Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
nymusix

The Simpsons

I have to agree Marge became someone I dislike. Remember the early episode where she painted Mr. Burns? Homer lost a few pounds and she was so proud.

It was kind of a shock stumbling on that episode and seeing how sweet she acted. She’d probably roll her eyes now and make a mean comment about his yo-yo dieting.

• Like 2

Does it bother anyone else that they pretty much retconned Mona’s backstory? The established canon was that Abe let Homer think she died while he was at the movies and he never knew otherwise until they met again in “Mother Simpson”. But the recent episodes like “Forgive and Regret” and “Todd, Todd, Why Has Thou Forsaken Me?” suggests not only that Mona left just because of Abe, but also that child Homer knew that she left.

Also the latter’s episode with Mona’s crack that she was as bad at goodbyes as picking husbands” was completely cruel and contradictory to the heartbreaking flashback in “Mother Simpsons” of her saying goodbye to Homer while he was asleep. What the hell, writers?! I know you can’t stick to your own canon, but at least stop messing up your classic episodes!

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 5

On 7/14/2021 at 6:42 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Does it bother anyone else that they pretty much retconned Mona’s backstory? The established canon was that Abe let Homer think she died while he was at the movies and he never knew otherwise until they met again in “Mother Simpson”. But the recent episodes like “Forgive and Regret” and “Todd, Todd, Why Has Thou Forsaken Me?” suggests not only that Mona left just because of Abe, but also that child Homer knew that she left.

Also the latter’s episode with Mona’s crack that she was as bad at goodbyes as picking husbands” was completely cruel and contradictory to the heartbreaking flashback in “Mother Simpsons” of her saying goodbye to Homer while he was asleep. What the hell, writers?! I know you can’t stick to your own canon, but at least stop messing up your classic episodes!

It's annoying, but they've done it before.

Take Skinner (please).  There was an episode that revealed that he was an imposter who had assumed the real Seymour Skinner's identity during the war (I can't remember if this was before or after Mad Men did the same thing with Don Draper), but they also had one that flashbacked to when he was a teenager with a younger version of Agnes.  

I guess after all these decades, there's only so many plots they can write without stepping on each other, and most viewers don't notice or care, but yeah, the inconsistencies and contradictions are irritating.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Take Skinner (please).  There was an episode that revealed that he was an imposter who had assumed the real Seymour Skinner's identity during the war (I can't remember if this was before or after Mad Men did the same thing with Don Draper), but they also had one that flashbacked to when he was a teenager with a younger version of Agnes.  

I guess after all these decades, there's only so many plots they can write without stepping on each other, and most viewers don't notice or care, but yeah, the inconsistencies and contradictions are irritating.

I just saw the episode with the flashback where Agnes hid the fact that Skinner got accepted into college with a full marching band scholarship, and thought how can that be? He was Armin at that age. I figured we should just go with it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lone Wolf said:

All the more reason why the show needs to end.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

I just saw the episode with the flashback where Agnes hid the fact that Skinner got accepted into college with a full marching band scholarship, and thought how can that be? He was Armin at that age. I figured we should just go with it.

Like Tony Soprano used to say, "Ah, whaddya gonna do...."

• Laugh 1

Another reason why the 700th episode “Manger Things” was full of crap: both Rod and Todd were born BEFORE Lisa; they were both in “Lisa’s First Word.” JFC these “writers” really don’t care anymore.

It’s so depressing watching the early episodes and remembering how good it used to be. It really has fallen far. Would it have killed them to just bow out gracefully after ten years when the characters were still likable and the episodes were still fresh?

4 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Another reason why the 700th episode “Manger Things” was full of crap: both Rod and Todd were born BEFORE Lisa; they were both in “Lisa’s First Word.” JFC these “writers” really don’t care anymore.

It’s so depressing watching the early episodes and remembering how good it used to be. It really has fallen far. Would it have killed them to just bow out gracefully after ten years when the characters were still likable and the episodes were still fresh?

The show is still much better than 99% of what is on Television though.  If so much trash can exist, why shouldn't this, when this is actually quality?

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Harvey said:

The show is still much better than 99% of what is on Television though.  If so much trash can exist, why shouldn't this, when this is actually quality?

Because it stopped being “actual quality” about 20 years ago. Now it’s just recycled plotlines.

On 5/16/2021 at 6:27 PM, M. Darcy said:

I was actually wondering about that. The Third Man is one of the greatest movies ever made but do most people know about it nowadays? If you haven’t seen it, it’s really worth watching. 

I watched it a few years ago.  I liked it.

There were a few points I had, when watching, which made it seem outdated when watching now, but overall there were a lot of good things about the movie, including the zither.

I liked the "Mother and Child Reunion" episode. 

Didn't like "The Man From G.R.A.M.P.A." episode.

These below are empty, but when watching the finale, I thought of these which I have.  The tequila in each of those has been gone for a few years.  Two of them are by Kah, the third from Sangre De Vida.

0VGMl2F.jpg