Type keyword(s) to search

2016 Tryouts and Training Camp Spoilers and Spoiled Speculations

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

I'm sorry, but Stephanie's face gives me the heebie jeebies. Girl is scary looking. Not sure how she made the team.

Stephanie looks about 38 years old to me. Was shocked when I found out we were the same age (24)!

I think Stephanie and Chantel both look older. Maybe had we got to know them better on MTT I may think differently, but since I don't know what either of them even sound like ;), their photos are all I can to go by.

I also find it difficult to understand why Kelli and Judy wouldn't let Kelsey and her "50 yards on a football field" into TC, but had no problem bringing in Carla Ann even though she didn't know who was the current US President!  Seriously, I think Carla Ann's ignorance was worse than Kelsey's.

TOTALLY AGREE. Carla Ann is one of the Great DCC Mysteries in my opinion.  I can't see any reason why they chose her except for drama.  She wasn't even a good dancer. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Maybe Carla was there to add diversity to the mix? Or was that the year when they had a lot of AA girls? (I think they had Jackie, Jacie, Jenna, Jasmine, and Mia all in one year, didn't they?)

I don't know what the population breakdown in Dallas is, but the DCC have rarely had what I would call a diverse squad. It's surprising for a cosmopolitan city. I don't know what all the girls on the team identify as, but 95% of them look Caucasian. And then they do 'makeovers' which ensures that they all look even more alike. I'm not one to wave the race flag and I don't think there needs to be any kind of quota, but I sure would like to see a more visually diverse squad. Are there no Asians or darker skin Latinas who can dance? Heck, I'd even take a blonde with straight hair and bangs like Megan Sharp.  Teams like the Redskins, Dolphins, and Raiders are so much more beautiful to me because they have more variety.

Anyway, with Jacie leaving (assuming she is), it will be interesting to see if there is an effort to bring more diversity into training camp this year. This might be the year for DeAmber and Whitney, two AA girls who have made it to finals before. I don't think that Asian girl from AA Ice Angels has the right look (I can't remember her name, she made it to finals one year) and sadly, I can't think of any other Asian girls in recent years. Maybe Karen (Latina) from last year will be back. I can't remember why they dismissed her from training camp, but I recall she was very young - and looked it.

Edited by sleepyjean

Imo, I think Carla was brought in so Kelli and Judy would have someone to cut, and I would not be surprise if they knew about her naked pictures before Training Camp started. Someone who cannot dance, did not do well in her interview, and had naked pictures of her floating around in social media. Three good reasons to bring her into TC and make an example to the other girls.

Totally!  I would actually like to point this out to Kelli and Judy and hope they'd listen.  It severely lacks diversity...and hair color is really not an indicator of "variety".  I would love to see some more Latinas and Asians and African Americans in the mix.  I think in all seasons I've watched, there has only been one Asian girl (Alyssa?). 

I'm pretty sure somewhere in your group of hundreds of applicants is an Asian girl who can dance "just as well" as Morgan, Alex, Ashley P, etc etc. 

Can we get a little affirmative action here?

Maybe Carla was there to add diversity to the mix? Or was that the year when they had a lot of AA girls? (I think they had Jackie, Jacie, Jenna, Jasmine, and Mia all in one year, didn't they?)

I don't know what the population breakdown in Dallas is, but the DCC have rarely had what I would call a diverse squad. It's surprising for a cosmopolitan city. I don't know what all the girls on the team identify as, but 95% of them look Caucasian. And then they do 'makeovers' which ensures that they all look even more alike. I'm not one to wave the race flag and I don't think there needs to be any kind of quota, but I sure would like to see a more visually diverse squad. Are there no Asians or darker skin Latinas who can dance? Heck, I'd even take a blonde with straight hair and bangs like Megan Sharp.  Teams like the Redskins, Dolphins, and Raiders are so much more beautiful to me because they have more variety.

Anyway, with Jacie leaving (assuming she is), it will be interesting to see if there is an effort to bring more diversity into training camp this year. This might be the year for DeAmber and Whitney, two AA girls who have made it to finals before. I don't think that Asian girl from AA Ice Angels has the right look (I can't remember her name, she made it to finals one year) and sadly, I can't think of any other Asian girls in recent years. Maybe Karen (Latina) from last year will be back. I can't remember why they dismissed her from training camp, but I recall she was very young - and looked it.

(edited)

As far as diversity, dance skill seems to be the criteria for DCC, not affirmative action.  (Also gotta say that there's more to diversity than African American and white, which is what most people highlight.)  Texas demographics are mainly split between Caucasian and Hispanic, with African Americans making up around 13% of the population. It's no wonder that DCC has a lot of Caucasian dancers.

Also, how many families enroll their kids into dance schools? With Cotillion and dance-related traditions in Texas (and the South), Caucasian families may have more of a tradition of enrolling their kids in traditional dance. 

I'm always surprised they don't have more Latinas on the team just to reach those fans. There's even an NFL game in Mexico City next year, so it's obviously a market the NFL wants.

I'm also surprised there aren't more Latinas auditioning for DCC, considering Hispanics make up nearly 40% of Texas population. Maybe because that rise has happened only in the last 20, 25 years, we'll see more in the coming years.

Edited by Kaedee

I think Stephanie and Chantel both look older. Maybe had we got to know them better on MTT I may think differently, but since I don't know what either of them even sound like ;), their photos are all I can to go by.

What did Kelli say last year, something like "lose five pounds gain five years"?? I think that is absolutely true. Chantal and Stephanie have VERY low body fat - not just as skinny girls but they are both pretty ripped.  They have absolutely no fat in their face which helps give a softer, more youthful look (for the most part - not always across the board).  

Totally! I would actually like to point this out to Kelli and Judy and hope they'd listen. It severely lacks diversity...and hair color is really not an indicator of "variety". I would love to see some more Latinas and Asians and African Americans in the mix. I think in all seasons I've watched, there has only been one Asian girl (Alyssa?).

I'm pretty sure somewhere in your group of hundreds of applicants is an Asian girl who can dance "just as well" as Morgan, Alex, Ashley P, etc etc.

Can we get a little affirmative action here?

Kim is half Chinese, half Israeli

Johanna Liad is Filipina

Sasha Agent is half AA, half Filipina

Absolutely!!!  I'm more focused on Asians and Latinas because they have had some main African Americans on the team.  And I think if they considered Ashley P and Morgan and (insert name of the other 1-hit wonders) sufficient in dance skills, I'm pretty sure they can find an Asian or Latina of that "caliber".

I would think in Texas, most people involve kids in dance regardless of race.  It's a culture of the state and not a race thing.

As far as diversity, dance skill seems to be the criteria for DCC, not affirmative action.  (Also gotta say that there's more to diversity than African American and white, which is what most people highlight.)  Texas demographics are mainly split between Caucasian and Hispanic, with African Americans making up around 13% of the population. It's no wonder that DCC has a lot of Caucasian dancers.

Also, how many families enroll their kids into dance schools? With Cotillion and dance-related traditions in Texas (and the South), Caucasian families may have more of a tradition of enrolling their kids in traditional dance. 

I'm also surprised there aren't more Latinas auditioning for DCC, considering Hispanics make up nearly 40% of Texas population. Maybe because that rise has happened only in the last 20, 25 years, we'll see more in the coming years.

Thank you - that's helpful.  I definitely forgot about Kim.  OK ... that's a start and now let's aim for more than 4

Kim is half Chinese, half Israeli
Johanna Liad is Filipina
Sasha Agent is half AA, half Filipina

Right now there's Jena, Jennifer, Lacey and Simone who have ethnic diversity, in addition to Robin and Jacey. (Wish they'd kept Jasmine! I thought she was so pretty and a great DCC representative. :( )  I also thought Mary was part Persian, but can't remember.

And if we're looking into the past, Alyssa Sarasani was Asian American.  Was she Chinese?  I just can't remember!

The Trevino and Torres sisters were Hispanic as well as Lauren Castillo.  There are more I can't remember right now.

Right now there's Jena, Jennifer, Lacey and Simone who have ethnic diversity, in addition to Robin and Jacey. (Wish they'd kept Jasmine! I thought she was so pretty and a great DCC representative. :( )  I also thought Mary was part Persian, but can't remember.

And if we're looking into the past, Alyssa Sarasani was Asian American.  Was she Chinese?  I just can't remember!

The Trevino Ithink Alyssa Sarsani wa part Vietnamese. and Torres sisters were Hispanic as well as Lauren Castillo.  There are more I can't remember right now.

I think Alyssa Sarasani is part Vietnamese. In season 3 she was shown in her apartment with two other TCCs cooking a Vietnamese dish (sticky rice, I  think).

And Robin. What ethnicity is Simone?

Right now there's Jena, Jennifer, Lacey and Simone who have ethnic diversity, in addition to Robin and Jacey. (Wish they'd kept Jasmine! I thought she was so pretty and a great DCC representative. :( ) I also thought Mary was part Persian, but can't remember.

And if we're looking into the past, Alyssa Sarasani was Asian American. Was she Chinese? I just can't remember!

The Trevino and Torres sisters were Hispanic as well as Lauren Castillo. There are more I can't remember right now.

And Robin. What ethnicity is Simone?

I think Simone is part Hispanic, part Filipina.  I think...?

I think Alyssa Sarasani is part Vietnamese. In season 3 she was shown in her apartment with two other TCCs cooking a Vietnamese dish (sticky rice, I  think).

Oh, that's right!  I remember the sticky rice for dessert ep now. :)

(edited)

Here I always throught that the Trevinos were Italian - shows what I know.

Some of the best DCCs of all time have been African American - so even though the DCC may not be representive of the general population when it comes to AA %, I think since they've had so many AA super stars they still come off as diverse. I do sometimes wonder if had Robin not shown so much promise at auditions if they would have not cut Jasmine though. However, the same could be said for any struggling vet who has a rookie candidate look-alike, so maybe not just a race thing.

Edited by MyFavShows

I think Jasmine would have been cut even if Robin did not make the team. Robin has a lot of potential and is adorable. To me, Jasmine did not bring her A+ game to finals. She was out danced by some of the Training Camp candidates and rookie DCCs.

I think she was making a thai dessert - mango sticky rice.  Sarasani is definitely not a Vietnamese last name and she looks to be fully Asian so my guess is she is Thai-American?

What's Jennifer?  I just thought she was a plain ol' pretty white girl :)

The Trevino and Torres sisters were Hispanic as well as Lauren Castillo.  There are more I can't remember right now.

I think she was making a thai dessert - mango sticky rice.  Sarasani is definitely not a Vietnamese last name and she looks to be fully Asian so my guess is she is Thai-American?

What's Jennifer?  I just thought she was a plain ol' pretty white girl :)

Maybe she's from Taiwan; that's why I said "think" because I wasn't sure.  If I could watch that episode I could be sure,

Alyssa wrote in her DCC blog that Alyssa was not her birth name. It  was changed from some really long name when she came to the US. Don't know about the Sarasani part. I wish we could still see the blogs former DCC wrote (on the old site) .

wait ... whaaaaaa ... someone didn't know who the current President is??  Is this the girl who said "O'biden" ?  She's Australian I thought? 

I also find it difficult to understand why Kelli and Judy wouldn't let Kelsey and her "50 yards on a football field" into TC, but had no problem bringing in Carla Ann even though she didn't know who was the current US President!  Seriously, I think Carla Ann's ignorance was worse than Kelsey's.

Seriously?  She was American?  I can't ... I can't... I can't...

where is she from?  why does she not know this?  why did she look so surprised to be wrong???

The girl who said "o'Biden" was definitely an American girl. 

And I think the person who said "Jennifer" was an "EG" (as they call themselves on IG lol) meant Jessica Maria. 

I want to cry for our educational system sometimes ... sigh.

i think she was American? I don't think she had any sort of accent but maybe she hadn't been living in US...she was one of those girls they didn't feature much.  

The girl who said "O'Biden" was from Missouri, I think. Can't remember, but she was definitely American born and bred.

wait ... whaaaaaa ... someone didn't know who the current President is??  Is this the girl who said "O'biden" ?  She's Australian I thought? 

The "O'Biden" girl was white. Carla Ann was African American and she was brought into TC in S7, I believe; she was really skinny and got cut for taking risqué pictures of herself and sending them to her boyfriend, who apparently posted them online. In the panel she didn't know who the President was, and when she was on camera after the panel, she said, "Oh, I know who it is now; it's Michelle Obama."  LOL

Stop .. you're kidding me?  Especially with Obama being the first African American president, you would think she would know that!! 

This is too much.

The girl who said "O'Biden" was from Missouri, I think. Can't remember, but she was definitely American born and bred.

The "O'Biden" girl was white. Carla Ann was African American and she was brought into TC in S7, I believe; she was really skinny and got cut for taking risqué pictures of herself and sending them to her boyfriend, who apparently posted them online. In the panel she didn't know who the President was, and when she was on camera after the panel, she said, "Oh, I know who it is now; it's Michelle Obama."  LOL

What about the girl who did not know the two major political parties, what a political party is, or knew what political party President Obama is in. Sad...Sad...Sad...  Amazes me how many girls with potential end up not making TC because of a bad interview answer especially two years in a row.

What about the girl who did not know the two major political parties, what a political party is, or knew what political party President Obama is in. Sad...Sad...Sad...  Amazes me how many girls with potential end up not making TC because of a bad interview answer especially two years in a row.

Do you remember from what season? What did she look like?

(edited)
Do you remember from what season? What did she look like?

The girl who didn't know the political parties of our country was named Brittany. She was small with dark hair. I think she was S6...?  I think she was in the same season as Taylor.

Edited by Kaedee

I remember Brittany. I think Kelly liked her but she didn't make it to finals.

I caught S8 #2 the panel interviews episode on youtube.

* Tiffany said OBiden for current president

*De'Janae couldn't name 5  former presidents; only 2. (don't think she's the same D'Janae whose a DMD)

*Ashley Nicole couldn't name the NFL's all time leading rusher.

*Deonna couldn't pronounce Demarcus Ware's name

*Courtney Cook acted weird

*Teri couldn't gave an answer to most intriging person she's met

(edited)

MrsEVH - Yup, Brittany from San Juan, TX - Season 6. Kelli liked her dancing, but she didn't make it into TC.

*Teri couldn't gave an answer to most intriging person she's met

Brittany made the finals, because she didn't know the political parties at panel interviews. :)

I felt so bad for Teri. It was obvious she was so nervous, but I felt bad that she couldn't manage to think on her feet. Even if she couldn't remember the people she'd met, she should have said the most intriguing person she met was right in TC, and that Kelli!  Kelli would have liked that. lol

Edited by Kaedee

Oops...Sorry... I thought the one girl who did not know who the president was and the one who did not know what the two political parties were was the same girl. I swear a viewer needs a score card to remember who tried out, who said or did what, how many times a girl tried out, who made it past prelims, semi-finals, finals, who was cut in training camp, who made the team, which vets was cut at finals or in training camp, etc. etc.

I felt so bad for Teri. It was obvious she was so nervous, but I felt bad that she couldn't manage to think on her feet. Even if she couldn't remember the people she'd met, she should have said the most intriguing person she met was right in TC, and that Kelli!  Kelli would have liked that. lol

Teri and Alyssa Torres both had the same problem at the interviews (most likely nerves). Lauren Castillo didn't answer the uniform question the way the Kelli probably wanted her to. I think that pissed off Kelli and that could have been why they didn't make it back to TC.

• Love 1

Yeah they gotta get it together because they're still young and will have years of job interviews ahead of them.

Teri and Alyssa Torres both had the same problem at the interviews (most likely nerves). Lauren Castillo didn't answer the uniform question the way the Kelli probably wanted her to. I think that pissed off Kelli and that could have been why they didn't make it back to TC.

MrsEVH - Yup, Brittany from San Juan, TX - Season 6. Kelli liked her dancing, but she didn't make it into TC.

Brittany made the finals, because she didn't know the political parties at panel interviews. :)

I think in all seasons I've watched, there has only been one Asian girl (Alyssa?).

In addition:

Season 1 (2006) - Yoshiko Danjo - Japanese 

2010 - Joanna Liad  - I believe was Philippine.

This girl is trying out for DCC this year and she is stunning! Has the perfect body and face. Creeped on her and she cheers for Michigan State and was Miss Michigan.

https://instagram.com/p/BCG1zieKoUS/

Good find!! She really is beautiful and seems like a great dancer...she did really well in that dance Mikey choreographed at Michelle Keys' class! hope they feature her a bit on the show...(like at tryouts)

• Love 1

I definitely see a little Kathryn Dunn in her! Looked through her pictures and it looks like she's on a competitive hip hop team through her school cheer team and she's featured in the front point for a lot of the routines!!