Type keyword(s) to search

Reel to Real: Backstage, Twitter, & All Media Dram-ugh

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, miamama said:

I see that. But I need it to be official. ;)

Agreed. Until it's landing officially, I'm not truly believing it. But...

Here's this from Twitter that I saw this morning. This person is no reliable source that can be identified, but it's stated pretty unequivocally (but it is Twitter so make of it what your will, but those "rumors" about KS about a month in advance of her departure were all bang on if heavily veiled). Ignore the first post from Bedford, who's just a viewer that I can determine, but the second post is from someone whose photo was shot in SoCal/LA or appears to have been. Again, consume with a grain of salt.

• Love 6
(edited)
8 hours ago, crosby777 said:

yep he was.. unlike dullen.

Yes, and part of the charm was because he was introduced and rather organically integrated into the mix, not just parachuted in in full superhero regalia with trumpets blaring. As far as I know, no scriptwriter under MAB was ever given the mandate to create for Chance Chancellor a Christmas manger out of Crimson Lights so that the-then Phelps Superhero and "gorgeous blue-eyed" stud could put on a fucking halo.

Edited by Toomuchsoap
  • Love 7

The show managed to keep an official lid on Kelly Sullivan leaving pretty much up until it happened, but JFP's possible ouster is admittedly an order of magnitude more important.  If it has indeed just happened within the past week or so, though, it's probably right on the edge of "keeping it quiet."

And, to be fair: we'd still be stuck with Pratt, at least for a while longer.

That said...if they bring Chance back (and where did that tidbit come from?) he at least has to end up in the Bordello for Depressives.  He may not necessarily take it over unless Billy gives it up, but I could see that happening by override-level mandate (a la everybody dragging Billy for the redecorating of it).

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, Bill C. said:

That said...if they bring Chance back (and where did that tidbit come from?) he at least has to end up in the Bordello for Depressives.  He may not necessarily take it over unless Billy gives it up, but I could see that happening by override-level mandate (a la everybody dragging Billy for the redecorating of it).

I really hope they are bringing Chance back and hopefully Nina will be close behind. Another prevert said that perhaps the reason that Jill was brought back was to facilitate some changes (or undo) some of the awful storylines which have been destroying the legacy of Y&R . One of the first things I would love to see is NeverBilly ousted from CE and have a real Chancellor living there instead. It could easily be done by having someone (Michael?) discover the papers signing over the mansion to NeverBilly were filed incorrectly/filled out incorrectly and are therefore invalid. Chancellor Estate still belongs to Jill, who moves back in and kicks NeverBilly out on his flat keister. Chance and Nina move back in shortly after that and a decorator is hired to obliterate all signs that the Bordello of Depressives ever existed.

• Love 8

Hunter King was promoted to SERIES REGULAR on her primetime show. It was then announced she was dropped to RECURRING on Y&R. 

Congrats Hunter. You getting paid and we are free of idiot Summer!

Win/win.

• Love 14
21 minutes ago, TwistedSoul7 said:

Hunter King was promoted to SERIES REGULAR on her primetime show. It was then announced she was dropped to RECURRING on Y&R. 

Congrats Hunter. You getting paid and we are free of idiot Summer!

Win/win.

Not so fast. When VR was a series co-star with Dick Van Dyke on Prescription Murder on CBS back in the late 80s - early '90s she managed to keep her other full time gig on Show. Frankly, I don't think we're going to get that lucky.

• Love 1

I don't think Summer is gone. I think she will just be scaled back. When she was just recurring on LIP she was basically gone for 3 months. She came back full time when the show was done taping. Now she a series regular. I doubt we will see much of Summer until the show wraps again. 

• Love 2

Well, that's one down. Wonder what kind of consolation prize/exit strategy they're creating for the other pet, SB? And you almost want to feel sorry for JT since he's got to be worried about his fair-haired-boy status if the rumors about JFP are true.

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Well, that's one down. Wonder what kind of consolation prize/exit strategy they're creating for the other pet, SB? And you almost want to feel sorry for JT since he's got to be worried about his fair-haired-boy status if the rumors about JFP are true.

almost. ;)

• Love 5
(edited)
4 hours ago, Toomuchsoap said:

Not so fast. When VR was a series co-star with Dick Van Dyke on Prescription Murder on CBS back in the late 80s - early '90s she managed to keep her other full time gig on Show. Frankly, I don't think we're going to get that lucky.

The article itself from Deadline says she's going to be scaled back to recurring at Y&R.

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 2

Yes, and part of the charm was because he was introduced and rather organically integrated into the mix, not just parachuted in in full superhero regalia with trumpets blaring. 

SO TRUE!!!!!!

11 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Wait! There was a Season 1? I have never heard of this show & I didn't even know she was semi regular. I guess it's a win for her because Y&R have been cutting people left & right. That said, she's been on way too much for years. 

I watched the show several times and IMHO it stinks.  I am very surprised it is getting a second season.  The episode I saw with HK the whole time she was on screen the s/l was centered around  the size of her boobs.  I was not impressed.  But I am very happy Summer is going to be on way less can't stand her I hope eventually she disappears completely.

• Love 6
(edited)
8 hours ago, Shicklove1 said:

I watched the show several times and IMHO it stinks.  I am very surprised it is getting a second season.  The episode I saw with HK the whole time she was on screen the s/l was centered around  the size of her boobs.  I was not impressed.  But I am very happy Summer is going to be on way less can't stand her I hope eventually she disappears completely.

I thought so, too.  When I heard about the show it sounded good - great cast!  I'm usually up for anything Diane Weist does.  But IMO, it's pretty stupid and even less funny.

Edited by boes
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Petty me, but if Phelps's ouster is true, I don't give a flying fuck at the moon whether her BFFs SBu and JT are losing sleep at night right now or not (and I pray to the soap gods that EB is right there with them!). To me, SBu is the reason BM was allowed to leave, JT is the reason the character of Billy has gone sideways, and the loathsome EB is the reason MM isn't there any longer (despite the "rumors" to the contrary). I hope they're ALL outta there.

• Love 12

Heh, I guess I'll join you for a bit at the petty table. If the rumors about JFP are true, JT is in the same position MM was when he lost his patron, MAB. It's all well and good to flaunt your BMOC status if you're confident the person protecting you will never leave. Thing is though, that's never been a safe assumption in the daytime soap production world and it's even less of one now. However, as far as EB is concerned, he ain't going anywhere unless it's in a body bag. He's apparently got photos of someone important (or someone connected to them) doing wrong things farm animals and household pets and no one except the Grim Reaper can take him out. (Plus, I think EB is hanging in because he wants to make sure he gets a two-day remembrance versus the one day JC got.)

• Love 10

I actually believe EB does have something on someone - maybe even on old Bill Bell Sr. himself and the family and CBS have been contorting themselves into pretzels and Gumbies for past 40 years to protect themselves. FWIW, I'd hate to think that, but they're not bending over and kissing his ass for nothing because he's a "great" actor or pleasant to be around. This thing has got to go back decades IMO because the young generation in Hollywood doesn't give a crap about "appearances" or otherwise very much.

• Love 5

But didn't Tony Geary have far too much clout as well? I think it's more of an issue of HWs and EPs not having any power these days. They are hired and fired regularly. The EBs and TGs of the soap world have this "iconic" status that I think the networks don't want to risk losing.

I really think the suits know the writers suck and they will not improve because writers are not being groomed and talented writers aren't interested in daytime soaps. All that is drawing in viewers are the last remaining soap "stars."

And so they have a disproportionate amount of power. I mean TG talked about having the right to approve scripts and tweak? Are you fucking kidding me? So if you have ego/assholes like him and EB they abuse their power and make bullshit demands (like EB said "I ain't playing that!")

People like PB don't appear to. Though I would not be surprised if he did speak up recently and helped contribute to JFP's ouster. He cannot be happy about the direction of Jack. In interviews during and after the Marco story he spoke about Jack having REAL reason to hate Victor now -- even though he already had reason. He, like us, expected Jack to be fierce after months of torture. And he has said -- recently as well -- that he is not happy when Jack is too "good" for too long. For PB Jack is Jack when he's fighting for power and his family. As far as I can see, he is currently doing neither. Nor has he for AGES. Jack has been a chump for a "very" long time now and this latest shit with him playing the stupid cuckold for eight months while JFP's latest darling eats the show alive??? I'm reasonably sure he was not quiet about it. 

• Love 10

You're right MM, but the abuse of their status should have had or should have consequences - even for them. It's one thing to be respected for one's work and longevity in a particular role, but it's another thing altogether to demand that everyone from the doorman to the head of the damn network genuflect and kiss their damn rings. They should also be required to show some respect for the other actors and for the other members of the production team and not lord over them with veiled threats or (in EB's case, particularly) actual physical violence and temper tantrums that cause the infants to be removed from the set (which really did happen on this show, not to mention this vile creature's headbutting of Bergman back in the time of the dinosaurs). Realistically, there should be some kind of risk-reward analysis done. TG decided to leave his role. What's the bottom line on what's happened since? As far as I can determine, not much. GH was in poor condition long before he hit the door. From everything I've heard, his absence hasn't made all that much difference. If people have left in droves with his departure, it doesn't seem apparent. It's not in good shape, but it hasn't been for a very long time (thanks, JFP, SBu and Maurice!). GH isn't languishing because some long-in-the tooth, highly over-rated and uber overinflated cranium managed to get his head through the door of ABC studios on his way out of the building. If EB's worried about that, maybe Les Moonves could kindly widen the door for him. At this juncture, I think a great many viewers would be ecstatic to see him go - or at the barest minimum be absolutely forced (at gunpoint if necessary) to the barest minimum screen time which doesn't require the bi-annual debasement of some much, much younger and nubile actress in his octogenarian hands.

• Love 12

I don't think they'll ever get rid of EB. As long as Show is on the air, even after his demise, they'll just prop his rotting corpse ala Weekend at Bernies. Throw a set of shades on him and he's good to go. God knows his line delivery can't get any worse. Maybe being dead will give him a better personality and smell than he has now.

• Love 18

It would be better if HK were let go altogether so they could recast Summer.  I think she's the reason the character is so loathsome.  A capable actor might be able to make her relatable and sympathetic instead of gratingly annoying.  Right now, there's such a disconnect between what everybody says about Summer and what we see.  It's the same problem we're experiencing with "charming and handsome" Billy Munster.

• Love 17
On 6/4/2016 at 9:54 AM, Toomuchsoap said:

Petty me, but if Phelps's ouster is true, I don't give a flying fuck at the moon whether her BFFs SBu and JT are losing sleep at night right now or not (and I pray to the soap gods that EB is right there with them!). To me, SBu is the reason BM was allowed to leave, JT is the reason the character of Billy has gone sideways, and the loathsome EB is the reason MM isn't there any longer (despite the "rumors" to the contrary). I hope they're ALL outta there.

Even if JFP is out, SBu still has clout with Pratt.  The HW is also carries the EP title.  But if Pratt is shown the door as well?  Then SBu is likely on thin ice if that British EP guy doesn't want to accommodate Burton's cushy work schedule.  

• Love 2

I'm almost 100% positive that the other blind item -- that a writer or team needed to get shit together by end of summer or they are out -- is about Pratt. His contract is up in the fall.

• Love 8

Not sure who this tweeter is or her connection to show. But TMS quoted her upthread and she seems to have called when JFP was fired and speaks with some assurance re: Pratt here and earlier on her timeline. So FWIW...

So CBS WAS pissed about the desecration of Kay's house. Ha! And then they had Philly fucking on those stairs where JC had her final scene. Yeah, nice move Jill and Chuck. Fuck you both. 

And may SB and JT follow her out the door.

• Love 12

Yeah, I read a funny somewhere it said "you killed Maureen Bauer & Frankie Frame but when you killed Kathrine Chancelors house you were done (something to that affect). The changing of the mansion really set people off but I do have one question. Does a change like that have to be signed off by someone higher than JFP or is it decision alone? Just curious. Anyway, it was time for her to go. She was a hack and CBS knew it. Now, I'm sure the cast will say all the PC stuff and welcome in the new victim. How many has this been since the death of Bill Bell?

• Love 9
(edited)

And it wasn't bad enough that they trashed Kay's house, they had this arrogant, carpetbagging, pretender Billy screw his brother's wife on the very spot JC said her last words on the show. AFAIC, Billy could've whipped it out and peed on the stairs and it wouldn't have been any more disrespectful. You gotta wonder what JFP was thinking (or if she gave it any thought at all). Whatever, bye bish.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 20

Dan Kroll from Soap Central confirms that Ferret Phelps was fired.

http://soapcentral.com/yr/news/2016/0608-phelps_young.php

The Young and the Restless, daytime's top-rated soap, is apparently in need of some new direction. As a result, soapcentral.com has confirmed that the show has parted ways with its executive producer, Jill Farren Phelps. Phelps's ouster had reportedly been in the offing for some time.

Insiders tell soapcentral.com that the cast and crew of Y&R were told yesterday of the behind-the-scenes changes.

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, glowlights said:

I am GIDDY over this! G.I.D.D.Y.

Anyone know the timeline? If Pratt's contract is up in the fall, can we expect a shiny new Y&R around September or so?

I think Mal Young, having been hired in January, has been observing to allow for a smoother transition. So the changes will be faster than usual IMO. Plus if Pratt doesn't want to be fired, he'll be more amenable to direction and control from above.

What fascinates me is it seems CBS wanted JFP out but Sony is in a mess as well with its own big changes and financial woes. I think budget will play a bigger role than usual in the changes we see. 

• Love 8
23 minutes ago, glowlights said:

I am GIDDY over this! G.I.D.D.Y.

Anyone know the timeline? If Pratt's contract is up in the fall, can we expect a shiny new Y&R around September or so?

I wouldn't expect to see any on-air changes if Pratt is shown the door until maybe early 2017.  It takes awhile for a new writer's material to show up on screen and perhaps a few months to clean up all the hangover story lines left behind by the previous writer.  But that's only speculation on my part.  Maybe the new EP is exerting story line changes now with Pratt.  

• Love 2
(edited)

http://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/confirmed-jill-farren-phelps-out-at-yr/

Mal Young, an accomplished producer/writer from England with extensive soap experience, who joined the show earlier this year, will take over. “On behalf of everyone at the show, we extend our sincere thanks to Jill for her years at Y&R and wish her continued success,” said Steve Kent, senior executive vice president, US programming for Sony Pictures Television. The cast and crew was informed of the move yesterday.

Edited by spinxella
  • Love 7