Type keyword(s) to search

Retro Y&R: When the Restless Were Also Young

• Start Topic

5 minutes ago, boes said:

You're right.  I bet she goes right for the Sherwin-Williams collection.  

Semi-gloss for evening.  Flat for Night.  High Gloss, nevah!

I dunno, speaking as a former paint and coatings professional,  that lipstick could have come from our Put On Your Shades 'Cuz Imma Comin' collection.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I dunno, speaking as a former paint and coatings professional,  that lipstick could have come from our Put On Your Shades 'Cuz Imma Comin' collection.

HAHAHAHA! 

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Hiyo said:

The show really had a music element to it back in the day, no? Poor Philip and Nina, having their reception upstaged by Danny's music video (which needs to be seen and heard to be believed)...

The production is a little florid, but that's to be expected with a Soap music video. MD doesn't butcher Rock On, but he's no David Essex.

• Love 4

For me, the highlight of today's episode was finding out that Nick has always been a petulant child. I always thought he found out about Cassie after they got married but he apparently knew that going into it cuz he didn't expect to have to raise this kid!

And boy, were they laying on that eventual Nick/Grace affair hella thick with the whole "Sharon doesn't get meeeeeee!" bullshit.

Ahh, Michael Baldwin in the good ol' days when villains had to actually earn that redemption and not use daddy issues as an excuse to be a pill.

Whoever this actress playing Phyllis at the time, I like her. The character herself is as tone-deaf as ever but this actress doesn't repeat her lines

Lastly, is it just me or have Nictor spent way more time apart in this "Decades of Love" celebration than they do together? Aside from their first wedding that's been re-aired a hundred times, are there any romantic moments together when they weren't with other people or dying?

• LOL 1
  • Love 10

I thought the makeup brand used in that scene was from Jabot. And I was surprised the hospital gift shop carried Jabot cosmetics. But I swear I saw a J on that compact. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
On 5/6/2020 at 4:57 PM, PSG said:

Now, now. She also awkwardly thrust her ass from side to side, once or twice, with no discernible sense of rhythm, and stuck her arms straight up in the air a few times. Oh, and then she clumsily bent way down in her lingerie, and stood back up again. All the very best and most seductive dance moves, folks. 

The lack of rhythm was amazing. My daughter was a ballet dancer until the age of 18 so it’s really sticking out to me. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I thought the makeup brand used in that scene was from Jabot. And I was surprised the hospital gift shop carried Jabot cosmetics. But I swear I saw a J on that compact. 

You did.  It was totally Jabot.  For some reason I have a memory of our local hospital gift shop having a Mary Kay (or maybe Avon) display.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
15 minutes ago, geauxaway said:

You did.  It was totally Jabot.  For some reason I have a memory of our local hospital gift shop having a Mary Kay (or maybe Avon) display.

Growing up our local county hospital carried Mary Kay products in their gift shop. I still use old school MK Emollient Night Cream and trying out the TimeWise Miracle 3D products. My mother is a lifetime MK customer, and has beautiful skin for a semi-arid desert dweller.

• Useful 4
  • Love 5
(edited)
On 5/7/2020 at 4:30 PM, Cupid Stunt said:

The production is a little florid, but that's to be expected with a Soap music video. MD doesn't butcher Rock On, but he's no David Essex.

I had no idea that Michael Damien was an actual recording artist!  (And yes, def no David Essex).  But I just read his wiki page and he has had an actual recording career.  I just thought he was a fake soap recording star. 

Edited by bannana
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2

Well, he was no Rick Springfield, that's fer darned sure.  But he was also a Broadway star.  They wrote into the show that Danny was starring in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (is that the right name?  It didn't sound right as I was typing it) while MD was doing the same.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

Well, he was no Rick Springfield, that's fer darned sure.  But he was also a Broadway star.  They wrote into the show that Danny was starring in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (is that the right name?  It didn't sound right as I was typing it) while MD was doing the same.

Haha!  There's another one, but I did at least know about "Jessie's Girl".  According to Wiki, MD's Rock On was something of a hit!  And. yes, Broadway.  I had no idea.

• Love 4
(edited)

I remember Keesha. She started out black (Wanda Acuna) and ended up white (Jennifer Gatti). Ironically, despite the racial difference, the two actresses looked so similar (features, skin tone, hair) that I couldn't quite tell.

Edited by Camille
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 5/15/2020 at 11:57 PM, Hiyo said:

In honor of the Winters clan, here is a video of Olivia going all ham (in the best way possible) on Keesha...

I guess this was supposed to be a PSA, but WTF with Olivia going off on Keesha instead of on Nathan.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Yeah, if what Keesha said is true - that she didn't know Nathan was married when they hooked up - then yes, Nathan really deserved to the target of her rage, not Keesha.

Then again, given the circumstances, I can also see why Olivia may not be thinking rationally here.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, bannana said:

I guess this was supposed to be a PSA, but WTF with Olivia going off on Keesha instead of on Nathan.

This is a Bell soap, so men are never held to account. Great acting but the material is a yikes.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Anna Yolei said:

This is a Bell soap, so men are never held to account. Great acting but the material is a yikes.

Exactly. It must run in the family, because her sister Dru went off on Carmen in much the same way. In fact, even worse, what with breaking into and trashing her apartment and later assaulting her. 

It's slightly different in that Carmen knew Neil was married, but she got the "My marriage is in trouble" song and dance--which was true! 

I've never forgotten how much I hated that storyline for the way Carmen was vilified and ganged up on--even by Neil himself!

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

Honestly, I think that was the point in which I started giving Kneel the side eye. KSJ's untimely death is a huge loss to this show and this canvas but I can't forget how the show completely let Neil skate on Victor Newman-esque kidnapping of Hilary. There was no coming back from that. Fuck the writers for going there at all, but especially with one of the show's few iconic men of color who was typically portrayed as a decent person, if somewhat of a bloated ego.

Didn't Phyllis kill Carmen? Like, straight murder her over something?

• Love 6
(edited)
14 hours ago, Anna Yolei said:

No, it was some one-off character named Jana. I forget the motive. By that point, I was thoroughly disgusted with the storyline and the way Carmen was turned into a supposed  Asshole Victim. Neil and Carmen had a completely mutual flirtation/fling which Dru reacted to by trashing Carmen's apartment and later physically assaulting her--incidents that Neil witnessed!--yet viewers were constantly told "Carmen's an evil tramp who tried to seduce sweet, innocent, happily married Neil and is pressing trumped-up charges against Dru out of revenge for Neil rebuffing her." Um, that's NOT what happened.

Newsflash, people. No one is telling you to be best friends with the person your spouse is fooling around with, but being cheated on does NOT give you carte blanche to commit crimes.

Edited by Camille
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Anna Yolei said:

Honestly, I think that was the point in which I started giving Kneel the side eye. KSJ's untimely death is a huge loss to this show and this canvas but I can't forget how the show completely let Neil skate on Victor Newman-esque kidnapping of Hilary. There was no coming back from that. Fuck the writers for going there at all, but especially with one of the show's few iconic men of color who was typically portrayed as a decent person, if somewhat of a bloated ego.

Let us also not forget that Neil was complicit in the kidnapping and torture of Jack. He actually fooled Drinki into signing a contract at Pricktor's behest.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
On 5/23/2020 at 8:59 PM, Camille said:

No, it was some one-off character named Jana.

Wait, was that the same Jana that Kevin married?! 

I know she stayed around for a while but I legit forgot she ever existed.

• Love 4

If Victoria Newman married Neil Winters she's be Victoria Winters. Then she could go back in time at a seance to 1795 and be tried as a witch and hanged. Even though the last person hanged for witchcraft in the US was in 1692 in Salem Mass. not Collinsport Maine.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

If Victoria Newman married Neil Winters she's be Victoria Winters. Then she could go back in time at a seance to 1795 and be tried as a witch and hanged. Even though the last person hanged for witchcraft in the US was in 1692 in Salem Mass. not Collinsport Maine.

Peacheslatour, you've just made everything clear to me!  Victor must have come through the Time Portal from Collinsport and THAT'S how we ended up with Count Chocula.   Forget that orphanage bullshit!

Poor Victoria Winters......if I had a nickel for everytime she said "I don't understand".

No dear, you certainly did not.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, boes said:

Peacheslatour, you've just made everything clear to me!  Victor must have come through the Time Portal from Collinsport and THAT'S how we ended up with Count Chocula.   Forget that orphanage bullshit!

Poor Victoria Winters......if I had a nickel for everytime she said "I don't understand".

She was in a constant state of bafflement. And then no sooner does she get hanged for witchcraft, instead of a nice afterlife she wakes up in the house with another vampire. Poor planning there Vic.

• LOL 6
21 minutes ago, boes said:

I’m still catching up with Dark Shadows on Amazon Prime. I really got into it last year but dropped off after their time travel (or is the second). Anyhoo, Victoria Winters really was confused a lot. LOL!!!! A major reason why the actress left the role but was so popular all the recast failed. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
22 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

I’m still catching up with Dark Shadows on Amazon Prime. I really got into it last year but dropped off after their time travel (or is the second). Anyhoo, Victoria Winters really was confused a lot. LOL!!!! A major reason why the actress left the role but was so popular all the recast failed. 

I read Danny Horn's Dark Shadows Every Day, where he recaps every episode. This is what he said about her first time travel: 

"Vicki is confused. That’s not a particularly startling development, because she generally goes around in a state of ongoing bafflement, but this time she has a good reason."

• LOL 5

All the talk about Brad and his taking his shirt off in the credits had me hunting for the video of that.

Here you go, it's around the 1:20 minute mark.

Also, these credits, almost like drawings coming to life, were my favorite Y&R credits.

We have Danny rocking out, Victoria looking sassy, Jill looking vampy, Esther with her feather duster, and Kay getting a nice big necklace from Rex (well, she probably paid for it). I also liked how some of them seemed to be giving each other looks (like the side eye Dru gave Olivia).

I especially love John and Jack all gussied up and Jack sporting the white scarf. So elegant.

What say you?

• Love 6

The openings are so cheesy, but in the best way possible. Like, the kind of way that requires a bottle of wine as well...

Danny's pose and turn at the beginning is everything.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

Yeah, I really wanted the, to go back even further with OG Jack & Jill. That’s when Y&R was on fire. Of course, you could go even further back with the Brooks girls and their Stuart. I remember when Liz Foster was dating Stuart and Jill wanted him for herself. She seduced him during the summer storyline and he succumbed to her feminine wiles. He was basically the precursor to John Abbott. I thought Robert Colbert was so dashing with his gray hair and he was shirtless all the time because he was boffing Jill. Ahhhh! The good ole days. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Yeah, I really wanted the, to go back even further with OG Jack & Jill. That’s when Y&R was on fire. Of course, you could go even further back with the Brooks girls and their Stuart. I remember when Liz Foster was dating Stuart and Jill wanted him for herself. She seduced him during the summer storyline and he succumbed to her feminine wiles. He was basically the precursor to John Abbott. I thought Robert Colbert was so dashing with his gray hair and he was shirtless all the time because he was boffing Jill. Ahhhh! The good ole days. 

I'm guessing that Jill has had a thing for way older men back in the day!

Ji Min was one helluva outlier! 🤣😮

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Anna Yolei said:

I'm guessing that Jill has had a thing for way older men back in the day!

Ji Min was one helluva outlier! 🤣😮

Totally forgot about him. He had a great look. It was another wasted opportunity. I think they killed him off, right?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

The funny thing about the Liz/Stuart/Jill triangle, he ended up marrying Jill who had faked being pregnant with his baby. When he found out she wasn't really pregnant, he divorced Jill and then married Liz.

Ah, soaps, where your ex-husband goes on to become your step-dad...

Edited by Hiyo
  • LOL 9

It was one of those ambiguous situations the writers did which backfired somewhat in their faces. It was in 1998 or 1999, and basically Paul initiates a bit of rough aggressive sex with Christine. She wasn't all that into it, but at the same time, she didn't put up much resistance to it either. Then later Paul breaks down and apologizes to Christine, damn near having a meltdown while he does.

The producers and writers at the time said it was never meant to be a rape scene, just an uncomfortable one, but as I said, it backfired in that many people did see it as rape.

And then to complicate things further, he goes out to California, she follows him, and they end up boinking on the beach...which SHE initiated.

Not the best thought out plotting we have seen on this show.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Anna Yolei said:

I'm sorry...the WHAT now?!

I've never heard about that happening, just the Michael attempted attack.

It was fall of 2002. Despite having cheated on Christine with Isabella, as well as gotten her pregnant and married her, Paul went to Christine's place to rail at her for getting engaged to Michael, ignoring the numerous times she told him to leave. At some point, he began kissing her, and although she initially responded, she pulled away and AGAIN, clearly told him that she wanted him to leave--in other words, "NO". He threw her onto the bed and the last thing we saw was him pinning her arms back in response to her trying to push him off of her. The next scene was of her lying in bed huddled under the covers while he was getting dressed and tearfully apologizing.

The writers tried to present it as ambiguous, but Paul himself declared to his brother  "I raped her".

I never understood how it was resolved, but as always, it fell to the woman to absolve the man of his actions.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

Well, at least it’s not a Sphyllis retrospective

Is that a pairing? I know someone on TWOP came up with that term to refer to Phyllis in general, but I don't remember if it was one of those "cute" couple names that we also always came up with.

A few weeks ago the theme was "The Bold Get Restless", referring to all the Y&R/B&B crossovers. It's too bad I missed it.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1