Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

The travel snobbery on this show irks me.   Scarborough can't just remark on the beauty of Normandy, he has to say "for those Americans who haven't had the privilege of visiting here" and "no matter how many times you drive into Normandy, you're struck by the blah blah blah."   His way of telling us he has vacationed a lot in Europe.  Geist and the others did it yesterday, all chatting it up like they fly into Europe every other weekend.   Same thing when Notre Dame burned, all giving their personal memories of the many times they have visited there.

I spent quite a few years in school studying the historical and architectural landmarks of France and other countries, in French language classes, art history classes, etc. -- but it's pretty certain I will never see them with my own eyes.  International travel is outside the reach of many Americans -- a majority of Americans I would venture -- but these one-percenters on TV are either clueless or don't care.   They talk as if everyone should go there.   And you know, maybe everyone should.  But everyone can't.   And the gap between those who can and those who can't is widening every year.   I myself would love to see Scotland and Ireland, but I accept the reality that I likely never will.   I don't dwell on it, I don't feel sorry for myself, but listening to these bon vivants competing for the title of "Who's Most Continental?" starts to grate on me after awhile.   There's a very Gwyneth Paltrow quality to it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
(edited)

Man, there's a lot of gushing over a speech written by someone else and delivered by reading it from a teleprompter.

Edited by stormy
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9
56 minutes ago, stormy said:

Man, there's s lot of gushing over a speech written by someone else and delivered by reading it from a teleprompter.

Ha.  Did Joe get all weepy and declare "today he has become Presidential!"  Like he used to do every week 2 years ago?

What a buffoon.

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
(edited)

Holy cow, the fawning over the speech is pukeworthy! The suggestion that this might be a turning point for Trump, that he might become the president we need, is, quite frankly, insulting. He read someone else’s words, that all he did. I am disgusted by all of them.

Edited by Red Fields
  • LOL 1
  • Love 13

Today's observations:

• Andrea Mitchell's outfit is tres chic.
  • John Kerry was a good get, well done MSNBC.
  • I cannot believe they paid to ship Barnicle over there or that Willie gushed over his "beautifully written articles" seeing as though he has that pesky plagiarism thing hanging around in the ether.
  • I see a change of scenery has done nothing to improve Meek's verbal ticks, teleprompter reading or Joe just plowing over her mid-sentence.
  • I enjoyed the ceremony very much although I didn't watch MSNBC's coverage all the way through.  The best part of those magnificent flyovers is that they managed to time them just as Joe was going to bloviate about something and totally drowned him out.  Viva la France.

Seriously it was a beautiful, moving, emotional ceremony.  I hope folks were able to record it to watch with their children when they have a chance as it was a great teaching moment.  ❤️

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, XOQueens said:

Joe’s Trump pivot was always inevitable, but it happened sooner than I thought it would.

Joe called it Trump's most powerful speech as President.

Joe does pivot back & forth depending on his moods.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, oakville said:

Joe is so fucking wishy washy.

First he can't believe the speech was delivered with such emotion and passion and historical significance, that even George W Bush didn't live up to the moment.

Then he says, which trump will show up later today? I don't know brainiac, you tell me.

BTW bone spurs are never cured. The x ray's that were taken 50 years ago will be the same if they're taken today.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

So, who do you think actually wrote that speech? Does trump have an "in house" speechwriter? And, yes, JoMeeka were getting on my nerves after a while. John Kerry was interesting, as was Andrea Mitchell. Very moving day.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, stormy said:

First he can't believe the speech was delivered with such emotion and passion and historical significance, that even George W Bush didn't live up to the moment.

What speech did I see? We weren't watching the same thing.  

I appreciate that today is not the day for them to bash Trump, like they normally do, because of where they are sitting.  But again, aren't we honoring the men who landed on Normandy? Because I keep hearing Joe talk Reagan, Bush and Trump. Remembering the remembering, because Joe's too shallow to actually learn and talk about the history of the day. 

Agree, Barnicle's segment was blah.  I really wish they would speak to the veterans who are there, or their children, instead of blathering about whatever.  

• Love 4

I appreciated seeing Brokaw through the years, and the 1984 segment with two veterans of Normandy on the beach.  At the end of that segment, they showed each veteran again and their death dates, which was moving as we saw how long they lived after surviving the battles of World War II. 

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, stormy said:

Then he says, which trump will show up later today? I don't know brainiac, you tell me.

BTW bone spurs are never cured. The x ray's that were taken 50 years ago will be the same if they're taken today.

Joe took a cheap shot at George W Bush & Bill Clinton because he didn't like their speeches on D Day. Why does Joe always have to be so petty? It's not a day to critique speeches given 10 or 20 years ago.

• Love 6
27 minutes ago, oakville said:

Why does Joe always have to be so petty?

Joe's gonna Joe.  He doesn't know how to be gracious, the Clintons won't have anything to do with him, it probably kills him that the Obamas have a relationship with George Bush.  Joe is always going to be the person that no one invites to parties, etc.  That's why he gravitated to Mika, she could get him in the in crowd.

He's a pissy small minded bully who wants to be relevant, and it might be dawning on him he isn't. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 10

Barnicle said that if schools in America taught more in depth courses about slavery, there would be no debate about the need for reparations. Joe got nervous and said he didn't want to talk about reparations today.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I heard the "turning point" speech and two things immediately came to mind: Of course he didn't write that speech, he is barely reading it very well! Second, how long before JoMeeka start with the "presidential" praises? And to criticize Clinton and Bush on such an important day was beyond low class. Of course, Reagan got commended. Again I wonder, why were these two nitwits send to Normandy????? Surely MSNBC had more qualified reporters who would have stayed focused on the  importance of today.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, teddysmom said:

I don't have enough alcohol or drugs to allow this thought in my brain. 

I wish I had known this before I went shopping as they had beer on sale . . . . Weepy Joe, ugh.

1 hour ago, oakville said:

Barnicle said that if schools in America taught more in depth courses about slavery, there would be no debate about the need for reparations. Joe got nervous and said he didn't want to talk about reparations today.

That's wasn't on Joe's list of talking points Mike . . . it must be a free for all off camera.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

That's wasn't on Joe's list of talking points Mike . . . it must be a free for all off camera.

Is it guilt or just he thinks they're going to raise his taxes?   "If I have to pay reparations, that could cut into our cake budget". 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

Is it guilt or just he thinks they're going to raise his taxes?   "If I have to pay reparations, that could cut into our cake budget". 

He must have checked in with the Mrs. . . . . why on earth would he bring that up?  Didn't he get the "Hey, It's D-Day" memo?

Between his inane commentary and Meeks pulling on her sleeves like it was 20 below zero there, I don't know who was more distracting.

Such an odd little show.

• Love 2

I wonder why the subject of Reparation even came up? Again, they lost focus on what should have been the D Day invasion and the surviving Veterans. I  question why Barnicle was even there????

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

Joe has made it clear that he was a hero for attending desegregated schools in Atlanta in the 1960s. Joe was very popular with all the African American students. They looked to him for guidance. Joe was one of the best baseball & football high school players in the South. He won numerous awards and was team mates with students of other races. Joe was also friends with members of the Congressional Black Caucus. In fact, he should have been  their de facto leader. They agreed with all his positions. In recent years, Joe has coached high school football & baseball.Jjoe's teams have won numerous championships.Joe feels that he has done his part in bringing all Americans together. He should have to pay any financial reparations

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, stormy said:

Too bad Joe doesn't watch the news.  Moments before he walked over to read what had been prepared for him, Trump was interviewed by Laura Ingraham.  He called Mueller a "fool," Nancy Pelosi, "Nervous Nancy," "Pelosi is a disaster."  
There's your answer, Walter Cronkite... er, I mean, Joe Scarborough.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, PennyPie18 said:

I wonder why the subject of Reparation even came up? Again, they lost focus on what should have been the D Day invasion and the surviving Veterans. I  question why Barnicle was even there????

Barnicle complained about students not learning about World War 2 & Slavery in the USA. He feels that students should know more about history.

• Love 1
(edited)
7 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

Too bad Joe doesn't watch the news.  Moments before he walked over to read what had been prepared for him, Trump was interviewed by Laura Ingraham.  He called Mueller a "fool," Nancy Pelosi, "Nervous Nancy," "Pelosi is a disaster."  

Christ. I don't know if I should laugh, cry or throw up. I may do all three.

Edited by stormy
  • Love 3
(edited)
32 minutes ago, oakville said:

Barnicle complained about students not learning about World War 2 & Slavery in the USA. He feels that students should know more about history.

I agree with Barnnicle but today is not the day to be talking about reparations.

He's clueless.

Edited by stormy
  • Love 2
Just now, stormy said:

agree with Barnnicle but today is not the day to talking about reparations.

Don't forget Joe's piece on D Day included a bashing of the planning of a battle during Vietnam. Maybe Barnicle thought anything goes. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
37 minutes ago, oakville said:

Joe has made it clear that he was a hero for attending desegregated schools in Atlanta in the 1960s. Joe was very popular with all the African American students. They looked to him for guidance. Joe was one of the best baseball & football high school players in the South. He won numerous awards and was team mates with students of other races. Joe was also friends with members of the Congressional Black Caucus. In fact, he should have been  their de facto leader. They agreed with all his positions. In recent years, Joe has coached high school football & baseball.Jjoe's teams have won numerous championships.Joe feels that he has done his part in bringing all Americans together. He should have to pay any financial reparations

Where the fuck did Joe live? Was he in a travelling circus?  I thought he grew up in Mississippi.  

Edited by teddysmom
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
40 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

Where the fuck did Joe live? Was he in a travelling circus?  I thought he grew up in Mississippi.  

Joe was born in Atlanta & lived in many states while growing up. His dad lost his job & Joe ended up traveling through the North East while his dad was looking for work. His parents did help organize beauty pagents in the 1970s. Joe became an expert designer & was very avant garde in his recommendations for fashion.

Joe learned about the Rustbelt & decline of manufacturing. Joe has anecdotes about living in virtually all states east of the Mississippi river.

Joe is an expert in the socio economic culture of all races & income groups.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, teddysmom said:

Joe's getting drug pretty hard on Twitter for his "most powerful speech ever" BS.

Soledad O'Brien said "are we really doing this again?" 

I have never looked at Van Jones the same way after he said following one State of the Union address, "Today Donald Trump became the President of the United States."

I suspected the speech would be followed by Scarborough fawning.   That's part of why I shut it off, the other part being that I hate Trump's voice (and I must say, I have always felt that the words in a speech make up only half its power;  how they are delivered is perhaps even more important -- Trump is not an orator of any kind).   In the fucked-up political atmosphere we inhabit, all Trump had to do was refrain from saying something inflammatory.  The odds of him doing that here were fairly low.  Which all but guaranteed glowing reviews.  

Edited by millennium
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Landsnark said:

Why was he even interviewed? Jesus, doesn't anyone know how to prioritize on days like today? How convenient that the interviews ( London and Normandy) were conducted by jerks  like Ingraham and  Morgan......and the questions were leading, if not given ahead of time.  Presidential? Yea, Joe, let's see how you spin this crap, after giving such glowing reviews regarding the (written by someone else) speech. Boy, I am so mad and embarrassed, pottymouth is in overdrive!🤯

• Love 5
1 hour ago, PennyPie18 said:

Why was he even interviewed? Jesus, doesn't anyone know how to prioritize on days like today? How convenient that the interviews ( London and Normandy) were conducted by jerks  like Ingraham and  Morgan......and the questions were leading, if not given ahead of time.  Presidential? Yea, Joe, let's see how you spin this crap, after giving such glowing reviews regarding the (written by someone else) speech. Boy, I am so mad and embarrassed, pottymouth is in overdrive!🤯

He was interviewed because that's what his base wants to hear.

A WWII commemorative ceremony will never be the same again.

These are the last surviving WWII vets. They won't be around too much longer. In fact my father died just a few months ago at age 94.

9 hours ago, oakville said:

Was Mika there when he said it.  That seems to make the difference.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, millennium said:

link please?

6 hours ago, teddysmom said:

There’s probably a third reason that he let’s slip out every once in awhile...

• Love 3
1 hour ago, stormy said:

He was interviewed because that's what his base wants to hear.

A WWII commemorative ceremony will never be the same again.

These are the last surviving WWII vets. They won't be around too much longer. In fact my father died just a few months ago at age 94.

That fox interview was held in front of the rows and rows of white crosses.  How dare trump and ingraham conduct such a nasty interview in front of those graves in which he made fun of Mueller and Pelosi....can they go any lower?? Thoroughly disgusting, both of them, and fox, too. I hope there's a backlash and she loses a lot of her sponsors. And why the hell was she smiling so much????? You're in Normandy, show some respect.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, teddysmom said:

That explains his expertise in women's fashion and body enhancement procedures. 

You are joking.  You have to be joking; because this would explain so much.

Whoever posted about him growing up in a Traveling Circus?  This should win the week; but we have one more day to go.  I wonder if The Twins will be working tomorrow.  They surely need the day off to recover from working their one day this week.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 6/5/2019 at 3:39 AM, Chloesmom said:

And the best Bette Midler movie is Ruthless People.  Silly, funny movie.  Goofy plotline but a stellar cast.  I bet they had a blast making it . . . 🤣

I agree. Such a fun movie, and I love how everything worked out. Although I like Big Business a lot, too.

On 6/5/2019 at 12:15 PM, PennyPie18 said:

I hope, hope, hope that was sarcasm by both Willie and Kasie. Honestly, I can't tell. But what if it's taken as "truth" and used in the 2020 campaign???? On another today's topic, I so enjoyed Doris Kearns Goodwin's speaking about the day before June 6th and all the uncertainties that were felt by Churchill and Roosevelt. She is very interesting. 

Doris Kearns Goodwin is such a good sport about being a butt of jokes by Stephen Colbert -- she was a guest many times on both his shows. She's always interesting.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, XOQueens said:

There’s probably a third reason that he let’s slip out every once in awhile...

Thanks for the link.  Those tweets are a great reminder that everyone hasn't lost their minds, just the whores on Morning Joe.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

You are joking.  You have to be joking; because this would explain so much.

Whoever posted about him growing up in a Traveling Circus?  This should win the week; but we have one more day to go.  I wonder if The Twins will be working tomorrow.  They surely need the day off to recover from working their one day this week.

Joe's parents  history.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/07/12/before-scarborough-left-the-gop-he-led-a-congressional-revolt-and-tried-to-cut-ties-with-the-un/?utm_term=.5ec3df42c934

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Mika & Joe are off today. Willie is in charge. Everyone is upset at Trump for complaining about Pelosi at Normandy. Donnie said he was disgusting. Donnie said hat Trump's speech is meaningless because he doesn't mean what he said.

• Love 4

Heidi was excited that her reporting on Biden convinced him to change his longstanding support for the Hyde amendemnt. Biden supported restricting federal funding for abortions.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I didn't watch much today didn't feel like a rehashing of yesterday.  At least Donnie pointed out "he read a speech, CTFD". 

2 minutes ago, oakville said:

Donnie said Democrats will accept Biden flip flopping on all issues.

We'll see, Donnie. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3