Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

8 minutes ago, suomi said:

because Joe's only critics are bots and Cheeto-eaters. It has reached the point where I will not be surprised if I hear about H8ers Gonna H8 tweets from these two.

Not a bot here. Can't remember last time I ate Cheeto's.  Mother is deceased, so I can't go to her basement. 

Joe have you noticed no one ever talks about, or writes books about how Rachel Maddow or Chris Hayes kissed Donald Trump's ass non stop during the campaign, and then due to some falling out, are now his biggest critics to the point of being ridiculous? And how they're polite to their guests (even Chris with Carter Page, for fuck's sake!)  Just two examples off the top of my head of people who work at your network who aren't total douchebags, and show up to work on a regular basis (ie every day). 

If you'd like the criticism to stop, do something about it other than write a song about how you're the Bob Dylan of your generation and you won't let criticism stop your assholey ness. 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

He then added that Joe & Mika have confessed to him that “they legitimately think that [Trump] is not a good president, but they realize that sometimes they go over the top in their criticisms.”

Can any criticism be "over the top" anymore?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, suomi said:

Aboout 15 minutes into the first hour a guest was laying down a chronology and relating how phone surveillance played a part: intercepted calls between a husband and his lover. Yes. The word lover was spoken, in a rather unsavory context. Altho she struggled valiantly, an assortment of micro-expressions was visible on Mika's face.

Awhile later, following some predicting and pontificating, Joe said those who don't believe what he says or who disagree with what he says, the Cheeto-eaters in their tighty whiteys, can go down to their parents' basement and get busy criticizing him online along with the Russian bots. He and Mika know the shots are coming, they're used to it by now so, basically, bring it. Which makes a lot of sense when you think about it, because Joe's only critics are bots and Cheeto-eaters. It has reached the point where I will not be surprised if I hear about H8ers Gonna H8 tweets from these two.

Joe used to be able to take constructive criticism of his points without resorting to insults.

• Love 2

tuesday Recap. Joe is in the studio again. Mika is wearing a light blue bathrobe. Heidi is in the library.

Many clips of Trump bragging about the stock market. Of course, it ends with yesterday's 1200 point drop.

Ratner explained the gains in the market were high but wages are growing and interest rates are rising so that spooked the market.

Joe doesn't invest in stocks. he puts his money in hair gel & Connecticut real estate.

Joe talked about the danger of deficits & the need for entitlement reform.

Joe bragging about calling out Glenn Beck.

Joe is mad at Trump for saying it was treason not to clap at the SOTU.

Joe is mad at the GOP for starting conspiracy theories.

Joe is going on & on about the GOP running everything even the Supreme Court.

Joe said you have to be careful about unhinged followees. Joe forgot to discuss the shooting of the Congressmen last summer.

Joe said it was wrong to have tax cuts when the economy is booming.

Mika was pretty quiet through the segment but woke up at 6 23 am to call the GOP being lazy & everything is crumbling.

Joe disagreed with her.

Joe said the GO P controls everything.

Joe is mad at Paul Ryan.

Ratner's charts were good.

Mika & Joe have been foaming at the mouth over Trump for the past year. They shouldn't lecture anyone about civility in political commentary.

• Love 6

I'm reminded of the famous line from Woody Allen's Crimes and Misdemeanors:

"If it bends, it's funny.   If it breaks, it isn't."

Scarborough and Mika's "golly, do you think so?" reverse-psychology routine breaks and breaks and breaks.

It's not as cute as they imagine, and is much less likely to have the intended effect than the same sentiments expressed soberly and maturely.   And not only that, they just don't know when to stop -- they went into a break with it, then started up again when they came back.   Maybe if they could see us cringing.

And is it just me or does Mika seem to have a bad case of RBF?

• Love 8

Scarborough was tougher on Eric Swalwell than ANY Republican representative to appear on this show in the past year.  Wish he gave even a tenth of that resistance to Rand Paul during one of his umpteen visits.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 6

"Um, excuse me.  Excuse me. Mika was trying to say something.  What did you have to say, Mika?"   YIKES
And there was one of the most awkward and uncomfortable 4 or 5 minutes I've ever seen on TV.  I had to mute it.
Shame, because that was a fascinating conversation with the historian/author about Russians manipulating Facebook, and Facebook and the government doing absolutely nothing about it.

• Love 10

LOL, Rick Perlstein called out Scarborough for steamrolling over Mika's question and the steamroller got miffed and started mocking him.   And then stupid Mika joined in the mockery after Perlstein was off camera.  

Know your value.

• Love 7

Oh man I love this Rick Perlstein guy.  Direct hit on Scarborough, too bad that guy will never be on again.  Holy cats those two are out of control today especially Scarborough.  I'll post the video for those that missed it as I am sure Mediate will have the clip up in no time.  They are so gross.

• Love 6
Just now, Landsnark said:

"Um, excuse me.  Excuse me. Mika was trying to say something.  What did you have to say, Mika?"   YIKES
And there was one of the most awkward and uncomfortable 4 or 5 minutes I've ever seen on TV.  I had to mute it.
Shame, because that was a fascinating conversation with the historian/author about Russians manipulating Facebook, and Facebook and the government doing absolutely nothing about it.

OMG.  Joe has a hair-trigger temper that will not be tamed.  I got up and left the room; I couldn't handle the awkwardness.  The panel looked positively gobsmacked, hoping the floor would open up under them.   If Meek-a marries this bully after today, then she deserves all the controlling humiliation that is sure to come.  If he's this bad on air, in public - can you just imagine the bitchery in private?!  He went after Mika, his guests, the control room, everybody.  I'd love to see the producer/director/control room get up and walk off, after that middle-aged temper tantrum.  All the guests can follow suit too.  But we know Meek-a will stand by her man, aka $$$$$$$$$.   Hey, Mika - I know your worth,even if you don't.  It's zero.

• Love 11
1 minute ago, Ladyrain said:

hoping the floor would open up under them

Could you imagine being on set during that... that whatever it was?  I couldn't watch it or listen to it from my couch at home.  Imagine the tension, the insanely awkward energy, at the desk, in the control room, and in the news offices off set.  The wrong desk guests to be on air, too.  Eugene, Ratner, Andrea Mitchell.  So adult, gentle, thoughtful, reserved.   Better to have Heilemann and Donnie and Willie and Barnicle, who'd have cut the tension by backhandedly insulting Joe, and by also giving him an out so he didn't drown in his own ego on air.  YECH!

Roger Bennett from "Men in Blazers" is so great.  And he's right about the refs screwing Liverpool on Sunday.

Can we talk about Mika's make up and terry cloth top?  The blue flatters her, but the shape and texture is odd.  And her lipstick?  I like it, but to be fair, it's full on bimbo and that's probably why I like it.

• Love 7
17 minutes ago, millennium said:

LOL, Rick Perlstein called out Scarborough for steamrolling over Mika's question and the steamroller got miffed and started mocking him.   And then stupid Mika joined in the mockery after Perlstein was off camera.  

Know your value.

What was all that? Still 4:35 AM in the morning out here; I heard "Excuse me. Mika was trying to say something.  What did you have to say, Mika?"  Then what sounded like a complete panel breakdown.  

• Love 3

WTH  at 7:45 Joe says Lanny Davis is coming on.  But instead we have to sit thru a play by play of some soccer match only to find out after that it's a repeat of the first hour.

What is wrong with this show?

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

Oh man I love this Rick Perlstein guy.  Direct hit on Scarborough, too bad that guy will never be on again.  Holy cats those two are out of control today especially Scarborough.  I'll post the video for those that missed it as I am sure Mediate will have the clip up in no time.  They are so gross.

I missed it since I am commuting to work.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, stormy said:

WTH  at 7:45 Joe says Lanny Davis is coming on.  But instead we have to sit thru a play by play of some soccer match only to find out after that it's a repeat of the first hour.

What is wrong with this show?

The soccer stuff was fresh, though I turned it off.   I don't know what's wrong with the show.   The hosts alternately getting up and leaving for segments is strange and annoying.   Appending soccer discussions to a political news show, self-indulgent and also annoying.   I'm surprised they haven't made coverage of his band a daily feature.

I've noticed that the guest they tease at 7:45 usually doesn't come on until 8:30 -- although yesterday they began the 8:30 live broadcast at about 8:25, so I missed five minutes of it.   I don't usually stick around for the last half hour because I refuse to be manipulated but I wanted to see the guys from The Atlantic yesterday.

Among today's many disappointments, it's a pity they didn't showcase Iraqi veteran Tammy Duckworth's response to Trump's "treasonous" remarks regarding applause at the SOTU.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 5
17 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

Could you imagine being on set during that... that whatever it was?  I couldn't watch it or listen to it from my couch at home.  Imagine the tension, the insanely awkward energy, at the desk, in the control room, and in the news offices off set.  The wrong desk guests to be on air, too.  Eugene, Ratner, Andrea Mitchell.  So adult, gentle, thoughtful, reserved.   Better to have Heilemann and Donnie and Willie and Barnicle, who'd have cut the tension by backhandedly insulting Joe, and by also giving him an out so he didn't drown in his own ego on air.  YECH!

Roger Bennett from "Men in Blazers" is so great.  And he's right about the refs screwing Liverpool on Sunday.

Can we talk about Mika's make up and terry cloth top?  The blue flatters her, but the shape and texture is odd.  And her lipstick?  I like it, but to be fair, it's full on bimbo and that's probably why I like it.

Mika should not wear a bathrobe on tv.

Did Andrea talk about her husband, Alan Greenspan being appointed Chair of the Fed right before the 1987 Crash?

Mika just said "Please for the love of God, stop talking," to Joe.  Was that a repeat, or did this just happen live?  Their relationship friction is NOT fun to watch.  That's not fun banter.  They're not Kate Hepburn and Cary Grant.  This is one million miles from "Philadelphia Story."

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

Mika just said "Please for the love of God, stop talking," to Joe.  Was that a repeat, or did this just happen live?  Their relationship friction is NOT fun to watch.  That's not fun banter.  They're not Kate Hepburn and Cary Grant.  This is one million miles from "Philadelphia Story."

I'm sorry Landsnark I missed their replay but she did say something to him along those lines when he was having his meltdown about what Perlstein said to him.  It was after he reached over and put his hand over hers saying "I bought you a ring" and the entire set (especially Mika) freaked out and she told him to stop not only that but everything including talking.  Again, the whole thing was just gross and I have been watching HLN more and more lately as they manage to discuss things besides the Nunes memo 24x7.

What a complete waste of one of their better panels today.

• Love 3

"I'm sorry, but ohmigod, I don't feel sorry that Hillary's emails were on a kid's laptop that Weiner picked up."  Yes, we get it, you hate Hillary Clinton, and every minute mistake others made is actually a volcano of evidence that something, for which there is no penalty large enough to punish Hillary years later.
Also, Huma Abedin is now "a kid?"  Know your value, Mika.

• Love 5

WTH happened this morning? I walked by the tv, Andrea Mitchell had her head in her hands, Eugene looked like he wanted to crawl under the desk.  I didn't catch if there was a spat between JoMika or what, but him grabbing her hands and talking about them being engaged. Holy hell. 

5 minutes ago, stormy said:

This morning Joe even slipped in  "a when we're married".

At this point I'd change "when" to "if".  

• Love 7

I missed a good bit of the show this morning, but did see the Slap and Tickle at the end.  If I had been Stephanie Ruhle and they had infringed on my time with their "banter" and giggling, I would not have been so adult about it.  I am trying to figure out her reaction.  She did nicely move things along.  Good Lord, their exchanage(s) today, what I saw of them, made me SO uncomfortable.  Waay too much insight into their relationship; but I think Meek-a knows her value.  And without being a sidekick (or piece) to MJ...she would be left with her Know Your Value schtick.  And that won't get her very far.

• Love 4

I missed the interview you guys are discussing but Stephanie did a great job shutting Joe down when he was trying to hold Mika's hand (!?) on air. She told Joe "you've been married before..." she left out the TWICE! Andrea was laughing so much they cut to her. 

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

I'm sorry, but ohmigod, I don't feel sorry that Hillary's emails were on a kid's laptop that Weiner picked up."  Yes, we get it, you hate Hillary Clinton, and every minute mistake others made is actually a volcano of evidence that something, for which there is no penalty large enough to punish Hillary years later.
Also, Huma Abedin is now "a kid?"  Know your value, Mika.

I wonder if the "hate" Mika shows for HRC is really jealousy.   A woman who actually did "know her value", did something worthwhile with her life,  helped women & children, served her country. As opposed to posing in Vanity Fair with her leg up in the air and having an affair with her boss. 

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 9

How are they ever going to get reputable journalists and writers on this show when they are so god awful to them?  Joe and Mika are not doing Saturday NightLive, so stop trying to be cute with your calling out Trump for letting his lawyers advise him. Even a dummy like Trump can see what your doing.  Unless these panelists are contracted by MSNBC, I would think they would rather be anywhere than sitting around listening to Joe and Mika act like a couple of high school kids who just started going steady.  Stop talking over your guests and scolding them.

• Love 4

I heard the Let-Mika-talk exchange, but I was half asleep and wondered whether I was dream-watching MJ again. I missed the "I gave you a ring" comment. Did he really say that???

I do love how PTV puts a fire icon next to a show's name when there's lots of activity. A bad day on MJ always makes for a good day here!  

• Love 5

I wandered over to Twitter and women are once again urging Mika to knock it off and/or dump Joe (besides the fact that he's a murderer) but then I went to Joe's feed and found this homemade video of Joe getting too handsy with Mika (JudyMichiganMom is a huge Joe and Mika fan, not):

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

I wonder if the "hate" Mika shows for HRC is really jealousy.   A woman who actually did "know her value", did something worthwhile with her life, actually helped women & children, served her country. As opposed to posing in Vanity Fair with her leg up in the air and having an affair with her boss. 

This!  Without a doubt. 

Meek-a is such a frigging hypocrite.  She touts women 'knowing their value' then she has an adulterous affair with her blowhard boss - who never misses an opportunity to 'put her in her place', in public and on television.  To what end?  To advance her pitiful "career"?  To double the family income?  To generate publicity for the show?  Because I can't even entertain the thought that she might actually love that beady-eyed bully. 

So yeah - I can see Blondie feeling the need to take out her insecurities on another woman who, despite being dragged through the dirt by her husband (and most of the Republican establishment) managed to emerge stronger for it, and who carved out an independent career for herself in public service.  Say what you will about Hillary, she's no shrinking violet.  I don't envision her batting her lashes and making doe eyes at Bubba like Mika does with Joey.

• Love 10

The whole exchange over holding hands and acknowledging being engaged was kind of fascinating.  Joe was definitely rude in the exchange with the author, but Mika never seems to mind it (or is just so used to it), but the on-air make-up made her deeply uncomfortable.  She doesn't seem to mind references that acknowledge they are together -- like, even at the beginning of this show she pointed out that Joe had exercised yesterday, which was "historic" according to her, but also something that someone who was just a co-host (and not a romantic partner) would not know.  They certainly make references to what they do on the weekend, after hours, etc. -- like the whole pig squealing thing a few weeks ago or when they showed the pic of Mika (in Joe's house) cooking from A World in Disarray.  (And they are fine with discussing it on other shows or in the media; they held hands on The View and discussed being engaged; they held hands on Colbert; they've discussed it in numerous articles, the Couric podcast, etc.) 

But she has a line about the relationship being referenced directly on Morning Joe itself -- like it made her uncomfortable for Joe to say they were "engaged," which seemed utterly silly.  (Joe didn't say he gave her a ring, but that she was wearing his ring -- a suggestion that everyone knew it and it was crazy not to acknowledge it, and I agree with him.) The hand holding thing definitely uncomfortably blurs the line between "news" (such as this show is) and something else like tabloid, which understandably makes Mika uncomfortable -- perhaps because she wants to be seen as serious.  That said, I will say from having seen them off-air at several events, including the 10th Anniversary show, they are quite affectionate when the cameras are not on them.  Indeed, at the 10th Anniversary show, Mika would occasionally put her arm on Joe's back, when the camera was off them.  (She also has kissed Joe several times during his live feeds for his band's performance, including the one on Saturday in Boston.) It's about being "caught" on camera during MJ for Mika, and what that suggests -- and I think it goes to her fundamental insecurity about not being as good as the rest/not being as smart as or as knowledgeable as, and only being seen as Joe's romantic other.  

Edited by Mmtx2002
  • Love 7

Mika is such an elitist. "I walked out of the first Star Wars."  Mika, you were 10 when it came out--just where did you go to when you walked out, the playground? I hate that humblebragging shit--I don't watch TV, I don't engage in lowbrow popular culture.

• Love 7
15 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

Mika is such an elitist. "I walked out of the first Star Wars."  Mika, you were 10 when it came out--just where did you go to when you walked out, the playground? I hate that humblebragging shit--I don't watch TV, I don't engage in lowbrow popular culture.

She thinks she sounds "elite" but it's just she's too dumb to understand the plots of most movies or tv shows.   She thinks saying stupid shit like this makes her sound smart. 

Hey Dipshit - Warren Buffet loved Breaking Bad. President Obama's favorite show was The Wire, Bill Gates watches Homeland, This Is Us (okay that I have to question) and The Crown, Michelle Obama watches Scandal and Theresa May watches Poirot.

So STFU about not watching tv.  It doesn't make you sound smart, it makes you sound like you're too stupid to appreciate a medium that has produced the finest drama available in the last 20 years. 

The first Star Wars is not the greatest movie ever made, but it is a touchstone of 20th Century culture.  How about appreciating the technical aspects of it, and that it changed film making. 

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Chloesmom said:

I wandered over to Twitter and women are once again urging Mika to knock it off and/or dump Joe (besides the fact that he's a murderer) but then I went to Joe's feed and found this homemade video of Joe getting too handsy with Mika (JudyMichiganMom is a huge Joe and Mika fan, not):

I saw this part but what led up to it? Did Mika chastise Joe for interrupting her?

1 hour ago, Mmtx2002 said:

The whole exchange over holding hands and acknowledging being engaged was kind of fascinating.  Joe was definitely rude in the exchange with the author, but Mika never seems to mind it (or is just so used to it), but the on-air make-up made her deeply uncomfortable.  She doesn't seem to mind references that acknowledge they are together -- like, even at the beginning of this show she pointed out that Joe had exercised yesterday, which was "historic" according to her, but also something that someone who was just a co-host (and not a romantic partner) would not know.  They certainly make references to what they do on the weekend, after hours, etc. -- like the whole pig squealing thing a few weeks ago or when they showed the pic of Mika (in Joe's house) cooking from A World in Disarray.  (And they are fine with discussing it on other shows or in the media; they held hands on The View and discussed being engaged; they held hands on Colbert; they've discussed it in numerous articles, the Couric podcast, etc.) 

But she has a line about the relationship being referenced directly on Morning Joe itself -- like it made her uncomfortable for Joe to say they were "engaged," which seemed utterly silly.  (Joe didn't say he gave her a ring, but that she was wearing his ring -- a suggestion that everyone knew it and it was crazy not to acknowledge it, and I agree with him.) The hand holding thing definitely uncomfortably blurs the line between "news" (such as this show is) and something else like tabloid, which understandably makes Mika uncomfortable -- perhaps because she wants to be seen as serious.  That said, I will say from having seen them off-air at several events, including the 10th Anniversary show, they are quite affectionate when the cameras are not on them.  Indeed, at the 10th Anniversary show, Mika would occasionally put her arm on Joe's back, when the camera was off them.  (She also has kissed Joe several times during his live feeds for his band's performance, including the one on Saturday in Boston.) It's about being "caught" on camera during MJ for Mika, and what that suggests -- and I think it goes to her fundamental insecurity about not being as good as the rest/not being as smart as or as knowledgeable as, and only being seen as Joe's romantic other.  

My guess is that they agreed not to discuss their engagement much on the air to keep some semblance of professionalism to the show. As you described, they are definitely a lot more affectionate with each other, and more open to discussing their relationship in other venues.

The funny thing is that in the past (both before and after they announced their engagement), Mika was actually the more touchy of the two on air, with all the times she would touch his leg or briefly put her hand on his back (not to mention all her loving gazes).

Then there was the time that Joe asked Mika how her 4th of July was, and Mika said 'Well, I was with you"

Today, however, was the first on-air overtly romantic gesture. While I do like to see the glimpses of their personal relationship in other venues, I think they would be better served to keep this type of thing off Morning Joe (although I don't think there would be a problem with joint bunker appearances).

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:
1 hour ago, teddysmom said:

I saw this part but what led up to it? Did Mika chastise Joe for interrupting her?

Ah, I knew Mediate wouldn't let me down.  Here is a clearer, more encompassing video clip and narrative of what happened:

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/morning-joe-gets-painfully-awkward-after-guest-asks-joe-to-let-mika-speak-did-your-earpiece-go-out/

Again, Joe knows what his faults are. Kissing Trump's ass, interrrupting Mika and everyone else, etc.

Mature adults work on their faults and try to be better instead of berating people who point out the effect of their rude behavior. 

Yes Joe, your tongue bathing of Trump helped elect him.

Yes Joe, your interrupting everyone, and being rude to guests on your show demonstrates what a total douchebag you are. 

The truth hurts. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

Mika is such an elitist. "I walked out of the first Star Wars."  Mika, you were 10 when it came out--just where did you go to when you walked out, the playground? 

thanks for my first good laugh of the day.  

• Love 5
2 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

Why is someone called an elitist when they don’t like something other people do? I was a 9 year old when Star Wars came out and I didn’t like it either, and I’m far from being an elitist. 

• Love 1
Just now, chillenout said:

Why is someone called an elitist when they don’t like something other people do? I was a 9 year old when Star Wars came out and I didn’t like it either, and I’m far from being an elitist. 

I think it's more her way of expressing her dislike for ANYTHING to do with pop culture.

She can't just say "you know, I didn't care for it" or I liked this about it, but that seemed silly.

She puts on airs that anything on television or movies is beneath her.  

She can't just say, between the job and the girls, I don't have a lot of time to watch tv, it always has to be a put down. 

TBH, I tried to rewatch A New Hope a few months ago and couldn't believe how bad it was. Not from the story per se, just the writing, and Mark Hamill's acting.  And a coworker, who is a SW fanatic, totally agreed with me.   

I loved Force Awakens and don't even get me started on Rogue One, loved it so much. Last Jedi?  Not so much. 

You can not like something without making others that do like it feel bad. Mika doesn't have that skill. 

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Mmtx2002 said:

The whole exchange over holding hands and acknowledging being engaged was kind of fascinating.  Joe was definitely rude in the exchange with the author, but Mika never seems to mind it (or is just so used to it)

Maybe the bullying turns her on.   

The few wide shots of the panel during the cringe-worthy exchange were pure gold. At one point Joe said "You're wearing a ring. What? Did Noah Rothman give you that ring?" Noah, sitting next to Mika, put on a horrified face and displayed and pointed to his wedding ring while shaking his head "No. Uh uh.' ROFL. 

I think Mika has an underlying sense of unease re their affair, especially as to how her girls are dealing with the fallout. Joe acts like, because he put a ring on it, anything goes. I don't see them getting married. If they do, I don't see it lasting. The reasons thus far for delaying it sound weak. Their affair was conducted in secrecy until Trump out-ed them. The dynamic changes when an affair turns into a relationship because secrecy adds a certain flavor. In this case, the relationship clock was publicly re-started and Joe's version of courtship is being televised. Lucky us! These two deserve each other. Lucky them!

• Love 4