Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

26 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

This is the guy who talked about “Ubeki-beki-beki-beki-stan-stan”. Maybe that qualifies him for Secretary of State.

That was Herman Cain.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, meowmommy said:

That was Herman Cain.

That's right, Ben Carson thought Joseph built the pyramids for storing grain.  Maybe he should be Librarian of Congress.

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

I get that people feel Mika is using the show to hawk her book (I agree), that she's clueless (agree), vain (agree), and has used her relationship with Scarborough to advance her career in direct hypocrisy to what she preaches in her books (agree) but I just can't with using slut imagery to criticize her or any woman. 

Edited by millennium
  • Love 2
On 5/20/2019 at 8:36 AM, oakville said:

Barnicle said people are tired of Trump.

Barnicle couldn't dislodge the phlegm in his throat the other morning while droning about the people of Youngstown, Ohio.   It was pretty gross.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Goof Lord!  Can't Mika shut up about Know Your Value and stop plugging it every minute? She managed to work it into the conversation about Hope Hicks today when she suggested that Hope "Know Her Value" and testify before Congress after she was subpoenaed so she can move on with her life.  Just shut up!  Why does NBC allow this constant onslaught during every show?

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Damaris56 said:

Goof Lord!  Can't Mika shut up about Know Your Value and stop plugging it every minute? She managed to work it into the conversation about Hope Hicks today when she suggested that Hope "Know Her Value" and testify before Congress after she was subpoenaed so she can move on with her life.  Just shut up!  Why does NBC allow this constant onslaught during every show?

She just did 5 minutes on Know Your Value and also managed to plug Scarborough for finishing his book.

• Love 3

Joe is back today. He is talking about what Clinton flagrantly did during his impeachment trial.

The panel is making fun of Trump for his conduct at yesterday's meeting.

There will be no deal on infrastructure this week.

• Love 1

I'm listening to Mika "read" the news headlines and I'm struck by how bizarre her cadence and inflection are.  Why would anyone insert a questioning inflection in the middle of reading a news item?  And clearly she hasn't previewed any of it.  Nobody who'd actually read the story on Michael Avenatti would accidentally state the dollar figure as $100K instead of $100.

1 hour ago, millennium said:

She just did 5 minutes on Know Your Value and also managed to plug Scarborough for finishing his book

The one time I'm up at 3 am to watch this mess and she pulls that crap.  I had to turn it off for a while.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I loved the Katy Porter interview; but missed the first minute or two of it; so please tell me Meeka didn't KYV with her.  I actually tensed up toward the end, fearing that she would somehow corral the Representative into signing on or praising it.

• Love 2

Mika said it was rough to be around Joe  while he is working on a book deadline.

Joe showed clips of Mika's KYV speech in Orlando.

Mika & Joe are America's leading couple offering advice on everything from baseball to pay equity & politics.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1

Joe said that Trump wants to be impeached. Joe said Trump made his billionaire friends money.

Joe said that Trump is friends with Jeffrey Epstein , & lets him hang out at Mar a Largo.

That's a very serious accusation.

• Love 1

Maybe I am not hearing this correctly; and maybe it is my dislike for Barnicle.  They had an author on - Edward Conrad.  As usual, I missed the first part of the discussion because I cannot take this entire show for three hours.  But they were talking about immigrants and how the President and Congress are at "loggerheads" ...this word was repeated several times.  The thrust seemed to be that we do not have enough skilled workers in this country so that maybe Trump is correct in trying to only allow skilled workers to be allowed to enter our borders.  Because we do not have nearly enough skilled workers here. Then.

Barnicle said that he was at a college graduation recently (it was a ceremony that only gave out Master's Degrees) for his son.  Yes, now we all know that his son is really smart and has an advanced degree.  He then marveled at the number of Asian students getting the degrees; then he said that they would maybe go back to their "native" country after receiving the sheepskin.  I wonder if he realizes that these students are probably citizens and have more than likely been born here.  This is their country.  Am I being too critical?  Senstive?  

• Love 4
(edited)

Mika is the only person who can take a story about refugee children dying and make it so annoying you can't watch it. Not because of the heartbreaking sadness and anger it invokes, but because she's such a drama queen and the fake "I'm about ready to cry" tone of her voice. 

She & Kasie were discussing, rather Kasie was telling her, that Congress has a budget, debt ceiling etc to deal with and no one can predict what Trump will do or not do. Mika said "these are the things we need to be doing for the American people". 

So when did you become a member of Congress, Mika?  "We"? 

Edited by teddysmom
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, Kemper said:

Maybe I am not hearing this correctly; and maybe it is my dislike for Barnicle.  They had an author on - Edward Conrad.  As usual, I missed the first part of the discussion because I cannot take this entire show for three hours.  But they were talking about immigrants and how the President and Congress are at "loggerheads" ...this word was repeated several times.  The thrust seemed to be that we do not have enough skilled workers in this country so that maybe Trump is correct in trying to only allow skilled workers to be allowed to enter our borders.  Because we do not have nearly enough skilled workers here. Then.

Barnicle said that he was at a college graduation recently (it was a ceremony that only gave out Master's Degrees) for his son.  Yes, now we all know that his son is really smart and has an advanced degree.  He then marveled at the number of Asian students getting the degrees; then he said that they would maybe go back to their "native" country after receiving the sheepskin.  I wonder if he realizes that these students are probably citizens and have more than likely been born here.  This is their country.  Am I being too critical?  Senstive?  

No, not at all. I do think what that illuminates, though, is why this show had, and continues to have, an affinity for Trump - a shared world view. Joe still seesaws from criticizing Trump to complimenting him. 

Edited by may flowers
  • Love 3
(edited)
32 minutes ago, Kemper said:

Jesus. But that sounds about right coming from an old, rich white man from Boston.

Edited by XOQueens
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

This is their country.  Am I being too critical?  Senstive? 

I've always had a problem with him being on the panel because of that pesky plagiarism thing but your post just nailed the door shut.  Horrible, just horrible.  My parents would have been 100 this year and they never would have said something this stupid.  Good grief.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Kemper said:

I loved the Katy Porter interview; but missed the first minute or two of it; so please tell me Meeka didn't KYV with her.  I actually tensed up toward the end, fearing that she would somehow corral the Representative into signing on or praising it.

Oh no was she on today (I wasn't in the mood for them today)????  Did they play the part of her Mnuchin testimony and her telling him he's probably getting bad legal advice as the lawyers are looking out for Trump and not him?

• Love 2

I guess I should like Rep. Katy Porter for calling out the ignorance and stupidity of Ben Carson, and I remember her doing the same thing to Kirstjen Nielsen before she left as head of DHS.  However, there's a certain smugness and knowitallness and playing to the cameras that she and Kamala Harris have when asking their "gotcha" questions, that turns me off.  I don't get that same vibe from other Congressional members when they're asking questions. 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

HEE! Kemper.

Has Oakville decamped on his recap duties?  Who told him he could have a vacation??

Sorry, I have a "book deadline":) . Recaps should return to normal next week

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

I guess I should like Rep. Katy Porter for calling out the ignorance and stupidity of Ben Carson, and I remember her doing the same thing to Kirstjen Nielsen before she left as head of DHS.  However, there's a certain smugness and knowitallness and playing to the cameras that she and Kamala Harris have when asking their "gotcha" questions, that turns me off.  I don't get that same vibe from other Congressional members when they're asking questions. 

I, for one, am glad to see the Dems pushing back at the rudeness that they endure when trying to question those in front of the Congressional Committees. I  have one name to offer in their defense......Jim Jordan. I do hope someone is showing Carson how HUD works!!!

• Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, PennyPie18 said:

I, for one, am glad to see the Dems pushing back at the rudeness that they endure when trying to question those in front of the Congressional Committees. I  have one name to offer in their defense......Jim Jordan. I do hope someone is showing Carson how HUD works!!!

I definitely agree about having the Dems push back but there's a more effective way of doing it instead of showing off in front of the cameras.  I believe that there are a lot of Dems (and Repubs) who conduct themselves admirably and effectively in hearings, just not Porter and Harris, and Jordan.  Good questioners (like good detectives, for example) let their targets run their mouths and give them enough rope until they hang themselves.  Good questioners are not grandstanders, and that's what I think Porter and Harris are.   And yes, Jim Jordan.

YMMV, of course.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, teddysmom said:

Mika is the only person who can take a story about refugee children dying and make it so annoying you can't watch it. Not because of the heartbreaking sadness and anger it invokes, but because she's such a drama queen and the fake "I'm about ready to cry" tone of her voice. 

That was the worst.   Her idea of a rant is to embark upon a litany of rhetorical questions, her voice growing more shrill with each new point.   Barnicle looked like he feared she might explode and get Mika goo all over him. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
On 5/21/2019 at 6:48 PM, Chloesmom said:

I was glad I caught part of the interview with Joanna Mendez who's husband Tony is the character that Argo was based on.  What a wonderful couple they must have been and the stories they could share about their CIA days.  I am going to buy that book as I love that kind of stuff.  Willie did a great job with the interview while Meeks was doing her best beat-box immitation in the background.

Our local library has just one copy, so we are on the waiting list. I might just go ahead and buy it. I am so interested in what it must be like to be a real agent, not the Hollywood version, JMHO. 

• Love 2
(edited)
9 hours ago, Kemper said:

I'll side with Barnicle here.   I was at a state university graduation in New York recently and have heard that said university has a strong relationship with Asian countries, and that every year a percentage of accepted students (something like 20-30 per cent) will come from those countries and, in many instances, return to those countries after they graduate.   Listening to the Asian names being read off as diplomas were being handed out was a bit of a culture shock (and a challenge for the deans who had to read them aloud).

In the audience, a large contingent of Asian families sat together and formed their own very loud cheering section, shouting out in unison whenever someone with a name like Jiaying or Siyu or Haolan or Jinyoung went up to get a diploma.  It was conspicuously disproportionate to the cheers other kids received when their names were read.

I don't know.   The Asian students are very nice and intelligent and talented.   They pay the full price of tuition and help to keep the school in the black (whereas students who are state residents are subsidized) but it means that a considerable percentage of kids from in-state, who live here, whose families pay taxes here,  were not accepted to the university because a spot they might have occupied went to a boy or girl from China, etc.

Edited by millennium
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

I just wanted to add that when I refer to Ben Carson's ignorance and stupidity, I mean solely in relation to his position as HUD Secretary, for which I think he is patently unqualified.  I was surprised that he accepted the HUD position, given his background as a pediatric neurosurgeon, and I thought HHS or even CDC would have been a better fit.  

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I just wanted to add that when I refer to Ben Carson's ignorance and stupidity, I mean solely in relation to his position as HUD Secretary, for which I think he is patently unqualified.  I was surprised that he accepted the HUD position, given his background as a pediatric neurosurgeon, and I thought HHS or even CDC would have been a better fit.  

It makes you wonder, doesn't it, why so many of the appointees were given positions in which they had absolutely no experience?  If they make a mistake "on the job while learning it",  millions of lives could be adversely affected. JMHO

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Good questioners are not grandstanders, and that's what I think Porter and Harris are.   And yes, Jim Jordan.

I get what you are saying here but for me I have never seen Porter to be anything but well informed and at times exasperated with who is being questioned as they either cannot or will not answer a given question.  I have found Harris to be a bit too aggressive in the past but I think she has refined her questioning style beautifully.

And yes Jim Jordan.  Boo.

Make no mistake both sides are guilty of grandstanding for the cameras unfortunately.

Friday Recap. Mika & Joe are in Florida. Tody's hot topic is whether Trump's mental faculties are declining. Mika said Pelosi was right to worry about Trump's health. Pelosi was interviewed by Mika for 90 minutes. Mika said she had not lost any cognitive faculties.

Joe said Trump has declined over the past 10 years. Joe forgot that he told viewers last week that he was in better shape than Biden & Sanders.

Joe admitted that he was not a Doctor and could not provide any official mental diagnosis.

Joe said Trump can't complete sentences. Joe admitted that during the 2016 campaign, Trump would repeat himself during their meetings.

Donny is wearing a bowtie. He said Pelosi is the Democrats best weapon.

Donnie said Trump is frail.

• Love 3

Is there anything I care less about than Brexit and Theresa May?

I don't like the opening montages splicing footage of Trump with movies that Scarborough thinks are funny.   Because the effect is not funny.   It always falls flat and the only one who laughs at it -- and a little too loudly at that -- is Scarborough.

• Love 3

Joe is mad at Trump for declassifying the intelligence documents bout Peter Stozk. 

Joe said Trump gained ground from Comey re opened the investigation into Hillary's emails.

• Love 2

Katty Kay said it will be complicated to get Brexit passed without a deal. Katty said there won't be food or medical supplies without a Brexit deal.

The show is now playing clips of Spongebob Squarepants. This is a bit superficial if you ask me.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
30 minutes ago, oakville said:

Katty Kay said it will be complicated to get Brexit passed without a deal. Katty said there won't be food or medical supplies without a Brexit deal.

The show is now playing clips of Spongebob Squarepants. This is a bit superficial if you ask me.

Stunningly superficial.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
(edited)

Some good points on the mistake of trump calling Nancy crazy. Commenting on her hand gestures and saying she's lost it. That plays with his base but like Joe said, the Democrats win in 2018 was historic while the Republicans tried to tie everything to Nancy.

I like Rep Tim Ryan and it seems like he should be able to speak to the Youngstown type of voter. 

I saw NBC's Cal Party interview some of these voters leading up to Chris Matthews' town hall. It was all about the wall, the great (?) tax break they got and the green deal is crazy.

Edited by stormy
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Chloesmom said:

John Podhoretz.

He’s back? After he advocated for the murder of two liberal journalists? Wow. Morning Joe is reaching new lows daily. 

• Love 3

The first thing I saw on today's show was Mayor Pete's interview....I loved it. But I missed a great deal of the remainder of MJ. Did anyone talk about Robert Mueller's required conditions before he testifies in front of a Congressional Committee? Or, the nasty remarks coming from North Korea regarding Biden's presidential campaign? So, do we now need to worry about the North Korean's hacking our elections too?? Unfortunately, I did see Heidi's homage to Mika, and her fabulous mentoring skills?! Don't think I will ever have the degree of respect for her (Heidi) that I used to. But, wasn't that trump/Family Guy comparison funny? Happy Memorial Day to all.🇺🇸

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, XOQueens said:

He’s back? After he advocated for the murder of two liberal journalists? Wow. Morning Joe is reaching new lows daily. 

I missed this entire story. How could he advocate for such a heinous crime? And they invite him back??? "New lows daily"....oh yes. I often wonder why Jonathan Lemire sometimes appears on this show. He is on other news shows, and seems quite interesting. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, oakville said:

Joe started talking about Spongebob Squarepants & compared him to Trump

He got headlines for comparing him to the Wizard of Oz, so he up it a step to SpongeBob.  On Monday he compares him to Curly Joe from the Three Stooges.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, oakville said:

Sorry, I have a "book deadline":) . Recaps should return to normal next week

Oakville, your book could be the biography of a Goldfish, and I'd buy 10 copies before I'd spend one dime on either one of JoMeek's books. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, cased said:

Joe mentioned that he and Mika were going to be in Normandy next week. 

And he'll be telling us how he fought his way off the beaches and single-handedly liberated Europe from Nazi oppression.

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • Love 2
35 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

And he'll be telling us how he fought he way off the beaches and single-handedly liberated Europe from Nazi oppression.

I don't get why they would be in Normandy? I hope they don't start plugging their books. Friends of mine have been there, and they describe it as a very solemn place, knowing that so many lives were lost...hardly the venue for any type of "selling".  Let's hope common sense prevails.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, PennyPie18 said:

I don't get why they would be in Normandy?

Because June 6 is the 75th anniversary of D-day, and if there's a solemn occasion to co-opt, you can be sure Tweedledum and Tweedledumber will be there to exploit it.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Because June 6 is the 75th anniversary of D-day, and if there's a solemn occasion to co-opt, you can be sure Tweedledum and Tweedledumber will be there to exploit it.

That's exactly what I am afraid of. They have no shame in promoting themselves and their books, bands, etc. I may not even watch, fearing I may throw something at the TV if they spoil such a reflective  day for remembering  those who fought and died on the Normandy beaches.

• Love 2