Type keyword(s) to search

The Simpsons - General Discussion

nymusix
  • Start Topic

6 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

But, yes, you're not going to get a middle class job with a high school diploma.

And Homer was only put in that job so he'd stop crusading about how unsafe the plant is. 

Well, that was dark and true.

The show built on the middle class, admitting the life of the Simpsons isn't attainable anymore.  That said, don't worry, I'm sure trickle down will work after the 759th attempt.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I did enjoy Bart telling Robert Reich off (I think he said to go to hell or something similar) and the Bridgerton spoof was hysterical.  Heh, and also Lisa's line about insurance not covering musical numbers. 

• Love 1
(edited)

While I appreciate the effort and the lyrical/messaging content, the songs were just plain bad. This is primarily due to the fact that none of the main cast can carry a tune in a suitcase and their singing voices are nightmare fuel.

"Praise, praise, praise . . ." was good

Edited by Tachi Rocinante
  • Love 1

I noticed when scrolling through the Emmy nominations that the show was nominated for Outstanding Animated Program.  It is for "Pixelated and Afraid." 

There was a line at the end of "Girls Just Shauna Have Fun" that I really liked.  It is when Shauna says she quit the school band and started her own punk band where she can be both singer and drummer.  Marge cluelessly declares, "Just like Phil Collins!"  Now I think of that and laugh when one of his songs plays on Soft Rock or something.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

I noticed when scrolling through the Emmy nominations that the show was nominated for Outstanding Animated Program.  It is for "Pixelated and Afraid." 

Good. It’s the only episode from the past decade or two that’s even deserved a nomination.

On 3/13/2022 at 5:30 PM, Galileo908 said:

This was a do-over for "Homer Badman" that's definitely gonna age better. How does Homer make everyone move on for going viral for leaving SLH in the car? Go viral for some other out of context reason! True to life.

Bart keeping a scoreboard of all the death threats after Homer got doxxed is so very true to his character and again, true to life.

Helen Lovejoy is 100% a viral Karen. And the short guy is a spoof of the Bagel Boss Guy. Remember that guy? I do, because it happened not far from where I live. The episode lived up to its title, I WAS surprised at where Act 3 went to! I figured that Kumail was gonna turn the group into a Suicide Squad, but Buzzfeed CHUMNet being full of clickbait trap was genius. I also figured that The Institute was going to scrub EVERYONE awful from the internet. Including "The football coach who always cheats," "that guy who was just the president" and "so many Russian generals."

Lisa ruined everything by writing the most heartfelt apology anyone has ever heard. That's so great.

Worth noting that this is the first episode entirely helmed by women. They should do that more often, this was great. Somewhere, Milhouse is mad because so many people are saying "radical."

When Homer was in church, he called the other people "Pee Pee Babies".

Is that supposed to be a diaper wearing baby/toddler?

Also, what does Lisa eat at Dead Lobster?  They went there in this episode.

So looking back on some episodes, Marge’s attitude toward the LGTBQ community is condescending. It started out fine enough with her being the more open-minded one in “Homer’s Phobia” but in later episodes she treats them like the cool best friend to be there at her beck and call and to help her feel better about herself.

In “Gorgeous Grampa” she had her hopes high that Abe was gay just so that she could have a cute “gal pal” and was devastated 🙄 when it turned out he wasn’t. And then there was the infamous “Werking Mom” where she became a tourist in the LGTBQ community all for her own game, but when she was called out on it when Homer accidentally exposed her, instead of owning up to what she did, she basically used Homer as a scapegoat and made it all about how her pet drag queens were more supportive than her husband.

It’s really rich that the woman who ratted Homer for pirating movies by sending the studio her ticket money had zero qualms about profiting off the LGTBQ community by pretending she was one of them. The hypocrisy would be laughable if it weren’t so infuriating.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

Another thing that bothers me about “Werking Mom”: how many times Marge accidentally/purposely undermined Homer’s latest going-ons? Too many. And yet not once, even when she almost got him killed by outing him as a prison snitch in “The Seven Beer Snitch” was she portrayed as in the wrong. But the one time the shoe is on the other foot, it’s suddenly an unforgivable sin and Homer had to bend over backwards to make it right, even though what she was doing was pretty immoral.

Again, the hypocrisy is too much.

• Like 1

A lot of awful stuff Marge said and did flew over my head, but that changed when she revealed she sneaks in meat juice in Lisa's food. I think it was in the episode where the Simpsons look in Otto's girlfriend when their wedding fell apart. Marge was horrible to to the GF too. I never looked at her the same way again.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

A lot of awful stuff Marge said and did flew over my head, but that changed when she revealed she sneaks in meat juice in Lisa's food. I think it was in the episode where the Simpsons look in Otto's girlfriend when their wedding fell apart. Marge was horrible to to the GF too. I never looked at her the same way again.

The wedding fell apart because Marge basically stuck her nose in their business when she shouldn’t have (as usual). Becky told her that she actually could stand Otto’s beloved heavy metal rock, and because Marge is under the delusion that all couples have to like the same things, she t9ld her that Otto had to choose between his girlfriend and heavy metal. Maybe they would have broken up eventually, but again, Marge always had to get involved.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

The wedding fell apart because Marge basically stuck her nose in their business when she shouldn’t have (as usual). Becky told her that she actually could stand Otto’s beloved heavy metal rock, and because Marge is under the delusion that all couples have to like the same things, she t9ld her that Otto had to choose between his girlfriend and heavy metal. Maybe they would have broken up eventually, but again, Marge always had to get involved.

Pretty hypocritical since she and Homer rarely like the same things.

• Love 3
On 11/13/2021 at 9:17 AM, ottoDbusdriver said:

Plusaversary has the feel that they were forced to do this but didn't really want to, so they didn't really try that hard.

So, where are we........???

Disney Day presents "Welcome to The Club"

Bart and Lisa are walking into a castle.   Lisa thinks she going to meet the Disney Princesses,

but all the Disney villains are there instead

(and Bart is actually Loki (voiced by Hiddleston) complaining about a "contractual obligation",

speaking of which.............)

The villains sing a song about being bad is better than being good,

a bunch of generic male princes sing a song about being bland and boring,

Mickey yells at them, and the cartoon just ends.

We don't know what happened with Lisa, or anything.

"Contractual Obligation"  indeed.

• Love 1

Couch Gag: 8 bit! Awesome!

I appreciated seeing Arthur Crandall & Gabbo again for some reason at the town meeting.

"What does DIY stand for?"
"Do it yourself."
"I'm trying to, but I can't."

I don't know WHY Homer thought paella would impress his internet conspiracy group, but it was so well drawn it made me hungry. I liked that everyone was on board with shipping Gil with Miss Hoover. And I always appreciate wholesome Homer/Chalmers content.

I appreciate that Homer found Slow Leonard by literally falling down a rabbit hole. Of course what keeps conspiracy groups going is to find a new conspiracy theory. Like...what IS calamari? Or is there a TV show that can predict the future? Love the reveal that the conspiracy yarn company was behind everything.

"Bart, you always say your father's ideas are dumb. And Lisa, you always prove it."

Loved that "DISNEY RETURNS FOX" newspaper. I'd think Discovery giving back WB is more likely at this point.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
53 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

I don't know WHY Homer thought paella would impress his internet conspiracy group, but it was so well drawn it made me hungry.

Who knew he could actually make it?

Those ideas really went off the rails fast, but I'm glad nothing happened to the turtle. I got worried when they said he was a robot. 

• Love 3

At the risk of pedantic, there's a distinct difference between a turtle and a tortoise, of which I think the writers are aware but counting on most people not to notice since they used the terms interchangeably.  Nevertheless, notice I did, and it took me out of the moment every time they called Slow Leonard a turtle.  

Anyone else notice the similarity between SL's face and Grampa Simpson's? Maybe that's just how they draw old creatures but I like to think it was an inside joke.

I got a chuckle out of Comic Book Guy's protest sign - "Is there a bathroom I can use?"

Edited by Lone Wolf

Couch Gag: New Bil Plympton short!

They were several years late, but the Simpsons finally took on Pelaton! I mean Pedalon! You know what I mean. Loved the other expensive gifts on the tv: the car, the boat, the giraffe, Michaelangelo's David. I wanted to see what Hans Moleman's class would've been like. He probably ate an orange! Well, excuse Marge for wanting to do something with her life and follow a not cult. Just paying for merchandise and dreaming about the hunky instructor at night. I liked seeing Marge bike the intro in reverse, and kicking Jesse off the virtual Great Wall of China and seeing him fall down Springfield Gorge style.

So Lisa got summoned for Jury Duty...somehow. Of course the guard didn't buy her excuse of being a literal child. "What eight year old wears pearls?!" Indeed. Man, what did Herman do to land him in jail? Or Fat Tony to serve in a jury while being in it, too. I couldn't believe they brought back Judge Constance Harm for this, I think her last appearance was in 2010. I don't like how nothing happened with Lisa getting held in contempt. She's just commentating on Homer and Marge's bit at the end. Also, Gil works for Pedalon now and isn't a lawyer.

• Love 2

Liked seeing Judge Harmm again, even if she’s a bigger bitch than ever.

So Marge blows all their money on stupid Pedalon classes and lusts after the instructor, but once again weasels out of getting called out on her actions. And we have to hear her terrible voice singing. Yup.

• Love 4
53 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

I don't like how nothing happened with Lisa getting held in contempt. She's just commentating on Homer and Marge's bit at the end. Also, Gil works for Pedalon now and isn't a lawyer.

And also Kirk burns down Pedalon in the ending, yet we see Jesse and Gil working there in the tag. (but probably it's a different location?)

In the commercials with all the gifts that had the big red ribbons, one was a giraffe. 
One of the backdrops was Fry and Leela!

Do they really have all those charges on pelaton? Oh, pedalton. You know what I meant!

I actually thought there was more to mine in Lisa being on the jury with Gil as a lawyer. 

• Love 1

It sucks that we were cheated out of Maggie delivering what could have been a beautiful “fuck you” to Marge. Really shows that she can’t handle any criticism from a freaking baby.

Once again, the hypocrisy rankles that Marge gets to obsess over other men yet is still entitled to throw a psycho bitchfit over Homer having a platonic female friend.

• Love 1

Marge guilt tripping Homer into buying a $1,500 bike for a birthday present is...certainly something. 

I did like Marge's version of Bart's opening credits bike ride. 

Fat Tony's line about serving jury duty while being in prison made me laugh a lot than it probably should have.

• Love 3

Couch Gag: Scrabble tiles!

Well, that was the LAST thing I was expecting out of this episode. Thanks to a pair of hacktivists, we pretty much got a new 22 Short Stories, but the shorts were able to be taken to strange, new places. So naturally this was easily one of my favorite episodes in a while.

My favorite segments were the origin of the Charles Bronson Guy (an alien queen-like creature births them out), and Martin turning out to be a 36 year old narc. And then came the last act and (jokingly) confirmed both Eddie being Ralph's father, and the coma dream theory. Also loved "the dog segment", Chalmers flaying himself, and Frink in The Martian. Also really appreciated the montage of (most) of the show's cringiest moments.

Both hacktivists being named Ashley was just a great capper. I hope we see them again.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Oh yeah, the first segment was confirming that was never a Lenny and never slowed down.

They've been getting more experimental lately (like the Serious Flanders two parter) but I want more swinging for the fences like this episode. 

I liked when Bart came back from the 'future' his animation was different than the current scene. 

This was a great idea, but I wonder how they pitched it? Were these jokes just lying around? Because this was a lot to come up with. 

Seriously, those masks better be retail because that is a killer halloween costume. And please green light Baby Jeff Goldblum. 

• Love 1

People are either going to appreciate “Lisa The Boy Scout” as one big gag or they won’t.   It is literally the show making fun of itself and Disney with the worst clip ideas that they could think of in between the beginning and end of what looks like a pretty standard episode.   

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1
On 10/9/2022 at 9:27 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

This was a great idea, but I wonder how they pitched it? Were these jokes just lying around? Because this was a lot to come up with. 

From what I've been seeing on twitter, the credited writer was Dan Greaney, but the whole writing staff pitched ideas for it.

On 10/9/2022 at 9:43 PM, Chaos Theory said:

.............................the show making fun of itself and Disney with the worst clip ideas that they could think of in between the beginning and end of what looks like a pretty standard episode.   

Homer:    Let's run a bunch of ideas that are not canon in between a rather lackluster plot.

Bart:   You mean, What If The Simpsons Was Family Guy??????

• LOL 2
On 10/9/2022 at 6:27 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

That's what I assumed - that they were previously proposed plot lines that never got off the ground.

I was afraid that it was really going to be Lisa vs. Bart in Boy Explorers, which sounded boring (in addition to having been done a million times).  I ended up really enjoying it.

2 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

I was afraid that it was really going to be Lisa vs. Bart in Boy Explorers, which sounded boring (in addition to having been done a million times).  I ended up really enjoying it.

I thought the same thing. Lisa and Bart at odds until something happens and they team up (or one saving other) and have a brother/sister bonding moment until the next episode.

I bet they know what we were all thinking when they came up with that title and description. Well played, Simpsons.

51 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

I bet they know what we were all thinking when they came up with that title and description. Well played, Simpsons.

Yes, very meta. I thought the same. It ended like that though with Bart and Lisa limping out of the woods together.