Type keyword(s) to search

Viceland: Does Vice have enough content for a network?

• Start Topic

I've been watching the promos for Viceland, and I can't quite get a handle on what niche their programming will be trying to fill. So far it looks like "programs that aren't interesting", and I doubt that's what they're aiming for.

• Love 1

I will miss H2.  Between History and H2, usually I can find something to watch.  Even if it is about Aliens who are Ancient.  ;)

Like the above poster, I am not sure what they are aiming for with Vice programming.  I will tune in and see what it's about.  But I have a feeling I shall still miss my H2. 

• Love 3
(edited)

H2 was one of my go to channels as well. I hardly watch History anymore because all it seems to have are reality shows. I read somewhere the H2 programming will roll into History - really? I find it hard to believe they'd give up air time for Pawn Stars, American Pickers, etc for anything from H2.

Edited by Cobb Salad
  • Love 2

I was so pissed when I found out Vice was going to take over H2.

Of all the channels why one I actually watch? I never watch the original History channel. Too many Pawn Stars and Ancient Alien marathons.

H2 plays those shows too. But not to death like the original channel. And H2 had a LOT of actual history doumentaries.

But I have to admit I am loving Vice so far.

I think the docu-shows have been very interesting.

I love Gaycation, Weediquette, Balls Deep, and Vice Essentials.

I don't like hip hop so Noisey doesn't interest me. I haven't seen Flop House yet.

I love the very short commercial breaks.

The only downside so far is that with the exception of Vice Essentials, they are playing the same stuff over and over.

There's only 5 or 6 shows so I guess they have no choice.

Plus, each show will only have 4 or 5 episodes for this first season. I think Gaycation only has 2 more episodes and then it's done for now.

But so far I give the channel 2 thumbs up,

Wish they had not taken over H2 though. So many other truly lame channels out there.

• Love 3
I love Gaycation, Weediquette, Balls Deep, and Vice Essentials.

kathy42977 - I love these shows, too! 

The most recent Weediquette episode about veterans just broke my heart, and made me so very, very angry.  :-(

I really hope the network succeeds and cranks out a little more original content, but they are off to a fine start.

• Love 1

Maybe we humans should be a great extinction event.

I've actually believed this since the 1970s, when I first started paying attention to environmental concerns (and read The Stand, and thought the Super-flu was a good idea).

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 1

I've been watching it;  their programming is edgy, but informative and entertaining. In fact, it reminds me of CurrentTV (which I miss to this day). I've only watched Gaycation and Noisey, but I love both shows enough for a season pass on my DVR. I plan to watch them all--especially Weediquette--doing a entire series on weed fascinates me and I want to see a different spin on the marijuana issue.

I've never watched H2, but I will be tuning in to Viceland.

Edited by sereion1
  • Love 2

I'll refrain from judging Gaycation until I watch more episodes, but I'm digging Balls Deep (listed as "B. Deep" in my program guide). Honestly, the tent revival episode is my favorite so far. My only issue is that he spends a whole month (or three weeks) with each group and we only see 30 minutes.

• Love 3

I watched "States of Undress," in which the host visits different countries to discuss the impact fashion has in different cultures. It seemed disjointed, and I couldn't quite figure out the points she was trying to make. I did like the little bit of background on Pakistan's textile industry and how merchants dye fabric.

• Love 2

I have been seeing the promos for the new cooking/culture show Huangs World.

I think that's the name.

Anyway it seems to be EXACTLY like Action Bronsons show F....That's Delicious. The only thing that seems different is this guy doesn't seem to have his crew with him. Other than that, same show.

I'll give it a try when it premieres though.

I enjoyed State of Undressed quite a bit.

There is something about the host Hailey Gates that I'm not warming to. But the show itself is pretty good so I'll keep watching.

• Love 2

To be fair Huang's show predates Action Bronson's show, it used to be on Vice.com, they had to change the name because it used to be called Fresh off the Boat after Eddie's book but since he sold the rights for his book to ABC for the sitcom of the same name they changed the title.

I actually couldn't make it through one episode of F... That's Delicious so I am looking forward to Eddies show even though he can be a dick.

• Love 1

So far the only show that has drawn me in is "Balls Deep" (or, like the previous poster mentioned - B. Deep). The reason is completely shallow but the Ramadan episode was filmed with a local family and the "main" guy he spent time with (Hussein?) was ridiculously gorgeous. Like the host, even if his personality is droll as hell.

Not a fan of "Gaycation". Love the idea behind it and love Ellen Page as an actress but I find her, and her friend, incredibly dull. 

The rest of the programming feels like it's trying really hard to be hip or edgy but I am probably not the right demographic for it. 

(edited)

I didn't finish watching States Undress, but I liked what I saw. I wonder if Hailey Gates dabbled in modeling back in the day; her bone structure is flawless-- especially after the transgender female did her hair and make up. I felt bad for her when they dissed her outfit, though. 

ETA because I just want to mention how I wanted to punch the guy who threw acid on his wife; what I found disturbing is his cavalier demeanor when he described and explained his reasoning for the incident. More of the lines of "Yeah, I hated the way she dressed, so I threw acid on her and filed for divorce" What a monster.

I plan on watching Eddie Huang's show, but I have a feeling that he's going to be annoying all get out.

Edited by sereion1
  • Love 2

Huangs world is still waiting on a forum but I have found the first three episodes entertaining and interesting (two have aired one is on line and on demand). I find Eddie thoughtful and intelligent and asks questions directly to people where Bourdain  (the shows are very similar) might ask them only in voice over. I am not blaming Bourdain for it because the shoots have got more controlled as his popularity has grown. 

I think it's smart that the show kind of goes back to economics, immigration and what it means to be a part of a country/place as a touchstone because Eddie is obviously passionate about it but so are others even in Orlando!

I do wish they would have a segment where Eddie tried Chinese food in every destination which he said he liked to do in the Jamaica episode because that might make for some interesting mashups. It should at least be a Web bonus.

• Love 2

I love that this channel challenges me in so many ways.  Yes, it is hard to watch - especially the inaugural episode of Woman - but it broadens my horizons, and that's a good thing for a "senior" (or anyone at any age).

• Love 4
(edited)

I am not the main audience for King of the Road and I find a few of the challenges are completely misongistic (kissing /twerking/showing breasts), but my boyfriend is a skater who used to read Thrasher, I used to look at Thrasher because they have crazy awesome photographs, I think what dumbass thing are they going to do next and a bit is disgusting but they seem like good guys with talent and I find it compeling.

I am completely disappointed that the first ep teased a woman's team competing this year and it didn't happen.

I do find it weird because I never liked Jackass but I like this show where more often I shout "they are not stupid enough to try that! I am glad I never had children!" and watch them completely fail but than do something amazing.

That said they at the very least need to wear helmets and with the news of Dave Mirra, I doubt it will have a second season.  I know Dave Mirra, who I had a crazy crush on in high school, wasn't a skater but his autopsy showed CTE. Watching the falls on the head I cringe.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

Viceland playing the voicemail messages from people saying how awful and disgusting they think the channel is have been cracking me up. I'm assuming they are real.

• Love 2
On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 3:37 PM, junemeatcleaver said:

Ellen Page is a better person than I am.  I don't think I could sit there and listen to bigots spew filth so calmly and patiently like she and Ian do.

You are not kidding. And I feared for her LIFE more than once. Michael K Williams' show "Black Market" is incredible, as is he. It is really heartbreaking.

• Love 2

So far, I've enjoyed every single thing I've watched on Viceland, and I'm watching pretty much every series they have running (minus a few that I may end up watching later). 

Their tv programming is very much what I already  love about Vice and what I'm used to from them (I love Vice's series on HBO). 

They've hooked me and have made me a dedicated viewer.

I'm happy to see that they are adding new programming all the time. My DVR is working overtime! 

• Love 1
On 6/17/2016 at 5:02 AM, Jaded said:

Viceland playing the voicemail messages from people saying how awful and disgusting they think the channel is have been cracking me up. I'm assuming they are real.

OK, where is this channel? I wanted to see the series/documentary with Michael K. Williams because he was talking about in an interview, but I don't know where to find it. 

This is connected to Vice right? The Vice that comes on HBO right?

So where can I find this Viceland?

1 minute ago, represent said:

OK, where is this channel? I wanted to see the series/documentary with Michael K. Williams because he was talking about in an interview, but I don't know where to find it. 

This is connected to Vice right? The Vice that comes on HBO right?

So where can I find this Viceland?

Not sure what cable/etc. service you have but here's the channel finder on their website.

https://www.viceland.com/en_us/channel-finder

I haven't watched a lot of it lately -- seems like the same programs keep getting repeated over and over.  At least when I was tuning in.

Does anyone have ratings on how this network is doing?  Just curious on how it's faring compared to H2, which it replaced.

52 minutes ago, brgjoe said:

Does anyone have ratings on how this network is doing?  Just curious on how it's faring compared to H2, which it replaced.

http://www.adweek.com/news/television/viceland-suffers-low-ratings-despite-its-young-audience-173107

Viceland's average 18–49 prime-time audience in July was just 45,000, less than half of the 92,000 that H2 averaged in the demo last July.

While Viceland's audience is much smaller than H2's, it's also younger. The median viewer age dropped 17 years between July 2015 and July 2016, from 57 to 40.

Even with those soft Nielsen numbers, the network—and the company behind it—remains an attractive proposition for Disney, which is Vice's largest outside investor, with $400 million invested in the company. (A+E Networks is a joint venture between Disney and Hearst.)

• Love 2

I've enjoyed a few of the Balls Deep episodes, notably life on a tug boat and following that Trump volunteer in Ohio. And the tent preacher. And the high school students preparing to graduate. Okay, I like a lot of it. :) Last night I watched the ep about Ramadan and appreciated the look into how some everyday families celebrate, and how much is involved.

(and I have a tiny crush on Thomas Morton WHAT)

• Love 3

I started watching Bong Appetite on this channel.  I quite like it, I like cooking shows and even though I don't care much for weed it is interesting to see how innovative people are being with it as an ingredient.  

• Love 1

I really enjoyed the "Payday" series. I'll watch if they have any more episodes.

I recorded "Hate Thy Neighbor" but I haven't watched it yet. They are also showing "Rise" (about Standing Rock Reservation's pipeline fight).

I'm waiting for more : Woman, B. Deep, Hamilton's Pharmacopeia, Black Market, Vice Essentials, Abandoned, just to name a few, lol. I'm sure I'm forgetting something, ha. 

• Love 1
On 01/26/2017 at 8:28 PM, Scorpiosunshine said:

I really enjoyed the "Payday" series. I'll watch if they have any more episodes.

I recorded "Hate Thy Neighbor" but I haven't watched it yet. They are also showing "Rise" (about Standing Rock Reservation's pipeline fight).

I'm waiting for more : Woman, B. Deep, Hamilton's Pharmacopeia, Black Market, Vice Essentials, Abandoned, just to name a few, lol. I'm sure I'm forgetting something, ha. 

"Hate Thy Neighbor" is one of the most disturbing series I've ever watched.

I'm enjoying most of the original programming Viceland offers, although I'll admit I'm not a huge fan of the skateboarding stuff.

As an aside - I am also Loving VICE News Tonight on HBO.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

"Hate Thy Neighbor" is one of the most disturbing series I've ever watched.

I'm enjoying most of the original programming Viceland offers, although I'll admit I'm not a huge fan of the skateboarding stuff.

As an aside - I am also Loving VICE News Tonight on HBO.

I can only imagine what I'm in for with HTN, which is why I've delayed. I have to be in the mood for what's coming.

I'm with you on the skateboarding-centric stuff and Vice News on HBO.

(I've been watching the Vice HBO specials/30-60 minute episodes for years, but I just started watching their nightly HBO news and like you, I'm loving it. I didn't even know about it until recently!)

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Scorpiosunshine said:

I can only imagine what I'm in for with HTN, which is why I've delayed. I have to be in the mood for what's coming.

I'm with you on the skateboarding-centric stuff and Vice News on HBO.

(I've been watching the Vice HBO specials/30-60 minute episodes for years, but I just started watching their nightly HBO news and like you, I'm loving it. I didn't even know about it until recently!)

I don't think anything can prepare you for something like Hate Thy Neighbor, but if you're in the wrong frame of mind, it could make you lose faith in the human race.  I'm already more than halfway there, though, so it isn't much of a stretch for me.  I find yummy gelato floating in a big bowl of vodka helps.   ;-)

• Love 2
5 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

I don't think anything can prepare you for something like Hate Thy Neighbor, but if you're in the wrong frame of mind, it could make you lose faith in the human race.  I'm already more than halfway there, though, so it isn't much of a stretch for me.  I find yummy gelato floating in a big bowl of vodka helps.   ;-)

Lol! I'll come prepared! =)

• Love 1

I recently dropped my cable because they raised the rates and I refuse to pay over $200 a month for TV. I got a smart TV, added Sling and haven't regretted it once, I was shocked at how inexpensive smart TVs are!   I had never heard of Vice or Viceland until I got Sling and it has very quickly become my favorite channel.  I love that they show the dirty, nitty gritty stuff that other channels are afraid to show.  Of course now that I've found this thread after looking for days, I can't think of any good examples of those shows.   I think my favorite is Needles and Pins. 

I'm happy I found this thread. I have been looking everywhere here for anything about the channel and finally saw the network talk forum and voilà, here it is!  

• Love 1
On 3/30/2017 at 7:32 PM, biakbiak said:

Did anyone watch Jungletown? I find nearly all of these people annoying but I find it oddly compelling.

Yes - and I'm eager to see more.  I'm wondering if it will be a situation where all the (paying) interns turn on the people running the facility.  Looks like things could go awry rather quickly with this bunch.  ;-)

• Love 2