Type keyword(s) to search

Retro Y&R: When the Restless Were Also Young

• Start Topic

A very early clip of Kay and Jill...and Jill's first time in the mausoleum! Still interesting to see. Also, funny to see Kay light up a cigarette!

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
21 hours ago, Camille said:

It was fall of 2002. Despite having cheated on Christine with Isabella, as well as gotten her pregnant and married her, Paul went to Christine's place to rail at her for getting engaged to Michael, ignoring the numerous times she told him to leave. At some point, he began kissing her, and although she initially responded, she pulled away and AGAIN, clearly told him that she wanted him to leave--in other words, "NO". He threw her onto the bed and the last thing we saw was him pinning her arms back in response to her trying to push him off of her. The next scene was of her lying in bed huddled under the covers while he was getting dressed and tearfully apologizing.

The writers tried to present it as ambiguous, but Paul himself declared to his brother  "I raped her".

I never understood how it was resolved, but as always, it fell to the woman to absolve the man of his actions.

Jeez...well, at least they actually called it what it was and didn't excuse it. 

I'm assuming he came there to remind Cricket about what a dastardly demon Michael once was towards her, which makes this all the more ironic and horrid. Geez, was William Bell still running the show then? Who put this to air? 😡😑

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Anna Yolei said:

I'm assuming he came there to remind Cricket about what a dastardly demon Michael once was towards her, which makes this all the more ironic and horrid

Yes, the hypocrisy was mind-blowing. He cheats on her and has left her for the other woman, but heaven forbid SHE move on with her life, although he had a point about the sickness of her hooking up with Michael.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)

Although, I was always under the vague impression that Isabella had tricked him into that marriage or something. I only casually watched back then, but I remember the end of it when she went batshit. Was that a character rewrite just to be rid of her off the show?

Edited by Anna Yolei
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Anna Yolei said:

Although, I was always under the vague impression that Isabella had tricked him into that marriage or something

Somewhat. At some point during the affair, Isabella walked into MICHAEL's office and that's when the audience learned that the two of them were in cahoots to break up Paul and Christine's marriage. That said, even though Paul only married her because she was pregnant, I don't think that she did that to trap him. Paul was enraged to learn about hers and Michael's conspiracy and walked out on her, and that's when she went off the deep end.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
On 6/28/2020 at 12:51 AM, Camille said:

The writers tried to present it as ambiguous, but Paul himself declared to his brother  "I raped her".

Shows will never learn.  Even after they got grief from what happened with Malcolm and Dru.

• Love 6

Not an old storyline, but a bunch of the cast appearing on Phil Donahue's show in 1993. It was fun seeing the cast needle Kimberlin Brown when she was trying to be as diplomatic as possible when asked which show she preferred, Y&R or B&B...fun interview all around.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

Shows will never learn.  Even after they got grief from what happened with Malcolm and Dru.

And this is why the genre's been on life support for the last 15 years. 😐

• Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

No, they won't. Luke and Laura wasn't understandable even in the less politically correct late-70's/early-80's, so it was stunning to see Y&R play out something like this in 2002. Even worse, it wasn't the only show to have a storyline like this. Soap Opera Digest named "Romanticizing Rape" as the worst trend of the year, yet four years later, we get a vaguely similarly scenario on B&B with Brooke and Ridge.

Edited by Camille
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Camille said:

No, they won't. Luke and Laura wasn't understandable even in the less politically correct late-70's/early-80's, so it was stunning to see Y&R play out something like this in 2002. Even worse, it wasn't the only show to have a storyline like this. Soap Opera Digest named "Romanticizing Rape" as the worst trend of the year, yet four years later, we get a vaguely similarly scenario on B&B with Brooke and Ridge.

Could've also sworn somewhere between those two points, ATWT had a story about Jack Synder getting taken advantage of by Julia and Craig openly mocks him about what happened.

It didn't stop in the 2000s, though. Liam has been raped twice on that hot garbage ass B&B, the last time being just last summer by Steffy's psychotic brother slipping him molly so he'd have sex with her. Said brother had conceived a child under similarly suspect circumstances with his father's girlfriend back in 2015.

I hate this genre so very much for refusing to move on from this trope. I will put up with all the triangles and doppelgangers in the world to never see that ever again.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, Anna Yolei said:

Could've also sworn somewhere between those two points, ATWT had a story about Jack Synder getting taken advantage of by Julia and Craig openly mocks him about what happened.

It didn't stop in the 2000s, though. Liam has been raped twice on that hot garbage ass B&B, the last time being just last summer by Steffy's psychotic brother slipping him molly so he'd have sex with her. Said brother had conceived a child under similarly suspect circumstances with his father's girlfriend back in 2015.

Yes, the prevalence of Female On Male rape stories disgusts me also. Even if the guy eventually realizes that he was drugged or gotten drunk, he still doesn't see himself as an assault victim and still berates himself for having cheated on his wife/girlfriend. Right on this very show there was a recent example of this with Cane and Juliet.

The Jack/Julia story actually deserves a little bit of credit for how it was handled--there's never any question about what she did to him, Jack is genuinely shaken up and his fiancée never blames him for it. It's one of the few examples of this trope to be handled somewhat decently.

Edited by Camille
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4

I’m excited for this next week.  It’s as close to my “Teen Scene” theme week wish as I’m gonna get and I’m fine with that!  Bring on the pool parties and BBQ’s!

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

It’s August 2003. I don’t remember blonde-blonde Heather Tom. I have no memory of a Benjamin Watkins from the opening credits. Although, I do remember watching this episode where Isabella (spoiler alert) tries to kill Christine. I remember thinking I can’t believe they’re getting rid of this beautiful actress and we’ll never hear from her again. Boy! Was I wrong. LOL!!!!

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
(edited)

Kind of disappointing that they only go back as far as 1994...you’d think they’d kick things off with Victor and Nikki’s first wedding from the 1980s.

Edited by Hiyo
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Kind of disappointing that they only go back as far as 1994...you’d think they’d kick things off with Victor and Nikki’s first wedding from the 1980s.

I think they may have covered that during "romance" or "wedding" week.

I'm beginning to wish they would keep airing these vintage episodes and not bother resuming production.

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, Camille said:

I think they may have covered that during "romance" or "wedding" week.

I'm beginning to wish they would keep airing these vintage episodes and not bother resuming production.

If only they used some contained story lines. These one offs are driving me nuts.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, babyhouseman said:

They've already shown David Kimble, right? That was probably the biggest OMG moment. Colleen dying. Shelia shenanigans. Sperm stealing. The biggest OMG moment would be a scene where Victor's speech was understandable. 

(thick German accent)

"YOU GOT THAT!?"

That reminds me of an episode I was watching where the close captioning stated "Victor mumbles incoherently" and I thought "As opposed to. . .?"

Edited by Camille
  • LOL 8
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, pearlite said:

I for one will be really glad of new episodes, no matter how mediocre. Bathing in memory is not my thing.

It was a fun diversion for a while. Who wants to start a pool on which cast member tests positive for the 'Rona first?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

It was a fun diversion for a while. Who wants to start a pool on which cast member tests positive for the 'Rona first?

Actually, since I don't watch B&B, I'm wondering what shows will look like now?

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, pearlite said:

Actually, since I don't watch B&B, I'm wondering what shows will look like now?

It's a little weird.  The distance between characters is palpable, and the "intimacy" scenes are clumsy.  I think it would be less distracting if they would just acknowledge the pandemic within the show's universe.

I liked the retrospective, for the most part.  A few of the episode choices were odd.  The randomness of it all grew tiresome.  I often wanted to see the episode that followed the episode we just saw.  It seems to me that Kay Alden was the writer who came closest to Bill Bell's style.  Her episodes were pretty tight.         

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 8/2/2020 at 6:48 PM, babyhouseman said:

They've already shown David Kimble, right? That was probably the biggest OMG moment. Colleen dying. Shelia shenanigans. Sperm stealing. The biggest OMG moment would be a scene where Victor's speech was understandable. 

They showed his death but not the KILLER reveal which would have been a good one for this week.

• Love 4

When did Brenda Dickson leave the show, and why?

I know I read somewhere that she had some real life issues years later, but why would she have left Y and R? She was so good in that role.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Hiyo said:

A brief but fun scene:

Well, considering Billy and Victoria, yeah, I'd say Jill got her revenge.

On 5/15/2021 at 3:01 AM, bannana said:

When did Brenda Dickson leave the show, and why?

I know I read somewhere that she had some real life issues years later, but why would she have left Y and R? She was so good in that role.

She was the best Jill. She's my Jill.

• Love 3

Depending on who you ask, drinking problems and/or clashes with the producers.

Her last season on the show is interesting to watch. Supposedly, the producers really wanted her to camp it and be a daytime version of Dynasty's Alexis Carrington, and you can definitely see that being true. Some other sources say the actress wasn't a fan of that.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

The way she played Jill when she came back was so different than the way she played her the first time. Jill had gone through a lot during BD's time away from the role and I always loved that she acknowledged that and evolved Jill. I consider BD the first Jill and the third Jill.

• Love 2
(edited)

Up until her last year or so, I liked BD's return as well. Her Jill during her second run was a bit more mature and polished than when she originally played the role, which made sense, I suppose.

Technically, it would be the fourth Jill, if you count Bond Gideon's super-brief turn as Jill #2...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFeYLLgpqx8

Youtube won't allow that video to be embedded for some reason. The clip also features a pre-Jerry Douglas John Abbott. And, Nikki on her way to being involved with a cult, I believe...

Edited by Hiyo
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
43 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

Technically, it would be the fourth Jill, if you count Bond Gideon's super-brief turn as Jill #2...

Don't be mad at me, but I lump her and Deborah Adair together as the second Jill.

Thanx for the link. That was enjoyable.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

^^^The title of that video is "Y&R - Ashley finds out she was married to Blade’s twin brother (1995)." Isn't that basically the same thing that happened with Phyllis and Marco? Wow. I wonder if Ashley has ever commiserated with Phyllis about it. Amazing.

• Love 3

Remember back in the day when Victor and Jill were doing The Sex together?

Speaking of recasts...watching this scene of Brenda Epperson playing Ashley makes me go...'Eileen who?'

While it didn't make me go 'Eileen who?', it was definitely one of the better recasts on a soap.

• Love 2