Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

Thanks for the link Oakville, the writer nailed it.  I keep hoping for the old show that I used to really love (even for all my kvetching about Mika and Joe) will come back, and as the piece notes, it doesn't feel like it ever will.  The success, was in the folks like Savannah and Norah, certainly, look at where they've landed!  

I wonder, the article mentions Joy Behar, I have really enjoyed her presence as a "co-host" for the last half hour the two times she's been there... even though that last half hour is sort of weird these days.  Having her there at the top of the show would sure slow down Joe and his 15 minute lectures and rants.

• Love 1

I agree that was a good analysis of the problems with the show. I know I don't watch it as much as I used to (for a variety of reasons, not all show related). I'm not sure I agree with some of the suggested fixes in the article. I know if Ann Coulter shows up as a regular, the show will be permanently banned from my house, and Carville is a tired has been as well. 

I do think the show slumps between presidential campaigns, so that might be part of the problem too.

Edited by Rickster
  • Love 2

I keep hoping for the old show that I used to really love (even for all my kvetching about Mika and Joe) will come back, and as the piece notes, it doesn't feel like it ever will.  The success, was in the folks like Savannah and Norah, certainly, look at where they've landed! 

I wonder, the article mentions Joy Behar, I have really enjoyed her presence as a "co-host" for the last half hour the two times she's been there... even though that last half hour is sort of weird these days.  Having her there at the top of the show would sure slow down Joe and his 15 minute lectures and rants

I watched the last 30 minutes for the first time this week. Why is Joe in the control room? Mika sits on a stool & interviews people by herself.

Joe hasn't done his daily monologue rants in the past couple of weeks.

The show needs some new panelists.

I like Carville. He would provide insight into a Hillary 2016 campaign.

Ann Coulter would drive Joe bonkers.

I always thought that Norah & Savannah would make good co hosts for Joe. They would be better interviewers than Mika.

• Love 1

The Mediaite article was great. I watched the show early on because (a) the major network offerings were fluffy and silly and (b)at the time MJ was one of the few shows, along with Colbert and Daily Show, featured authors and writers as guests.

As for the former, the CBS Morning News has filled the void, and as for the latter, I have noticed less of that in the past few years.

A few months ago, this show had on Sherri Shepherd, a woman who claims not to know whether the earth is round, among other things. That may have been the point of no return for me - a full embrace of anti intellectualism.

• Love 5

I am impressed that Joe has finally decided to dress like a grown up. He has been wearing a suit jacket with a tie for the past week. Unfortunately his pants don't match his suit jacket. No more hoodies for Joe.

On a more serious note, Mika & Joe have done a good job defending Brian Williams. Mika says she went through this with Dan Rather @ CBS. Joe said that Brian was a good neighbour when he moved to New York.

Joe was mad at Governor Dean when he said that Gov Scot Walker was unknowledgeable for not graduating from College.

I'm surprised and pleased they defended Brian Williams.

What was his "lie," anyway?  He made off-the-cuff reports on Letterman where he was in one of two helicopters under fire, and the one ahead of him was shot down, and he referred to the two helicopters as "we?"  As in "we were shot down?"

This is not something he reported as news?

I think the problem for Williams is the number of stories while somewhere getting ready to report the news.......the above referenced on Letterman, but also his Katrina stories about the stadium and the body floating in the street that he saw from his hotel.....that wasn't under water. And there is another about a similar helicopter under attack during the Israel Hezbollah war back in 2006 .

I'm wondering if the show started to go downhill after they lost the producer who went to CBS.

I appreciate that Mika no longer follows the Barbie doll dress style of other shows and sometimes wears pants. I'm starting to hate those sheath dresses in plain colors on most other news shows.

We caught the show a few weeks ago with Nicole Wallace, whom we never liked,  Her stint on the View has not done her any favors. She talks over everyone now, even Joe. It was obnoxious and we could not follow the conversation. I don't like it when Joe does it either.

• Love 1

I'm surprised and pleased they defended Brian Williams.

What was his "lie," anyway?  He made off-the-cuff reports on Letterman where he was in one of two helicopters under fire, and the one ahead of him was shot down, and he referred to the two helicopters as "we?"  As in "we were shot down?"

This is not something he reported as news?

Sorry for the tardy response ...

If you're interested, Landsnark, I believe the Stars & Stripes articles were the most detailed.  IIRC, WRT the Iraq matter, they reported that he was in a helicopter on a completely separate mission (from the group under fire) that made a U-turn b/c of a sandstorm and touched down about an hour after the other group to wait it out.  (That's where the "following" claim came from, if I understood it correctly.) 

Hanging out, waiting out the storm, BW heard about the other group taking fire and adopted their story as his own, essentially. He embellished it over the years and yes, reported it on Nightly a week ago, Friday.  After Nightly, one of the military guys who'd been on the helicopter under fire called him out on FB, mentioning he hadn't been with their group.  You guessed it - apparently reporting it on Nightly was the last straw for the NBC brass.  And then, yes, NBC began their investigation and learned this was merely the tip of the iceberg WRT his tall tales over the years.

These are just my impressions and memory of S&S' articles but it sounded as if the military guys had been steamed about this for years and a couple of them brought it up much earlier but were ignored, probably b/c it was BW!

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 3

I think the problem for Williams is the number of stories while somewhere getting ready to report the news.......the above referenced on Letterman, but also his Katrina stories about the stadium and the body floating in the street that he saw from his hotel.....that wasn't under water. And there is another about a similar helicopter under attack during the Israel Hezbollah war back in 2006 .

The Katrina story was particularly problematic since neither the hotel's manager nor anyone else recall events the way Williams reported them.  Among his disputed claims was the one that he was starving when the hotel located in the French Quarter (the Ritz-Carlton!) had ample food.  The manager indicated she made sure that buffets for breakfast and dinner were set up over several days for the hotel's guests.  Williams also claimed that "gangs" had overrun the hotel and terrorized guests.  This turned out not to be quite true.  His dubious claim that he suffered from a bad case of dysentery also warranted a side eye from those in the know.  Given the other wild stories that were floating about (no pun intended) at the time by elected officials and other "eye witnesses" about babies being raped at the Superdome and suicides, it's probable that few people, if any, questioned Williams' recollections.

I've always found Williams quite likable but as I explained to my husband, a journalist's top commodity is his credibility.  Williams is also symptomatic of what has occurred in journalism in recent years, where the journalist becomes the story instead of simply reporting it.

• Love 4
Mika I off today but has announced she will be giving seminars on Knowing your values to women.

I some some blurb about this the other day and it really irritated me. The whole point of the program is about how women undervalue themselves and their contributions in the workplace and how that translates into lower pay and fewer advancement opportunities. And the very first quote they had from a program participant was something along the lines of, "I judge my accomplishments by the impact I have on others."

Isn't that the kind of thinking that holds women back from fighting for equal pay?

• Love 2

(snip)

And the very first quote they had from a program participant was something along the lines of, "I judge my accomplishments by the impact I have on others."

Isn't that the kind of thinking that holds women back from fighting for equal pay?

Good point, Eliot.  Unless and until you value yourself ...

Potentially, of hot flashes. ;)

Mika, Mika, Mika, ...  GMAFB!  What a special snowflake!

Perhaps if she considered improving her diet, hahahaha ...

Thanks, NextIteration.

Edited by aguabella

So, Joe can't think of any other reason for Obama vetoeing the Keystone Pipeline then he's afraid to piss off his environment-loving big campaign donors.  Nothing to do with that it'll be funneling some of t he dirtiest oil on the planet. And funneling it right thru America's heartland/bread basket. For of course, pipelines never leak. And then to be sold into the World oil market, not benefiting the US one bit.

• Love 8

Joe offered his solutions to Ukraine & Turkey. He said the USA should provide help to Kurdistan if  Turkey doesn't stop letting people join ISIS . Joe said the USA should move troops to Poland & the Baltic states to annoy Putin.

Cackles was back & said that John McCain was embarrassed to be an American due to Obama's foreign policy.

Joe started mocking Obama for saying things like Muslims invented baseball & the lightbulb.

Beginning of the end...? Honestly I don't remember now but there was some "special segment" series on the show this week which had me downloading the podcasts from iTunes. When I went to get Friday's show, it abruptly said that the podcast had been discontinued. Any rumblings? I had read an article earlier in the week that may heads may be rolling soon, mostly in the evening, as Phil/MSNBC tries to tack back from the Far Left. Rachel was said to be "safe" but most of the evening and afternoon line-up is slated for pink slips; Rev might get a weekend slot. No mention of the morning folk.

I hope that they put Chris Hayes back in his weekend slot on Up, he was sooooo much better than Kournacki.  I know that Reid and Farrow are gone, Thomas Roberts is going to have a two hour slot I believe where they were, which is why we had Joe doing a crappy job on Way Too Early this week.

The self-congratulatory snark has gone over the edge on this show, I find myself tuning out most mornings anymore.  It's ironic that it's this bad when the numbers are so far in the tank that they've dragged out the Oprah quote from what?  2010?  for a commercial.  Does anybody remember when they had her on the show?  I think it's only been once.  Gayle used to come on a lot, but now she's their competition on CBS.

• Love 1

On the last 30 minutes of Friday's show, Mika had three female guests discussing various issues. I wonder if Mika is trying to get a pilot for a "View" type show.?

At the rate both Morning Joe and The View are going - perhaps she'll be on The View if they re-vamp it again and they cancel Morning Joe!

I think it's just one more effort to throw everything at the wall to see what sticks - with her tour of "Know Your Value" and all that...

• Love 1

I just saw the slate of cities for the KYV tour.  Not an Atlanta, Dallas, Miami or even Charlotte in the bunch.  Is that because Southern women already know their value?

• Love 1

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/nbcu-news-group-mika-brzezinski-reveal-details-of-know-your-value-tour/257213

Here's a blurb about the traveling KYV tour.  I feel as if they should really target minority women's groups, as they are surely the most culturally disadvantaged group in the work force who could actually use building block philosophies and practical advice.  Advances in those groups would be substantive and meaningful.

More interesting than the blurb, in the right hand column, job openings:

Featured Jobs

Entertainment/Pop Culture/Lifestyle Host Major Entertainment & Lifestyle Brand New York, NY

Segment Producer, Morning Joe NBC Universal New York, NY

• Love 1

The main topic today was Hillary Clinton using her private email account for state dept business. The panel was shocked that no one noticed for 4 years that she was using her private email account for all state dept business. Joe went on a rant & said the Clintons never play by the rules. Joe was mad that the Clinton foundation took donations from foreign governments while Hillary was Secretary of State.

Joe mocked Susan Rice for saying sanctions against Iran don't work since he said they were willing to negotiate their nuclear arms programs after the sanctions were imposed. The panel was split on the Netanyahu speech to Congress.

I haven't watched the show for several months but happened to catch about twenty minutes of it today and must say I liked Mika for the first time ever. She was quite feisty about the Netanyahu speech and actually disagreed with and talked back to Joe and believe it or not, made some good points. It was quite something. I'm sure that later she felt guilty about speaking up and contradicting the Bloviator and went back to simpering all over him but for a moment or two, she was actually a capable and competent cohost. Hard to believe, I know.

• Love 4

It makes me sort of sad, that TPM gave Mika the time of day.  Just sayin'.

I don't think she represents anything very well.  With all her "Know Your Value" shtick she still preens in front of the camera and mostly looks like FauxSnooze fembot, which isn't anything I think any woman should try to emulate.

• Love 5

That's hilarious. She yammers on and on about women not knowing there value and then throws out a jokey line about Joe "crying like a little girl."

That's awkward.  Why not "crying like a little boy"?  Little boys cry too!  Language matters, I know it's a common expression but it sounds like she's undermining girls (who will later become women who need to KYV).

I looked at that conference because I'm nosy...it's $225!  At first I thought that was a lot...or maybe it's not?  I don't know, actually.

• Love 2

Joe is bragging to the rest of the panel that he was right about Ferguson. He said he knew the "hands up don't shoot" didn't happen. Joe said that the ferguson police dept needs to be reformed.

Mika doesn't like to fly.

Joe is now ranting about a jewish student who was questioned about her faith before joining the student council. He wants the students suspended & UCLA to explain why this happened. The student was allowed to be on the council after a faculty adviser stepped in.

Al Sharpton came on to discuss the march to Selma. Joe didn't really ask him about the ferguson report.

Joe is mad at the GOP leadership for not going to Selma.

Mike Allen said the Hillary Email scandal won't matter in the long run.

I looked at that conference because I'm nosy...it's $225!  At first I thought that was a lot...or maybe it's not?  I don't know, actually.

Seems par for the course, ha!  It would generally be a business expense and would be right in line or even maybe a bit on the cheap side if you work for a company that covers a couple conferences/seminars for employees of a certain level every year.

Sigh, so now Mika is endorsing gossip rags... where is she going with all this back and forth?  It's hard to take her seriously about anything, but that's not new.

I honestly don't understand the KYV road tour.

I'm almost totally certain the women who most need to be made aware of best practices, the existence of a supportive environment and even legal structure that can aid a woman's ascendance through the corporate structure would not be able to afford $225 for an afternoon gab-fest.

This is a cynical preaching-to-the-choir posturing and money grab.  Executives and successful women will come to be seen, network, and continue knowing their value. 

Am I off here?  Am I being too cynical?

The group that stands to gain the most ground would be minority women in the workplace.  Successful executive women stand to gain the least ground, as they've already gone very far.  So, for Mika's (insipid) message to truly have a significant effect, shouldn't it be targeted to those who are behind the bell curve, not ahead of it?

• Love 10

There are much better, more well known and respected annual conferences for women to network and learn at, I think it's all connected to trying to up the ratings of this flagging show.  Sure, Mika has a friendship with Valerie Garrett and has been to the White House for round tables about women's issues - but to the general public I just don't think she's a great "leader" or example.  She was born into privilege and has had the benefit of white privilege her whole life, along with all the connections that her father's place in this country has bestowed upon her.  

I sure wouldn't waste a dime on her book or her conference. 

• Love 7
(edited)

I honestly don't understand the KYV road tour.

I'm almost totally certain the women who most need to be made aware of best practices, the existence of a supportive environment and even legal structure that can aid a woman's ascendance through the corporate structure would not be able to afford $225 for an afternoon gab-fest.

This is a cynical preaching-to-the-choir posturing and money grab.  Executives and successful women will come to be seen, network, and continue knowing their value. 

Am I off here?  Am I being too cynical?

The group that stands to gain the most ground would be minority women in the workplace.  Successful executive women stand to gain the least ground, as they've already gone very far.  So, for Mika's (insipid) message to truly have a significant effect, shouldn't it be targeted to those who are behind the bell curve, not ahead of it?

$225 would be fairly inexpensive for a professional conference, IMHO.  OTOH, it'd be expensive for disadvantaged women.  Too bad they can't tie it into a mentoring program, e.g. having the participants sponsor another woman and/or a non-profit to reserve a certain # of slots per program for disadvantaged women.  That way, a portion of a (higher) fee would be tax deductible for those not either running it through their business accounts or attending on their employer's dime. 

Just some random thoughts on how they might have organized it but they forgot to ask me, lol.  Yes, I agree that most attendees will just show up to hopefully see and be seen or they could be Mika-sycophants / Mika-bots.  (Do those exist?  Bet they do, hahaha ... )

I agree, NextIteration, it wouldn't be worth wasting any of my time or professional seminar $$$ on.  And her books?  Uh no, no, no - just no.

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 3

More interesting than the blurb, in the right hand column, job openings:

Featured Jobs

Entertainment/Pop Culture/Lifestyle Host Major Entertainment & Lifestyle Brand New York, NY

Segment Producer, Morning Joe NBC Universal New York, NY

Perhaps they're just satisfying some HR requirement to advertise but wouldn't they have an internal candidate for this slot?  Or, does this mean nobody cares to work with Mika?  lol ...

• Love 1

Huh...I didn't even realize it was a professional conference...like that your JOB would send you!  That's amazing.  I thought it was just personal interest.  (I just go to 1-hour things about new IV pumps or whatever, boring.)

TOTALLY AGREE with the post above (Landsnark,  Mika is preaching to the choir here...and if it was directed towards women at a disadvantage it would be much better.