Type keyword(s) to search

Beachfront Bargain Hunt - General Discussion

• Start Topic

11 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

Wow, a doctor who was watching BBH saw a girl's lump on her throat, worried it might be trouble (it was) and eventually got word to her via FB to have it checked.  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5808005/Doctor-saves-contestants-life-spotting-thyroid-cancer-symptoms-watching-reality-TV.html

I saw that on a newsfeed today. Same thing happened to Tarek on Flip or Flop - the medical professional contacted HGTV.

• Love 5
On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 11:17 PM, LittleIggy said:

That condo in Jacksonville was gorgeous after the renovation. Great job!

They really did a great job with the space they had. It was a basic 2/2 condo but they were able to make it look so much brighter and appear bigger. The couple was nice. Although, the wife was a Aly Raisman doppelganger if I ever saw one.

• Love 2

I missed the very beginning, but later I heard the husband say he would “stick to preaching.” So this guy is a minister? How could he afford a luxury vacation home like that? Must be one of those mega church preachers. The place turned out gorgeous, but WWJD?

• Love 2

I have that same thought every time we see a (wo)man of the cloth buying an expensive house.  I would question where my tithe/offering was going.  Although, if the church provides them with a house and the spouse works, I guess with years of savings I could see it.   

Anyone know what kind of retirement pay ministers might receive?  Social Security?

• Love 1

I just watched an episode with a father and daughter looking at homes in Cabo San Lucas in Beach Front Bargains. That girl was sure savvy for an 18-year-old! She was more knowledgeable about real estate than 90% of the people I see on this show!

On 7/1/2018 at 8:40 PM, ForReal said:

I just watched an episode with a father and daughter looking at homes in Cabo San Lucas in Beach Front Bargains. That girl was sure savvy for an 18-year-old! She was more knowledgeable about real estate than 90% of the people I see on this show!

Or maybe she's watched HH for years and she was given a pretty complete script of everything to say.  Yeah, I'm cynical.  :)

• Love 3

Where in the name of all this is holy did they get such pleasant people on all of the Beach Hunters episodes tonight? 

No fighting, no bitching, no moaning, lots of positive remarks about nearly everything.  Even when things were really funky there were no dramatic remarks.  It was a very enjoyable couple of hours of viewing!  Why can't it always be this nice?

• Love 7
(edited)

Pawleys Island BBH Reno last night.  Their “work” on the condo was totally producer driven.  The contractor was probably happier when they were gone so he and his crew could work. Also, I couldn’t believe that they tiled that huge shower, then tore it all out when they discovered that they didn’t like it. Aren’t there simulation programs that show you how things will look in your space?  I also noticed she got wildly creative in that kitchen with white cabinet, white counters, and white subway tile. 

Edited by irisheyes
Because mixing up their & there is a pet peeve. ?
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

The reno looked great afterwards though. The master shower was huge. I’ve never seen one so big in a condo. The removal of the cabinets really opened the kitchen & view up. They seemed to have enough cabinets so I don’t think they’re going to miss them. They didn’t go over budget too much. I even liked the coffee bar with the shiplap. The shiplap idea has been done to death but it did look good there in a small space. 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Grey and white have been done to death!

I know.  I had planned to use it for a long time, but, I've had delays in starting my renovation and now.....I've changed my mind.  I'm going with some warm colors.  

I don't get how the couple is talking about how they are just looking for a beach house for themselves.  No need to worry about anyone, but themselves....THEN, they start looking and they have to have something large enough for guests. WHAT? 

• Love 3

My personal guess is that many of the vacation house hunters, in the U.S., and overseas, are actually buying to permanently rent out.    They want a place large enough for guests, and with a huge pool, and other amenities because that will be attractive to renters.    The biggest money maker is the rental program run by the resorts, so you notice a lot of the hunters are asking about rentals, and limits on it (if you have to have month by month or longer only, limiting the rental possibilities), so they can make the most money.      The best return is week by week rentals in most vacation locations.      That's also why a hunter with a lot of kids is happy to buy a one bedroom, with lots of amenities, so it rents well.   My guess is that the scene of the people at the house or condo at the end of the show is the only time they'll actually be there.   

• Love 3

The first new show this evening with the mother and daughter looking in FL?.  My husband and I were laughing when the Realtor said that the 1st house was a 3 minute walk to the beach, but even closer by golf cart. Um, just no. Faster yes, closer no.

• Love 6

I always wonder, watching this show, if these people consider hurricanes when they're enjoying the view. I've seen so many of these beach front house hunt shows taking place in the Carolinas.  They would have a great view of hurricane Florence coming in if they haven't already been evacuated. Hope they've got good hurricane insurance. They're in the bull's eye for the storm surges.

• Love 7

I've seen a few people talking about wanting homes that are elevated on concrete stilts, and wanting concrete construction rather than the flimsy wood and siding most of them are built with.  But only a few people.  And none of them ever mention how difficult it might be to get insurance and how expensive flood or hurricane insurance would be.  I am always shocked by that because it is very, very clear that some of these places are new builds due to the old communities being wiped out by a hurricane, especially when they are shiny new homes on the Gulf Coast.

• Love 6

As a Long Islander (NY), I was excited to see last night's episode featuring a young couple with a baby and St. Bernard dog, house hunting on the North Fork of Long Island. They had a smallish budget for the area.   They chose the home I would have chosen; it was the largest, on an acre of land and needed the most work.  It was also the cheapest of the 3, priced at 439K, I believe.  The couple said the sellers had drastically reduced the price ( well below the original asking price of 439K)  but did not mention by how much. They said the reduced price caused a bidding war but the sellers liked that a young couple with a baby wanted to buy their home and sold it to them for like 389K. I could be off by the numbers but I know it was under $400,000. I was shocked b/c I figured even with the very reduced sale price, the bidding war would have jacked the winning bid much higher.  The home seemed to be in very good condition but was just very, very outdated. In time, they could renovate to their taste and budget but it was definitely 'livable ' for now and the couple seemed very happy to be thisclose to the ocean.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

As a Long Islander (NY), I was excited to see last night's episode featuring a young couple with a baby and St. Bernard dog, house hunting on the North Fork of Long Island. They had a smallish budget for the area.   They chose the home I would have chosen; it was the largest, on an acre of land and needed the most work.  It was also the cheapest of the 3, priced at 439K, I believe.  The couple said the sellers had drastically reduced the price ( well below the original asking price of 439K)  but did not mention by how much. They said the reduced price caused a bidding war but the sellers liked that a young couple with a baby wanted to buy their home and sold it to them for like 389K. I could be off by the numbers but I know it was under $400,000. I was shocked b/c I figured even with the very reduced sale price, the bidding war would have jacked the winning bid much higher.  The home seemed to be in very good condition but was just very, very outdated. In time, they could renovate to their taste and budget but it was definitely 'livable ' for now and the couple seemed very happy to be thisclose to the ocean.

I'm a Long Islander too, so I really enjoyed this too. I remember her saying she worked at a winery, and I wonder which one because she looked vaguely familar. I think the first house was the best choice for them. I think she wanted to be close to her mother too.

On 9/13/2018 at 1:20 PM, Skycatcher said:

I always wonder, watching this show, if these people consider hurricanes when they're enjoying the view. I've seen so many of these beach front house hunt shows taking place in the Carolinas.  They would have a great view of hurricane Florence coming in if they haven't already been evacuated. Hope they've got good hurricane insurance. They're in the bull's eye for the storm surges.

I wonder this too and not just with the Carolina, Texas, Georgia etc episodes but the ones in the Caribbean too.

• Love 2

What irritates me about this series and others like it, are the couples that absolutely insist on double sinks in the bathroom.  Are their schedules that tight that they absolutely cannot take turns getting ready in the morning?  I personally prefer to have privacy while showering, shaving and everything else I do in the bathroom.  Also, so many on this show want view, view, view and more view.  The house will have the most breathtaking, picturesque view in the world from the living room and kitchen, but if the spacious master has a wooded or garden view, it's a no-go.    They also have a tendency to fib about neighboring homes in this series.  I can't recall the exact episode, but there was one house where they claimed a few times that it was so far from neighbors and had tons of privacy but they missed a split-second clip in editing which showed a VERY close home right next door.

• Love 7

Do any of these people look into anything like health care available in some of these little island nations?  As a former flight nurse, I think most people would be pretty shocked at how few services are available and how expensive it is to be transported out to an appropriate facility. 

Many of the house hunters are not young;  that seems to me something you should be looking at as much as "proximity to the beach".

• Love 9

I think the double sinks, and huge counter tops in the bath are so both partners can leave their stuff on their side of the counter all of the time.     And it's also something for house hunters to ding the house on, whether they actually want the double sinks or not.

Good point about medical care.    I do know someone who wanted to have their destination wedding on one of the more remote Caribbean islands.    They had to change it to another island with better medical care available, and better transportation in case of emergency.    They had some family members they really wanted to have there, and their medical issues trumped the cute little venue they originally wanted.    I wonder how some islands have recovered from the Hurricanes also.  

• Love 3

At least she didn't say she's worried about the island flipping over.    That's been said about a few big islands, and I'm waiting for the day it happens on this show.     I love Dauphin Island, and if I had a ton of money, I'd buy a place there.   I loved seeing the houses, and the island. 

• Love 2

I had ovarian cancer in 1995, which resulted in a complete hysterectomy followed by chemotherapy. I met with the doctor who was overseeing the chemo on my first day back to work. When we finished, he asked if I had enough time to meet with the nurses who would be doing the chemo. I told him since my diagnosis, I had a whole new perspective on time. He smiled and told me a story from Jewish text about a civilization that found and lived on an island for over 5 generations. One day the island began to rumble and turned over because it turned out they had been living on the back of a big fish, and they all perished. He told me we all live on the back of a big fish. That story has always stuck with me. 

• Love 9
On 9/13/2018 at 1:20 PM, Skycatcher said:

I am late to this thread as I never knew there was one for this show, lol.  I watch every new episode, and I, too, always think of the hurricanes when watching this show.  I think how nice it would be to have a beach house, until a hurricane comes and some areas are constantly rebuilding.  

My only other issue with this show is that so many of the people claim they are buying the house so their family has a place to go, but then they also want a rental.  You can't realistically do both--in other words--if you are renting it out on the regular you aren't going to get much use out of it.  Plus at that point it is more like staying at someone else's house as you are sharing your home with a bunch of strangers.  At that point, I would have no interest in buying a home/paying for the upkeep to then not fully enjoy my home knowing that who knows what went on there.  For me it is either a rental for investment or you have the home solely for your family to use as a real home.

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, alexa said:

My only other issue with this show is that so many of the people claim they are buying the house so their family has a place to go, but then they also want a rental.  You can't realistically do both

The only way it could work is if you do an AirBNB type renting system, so that you could block out the dates you are planning to be there.   I often wonder if that's what they are planning but they can't say it on the show.  

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

The only way it could work is if you do an AirBNB type renting system, so that you could block out the dates you are planning to be there.   I often wonder if that's what they are planning but they can't say it on the show.  

I agree.  I think that too.  Because many of them want to get the rental income at the highest point of the year, which means they basically will not be using it much.

But even if you are blocking out your dates, I still think at that point it is just an investment because it really isn't your home at that point (you might as well stay at someone else's house and not have to do all of the work to keep up the home for renters).  lol

• Love 4

I think the only time most of the BBHReno people are in the beach house, or condo is for the filming.    I think most of them are just for renting out.   I don't know the rules now, but it used to be you couldn't rent to relatives, or anyone else below market rate (or it wouldn't be a business), and you could only use it for two week total yourself.      The ones in Maryland that had a great home already, but wanted a place right on the beach that wasn't even an hour from their current house were obviously just buying for an investment rental.     

(I had an acquaintance who had a bunch of rental houses, and a huge beach condo, and since she operated as a rental business she could only stay there a limited time.     However, it was a long time ago, and the rules may have changed a lot since too.   The amusing thing is only the Ocean City condo was something she bought, the others were all from her failed marriages, and there were at least five.)  

When the only thing the house hunters talk about are amenities, and the number of people that can be crammed into a house or condo, and keep asking about rental income, and short term rentals, then in my mind they are investors who will never live there.     There's nothing wrong with that, so I don't know why the reno. shows don't show how to select an investment property.  

I figure that when they buy a one bedroom at the beach, but have a bunch of family members, that it's only an investment.  Nothing's wrong with that, but I think lots of people would watch a BBH Reno on buying and renovating an investment.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

and you could only use it for two week total yourself. 

That rule was for people who wanted to deduct the depreciation cost of owning a rental property on income taxes. If you're not doing that, lots of folks use rental I income to help pay for the mortgage. Makes sense to me.

Condos have their own set of rules on rentals. I think with a single family home not in an HOA community, you can probably rent as you want, use it for yourself as you want.

• Love 2

I remember that renovation in Maryland. That was a real head scratcher. I'm very familiar with the area - we keep our sailboat at a marina 5 miles from there. The beach they were sitting on was in North Beach, and is a fairly small beach. You used to have to pay for access. North Beach itself is a small town on the Chesapeake Bay. I think the house they bought was in Chesapeake Beach, another small town just south of North Beach. It has no public access beach, but does have a waterpark. If they thought they were going to get short term rentals, they're sorely mistaken. Neither of those towns is a destination. They have some shops and restaurants, but that's it. I suspect they bought as a permanent rental or a flip to sell.

• Love 2

Cute father daughter & a big Dalmatian buying a condo in Myrtle Beach. I don’t know if he was divorced or widowed. The daughter went on the hunts with the father but wasn’t annoying. He had a very small budget for this show at $115,000. He was hoping for a 2/2 but could only afford a one bedroom/one bath. Most had a Murphy bed. In theory, it works now but when she’s 16 it might be a different story. In the end, he spent "only" $78,000 for a condo a block from the beach. I guess for that price it was hard to pass up. 

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Cute father daughter & a big Dalmatian buying a condo in Myrtle Beach. I don’t know if he was divorced or widowed. The daughter went on the hunts with the father but wasn’t annoying. He had a very small budget for this show at $115,000. He was hoping for a 2/2 but could only afford a one bedroom/one bath. Most had a Murphy bed. In theory, it works now but when she’s 16 it might be a different story. In the end, he spent on $78,000 for a condo a block from the beach. I guess for that price it was hard to pass up. 

That was kind of a nice episode.  It also gave me a better idea about why some people might like Myrtle Beach.  I went to that area briefly for half a day and was baffled by why anyone would want to go there, lol, but seeing how they liked all of those other activities, it made more sense.  The daughter was very sweet and mature for her age, which was refreshing.  In the end, they chose well, I think, esp for the price as you stated.

• Love 1
On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 10:12 AM, alexa said:

That was kind of a nice episode.  It also gave me a better idea about why some people might like Myrtle Beach.  I went to that area briefly for half a day and was baffled by why anyone would want to go there, lol, but seeing how they liked all of those other activities, it made more sense.  The daughter was very sweet and mature for her age, which was refreshing.  In the end, they chose well, I think, esp for the price as you stated.

My best friend & I used to go to the Cherry Grove beach section of North Myrtle Beach every fall.  That particular area was quieter (except during bike week) and had a less populated beach, but still had access to the activities, restaurants, etc. of Myrtle Beach itself.  It was the best of both worlds really, since we could avoid the noise and crowds of Myrtle Beach proper at night, but still could do things there when we wanted.  Plus, if you like mini-golf, MB is the mini-golf capital of the world.

• Love 1

This is off topic, but has anyone seen the new dream home?  Is it just me or is that house basically on a flood plain?  I mean the marsh is steps away from the house.  I would feel concerned about the stability of the home based on the ground it is built on as well as flooding and constant moisture issues.

12 minutes ago, alexa said:

This is off topic, but has anyone seen the new dream home?  Is it just me or is that house basically on a flood plain?  I mean the marsh is steps away from the house.  I would feel concerned about the stability of the home based on the ground it is built on as well as flooding and constant moisture issues.

I haven't seen the episode, but they wouldn't have been able to get a building permit if there were ground stability issues. Marshes are a fairly good protection against flooding.

• Love 1

Has anyone noticed they have been occasionally airing new episodes but not in primetime?  I keep getting new episodes on my dvr but it isn’t on Sunday nights.  I wonder why they moved it since it has typically been on Sunday nights.

9 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I've noticed it's not on Sunday nights - I miss it.

I was looking at the HGTV website or maybe it was on the google search, but I think it said Mondays at 12:00 noon?  Weird.  I could be wrong, but my dvr does say it was taped a day ago.  I think online they let you watch episodes to catch up--- it appeared that way on the hgtv website.  It appears we are on season 26 from what has been coming up on the dvr, so they have a list of those episodes on their website.  They are not in order by how they have been airing, there is some skipping around. 

• Love 1
On 1/28/2016 at 7:06 PM, NYGirl said:

I saw about 3 or 4 Beachfronts this evening, including the most annoying couple ever to grace HGTV shows!!  Ocean City Maryland.  Boy they thought they were auditioning for their own show with their stupid quips and wall to wall smiles and perkiness.  If I was their agent I'd have knocked her in the water for sure.

I just watched this one and you are right, they were awful!

• Love 1
(edited)

They're having a marathon of BBHR today, on DIY, and some are so funny.    The Hampton, VA renovation is so funny.   They are at least 20% over budget, then have to get new windows, and pay for the installation, rip out a partial wall in the kitchen to move the stove a few feet, but leaving the wall in place and moving the stove would have saved thousands.     Then the wife demands marble counter tops in the kitchen, and it's a big kitchen, putting them thousands more over budget.      She could have had very authentic looking quartz, and never had to worry about stains or damage to the counter tops.      The quartz now has a pattern that looks like marble or granite, it's not the same pattern over and over, and the new patterns look like natural stone.     

I had to laugh when they kept finding damage from being on the water, in an older house.  Why was this a surprise? 

The Hampton house was chock full of unnecessary changes that improved nothing, and were just a waste of time and money.    The bathroom redo was hideous, the siding and outer paint change was useless, and not needed, and the woman's taste always went with trendy, and expensive.   I bet within five years they have to redo everything that she demanded they had to do immediately.    If this is the usual BBHR, then I bet it will be rented a lot of the time, and things like the marble counter tops in the kitchen will be trashed, and stained.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
On 9/3/2017 at 4:10 PM, izabella said:

I just watched the latest Beachfront Bargain Renovation in Hampton, VA, and I almost turned it off when the wife decided to waste all kinds of time and money to paint the exterior brick on the entire house all white, and take down the stucco on the top to replace it with white siding.  There was nothing wrong with either the brick except it wasn't white, nor was there anything wrong with the stucco, except it didn't "feel coastal." Congrats, lady, you now have an ugly white elephant and a lifetime of repainting that brick over and over. 

I knew I would hate her when she toured one of the houses they didn't buy and she wanted to rip out the large, beautiful screened porch for no reason since there was plenty of outdoor space and unscreened deck space.   I felt some satisfaction that her master bath re-do left her with a small, narrow, awkwardly shaped shower.  She should have given more thought to that layout instead of to painting the exterior of the house, so I'm happy she'll be bumping her elbows every time she washes her hair.

Oh my gosh, she was annoying, (with questionable taste for sure). And she wanted to tear out the kitchen in the older home. It seemed like she thought she was auditioning for her own show. I didn't like the end result either. 

• Love 3

The one this morning of the minister, wife (Miss Jennifer), the son, and the daughter was boring.    They didn't need a designer for anything, but I guess one comes with the show.    The son looked thrilled at the second bedroom upstairs, then it turned out it was for his sister.    The older son always had matching shirts with dad.      It was nice they put an enclosed outdoor shower under the raised foundation, but they also put a toilet down there, next to the shower.   The shower walls had plenty of space between, so the toilet was less than private.    The bunkbeds for the younger kids were under the roof slope, so the lower bunk was fine, but the upper had no room, and there are going to be lots of bumped heads from that.        

All of the participants have such grandiose plans, and the budgets never match up.   They almost all have questionable taste too.    If they actually have a decorator/designer to help, then why don't they use them, and end up with a more cohesive look?  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2