Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Hostile Takeover

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Technically, she didn't admit it.  She took off her glasses, but didn't say another word except to take Alex's call (I don't think "quick on her feet in an argument" is in her character description).  I don't believe that "Cat knows" will become the status quo; I just don't want them to make it silly (note that this is a fan-recut version of the scene, and it doesn't include her sarcastic "You're what I thought was Superman?").

Not that I think the Supergirl people are actually looking at it this way, but which makes for a better, or at least more entertaining, story? Cat knows and they progress from there or Cat finds out but they manage to convince her she's wrong (ie using MM or some other alien tech)? Personally I'd lean toward the former, because the hiding the secret identity thing gets old after a while. Three out of however many people are in the company knowing the secret wouldn't change the dynamic of the show too much. However, I'm inclined to think the show will maintain the status quo and get J'onn to either appear as Supergirl while Kara is in the room (which means either she has to find out about him or he and Alex do it without her knowledge) or else use his telepathy to wipe her memories.

• Love 1

Not that I think the Supergirl people are actually looking at it this way, but which makes for a better, or at least more entertaining, story? Cat knows and they progress from there or Cat finds out but they manage to convince her she's wrong (ie using MM or some other alien tech)? Personally I'd lean toward the former, because the hiding the secret identity thing gets old after a while. Three out of however many people are in the company knowing the secret wouldn't change the dynamic of the show too much. However, I'm inclined to think the show will maintain the status quo and get J'onn to either appear as Supergirl while Kara is in the room (which means either she has to find out about him or he and Alex do it without her knowledge) or else use his telepathy to wipe her memories.

Which would be a tremendous cop-out and utterly nonsensical because it would then render that entire scene completely pointless.

Technically, she didn't admit it.  She took off her glasses, but didn't say another word except to take Alex's call (I don't think "quick on her feet in an argument" is in her character description).  I don't believe that "Cat knows" will become the status quo; I just don't want them to make it silly (note that this is a fan-recut version of the scene, and it doesn't include her sarcastic "You're what I thought was Superman?").

She didn't keep denying it, either.  Her silence and her taking the glasses off at Cat's request are a tacit admission that Cat is right.  And the fact that Cat let her go take the call clearly indicated that Cat knew Kara was responding to some emergency that needed Supergirl.  Cat's simply not that stupid.

Which would be a tremendous cop-out and utterly nonsensical because it would then render that entire scene completely pointless.

You're absolutely right. But I've watched enough TV in my life to know that is exactly the kind of stuff they do all the time. Especially this particular bunch of people, who had Iris find out Barry was the Flash and tell him she loved him five minutes before he went back in time and made that scene pointless, and also basically broke up Oliver and Felicity then had Barry go back in time and undo it, making that scene pointless too. I'm not saying that IS what they're going to do here since I obviously don't know but it's what I'd expect and I won't be surprised if it happens.

Loved that Cat realized that Kara is Supergirl. Frankly, as much as I think MB is  doing a great job,  she  can't make me believe people around her wouldn't notice she and Supergirl are  the same person.  Christopher Reeve was the best at that: Superman  and Clark really looked like  different people. Of course, his Clark wasn't supposed to be  attractive, which helped. MB's Kara, otoh, is dorky but cute. Dean Cain had the same problem too. 

I think they call it adorkable. One of the differences in Dean Cain's Clark Kent was that he was confident and a little cocky, and only occasionally clumsy. In the pilot, Lois also saw that Clark could "eat like an 8-year old and you look like Mr. Hardbody." There was a similar dynamic in the George Reeves series where Lois always wondered if Clark was Superman but could never prove it. Plus, there was the occasional double to cast doubt.

Christopher Reeve took a more physical approach. He slouched more. He constantly bumbled. Clark also was more of a square while his Superman was a kind of gentle boy scout.

• Love 2

But it would make no sense for Kara to "deflect" the idea when she's already admitted to Cat that she is Supergirl.  The far better course would be for Kara to tell her that James and Wynn also know and introduce her to the Fortress of Supergilitude that has been in existence under Cat's nose for some time now.  Cat's a sensible grown woman who understands the importance of discretion -- she was ready to give up Catco to protect her older son from the scandal she knew would have ensued if news of his existence had gotten out, after all.

We talked about this in the Spoiler topic, so I have to do the version here that doesn't reveal the spoilery next ep details. She only gave in to Cat with the glasses... and then ran away. She didn't verbalize an admission.  Where this leaves us I think is with the possibility that Kara at least THINKS that she could later deny it (probably somewhat foolishly--but characters ARE allowed to be foolish if it serves the story and there are consequences for them being so).  My non-spoilery conclusion is that they could play the follow up to this really badly, or really cleverly, and we just have to hope that if they go for a "denial" that it avoid the biggest tropes of how that can be done and doesn't make Cat look stupid.  I'm concerned more with Cat looking stupid here rather than Kara, because at least Kara's reactions could be played as panic and false hope.  Whereas if the show DOES somehow put the genie back in the bottle, it's going to be contrived and then Cat is the one who looks like a dumbass.

There are potential fakeouts they could use though--some making the cliches even worse and some defying them.  More about that in the spoiler topic.

We talked about this in the Spoiler topic, so I have to do the version here that doesn't reveal the spoilery next ep details. She only gave in to Cat with the glasses... and then ran away. She didn't verbalize an admission.  Where this leaves us I think is with the possibility that Kara at least THINKS that she could later deny it (probably somewhat foolishly--but characters ARE allowed to be foolish if it serves the story and there are consequences for them being so).  My non-spoilery conclusion is that they could play the follow up to this really badly, or really cleverly, and we just have to hope that if they go for a "denial" that it avoid the biggest tropes of how that can be done and doesn't make Cat look stupid.  I'm concerned more with Cat looking stupid here rather than Kara, because at least Kara's reactions could be played as panic and false hope.  Whereas if the show DOES somehow put the genie back in the bottle, it's going to be contrived and then Cat is the one who looks like a dumbass.

There are potential fakeouts they could use though--some making the cliches even worse and some defying them.  More about that in the spoiler topic.

And I will only respond here to this extent, since there's really no need to discuss the scene to death:  Taking off the glasses and leaving to take what Cat clearly understood to be an emergency call (but NOT continuing to deny right to the end of the conversation that she is Supergirl) would be construed by any reasonable person -- including Cat -- as a tacit admission by Kara that she is, in fact, Supergirl.  Not all admissions have to be expressed in words.  It's akin to the old saying that silence implies consent and/or agreement.

Edited by legaleagle53

Oddly enough I think the way they're playing this (and it's very different from the comics) is with Cat being a proxy mother figure for Kara. It's worked really well, and I think it's because (and this surprised me) Calista Flockhart has acted the shit out the role. The show took some serious crap online for hiring her and IMO she's totally proved the haters wrong.

It’s possible that the assemblage has been punk’d on this point, but I feel like Calista’s performance is what earned Cat her preeminence in the story.  She didn’t have to have any kind of personality and could have been one-dimensional, barking, never-looks-at-“Keir-Ra” part.

Oh, and since it's STILL stupifying me 2 days later:

PRINTOUTS?!? They PRINTED OUT the emails for review? Aside from being moronicly inefficient, and counterproductive security-wise, that's also missing out on perfectly good iPad (or other tablet) product placement.

Yeah, that was silly, wasn't it?  What about the extant Outlook availability of cross-referenced searches, narrowing by date, buzzword, attachment, I could go on?  And the extant status of Winn as alleged tech-geek god?  He wants to sift through printouts?

James and Wynn are also keeping Kara's identity a secret, so Cat should do the same - but if Kara won't tell her to do it, her ego might get better of her. I can picture Cat insisting on leaking to the world that Supergirl is her humble assistant and that she has built her up into the confident woman she is, etc., just to stoke her ego.

If Cat 100% knows, then she has a supreme vested interest in keeping her mouth shut 'cuz her goal is to get Catco its "own Superman figure".  It's counterproductive to the mystique to say "oh, and btw?  Supergirl gets my croissants and coffee every weekday."

Laura Benanti is an excellent actress and I have faith she’ll figure it out in a trice, but she’s currently not very good acting against greenscreen.  Some of Alura’s expressions were melodramatic-bad.

Why did Cat call Winn “handsome”?  Thinking it unlikely that she’s a cougar, and would be particularly bad fanservice just to toss it in in case Greg B. feels they’ve been being unfair to the actor/character.  My other option, is that she did it because they’re serious about Winn and Kira and are trying to give that a subconscious push.

I am also rather surprised that based upon Facinelli and Flockhart’s chemistry, that they went gungho towards Lord/Alex instead.

• Love 1

I'm glad that we get Cat working out the Kara = Supergirl reveal, because for a supposedly brilliant woman (in journalism, no less!) it does defy belief that she can't spot that her assistant looks uncannily like her poster girl. Yes, I know it's an idea with a long tradition, but that doesn't make it any less stupid. And true, Kara didn't exactly admit it either, but she didn't deny it either.

And while I do find it believable that Cat would face revolts within her company, it does seem implausible that she might be undermined by the existence of an illegitimate child (I guess you could say it reflects societal double standards - hard to imagine anyone would expect a male CEO to resign over an illegitimate son) though it was more Cat falling on her sword to protect her son than that she'd be actually forced out. Though why do villains insist on copping to their EVIL plans - say "that's an interesting theory" and SHUT UP (again, I know it's an equally silly tradition that villains CAN'T do that). Though Cat was right - if he's doing his plotting on the company computer, Cat has a perfect right to read it and he's just an idiot for not using his (personal) Blackberry to conspire on rather than a company computer.

Jodithgrace Here I was thinking that we had ol'  Auntie Astra all wrong, but apparently not. Is she really Kara's mother? That was the impression I got.

I was expecting that revelation too (and it may still arrive). I also loved the implication that Krypton was destroyed because it was using too much Geothermal power. If only they'd been burning oil, Krypton would still be there. Damn you, Kryptonian Greens!

stealinghome I like that the show is delving into the questionable morality of Kara's mom. Supporting the idiots who got Krypton blown up is not a great life choice.

I'm liking that the villains actually DO seem to be motivated by more than just being evil. Admitedly Nom seems a bit one note so far, but we haven't seen much of him.

tennisgurl  Holding out for Krypto!

Can anyone say what Krypto's background was? Was he a Kryptonian pet that just happened to look like a dog, did he get a transfusion of Clark's blood or was he bitten by a radioactive hamster (OK, one of those is a joke - I'll let you guess which!)?

ETA: Thanks legaleagle53 for that remarkably quick response!

Edited by John Potts

I am also rather surprised that based upon Facinelli and Flockhart’s chemistry, that they went gungho towards Lord/Alex instead.

Then I wasn't the only one who saw that scene between them and immediately thought that the show was setting us up for the revelation that Maxwell and Cat had once been lovers/married and that he was the father of at least one of her children?

Can anyone say what Krypto's background was? Was he a Kryptonian pet that just happened to look like a dog, did he get a transfusion of Clark's blood or was he bitten by a radioactive hamster (OK, one of those is a joke - I'll let you guess which!)?

The first.  He was baby Kal's pet puppy on Krypton.  Jor-El sent Krypto to Earth shortly before Krypton exploded in an experimental prototype of the rocket that later carried Kal there.  Master and pet eventually reunited on Earth when Kal had reached his mid-teens.

Edited by legaleagle53

ETA: Thanks legaleagle53 for that remarkably quick response!

To avoid clutter, I typed what I recall here (in the Supergirl Family in Comics topic)

EDIT - Whoops. Should have been faster!

Edited by Kromm

Then I wasn't the only one who saw that scene between them and immediately thought that the show was setting us up for the revelation that Maxwell and Cat had once been lovers/married and that he was the father of at least one of her children?

No, not just you, lol.  (And, I suppose, even more likely since they/Cat took us through that portentous long story about "my careful-pausey, eye-rolley unmentionable ex").  

• Love 1

But it would make no sense for Kara to "deflect" the idea when she's already admitted to Cat that she is Supergirl.  The far better course would be for Kara to tell her that James and Wynn also know and introduce her to the Fortress of Supergilitude that has been in existence under Cat's nose for some time now.

Kara's freak-out about Cat figuring out her secret makes absolutely no sense to me.  First of all, Superman keeps his identity secret to protect the ones he loves.  Clark, as part of cannon, went out of his way to keep Lois, et. al, safe.  By comparison, a legion of people know Kara's secret ID and are willingly immersed in her adventures.  Also, as other posters have pointed out, Cat has been her biggest supporter, now feels indebted to her, and clearly represents no threat.  Plus, Kara sucks at keeping her identity secret, making jokes to random Baristas about being an alien.  Until another poster pointed it out, I didn't even notice she wears the same earrings in both identities.  Maybe she should just drop the secret identity trope and go the Fantastic Four route, let everyone know who you are.  At the rate she's going, that's probably going to happen anyway.  I'm going to have a hard time sticking with this show if they pull some tired ruse like a mind-wipe or double to fool Cat.  Be bold Berlanti.  You opened the door, now walk through it.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 4

There's also the aspect that Kara Danvers is a nobody. She could just disappear and take on a different secret identity. Clark has been lucky that Superman's alter ego is still who he was when he grew up. I think Helen Slater wore a dark wig in "Supergirl" as Linda. Barbara Gordon wore a red wig when she was Batgirl in the Batman TV series.

How many people did Kara kill when she shoved her aunt through that building ?  Sure, she saved the people on the ground from the falling debris, but what about the people IN the building at the time ?

The worst thing that can happen for your hometown is for super heroes to be based there. The Avengers, Spider-man, Supergirl ... you do NOT want those people nearby, because it only leads to downtown destruction.

• Love 4

Kara's freak-out about Cat figuring out her secret makes absolutely no sense to me.  First of all, Superman keeps his identity secret to protect the ones he loves.  Clark, as part of cannon, went out of his way to keep Lois, et. al, safe.  By comparison, a legion of people know Kara's secret ID and are willingly immersed in her adventures.  Also, as other posters have pointed out, Cat has been her biggest supporter, now feels indebted to her, and clearly represents no threat.  Plus, Kara sucks at keeping her identity secret, making jokes to random Baristas about being an alien.  Until another poster pointed it out, I didn't even notice she wears the same earrings in both identities.  Maybe she should just drop the secret identity trope and go the Fantastic Four route, let everyone know who you are.  At the rate she's going, that's probably going to happen anyway.  I'm going to have a hard time sticking with this show if they pull some tired ruse like a mind-wipe or double to fool Cat.  Be bold Berlanti.  You opened the door, now walk through it.

There is an X factor about Cat knowing that Kara should worry about. 

Of the other people who know -- Superman, Alex, Mama Danvers, Henshaw/Martian Manhunter, Jimmy, and Winn -- most have personal affection and respect for Kara and can be trusted on that level. "Henshaw" by definition acts covertly and can thus be entrusted to keep a secret even without factoring that he is Martian Manhunter and one of the good guys. Most have known about Kara's secret for years. Jimmy, presumably, knew of Kara for some time, and has proven himself more or less trustworthy with SM. Not sure why, but Kara trusts Winn and considers him her best friend. I think almost all have put their physical safety or their freedom at risk defending Kara.

Cat, by contrast, does not have the personal relationship yet with "Keira" for her to be confident that will keep her in her corner, come what may. Cat is a publisher, in the business of spreading information. And while Cat's current interest is in branding Supergirl  as Catco's own, Cat is (at least to my eyes) mercurial and profit-driven. If she decides that there's more money to be made from trashing Supergirl, then she'll rip SG so often she will make classic JJJ look like Spider-Man's biggest fan by comparison. Let's not forget that her original piece on Supergirl blasted her as a spoiled millenial before she decided to align herself with her. Cat planned with Supergirl to defeat Live Wire, but Cat's life was already at risk. As much as I like Cat, I do not see her putting much at risk to defend Kara. Finally, Cat is given to speaking whatever is on her mind without thinking much about the consequences. I don't see it as farfetched that she would inadvertently reveal Kara's secret.

In the Supergirlverse, Clark has told Jimmy who he really is, and possibly/probably others close to him. There is a difference between telling someone because you trust them and someone finding out. 

I do agree that Kara and Team Supergirl have babbled about her secret far too openly. I hope that the powers that be use the fact of Cat's knowing to tighten down on talking about it everywhere and anywhere.

There is an X factor about Cat knowing that Kara should worry about. 

Of the other people who know -- Superman, Alex, Mama Danvers, Henshaw/Martian Manhunter, Jimmy, and Winn -- most have personal affection and respect for Kara and can be trusted on that level. "Henshaw" by definition acts covertly and can thus be entrusted to keep a secret even without factoring that he is Martian Manhunter and one of the good guys. Most have known about Kara's secret for years. Jimmy, presumably, knew of Kara for some time, and has proven himself more or less trustworthy with SM. Not sure why, but Kara trusts Winn and considers him her best friend. I think almost all have put their physical safety or their freedom at risk defending Kara.

Cat, by contrast, does not have the personal relationship yet with "Keira" for her to be confident that will keep her in her corner, come what may. Cat is a publisher, in the business of spreading information. And while Cat's current interest is in branding Supergirl  as Catco's own, Cat is (at least to my eyes) mercurial and profit-driven. If she decides that there's more money to be made from trashing Supergirl, then she'll rip SG so often she will make classic JJJ look like Spider-Man's biggest fan by comparison. Let's not forget that her original piece on Supergirl blasted her as a spoiled millenial before she decided to align herself with her. Cat planned with Supergirl to defeat Live Wire, but Cat's life was already at risk. As much as I like Cat, I do not see her putting much at risk to defend Kara. Finally, Cat is given to speaking whatever is on her mind without thinking much about the consequences. I don't see it as farfetched that she would inadvertently reveal Kara's secret.

In the Supergirlverse, Clark has told Jimmy who he really is, and possibly/probably others close to him. There is a difference between telling someone because you trust them and someone finding out. 

I do agree that Kara and Team Supergirl have babbled about her secret far too openly. I hope that the powers that be use the fact of Cat's knowing to tighten down on talking about it everywhere and anywhere.

Kara has worked closely enough with Cat to know many secrets that Cat would not want revealed, especially Adam Foster. Cat was willing to give up everything to protect her son from a media scandal. She would also see the value in keeping Kara's secret and the access that would come with Kara allowing Cat "exclusives", which Cat can then publish and sell. In my opinion, Cat has every reason to keep Kara's secret.

But yes, in terms of the general public, they all need to learn how to keep their mouths shut.

• Love 4

Cat was willing to give up her position to keep her son from a media scandal, but that's her son.  She can't even remember Kara's name half the time.

It's true she might hesitate to lose her exclusive access to Supergirl or because Kara knows her secrets.  But those are things that come from her profit/loss balance sheet, not from a moral imperative to keep Kara's secret as the others have.

ETA:  I wonder what camp Lucy Lane would be in.  Would she want to tell her father and the government, or keep the secret because it's important to James and Kara?

Edited by statsgirl

Cat was willing to give up her position to keep her son from a media scandal, but that's her son.  She can't even remember Kara's name half the time.

It's true she might hesitate to lose her exclusive access to Supergirl or because Kara knows her secrets.  But those are things that come from her profit/loss balance sheet, not from a moral imperative to keep Kara's secret as the others have.

ETA:  I wonder what camp Lucy Lane would be in.  Would she want to tell her father and the government, or keep the secret because it's important to James and Kara?

Sorry, I don't think I made my point clear regarding Cat's son - I mean that Kara could easily blackmail Cat with information about her son or any number of other pieces of information Kara has learned through working as Cat's assistant, not that Cat would be willing to fall on her own sword for Kara the same way she did for Adam. If Cat was willing to step down from CatCo in order to protect Adam, I am fairly sure she would keep Kara's secret in order to protect Adam.

I'm not sure which camp Lucy would be in. I really don't like her character and would be happy if she never showed up on my screen again. I can't even point to a specific reason why.

I'm going to go on a rant here for a little bit.

The whole "Adam Foster's my secret love child who Imma keep secret" doesn't make much sense to me.

Unlike a male executive, Cat presumably spent 9 months pregnant with Adam. Surely others noticed her pregnancy. We were told that this happened as she was starting Catco. At that point, she was also presumably a reporter of some note and a public figure. Certainly since, she has become a public figure. You mean to tell me that for 12-20+ years, no one knew of the connection between Adam and Cat? 

Ok, rant over. BTW, do we know who the father of Carter is, or what has happened to him?

Edited by Chicago Redshirt

BTW, do we know who the father of Carter is, or what has happened to him?

No, that hasn't been revealed yet, which is why after the one scene of Cat and Maxwell Lord together, I had half-expected a reveal that they were once married/lovers and that he was Carter's (or now possibly Adam's) baby daddy.

We know Carter's father is still around, because Cat mentioned that Carter was with his father for Thanksgiving. We just haven't been introduced to him yet.

I'm not sure how Cat kept her pregnancy with Adam a secret. Maybe it was winter and she wore lots of bulky clothes, maybe she "fell ill" and took time off, maybe she retreated from the public eye under the guise of some new project for her company. Maybe she paid off the people who did know.

At this point, that seems like a relatively small thing for me to hand-wave away.

I got the impression that Cat was married when she had Adam.  Even if she wasn't, she fought a court case for custody and that would have been a matter of public record if anyone wanted to look it up.

Maybe Adam isn't really a secret, it's just that she feels guilty about staying away from him for so long and she doesn't want the hard spotlight of the media disturbing his life.

This presumes Lucy doesn't already know and isn't already there spying for General Lane.

Maybe Adam isn't really a secret, it's just that she feels guilty about staying away from him for so long and she doesn't want the hard spotlight of the media disturbing his life.

Yeah, I didn't think Adam was so much a secret child as much as he was a not-well-publicized child. 

• Love 1

Yeah, I didn't think Adam was so much a secret child as much as he was a not-well-publicized child. 

Then why would Cat sending him a Christmas card and some money every month create a media storm that prompts her to step down to protect him?

Cat's a very public figure, and if TMZ and the gossip sites found out that Adam is her son, they would be stalking him for pictures and interviews, hanging outside his  home and following him to his workplace.

It seemed to me that Cat felt guilty for not being the kind of mother he should have had and that's why she would quit rather than subjecting him to that.

• Love 3

The worst thing that can happen for your hometown is for super heroes to be based there. The Avengers, Spider-man, Supergirl ... you do NOT want those people nearby, because it only leads to downtown destruction.

But think about the boon it'd be for contractors, engineers, architects, expediters.  (Why yes I am in the engineering/expediting field.)

Edited by fastiller
  • Love 2

Actionmage And glaziers! The window folks would live like kings and queens!

...which might be alright if your house is levelled by random passing superheroes, but it'd suck if you were planning getting an extension built. You'd keep having calls going, "Yeah, sorry we couldn't make it round today, but Doomsday crashed through downtown and we've run out of glass. We should get back to you next week, if Zod doesn't land by then..."

• Love 1

On the plus side, if you can set up a Damage Control type of business, where you cater to victims of superhero nonsense (especially if you can also partner with an insurance company) you'd make a killing.

• Love 1

I'm pretty sure that I spotted American Ninja Warrior,  Jessie Graff, as the blonde that someone upthread referred to as "halitosis breath" in the big fight scene at the end.  Per ANW, she is a stunt woman on Supergirl, so I've been trying to spot her on the DVDs.