Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E17: The Dirty Dancing Dance

• Start Topic

Oh my gosh. I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard at a show watching Barry do his angry dance. Don't ever change, Barry Goldberg!

That and when him and the other guys were dirty dancing at the kitchen island so ridiculously hilarious!

• Love 6

Troy Gentile is so deep in to his character, I love it. I doubt he'll get any award recognition but in my opinion he deserves some. With Adam's puberty and backing off Bev a bit this season Haley and Troy have been doing a lot of the heavy lifting, and boy does he go all out for it.

I do feel like I need a bit of a JTP break though. I was delighted when Geoff decided he couldn't do the lift, was pretty bummed he pulled it off later.

Has the Jeff Garlin dancing .gif been pulled off yet?

• Love 2

Oh my gosh. I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard at a show watching Barry do his angry dance. Don't ever change, Barry Goldberg!

Me too! I was laughing so hard. It was great. His "angry dance" was priceless!!!

• Love 2
I do feel like I need a bit of a JTP break though. I was delighted when Geoff decided he couldn't do the lift, was pretty bummed he pulled it off later.

I don't mind the rest of JTP, I just can't deal with Geoff and his thing for Erica anymore. I was afraid that the whole moment at the end was gonna result in Erica having some kind of 'awakening' about him, but thankfully, it didn't happen. And I hope it never happens.

The way he's pursuing Erica is like Steve Urkel or Screech levels of uncomfortable.

• Love 1

The way he's pursuing Erica is like Steve Urkel or Screech levels of uncomfortable.

At least with Urkel the show established the dynamic that Laura had no interest in him and there didn't seem to be any possibility of an awakening. He was relentless but also knew how she felt. Erica is drifting a little too close to her awakening. Have her find a guy she genuinely likes, if it's necessary, please.

I just started watching this a few months ago. Is it me or does the dad Murray always sound like he's about to clutch his chest and fall to the ground?

I just have a hard time listening to him because he sounds on the verge of a heart attack every time he talks.

• Love 1

Troy Gentile/Barry makes me laugh so hard. It reminds me somewhat of the early years of Malcolm in the Middle. I always thought Reese was the funniest kid. The actor just killed in that role. He never got any publicity but was so, so funny. Much funnier than what's-his-face. (Malcolm)

I might have to watch Dirty Dancing again. I saw it with a bunch of friends and none of us were super impressed. A few months later, I met a girl who had seen it over 30 times and was going back to see it again. Obviously, I missed something. Or everything???

• Love 2
(edited)

I was grounded in 1987 because I went to see "Dirty Dancing" for the third time because I wasn't supposed to have gone to the movies that night. TOTALLY worth it.

I cannot even articulate how much I appreciate that Adam seems to get whatever music he wants. The show would not be half as wonderful without it.

This might be my favorite ep so far.

I love the last confetti cannon. Murray didn't even blink. "OUT."

The exorbitant cost of VHS tapes is why I had to join the Columbia House cassette and videotape club. It was also the only place I could find "Permanent Record" and "River's Edge".

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 4
(edited)

I love the last confetti cannon. Murray didn't even blink. "OUT."

The confetti cannon sequence at the end was fantastic! Blowing it into the shower when Adam was in it- genius.  I really don't recall confetti cannons in the 80s, but whatever. 

ps I'm forgetting now- he called himself Captain Confetti?

Edited by King of Birds
  • Love 1
(edited)

I want Jeff and Erica to get together and am super curious what happened between them in real life.

There is no Erica IRL. Adam had two brothers, Barry and Eric, but Eric was changed to Erica for the show.

Edited by Accidental Martyr
  • Love 1

I want Jeff and Erica to get together and am super curious what happened between them in real life.

I like them too, I'm a sucker for the sweet. nerdy guy gets the girl TV trope. Maybe the next movie homage can be Pretty in Pink but with Duckie getting the girl. 

Also I remember thinking Haley was the weak link as Erica in S1 but she's really become one of my favorite parts of the show. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I hope that they don't get together, but I'm sure they will since this is TV. I don't like the message it sends - that if a girl says she's not interested, just keep pursuing her and if you keep at it long enough her feelings will magically change and she'll fall for you. Messages like that pave the way for women to be harassed in real life by people they've already rejected. Then men say "women are such a mystery!" when -shockingly- it doesn't turn out like on TV or in the movies. 

When I say no I mean no, not "try again later." I imagine it's the same for many people. I've seen too many situations in real life where someone said she wasn't interested and the guy kept pursuing her. It didn't end in romance, it ended up with the women being stressed out and miserable. I know it's just a sitcom and it's not that serious, but this type of situation isn't cute or humorous for me. 

I still like the show a lot, but I'm waiting in dread for the episode where Erica changes her mind.

(Also just to note, I also don't like it when women in shows relentlessly pursue a man who already rejected her either. But in general from what I've that's less likely to be treated seriously or end in a successful relationship.) 

Edited by Dilandau
  • Love 6
(Also just to note, I also don't like it when women in shows relentlessly pursue a man who already rejected her either. But in general from what I've that's less likely to be treated seriously or end in a successful relationship.)

Sadly, when a woman does it it is almost always portrayed as "she crazy!" but when a guy does it, especially a socially awkward, nerdy guy, it's  usually portrayed as "she will stop being shallow and see what a great guy he is and he will "get the girl". UGH! No, he's a creepy stalker. I had a guy pursue me like that and even said to friends "she'll come around". No, no I won't. I don't like you and unless you turn into a totally different human being, I still won't like you.

That is probably the only storyline on the show I don't like. Everything else is great.

Erica getting her Dirty Dancing moment was glorious, even if it was with a guy she isn't into. And I'm glad she did kind of shoot him down afterwards. It gives me hope that the show won't go the typical route with them.

• Love 6

The exorbitant cost of VHS tapes is why I had to join the Columbia House cassette and videotape club. It was also the only place I could find "Permanent Record" and "River's Edge".

I loved those movies! I loved Keanu Reeves back then...before he was so famous!

• Love 2

I like them too, I'm a sucker for the sweet. nerdy guy gets the girl TV trope. Maybe the next movie homage can be Pretty in Pink but with Duckie getting the girl. 

Also I remember thinking Haley was the weak link as Erica in S1 but she's really become one of my favorite parts of the show. 

I recently attended a "throwback" showing of Pretty in Pink (very cool - they are put on by Phantom Events and shown (I think) nationwide) and they showed the alternative original ending.....in which Duckie gets the girl!  Apparently it didn't test well in screenings, and they changed it!

• Love 1

They got a lot of the little Dirty Dancing details right (as well as Barry's angry dance). I haven't seen it in a long time, but I've seen it a lot. Lainey swishing her skirt, the mom saying "I think she gets this from me" while watching her daughter dance.... As always, kudos to Adam F. Goldberg.

Ball had balls turning the tables on Bev by leaving the intercom on.

Murray's abject glee when he danced liked no one was watching was the most precious thing.

I prefer Barry's roll it out roller skating to his rage dancing. He was just so zen gliding around the rink.

The dance also had a Back to the Future vibe too that could've worked for Erica and Geoff being Lorraine and George and the Earth Angel kiss moment. Earth Angel in BttF gives me chills every damn time. But Geoff wasn't embarrassing himself in the Swayze ensemble so it still worked out ;)