Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E09: Cold As Ice

With the holidays in full swing, a search for Julian leads Damon and Stefan to a small town outside of Mystic Falls. While managing a holiday toy drive at Whitmore College, Bonnie seeks help from Nora and the two strike up an unlikely friendship. Elsewhere, Caroline does her best to navigate her new life as a pregnant vampire, while Alaric grows concerned that the pregnancy is effecting her more than she’s letting on. Finally, after finding himself at odds with Damon, Stefan is forced to take matters into his own hands, setting off a tragic chain of events that leaves their lives changed forever.

Can't quote right now but on the dwelling issue...No I think a dorm room isn't actually OWNED by Bonnie. It belongs to the university, Bonnie just stays there. The show has been pretty solid on the ownership rule. That's why they kept signing over property to people.

Stefan tries to go full Damon and gets both of the Salvatore brothers Phoenix Stoned and Bonnie captured. I think there is a reason why the gang typically leaves the revenging to Damon. Meanwhile, Caroline and Ric are in some weirdo accidental vampire pregnancy romcom.

• Love 4

Well I may end up at a table for one but I think that was an excellent mid season cliffhanger!

Never saw both Salvatores ending up in the Phoenix Stone!! Well done, TVD! I can't wait to watch this one again.

I'll pull up a chair. The cliffhanger was done very well. It was starting to look like at least one of them would end up there but I didn't see both coming. Nora's appearance at the end was well done.

Though I couldn't help feeling sorry for both Bonnie & Damon who were victims of Stefan's poorly thought out plan.

There was something there between Bonnie & Nora. I'm not sure if the show will go there and it appears Nora is team heretic once agani but I saw some sparks.

• Love 1

I'll pull up a chair. The cliffhanger was done very well. It was starting to look like at least one of them would end up there but I didn't see both coming. Nora's appearance at the end was well done.

Though I couldn't help feeling sorry for both Bonnie & Damon who were victims of Stefan's poorly thought out plan.

There was something there between Bonnie & Nora. I'm not sure if the show will go there and it appears Nora is team heretic once agani but I saw some sparks.

And I will join you both! This was one of the better cliffhangers they've done for a while. Although I'm trying to figure out the day change to Fridays. Just how is that going to work with Reign already sitting on that day and both VD and The Originals moving to Friday?

• Love 2

Hmm, I was bored the entire episode. I'm tired of Carolyn & her mutant pregnancy, I'm tired of the heretics, I'm really tired of Mary Louis & Nora, I'm tired of Julian & I'm tired of the Salvatore brothers & their plots that never work. The fact that the show is moving to Friday nights tells me that a lot of other people feel the same way.  

• Love 1

Nice twist seeing both of them end up in the stone together. 

I liked Bonnie and Nora's friendship before it blew up. 

Just how is that going to work with Reign already sitting on that day and both VD and The Originals moving to Friday?

Reign goes on hiatus on Jan 22. TVD and The Originals return on Jan 29th.

• Love 1

Hmm, I was bored the entire episode. I'm tired of Carolyn & her mutant pregnancy, I'm tired of the heretics, I'm really tired of Mary Louis & Nora, I'm tired of Julian & I'm tired of the Salvatore brothers & their plots that never work. The fact that the show is moving to Friday nights tells me that a lot of other people feel the same way.

Except every time they've moved The Originals they've had an uptick in viewers. Which is not surprising because it's by far a better show than this one in my opinion, of course YMMV. That does not bode well for Reign, I am going to miss the costumes on that show along with Catherine when they cancel it as it probably will be.

Edited by missbonnie
  • Love 2

This episode made me realize what a horrible experience it would be to have someone like Caroline in your birthing class. I know we're supposed to think oh, Caroine and her type A personality, what a card! But what I was really thinking was how bad I felt for everyone else in her birthing class having to listen to her do that every week.

The main issue I had with Stefan is that when Damon, DAMON of all people, is telling you to regroup/take a pause/get more backup/walk away from a confrontation, you really should listen. Damon has done some reckless things, but his sense of self-preservation is strong. He knows when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em, when to walk away, and when to run. Like Damon said, yes, Julian should die, but not if that means either Damon or Stefan dying in the process. Not only is Julian older and stronger, he had a bunch of minions to help him. Stefan and Damon were outnumbered so of course their original plan needed to be revised.

And just FYI - if you're going to do something like kidnap a heretic as part of your revenge plot, maybe give the other people you know a heads up so they can avoid being knocked out, accosted, or otherwise attacked in retaliation for a plan that they know nothing about and are not a part of.

Side note: a google search turned up a Sunbury in Ohio and another in Pennsylvania. I don't think that a two hour flight really counts as "flying across the country." Try taking the Southwest Airlines tour of America flight from California to Florida with a million stops, dude.

Do you think I will need to remember the names/histories of Julian's friends? Just in case, there's Rafael the terrible painter from Florence in the 1600s, Robin from the Massachusetts convent in 1802, Seth who Julian rescued from a claimjumper during the California gold rush, and then the new token Asian guy (RIP Oscar) who Julian met in Portland last week. The best part about that scene was imagining Julian telling the four of them, "Okay, I want to be SUPER dramatic about this, so would you guys just stay right outside the door until I say the right phrase and then you guys can stomp in and look totally menacing?"

I didn't like Mary Louise before and her behavior in the past two episodes has done nothing to improve that. How dare your girlfriend break up with you after your propose? Apparently getting engaged is a binding contract and you're stuck with each other no matter what once you accept a ring. I couldn't believe that once she actually saw Nora in person, the first thing she asked was if Nora was going to apologize to her. Girl, STFU.

• Love 3

This episode made me realize what a horrible experience it would be to have someone like Caroline in your birthing class. I know we're supposed to think oh, Caroine and her type A personality, what a card! But what I was really thinking was how bad I felt for everyone else in her birthing class having to listen to her do that every week.

Which made those people gossiping about Caroline so dumb that they deserved for her to rip their throats out. Even if she and Alaric WERE sleeping together and he knocked her up, you can bet that her A in his class was earned judging from the five minutes of the birthing class that I saw. Caroline throws herself full barrel into everything she does, you can bet she's one hell of a student.

Apropos of nothing, I was highly amused that Caroline's pregnancy craving was marshmallow fluff mixed with blood. It must also be a horrible experience to be Caroline's roommate if you're a human.

This episode needed 85% more Julian who is still super great, and 85% less Nora/Mary Louise. Also not thrilled Valerie survives and is with Stefan three years ahead. Meh. I may not be big on Stefan/Caroline, but C'MON I give even less of a shit about Stefan/Valerie.

• Love 1
When will I get to see these heretics die long painful deaths? When?

My only disagreement is when you say "long" deaths.  If they're long, the Heretics will still be on screen while they're dying.  I say quick deaths.  Even better, how about when the next episode opens we have another big time jump and somebody just quickly says "hey, remember the Heretics and how they seemed like a big threat but then they all just suddenly died and no one ever saw them ever again?"  And then we don't see them. Ever again.

• Love 4

Well we haven't seen any of them except Valerie in the future so there is hope. If Nora is written more like she was when she was with Bonnie she can stay. But Mary Louise needs to die STAT! 

• Love 3

My only disagreement is when you say "long" deaths. If they're long, the Heretics will still be on screen while they're dying. I say quick deaths. Even better, how about when the next episode opens we have another big time jump and somebody just quickly says "hey, remember the Heretics and how they seemed like a big threat but then they all just suddenly died and no one ever saw them ever again?" And then we don't see them. Ever again.

I can't like this comment enough

• Love 1

I don't know how I'm feeling about this show.  I enjoyed the episode, I think, and I was interested going into it, but the plot elements are just...I think I mostly just want to know what's going on with the 3 years ahead story.  I'm also curious about the commandos from last week or the one before.  The heretics don't bother me, but I also don't care because they haven't really done that much.

I suppose I'd like to find out more about why Stefan wouldn't bring the self-cloaking heretic to either of the attempts to kill Julian.  Invisibility is a huge bonus, why leave her babysitting?

As far as this cliffhanger, it's not so much of one since we've seen them both in the flash forward.  I'm mostly left wondering about Bonnie.  Was she captured or just drained of magic and left in her room?  

I hope they adjust their pacing in the second half.  One of the things that I've enjoyed about this show in the past is that they burn through plot.  I need a bit more speed.

• Love 3

So both brothers ended up in the stone. I knew one of them would, and I kept changing my mind about which one it would be so I was sucker punched when Nora pushed that sword into Stefan as well. Well done TVD, you got me there.

This also sets the stage for the women to take the lead in rescuing the men, since Enzo is also incapacitated by Matt and crew, I will look forward to that.

What I'm not looking forward to is seeing the boys suffer in that dreaded stone, it looks awful.

Did Stefan not get the memo yet? You are not Damon, you suck at revenge, and you suck at plans. Just stop, And while we are at it, stop trying to guilt shame Damon into forgiving his mother, just because you have. ugh!

Caroline was just awful for most of this ep, but I admit to feeling a bit weepy during her graveside chat with her Mom. It's the most normal reaction I have seen from her during this whole BS baby drama.

Bonnie and Nora- this is so going to be a thing. Told ya !

Where the hell is Enzo, Matt etc?

The heretic love drama is still boring, and takes up way to much screen time. They are only interesting when paired with one of the original cast.

• Love 3

I watched online and was wondering what everybody was talking meant by both brothers getting stabbed, the last thing I saw was Stefan kneeling over Damon...then I put it back on and saw that I turned it off too soon :(

Bonnie and Nora...how trite.  Guess what, show?  It's possible for homosexuals to be friends with people of the same sex.

• Love 1

I'm kind of confused by Damon ending up on a battlefield looking like he got a gut wound. Afaik, he was never shot like that, so it can't have been an actual memory? Does the Phoenix Stone make vampires feel like they're living out their greatest fears? (Or anything more specific than just "going through hell"?)

The episode was super boring imo, except for the last big fight scene between Damon, Julian, Stefan, and (eventually) Nora.

I'm kind of confused by Damon ending up on a battlefield looking like he got a gut wound. Afaik, he was never shot like that, so it can't have been an actual memory? Does the Phoenix Stone make vampires feel like they're living out their greatest fears? (Or anything more specific than just "going through hell"?)

The episode was super boring imo, except for the last big fight scene between Damon, Julian, Stefan, and (eventually) Nora.

I'm fuzzy on the details but didn't Damon go to war as a human? Or maybe it was after he turned by I remember some kind of flashback with him in a soldier costume...

Damon fought in the Civil War and deserted in 1864 (I am pretty sure). Stefan told their father that Damon left because he disagreed with the war, but it was strongly hinted that Katherine was the real reason for his sudden "moral objections." However, I also have my own personal head cannon that Damon truly was repulsed by the violence that he saw on the front and ran away because it was more than he could handle. Hence why that battlefield would be his own personal version of hell.

edited to make sarcasm more clear...

Edited by LeafontheWind
  • Love 1

I liked Nora his episode till she drained Bonnie. I kinda liked she stabbed Stefan, he had it coming with his horrible plan and it's his fault Damon is in there. I liked Bonnie and Nora's temporary friendship. I have to admit that I find Nora beautiful and wouldn't mind a bisexual character on TVD, tv often forgets we exist, and I could never get into her and ML who I find boring and stiff, Nora, on the other hand, is very charming and cute and could do much better. Poor Damon was stable for some time and now my go wild again after the stone makes him crazy...Stefan is also set for hell relieving his Ripper years. Actually, having both Salvatore brothers unhinged and maybe going on crazy rampages might be fun to watch. Also, I might explain Stefan's and Caroline's break up, as well as Rick and Damon being less close in the future.

Rick and Caroline gross me out knowing they are going to get together.

About Stefan and Valer zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Edited by Dorne2.0

I watched this one again and I really did like it.

I don't care about Julian though, he can go away anytime. I don't think he's CW pretty enough either.

It'll be interesting to see the Salvatore brothers individual hells. I'm looking forward to January regardless of what night it's on!

I hate hiatus!!