I miss the little kids, but I'm enjoying this stage where they're more self sufficient and grown up. I'm just not ready for him to start driving. 

Wow, this seems late to be finishing up?  Ours have been done since last week of May.

(edited)

I've been to Hobby Lobby once. We have one on the other side of town that has been open for a few years. It has one of the smallest parking lots for a shopping center.  I wasn't impressed.

When I'm in the right frame of mind (today, not so much), I could spend hours in there just getting ideas if nothing else.  They are most certainly NOT the least expensive place to buy some of their stuff, but they are great for last minute stuff, or if you just don't want to screw with the innerwebs.  I'm trying to design the decor for a granddaughter's bridal shower, and it's tough to do on line when you cant see, feel the stuff and judge sizes, etc.  For me it is.

2 hours ago, Cricket said:

Good evening, all.

Prayers welcome... Joe goes in for the Pet Scan tomorrow to search for cancer other than the liver. We take the disk to his surgeon to hear the results Monday. Another weekend to stress...

I have determined that since I have always struggled with patience, this is my ultimate test from God.

I watch a lot of Weather Channel, Q (for comedic relief) and HGTV  and Yankee games just to limit my news intake. I don't think it is healthy to take in too much negativity.

I officially separated from Facebook about 3 wks ago, and have taken my Twitter consumption down to almost nothing.  Like you, I was spending far too much time consuming negative bullchit.  My contributions on the other thread are down also.  I'm not a saint, I've said mean things, but I cannot and will not hold a candle to some of it.  Thankfully.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
1 hour ago, Cricket said:

Good evening, all.

Cricket - thinking of and praying for you and Joe.  ((Hugs))

(edited)
1 hour ago, Lord Donia said:

zelda.JPG

That look says "I'm here for you Mom".

Good evening, all.

I'm not a very good prayer, but if you'll take my well wishes and positive thoughts, I give them freely.  I wish things could be different, but for now I wish you strength and clarity and good sleep!  Be well.

The closest Hobby Lobby is 30 minutes away, which I hate, so I don't go there often.  But it's a new one and it's COLOSSAL!!  I just wish it was closer to home but then again, maybe it's a good thing it's not.  Just sayin'.  I've heard of AC Moore but never seen one in my area.  All we have nearby is Michaels and they're okay, but maybe they'd be better if they had some nearby competition. 

5 hours ago, SentimentalLady said:

You and @PearlClutcher perfectly stated how I have been feeling lately.  Add to it three 98 degree days out of nowhere.  On a positive note my husband and I both celebrated birthdays this week.

I do chuckle everytime I see "azzhat".  I don't know if I ever heard that before coming here.

OH!  Happiest of birthdays to you and your husband, my friend!  Hope you did something fun to celebrate!

Happy-Birthday-Glittering-Picture-1.gif

Good evening, all.

@Cricket, you and Joe are my thoughts and prayers. 

1 hour ago, Lord Donia said:

My peaceful place these days is ignoring the news, but I finally got some financial issues straightened out with the Social Security peeps, and that made me smile.

I gave my bathroom a good clean and am enjoying the sense of satisfaction from that. Ah, that bleachy smell! My best friend is back in town after a visit with her grandkids, and we went to see Wonder Woman and had a great lunch at my favorite restaurant.

My cat doesn't like to be held but she often plops down on my hand and gazes at me in a mysterious yet comforting way.

zelda.JPG

She is so pretty!  One of mine doesn't like to be held, either (I force myself on her, though, and she is starting to come around.....).  That mysterious look yours is giving you is to die for - what a beauty!  You can tell she loves her mamma!

5 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2017/06/15/us-open-blimp-flying-near-golf-tournament-crashes.html#

What the fresh hell is going on?

We finished as besties.

I'm a fan of Hobby Lobby, too, if only for the breadth of stuff they carry.  You can find ANYHING in there.  The one drawback in my store is that there are very few cashiers. 

3 hours ago, Lord Donia said:

zelda.JPG

Aw, she's a sweetie! I'm partial to tabbies. I have two currently, and have had two other tabbies that passed on.

1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

When the friggin store manager ignores a line full of customers, wanting to give their hard-earned money to her employer, and she ignores them because she has a report to do.  That's one time...but I could go on.

Wow, this seems late to be finishing up?  Ours have been done since last week of May.

We do the traditional schedule that starts the day after Labor Day. They're required to go 180 days. They almost always finish the Friday before Father's Day. They've tried to start earlier, but the tourism industry pitches a fit because they need the high school workers, especially once the college workers go back to school. 

We (metro Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN) also start after Labor Day, due to tourism as well.  We are usually done the end of the first week of June, or beginning of second week.

3 hours ago, Cricket said:

Good evening, all.

You and Joe are in my thoughts and prayers, @Cricket. Just take it one day at a time, one step at a time. It's such a great idea to stay away from negativity. One of my friends is in treatment for a particularly aggressive type of breast cancer. When she was diagnosed, she decided to immerse herself in positive thoughts, and bought a bunch of books on positive thinking. It's really helped her stay hopeful - and, most importantly, her treatment plan is working and things are looking very promising so far. So you never know how things are going to go.

We're here for you!

(edited)

(((Cricket & Joe))) praying for peace for you this weekend.  It's not an easy wait.  If you're up for it, do something frivolous and fun.  

I am celebrating my 35th anniversary of being cancer free.  I am still not all the way back from pneumonia, but feel like a humanoid for the first time in a month.  We've had poor air quality warnings this week, so it's been an indoor week.

Still missing my pooch, but I have lots of pics to remind me.

I have not read much of the other board since I got sick, but I agree that it's been kind of bringing me down.  

I am not a big fan of Hobby Lobby, for many reasons.

Edited by seahag
7 hours ago, seahag said:

(((Cricket & Joe))) praying for peace for you this weekend.  It's not an easy wait.  If you're up for it, do something frivolous and fun.  

I am celebrating my 35th anniversary of being cancer free.  I am still not all the way back from pneumonia, but feel like a humanoid for the first time in a month.  We've had poor air quality warnings this week, so it's been an indoor week.

I have not read much of the other board since I got sick, but I agree that it's been kind of bringing me down.  

I am not a big fan of Hobby Lobby, for many reasons.

Always love hearing you say "35 years cancer free"

cute-heart-gif-878.gif

7 hours ago, seahag said:

Congratulations on 35 years!  What a blessing.  Glad you're feeling better.

9 hours ago, Booney said:

You and Joe are in my thoughts and prayers, @Cricket. Just take it one day at a time, one step at a time. It's such a great idea to stay away from negativity. One of my friends is in treatment for a particularly aggressive type of breast cancer. When she was diagnosed, she decided to immerse herself in positive thoughts, and bought a bunch of books on positive thinking. It's really helped her stay hopeful - and, most importantly, her treatment plan is working and things are looking very promising so far. So you never know how things are going to go.

We're here for you!

Cricket, thinking of you and Joe this morning, I've had you in my prayers and hope that Joe's surgeon has a good plan of attack that will kick that his cancer in the ass!  I know its hard, but please check in and let us know how it's going.   We're all here to support you and Joe, no matter what!

14 hours ago, Lord Donia said:

zelda.JPG

Thanks very much.  What a relief to make some progress with your SS paperwork. I have to do a mortgage refi soon and I am not looking forward to it.  Your cat looks like my Ozzy.  We cannot hold him.  I think he was in the cage too long.  My other cat loves the bleach smell and I have to keep her away.  

Mary Beth is on now with one of the new hosts.  I'm getting a slight kardashian vibe from her?.

13 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

The quote starting "when did it become acceptable ..." is not from me although it was attributed to me in quote box.  I don't know what happened.

33 minutes ago, PearlClutcher said:

My sister and I say azzhats quite a bit, idk why.  Btw, hope you and the hubs had a great celebration! 

Thanks!  I always have a visual with phrase. 

12 hours ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

OH!  Happiest of birthdays to you and your husband, my friend!  Hope you did something fun to celebrate!

Happy-Birthday-Glittering-Picture-1.gif

Thanks Dear.

Is anyone familiar with Cool Off towelettes?  I found out about them from a menopause discussion.  I loved to use one after walking in the summer.  I used to get them at Drugstore.com but now I can't find them anywhere.  A search has the producted listed on Amazon but it is not available.  I would love to find them or sonething similar.

I wanted to add that the new host Courtney has a pleasant voice.  I like the colors of the Lola Rose jewelry but it is expensive for me.

In "what's making me happy today" news is the TNT show Claws. Only the pilot has aired so far, but I really liked it. It's set in a nail salon in South Florida and I had the idea it was gonna be a Barbershop kind of comedy but with women. It's actually more an Elmore Leonard seedy noir crime drama with some hijinks.

In an interview in Variety, the female showrunner talked about the very specific, bright esthetic of the area: "When you go to Florida, it's not all black clothing. People are wearing colors and they are unapologetic about wearing colors."

That pinged my heart. Yay for cheerful fabrics! I've always been a wearer of colorful, flower-ful garments, even in places where it was not necessarily the norm. My husband used to (mostly kiddingly) refer to them as my clown clothes.

If any of the tops look like a solid color, chances are there's a design on the front!

closet.JPG

I know this is a bit random, but hey, that's what this forum is for right?

For those of you that still have landlines do you get tons (I've had eight of these this morning already!) phone calls that appear to be coming from various places across the country?  Today, and its only 10 a.m. here, I've had calls from Austin TX, San Modesto CA, Newark NJ, Selma AL, Reno NV and Shreveport LA.  I answered the Shreveport call because I have relatives there, it was some guy trying to sell me an extended car warranty.  My car is 8 years old.  I hung up on him. 

I've been paying extra to have an unlisted phone #, but I'm going to tell the phone company that they can go ahead and list me.  The only reason I had it unlisted initially was because of stalking issues I had with my Ex, who was still able to find out where I lived (thank you Mr. Google).  The "Do Not Call List" is a joke.   Anybody have any suggestions?   I can't go wireless because my fire/home alarm are tied into the landline and I'm not in the positon right now to shell $$ out to go completely wireless.

The hot temperatures(its 83 already and it's only June!) and a nasty case of poison ivy are making me especially stabby today, so apologies in advance for my crabapple disposition!

(edited)
25 minutes ago, zoemom said:

For those of you that still have landlines do you get tons (I've had eight of these this morning already!) phone calls that appear to be coming from various places across the country?  Today, and its only 10 a.m. here, I've had calls from Austin TX, San Modesto CA, Newark NJ, Selma AL, Reno NV and Shreveport LA.  I answered the Shreveport call because I have relatives there, it was some guy trying to sell me an extended car warranty.  My car is 8 years old.  I hung up on him. 

I've been paying extra to have an unlisted phone #, but I'm going to tell the phone company that they can go ahead and list me.  The only reason I had it unlisted initially was because of stalking issues I had with my Ex, who was still able to find out where I lived (thank you Mr. Google).  The "Do Not Call List" is a joke.   Anybody have any suggestions?   I can't go wireless because my fire/home alarm are tied into the landline and I'm not in the positon right now to shell $$ out to go completely wireless.

The hot temperatures(its 83 already and it's only June!) and a nasty case of poison ivy are making me especially stabby today, so apologies in advance for my crabapple disposition!

Don't have a LL any longer, but I get them on my cell.  I just don't answer an unknown number.  Harder maybe on a LL, unless you have Caller ID.  You're right, the No Call List is a joke.  My advice would be to just not answer.  Any caller/relative with something important to say will leave a message.  I sometimes wonder if these douche nozzles get bonuses if we actually pick up the call.

Sorry you're not feeling yourself.  Get better!

13 minutes ago, Lord Donia said:

In "what's making me happy today" news is the TNT show Claws. Only the pilot has aired so far, but I really liked it. It's set in a nail salon in South Florida and I had the idea it was gonna be a Barbershop kind of comedy but with women. It's actually more an Elmore Leonard seedy noir crime drama with some hijinks.

In an interview in Variety, the female showrunner talked about the very specific, bright esthetic of the area: "When you go to Florida, it's not all black clothing. People are wearing colors and they are unapologetic about wearing colors."

That pinged my heart. Yay for cheerful fabrics! I've always been a wearer of colorful, flower-ful garments, even in places where it was not necessarily the norm. My husband used to (mostly kiddingly) refer to them as my clown clothes.

If any of the tops look like a solid color, chances are there's a design on the front!

closet.JPG

Yea for festive clothes Lord Donia! I agree, colours can affect your mood, from the tone of my post before yours you'd think I was wearing all black! 

I think that's one of the reasons I always feel better when I do get the opportunity to go to the beach is that I generally take bright coloured clothes, the sun, sand and waves don't hurt either, but I do like wearing bright colours.  Where I currently work, we have to wear black scrub tops (I hate them).  The rest of the staff (which the majority are millennials and GenXr's chose this colour scheme), but they're really not practical, you can see all the dog/cat hair clinging to it and I feel like I spend half the day de-furring myself.   I'm looking for a new job, hopefully one where I can wear my own "colourful" wardrobe!

(edited)
27 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Don't have a LL any longer, but I get them on my cell.  I just don't answer an unknown number.  Harder maybe on a LL, unless you have Caller ID.  You're right, the No Call List is a joke.  My advice would be to just not answer.  Any caller/relative with something important to say will leave a message.  I

This, and I also Google the phone number.  It lets me know if others have received calls from the number and their experiences.   But you, of course, need caller ID that shows at least the number calling. 

Edited by WaitForMe
47 minutes ago, zoemom said:

Is it a regular land line or the kind that is tied in with your internet service? I have AT&T Uverse home phone it's a VoIP landline that's tied into needing the internet to work. I use a free service called Nomorobo. When those kinds of calls come through the phone will ring once and will hand up on the robo machine calling. On the off chance it happens to be a real person that's calling they'll get a message saying I'm using that service and it will give them a code to put in so the call will go through. They also have a way to report robo numbers to their database if they get through without being detected. I also use Google to look up numbers. 800Notes is a good way to look up rogue numbers your unsure about too. What's so annoying is as you have seen they have ways to make cites they aren't even in show up as the caller on the Caller ID.

1 hour ago, zoemom said:

I get call from all over the country, one day I looked on my call log and I got 14 calls from Cooperstown NY. I thought perhaps I was chosen for the hall of fame. LOL. I have caller ID, so I never answer unknown numbers, but they are " nice" enough to leave messages. One day last week I got a message that I owed , the IRS, I had a debt that needed to be paid  and a security breach from Apple, all scams. I wish that these people would get real jobs.

1 hour ago, zoemom said:

We still have a landline along with caller ID.  If I don't recognize the number, I don't answer.  To be honest, my landline phone is a call screening device at this point!  99% of the time, the caller hangs up.  If they leave a message, it's like the calls @Lady J mentioned - the one from the supposed "IRS" saying we owed money has been showing up frequently.  I've thought about giving up the landline, but it's tied to a package deal with Verizon Fios for internet and cable tv, and when we tried to get rid of it, it was not that much money we'd get back versus the hassle of letting everyone know our new phone#. 

But.......to answer your question, yes!  When I look at the list of calls that have come in, a slew of them are from all over the country.  Telemarketers are no longer using 800 numbers.  They are probably using their cell phones!!

2 hours ago, zoemom said:

They obviously know your answering habits. We used to get tons of robocalls in the landline, which my hubby still uses as he finally gets used to wireless, around 7pm, since one of us stupidly answered the phone, thinking that it was one of my nephews. Oops. 

30 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

Meanwhile, QVC still has a 5-7 delivery of shipments. When the heck are they going to realize it's 2017. I do 98% of my shopping with Amazon.

Amazon just launched Prime Now here yesterday.  I was almost out of a personal item (okay, it was pee pads for my lovely leaking bladder) that I normally order from Amazon.  I knew I'd run out before my two day delivery so I thought I'd have to schlep to Walgreens in the heat since my car is temporarily out of commission.

I looked on Prime Now (which offers free same day delivery) and holy cow!  The price was 30% less than Walgreens.  So I placed my order and had my delivery in my hot little hands last evening, which is when I'd scheduled it.

I'm in love!  It was an awesome experience.

I already use Safeway delivery for my groceries, but Prime Now offers groceries through Sprouts (an organic farmers market type store for those not familiar with it) and I'll probably use them for my produce so I can replenish my fruits and vegetables often without having to pay a $10 delivery fee to Safeway for an order under $150.  Hopefully, with Amazon's purchase of Whole Foods today, they won't change from Sprouts.  WF is waaay too expensive.

Anyhoo, Amazon is soon to open a new fulfillment center here any day now.  Prime Now already has a large variety of products, but with the fulfillment center I bet I'll be able to get just about anything without even waiting the two days.  There's no way the Q can compete with that.

4 hours ago, zoemom said:

I still have a land line, but never answer it (it's part of my cable/internet package). I set it to ring just twice, and then it goes to voicemail. My family and friends know to call me on my cell, and anyone else can leave a message.

27 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Amazon just launched Prime Now here yesterday.  I was almost out of a personal item (okay, it was pee pads for my lovely leaking bladder) that I normally order from Amazon.  I knew I'd run out before my two day delivery so I thought I'd have to schlep to Walgreens in the heat since my car is temporarily out of commission.

I looked on Prime Now (which offers free same day delivery) and holy cow!  The price was 30% less than Walgreens.  So I placed my order and had my delivery in my hot little hands last evening, which is when I'd scheduled it.

I'm in love!  It was an awesome experience.

I already use Safeway delivery for my groceries, but Prime Now offers groceries through Sprouts (an organic farmers market type store for those not familiar with it) and I'll probably use them for my produce so I can replenish my fruits and vegetables often without having to pay a $10 delivery fee to Safeway for an order under $150.  Hopefully, with Amazon's purchase of Whole Foods today, they won't change from Sprouts.  WF is waaay too expensive.

Anyhoo, Amazon is soon to open a new fulfillment center here any day now.  Prime Now already has a large variety of products, but with the fulfillment center I bet I'll be able to get just about anything without even waiting the two days.  There's no way the Q can compete with that.

There is no way any one can compete with Amazon.  I use them quite frequently, since we have a fulfillment center in Baltimore (I'm about 30 minutes outside of Baltimore).  I have found them to be less expensive on a whole lot of things.. A couple of days ago, the lock/handle on our sliding glass door to our patio became very loose and almost fell out.....my husband tried to fix it but decided to just get a new handle and replace it, since he couldn't tell what was wrong with it, and he didn't want the whole thing to come off and then not be able to lock the door until he was able to get a new handle.  He went to both Lowes and Home Depot and couldn't find the right size he needed.  We got on Amazon, and they had it and it was $11 instead of $21.  AND we had it delivered that evening.

I have purchased my cat's food there - Hill Science Diet is much cheaper than Petco or PetSmart and I don't have to schlep it in my house (wish that cat litter was less expensive at Amazon - my brand is not.  In fact, it's almost twice what I pay at Target).  Drugstore items have been less expensive, too.  I have even bought those DiBella biscotti they sell at QVC on Amazon!  I was having trouble finding a product called Gly Oxide (really good product if you bite the inside of your mouth - it's a  liquid gel of hydrogen peroxide that clears up the issue asap) in any of my local stores - Amazon had it!  Ordered it on a Sunday morning and had it that evening.

@lovemesomejoolery - Thanks for that tip about Gly Oxide.  I bit myself the other day, and it's driving me nuts!

When I had cats, I used to get litter from Amazon on subscribe and save.  It was great not having to schlep around 40 lb. boxes of litter.  Then the brand I used stopped offering it that way.

Have you tried Chewy.com?

(edited)
42 minutes ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

(wish that cat litter was less expensive at Amazon - my brand is not.

Don't know what you use, but I have been buying on Chewy.com, saving $1.50 per 15# tub from local grocery price, plus free delivery over certain $$.  The Fed Ex drivers have a voodoo doll of my image in their truck I think, lol.  They ship 45# per box, so I open them on the porch and bring the individual containers inside, the take the cardboard to the local recycle hopper down the street.

They were actually cheaper than Amazon, because it wasn't available on Prime, so shipping was prohibitive.
5 hours ago, zoemom said:

I actually have two landlines - one for the home and a second dedicated line for my business. The home line is unlisted and I do get some marketing calls on it, but not many. The business line is another story - robo calls and scam calls all day long. Like you, they're from all over the country. But lately, these callers have been spoofing local numbers and the caller ID will come up with a local number and someone's name. I have caller ID on both lines and never, ever answer the phone if I don't recognize the person or number on caller ID. Even if it's a potential client, I figure they'll leave a message. I'm on the Do Not Call registry for both lines and agree with what others have said - it's a joke.

I also use the 800notes website to check to see if others have received calls from these numbers. Www.whocallsme.com is also good. 

I don't get many of these kinds of calls on my cell, thankfully. 

(edited)
6 minutes ago, Booney said:

I don't get many of these kinds of calls on my cell, thankfully. 

Up until about a year ago, I never got any on my cell.  That changed, and I don't know which outfit I provided my number to, that changed it.  On my cell, I use the HIYA app, which is caller ID, offers call blocking, will automatically block suspected spam/telemarketers, and also shows feedback from other recipients of these calls.  It's a good, free app if anyone is looking for one for their cell.  That said, it's apps like these that have prompted these spammers to spoof local and legit numbers, to avoid the block.  Still don't answer calls if an ID doesn't pop up, from a known contact.  If they need me, they'll leave a message!

5 hours ago, zoemom said:

Boy, you really nailed one of my pet peeves!  I have gotten one to three spam calls a day for many years on my landline. I keep the landline because it will work during a long term power outage (like after a bad storm), unlike VoIP "imitation landline" which will go dead when the batteries run out. Also, if you have to call 911, they can tell exactly where you are with a landline, unlike a cellphone. If there is an emergency where you are having trouble speaking, the ability to pinpoint your address is very helpful.

Anyway ...  yes, Do Not Call is a big joke. I've been on the list for years. I have Caller ID and an unlisted number. But spammers use a computer program to sequentially dial numbers, so it doesn't matter any more whether your number is unlisted. I am also driven crazy with political roboclls every time there's an upcoming election.

I never used to get spam calls on my cellphone, but since May I've started getting some almost every day.

Like others, I just don't answer the phone if I don't recognize the number. I Google the number to see what others have reported. One good spam reporting site is 800notes.com.  The problem with not answering is that sometimes I miss legit calls, such as calls from medical clinics to confirm appointments. I have to write down their numbers and keep them by the phone so I'll know whether to answer.

Isn't it pathetic that you can't even answer the phone any more because of these relentless spammers and fraudsters? Our voice communications system has been ruined by these creeps.