Type keyword(s) to search

The Simpsons - General Discussion

nymusix
  • Start Topic

So the 700th episode is a Christmas episode in March. Sure, whatever. 

That Bill Plympton couch gag was pretty good. 

"An Oscar went to an overrated actor, Tom Brady won the SuperBowl, and somebody famous had to apologize for saying something stupid. " That's six years ago for ya. And yet they say this is a flashback while everyone sounds older. 

So Marge got mad at Homer getting drunk at a party...again. Which wasn't actually his fault...again. It was nice to see Flanders' rumpus room again, now more judgmental! I honestly wouldn't think Early Series Flanders would have that painting of Hell. And speaking of seldom seen rooms...yeah, was not expecting the "hidden room" to be the crawl space over the garage. And we got the origin behind Todd's birth. He wasn't named Homer (that honor went to a baby he delivered several seasons ago), but his middle name is Homer. That Maggie's middle name is Lenny for the same reason made me laugh. 

Homer saying "no clowning, that baby's crowning!" as Flanders gave me one of the best laughs in a while. Line of the episode for sure. Grampa's "I got a hot date tonight, I want to show off by eating chicken" was a close second.

Loved the tag with Bart telling the story to Rod and Todd. Although Todd with Grampa's teeth, while a great visual, was ripped off from "Itchy & Scratchy The Movie.:

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 3

Don’t delude yourself Marge. You wouldn’t be happy if Homer were better behaved because then you wouldn’t be the victim anymore. You’re a self-proclaimed martyr in love with your own cross because it’s the only way you can avoid your own shortcomings.

And people actually want another two seasons of this show.

• Love 3

A flashback episode with more timey-wimey shenanigans.  Because this flashback should have occurred before 1989 (when the Simpsons debuted), probably around 1983 -- since Marge said it happened 6 years before.  For sure, Frozen was released in 2013 and Tom Brady didn't start winning Super Bowls until the 2000s.  Uber has only been around since 2009.  And there was no Wifi readily available before 1989.  Flat screen TVs and iPads definitely didn't exist at all in the 80s or 90s.  Sideshow Mel wasn't Krusty's sidekick yet. And definitely no Bitcoin. Apparently the writers were asleep at the switch again this episode.

I did like that all the hounds had Santa hats.  And Uber Sad -- for driving around in circles.

Loved Barney camouflaged into the seat cushions.

I am kind of curious how that 1804 Liberty dollar ended up in the vent (it's currently worth $3.8 million USD).

To paraphrase CBG, worst reveal of a never-before-seen room in the Simpson house ..... ever !!

Christmas in March is just .... odd.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

A flashback episode with more timey-wimey shenanigans.  Because this flashback should have occurred before 1989 (when the Simpsons debuted), probably around 1983 -- since Marge said it happened 6 years before.  For sure, Frozen was released in 2013 and Tom Brady didn't start winning Super Bowls until the 2000s.  Uber has only been around since 2009.  And there was no Wifi readily available before 1989.  Flat screen TVs and iPads definitely didn't exist at all in the 80s or 90s.  Sideshow Mel wasn't Krusty's sidekick yet. And definitely no Bitcoin. Apparently the writers were asleep at the switch again this episode.

Ah c’mon. In a show where everyone is the same age as they were 30 years ago, you have to figure time is a little, what? Flexible?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I am kind of curious how that 1804 Liberty dollar ended up in the vent (it's currently worth $3.8 million USD).

Not to mention a Bitcoin password, referencing this actual story about a man who forgot the password to a hard drive containing bitcoin that will lock up on him if he makes any more failed attempts at opening it.

1 hour ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I let it slide since it was the same flashback excuse used in "And Maggie Makes Three," which was "two years ago."

Edited by Galileo908

Yes, in order to keep the characters the same age (Lisa 8, Bart 10, Homer...in his mid-thirties, I think?) they have to keep retrofitting how long ago events occurred. So "six years ago" I guess meant six years ago from now, which would place this episode in 2014 (assuming they wrote this in 2020), in which Uber, Ipads, etc. were all in existence. 

I'm more shocked by the fact that the episode where Maude Flanders died happened in "our time" OVER TWENTY YEARS AGO. If the show was following real-time continuity, Rod and Tod would be in their late twenties or early thirties by now. 

• Love 3

So for the 700th episode of The Simpsons, the writers decided to do their 200th episode in which Homer has to save his marriage.  Way to make an effort to do something different, guys...

Marge kicking Homer out before Christmas and not wanting the kids to see him is just cold and stupid.  Maude Flanders was very out of character here but was pretty funny.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, benteen said:

Marge kicking Homer out before Christmas and not wanting the kids to see him is just cold and stupid. 

Not to mention it wasn’t even his fault. Lenny and Carl duped him. But let’s be real: even if they had come clean, it wouldn’t have made a difference because Marge is incapable of ever admitting she’s wrong without twisting things so that it’s still all Homer’s fault.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 2

It's "six years ago" from whenever you are watching the episode. Hence the joke of "An Oscar went to an overrated actor, Tom Brady won the Super Bowl, and somebody famous had to apologize for saying something stupid" without saying the year. Today this episode is set in 2015. If you watch it again in 2025 it would be set in 2019.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I feel like the episode was built just around that joke though. It wasn't bad, and I liked it, but like I said, odd choice for # 700.

It's possible that they don't really know what order Fox is going to show the episodes in (they often show them wildly out of production order, and indeed some of the episodes airing this season are from the previously produced season of episodes). So they probably weren't writing this episode expecting that it was going to be the 700th aired episode. 

That seems a stretch. Bob's Burgers/Family Guy which are completely different teams has Thanksgiving episodes/Valentines Day/Halloween episodes altogether. I can't imagine that for a stalwart like the Simpsons, and an unprecedented 700th episode that there wouldn't be flexibility there. 

They made a big deal out of # 600 so there's precedent. 

I don't care that it's an xmas episode, but the actual episode itself was fairly derivative for a 700th. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 1
On 3/22/2021 at 11:54 AM, Phishbulb said:

Yes, in order to keep the characters the same age (Lisa 8, Bart 10, Homer...in his mid-thirties, I think?) they have to keep retrofitting how long ago events occurred. So "six years ago" I guess meant six years ago from now, which would place this episode in 2014 (assuming they wrote this in 2020), in which Uber, Ipads, etc. were all in existence. 

I'm more shocked by the fact that the episode where Maude Flanders died happened in "our time" OVER TWENTY YEARS AGO. If the show was following real-time continuity, Rod and Tod would be in their late twenties or early thirties by now. 

Homer is most often referenced as 38 years old, but his age has been inconsistent over the years ranging from as low as 34 in early seasons to 40 in season 18.

Edited by Perfect Xero

I did appreciate the "callback" to Homer being completely incapable of reciting a single Bible verse.

(It's not that difficult; several of the ten commandments are separate Bible verses all by themselves)

A long long long time ago, Homer needed to recite a Bible verse to avoid getting killed

by a giant spider underneath the power plant.   Once again, he was incapable of doing so,

so he just threw a rock at it, and amazingly killed it.

Wow, it was actually Bob Seger this time and not Bob Saget. I wish they did more with him, though, but his cameo was pretty fun regardless.

"We've got to go make it up to Bob Seger! And our wives."

Everyone's getting recast, Sarah Wiggum is voiced by Megan Mullally now. It took thirty years, but we finally got some development for her. And Lindsey Naegle. I honestly liked the jewel heist plot. It was fun, and Lindsey's tumble down the stairs was really well animated.

I liked Fat Tony bonding with Ralph. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Galileo908 said:

Wow, it was actually Bob Seger this time and not Bob Saget. I wish they did more with him, though, but his cameo was pretty fun regardless.

Everyone's getting recast, Sarah Wiggum is voiced by Megan Mullally now. It took thirty years, but we finally got some development for her. And Lindsey Naegle. I honestly liked the jewel heist plot. It was fun, and Lindsey's tumble down the stairs was really well animated.

Plus we also got Nick Offerman's voice talents.

I liked the slick style of the heist and Sarah's backstory -- and that they framed Lindsey Nagle in the end.

• Love 2
On 2/21/2021 at 7:30 PM, Galileo908 said:

Title: Eagle carrying a sign reading "IS IT SAFE YET?"

Couch Gag: The family goes to Mars! And Homer doesn't have a helmet.

Flanders has a garage sale! And the animation was great for the song. I loved the literal swear jar with all the naughty words Flanders cut out of all his books. 

I was wondering how they'd handle the plotline of Mrs. Krabappel's diary, and they only used her voice for two lines (which I thought was pretty sweet). Liked the reveal that Edna wrote about her cat and not Bart, and Bart was too dim to realize it. Lisa just HAD to ruin Bart's self improvement because she felt anxiety that he misread the diary. Aside from that, the episode was legitimately sweet. 

Liked that Edna was watching the Bob Newhart Show, a nice shout out to Marcia Wallace.

I am some episodes behind, and catching up.  Just watched this episode with Edna's diary.  I have long despised Lisa and her penchant for sticking her sanctimonious nose everywhere it doesn't belong.  Bart was actually happy and productive and of course Lisa has to come along and ruin it.  Was the anxiety because she knew he had misread it, or was it because she just couldn't stand seeing him achieve?  Either way, what was the harm in letting him believe what he believed?  At some point, he will read more or come to a realisation on his own.  Or he won't, and will continue to be an achiever.

I get that Simpsons episodes rarely carry over any plot points, so I fully expected that Bart wouldn't remain an achiever by episode's end.  But I wish there had been some kind of realisation by Bart that he believed in himself because he thought someone else did, and that maybe if he just tried harder, he could be that person all the time.

And because it can't be said enough.... shut up Lisa.

(edited)

Started the greatest season of all time, season 7, just last week, and man, I'm having a blast! Now THIS is the kind of Simpsons I want to watch: witty comedy blended with tearful emotional resonance and excellent character development. I also love how grounded it is too, something people found to be a flaw than a selling point. Season 2-4 were among my favorites too for their grounded (and relatable) storylines, so I'm glad it's returned to that realistic down-to-earth feel.

I think the best part of the Oakley and Weinstein era for me so far is just how much effort is being pushed onto the character development, and how unpredictable the storylines can get. Homer, for example, is at his least obnoxious state here, with a nice blend of his usual goofiness and playing a role as a doting father (“Home Sweet Homediddly-Dum-Doodily”). Lisa is much more refreshing and less annoying with her PC-ness this season than the last couple ones ("Lisa vs. Malibu Stacy" comes to mind...), and I definitely liked her as a person in "Lisa the Vegetarian" a lot more.

Speaking of which, this reminds me of that AV Club review that has mentioned that Futurama characters felt so relatable that you could care about them like you would with real people, and I think Simpsons season 7 has certainly achieved that effect. They've become so entertaining and endearing at the same time that you're hooked to the screen to see what happens next.

And to further add to that high level of engagement, the storylines so far are very unique and experimental (probably more than any of the previous seasons) that it makes you tune in to see what other crazy stunts that Oakley/Weinstein duo could come up with next.

This is definitely the peak of The Simpsons, one that I shall cherish for the next two seasons or so... until it fizzles out in 9.

Edited by MagnusHex
  • Love 2
On 3/29/2021 at 1:34 AM, Galileo908 said:

I guess l would have liked some recognition of the fact Marge and Lindsey Naegle actually have quite a lot of history with each other some of antagonistic, some of it less so. You'd think Marge would remember the woman managed her mayoral campaign. 

• Love 2

Couch Gag: Potato art! I just think they're neat.

I always appreciate a good Mac Tonight cameo. I also loved seeing Burns as all the fast food mascots, that was delightfully creepy. It's totally like Mr. Burns to start making Impossible Burgers to save the world...that ends up actually dooming it because the burgers are made from endangered plants. And man, I really wanted to see Burns and Smithers go to that school for the blind and convince them aliens landed. That was really clever and evil.

I was surprised that the B-plot with Marge being invested in the stocks was oddly timely. 

I love Burns episodes, and any type of "Mr. Burns is old and weak" humor. Forty-two pounds being TRIPLE his normal weight was so great. Loved that we got callbacks to both Catsup and Bobo (he was sitting next to Burns' hospital bed). 

Wow, Scott Christian showed up again! And he's dead.

That Burger War cutaway was silly as all hell, as was Homer's fantasy of being a fly on the wall.

Honestly I thought this episode was great! Sure, by today's standards, but I really enjoyed this!

• Love 3
9 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I take it back - That's why Jesus retired at 33.

Quote of the week: "That's why Jesus retired at 33 without a fast food franchise to his name. Except maybe Chik-Fil-A."

That was hilarious!!!! (Still boycotting CFA.)

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

After a second watch, I think this is probably the best overall episode they've had in a long, long time! Just so many things going on that were each excellent on their own. Well done!

Got a friend to watch it too, even though he rarely watches The Simpsons. He's still laughing!

• Love 2

I liked it but there were enough logical flaws to keep me from loving it. Professor Frink was the one who came up with the burgers (which actually makes him the true villain when you think about it) but he disappeared completely after one scene. Also surely making veggie burgers from rare Amazon plants would be ridiculously expensive? Was Mr Burns prepared to lose money on the deal to be liked? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

This week Homer gets a new Canyonero, while Lisa gets exposed to The Smiths. Someone REALLY wanted to do a whole episode of Morrissey jokes (inspired by Jojo Rabbit, according to Matt Selman), so what the hell, why not? This whole episode was just one giant excuse to crap on Lisa. ESPECIALLY Marge. Sure, she had every right to be mad at Homer for buying an expensive truck without consulting her (again), but getting mad at Lisa becoming sardonic? Who is exactly the pill here?

"Mushrooms? Those are chairs for toads." Nelson had some great lines tonight.

"Lisa, I enjoyed that. And I enjoy nothing!" Yeah, that's Morrissey summed up. And of course the REAL Morrissey Quilloughby is old, hateful, a sellout, and a racist. He was very well animated, too.

• Love 1
On 4/11/2021 at 5:33 PM, Galileo908 said:

Couch Gag: Potato art! I just think they're neat.

I always appreciate a good Mac Tonight cameo. I also loved seeing Burns as all the fast food mascots, that was delightfully creepy. It's totally like Mr. Burns to start making Impossible Burgers to save the world...that ends up actually dooming it because the burgers are made from endangered plants. And man, I really wanted to see Burns and Smithers go to that school for the blind and convince them aliens landed. That was really clever and evil.

I was surprised that the B-plot with Marge being invested in the stocks was oddly timely. 

I love Burns episodes, and any type of "Mr. Burns is old and weak" humor. Forty-two pounds being TRIPLE his normal weight was so great. Loved that we got callbacks to both Catsup and Bobo (he was sitting next to Burns' hospital bed). 

Wow, Scott Christian showed up again! And he's dead.

That Burger War cutaway was silly as all hell, as was Homer's fantasy of being a fly on the wall.

Honestly I thought this episode was great! Sure, by today's standards, but I really enjoyed this!

This was one of my favorite episodes in a long time.  What I mean is that this belongs with some of the other top episodes of this series.

I liked the Alexa and stock buying gag.

Questions I have about this episode:

1)  There were 5 portraits of Mr. Burns, mocking other fast food restaurants.

I'm not 100% sure of the one on the right.

The ones I got were:  Mr. Burns as Colonel Sanders; Jack In The Box; Burger King; Wendys.

Was the one all the way on the right, supposed to be McDonalds, and Mr. Burns as The Hamburglar?

2)  There was eerie music being played in the scene when Bart and Lisa were on bicycles, and Bart took Lisa's burger.  Was that music supposed to be from The X-Files?

7 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

"Mushrooms? Those are chairs for toads." Nelson had some great lines tonight.

Was that supposed to be a Super Mario Brothers joke?

• Love 1

I liked the idea of Lisa being into The Smiths, but felt they could have done it differently.

Usually when the show spoofs something, they are good at it, and it's light and funny.

They didn't go in that direction.  I would have wanted something that went deeper into Lisa's psyche, or her personality.  With then some revert to normal, since that's what happens.

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, nuraman00 said:

There was eerie music being played in the scene when Bart and Lisa were on bicycles, and Bart took Lisa's burger.  Was that music supposed to be from The X-Files?

It was Stranger Things. The sight gag was that the monster ate the kids and took their bikes. 

• Love 1

I have really enjoyed each of the last two episodes.  As far as Morrissey, I suspect I'm much in the minority, but while I've certainly heard of him, I wasn't able to identify him as the main source of the character last night.  I recognized the type, absolutely, and that was enough to make me laugh, but I've never pursued that kind of music very closely.  So cheers to him for putting out that pathetic he-doth-protest-too-much critique of "The Simpson's" [sic], which gave me the opportunity to learn a little more about him and realize what a jackass he really is.

• Love 3

Loved the  Slapify algorithm after Lisa unliked everything and the algorithm says "you hate everything so you will like THIS."

I don't think that's true of The Smiths or Morrissey at all.  Yes wry and sardonic lyrics but he isn't always dour or "too cool for school" to like anything.

IOW, there is substance in the music, not just some adolescent poseur.

Yes Morrissey has turned into a git in old age or maybe he was always racist, though he denies it.

But he was brilliantly on point about Thatcherism and one of the great social critics in his songwriting.

I didn't figure they were parodying Morrissey until I came here, though I do know of the artist. I thought it was general, emo 80s English rocker. Though I think there was a little more of the latter than the former. Quilloughby is a great name though. 

2 minutes ago, aghst said:

Yes wry and sardonic lyrics but he isn't always dour or "too cool for school" to like anything.

IOW, there is substance in the music, not just some adolescent poseur.

Yes Morrissey has turned into a git in old age or maybe he was always racist, though he denies it.

I don't know. The 'too cool for school' always came across rather strongly for me. That doesn't mean the lyrics weren't insightful. Morrissey irl needs to understand what sardonic means and take in the whole context of his era. 

And hey, if you're made about being made out to be a git on a cartoon, then maybe don't be a git. Or grasp that they're being bombastic about the parody and have a laugh at how pretentious vegetarians can be. I don't actually think he threw sandwiches at people. 

• Love 2

Welcome, politically corrected voice actor for Dr. Hibbert.

Also, been there done that, to wit: 

Can you name the truck with four wheel drive,
smells like a steak and seats thirty-five..

Canyonero! Canyonero!

Well, it goes real slow with the hammer down,
It's the country-fried truck endorsed by a clown!

Canyonero! (Yah!) Canyonero!
[Krusty:] Hey Hey

The Federal Highway commission has ruled the
Canyonero unsafe for highway or city driving.

Canyonero!

12 yards long, 2 lanes wide,
65 tons of American Pride!

Canyonero! Canyonero!

Top of the line in utility sports,
Unexplained fires are a matter for the courts!

Canyonero! Canyonero! (Yah!)

She blinds everybody with her super high beams,
She's a squirrel crushing, deer smacking, driving machine!

Canyonero!-oh woah, Canyonero! (Yah!)

Drive Canyonero!

Woah Canyonero!

Woah!

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

Welcome, politically corrected voice actor for Dr. Hibbert.

I didn't know they got a new voice actor but figured it out right away. He was a bit stilted and laughed only once. Hopefully he'll get better and relax with time.

Even the early episodes with the same actors sound a bit strange nowadays.

• Love 1