Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E11: Wild at Heart

While Klaus finds himself dealing with pressing matters at home, Elijah reluctantly aligns with Aya after learning that she may have knowledge of an elusive weapon that could kill an Original vampire for good. Meanwhile, alone and shunned by her coven of witches, a desperate Davina is left conflicted after she is approached with an enticing offer that could bring her one step closer to reuniting with Kol.

Promo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz2DK1FUi6I

Kol! Loved seeing him back. That bar they were at looked like the Mystic Grill on TVD.

Hayley in the kitchen with Jackson's shirt made me tear up. Phoebe did great with Hayley's pain. (May be because she and Nathan Parsons were close it worked out better for the scene).  I really miss his grounding character around, especially with Cami gone crazy vampire too. There's nobody to be a reasonable voice or even put Hope first.

What ever happened to Hope's magic? She could stop a car to save from being blown up but couldn't save the step-daddy she adored?

Cami is a lot more interesting as a vampire.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I don't think Cami is crazy or manic or anything like that.  She comes across as coldly angry at Klaus to me.  I also think that all those tears and "emotional" moments were all for show and pure manipulation on her part.  That said, I don't believe she has gone "evil" but none of what she is now bodes at all well for Klaus and the rest of his family.

It's funny, all I could think when Klaus saw Cami just awalkin' off with The Horrible Weapon was that this shit would never fly in Mystic Falls. Which is funny because I mostly think of the TO gang as being a lot smarter than their Mystic Falls fellows. But seriously, talk about having a plan. Cami is obviously switched off in the humanity department, someone needs to come down to New Orleans and teach them the tried and true Ripper (And Various Other Family Crazies) Protocol: neck snap, vervain, dry them out, tear them down and then rebuild them. If Caroline were so inclined I bet she would write and sell a pamphlet on the subject.

As it is Cami is nothing more than a regular babyvamp who thinks she's so much more powerful than she is, and is only getting away with all she does because of the general fondness for her. Klaus could have taken her down any number of ways or used FRIKKIN' COMPULSION on her to keep her in line. But somehow they have all these considerations for her ~feelings~ that keep them from treating her like any other threat, even one who is loved. She's threatening them with exposure and horrible death and they do as little as possible about her. Cami is only a threat because they allow her to be. 

Called it last week that Cami would become the central threat in the prophecy.  All those dark objects she has, and now the weapon that can be used to kill the vamps.  I like Cami-without-humanity.  

Josh! I was happy to see Kol again, and for Davina to get such an interesting SL -- but Josh's return was the highlight of the episode for me.

The witches' storyline was something new and fun and sufficiently creepy. Though I don't have anything much to say about it yet.

Another pleasant surprise was that at least vamp!Cami is an improvement over her old sodden self. When she turned on the waterworks in order to manipulate Hayley, I had to fast forward, though. It reminded me too much of how she actually acted as a human.

But I still don't really buy her as a threat. And what is going on with Klaus? Can he get A LITTLE fiery again? I get that he likes her, and I get that he's mellowed since Hope was born. But she was being ridiculous, swaggering around like she's a hotshot. Like people said here -- just compel her or snap her neck or lock her up for a while!

And doesn't he find any of this genuinely upsetting? You'd think that Klaus would be a little more shaken/upset that Cami knows pretty much everything there is to know about him, and is ready and willing to spill all of it. I mean, I would be really upset about that, and freaking out, and basically blubbering to Elijah, and I'm nowhere near Klaus-levels of instability. He was so chill and passive the whole time. Bizarre.

I guess he can't get out of the "be gentle with Cami, she's a delicate little flower" mindset he's had up to now?

ETA: When Cami told Klaus that he's afraid that once he's not needed, he'll be tossed aside, it sounded insightful and devastating. But after giving it a little more thought, I think it was just bullshit/gobbledegook. Since when has Klaus been useful to anyone? He's a pretty constant hindrance iIrc.

• Love 1

I binge-watched the whole series over a course of the last week (hello, Netflix) and finally got to this episode.

I do agree that Cami as a vamp is more interesting than a human, but... It's just a faint improvement. She grates either way. And she behaves irrationally, even for this show, where consistency is a rare occurence. However, I'd love for her to be the big bad, because it'd mean she could finally die.

It'd be interesting if she was everything the prophecy talks about: friend to Klaus, foe to Elijah and family to Rebekah - all in one, combined. Who says the prophecy talks about three different people being the killers?

I liked the blonde witch that looked like Dakota Fanning, so of course she had to die. But what is the secret Elijah is so determined to keep? The red doors or something not yet revealed? Tristan's location?

I'm also probably one of the few people on the planet who like Hayley and ship her with Elijah, so there - I liked the final scene.

Also, happy to see Kol, but Davina is really getting herself over her head. Again.

• Love 3

The most important thing about this episode was Josh came back!!! Yes, that deserved multiple exclamation points!!!!

Davina can be a bit of a pill when he isn't around, so I love having him back. She actually reminds me a lot of New Vamp Cami - she walks around thinking she's hot shit and untouchable and very few people dare to disagree with her or put her in her place.

I get that Cami's attitude as a new vampire is different from most new vampires because not only has she known about vampires and the supernatural for a while, but she has been part of the Mikaelson clan and privy to their secrets. She doesn't just have knowledge of vampires and what they do (which a lot of vampires don't when they are initially turned), but she knows she has the protection of one of the powerful vampire families. On top of that, being Klaus's therapist for so long gives her so much power because he is the only one trying to slow her down and she knows exactly how to twist the knife with him.

ITA that Stefan, Damon, and Salvatore would just break Cami's neck, tie her up, vervain her, lecture her until she cried from boredom, and then keep her locked up somewhere (I guess the Lockwood cellar since the Salvatore house is currently occupied by lame Julian) until she quit being such a brat. That's like their M.O. whenever someone starts to annoy them. Nothing a good kidnapping and a little vervain can't fix!

I agree that Cami was faking her little crying scene with Hayley. She was eavesdropping on Elijah and Klaus, figured out she needed to get the horse and get the hell out of there, and she just wanted the fastest way for Hayley to leave her alone.

Heh, I was totally down with Cami compelling that lame dude bro to give the bartender a good tip and to turn his hat around. HA!

Usually Phoebe Tonkin is kind of lackluster as an actress for me. I think she puts 95% of her effort and concentration into her American accent which leaves very little for actual acting. The scene where she was crying with Jackson's shirt was really good (maybe because she didn't have to talk so she could put all of her effort into her acting).

Poor Ariana. She did what she was told to do and got killed by Elijah for her efforts. I was actually surprised that he let her go into his mind like that. He is a very private person but he also knows he can't trust Aya. Hopefully Aya didn't have Ariana tell her everything she saw (although Aya would have been stupid not to have Ariana give her the highlights as soon as Elijah left his mindreading bath). My biggest concern was that she would know where he hid Rebecca. But Ariana didn't seem particularly upset that Elijah was going to kill her and she even mentioned being released, so I wonder if she hated being a Strix Sister-Wife Witch and was ready to finally not have to work for them anymore.

• Love 1

Davina can be a bit of a pill when he isn't around, so I love having him back. She actually reminds me a lot of New Vamp Cami - she walks around thinking she's hot shit and untouchable and very few people dare to disagree with her or put her in her place.

I get that Cami's attitude as a new vampire is different from most new vampires because not only has she known about vampires

Poor Ariana. She did what she was told to do and got killed by Elijah for her efforts. I was actually surprised that he let her go into his mind like that. He is a very private person but he also knows he can't trust Aya. Hopefully Aya didn't have Ariana tell her everything she saw (although Aya would have been stupid not to have Ariana give her the highlights as soon as Elijah left his mindreading bath). My biggest concern was that she would know where he hid Rebecca. But Ariana didn't seem particularly upset that Elijah was going to kill her and she even mentioned being released, so I wonder if she hated being a Strix Sister-Wife Witch and was ready to finally not have to work for them anymore.

She did tell Davina that being a Strix Witch was worth it. I'm not sure what she got that made dying so young and violently worth it, though.

Cami's power is psychology. She knows she can get away with a lot because of Klaus' guilt over her being vamped because of his Aurora obsession. Ultimately, though, I think he likes Cami as a human being. It's too bad, because turning a character is a lazy way to add some plot. Cami had those dark objects for a year and did nothing with them.

Edited by ketose

She did tell Davina that being a Strix Witch was worth it. I'm not sure what she got that made dying so young and violently worth it, though.

Cami's power is psychology. She knows she can get away with a lot because of Klaus' guilt over her being vamped because of his Aurora obsession. Ultimately, though, I think he likes Cami as a human being. It's too bad, because turning a character is a lazy way to add some plot. Cami had those dark objects for a year and did nothing with them.

Well Ariana's last words were "I am released" so I'm guessing life as a Strix witch isn't all it's cracked up to be. Cami breaking Klaus' neck was the most ridiculous moment of the night. I really liked how Hayley told Cami to never speak about Jackson again. She said it with such menance!

So Cammy, who has been a Vampire for one hot minute, effortlessly snaps the neck of an Original who doesn't anticipate her move because he senses a change in her breath in or heart rate or whatever else they can sense? Alright then. Although for some reason I always thought their necks were harder to snap than ordinary Vamp necks. I do like the idea that she has an advantage through her extensive psychological knowledge of Klaus, though. Personally, I would have preferred a Vampire with a heart of Gold (without the Angst) over yet another petulant addition to the Vampire community, but I'll roll with it for now.

Davina's story looks interesting and I do hope they bring back Kol for real soon. He makes everything better.

How big is Rebecca's sire line? If the Horsey of Death is used on her, it seems like Cami and Aurora would be the only ones in trouble.

I think Klaus' wits were seriously dulled by his underestimation of Cami's darkness. I have a hard time believing that she was that adept at the old vampire neck snap when she's never done it before. Could this be the end of Klami?

I have to admit that Cami as the current baddie makes me feel better about this season, as the constant step aheadedness of the ancient 3 was getting tedious.

Campire is on my nerves.  I hate her and want her dead.  I don't think she was that good of a shrink (she hadn't even finished school yet) and the Michaelsons have all been there, done that - no way she gets the drop on them, EVER.  I think/hope what is happening is what Hayley pointed out to Klaus, the Cami that he knew - the REAL Cami is dead, this THING is something else.  I'd love it if they go in this direction because it would 1) reinforce that vampirism is a curse, not a cure.  2) It restores the tragedy in all the characters that we've seen be turned.  Their real selves are dead. and 3) I think this is going to be a set up for some new Klaus angst because the last thing Cami said to him in their sessions was that he doesn't experience the truth of death because he surrounds himself with immortals but when the day comes that he loses a human that he grew to love, he will experience real grief.  It would be so cool if they could show Klaus grieving Cami, even as Campire walks around annoying people.  JM is a good enough actor to pull this off.

I know a lot of people don't like PT as Hayley but I have realized that I really do think she is a good actress.  She has been truly selling me her grief over Jackson.  I was impressed at the visual restraint she showed when she gave Cami that warning.  In fact one of the most memorable scenes of the series for me was in Season 1 when she finally broke in front of Klaus and Elijah over her desperation and despair that her baby, having only been alive for a few days, was in so much mortal danger and that she'll never be able to give the child the happy childhood she deserves.  During that scene, some pesky ninja started cutting onions at my house.  Same thing when Jackson was killed.  Same last night in the kitchen.  As someone who has experienced real grief, I can confirm that that is how it looks. 

Liked the rest, though I wish they'd kill Aurora and put me out of my misery.  One thing that I miss in the show is the push/pull, love/hate, father/son relationship between Marcel and Klaus.  I always thought that this relationship gave a depth to the show and the character of Klaus.  Forget about the other Originals that he can't kill because they too are immortal and require special hardware to kill.  Forget random foes with cursed objects that keep Klaus at bay for a while.  I loved that Marcel's actions did everything to provoke Kray Klaus and that Marcel would be an easy kill for Klaus the Original.  I loved it because the only reason Klaus can't bring himself to dispatch Marcel is because underneath he loves him.  Marcel is his son.  I loved that the very first person he trusted Hope with was Marcel - his two kids.  I hope, that in the quest to find new storylines, the writers remember some of the wonderful things that are already part of the story and go back to them on occasion.

• Love 4

I, who was adamant on Cami not becoming a vampire, surprisingly liked it. I liked that she used everything she knew against Klaus against him.

And really, she explained most of what she was doing with that one line to will about finally having the power to not be the victim. She does have power now, and she's going to use it on everyone even if she knows better because it's a novel concept for the token human. And she did sort of carry on the conversation she had with Vincent last week about using her powers for justice: she wanted her family's stuff back, she made that redneck be nice to his waitress.

But Cami also has darkness in her, and this is well established. So her manipulating the hell out of everyone and stealing that horse to use against people that I daresay she considered her friends before her turn is also a nice follow-through. All in all, if this trend continues, it'll be a well-written arc. I have no doubt she'll end up being Cami 1.1, now with Chocolate Chips of Darkness mixed in, but I do believe Klamille is over for the season. 

Phoebe Tonkin has always been perfectly serviceable as an actress and last night was no different. Well done. 

Kolvina will never not be lame. Why would smug, snarky, psychopathic Kol care about this little girl? Why would Davina be so chill with what Kol is?

Edited by aslightjump
  • Love 1

I've said it before, but I think both Phoebe Tonkin and Leah Pipes are competent actresses that just happen to suffer in comparison from being on a show with an unusually talented cast. I didn't actively dislike the character of Cami; I just thought she served very little purpose other than being the token human, so I'm interested to see where they're going with her storyline.

I will never, ever tire of Elijah's supremely elegant brutality.

I'm a geek about such things, but I really liked the imagery of the Strix witch's blood spreading in the water followed by the cut to liquor filling up a glass. Well done, editing team.

• Love 2

I've always been fine with Phoebe Tonkin, but it's cool to see an actor mature in terms of range and subtlety. I think she did a fine job this episode. I'm sure that years of playing an American has made the accent much easier to deal with, and I've noticed that she has far fewer slips now than she did on TVD. Even pretty great actors like Damien Lewis and Hugh Laurie have a weird quality to their voice that isn't present when they use their natural accents. That said, she is so incredibly slim that I find some unintentional hilarity in scenes where she is holding her child. That giant infant bobblehead with 900 layers of blankets contrasted against her tiny frame just look funny to me.

Personally, I'm loving Campire. I think the actress is doing a fine job of selling Weak BabyVamp with psychological warfare powers. Is it believable that she can snap an Original's neck after being BabyVamp for two minutes? In my opinion, yes, because she is using Klaus' expectations of her character against him. She's certainly not physically strong enough, but what's physical strength when she can use the element of surprise? Now that she's broken Klaus' neck and callously fooled everyone in the family, though, she's tipped her hand and lost that element. The Michaelsons will be wary now. If she can continue to just physically manhandle the Originals I will cry foul, but she still has room to psychologically manipulate them even when they're wary.

Phoebe Tonkin was terrible on The Secret Circle and I still see some of her stilted/awkward line readings on The Originals, but her scene crying over Jackson's shirt was believable (although the snarky part of me was laughing because you know there are approximately 100 more flannel shirts lying around that apartment).

• Hugs 1
  • Love 4

(firstly, hello ElectricBoogaloo. I remember you well from the Lost forums on TWoP, nice to see you modding here.)

I’m one of those who loves Cami and therefore the Klaus/Cami pairing. I know that happily-ever-afters can’t occur too soon in a show’s run because would then be no story left to tell, so I shouldn’t have been surprised when Klaus and Cami had their first kiss and then everything went to hell immediately afterwards. But it’s still painful to watch.  Along with Hope, Cami had been a light in Klaus’ near-perpetual darkness and the violence and mistrust that surrounds him (much of it, admittedly, of his own making).  It’s really sad to see that light dimmed and the bond they’d built up virtually shattered overnight. I really hope it gets rebuilt as Cami gets back to something closer to her old self.

On a lighter note, why are newborn vamps always so horrible in the TVD mythology? I understand the craving for blood, the instability, and the struggle to handle one's heightened emotions and senses. But if vampirism is supposed to magnify a person’s existing personality traits, why don’t the positive ones, like compassion and kindness, also get enhanced? Just about every baby vamp I can think of in the TVD-verse has been a self-centred, spiteful, obnoxious, havoc-wreaking pain in everyone’s ass.

-Lucien has been absent a couple of weeks now, perhaps he’s perfecting his nostril-flaring sneer in a mirror somewhere.

-I find Marcel really dull. If there's one character I wouldn't miss at all, it's him. Also don't like Aya, she is far too pleased with herself. 

-I've also disliked Hayley since her first TVD appearance, but I felt for her tonight and though Phoebe gave a more than competent performance.

-NATE IS BACK! I hope it’s not a one-off. It was brilliant to see the ‘real’ Kol again.  I think he and Davina have great chemistry, even if it is yet another example of the centuries-old-immortal/supernatural-falling-for-a-teenage-girl trope.

• Love 2

I hold the unpopular opinion of loving Cami and having done so since her very first appearance. I was mighty glad she didn't die but I was unhappy that they turned her into a vampire. I think what ruined TVD was having every character be a vampire or something not human and I didn't want to see the same thing happen here. However, I think this story is interesting so far but time will tell if this was a good move or not.

I would like to see Aya have more to do, they should put her with Elijah more. She sparks off of him.

I've never cared for Haley much but I think PT is really selling her grief over Jackson. I really hope they don't hook her and Elijah up again.

What was up with the blond witch? She was just starting to get interesting and then BOOM, dead.

JOSH! He makes Davina more tolerable, I really want to see more of him than we do. Also hope Kol comes back he makes everything more fun.

Lucien has been absent a couple of weeks now, perhaps he’s perfecting his nostril-flaring sneer in a mirror somewhere.

Hee! I hope he ends up in the same place as Tristan.

• Love 1

(firstly, hello ElectricBoogaloo. I remember you well from the Lost forums on TWoP, nice to see you modding here.)

I’m one of those who loves Cami and therefore the Klaus/Cami pairing. I know that happily-ever-afters can’t occur too soon in a show’s run because would then be no story left to tell, so I shouldn’t have been surprised when Klaus and Cami had their first kiss and then everything went to hell immediately afterwards. But it’s still painful to watch. Along with Hope, Cami had been a light in Klaus’ near-perpetual darkness and the violence and mistrust that surrounds him (much of it, admittedly, of his own making). It’s really sad to see that light dimmed and the bond they’d built up virtually shattered overnight. I really hope it gets rebuilt as Cami gets back to something closer to her old self.

On a lighter note, why are newborn vamps always so horrible in the TVD mythology? I understand the craving for blood, the instability, and the struggle to handle one's heightened emotions and senses. But if vampirism is supposed to magnify a person’s existing personality traits, why don’t the positive ones, like compassion and kindness, also get enhanced? Just about every baby vamp I can think of in the TVD-verse has been a self-centred, spiteful, obnoxious, havoc-wreaking pain in everyone’s ass.

-NATE IS BACK! I hope it’s not a one-off. It was brilliant to see the ‘real’ Kol again. I think he and Davina have great chemistry, even if it is yet another example of the centuries-old-immortal/supernatural-falling-for-a-teenage-girl trope.

Caroline and Elena as baby vamps were pretty tame. So was Damon. I think the main problem with newly turned vampires is that they're dealing with a raging bloodlust that goes deeper than any emotion and because of their heightened emotions, their human-level impulse control is unable to help them control themselves. And keep in mind a lot of new vampires are probably high on their new strength, speed, and senses like we see with Lucien and Camille. They probably overestimate their power in relation to other supernatural creatures and vampire hunters and get themselves killed. I'm not surprised Stefan said that most vampires don't survive their first year.

I found the Davina-Kol reunion a little weird because of the obvious large age difference between the actors.

Still can't stand Campire although I can see how she's using what she knows about the Originals, especially Klaus, against them. I can only hope that she goes the way of other Big Bads and eventually gets taken out for good, and that the Originals stop treating her with kid gloves since she quickly proved how dangerous she is to them. 

And YES, the return of Kol! I was wondering if Davina would even continue to like-like him since he doesn't resemble the Kol she knows. Still don't like when an ancient creature falls in lurve with a teenager tho. I still feel for Josh, lost his boyfriend, only contacted by Davina when she needs something, I really hope his going to Marcel doesn't end up with him being staked. 

I will never, ever tire of Elijah's supremely elegant brutality.

I know, right? The man makes everything he does look so suave. 

• Love 2

I think Phoebe has improved a lot over the years and I thought her grief has been excellent work.  However, I can still tell that she really doesn't feel comfortable around babies.  A lot of the time it looks like she just doesn't know how to hold the babies playing Hope.  In a season or two, it won't be a problem as Hope will be walking and such, but for now, it's just really awkward to watch.  

• Love 1

I hate OG Kol's little rat face, and I'm sorry Plec I'm not rooting for Daviina to be reunited with that Face. I mean I was just barely able to overlook how much older Sharman was, but they were so blindingly pretty together, and had so much chemistry I was crazy about Kolvina, but NOW with him? NO.

I FF everything Cami/Klaus. I can't believe Haley has been not only my favorite part of this episode, but my favorite storyline this season. It has been a weird and disappointing one overall. Everytime they do something great, they either take it away, or ruin it.

It was really great to see Josh and I did like the wrinkle about Strix having a coven who can thrown down.

Edited by blixie

There's one actor who looks quite natural with the baby - the guy who plays Elijah. I find it funny that neither actor playing the actual parents of that child look that comfortable with her. 

I am still making my way through the second season (right now Klaus' batty mother is on my last nerve, as is that special show flake Davina) while following along with this third - which makes for a rather peculiar viewing experience at times.

I actually stopped watching this show at the end of S1 because I felt they didn't have enough of the Originals. I was told things got better in S2 and 3 so I binged watched. It has been better. I am glad I gave it a chance again.

I don't care for Cami. Human,Vampire it makes no difference to me.

Wet Elijah is always a welcome sight. Even the way he kills is so smooth.

I am happy Original Kol is back. I liked Daniel enough but I would also miss Nathaniel. I like Kolvina. Yes the age difference is something but at least she doesn't look like his sister or a doppelganger. I thought it said alot that he didn't want her to get involved with the Strix even though it would help him live again.

• Love 2