Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E27: Mexican Standoff

• Start Topic

That is a really, really cute look on Brenda!

I loved this episode. I hated agreeing with Brandon though--it's ridiculous that they were ever going to even let Brenda go. There's a big difference between trying not to judge your daughter's sexuality and sending her off for a weekend love shack getaway with her studly stick figure boyfriend.

• Love 1

I was an Andrew Shue girl for Melrose Place, but I loved me some Grant when he showed up here.

Why are the legs of Brenda's shorts two very different lengths?
I had to go back up and look--wtf? One leg has one roll up, but that wouldn't explain the huge discrepancy. And I was really bothered with Dylan wearing jean shorts over his sleeveless wet suit.

Andrea's sweater looks like the opening credits of Saved by the Bell.
Dead on.

Why is Brandon wearing a scrubs top? Was that a regular thing?

• Love 1

Oh man, I luuuuuuuurrrrrrrrve me some Grant Show! I watched Point Pleasant because of him! It actually wasn't so bad!

Brenda leaving the country with no I.D. is truly brainless.

"A talk-o" dun dun DUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNN! Cracked me up!

• Love 1

The sax theme was hilarious awful and poor Zuckerman, that sweater is horrible.

How do you not bring I.D. to a foreign country?

Also I feel for Brandon. I had a similar situation. My sister went overseas a lot with the parents' money and I was told I would get the chance. I never did except when I had to use my own money. So yeah feel for Brandon. Though all the giffing of Brandon can be used in so many ways actually. 

Edited by SoupThrower

That clip of Jim and Brandon talking about Brenda was vomit-inducing. It's astounding to see how differently the show treated Brenda and Brandon. It's practically Elizabethan. Cindy and Brenda are treated like simpletons while Sir Brandon, Duke of Walsh is basically being groomed to become the family patriarch just in case Jim dies of the pox.

Also, it kind of breaks my heart to see in retrospect that Andrea was regularly written as a joke. I don't remember feeling like the show had this level of open disdain for her. She feels a like a punching bag now.

• Love 4

Even as I love Brenda's Day-One-in-Mexico outfit I'm kinda a massive fan of the red stripes outfit. But this is the lifelong allegiance I, as another dark brunette with pale skin, I have pledged to Red. That said, I can kinda recreate the other outfit so I should get onto that.

Also, I remember watching Melrose with my mother in my early teens. Mum thought Grant Show was a very pretty man, though she was most amused by Andrew Shue. This was the first time I remember my mother crushing on famous men. Milestone? 

Oh smiley Dylan. Oy. Summer of deception, coming our way. And I for one can't wait...

STAY OUT OF IT BRANDON.

Edited by kite-wombat
  • Love 1

Red outfit >>> Green outfit

When these episodes first aired I remember finding it really weird that they dressed Brenda in two outfits that were really distinctive and exactly the same except for the colour (and the thickness of the stripes, maybe?) only a couple of episodes apart, but I actually really appreciate how realistic it was. The look worked for her and so of course she had it in several colours. They did this well, with the green shirt and even (sorry) Dylan's Baha tops and overalls. The characters that would have cared about clothes and had the money to spend on them all the time had TV wardrobes which never repeated, but the rest had their favourites that got worn all the time.  

(My opinion may or may not be influenced by the fact that the a-line-skirt-and-bodysuit thing was pretty much my uniform as a teen.) 

• Love 1

Brandon doesn't want Brenda to go on the trip because no one will ever care enough about Brandon to go anywhere with him unless it's to take him to a graveyard and force him to dig his own grave.

:: crosses fingers ::

• Love 2

Could we give an honorary LVP mention to John Steinbeck? If the book and movie weren't so long and boring for high school students, then Brenda doesn't miss curfew, she has the official blessing to go to Mexico, and none of this crap happens. Furthermore, we won't be subjected to the insufferable "I told you so" gloating that will be spewing next episode from His Brayness Sir Brandon, Duke of Walsh (tm marceline).

• Love 2

The whole going to Mexico without ID makes me so furious. I went to Mexico with my brothers as a minor in the early 90s and I was told that I had to either have my passport or my driver's license and a motorized document basically putting me into my brother's custody in order to get back into the US. The idea that this dummy didn't even think about her ID is so ridiculous. Why oh why couldn't they have had her lose it in Mexico or something? Because I get the desire to have her get busted, but I can't with the idea that Dylan didn't make sure she had ID if he makes this trip as often as he supposedly does. 

The whole going to Mexico without ID makes me so furious. I went to Mexico with my brothers as a minor in the early 90s and I was told that I had to either have my passport or my driver's license and a motorized document basically putting me into my brother's custody in order to get back into the US. The idea that this dummy didn't even think about her ID is so ridiculous. Why oh why couldn't they have had her lose it in Mexico or something? Because I get the desire to have her get busted, but I can't with the idea that Dylan didn't make sure she had ID if he makes this trip as often as he supposedly does. 

But THAT's why Dylan is "mad, bad and dangerous to know." [/cheesy electric guitar]

• Love 4

I love that Andrea is clueless and loser-y enough to try and invite herself on Dylan and Brenda's Mexican sex-cation.   

How do you not bring I.D. to a foreign country?

I think Brenda did bring ID, but her purse was stolen. 

Her purse was stolen when she met Mr Pony at the Peach Pit. She didn't take anything to Mexico IIRC.

My bad.  Then yes, Brenda is an idiot for not bringing any ID to Mexico.  I can't wait for the next episode when Brenda and Dylan class things up by having a makeout session while they wait for Jim to pick up Brenda at the holding pen, and I think the Z Plot is Andrea whining because she thinks she wasn't invited to her quasi-friend's mother's wedding.  

I'll also admit I nearly died at Sarah's comment about having her cats as bridesmaids.  It was just too funny.   

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 1

I can't believe that all this time I didn't know that Grant Show's name rhymes with now, not with no. Bad jeans-pocket actor or not, those cheekbones got me to watch Melrose Place (although it was interesting to see how handsomeness does not equal charisma, as Billy stole the audience's attention...) That sax-plus-rhodes piano -- aieeee.

I have been squinting and squinting at the "La Boca Grande" hotel sign... "Hotel Carlanteyz" ... buhh? It's driving me nuts.

And Gordon Lightfoot's ad got me right in the feels too, just like YoSaffBridge.

I love the idea of your cats' friends being in your backyard wedding, Sarah D. Bunting.

The whole kid's friends in the wedding party is repeated in Dawson's Creek where Joey is Dawson's mom's maid of honour in the idiotic re-marriage. (Also the episode with Dawson's legendary cry face.)

• Love 1

I can't believe that all this time I didn't know that Grant Show's name rhymes with now, not with no.

I caught Sarah's pronunciation too. Does it really rhyme with 'now', not 'no'? How odd.

• Love 1

How did you not talk for the entire time about Dylan's outsized hair tiny tank top (wet suit top?) baggy jeans combo. He looks like he's auditioning for a very special Baywatch episode in which he plays the dying stick insect wanting to surf one last time.

Either that or he's running from the meth lab right before it explodes. 

Edited by STOPSHOUTING
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

I had never seen this episode before and caught it on the DVD (it's not on CBS All Access). I like it! Brinda and Dylan's making up was adorable and very real-feeling. They are manifestly so much better than him and Kelly--they seem to have a genuine emotional connection whereas, as someone so astutely pointed out, Kelly and Dylan's connection is about the thrill of cheating. That opening shot of Brinda's denim legs on top of Dylan's denim legs made me giggle--how very '90s! And ugh, the colossally terrible luck of falling asleep and missing curfew, after convincing the 'rents to let you go. The whole struggle between Brinda/Dylan trying to assert their tentative independence and Jim's very reasonable "hey, you want to play, you need to toe the line" is painfully real. This is the story at age 17. 

BRANDON, STAY OUT OF IT.

Jake is kind of a negging dick to Kelly.

Ohhhhhndrea omg THAT SWEATER