Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

I listened to Noah Rothman (ick) and Bob Woodward (snore) pontificate against impeachment with their usual droning.  Then on came Neil Kanteo (I know that is not how you spell his name) who I really like. And what did he say?  Something along the lines of "I think the last panel got it wrong" and then he went on to explain it.  Loved it loved it loved it.

Just FYI...I type as fast as i talk (that is really fast).  I am always shocked and appalled when I read my comments after they are published - spelling errors, context errors and garbled sentences; and I am embarrassed.  I always proof before I hit "submit" - and it always looks great.  Until.

• Love 4
59 minutes ago, Kemper said:

I listened to Noah Rothman (ick) and Bob Woodward (snore) pontificate against impeachment with their usual droning.  Then on came Neil Kanteo (I know that is not how you spell his name) who I really like. And what did he say?  Something along the lines of "I think the last panel got it wrong" and then he went on to explain it.  Loved it loved it loved it.

Just FYI...I type as fast as i talk (that is really fast).  I am always shocked and appalled when I read my comments after they are published - spelling errors, context errors and garbled sentences; and I am embarrassed.  I always proof before I hit "submit" - and it always looks great.  Until.

I think many of us feel that way (about reading our own comments). I attribute it (for myself, anyway) to the rush of wanting to comment. 

Was it Neil Katyal?

image.png.629799b332f1d50aedbef099261a490f.png

He's on many of the MSNBC shows, and he's always great. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

So our resident historians the Scarborough's get a free (albeit delayed) honeymoon in France and are going to ruin the D-Day remembrances for me with their vapid, phony emoting and droning.  Five bucks says Joe's book is somehow related to this and will start the promo launch.

Of all the talent MSNBC has these two are the absolute last I would send for something this important.  I'm sure Mika will be wearing a KYV hoodie.

It's sad that Mika & Joe's wedding wasn't televised. I think MSNBC feels bad about that , so they are willing to pay for the trip to France. They are a national institution.

Hopefully, Joe will meet with many leaders & sports teams so that he can offer his advice on how to succeed.

Mika can give  KYV speech to the Queen of England.

Joe should have a concert on the beaches of Normandy with his band.

Joe could probably solve the Brexit crisis with an op -ed to the Daily Telegraph.

• LOL 11
22 minutes ago, oakville said:

It's sad that Mika & Joe's wedding wasn't televised. I think MSNBC feels bad about that , so they are willing to pay for the trip to France. They are a national institution.

Hopefully, Joe will meet with many leaders & sports teams so that he can offer his advice on how to succeed.

Joe could probably solve the Brexit crisis with an op -ed to the Daily Telegraph.

You forgot the sarcasm font. 😜

• LOL 4
2 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

So our resident historians the Scarborough's get a free (albeit delayed) honeymoon in France and are going to ruin the D-Day remembrances for me with their vapid, phony emoting and droning.  Five bucks says Joe's book is somehow related to this and will start the promo launch.

I told you guys they'd figure out how to get the network to pay for a trip to France!!! 

Why would Joe & Mika be the ones to go to Normandy? They have Brokaw, who is Mr Greatest Generation, they could get Tom Hanks & Spielberg to go, Beschloss, Doris, etc.

The show today was pretty good as far as no histrionics eye rolling and yelling.  Like him or not, Willie does a good job holding down the fort, keeping the conversation moving.

I did see they had Noah Rothman on, so I guess he fills in for Joe under "uninformed opinion no one is interested in". 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, oakville said:

Oakville my friend, this post is 100% genius.  Thank you for the laugh out loud!  😁

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
36 minutes ago, PennyPie18 said:

The request to hide  the John McCain naval carrier so trump couldn't see it, is  almost unbelievable. Words fail me.

And this coming out after yesterday's Mueller bombshell.  

• Love 2
(edited)

Doesn't Noah Rothman have the most punchable face on any panel?  There was one like him in all my classes K-12.  Hand always up to be first and then talked down to the teacher.

I just watched Thursday's show on DVR and he gave me hives.

Edited by spiderpig
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

Ok I have to come clean.  I kinda like Noah and here's why.

I have always been a moderate never really identifying with either party.  What I appreciate are those folks that can speak to their thoughts/values even in a forum that may not be friendly and be consistent no matter what network they appear on.  I may not always agree with Noah (usually not) but he does make me think and I have been more than impressed when I have seen him defend what used to be conservative thoughts/values with the exact same face/posture (I watched him turn a conservative pundit into a snarling mass of chaos and didn't break a sweat).  He is what he is but I am kind of impressed he doesn't tailor his thoughts/delivery based on what network he is appearing on.  He just always looks like that.

Edited by Chloesmom
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

He always looks like somebody farted.

I agree with this

38 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

Ok I have to come clean.  I kinda like Noah and here's why.

I have always been a moderate never really identifying with either party.  What I appreciate are those folks that can speak to their thoughts/values even in a forum that may not be friendly and be consistent no matter what network they appear on.  I may not always agree with Noah (usually not) but he does make me think and I have been more than impressed when I have seen him defend what used to be conservative thoughts/values with the exact same face/posture (I watched him turn a conservative pundit into a snarling mass of chaos and didn't break a sweat).  He is what he is but I am kind of impressed he doesn't tailor his thoughts/delivery based on what network he is appearing on.  He just always looks like that.

And I also agree with this

• Love 1

Is Donnie a new shade of orange today?

And the arrogance to say, Nancy, Jerry, if you're listening, this is what you do.  Because of course they're listening, waiting for Donnie to lay down the word.  And the word, apparently, is criminal, not impeachment.  It's all marketing and branding, right, Donnie?

Except it's not legal and it doesn't bring the authority that an impeachment hearing would bring, as the panel pointed out.

A day without the Twins is a lovely day, nevertheless.

• Love 1

whoa, Susan vs. Donnie in an early morning smackdown!

But I agree with Donnie.  Trump and the Republicans are all about branding and repetition.  The Democrats suck at it and will never get anywhere until they wise up.   They're in a knife-fight and their weapon of choice is a banana.

• Love 6
22 hours ago, Jordan Baker said:

I think many of us feel that way (about reading our own comments). I attribute it (for myself, anyway) to the rush of wanting to comment. 

Was it Neil Katyal?

image.png.629799b332f1d50aedbef099261a490f.png

He's on many of the MSNBC shows, and he's always great. 

Yes!  Thanks.

• Love 1
(edited)

Rob Reiner's video makes my eyes roll so hard.  It is the perfectly wrong example of how to influence the populace.  He was on Wednesday and this morning too.  Who is his video trying to influence?  Intelligent educated women?  Minority women?  People who are film enthusiasts?  Um... Hey Rob, that's your voter base, dummy.  Your targets are "the others." 
For the people who he's trying to convince to change their minds, that video will only cause them to dig their heels i deeper because they hate the imagery in the commercial.

Edited by Landsnark
?
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
27 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

Rob Reiner's video makes my eyes roll so hard.  It is the perfectly wrong example of how to influence the populace.  He was on Wednesday and this morning too.  Who is his video trying to influence?  Intelligent educated women?  Minority women?  People who are film enthusiasts?  Um... Hey Rob, that's your voter base, dummy.  Your targets are "the others." 
For the people who he's trying to convince to change their minds, that video will only cause them to dig their heels i deeper because they hate the imagery in the commercial.

Rob should see the footage of people at the Justin Amash Town Hall being interviewed. One woman, 50 ish, not an over the top MAGA, said she only listens to conservative radio and thought that nothing bad about Trump was in the Mueller report, and she is shocked to hear Amash describe what was in it.

She and others like her is who Reiner needs to reach.  That's why the Dem candidates needs to go on Fox, at least with people like Chris Wallace. 

If the Dems were smart  they would start running ads with the text of the report highlighted that shows where the NO COLLUSION NO CONSPIRACY is not true. 

• Love 3
41 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

One woman, 50 ish, not an over the top MAGA, said she only listens to conservative radio and thought that nothing bad about Trump was in the Mueller report, and she is shocked to hear Amash describe what was in it

Saw it.  My mouth was hanging open.  I honestly couldnt believe it.  Her comments should be Reiner's video.

The table of commentators after that footage were gobsmacked.

I'm disappointed it wasn't covered this AM by our gang

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

Saw it.  My mouth was hanging open.  I honestly couldnt believe it.  Her comments should be Reiner's video.

The table of commentators after that footage were gobsmacked.

I'm disappointed it wasn't covered this AM by our gang

I agree, especially with the last sentence; which I highlighted to quote but your entire post got quoted; that is always happening...what am I doing wrong?  I digress.

Maybe the reason this was not discussed by the gang this morning is because it would require some real thought.  It is easier to just keep harping on the same things day after day even if Joe is not there.  Quit preaching to the choir; that is what MJ does most days.  

Yes, I enjoyed the Reiner/DeNiro PSA; but who, exactly, is it trying to reach?  For that fact, who is the audience that MJ is trying to reach?  It is stale and I am flipping the channel more and more lately.  

I thought Willie was hosting this morning (could do without Walter Isaacson); when I flipped back after a CBS This Morning sojourn, there was Meeka interviewing...I can't remember but it is an actress that I like.  She is an older actress; I hope Meeks didn't bring up her knowing her value.  No caps.  Even when The Twins are not there...they are still present.

I didn't see the Susan/Donnie spat, but according to this on C&L he may have a point. 

https://crooksandliars.com/2019/05/donnie-deutsch-stop-talking-about

I understand that saying flat out "we're going to impeach him" will take focus from the 2020 campaigns, and give him what he wants, ie "I'm a victim", and like the comments above, a lot of people out there don't understand what the impeachment process is.

Stop talking about impeachment and start calling it "the alleged criminal activity of the Trump Organization, campaign, and Administration , including conspiring with Russia and obstructing justice is going to be investigated by the House Judiciary, Intel and Oversight Committees, and these hearings, as long as they don't violate classified information considerations, will be public. 

And then run the damn ads like I mentioned.  We are not going to get average Americans to read a 400 page report.  So you spoon feed them the important details.  In ads, on tv. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, Kemper said:

there was Meeka interviewing...I can't remember but it is an actress that I like.  She is an older actress; I hope Meeks didn't bring up her knowing her value. 

It was a taped interview with Glenda Jackson, she's playing King Lear on Broadway. I'm sure it had something to do with Glenda knowing her value, like she needs Mika to explain that to her. 

I didn't watch it, but she also (Glenda) did Fresh Air a couple weeks ago and it was a very good interview, and I doubt there was a book or shaminar tie in.  It's on the podcasts if you want to listen. 

(edited)
4 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Is Donnie a new shade of orange today?

And the arrogance to say, Nancy, Jerry, if you're listening, this is what you do.  Because of course they're listening, waiting for Donnie to lay down the word.  And the word, apparently, is criminal, not impeachment.  It's all marketing and branding, right, Donnie?

Except it's not legal and it doesn't bring the authority that an impeachment hearing would bring, as the panel pointed out.

A day without the Twins is a lovely day, nevertheless.

Donnie gives Joe a run for his money in the arrogance sweepstakes on a normal day. However, since getting his own show focusing on politics he's become insufferable. He's taken to mansplaining when he's on with Nicolle, and that is truly annoying. Then today, he was clearly in his bloviating pundit persona. Having been in branding my whole career, I once found his insights interesting. No longer.  I changed the channel and didn't go back.

Edited by may flowers
  • Love 6
10 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

I didn't see the Susan/Donnie spat, but according to this on C&L he may have a point. 

https://crooksandliars.com/2019/05/donnie-deutsch-stop-talking-about

I understand that saying flat out "we're going to impeach him" will take focus from the 2020 campaigns, and give him what he wants, ie "I'm a victim", and like the comments above, a lot of people out there don't understand what the impeachment process is.

Stop talking about impeachment and start calling it "the alleged criminal activity of the Trump Organization, campaign, and Administration , including conspiring with Russia and obstructing justice is going to be investigated by the House Judiciary, Intel and Oversight Committees, and these hearings, as long as they don't violate classified information considerations, will be public. 

And then run the damn ads like I mentioned.  We are not going to get average Americans to read a 400 page report.  So you spoon feed them the important details.  In ads, on tv. 

I totally get what Donnie was getting at this morning and ITA with him.

Regarding your post, Teddysmom, great points, we're the choir, the people in charge should listen to us.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, may flowers said:

Donnie gives Joe a run for his money in the arrogance sweepstakes on a normal day. However, since getting his own show focusing on politics he's become insufferable. He's taken to mansplaining when he's on with Nicolle, and that is truly annoying. Then today, he was clearly in his bloviating pundit persona. Having been in branding my whole career, I once found his insights interesting. No longer.  I changed the channel and didn't go back.

Donnie is annoying.

It's a very different show when Mika & Joe aren't on set. Willie let's everyone speak.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, stormy said:

Regarding your post, Teddysmom, great points, we're the choir, the people in charge should listen to us.

Stormy I have said for years if people would just listen to me.... :)

The public was supporting Nixon until the televised hearings, and then they started understanding what really happened.  That was complicated, too. Watch All The President's Men and see if you understand all the details of that case, and that's the simplified version of it.   (not you, just people in general). There was a lot of stuff going on, and until they got Dean to testify, no one really understood it. 

Mueller's investigation was to preserve evidence and get testimony on the record, so there could be an indictment when/if necessary. But the public doesn't understand the legal terms, or probably even what indict, or impeachment involves.  Or who is allowed to do what, or what the OLC memo is. They watch Law & Order and think if they're guilty we find out within 45 minutes. 

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

I thought that's what they say they're trying to do now, except that they can't get any of the witnesses to show up to testify.

What chapped me about Donnie wasn't so much his message, although as a marketing guy, he seems to equate impeachment hearings with margarine ads, just another product, but how he said it.  Like kings and queens bow down to me 'cause you don't know anything and I'm the shit.

Maybe it is just another product.  Read The Selling of the President 1968, in which Roger Ailes does package and market Richard Nixon like he was Parkay.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, meowmommy said:

Like kings and queens bow down to me 'cause you don't know anything and I'm the shit.

Oh Donnie couldn't be more full of himself if he tried.

And now with his new tv show.  blech

• Love 3

I am very conflicted on the Impeachment/ No Impeachment debate. I have heard compelling arguments from both sides of the issue, and my head is still spinning! After seeing the lady who thought trump did nothing wrong, you realize that millions of voters think the same way. The Dems need to get out strong ads, showing he wasn't exonerated. And maybe, just maybe, appearing on Fox wouldn't be such a bad idea???

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

What chapped me about Donnie wasn't so much his message, although as a marketing guy, he seems to equate impeachment hearings with margarine ads, just another product, but how he said it.

I get his frustration.  He's right, and nobody was listening to him.  Just couch the language differently to sell an idea to the public that is so simple the least of us can get a grasp of it on an emotional level.  The "other side" does it expertly.
Call Trump a crook and do whatever it takes under that "He's a crook" umbrella.  Don't define what you do as impeachment.  Brand him as a crook and explain why he's a crook.

• Love 5

Glenda Jackson was in studio Tuesday:

So Mika's interview was taped 3 days ago

Also, behind them is Mika's nemesis... the Telepromter.  What do we bet she mispronounced "Pavarotti?"

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

Oh that's right I forgot she used to be a member of Parliament!  I'm surprised Joe let her in the studio, she could not stand Margaret Thatcher.  

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 2
(edited)
10 hours ago, meowmommy said:

I thought that's what they say they're trying to do now, except that they can't get any of the witnesses to show up to testify.

What chapped me about Donnie wasn't so much his message, although as a marketing guy, he seems to equate impeachment hearings with margarine ads, just another product, but how he said it.  Like kings and queens bow down to me 'cause you don't know anything and I'm the shit.

Maybe it is just another product.  Read The Selling of the President 1968, in which Roger Ailes does package and market Richard Nixon like he was Parkay.

The current atmosphere is more reminiscent of Imperial Margarine.

0d57b27885202357c499343d5d8af834.jpg

Edited by millennium
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

"and that squabble about what he might or might not have said about Meghan"?

There's no might not.   It's on tape!   Are even the British now compromising themselves in an attempt to appease the "both sides-ism" that afflicts news and commentary in the US?

• Love 4

So bizarre and embarrassing to hear Ignatius talking about Britain's GCHQ and Devin Nunes in the same sentence.

Wish Geist wouldn't insist on reminding the viewers that Scarborough and Mika are on their honeymoon.

It's way too early for such disturbing images.

• Love 6

This panel is annoying me this morning, especially all the fake pearl-clutching over how in the world can Jared Kushner sit there and say birtherism isn't racist (hint, he's Trump's freaking son in law!) or how can Jared Kushner punt on questions about the murder of Khashoggi (hint, he's Trump's freaking son in law!).

AND STOP SAYING "MBS."   You can say Mohammed Bin Salman even more easily than I can type it, yet somehow I manage, you lazy assholes.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, millennium said:

AND STOP SAYING "MBS."   You can say Mohammed Bin Salman even more easily than I can type it, yet somehow I manage, you lazy assholes.

Ah my friend Milliennium, has Donny taught you nothing?  It's called branding and it makes him sound ever so much cooler.  You know, for someone who has no qualms about ordering the murders of people that hurt his fee-fee's.

Ok, so I was up to the sound of "Anchors Aweigh" (good thing) and then made the mistake of actually opening my eyes and seeing our president walk about nine feet ahead of Prince Charles (ugh).  I see he learned a ton about protocol from his last visit.  God bless the Queen, she looks like a little doll standing there with all those tall people.

• Love 3

What's with this Chamber of Commerce bozo? The price of a washing machine has gone up nearly $100 (and so has the price of a dryer because they are usually a bundled purchase). The increase for just those two products so far comes to more than $800,000. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Ok, I hope those two stay in Normandy permanently.  I have really enjoyed both the George Will/Claire McCaskill catfight and now the Rep. Duffy -vs- the entire table over tariffs.  Lots of good, flowing conversation and the tariff one with Duffy was fascinating watching McCaskill bat him around supported by Rick Tyler, Willie doing a good job of moderating the overall conversation and Kasie doing a fabulous Mika imitation by continually shoving her iPad into Duffy's face pleading about the cows.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, millennium said:

So bizarre and embarrassing to hear Ignatius talking about Britain's GCHQ and Devin Nunes in the same sentence.

Wish Geist wouldn't insist on reminding the viewers that Scarborough and Mika are on their honeymoon.

It's way too early for such disturbing images.

I thought the show would open with a live shot from Mika & Joe's Honeymoon Suite. :)

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, suomi said:

What's with this Chamber of Commerce bozo? The price of a washing machine has gone up nearly $100 (and so has the price of a dryer because they are usually a bundled purchase). The increase for just those two products so far comes to more than $800,000. 

Was there someone there from the CoC?  All I saw was Duffy saying well WM hasn't raised their prices yet (well seeing as though the tariffs haven't kicked in yet I would hope they wouldn't for heavens sake) so see everything is fine.  Just fine.

• Love 2

Aaaaaaaaaaand and I see Claire has now morphed into Joe and is pontificating about what cowards the Republicans have become and how they all tell her how disgusted they are with the President and then Jeff Daniels breaks in to let her know Republicans aren't stupid people.  She didn't even bat an eye and went right back to bloviating about how brave she always was . . . sigh.  Good times.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

Claire has now morphed into Joe

I'm sure Joe had something to do with Claire getting that MSNBC contract, he's building his own little cult at the network. 

Duffy saying tariffs aren't bad because they aren't affecting consumers "yet" is like saying Kasie isn't pregnant because she hasn't had the baby "yet". 

Could we start having civics & econ tests for people running for public office.  I swear I knew more about this stuff my senior year of high school that half the people in office right now. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

Duffy saying tariffs aren't bad because they aren't affecting consumers "yet" is like saying Kasie isn't pregnant because she hasn't had the baby "yet".

Excellent!  👍

• Love 1