Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E11: The Tasty Boys

• Start Topic

Murray (Jeff Garlin) doesn’t budge when Beverly (Wendi McLendon-Covey) wants to remodel their kitchen like the Kremps. Beverly devises a plan to do the work herself, but messes up on purpose, so Murray is forced to fix it.

No comments. Huh.  I liked this one, actually.  The only thing that threw me is the Beastie Boys song they were singing was not off of License to Ill.  I was in middle school when that album came out and it was HUGE.  We all knew the album backwards, forwards and sideways.  Maybe it was a licensing issue? Or, maybe my old feeble mind isn't remembering that particular song.

• Love 1

I actually didn't care for this episode nearly as much as some of the others.  I expected them to do a lot more with the Beastie Boys storyline since he worked so hard on getting the licensing approved, etc.  Plus the kitchen part of the storyline lost me.  I actually think Bev's kitchen was better than the other one she liked so much.  I just didn't get the usual vibe from this episode.

I knew a couple of the Beastie Boys songs in high school, but if that was one they were singing at the school I must have missed it. I did not recognize it, will have to look up what year it was released.

So Erica is the oldest of the three kids right, does that make her a senior?

Something that has bothered me with Murray is his hating change. Since the show began, we know that's been part of his character, but when has he not tried to give Bev something that seemed logical. Bev comes up with some crazy ideas or schemes, but redoing the kitchen when they have the money and know how to remodel it. That was a bit much, but I agree, I think the old kitchen looked great. They really need to establish if Erica is a senior because with the sliding timelines for the 80s, I don't know if she is a junior or senior when she and Barry both have their licenses and Adam has been established as being in 8th grade as of right now. 

I really, really want a License to ILL.  Thats awesome. That album was huge back in the day, loved that they got the license to the music. Murry and his hoarding of old coke was hysterical. I remember the bruhaha  about new coke when it came out. I live in Atlanta, so you can well imagine the backlash that occurred here. It was the end of the world!

ETA: New coke was really not that bad, but you didn't hear me say that.

Edited by Arynm
  • Love 2

The song they sang was "Shake Your Rump" off Pauls Boutique released in 1989. Definitely not from License to Ill.

Hard to believe License to Ill was basically released 30 years ago....I bought it when it came out.

Man, my parents hated rap music back in the 80's. What is funny though, my senior citizen mother now will actually listen to SOME rap/hip hop.

I enjoyed the episode, but doesn't even make the top 20 for me and I love Beastie Boys.

• Love 3

The song they sang was "Shake Your Rump" off Pauls Boutique released in 1989. Definitely not from License to Ill.

Hard to believe License to Ill was basically released 30 years ago....I bought it when it came out.

Man, my parents hated rap music back in the 80's. What is funny though, my senior citizen mother now will actually listen to SOME rap/hip hop.

I enjoyed the episode, but doesn't even make the top 20 for me and I love Beastie Boys.

Thank you!  I knew it wasn't from License to Ill.  Paul's Boutique wasn't as big of a hit, at least in my neck of the woods.  I'm sure it was licensing issues, but I think a song from Licensed to Ill would've made a lot more sense in the context of the episode.

• Love 1

Thank you!  I knew it wasn't from License to Ill.  Paul's Boutique wasn't as big of a hit, at least in my neck of the woods.  I'm sure it was licensing issues, but I think a song from Licensed to Ill would've made a lot more sense in the context of the episode.

No Sleep 'til Brooklyn would have been nice.

• Love 1

This was one of my favorite episodes.  I too remember the gasps of New Coke and I bought that someone would have hoarded old Coke.  lol

The 3 of them singing together was great.  Great end to the episode.  And also Murray's friend (forgot his name) - Bev telling him to pour out the Coke and Murray telling him not to, so he drinks it.  lol  I like that couple.  And when the wife showed off her new kitchen - oh yeah, so very 80s.  The white panel doors with the trim of wood.

• Love 2

Perhaps there were licensing issues when it came time to choose a Beastie Boys song, but I also suspect that Shake Your Rump was chosen because it allowed Adam Goldberg to portray his fictional self as being technically proficient enough to create his own fisheye lens effect back in 1980-something. Clever use of Erica's glasses by the way.

Strangely, I was ready to call shenanigans on that, as fisheye lens did become so popular it was practically in every hip hop video, but not until the second half of the 90's. But evidently the Shake Your Rump video used it back in 1989. Frankly, I didn't remember that. My appreciation for Paul's Boutique did not come until years later. The Beastie Boys grew tiresome for me sometime in 1988, and I pretty much ignored Paul's Boutique. I wouldn't come back into the Beasties fold until Sabatoge. And by the time I got around to Paul's Boutique, I rarely watched videos anymore. So I totally did not know they used the old fisheye lens. So score one for Adam Goldberg.

• Love 1

I really, really want a License to ILL.  Thats awesome. That album was huge back in the day, loved that they got the license to the music. Murry and his hoarding of old coke was hysterical. I remember the bruhaha  about new coke when it came out. I live in Atlanta, so you can well imagine the backlash that occurred here. It was the end of the world!

ETA: New coke was really not that bad, but you didn't hear me say that.

New Coke was an abomination.  Murray was absolutely right to hoard the good stuff.  (Loved that part of the episode because I was a lot like Murray in that regard.)

Erica, well the actress, is very pretty he said shallowly

I won't be surprised at all if both Hayley Orrantia and Troy Gentile become people to watch coming out of this show. Hayley is so multi talented as seen in this episode with her singing, acting, and good comic timing and she seems to be just getting started. Troy I could see having a great comedic comedy role a la Zach Galifianakis. 

• Love 2

My personal opinion...I think they used Shake Your Rump because of the cheering at the end of the song. It made it seem like all the kids were cheering for their performance when in actuality, it was part of the song.

• Love 1

Barry and Adam must have been ahead of the times. Paul's Boutique is now considered one of the greatest rap/hip hop albums of all time but was not a big commercial success upon its initial release.

The album was released in the summer of 1989 so that would probably place this episode occurring sometime in the fall/winter of 1989.

Edited by Accidental Martyr