Type keyword(s) to search

Retro Y&R: When the Restless Were Also Young

• Start Topic

I wasn't watching regularly during that era. Was Ryan known to be a manho or did he shoot heroin or something? Having unprotected sex has long been a bad idea--especially for the  woman--but was there a reason for Ashley and the doctor to be trying to put Victoria in such a panic about AIDS in particular?

I don't know if "manho" is the right word to describe, but it was pretty clear that he was experienced.  Ryan had been sleeping with Nina at the same time he was dating Victoria, and Victoria knew it.  She let herself into his apartment when he wasn't home because she wanted to surprise him, but she got the surprise instead when he came home with Nina and she got to watch them while she hid in the closet.   Victoria decided that she had to have sex with him if she had any chance against Nina.

Also keep in mind that the times were different.  All the PSAs in the early 90s led you to believe that unprotected sex and AIDS went hand in hand, and you're sleeping with every person that person slept with and every person that person slept with and so on...Can you imagine if they still did that today?  We wouldn't get any WTD stories!

Y&R had a lot of AIDS stories back then...Cricket's mother who married John, and they kind of did the same thing with Olivia that they did with Victoria.  Nathan had an affair, the woman he had an affair with was HIV+, and Olivia had to keep getting HIV tests for a year until she was in the clear.  

• Love 7

I guess the PSAs were compensating for how society at large assumed it was a "gay plague" that didn't affect you if you were heterosexual and nothing much was done about it till about that time. Hokey and corny as that is, I enjoy the fact that soaps at least tried to relate to the issues of their audience and are a reflection of the decade in which they aired. The closest to RL issues of today that any of the shows get are B&B's infamous list of helicopter parents fighting their kids' battles over the company or love interests. Yawn.

• Love 7

Exactly.  This was the time when AIDS went mainstream, and heterosexuals were made aware that they were not immune.  Movies at the time shied away from promiscuity.  Even James Bond was monogamous in The Living Daylights, and a huge deal was made about that.  It stayed that way until Kevin Costner and Y&R alumna Sean Young had sex in the back of a limo soon after meeting in No Way Out.  

There were also a lot attempts at separating fact from misinformation, and I think Y&R did a good job with that, especially when John married Crickets mom (I'm blanking on her name).    

• Love 5

Still, it seemed like such overkill unless there was a definite reason to think Ryan was engaging in risky behavior with multiple women. Whatever, it's interesting that they rarely mention using condoms ("protection") now unless there's a pregnancy scare later. Characters can have all the extramarital and pre-marital sex they want, in dumpsters, the back seat of cars, or on shared office furniture but no one can mention birth control, STDs, etc...Progress?

• Love 4
(edited)

There was also an age difference between them.  Victoria was about 18 or so, and Ryan was already out of college and in Jabot's executive training program.  But I do agree that it seemed like a bit of an over-reaction.  I think that was the first time Victoria confided in Wicked Witch Ashley instead of her mother, so Ashley thought it might be a good idea to scare the fuck out of Victoria and traumatize her for life make sure Victoria was ok after her first sexual experience.

Edited by Snaporaz
clarification
  • Love 3
(edited)
49 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Characters can have all the extramarital and pre-marital sex they want, in dumpsters, the back seat of cars, or on shared office furniture but no one can mention birth control, STDs, etc...Progress?

There was an all too brief period when Michael's hippygoth sister Eden and Noah made a big deal about using condoms.  The scenes didn't really underline safe sex as much as they pointed out how dumb their parents were.  Likey and Shick got all morality police about the 'kids' having sex before marriage and sprinkled it with a little 'safe sex' advice.  Coming from that bunch it was, like, reeaaallly?.......  Then the kids told them not only were they having sex, but they were using condoms and said it all adult and practical.  (Made me think their sex time was probably pretty sterile).  The best part was seeing the parents look abashed at being such poor examples.

Edited by MollyB
clarity
  • Love 7

Victoria was only 15 and still in high school. Then she "married" Ryan when she turned 16. She was still underage so Victor and Jack had their marriage dissolved.

The Judge scolded Ryan for getting involved with an underage girl. Technically he was a statutory rapist.

• Love 7
(edited)

I already posted this before, but here it is again...Olivia confronting Keesha over Keesha's affair with Nathan, and how that could have exposed Olivia's family to AIDS.

Kind of over-the-top, but in a good way, especially if you know the context of the scene.

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 5

Victoria was only 15 and still in high school. Then she "married" Ryan when she turned 16. She was still underage so Victor and Jack had their marriage dissolved.

How does the daughter of Victor Newman get married while underaged? Did they use false names and IDs and go to another state? Geez, no wonder Victoria's such a mess with men.

• Love 3

Wait...Victor and Jack had their marriage dissolved? I wasn't watching back then, was this Ryan person one of Jack's kids? If so what happened to him?

Jack was Victoria'Victoria's stepfather at the time. From the clip about Vikki's AIDS crisis, maybe Nikki was still recovering and that's why she wasn't prest at the hearing? 

I admit it's odd to see Victor and Jack on the same side of any issue these days.

• Love 5

Victor felt Ryan was too old for Victoria so he tried to play matchmaker and set her up with another high school student Brandon Collins played by Paul Walker (Fast & Furious).

Paul Walker was adorkably cute!

RIP :(

• Love 8
On July 5, 2016 at 3:36 AM, AndySmith said:

I already posted this before, but here it is again...Olivia confronting Keesha over Keesha's affair with Nathan, and how that could have exposed Olivia's family to AIDS.

Kind of over-the-top, but in a good way, especially if you know the context of the scene.

Yeah, Nathan was a real dirty dog in this instance. Having unprotected sex with another woman while trying to get your wife pregnant? Just low. But it was the perfect way to show a housewife 'protected' in the suburbs that they too could get HIV. 

• Love 7
7 hours ago, ByTor said:

Wow, Mackenzie was even more pissy than I remembered.  

Not as pissy as the version played by Cybil Shepard's daughter, though. I mean, my God, did that Mac ever smile one time while she was on the show?

• Love 6

If Clementine Ford smiled once, that would be one more time than Ashley Bashioum :)  That was why I couldn't stand her teen storyline, all she did was frown & scowl, but the boys were tripping over themselves to kiss her dour ass.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

So, I got a question I've not been able to figure out. Billy was born in 1993....was that before or after the ONS with Jack that one time?  I know she and John split up over that but I can't figure if she finds out about her pregnancy after the divorce was in motion.

that would be quite a bit earlier cause that's what caused her divorce with john and jill getting 20% of jabot.  or else she was going to tell all about it to the papers  and well, everyone...

jill had an affair with victor just before she got pregnant with billy so some thought at the time maybe it would be vic's kid. anyway, jill wanted to be more than just a piece of tail with vic but that's all he thought of her. so she wanted to get back with john. then got pregnant.  john didn't think it was his cause he'd had a vasectomy, but it didn't take..

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Anna Yolei said:

So, I got a question I've not been able to figure out. Billy was born in 1993....was that before or after the ONS with Jack that one time?  I know she and John split up over that but I can't figure if she finds out about her pregnancy after the divorce was in motion.

Yeah, Jack and Jill's ONS was back in the 80s.  I'm pretty sure Terry Lester was Jack and Brenda Dickson was Jill at the time.  And, Anna, I know you're a B&B fan, so you might remember that Lindsay, who took the photos of Jack and Jill in the cabin and used them to blackmail Jack, went on to become Margo in the very early days of B&B!

• Love 2

I actually didn't know that, but given the number of actors there whom Bell had previously worked with, it doesn't surprise me!

So how did John and Jill reunite long enough to create Billy? I can't find any clips of him before the DT teen years.

• Love 2

John and Jill were married twice. The first marriage was from 1982 to 1985. The second time was from 1993 to 1996. Billy was born onscreen in 1993, though he was SORASed to 16 years old in 1999.

Also, I linked their names to their respective soapcentral.com profiles. The profiles on that site might occasionally have some information missing, but it's a good start whenever I need to fill in the blanks regarding anyone's history.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

jill had an affair with victor just before she got pregnant with billy so some thought at the time maybe it would be vic's kid. 

I know Victor doesn't need to have more spawn, but how awesome (and disgusting...Victoria eeewwww) would that be if it were discovered that punk Billy-boy Abbott is Victor's??? :)

Edited by ByTor
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
9 hours ago, ByTor said:

I know Victor doesn't need to have more spawn, but how awesome (and disgusting...Victoria eeewwww) would that be if it were discovered that punk Billy-boy Abbott is Victor's??? :)

"!"

Theyve ripped off every other halfway decent story, so why not crib from Jill/Katherine? No one buys this Billy to be an Abbott anyway, and the irony of Heather and David Tom having been in those roles as RL siblings would be funny.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Ah yes. Good old fashioned soapy bitchiness. *sigh* Those were the days.

Yep.  Now all we've got is ButtBiscuitness.

Katherine would have aimed right for his nostrils.

• Love 6

Also a clip of John and Dina from 1996

and a clip of Julia, Neil and Malcolm's forgotten aunt:

as an aside, I liked that she shut Malcolm down when he was griping her for info on Olivia's illness. When do you ever see men getting shut down these days?

• Love 5