Type keyword(s) to search

Reel to Real: Backstage, Twitter, & All Media Dram-ugh

• Start Topic

Re Eileen and the RH, aren't most if not all so-called reality shows mostly scripted or at least heavily manipulated by the showrunners and the networks? I figured she was doing it mainly as a fallback in case she loses her soap gig. Just about the only reality show I can stand to watch is Big Brother and that's mainly because of the forum discussions about it. It's clear that probably 80% of what happens on BB is phony AF.  (I always want to see Julie Chen's outfits though.)

I haven't minded JH as Adam. He stepped into one of the most difficult recasts in recent memory and made it work, I think. And as far as not being as dark as the previous Adam, I'd put the blame for that on JFP and the writers. They apparently didn't want Adam to be the soap version of Walter White or Don Draper--at least not as much as Adam's previous portrayer seemingly did.

• Love 5

Sounds like doing a reality show hasn't been a good look for ED. If she wanted a side gig I feel she could've done better than a trashy "Real Housewives" show. The only reason people watch those types of shows is to laugh at the people making a fool of themselves for public consumption. 

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I haven't minded JH as Adam. He stepped into one of the most difficult recasts in recent memory and made it work, I think. And as far as not being as dark as the previous Adam, I'd put the blame for that on JFP and the writers. They apparently didn't want Adam to be the soap version of Walter White or Don Draper--at least not as much as Adam's previous portrayer seemingly did.

I agree. I really liked MM in the role (I liked CE too) and he was very popular as Adam. I didn't have much hope for a recast until I heard JH had been given the part. I thought he was a great choice and I felt he did a did a very good job with a difficult recast. Unfortunately for JH (and the audience), after a few months the IIC decided to neuter Adam and take away all the personality traits and behaviors that made him Adam Newman. Then they stuck him in a horrible storyline which basically consisted of him listening to Chelsea say "You lied to me, get out! No, I love you, come back". Same conversation over and over. For months.  I don't know how any actor could overcome that kind of crap writing. I'm still disappointed that JH was never allowed to play a really snarky, smart, take charge Adam. He would have nailed it.

Hopefully his new show will give him better material.

• Love 10

LOL, I checked a few other soap boards and people are already calling for TPTB to bring back MM to resume the role. I swear, I will never say another negative word about Y&R again if that happens...and I'm feeling pretty safe because I know IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN! It appears to me that his version of Adam's personality has now been transferred to Billy so he'd be redundant at best.

• Love 5

I don't do twitter (or FB) so I'm curious, is this something new with Michael Logan? Being so critical of JT and this whole storyline. I wonder about the timing too. Maybe he knows that Pratt and Phelps are on the way out and now feels free to vent about what was done to the Chancellor Estate.

So what is the consensus on twitter and FB about the Philly hookup. Yay or Nay?

• Love 2

hen they stuck him in a horrible storyline which basically consisted of him listening to Chelsea say "You lied to me, get out! No, I love you, come back". Same conversation over and over. For months.  I don't know how any actor could overcome that kind of crap writing. I'm still disappointed that JH was never allowed to play a really snarky, smart, take charge Adam. He would have nailed it.

This is my thing.. Adam is now a bore., and since I didn't know JH before I don't have much love for the actor.. all I know is Adam bores the shit out of me now..

it depends the timeline.. mine is filled with philly love LOL.. and too funny about logan.. he is the biggest Y&R asskisser on the planet.. funny he is so vocal now.

• Love 1
On ‎2016‎/‎05‎/‎14 at 0:47 PM, LeftPhalange said:

Sounds like doing a reality show hasn't been a good look for ED. If she wanted a side gig I feel she could've done better than a trashy "Real Housewives" show. The only reason people watch those types of shows is to laugh at the people making a fool of themselves for public consumption. 

This is probably true, but I don't know how many other gigs would have paid her 750K for the season.

• Love 2
(edited)
On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 7:14 PM, Desperately Random said:

I don't do twitter (or FB) so I'm curious, is this something new with Michael Logan? Being so critical of JT and this whole storyline. I wonder about the timing too. Maybe he knows that Pratt and Phelps are on the way out and now feels free to vent about what was done to the Chancellor Estate.

In answer to your question, YES it is a departure for ML. He's usually got his head so far up TPBTB's asses he can see out their own eyeballs. It's not a 180 but almost rounding the corner on a 360. I haven't heard anything from the crew over at DC yet, but the hints I'm getting from recent podcasts seem to indicate that many of them like the Phyllis-Billy thing. While I don't agree with this because I loathe JT as Billy, I do contend that this is completely in Phyllis's bag of tricks. The only thing that rings false with her in this is her remorse. That's the thing that doesn't ring true.

As far as Phelps-Pratt, I wouldn't be surprised if they're both shoved out the door because of the ratings; however, the one I feel that's in imminent peril is Phelps. The Chancellor Mansion Debacle, Part II is the most recent end-run around the brass at CBS. According to the scuttlebutt, they're furious about what Phelps did with this most iconic of Y&R's sets without their input and their green light. Combine that with the budget overruns of Pratt's first year helming the HW job, I think they've been getting a constant case of heartburn remembering that Pratt was Phelps's first complete end run around her closest CBS boss, AMcD. I'm pretty convinced that Ms. McD has dropped a few not-so-subtle hints up the chain that this is what she contends with on a constant basis. If the ratings were better I don't think there'd be the hint of trouble, but they're anemic and the expense overruns have probably given CBS/Sony powers the idea that it might not be a bad idea to jettison an obvious redundancy: TWO Exceutive Producers. Hmmm. Who to choose? Since Phelps doesn't write (or at least I don't think she does), keep the guy that also is the HW, make him do double duty and oust the woman that was responsible for bringing him on in the first place (and Pratt's known to be the type of guy to throw the one responsible for "drafting" him in the first place under the bus, plus I'm sure his contract isn't up for renewal just yet). Phelps, OTOTH, was negotiating her contract last summer and nothing was ever said about its renewal in the press (that I ever heard about), which doesn't mean it wasn't, but it's also possible that she was given an extension just long enough to see how things would pan out. I would first expect to see her ouster, and perhaps Pratt's demise will come with a possibly planned demise of the show in 2018, since it was only just renewed for one year beyond its 2017 expiration date. Who knows?

Edited by Toomuchsoap
  • Love 7

I actually thought Eileen - since she's union - got just under  a million for each RH season. Which isn't shabby for like 2 months of work/one yr of tv And makes me wonder what she makes for Y&R since the rate was based on matching. 

EB and MTS and PB must make over a million a year. Probably 2. 

• Love 1
On 5/10/2016 at 5:43 PM, Bill C. said:

OhioSongbird asked in the main thread for some shots of the pre-makeunder Chancellor Mansion's living room.  Fifteen minutes of zipping through the 'tubes and I couldn't really find jack, but I found these (and the one pic of the new set, just for comparison):

chancellorestate-oldandnew.jpg

This is HIDEOUS. Are the cheap grey swirls on the walls supposed to represent marble, or dirt?

Yeah, I know there are real problems in the world, but wrecking the Chancellor mansion just feels personal, you know? This makes the Newman ranch re-do look like something out of Architectural Digest.

• Love 1

^^^^I don't care. I like it. Before it looked like exactly what was- an old lady's house. But, I will never not hate NotBilly. But now it looks like a man's house, too bad the simulacrum that is JT is the "man" that gets to inhabit it.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, glowlights said:

This is HIDEOUS. Are the cheap grey swirls on the walls supposed to represent marble, or dirt?

Yeah, I know there are real problems in the world, but wrecking the Chancellor mansion just feels personal, you know? This makes the Newman ranch re-do look like something out of Architectural Digest.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates the Newman ranch. It's such an ugly set. It looked better before the remodel.

• Love 2
On 5/19/2016 at 0:42 PM, peacheslatour said:

^^^^I don't care. I like it. Before it looked like exactly what was- an old lady's house. But, I will never not hate NotBilly. But now it looks like a man's house, too bad the simulacrum that is JT is the "man" that gets to inhabit it.

They should put a revolving door in Katherine's foyer for the various Billies to come and go...

Sad news about the drunk driving incident. I hope the victim recovers from his injuries.

• Love 4

I used to be certain that Chloe would return with a baby chipmunk, but this show is so hellbent on painting Billy ButtBiscuit as a paragon of virility that we'll undoubtedly be blessed with a fresh addition to his brood. 

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, NinjaPenguins said:

I used to be certain that Chloe would return with a baby chipmunk, but this show is so hellbent on painting Billy ButtBiscuit as a paragon of virility that we'll undoubtedly be blessed with a fresh addition to his brood. 

I'm hoping she's here for Kevin. Because, if not, it's official that they're obsessed with JT's Billy.

• Love 4

peacheslatour, it was billy's sample she stole...and seeing as how they are obsessed with jt, billy will be the baby daddy altho she may tell kevvie it is his..or not..oh well, back to cause angst to some relationship i guess.

• Love 2

Fuck.  Fuckfuckfuckfuckfuck.  

Couldn't they at least find a different Chloe?  That one was like nails-on-a-chalkboard to me.  Will she at least go to prison for the hit-and-run?

• Love 5
(edited)

Interesting wonder if she'll be screen tested with nuBilly. Or go right into Kevin/Mariah story. Last think Billy needs is another kid. 

Didn't she just try to murder Adam? They're going to just forget about that?

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 2
(edited)

Didn't she just try to murder Adam? They're going to just forget about that?

Why would Pratt bother himself with minute details like that? I guess they decided Show needed emergency reinforcement STAT and he thought EH was just the ticket. KMN. Can you actually picture her together with JT - or KermitTheBilly as Mary Jane Benson on Twitter refers to him? How did anybody think the viewers would want to watch Phyllis and Screech Owl vying for Not the Billy? KMN. Again.

Edited by Toomuchsoap
  • Love 8
49 minutes ago, Toomuchsoap said:

Why would Pratt bother himself with minute details like that? I guess they decided Show needed emergency reinforcement STAT and he thought EH was just the ticket. KMN. Can you actually picture her together with JT - or KermitTheBilly as Mary Jane Benson on Twitter refers to him? How did anybody think the viewers would want to watch Phyllis and Screech Owl vying for Not the Billy? KMN. Again.

KermittheBilly!!!! lol. He is such a joke. I have never seen so many awesome names for an actor/character in my life. I was reading the comments below the Instagram promo video and someone said: Stop trying to make this Billy hot. He looks like Bobby Brady.

lol.

• Love 7

A veteran daytime soap opera executive producer is on his or her way out at this sudser. I hear the suits have been quietly building their case for quite some times, citing ratings woes among other issues.

While it will likely be spun in the press as the exiting E.P.'s decision to leave, make no mistake, this person is about to be canned. 

Speaking of firings, a writing regime at one daytime drama has until the end of summer to shape up or ship out.  Over at yet another sudser, people are beginning to whisper that this scribe isn't physically or mentally capable of handling the job of helming a soap's writing room anymore. 

http://daytimeconfidential.com/2016/05/28/blind-item-this-soap-showrunner-is-about-to-be-fired

• Love 7
(edited)

Please SOAP GODS let it be JFP. PLEASE!!!!

Angelica McD's digs about the Chancellor House and the ratings suck and this Mal Young guy was brought in some time ago in a weird position, so....

I'm letting myself hope.

Edited by miamama
  • Love 9

All three of those blind items could apply to Y&R, GH, and Days, but Y&R and GH are hot garbage disasters so it's probably between those two. Unfortunately (for this show) if I had to guess I would say they're about GH. I think it's taking a bigger hit in the ratings and might be worse than this show. Maybe.

• Love 4

Plus the previous HW pair at Y&R were canned on better ratings than what Pratt/JFP have been pulling for months now. 

I know it has only gotten worse with each regime and the next EP/HW could be a horror. But IDGAF. I just want JFP GONE. I wish she'd take that fucker JT with her.

Maybe they could woo Billy Miller back.

Okay, getting ahead of myself. I shall await confirmation. :)

• Love 4

Woo BM back? No thanks. You seen him at GH? 

Jill might be gone but unless Pratt is gone too then not much will change. Mal is not the HW. He sharing EP with Pratt, most likely.

Unless of course Pratt is leaving too and then they are basically starting fresh.

HW ideas?

• Love 2
(edited)

Apart from the writing it's the volume of material JT is getting. He's on ALL THE FUCKING TIME. He gets multiple sets when someone tweeted that today marks ONE YEAR since the Newman Ranch was seen. And the Abbott house is not far behind that anniversary mark. 

My biggest issue is he is an actor who was parachuted in to become the star of Y&R overnight because JFP is his "dear friend."

But I also deeply deeply hate JT as an actor. I think a more charming and capable performer would be more palatable, even with this atrocious writing. 

Who knows. Maybe Chuckles is undermining JFP by writing her darling to be a complete asshole. ;)

Edited by miamama
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, TwistedSoul7 said:

I think it is JFP and Pratt. 

Mal Young has been groomed to take over. They didn't hire a well known EP from across the pond for nothing.

I think it's highly conceivable. JFP went around AMcD to get Pratt hired to the point of going straight to Nina Tassler at CBS. His writing has resulted in a blown-out budget necessitating cast cuts (which were probably in order anyway, but just the same...). I think this latest stunt of bringing in woefully miscast and under talented Jason Thompson to play newly gangsterized Billy Abbot is this third misfire in her reign of terror. She's been through two former HW/Co-HWs and the ratings have been limping along like a swayback nag on its last working leg. Pratt was supposed to be the answer to Y&R's prayers and CBS has gotten so antsy they'll only guarantee another year beyond their current contract. That certainly doesn't seem like a soap that's eager to find a way to keep her OR her Second Coming Primetime Genius Pratt to me. I'm thinking that JFP is easier to can now and Pratt may be out as soon as his contract is nearing its end, whenever that is. Soon, I hope. OTOH, it could be referring to the other networks' shows just as easily, but I'm truly thinking that it's JFP. CBS made Pratt a co-EP for some reason and I don't believe it had anything to do with his incoming compensation as stated in the press. They could put a tight rein on him while his contract expires and let him "function" as EP and elevate Mal Young to HW and then bring in a new EP or HW, for that matter if they want MY to function as EP. In any event, there's been a total meltdown in the viewers' opinions about the current state of affairs at Show and it's worked its way well into social media, etc. When CBS's head of daytime programming starts making snide remarks about decisions being made BTS by the showrunners, it's probably pretty indicative of what the sentiment is above her head.

• Love 8
(edited)

I read elsewhere that Pratt's contract is up in the fall. So canning JFP now would set up Pratt's departure nicely.

After the ratings fall -- and they have been steadily moving downwards for 6 months -- I figured May sweeps would be telling.

But again I don't know other soaps and their situation, so I'm not celebrating quite yet.

Edited by miamama
  • Love 3
(edited)

There is a lot of complaining on this site about the shitty state of affairs at the other soaps as well. I've given up on B&B due to the craptastic writing but just started watching GH and Days so I can't comment on them except to say that Sonny always wins just like Turd does. 

May sweeps have been an epic bust IMO. 

Burgess Jenkins tweeted this:

with grace, faith, humor & unending strength 
she put the gloves on & fought. 
today shes cancer free #warrior

Edited by PatsyandEddie
  • Love 16
3 hours ago, miamama said:

I think a more charming and capable performer would be more palatable, even with this atrocious writing. 

I just gotta disagree here. There is absolutely nothing in the writing that would convince me of this. And, to be frank, as much as many believe JT is favored, his character is actually getting writing that on any other show would be considered "thrown under the bus." The only thing saving him, IMO, is some thinking he and Philly are "hot." If that was taken out of the equation, I fully believe the character and this plot would have been called out from the jump.

• Love 3
(edited)

The only thing saving him, IMO, is some thinking he and Philly are "hot."

Well, those talking the loudest are a handful of gay media soap writers, which is baffling to me. I'm perplexed how this guy is supposed to look "hot" when his body is pasty white and his musculature is flaccid (really, more like non-existent). As a female viewer, I don't find anything about him attractive. I don't like the actor or the miserable mope he's now playing that's taken over SBu's role as show eater which, in all truth, has virtually come to an end to be supplanted by EB's revolting turn as Mr. Continental on the Chain Gang. Christ on a crutch! What an embarrassment of riches we viewers have with the studs of Y&R. I don't find anything "hot" about a supposedly happily married woman allowing herself to be agonizingly attracted to and fucked (over) by this wanton narcissist who doesn't give two shits about destroying the marriage and happiness of his brother. I don't care if one doesn't particularly love Jack (which I do), I just can't feel good about a washout loser trying to rip the wife out from under his own brother's nose only cast her aside later when he gets bored and decides he needs to enliven his lust with the likes Bethany or whomever is willing to drop some bootay.

Edited by Toomuchsoap
  • Love 7