Type keyword(s) to search

Sense8 In The Media

I wish we knew what the ratings really were. With network shows, you can guess if it's going to be canceled, but with something on Netflix, it's a total mystery.

I really love this show and I really wanted to see all 5 of the seasons they'd planned. I think it is an amazing body of work in just the two seasons and not nearly out of steam.

I don't know if it would have helped if they'd promoted it more, or not, but when I mention it to people, even people who watch a lot of Netflix, they often have never heard of it-- even people I'd think would love it.

I'm really sad about this cancellation.

I hope Netflix isn't going to become just another outlet to churn out bland regurgitated crap that's similar to every other bland regurgitated thing that's already been done a thousand times.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Rinaldo said:

That seems too sweeping a statement. I have no idea how many other people react like me, but I can still find a long-form experience worthwhile, even if the end is unsatisfying or missing altogether. Maybe my age is showing: The whole idea that a proper finale is mandatory for a complete TV series experience is a relatively recent one.

That said, I too am gutted at the cancellation of Sense8. I enjoyed it, and felt that there was much more to tell about its world. There are some favorite series that I felt ended satisfyingly and in the right way and I don't want more of them (Leverage, seasons 1-3 of Arrested Development), but I do long for more of Sense8.

I think I react like you. I've gone through many cancellations of shows I've loved, wished some shows had been cancelled before they dragged on long past their best. I finally just started accepting that tv shows will end whether or not they've played out, and decided to enjoy what I see without any expectation of a resolution. I still get disappointed when shows are cancelled, but I understand it's out of my hands (kind of like the serenity prayer).

Many shows I love have been cancelled in the recent years, but Sense8 stings the worst because it has been extraordinary in every way. And I think they're idiots for letting go of such a groundbreaking show. I did go to Netflix and do the thing that was recommended. That's more than I've ever done for any show.

• Love 3

Just heard about this show being cancelled. It's really too bad, especially with the storyline starting to kick into high gear. 

I wonder if the ratings couldn't justify the cost to make the show, hence the cancellation? I'm sure it wasn't particularly cheap filming all over the world and in such exotic places. 

How do they measure ratings on Netflix? They say they're losing money on it, but how do they know? They don't have advertisers, so how do they know if someone subscribes or lapses based on Sense8, and make this calculation?

I realize they know how many views things get, but I don't really understand how they analyze that for whether something is paying off.

(edited)
36 minutes ago, possibilities said:

How do they measure ratings on Netflix? They say they're losing money on it, but how do they know? They don't have advertisers, so how do they know if someone subscribes or lapses based on Sense8, and make this calculation?

I realize they know how many views things get, but I don't really understand how they analyze that for whether something is paying off.

No one knows for sure how Netflix measures a show.  Sense8 was admittedly expensive but it was also something they could show as a legitimate international program with international cast and crew.  It was groundbreaking and inclusive.  All the things a Network would want that would possibly offset an expensive show.  From everything I've read the cancellation of this show in particular is counterintuitive to what Netflix wants Netflix to be.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 4

It's odd because I was just reading that the CEO of Netflix stated in a recent interview that their "hit ratio was too high" while in the same breath mentioning how he's constantly pushing the content team to take more risks because they should have a "higher cancellation rate."   I certainly don't know much about TV but this makes little sense to me.

Anyway, based on this I'm thinking Sense8 got cut because it was too expensive, too innovative  and just got caught up in political shenanigans behind the scenes. The CEO wanted to cut some stuff because he could. He wasn't married to Sense8 so he got rid of it. 

It makes me wonder if it was not about the money but they're using the money as a cover story. Maybe there's some interpersonal issues going on, some kind of political objection, or some level of prejudice involved.

I want to think the Wachowskis (no idea if that's how they spell their name) have the cred and clout to get what they want produced-- if they can't, who can??-- so I really wonder what the truth is, and if it has less to do with dollars than something else.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, jhlipton said:

Sense8 has 84% of the 48K votes.  This is just a fan site, but 48K is impressive.

Well, to give it credit, it is a verified fan site (well, "verified on Twitter" doesn't mean a whole lot) but with 20k followers, which surely is on Netflix's radar. So this poll isn't like any other fan-made poll. There's a very good chance that the people at Netflix will catch wind of it. 

(edited)
10 hours ago, Enero said:

It's odd because I was just reading that the CEO of Netflix stated in a recent interview that their "hit ratio was too high" while in the same breath mentioning how he's constantly pushing the content team to take more risks because they should have a "higher cancellation rate."   I certainly don't know much about TV but this makes little sense to me.

Yes, it sounded like business buzzword babble to me. Also seems like Sense8 was exactly the kinds of risk taking he said he was encouraging (I think, it's hard as heck to parse that nonsense).

I mean, it's a lot riskier than 5 seasons of Orange is the New Black. I guess there's something about women in prison... (don't get me wrong, I love OitNB, and am looking forward to watching Season 5, but still...it might just be on the cusp of being played out)

Edited by Clanstarling

I think shows likes 13 Reason Why and The OA have been buzzy even if negatively which the CEO guy likes.  Sense8 just hasn't been.  House Of Cards and Orange Is The New Black win awards so they are safeish.  

• Love 1

I know a great part of what makes Sense8 work for me is the differen on-location shoots, but the biggest reason I enjoy Sense8 is the Sense8s. So, I am willing to give up locations to get the show back. 

• Love 6

Indeed. The cities and vistas have been wonderful, but the cluster connecting in the intimate settings (not speaking of the orgies, but that's included as well) is the best part of it for me as well. I still want to learn more about them, how they are born, and what kind of wider society they've created. We've had a mere peek into that.

• Love 2

The locations are like characters themselves IMO. The show just wouldn't be the same if they got rid of them and moved permanently to sound stages. 

That said, since everyone is in London they could remain there and shoot at various outdoor locations, but it still wouldn't be the same and in the long run might not make sense to the overall story.

1 hour ago, Enero said:

That said, since everyone is in London they could remain there and shoot at various outdoor locations, but it still wouldn't be the same and in the long run might not make sense to the overall story.

Capheus has to go back to Kenya to wrap up the election.  Kala has to go back to India to make sure the company is putting out safe drugs.  Sun has to go to S Korea to finish her brother.  Lito has to go to Hollywood to resume his career.

Riley, Will, Nito and Wolfgang aren't tied to any city, other than to finish off Lila, but the others are.  So having them all together doesn't make sense from a plot perspective.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

I agree that the locations themselves are characters. After two seasons it would be weird if they just started faking the cities in one location. They could fake a little bit with interior shots (like the hanging scene in season two was apparently shot in Berlin and not in Seoul) , but to get rid off their global locations entirely would make it a different show.

I know -- I'm just trying to think what might save the show.

• Love 1

I would pay to watch. I bet if they did a kickstarter they could raise a ton of cash to keep going. There were a lot of signatures on that petition. And looking at the international ratings info, it looks like the show was, in fact, very popular. So I can only guess that there is something going on other than the financing.

• Love 1

I don't really want to get in a whole conspiracy theory about it. It had a massive budget for a niche show. The Get Down and Marco Polo also had similar budgets and were cut without resolutions. Hemlock Grove and Bloodlines got final seasons but were cheap as hell in comparison. In fact, I think a reason that Bloodlines got cut short was because they lost a tax credit. 

So basically even Netflix with its six billion dollar budget, money still rules. I can't get too pissed at them because they did give us 26 episodes of this crazy/beautiful show. I'm assuming that if the business side justified it, they'd renew it for season three. 

• Love 1
(edited)

The thing that bugs, just the same, is that they are throwing so much stuff out there as "original content" -- I have no idea if they actually produced these shows/movies or just purchased them, or both -- the majority of which looks completely uninteresting. I'd guess that most of it barely gets noticed. Save the money. Do a few things and do them really well. Yet they seem to be going for quantity and the ability to say they've put up X number of new shows in the last week rather than focusing on quality. Their movie selection has been pretty poor for some time, and they're not renewing deals with networks/studios (eta: and more want to stream their own content) and so are losing major series as well. I'm so disappointed in Netflix all around lately, and especially for this. 

Edited by justmehere
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, possibilities said:

I bet if they did a kickstarter they could raise a ton of cash to keep going.

Sure, if each of us contributes a million or so....

(edited)

I really hope the cancelation of Sensate is just a non-traditional-promo Stunt orchestrated to get ppl talking about this show. Creating intérest amongst the general public. Crossing my fingers.

bring back my sense8s.

Edited by Spotlight
  • Love 3
(edited)

The Teen Choice awards are up and for giggles I nominated Sense8 in the Scifi/Fantasy genre.  I also nominated Nomi and Amanita as my favorite couple and Miguel Ángel Silvestre as scene stealer.

Its probably meaningless but I think it would be hilarious (and sad) if Sense8 suddenly gets nominated for all these awards.

http://www.teenchoice.com    voting is on twitter (teenagers!) But it is still fun to do.  

Plus I'm still pissed.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 4

Reminds me of when they split the DVD and Streaming accounts. IIRC, they backed off some (though I don't remember the details, I dropped the DVDs ages ago).

They're not going to try to appease Sense8's audience. It's more a "sorry, not sorry" statement.

• Love 1

Wow, the message from Netflix could not have been a HARDER Screw You to the fans. "We know how devastated you are that we cancelled your show, but...we don't care. Watch the rest of our super expensive programming please!". I feel disgusted. I honestly don't feel right watching Netflix anymore after this. 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Wow, the message from Netflix could not have been a HARDER Screw You to the fans. "We know how devastated you are that we cancelled your show, but...we don't care. Watch the rest of our super expensive programming please!". I feel disgusted. I honestly don't feel right watching Netflix anymore after this. 

I'd like to say I wouldn't watch anymore either - but I'm weak.

• Love 4

Wow, not even a "sorry 'bout that cliffhanger." >:-(

JMS continued some of his Babylon 5 storylines into tie-in novels and comics. If other avenues for bringing Sense8 to screen don't work out, I'd buy a graphic novel form of s3-5. I would miss the actors, for sure.

• Love 2

Apparently Netflix owns the rights to Sense8 100% (according to JMS tweets; I could have misinterpreted). Who knows if there are any loopholes for other outlets. A finale movie wouldn't break them and would earn a ton of good will. A PPV event, even, or straight to DVD -- something that gives us a conclusion. They're just really being bastards about it. The fact that they didn't even list the show online with their original content when S2 came out... or if they did it was short-lived... and the quick cancellation, along with this FU to the massive response from fans makes it look like something else happened. But then, why did they look into extending options with the cast? The non-explanation only makes it worse. My monthly renewal just went through when this all started; I'm pretty set on ending it before the next one. It'll just have to be a month here or there when the 1 or 2 shows I still care about have new seasons.

Brian (let's call him Will Gorski) put out a heartfelt message to fans; it is sincere but it also toes the party line. 

Netflix really comes across quite badly - they made the cancellation decision quite early, barely promoted the show, released it during exam season for many and then announced the cancellation on the first day of Pride Month, for such a very "suave" company I dare suggest all this could be deliberate. I would really really love to reconsider my relationship with Netflix but I have The Defenders and Stranger Things holding me hostage. I will attempt to cut down the amount of time I spend on the app though. I must say the fandom on social media is immense. The idea of a cluster really took hold and Netflix has inadvertently cast themselves as BPO.

• Love 4

I cant blame Brian or any of the rest of the cast toeing the company line when it comes to this cancellation. They still have to work in this industry after all, and it wouldn't do them any good to burn bridges at a big business like Netflix, or to look like they complain about their employers. That being said, I have noticed a few of the actors have liked some of the more salty posts by fans about the cancellation, and JMS definitely sounds pissed, even if he's being diplomatic about it. I would love to know what is actually being said behind closed doors.

The more I think about it, the less this cancelation makes sense. They take on this highly ambitious, expensive, high concept sci fi show created by people who are famous for their highly ambitious, expensive, high concept sci fi movies, give them tons of money to make the show, then barley promote it(I seriously never saw them advertise or promote this show), don't put it up for any awards (even in things like cinematography or editing) and than quickly and randomly cancel it, despite having a devoted fanbase, and a solid critical reception. Than they say its cancelled because of low viewership, than they say its because of cost, and than they basically say "Because we wanted to", and that's about it. Fans launch massive campaign to save the show? They basically tell the fans to give up, shut up, and watch their other shows, without giving any kind of real explanation as to why the show was cancelled. Than they say they are getting the rights to the show, but wont do anything with it. This whole thing is looking increasingly sketchy. Netflix looks awful in this situation, and they just keep digging themselves in deeper. What makes it worse is that it almost seems like they wanted a new "Look at how hip and inclusive and current we are, young people!" show to add another diversity feather in their cap, and when it didn't become a cultural phenomenon instantly, they just shoved it on the back burner and hoped it would go away. They wanted all the Tumblr street cred, but they didn't want to really take a risk, or really commit to the show. I guess if Sense8 wanted to get any support from Netflix, they should have added in a few graphic rape scenes, a teenager killing herself on screen, or an innocent black woman being murdered by security personnel.*

I will say, it is really cool seeing the massive fan response to this whole mess, and how quickly they have organized, and how passionate they are. Its like the glory days of the Veronica Mars campaign! People are even sending stuff to Netflix!

*I'm realizing I sound salty. I don't care, I think I am.

• Love 7

Something fishy in this:

"Netflix reached out to the core actors and negotiated new contracts to make them available for a potential third season, but the efforts apparently came to naught."

Negotiated, as in complete. So what happened? Because it really looks like Netflix decided to cancel before the season even dropped.

• Love 2

I don't think it's fishy and if anything shows that Netflix was reasonably committed to Sense8. Pre-production for the show was probably massive, hence two years between season 1 and 2. They negotiated with the actors in the event of renewal so they didn't take another job that conflicted with season 3 shooting schedules. 

Everybody's like, what happened? When I think the answer is obvious. The season premiered and got lower viewing numbers than what Netflix could justify for renewing the show for another season. 

We can argue about advertisement but I don't think Netflix advertises much anyway. Probably figures they've gotten so big, it's not as necessary. I've seen some stuff for House of Cards, OITNB, and Stranger Things but my guess would be the big stuff that Netflix would use to lure in a bigger audience than try and hook them on other stuff in their catalog. 

• Love 2

Is there a way to candidate Sense8, or the cast (actors and technical), for some awards? Or do the candidatures to the awards pass all through the industry?
Because it would be irony if the show wins awards.

On 6/9/2017 at 3:56 AM, nosleepforme said:

I don't think that Netflix had the slightest thing to do with that post.  That's a fan saying what they think Netflix is saying.

19 hours ago, Boundary said:

I would really really love to reconsider my relationship with Netflix but I have The Defenders and Stranger Things holding me hostage.

For me, it's Dear White People.

A semi well-known artist Tweeted:

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Alex said:

Is there a way to candidate Sense8, or the cast (actors and technical), for some awards? Or do the candidatures to the awards pass all through the industry?
Because it would be irony if the show wins awards.

The Emmys are not fan-voted or -nominated. There are plenty of on-line awards, including for sci-fi shows. As for the irony, I recall when ABC canceled Sports Night, which then won the Emmy for Best Comedy Series.

(edited)

I don't blame the actors for remaining silent or towing the company line.  They have to work.  

On a side note in my own minor protest I was avoiding Netflix this weekend(No I will not watch OITNB thank you even if it is just this weekend screw your numbers) and I caught the end of Cloud Atlas (which I really enjoyed despite mixed reviews) and later watched SyFy's Defiance  on Amazon which had Brian Smith (Will Gorsky) in one of its episodes.

So really I can't escape this show.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2

I tried to watch a few episodes of OITNB, and even though I didn't actually use Netflix it felt...wrong. Both because I'm not really feeling this season so far (and I'm still pretty pissed about some stuff that went down) and because, somehow, I'm still giving Netflix what they want. And screw those guys! 

• Love 1

While I would love to see the series get some Emmy nominations, I'd say any of the acting nominations are a long shot.  Particularly since I feel it cheapens the process when they submitted practically everybody in the cast.  I mean honestly, Daryl Hannah and Naveen Andrews?  They would have been better off just picking one or two to submit for nominee consideration.  For Season 2, I feel the standout actor was Miguel Silvestre and the standout actress by far was Doona Bae.  I have no idea what is up with them submitting the name of the actor who plays Hernando as Lead Actor.  That has to be a mistake, right?  There's no possible way that guy is a lead actor, considering he's not even the lead actor in the relationship he is in on the show.

• Love 1

I'd say it really doesn't matter, as any actual nominations seem verging-on-impossible. So they may as well get the compliment of Leading status for the moment. (I thought actors submitted themselves?)