Type keyword(s) to search

Retro Y&R: When the Restless Were Also Young

• Start Topic

Came across this while looking for old Y&R clips (inspired by the flashback-palooza of last week).

Ah, the 80s. What a time to be alive.

Gotta love the ginormous cellophane bow on Lauren's ass.

And now I know where Sexy Sax made its debut.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 3
25 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

Came across this while looking for old Y&R clips (inspired by the flashback-palooza of last week).

Ah, the 80s. What a time to be alive.

Gotta love the ginormous cellophane bow on Lauren's ass.

And now I know where Sexy Sax made its debut.

<HONK!>

Lauren's flash dress style lingers on.

23 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

So, that's Danny? That's what they were all fighting over? 

11 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

And just think, Cockroach and Sphyllis fought over him, too.

10 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Yeesh.

Danny Romalotti was the young male hunk of burning bland in those halcyon days. I couldn't get into a guy who spent more time on his hair than I did. 

I did miss Patty Weaver when TIIC wrote her off after Darvon bought the GCAC. 

• Love 10
13 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Danny Romalotti was the young male hunk of burning bland in those halcyon days. I couldn't get into a guy who spent more time on his hair than I did. 

I did miss Patty Weaver when TIIC wrote her off after Darvon bought the GCAC. 

Well, I guess if they couldn't get Rick Springfield or Ronnnnnn Moss doing "Baby Come Back"...they tried for a swooshy cover artist that the camera sorta liked.

I do miss Patty Weaver as well.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
7 minutes ago, pearlite said:

Well, I guess if they couldn't get Rick Springfield or Ronnnnnn Moss doing "Baby Come Back"...they tried for a swooshy cover artist that the camera sorta liked.

I do miss Patty Weaver as well.

You think, knowing Y&R was the numero uno soap back then,  that they could have at least gotten a Backstreet Boy.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

You think, knowing Y&R was the numero uno soap back then,  that they could have at least gotten a Backstreet Boy.

I think they were still in diapers back then, maybe a New Kid on the Block. 😉

• LOL 8

Didn't Michael Damian's cover of "Rock On" actually make some kind of placement on the charts in real life?   I miss Gina, too, as well as Rex.  Wasn't Gina unwittingly mixed up in the whole Kay/Marge switch?  I think the guy she was dating (was his name Cliff?) was the mastermind.  Gina sure could pick-em!  The show was so much better when it wasn't 97% Newman-centric. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 9

knowing Y&R was the numero uno soap back then

What year was this from? Y&R didn't become #1 in the ratings until the 1987/88 season...

But yeah, it's like the 80s threw up all over that video, in the most glorious way possible.

Apparently, everyone got to sing in the 80s?

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Lol, BSB was what *my* generation went gaga over 🤣 personally, I was into the retro swing bands that were popular in the late 90s like the Brian Setzer Orchestra and just zoned out when my friends started gushing. I think Justin Timberlake or Nick Lashay was in the group? 

....I'm kidding, they were both in O-Town 😉 

53 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

And not everyone should have. I mean geez, those poor ladies in that first clip couldn't carry a tune if they were given a bucket and took turns holding it!

But I'll take the escapist surrealism of the 80s to the dreariness now. The 80s probably had its own Buttbiscuit, but at least the guy wooed the ladies and you got steaming sex scenes.

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, Anna Yolei said:

Lol, BSB was what *my* generation went gaga over 🤣 personally, I was into the retro swing bands that were popular in the late 90s like the Brian Setzer Orchestra and just zoned out when my friends started gushing. I think Justin Timberlake or Nick Lashay was in the group? 

....I'm kidding, they were both in O-Town 😉 

And not everyone should have. I mean geez, those poor ladies in that first clip couldn't carry a tune if they were given a bucket and took turns holding it!

But I'll take the escapist surrealism of the 80s to the dreariness now. The 80s probably had its own Buttbiscuit, but at least the guy wooed the ladies and you got steaming sex scenes.

Mmmm, speaking of show and boy bands, so to speak, as it were... There was Nick and Dimples Cibrian! Three Deep, if you will:

Andnn3cyPXRjNkZG6JkMY1dKW6fUGs9Oxswt_AUA6r5CoV7M8KLNW6WKcLfOdisKf-GeM2I6RXqQuItl6Oqaj46iXdRW-WK64e63bxCHB3D5dgs.jpg

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
On 2/24/2020 at 9:04 PM, Hiyo said:

What year was this from? Y&R didn't become #1 in the ratings until the 1987/88 season...

But yeah, it's like the 80s threw up all over that video, in the most glorious way possible.

Oh god - that was during the 45 seconds they tried to make us believe Cricket was some wildly talented, badass dancer. Fortunately, the abandondd that storyline and sent her to law school to save the world.

• LOL 10
13 hours ago, BlueSilver said:

Oh god - that was during the 45 seconds they tried to make us believe Cricket was some wildly talented, badass dancer. Fortunately, the abandondd that storyline and sent her to law school to save the world.

Like when Drinki was an exotic "dancer"? I've seen her "perform". All she did was walk around on stage in an evening gown. 

• LOL 8
On 2/25/2020 at 12:04 AM, Hiyo said:

What in fresh 80s hell is this?

Elaine Benes had more rhythm. 

And that they used a body double for some of this was totally obvious. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

Now, now Nikki put her all into flinging around her various accessories.

And I had completely forgotten all about this scene:

I love Jack calmly picking up her discarded accessories/dress, et al.

Was that the Colonnade room? Keep it klassy Drinki.

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
On 3/5/2020 at 1:48 PM, CountryGirl said:

Now, now Nikki put her all into flinging around her various accessories.

And I had completely forgotten all about this scene:

I love Jack calmly picking up her discarded accessories/dress, et al.

That is hilarious!  Who is the woman with Pricktor?

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I love how in this clip after she is done with her stripping, she puts on a robe and comes back out for a victory lap to thank her adoring fans...I guess that's what strippers did back in the day?

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, bannana said:

That is hilarious!  Who is the woman with Pricktor?

I'm pretty sure it's Brenda Epperson who played Ashley after Eileen left Y&R the first time.  I just missed seeing her in the role since I started watching regularly the year after she exited the show.

• Love 6
On 3/15/2020 at 11:45 AM, Jaded said:

I'm pretty sure it's Brenda Epperson who played Ashley after Eileen left Y&R the first time.  I just missed seeing her in the role since I started watching regularly the year after she exited the show.

It is - I actually really loved her Ashley. No one can top ED, but BE came very close.

• Useful 3
  • Love 6

Actually, I believe that was the character “Cassandra Rowlins” with Victor. Can’t offhand remember the actress’s name. She was the object of Paul’s desire for a while, and the original inhabitant of the stone house where Abby lived. I think she married Brad at some point?

Edited by DorianGray
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

That was one of those long, intricately drawn out classic Bill Bell stories.  She was married to a rich older man who hired Paul for something. My memory is fuzzy on the details.  But I remember she and Paul became involved, then her husband died mysteriously and she was a suspect.  I think Paul tried to prove her innocence, but he became a suspect, too.  Cassandra was married to Brad when she died, so he inherited her house and all of her money.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 9
On 3/25/2020 at 7:20 PM, Snaporaz said:

Cassandra was married to Brad when she died, so he inherited her house and all of her money.  

Is that how Brad became wealthy? I know he was a big shot exec by the time I became old enough to pay attention to this show but he started out as the Abbotts' (or Fenmores...?) pool boy who wasn't particularly ambitious.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

The were some other poolside Y&R clips on YT. The company Sony hired to copyright claim their property ended up copyright claiming a lot of Y&R stuff and even more from Days. This one seems to have survived over the years though.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
18 hours ago, Jaded said:

The were some other poolside Y&R clips on YT. The company Sony hired to copyright claim their property ended up copyright claiming a lot of Y&R stuff and even more from Days. This one seems to have survived over the years though.

As hot as DD looks here, man is it nothing to how he looks now! He is, as the young kids say, "thicc" these days!

I dunno how Lauren's hairstyles today look more dated than this one here! 

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
19 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

Can you imagine her getting down with Pricktor like this?

That, I think, would be even beyond Anne Shirley's imagination 😅

But it begs the question about how the hell those two ever got together in the first place. The clips I find of Nikki before Victor show such a free spirited woman but even at his most tolerable, Victor seems like a stick in the mud.

Of all the supercouples in soapdom, Nictor's appeal is the most puzzling.

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
(edited)

For a professional "dancer" she really didn't so much dance, she just walked around.

Having to keep her clothes on probably threw her dance game off...especially once the jacket came off.

Edited by Hiyo
  • LOL 9
4 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

Having to keep her clothes on probably threw her dance game off...especially once the jacket came off.

Right. Her "moves" consist of taking off various articles of clothing and throwing them about.

• LOL 8
  • Love 2

Now, now. She also awkwardly thrust her ass from side to side, once or twice, with no discernible sense of rhythm, and stuck her arms straight up in the air a few times. Oh, and then she clumsily bent way down in her lingerie, and stood back up again. All the very best and most seductive dance moves, folks. 

• LOL 15
3 hours ago, PSG said:

Now, now. She also awkwardly thrust her ass from side to side, once or twice, with no discernible sense of rhythm, and stuck her arms straight up in the air a few times. Oh, and then she clumsily bent way down in her lingerie, and stood back up again. All the very best and most seductive dance moves, folks. 

My guess is if they danced the way actual strippers do, it wouldn't make it past the censors.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, PSG said:

Officially dead.  Perfection.  

• LOL 7
  • Love 1

The show really had a music element to it back in the day, no? Poor Philip and Nina, having their reception upstaged by Danny's music video (which needs to be seen and heard to be believed)...

• LOL 7
  • Love 2

Oh, my my my.

Today we got the famed "Victor brings makeup to Nikki in the hospital" scene. I've heard about it over the years, but I don't think I've ever actually viewed it. Lucky me!

1. Nikki is such a fucking priss.

2. They sell makeup at a "hospital store"?

3. I found the whole dynamic gross and creepy. 

4. Was this considered adorable and swoony back in the day?

• LOL 7
  • Love 4
(edited)

They sell makeup at a "hospital store"?

She may have brought her own make up kit from home or he sent someone to get it for her. I doubt very much Nikki wears drugstore grade make up.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
18 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

She may have brought her own make up kit from home or he sent someone to get it for her. I doubt very much Nikki wears drugstore grade make up.

You're right.  I bet she goes right for the Sherwin-Williams collection.  

Semi-gloss for evening.  Flat for Night.  High Gloss, nevah!

• LOL 8