Type keyword(s) to search

Happy Place: Gratefulness And Smiles

• Start Topic

Amazing time at my son's "Day in the Life of a Kindergartner" event today.  We got to have lunch together (they served chicken fingers and roasted potatoes.  Salad was available too, which is what I took (I'm pescatarian/vegetarian before dinner...long story) and fruit at the table for anyone who wanted any.  My son refused, but I gave him a few grapes, just in case.  He did have cucumbers and cheese (I suggested that he use the mini cheese slices as sandwich filling with two cucumber rounds as "bread"), but also refused at first.  I wonder if it had to do with showing face in front of his buddies...lol) and then he showed me what he was doing in class (like his weekly journal where he writes out what he did over the weekend.  His printing is very neat for a 5 1/2 year old!).  We adults also got to sit through their French class and helped out with art.  We made handprints on clay!  It was a lot of fun. :). 

• Like 8
46 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I'm so grateful for the new job I'll begin soon. 

Doing what? You don't have to share the actual workplace, just the industry. You can't leave us hanging like that!

• Like 2

Last weekend, when dad stopped at Starbucks to get me an iced chai, they’d just closed, when dad tried the door - and this lovely girl who serves him there, said “we open the door for Nick.” Neither of us expected them to do that, we were just going to leave. 

• Like 9

My daughter was driving her son to a friend’s house last evening. She was on her way home when she saw a lightning strike to her right. The tree fell, caught on fire, but it knocked down the power lines which landed on her car. So it’s raining (she knows that water and electricity are not friends so she didn’t get out to investigate) and she’s watching the fire growing on the side of the road. She called Fire and Rescue who responded. After they were able to lift the live wire off of her hood, she backed up under their direction, made a U-turn and was able to drive home. Crisis averted. Today she is still shaken up, but we are both grateful that it wasn’t more serious. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 6
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

she knows that water and electricity are not friends so she didn’t get out to investigate

Even without rain, people should stay in the car; you're safe inside the car if live wires have landed on it, but if you don't know how to get out of it without electrocuting yourself* you can wind up dead.

(*Which is not the easiest thing to do, especially if you're not particularly agile, so unless the car is on fire, it's best to stay inside and wait for help even if you do know how -- I do, and I'd be sitting in the seat with my hands in my lap.)

I'm glad she knew to stay put, just wanted to put that little PSA out there.

• Like 5
  • Useful 3
(edited)

We saw the cherry blossoms in the park today. The dog enjoyed sniffing around, as she always does.  We tried a new ice cream flavor we liked:  Haagen Dazs Vanilla Caramel Pecan. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 5
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Haagen Dazs Vanilla Caramel Pecan. 

Edited 1 hour ago by EtheltoTillie

That sounds very yummy!

On 4/13/2024 at 11:20 AM, Mindthinkr said:

Today she is still shaken up, but we are both grateful that it wasn’t more serious.

Amen! How frightening! 

• Like 3

I’m supposed to be sleeping, but I still haven’t made my cheesecake, and I was still thinking about this.  
I didn’t want to get up when I woke up.  Just distinctly aware of who isn’t here anymore, and I didn’t hear my dad downstairs. It was early, and it took me a long time to get myself moving.  I’m very, very lucky to have my dad. I have been trying to shake things off, for that reason. 

anyway, we went out for a while, and when we got home, I briefly sat at my computer, to check something.  I clicked on YouTube, too, and the first thing recommended to me was “the bump” by the Bay City Rollers.  My mother LOVED them.  They had the UK number one single when I was born (Bye Bye Baby), and one of my earliest memories is dancing with my mum, in our living room, to their album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz5nVuP5jF0

I haven’t listened to them in a long time.  I think I’ve only remembered them a few times in the past decade.  

• Hugs 4
8 hours ago, Anela said:

I’m supposed to be sleeping, but I still haven’t made my cheesecake, and I was still thinking about this.  
I didn’t want to get up when I woke up.  Just distinctly aware of who isn’t here anymore, and I didn’t hear my dad downstairs. It was early, and it took me a long time to get myself moving.  I’m very, very lucky to have my dad. I have been trying to shake things off, for that reason. 

anyway, we went out for a while, and when we got home, I briefly sat at my computer, to check something.  I clicked on YouTube, too, and the first thing recommended to me was “the bump” by the Bay City Rollers.  My mother LOVED them.  They had the UK number one single when I was born (Bye Bye Baby), and one of my earliest memories is dancing with my mum, in our living room, to their album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz5nVuP5jF0

I haven’t listened to them in a long time.  I think I’ve only remembered them a few times in the past decade.  

I looked at a couple of other videos, as you mentioned this.  There was one where the Rollers appeared on an Ann-Margaret special, and she dressed in their odd short pants. They sang Saturday Night, and the entire audience consisted of what appeared to be Scottish old-age pensioners.  Mostly women.  It's like they went to a nursing home to do the show.  One lady was shown knitting.  Another was using an old fashioned ear trumpet, the better to pick up the noise.  But they seemed to be really into the music, which surprised me.  I'd more expect this audience to rock out to a rendition of "We'll Meet Again." 

What do you know about this?  Were the Rollers popular among all age groups? 

Today I'm going on holiday. I should be back in late May. While I'm gone, I'm going to try and avoid both news and social media. Try not to have too much fun without me, or miss me too much. :) Bye!

• Like 9

Went to a Bingo fundraiser today and won a designer purse!* I pretty much never win anything, so it was pretty awesome to get to yell Bingo and end up being the winner of the tiebreaker (if there is more than one Bingo, whoever draws the highest card wins the prize for that round and the other person gets the consolation prize) to boot. 

*Designer purse Bingos are popular where I live, but the one I was at today had other prizes you could win too. The actual purse Bingos are…cutthroat lol. I only went once and probably never again. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 1

Bought an oven-ready lasagna for dinner tonight.  It was vegetarian and yes, both my husband and son inhaled it.  They - especially my husband - don't really like vegetables that much (my son is improving A LOT on the vegetable front.  I packed carrot sticks last week and he ate all of it (they aren't allowed to trade food at school due to allergies)).  Still a carbs and cheese kind of guy, but I don't see that disappearing.   

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

I heard from a former colleague today. She got married and moved back to Japan over 10 years ago. That was nice.

I also got a grant on Friday that I've applied for three times.

• Like 7
  • Applause 5

This should probably go on the family thread, but to me, it's more of a happy thing (while the family forum is more about complaining - LOL).  I found my own baby book, the one my parents bought when I was born.  Like most families, it was never completely filled out until I started school.  But anyway, I asked my dad to phonetically sound out my great grandparents' names (as well as my paternal grandmother's, since I never knew it either.  I only knew her maiden name).  Happy I was able to do that. None of my great-grandfathers' names were written down for some reason.  I also don't have my paternal grandmother's mother's name.  Even my dad doesn't know much about her.  

• Like 2
  • Love 2

There's nothing like a surprise visit from relatives who will definitely gossip to all your cousins about your slovenly ways to motivate one (me) to finally clear out a few more clutter piles! So yay! more progress on the messy room front.

• Like 6

I went to this good restaurant today.  It was really busy and it looked like the workers there were getting overwhelmed and stressed.  But at the same time they managed it all well.

Stuff like that I use as motivation.  I know I couldn't do their job.  It's just not how my mind works.  I'd be awful at it.  And it looked dangerous as well.  The one girl was carrying hot coffee with her arms.  She or actually all of them could easily have burned themselves.  

I have plenty of posts in the work vent thread here and I'm sure there will be many more to come by me.  But yeah the staff at that restaurants hard work motivated me in a way.  To try and be somewhat grateful to have an office job.  

• Like 8
  • Love 1

I'm back! As much as I like Britain and Ireland, who put them so far away from Australia? The flight there was hard, the flight home was worse, probably because I only brought bad books for the flight back, instead of good ones. Ah well.

There may be pictures later. I'm slowly emailing them to myself. Lots of partying, women in bikinis, alcohol and drug-fulled fun.

Kidding! My idea of fun is visiting Callanish standing stones in the cold, or Chepstow Castle on a good day. :) I hope you like large amounts of stoneworks, because that's what you're going to get!

• Like 10
4 hours ago, Anduin said:

My idea of fun is visiting Callanish standing stones

I love the Callanish stones.  I honestly was more impressed by those than by Stonehenge.  I'm looking forward to your photos!

• Like 3

I never heard of the Callanish stones.  I just looked them up.  I have been to Stonehenge and also Machu Pichu, Tulum, Chichen Itza, Pompei and Rome. I just marvel at these ancient structures where they have no idea how people really built them. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

And today's the day (I made a note of it) to say happy birthday to @Browncoat! I hope you got a cake, or the day off, or even a pony--whatever you want to make it a great one!  🎂

Thanks, @Mondrianyone! No day off, no pony, but I do plan on stopping by the cupcake store on the way home from work for a giant cupcake.  Which I will eat with ice cream and chocolate syrup.  And that may or may not be my entire dinner.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Thanks, @Mondrianyone! No day off, no pony, but I do plan on stopping by the cupcake store on the way home from work for a giant cupcake.  Which I will eat with ice cream and chocolate syrup.  And that may or may not be my entire dinner.

It's your birthday, do whatever you want and eat that giant cupcake for dinner!

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
On 6/6/2024 at 3:52 PM, emma675 said:

It's your birthday, do whatever you want and eat that giant cupcake for dinner!

It was delicious.  And then I had to have a handful of salty potato chips to cut the sugar.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

I finally got my cat back in. He came home for food, left for the ferals, the way he used to come back for food every night. He started to walk off when he saw me, but stopped to talk to me, and I grabbed him. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 1