Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E11: 8 Chefs Compete

• Start Topic

Episode synopsis: The teams can only have one chef in the kitchen at a time as they prepare three entrees, each with a different protein; actress Lainie Kazan and comedian Bill Engvali are guests at dinner service.

I feel sorry for Hassan, Chad, and others who went home before Jackie, who were more talented chefs than she was. I'm torn, though. For those of you who watched this last (boring boring boring) Bachelor, Jackie was the Olivia of the season, and I feel like the show will be less hate-watchable now (as formulaic as it is, her act was kind of a new one, if an amped-up Robyn from sous-chef Christina's season).

No, Frank, they didn't vote you last episode because they see you as a threat. They voted you because you're an unpleasant, dour misogynist. Lighten up, Francis. (And how apt is that?)

• Love 11

Wow, I'm surprised Jackie is gone. She wasn't a chef for long, brought the drama, and was from Joisey. Would've thought she would've gotten a black jacket, but alas the bisexual in the group did not want to fuck her. She does apparently want Jared's D so he's probably gone next episode because they're shown hugging each other :( I wanted nice guy Jared to win, but because this show doesn't give a shit about talent, this isn't going to happen.

No, Frank, they didn't vote you last episode because they see you as a threat. They voted you because you're an unpleasant, dour misogynist. Lighten up, Francis. (And how apt is that?)

Frank needs to grow up and realize the "dour sourpuss" act only works if the people you're pulling it on care about you as a person and value your company. Otherwise, they'll just ignore you and wait until you're gone.

Just checking in to see who got the boot. Glad Jackie is gone also. What did she do (or not do) to get the axe?

Same old, same old: being an incompetent chef and unpleasant person.
  • Love 2

Um, gee. Sorry I missed that.

I will say that from what I did see in earlier weeks, Christina seems to be resisting the pull fairly successfully.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

FINALLY. Strangely I didn't hate Jackie as much this episode, but I think it finally settled in that even though Jackie was a rating's booster, she could end up winning this thing at this rate, so she had to go.

Now it appears Frank is the hate figure. Frank's problem isn't that he's a bad chef or anything like that - quite the opposite. He's a great chef, but it's like as soon as he's done what's expected of him, he doesn't have to do anything else. He works on his station and his station only, nothing else, and that's why he peeves off everyone.

Dannie's had the weirdest edit I've seen. She started off well, took a serious nosedive and then slowly built herself up again. Kristin's my favourite, for some reason she reminds me of that 90's country chick, and I quite like

Oh yeah, and I seriously dislike SC Christina. Andi never felt the need to be as abrasive or unkind.

Black jackets:

• Ashley
  • Ariel
  • Jared
  • Dannie
  • Kristin
  • Manda

If Frank gets a black jacket I swear I don't know what I'll do.

• Love 2

I don't know what took so long to get rid of Jackie but if Gordon doesn't take the reins of this show back I can't but think it will damage his brand. The show is barely watchable at this point, I fastforward through all of Frank and Jackie's talking heads, actually I think I do that to all of them now.

I did see part of Jackie's when she was making fun of the woman's hat in a very racially manner and it showed her exploding into fire but it looked more like she turned into a flaming lump of shit. Anyone else see that or was it just my imagination?

I was missing Andi but loving the new Andi, she wasn't taking shit last night, awesome.

• Love 4

FINALLY. Strangely I didn't hate Jackie as much this episode, but I think it finally settled in that even though Jackie was a rating's booster, she could end up winning this thing at this rate, so she had to go.

Now it appears Frank is the hate figure. Frank's problem isn't that he's a bad chef or anything like that - quite the opposite. He's a great chef, but it's like as soon as he's done what's expected of him, he doesn't have to do anything else. He works on his station and his station only, nothing else, and that's why he peeves off everyone.

Dannie's had the weirdest edit I've seen. She started off well, took a serious nosedive and then slowly built herself up again. Kristin's my favourite, for some reason she reminds me of that 90's country chick, and I quite like

Oh yeah, and I seriously dislike SC Christina. Andi never felt the need to be as abrasive or unkind.

Black jackets:

• Ashley
  • Ariel
  • Jared
  • Dannie
  • Kristin
  • Manda

If Frank gets a black jacket I swear I don't know what I'll do.

Jackie was somewhat quieter but I definitely felt some racial overtones in her mocking of the hat and getting dressed up for the horse racing (and seriously, who does that?).

I also don't think Frank is a great chef.  He's okay, sometimes he seems pretty good other times he seems poor.  He is, though, consistently a terrible team player.  I could see him getting a black jacket over Manda, though.  Neither of those two are winning.

• Love 3

Jackie was somewhat quieter but I definitely felt some racial overtones in her mocking of the hat and getting dressed up for the horse racing (and seriously, who does that?).

I also don't think Frank is a great chef.  He's okay, sometimes he seems pretty good other times he seems poor.  He is, though, consistently a terrible team player.  I could see him getting a black jacket over Manda, though.  Neither of those two are winning.

To be fair, that crap Dannie was wearing on her head looked ridiculous. It looked like something from the awful Hallie Berry movie B.A.P.S.

As for Frank: No way he wins, simply because BLT would probably fire him within weeks. Who needs a sous or line chef who thinks he's better than the job and argues with everyone?

• Love 2

felt some racial overtones in her mocking of the hat and getting dressed up for the horse racing (and seriously, who does that?).

That happens in Kentucky, Virginia, Belmont...anywhere there are thoroughbreds racing. Southern California?? Never seen it there.

• Love 7

Manda and Frank are kind of like Nick from last year - they're okay, but given the chance to run the service, they'll likely screw up. Dannie might be too, but she had a strong signature dish in week one, and that's a pretty good tell (apart from La Tasha, lol).

Jared, Kristin, Ariel and Ashley are most likely the semi finalists. I was hoping for a male winner this year but I'm seriously doubting it.

Oh yeah, is this the first time in which EVERY chef has been up for nomination at least once?

Edited by hkalex
  • Love 1

And now we discover Jackie thinks she's sexually irresistible to just about everyone. What was next? Her one person manned trip to Mars? Her Pulitzer?

Tag team is fairer with these guys than it is with Masterchef.

Frank can go next.

• Love 2

And now we discover Jackie thinks she's sexually irresistible to just about everyone. What was next? Her one person manned trip to Mars? Her Pulitzer?

She's Puppet Lady 2.0.

• Love 1

Now I'm really confused by the show.  Of all the stupid shit Jackie has done since the first episode, this is the week she goes home?

And if making fun of that puffy ridiculousness on Dannie's head makes Jackie a racist, then I'm just a racist too.  Because I busted a gut looking at that stupid thing.

• Love 2

Now I'm really confused by the show.  Of all the stupid shit Jackie has done since the first episode, this is the week she goes home?

Gordon and TPTB got all the mileage they could out of her, and they didn't want her sticking around for the merger. So this was as good a week as any.
  • Love 2

I'm happy Jackie is gone, but I think the elimination was BS.  Based on the service, Ashley deserved to go home.  I knew she would be safe the minute she turned on the waterworks, but that doesn't change the fact that she had mistakes and no one else really did.  Yes, Jackie served the undercooked fish, but she has been constantly told that she needs to listen to her team and that they know more than her. Ashley should not have insisted that she put the fish up.  There were a million other times that GR could have sent Jackie home with good cause, this just didn't feel like it.

I just don't like Kristen, she bothers me -- the way she talks bugs, and oh yeah, she did lie to Chef....after insisting that she knew the right way to do something.

And if making fun of that puffy ridiculousness on Dannie's head makes Jackie a racist, then I'm just a racist too.  Because I busted a gut looking at that stupid thing.

I think both Amanda and Dannie looked ridiculous with their headwear.  Dannie's was only slightly more ridiculous.  I've been to Santa Anita, and just no.  Its not a place where Manda should be wearing her best Forever 21 looks.  

Jackie's mocking definitely had racial overtones.  Frank, amazingly was the only one dressed appropriately for a place like Santa Anita.  I guess someone told them they were going to the Kentucky Derby or some such nonsense.

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 2

I honestly thought Jackie was a lesbian herself, so to see her insisting that all lesbians HAVE TO LOVE her makes me wonder if the lady doth protest just a little bit too much.  I agree that she is puppet lady 2.0.  I had her pegged for a plant early on but she lasted longer than most of them.

Dannie's hat was only a little more ridiculous than her hair, IMHO.  I actually thought Jared's getup was retro and cute.  I think the campy attire was intended ironically, definitely not seriously.

Frank is a bonehead and strikes me as a misogynist to boot.  An arrogant prick who doesn't work well with others.  No way in HELL's KITCHEN is he going to win!

• Love 4

I honestly thought Jackie was a lesbian herself, so to see her insisting that all lesbians HAVE TO LOVE her makes me wonder if the lady doth protest just a little bit too much.  I agree that she is puppet lady 2.0.  I had her pegged for a plant early on but she lasted longer than most of them.

Dannie's hat was only a little more ridiculous than her hair, IMHO.  I actually thought Jared's getup was retro and cute.  I think the campy attire was intended ironically, definitely not seriously.

If I thought this was a slightly more sophisticated group I would agree that the decision of outfits was ironic.  But, all things considered, I have to think that they sincerely thought that they were going to some super fancy pants place and dressed accordingly.  

I think Jackie is a lesbian, for some reason I landed on her FB page and I think she has a girlfriend.

• Love 1

If I thought this was a slightly more sophisticated group I would agree that the decision of outfits was ironic.  But, all things considered, I have to think that they sincerely thought that they were going to some super fancy pants place and dressed accordingly.  

I think Jackie is a lesbian, for some reason I landed on her FB page and I think she has a girlfriend.

I honestly don't think any of them is creative enough to come up with those costumes themselves and were given coaching from the "wardrobe" department, who actually wanted them to look over the top/ridiculous.   So I think the irony was theirs not the "cheftestants".

Not surprised about Jackie, at least I think my gaydar is still in tact.

• Love 2

To be fair, that crap Dannie was wearing on her head looked ridiculous. It looked like something from the awful Hallie Berry movie B.A.P.S.

But we don't really think Dannie put that monstrosity in her suitcase when she packed for a cooking competition, do we?  In my opinion it was obviously supplied by the wardrobe department.

Edited by Omega Mu
  • Love 5

But we don't really think Dannie put that monstrosity in her suitcase when she packed for a cooking competition, do we?  In my opinion it was obviously supplied by the wardrobe department.

I find it hard to believe that anyone who went on that "reward" owned the clothing they were wearing.

• Love 5

Thank God Jackie is finally gone. I really didn't care if she produced a 5 star dinner this episode, she is a low class pig who does not belong in a professional kitchen. Her nose clearing simulation was probably her most disgusting moment this season, and that is saying a lot with all the low class garbage she has spouted. Casting people like her, and Frank, really lowers the show and GR in my opinion, although it apparently works for ratings.

The whole race track trip seemed staged, right down to their supposed winning ticket on "Number 2". Interesting that they never said how much was wagered or won.

Frank can go next, he might have some cooking skills, although I am still doubting that, but he has zero ability to work with or communicate with others in a kitchen environment. He is a legend in his own mind.

I lost a bit of respect for Kristin with her needless lie about putting the food in the oven, and then her childish attitude when it was pointed out.

At this point, I am leaning towards Ariel, or Jared for the win, but none of these bozos will convince me to make a stop at the restaurant on my next Vegas trip.

• Love 4

I agree. And elaborate hats are Kentucky Derbyshire stuff, not regular racetrack.

I wonder what they would do if a chef objected to horse racing on moral grounds. Because a lot of people, myself included, are Ok with eating animals, but find horse racing, circuses, etc, objectionable because of mistreatment of animals for the purpose of entertainment.

I think Jackie is what the cigarette marketers call a 'virile female,' which is to say a blue collar woman who adopts what are generally seen in popular culture as male signifiers. I don't think there's any known correlation between that and whose pants someone wants into.

I took the episode about the lesbians as Jackie or the producers trying to drag out her fifteen minutes.

Frank is a bonehead and strikes me as a misogynist to boot.  An arrogant prick who doesn't work well with others.  No way in HELL's KITCHEN is he going to win!

What always strikes me is that after the show is done guy's like Frank will have to go out to the real world and get jobs. What female owner of a restaurant would hire him now?? And lots of male owners wouldn't do it either. 

Obviously some owners would hire him for the buzz it might give their place...but he wont last long because he wont be able to keep a staff. 

• Love 3

Frank is  a United States Marine, so no, he's not a terrible team player.

If he's not able to treat his team with respect unless he's ordered to, then outside the USMC I'm afraid he is.

• Love 7

I told Mr. Snarkle that Jackie reminded me of someone but I couldn't put my finger on it.  Then he reminded me of a lesbian couple that lived above us in the Bronx in the 1980s.  We used to call them "Itchy and Scratchy" because they would get drunk and fight at all hours of the night.  One of them was exactly Jackie down to her face, the way she speaks, everything.  She thought she was some tough chick.  They would wake us up at 3:00 a.m. yelling vile names at each other and throwing furniture.  After a year or so of this we finally complained to the landlord who put them on notice that if it happened again they would be evicted.  Well, they were quiet as church mice for a couple of months, then little by little they started up again.  Once one beat up the other one so bad I thought she was killing her so I called the police.  After that, the one who looked like Jackie stalked and threatened me in the elevator for calling the cops on her.  The landlord quickly evicted them after that.  We ended up moving to Connecticut the next year.  I could totally see Jackie acting like that woman.....Ugh.

• Love 4

Perhaps he's a good team player with other marines, but on Hell's Kitchen he's a terrible team player.  He has no respect for any women competitors (except Dannie, perhaps), he doesn't help other people out he views his job as his station and nothing else.  He's displayed no interest whatsoever in being a team player.

• Love 7

I officially have a rooting interest now...yesterday there was a local interest story on the radio about Jared and they gave his last name. My son was in the car with me and said "Jared BOBKIN? I know him from high school!" He also hung out with Jared's brother although I don't remember meeting either of them. 

The restaurant Jared works at is pretty good as well.  

No, Frank, they didn't vote you last episode because they see you as a threat. They voted you because you're an unpleasant, dour misogynist.

Amen.

I have to say I'm in awe of her self-confidence. Embarrassing herself like that by claiming to be god's gift to (wo)mankind is a feat in itself. Too bad her skills in the kitchen don't equal her big mouth.

• Love 4

I honestly don't think any of them is creative enough to come up with those costumes themselves and were given coaching from the "wardrobe" department, who actually wanted them to look over the top/ridiculous.   So I think the irony was theirs not the "cheftestants".

Not surprised about Jackie, at least I think my gaydar is still in tact.

I agree!

• Love 1