Type keyword(s) to search

TFOL in the media

I saw it. You can tell Charlotte is loved. Kim and Lisa clearly came on to support Charlotte's promoting of her new book; I'm guessing Kim wouldn't have done it otherwise. Geri Jewell was on, as was Gloria Loring and Todd Bridges.

They even had video messages to Charlotte from George Clooney and Molly Ringwald. Charlotte must be a pretty awesome lady to have had this many former co-stars come out in support of her.

As much as I love this show, I’m so tired of these reboots. Are there NO original ideas left in Hollywood? Can’t they even just decide “hey, we loved The Facts of Life, so let’s make a really funny show about four clever teenage girls that takes all of what we loved about it, but isn’t a total rip-off”? No?

• Love 3

Surprisingly I wouldn't be upset about this. But only if they have a new cast of characters, and *not* four girls who have the exact personality of the original four. I think it'll be nice to see what's up with Eastland in the 2000's. 

Yeah, I'm a sucker for shows that focus on school and students.

• Love 1

RIP Mrs. G.

So in one year two staples of my childhood are gone - Harry Anderson and Charlotte Rae.  2018 is not a good year.

Someone wrap Betty White in bubble wrap or something.

• Love 5
On 8/4/2018 at 7:55 PM, Snow Apple said:

Surprisingly I wouldn't be upset about this. But only if they have a new cast of characters, and *not* four girls who have the exact personality of the original four. I think it'll be nice to see what's up with Eastland in the 2000's. 

Yeah, I'm a sucker for shows that focus on school and students.

I second this. As long as the new group isnt the old gang 2.0 Id love to see what issues the show tackles 30 years later.

• Love 2

Charlotte Rae’s character was always my favorite even as a child (Natalie was 2nd). Although I still watch the show for nostalgic reasons, it hasn’t held up too well over time, but I stayed a fan of Charlotte Rae. I don’t buy many biographies, but I think I’ll pick up hers. She just had one of those personalities, like Dolly Parton or Kelly Clarkson, that is just so sincere, likable, and bright. The world always feels a little darker and sadder when people like that are gone. Rest in peace. :(

• Love 2

It’s funny; for some reason, I think it has held up-and the one thing it did that other shows about girls which I haven’t seen is how the girls  on this show were portrayed with realistic bodies. Even though they were mocked and referred to as the “Fats of Life” I think someone mentioned here? Or maybe it was one of those “the real behind the scenes” shows? Not E!’s True Hollywood Story.

Anyhow, one of the things I appreciated was how none of them were all size zeroes. 

• Love 2

I don't think the show held up well at all. The Very Special Episodes always come off as so lame either because they weren't really allowed to delve too deep into the subject matter back then or because the legalities and moralities of the era ended up making the conclusion unsatisfying. And in general, I find the humor to be rather diluted.

26 minutes ago, 17wheatthins said:

I still lovedom wot the episodes and I still laugh a lot. I suppose much of it has to with the memories I’ve attached to the show and watching it with my sisters when we were all kids. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug. 

Eh? Did you mean you still love them and watch the episodes? ????

I get what you mean about the Very Special Episodes, @kariyaki-I find myself cringing and ?? at the superficiality at some of them; okay most, but it’s the friendship between Jo/Blair/Natalie/Tootie that I find holds up well. The support, the anger, the resentments, the talking it out, etc. The...realism of that aspect for me. And of course Mrs. Garrett.

Just now, Maverick said:

There was an E True Hollywood Story on TFOL and the criticism the girls received for their weight was a big topic. 

Thanks. I think I only remember that other show where they only interviewed the people behind the scenes that talked about what it was like. I think it was A&E that aired it? 

It was on E.  True Hollywood Story was what you're describing... interviews with people who were involved in the show. E did do some scripted movies based on behind the scenes drama of shows (I remember them doing one on Charlie's Angels) but I don't remember what it was called. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Maverick said:

It was on E.  True Hollywood Story was what you're describing... interviews with people who were involved in the show. E did do some scripted movies based on behind the scenes drama of shows (I remember them doing one on Charlie's Angels) but I don't remember what it was called. 

Right. I know that E!’s True Hollywood Story did this, But years later I think A&E did something similar. They did one on Laverne & Shirley and another show I’m blanking on. I recall thinking there was nothing new so why did they get the green light about doing this. Since E! has already covered it.

17 hours ago, Maverick said:

There was an E True Hollywood Story on TFOL and the criticism the girls received for their weight was a big topic. 

The comedians had a field day with their weight.  I remember Joan Rivers being especially cruel, but she was one of many.

• Love 1

Back in the day, I wondered what the heck those jokes were about. I didn't think they were heavy. Blair acted like she was beautiful so I saw her that way. Jo and Tootie were the same size as Blair so I thought they looked find too. 

It's sad the girls heard criticism back then even though they looked normal, but they're probably still glad the show happened before the internet to make their lives worse.

• Love 2

I always love how people think Blair dressed like a 30 something lady, but I think it fit with Blair's character to dress older than her age because she felt older/more mature than the other girls.  And I'm one of the few that loved Jo's hair in the final season when it was long and curly... best hair style she had through the shows run.

I do agree the show hasn't held up as well, but the show ended 30 years ago and a lot has changed in life.  Shows considered cutting edge now will look out of date in ten to twenty years so I enjoy watching older shows to see what the styles, attitudes, and manners were like.  It's a time capsule.

I just saw her Biography episode, which was likely run because of this announcement (they added the PS to the end of the episode). I hadn’t been very aware of her post-FOL career and I was impressed that she wanted to keep things fresh acting wise, but also stayed very level headed and focused on her young family. 

On 9/17/2018 at 2:18 AM, VCRTracking said:

Good luck to Nancy! I hope she does better than Lisa did on Survivor a while back.

cad94372-0802-4505-87f1-c14a4968e5d8.jpg

Lisa came in 2nd or 3rd on Survivor.. so Nancy would have to win to do better than Lisa :)

• Love 2
20 hours ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

Lisa came in 2nd or 3rd on Survivor.. so Nancy would have to win to do better than Lisa :)

There’s just no comparison between the two shows-it’s ? and ?. I’d say DWTS is a lot tougher. And with the exception from the still above, wardrobe or Val, continue to dress Nancy like an overweight frump.?? I know she won’t last long, but I wish she would.