Type keyword(s) to search

S22: Nyle DiMarco: America's Next Top Dancer?

• Start Topic

I disagree with the musicality thing. Is it going to be harder for Nyle? Absolutely but the truth is movement that isn't connected to the music isn't as powerful. It just lacks that emotional spark. Peta and Nyle need to find ways to make sure that they get that right. No reason to blast CAI for providing a useful criticism. (She so rarely does so I don't want to see people discouraging her.)

I do see that she was trying to offer actual constructive criticism, but I think it was a poor choice of words. Just looking up to get a better idea, but musicality in the context of dance is defined as "the matching of movement and form to the rhythm, melody, and mood of the music being played." Of course, if Peta works on explaining the mood of the dance and presenting a character for him to play, that would certainly help improve his musicality. I personally am not trying to say that Nyle is above criticism, but I think Carrie Ann misspoke. She could have expressed herself better and avoided all this nonsense. Rhythm and melody will always be difficult if not impossible for Nyle to improve and work on. Criticism is good and it lets Peta know what she has to work on with Nyle. Musicality though isn't that broad and colloquial a term to throw around. Peta was accounting for his disability, but she certainly doesn't seem to be considering him inferior. His deafness is a legitimate factor. Nothing wrong with acknowledging it.

I wonder how the switch will look like for Nyle. He has to rely on specifically designed partnering cues with Peta. This might be one of the hardest weeks for him: to establish the cues with new partner and learn a new dance in one week... good luck Nyle. fingers crossed.

I think he will be fine. Sharna had more challenges with Noah Galloway than she's going to have with him. Besides, Nyle seems smart and listens to his pros. I think he, like Wanya would be good with anyone.

• Love 2

ITA. If Sharna has been watching any of Nyle and/or Peta's interviews about their partnership, then she knows that Nyle learns his dances by watching Peta and following her lead and she'll teach Nyle the same way. 

Loved Nyle & Peta's Samba. Fun, wild and sexy-and that was just Nyle in his loincloth! 

I was nervous about this switch up for Nyle, but I was hoping he'd get Sharna. I'm glad that worked out. I think Nyle is very talented and he also seems to be a great student. There's no doubt that he'll show up and put in the work, but I think that coupled with Sharna's teaching ability (someone mentioned Noah) and her connection to Peta, I think this was the best possible matchup for him.

That samba was something else. I'm always intrigued by YouTube views. I don't know how accurate it is in terms of votes/support, but it seems that Nyle is the most popular. His cha cha from week one has almost one million views, by far the most of any other celebrity. He's amazing. I love that he doesn't use his deafness as an excuse, but rather as a platform. When he made that comment to Peta about how they're like Tarzan and Jane, unable to communicate, he became one of my favorite humans.

Edited by SophiaPehawkins
  • Love 1

I wonder how the switch will look like for Nyle. He has to rely on specifically designed partnering cues with Peta. This might be one of the hardest weeks for him: to establish the cues with new partner and learn a new dance in one week... good luck Nyle. fingers crossed.

And since it appears that Nyle will be dancing the Viennese Waltz this week it should be find as he'll be in hold for most of the dance - I just hope Sharna is up to the challenge .... I'm generally not a fan of her work, though I thought her Waltz with Nick last year was quite good.

I know I'm shallow, but I love his chest hair. Dude looks like a MAN and not a boy. He certainly is the yummiest contestant since Gilles Marini, who was also quite manly.

YES THIS ^^^^^

And since it appears that Nyle will be dancing the Viennese Waltz this week it should be find as he'll be in hold for most of the dance 

I hope so.  The US version of DWTS tends to favor the American Smooth Viennese Waltz, which means about three seconds of dancing in hold with the rest of the choreography being open work of the "step and pose" variety.  If Sharna were to choreograph a straight-up International Standard Viennese Waltz, Nyle would be in hold for most of the dance, as only the most basic figures in hold are allowed in that style.

I liked Nyle partnered with Sharna, but I'm excited for him to get back to Peta. I really like their chemistry. I think it helps too that they physically make a good match. His dark hair is a stark contrast against her light blonde hair. It's hard to explain, but overall I love watching Nyle dance. Each new dance is a challenge and he's so poised. I'm excited to see him try the AT.

He's a great dancer and the likely winner, but at what point do they start talking about his posture. He sticks his butt out and hunches his shoulders at times.

This is primarily why I don't like these types of contestants on the show because it seems the judges are often too swayed by their story/journey to do any critiquing. They slam some for lack of content or mistakes and what not, but give Nyle a pass for emotion? 9's were appropriate for that dance and I think part of Len's 10 may have come from seeing a proper VW after Keo's.

He's good, but the "can you really not hear" thing has to stop. TPTB are wetting themselves at the possibility of this type of contestant winning with their pimpage of people like Amy and Noah in the past couple seasons.

• Love 4

He's a great dancer and the likely winner, but at what point do they start talking about his posture. He sticks his butt out and hunches his shoulders at times.

This is primarily why I don't like these types of contestants on the show because it seems the judges are often too swayed by their story/journey to do any critiquing. They slam some for lack of content or mistakes and what not, but give Nyle a pass for emotion? 9's were appropriate for that dance and I think part of Len's 10 may have come from seeing a proper VW after Keo's.

He's good, but the "can you really not hear" thing has to stop. TPTB are wetting themselves at the possibility of this type of contestant winning with their pimpage of people like Amy and Noah in the past couple seasons.

I won't disagree with you that they should provide some more constructive criticisms. He's not a perfect dancer so they should definitely give something to work on. TBTB usually pick a favorite (not always someone with a disability) and they receive a lot of praise and not a lot of critiques. Even last season with Bindi she got that treatment. When someone doesn't get critiqued it gives off a message that their dancing is perfect and damn near professional. Almost never the case, even with the best of dancers. I think the storylines follows the votes. Except in the case of someone like Bristol. A celebrity has a lot of support and the scores tend to reflect that, more often than not.

I really think every season someone has a "moment" that wins the thing for them.  Nyle may have had his moment last evening. It is less than perfect technically for sure, but he did capture the essence of dance last evening in a way that no other contestant has done so far. Overcoming his disability is the story that is grabbing people this season.  We've heard about the other kinds of obstacles, possible concussions,  mental illness, alcoholism and drugs,  but a profoundly deaf dancer has never won. To also be eye candy is a huge bonus in this visual medium. 

It's been a while since I felt inspired enough by someone on DWTS to want to post comments here. I'm charmed by Nyle and I have to confess that I have learned something about my own misconceptions about deafness and Deaf culture by watching him in this competition.  

In fact, out of curiosity I actually went and binge watched episodes of cycle 22 of ANTM... well, I choked them down, is more like it. But Nyle is beyond gorgeous and a total sweetheart, showed growth as a model and I'd buy whatever he's selling as a model; as long as it's not a product of Tyra Banks' pyramid scheme. I think being on DWTS is a good way for him to continue building his brand as well as spreading his message. 

In any case, Deaf or not, Nyle is a beautiful dancer. Peta's been an excellent teacher and he's a quick study, but it was wonderful to see him dancing with Sharna (my favorite pro) this week. I think he's a contender in any case. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Nyle did a beautiful job last week. As I expected, his switch-up with Sharna was not only the best dance of the night, he deserved the 10s he got, whether they were "official" or not. However, while Nyle & Sharna were great, I'm glad he & Peta are getting back together because it was Peta who  showed Nyle's potential first and he's been improving ever since.  

From the "Week 6" thread:

Wonder if there will be a tribute to Prince.

Since it's almost impossible to get clearance to do his songs, chances are it won't happen until the finale, if at all. If it does, then IMO there's only one contestant who should get it and that's Nyle. Prince's music was all about breaking barriers and no other contestant this season does that better than Nyle. If Nyle & Peta make the Finals and they have to redo a dance, I hope it's the Rumba to Prince's "Adore" or "The Beautiful Ones."

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 1
On 4/23/2016 at 4:24 PM, MarySNJ said:

In fact, out of curiosity I actually went and binge watched episodes of cycle 22 of ANTM... well, I choked them down, is more like it. But Nyle is beyond gorgeous and a total sweetheart, showed growth as a model and I'd buy whatever he's selling as a model; as long as it's not a product of Tyra Banks' pyramid scheme. I think being on DWTS is a good way for him to continue building his brand as well as spreading his message. 

The only real way to watch the show is with the sound turned off, so that you didn't have to listen to all the childish bicker, whining and smack talking.  So it was a PERFECT way to be able to enjoy Nyle, since they captioned all of his interactions with the camera anyway.  He was the best thing about that whole season, hands down.  And it's even more enjoyable to watch him now, since we know about him.  I think he's a tremendous person, in addition to be absolutely gorgeous physically.  

• Love 1

On the Dancing With The Stars Youtube channel, they have a clip of Nyle and Peta talking about this. They're pretty definite that he meant the pros as who to aspire too. 

I still haven't watched the episode...

(edited)

To be fair, Nyle actually said the other celebs aren't better than him (though I don't agree and it doesn't really sound very good saying it that way either).

Edited by calipiano81

Sheesh. Even if someone is the best or thinks that they are the best, it's kind of better (imo) toplay the game -  to say that you hope you can keep up with your great competition bc everyone is so great.

• Love 1
(edited)

What Nyle said didn't bother me because I know slick editing and producer-driven bullshit when I see them.

Nyle was at the White House Correspondents dinner, looking hotter than ever, if that's possible.

Edited by DollEyes
spelling
  • Love 2

I'm not cheering for Nyle, but I don't think his comment was anything to get worked up about.  He said the other celebrities weren't any better than him, not that he was the best.  Taking into consideration that he is deaf and many people in the general population may (wrongly) assume him to be less capable in many areas, that seems like a legit thing to say to me.  Essentially he said he's just as good as all the non-pros.  How is that offensive?

The more problematic statement would be his comment about Val, but without knowing what that was in reference to and knowing how manipulated and edited things are, I'm not horribly cheesed by that either.  I'm pretty sure most of us have said things that could be interpreted by the right person at the wrong time as boastful without it ever occuring to us that what we were saying would sound that way.  We just didn't have cameras, producers, and a judging public to help us along.

Now if he kicks a kitten or something, I'll join the pitchfork and torch brigade.  But this seems like an overreaction.

• Love 3

Nyle is now part of the Peta ->Maks->Val family. When Maks and Val were both on DWTS they did a lot of kidding around about which of them was the better dancer.  I suspect that Nyle's comment was in that spirit, meant kiddingly but taken out of context to create drama and the kind of buzz we are seeing around it.  I have seen no pattern of arrogance from him.

• Love 5
(edited)

Nyle is also signing through an interpreter so I think a lot can get lost in translation like tone. Both Nyle and Ramon laughed so I don't think it was supposed to be that serious. Plus his track record and reputation for being an all-around nice guy, I'm going to chalk this up as an anomaly. I believe his explanation that he uses Val as inspiration. His competition isn't others, but himself. I truly think it was a small incident that was blown out of proportion, especially by Len who completely misinterpreted what Nyle's said. I hope it didn't cost him votes.

• Love 4

I think the show is starting to get inside his head. He seems intimidated to say anything now. I still think he will win, though. The man is an awesome dancer and pretty to boot.

• Love 1

TPTB is salivating at this right now, honestly. With the intense recent pushes of other "special" contestants like Noah and Amy, the fact that they could really have a celeb with a disability win the entire show is something they probably have the headlines already set for.

Paige and Wanya are really the superior dancers but they will gladly throw them under the bus if need be to get Nyle the win. That packaging and editing last week was simply to knock him down a peg to level out the playing field.

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, PBGamer89 said:

TPTB is salivating at this right now, honestly. With the intense recent pushes of other "special" contestants like Noah and Amy, the fact that they could really have a celeb with a disability win the entire show is something they probably have the headlines already set for.

Paige and Wanya are really the superior dancers but they will gladly throw them under the bus if need be to get Nyle the win. That packaging and editing last week was simply to knock him down a peg to level out the playing field.

I think it's unfair to discredit what Nyle has done and is doing. Paige is a superior dancing because she has a lot of dance experience. Wanya is a different type of dancer. I think he has more natural rhythm than Nyle for sure. The show has never been about the best dancer and they don't always win. Some years yes, but some no. Sometimes it's about progressive and growth. Nyle isn't just the "deaf guy" on this show. Obviously, that appears to be a majority of the focus, but I find that to be producer driven. That doesn't discount the work he's put in and the talent he's put out. I'm more offended when the show has celebrities with obvious dance experience, but to each his own.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, SophiaPehawkins said:

I think it's unfair to discredit what Nyle has done and is doing. Paige is a superior dancing because she has a lot of dance experience. Wanya is a different type of dancer. I think he has more natural rhythm than Nyle for sure. The show has never been about the best dancer and they don't always win. Some years yes, but some no. Sometimes it's about progressive and growth. Nyle isn't just the "deaf guy" on this show. Obviously, that appears to be a majority of the focus, but I find that to be producer driven. That doesn't discount the work he's put in and the talent he's put out. I'm more offended when the show has celebrities with obvious dance experience, but to each his own.

I'm not saying that; I'm saying from a point of view of TPTB, they are so loving that a disabled contestant is most likely gonna win, because it means headlines and media attention, and they want as much of that as possible.

Would a Wanya or Paige win bring those types of headlines? Sure the day after, but Nyle brings the "First deaf DWTS winner" type of stuff and they are like dogs salivating for a treat waiting for it to happen, he can dance so it's not farfetched to imagine him winning but still they are so wanting this to happen.

The scoring snafu with Bruno is the buildup to when he gets his first perfect score and they can finally say "Nyle finally gets his first legitimate 10 from Bruno", the same way they built up Donald getting his first Len 10.

I'm a Paige fan and would like a win from her and another overdue Mark win, but there is absolutely no way Nyle doesn't win. Maybe Wanya or Paige bring a sneak win in the finals if their freestyles steal the show, but he places at least 2nd, I bet.

Edited by PBGamer89
misspelling
  • Love 2
(edited)

It's all about money.  And I think a Nyle win is simply more money in the bank than a Paige win or a Wanya win.  It's not about talent, it's not about skill, it's not about heart and soul.   It's about economics.  

I'm a huge Nyle fan from ANTM, but that show was never about modeling.  The Bachelor/Bachelorette is not about love.  

These shows are about money.  And I totally agree with @PBGamer89 that the showrunners will do everything they can to make him the winner.  I felt the same way about Bindi.  It doesn't mean they shouldn't win, I just think they will because the network wants them to. 

Edited by leighdear

Yes, I agree with you all that the show wants Nyle to win. I think there is a good chance he will go on to be a breakout star, and wouldn't dwts love to take some of the credit for that happening. I think they thought Bindi was going to become a big deal as well. It didn't happen, but I think TPTB thought it would. I've always wondered why they let the forgettable Kelllie Pickler win over Zendaya, who went on to pretty much become an A-list celebrity?

3 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

Yes, I agree with you all that the show wants Nyle to win. I think there is a good chance he will go on to be a breakout star, and wouldn't dwts love to take some of the credit for that happening. I think they thought Bindi was going to become a big deal as well. It didn't happen, but I think TPTB thought it would. I've always wondered why they let the forgettable Kelllie Pickler win over Zendaya, who went on to pretty much become an A-list celebrity?

I don't think TPTB are all powerful.  Kellie Pickler has a charming, genuine personality that resonated with many viewers.  She was a hard worker and Derek turned her into a beautiful dancer.  Viewers liked her back story.  They didn't consider her cheerleading background to be previous dancing experience.  (I disagree based on what I've seen of cheerleading routines for the past 25 years.  Many involve a lot of dance and are at least as applicable as a background in hiphop.)

Zendaya had the double curse of being a teenage contestant, which many viewers dislike and simply will not vote for, and also having a background in dance (primarily hiphop).  Trust me, I had to hear about both those horrible Sins of Zendaya from multiple people during that season.  Many viewers simply overlooked any of her accomplishments on the show because "Of course she can dance.  She's 16 and she's danced before."

• Love 4

Trust me, I had to hear about both those horrible Sins of Zendaya from multiple people during that season.

This. The old TWOP board/posts are still up so people can go search and see for themselves the comments that were posted about Zendaya during that season. How some thought she was SO obnoxious, SO annoying, SO entitled, etc. Meanwhile Kellie was sort of just quietly getting good scores but not really a focus of that season IMO. I barely remember anything of Derek and Kellie's rehearsal packages/partnership, etc. other than they got along just fine. I loved Zendaya and Val and totally rooted for them to win that season but once I saw the freestyles, I knew it was over. Unpopular opinion I know, especially with Val fans and the show's screwing up the voting system that night certainly didn't help to quell all the conspiracy theories but in my opinion, Val pulled a Maks that season and totally choked in the finale. That freestyle didn't truly show even a little of how good Zendaya was. 

I guess if one watches the show with the mindset that the entire thing is manipulated by the producers, then you start going down the path of thinking they wanted this or that person to win. I've never personally bought into that myself. Oh don't get me wrong, they do manipulate narratives and how the celebrity is edited but at the end of the day I believe their goal is just to produce what they think is an interesting show and they don't really care who actually wins. Because the fact is the winner will never be someone who is completely hated or a completely horrible dancer. They know that whatever happens they will at least be guaranteed a decent and liked winner. 

Like do I think they would love for Nyle to win, to have the first disabled winner, hell yes. But I think they will be just as fine if Ginger pulls off the win because she's on ABC and it would clearly mean the viewers/voters loved her enough to vote for her. And she has the whole new mom, working mom story, etc. And I think they'd be just as fine with Wanya winning because he's been a strong dancer and was in a singing group and these contestants have always been well received on the show.

So yes, the producers manipulate edits to make for what they think is an interesting show because it is still after all a "reality" show but I don't think they maniacally try to control who actually wins. Except for maybe the season where they had Bristol, who was like Trump in the sense that she had huge support but a lot of haters and the ones who hated her, REALLY hated her and hated the show for having her on. So I could maybe buy them making sure she didn't win but other than that...

• Love 4
(edited)

I'm not saying TPTB cheats to determine the winner, but they are definitely more invested in some people than others. Would Alek Skarlatos have made the finals without some major help from the show? He got 8s for several dances that were horrible. I think they definitely want Nyle to win, but fortunately he is good.

Edited by boyznkatz
(edited)

Well of course the producers are more invested in certain contestants than others but that's sort of a chicken and the egg situation at times. In other words, are they invested and pushing the audience/viewers to like the celebrity or are they invested and pushing the narrative because that celebrity has a lot of viewer votes and support? I think a situation like Alek was a perfect example of that. Was it the show or did a lot of people immediately fall for the everyday hero personal story? And Alek did have a very good first week dance, which likely boosted his support from the viewers even more. And what about someone like Noah? Was it just the producers pushing or did they realize he had a lot of viewer support so they got more invested in him. Because keep in mind that the producers see the viewer votes/numbers, which we don't. Many times some viewers assume some people have this fanbase or that fanbase and it may not be true at all. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

I saw on Twitter that he's going to be dancing a jive trio and an AT next week. Two fun and memorable dance styles. Their paso seems to have resonated with a lot of people so hopefully they're safe from the double elimination next week.

• Love 1

Nyle was incredible this week. His Paso Doble was powerful, strong, energetic and sexy. Ditto his performance with Team Bruno, which IMO was by far the best of the Judges' team dances. Nyle's dances with Peta, Jodie & Keo were equally fun to watch. As for Nyle's chances at the Finals, I still think he's got a great chance to win. Nyle's deafness is a great back story which the producers will milk for all it's worth-to put it mildly-but Nyle has got the dance skills to back it up. If Nyle wins, I believe that his victory will be about merit, not pity.

• Love 2

One of the things I appreciate about Nyle is that he wasn't just dancing for himself; he was dancing for a larger community, unlike most celebrities who are just there to promote themselves and their careers.  He had a message he strongly believed in, and a community that could benefit from his information and inspiration.

Yes, it is just a cheesy dance show, but look how large an audience he had.  And now no doubt he will have the opportunity to go on talk shows and expand on his message about education and the deaf community.

Kudos, Nyle.

• Love 4

ITA, treeofdreams, this is so much more than a man "with a story" winning a competition. It's one of the few times (if not only, I haven't been following DWTS too closely) when thousands of people will be better off with Nyle being on this show. Usually it's some has-beens or obscure celebs that would like to remind people about themselves, or athletes who would like a challenge. What Nyle represents and what will become possible because he took on that show and won is different, unique, refreshing, and, who knows, maybe it will become a historical moment. I don't want to draw parallels with black movement, but, maybe on a lesser level it's somewhat similar. It is an overlooked and, apparently, oppressed community that is now getting more and more exposure (through Switched at Birth and Nyle's success on TV) drawing people's attention and showing that there is a problem and it deserves to be addressed. I'm sure there are a lot of people who would love to help, but they weren't aware of what Deaf community has to deal with. Now they are.

• Love 4
(edited)

So happy for him that he got this win. He's gotten so much exposure from ANTM and DWTS that it's given him a platform for his cause. This will go down as one of my favorite partnerships. I'll miss seeing him and Peta week in and week out.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm thrilled that Nyle won! His & Peta's victory was well-earned and richly deserved. That Nyle dedicated his win to the worldwide deaf community was pure class on his part. Nyle's competing on both this show & ANTM to help others much more than himself proves that he's just as beautiful inside as he is outside. 

simplyme: Just because I applaud Nyle for wanting to use his status to help the deaf community, that doesn't mean that I'm canonizing him nor putting down other celebrities who also give time and money to good causes themselves. I'm just giving Nyle the credit that I think he deserves. 

Edited by DollEyes
To add stuff.
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, DollEyes said:

Nyle's competing on both this show & ANTM to help others much more than himself proves that he's just as beautiful inside as he is outside. 

I find Nyle very impressive and likeable, but I don't know that I'm going to canonize him for participating on reality shows for a cause when that is also clearly to his advantage.  Do I think he wants to be a spokesperson, role model, and advocate for the Deaf community?  Absolutely, and I laud that.  But many other celebrities care deeply about causes and communities (and donate a lot of time and resources to them) that unfortunately do not match the narrative that a reality show wants to talk about.  I don't know that it's fair to not give them just as much credit as Nyle.

(edited)
4 hours ago, simplyme said:

I find Nyle very impressive and likeable, but I don't know that I'm going to canonize him for participating on reality shows for a cause when that is also clearly to his advantage.  Do I think he wants to be a spokesperson, role model, and advocate for the Deaf community?  Absolutely, and I laud that.  But many other celebrities care deeply about causes and communities (and donate a lot of time and resources to them) that unfortunately do not match the narrative that a reality show wants to talk about.  I don't know that it's fair to not give them just as much credit as Nyle.

Giving Nyle that credit doesn't take away from what anyone else is doing. Nyle is vocal about his cause so it's much easier to commend him for it. I'm not sure of any causes that the others were supporting, but I'm approving of anyone that champions for something above themselves. Nyle's support of the deaf community is visible, but it's a personal issue for him and I can't fault him for using DWTS to bring awareness to it. And while yes, I think he also benefits from the exposure, I find his motivation genuine and admirable.

Grammar's important, kids!
  • Love 2