Type keyword(s) to search

MSNBC: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Vaulted)

23 minutes ago, jjj said:

Still not watching past the first minute, so you all let us know if we should watch later. 

Only if you haven't eaten today. 

"Corollarily..."  Really?  Really????  That's just my inner grammar police having a fit at a former network anchor's neologism.  Never mind the complete lack of substance.  Never mind that I learned nothing new.  I'm just so relieved at realizing at the end it's only a half hour.  Shouldn't it be the "Eleventh Half hour?"  But the second half hour more Hardball, so no break for us in this hour.

Dan Rather's mistake wasn't nearly as egregious, and he had a much longer and more distinguised career, yet he is relegated to some obscure cable network while this guy is back in the saddle.  All kinds of wrong.

• Love 8
34 minutes ago, ktwo said:

Yay for Rachel still repeating at midnight, since that's when I end up catching her a lot of the time. Boo for no Chris Hayes repeat until 3 am, though.

Yes, the Chris Hayes hour is one of the best on the network, and I also usually catch it on the first repeat, which is 8:00 PM PT.  I'll have to try to watch the first airing more closely on my iPod at work.  It bugs that Chris Hayes is losing exposure because of BW. 

Lawrence had a panel of three to discuss the election.  Lawrence went first to Boris Epshteyn, a Trump surrogate, who blathered his blather without interruption.  But when Lawrence went to David Corn to refute the blather, Epshteyn interruped, talked over, wouldn't let Corn or the other panelist -- whose name I have forgotten -- finish even a single sentence.  Lawrence tried to shut Epshteyn down, but it was futile.  Lawrence needed to cut Epshteyn's mic until a question had been directed to Epshteyn.  

• Love 1
On 9/1/2016 at 11:11 AM, Padma said:

I generally don't like Mika, but when she saw the teleprompter was giving her quotes about how wonderful Trump was from Ann Coulter, she insisted she wouldn't read it or her name on the show, that someone had made her aware how hateful and dishonest Coulter was and she just wasn't giving her any more publicity.

To me, this was just Me-eka repeating her Paris Hilton stunt that launched the show in the first place.  Me-eka knows which side her bread is buttered on.

• Love 1
On 9/2/2016 at 7:56 PM, car54 said:

I'd rather have seen Lester or Chuck Todd and Rachel do it.  

Toad is only okay with Rachel though, never alone.

Savannah and Chuck make a very good team.

Sorry - I'm bad at the edit include another quote function on this site...

Chuck and Savannah, just like Chuck and Rachel are very good together - they have good chemistry and there is a pleasant ying-yang thing going on with both pairings.  Chuck on his own his horrible, in my estimation.  He started okay after his long stint on C-SPAN but he's become far too inside baseball.  I think he's every bit as obnoxious as David Gregory - I wish someone like Gwen Ifil from PBS would have been given MTP after Russert's death.

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, 33kaitykaity said:

Lawrence had a panel of three to discuss the election.  Lawrence went first to Boris Epshteyn, a Trump surrogate, who blathered his blather without interruption.  But when Lawrence went to David Corn to refute the blather, Epshteyn interruped, talked over, wouldn't let Corn or the other panelist -- whose name I have forgotten -- finish even a single sentence.  Lawrence tried to shut Epshteyn down, but it was futile.  Lawrence needed to cut Epshteyn's mic until a question had been directed to Epshteyn.  

That was so hard to watch.  I expected either Lawrence or David to say that no one interrupted Boris when he was talking.  I don't know if they have the ability to cut someone's mike but I wish they would.  Joy is the only one I've seen who can control these Trump people.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, NextIteration said:

Once again, MSNBC airing a full Trump appearance (heh, pre-empting Andrea Arms Mitchell) - they did that yesterday as well, relegating Clinton to a little box in the corner of the screen  It was noticed,

I haven't watched either network today, they're starting to turn me off again. I'll check in at 8PM. I guess they're only interested in attracting FoxNews viewers so...

If I get disgusted and turned off enough, I'll start skipping the evening programming too.

They'll have to show Clinton tonight with the veterans forum, I'm glad she's going first, so I can turn the channel and be done once she's finished.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, SierraMist said:

Joy is the only one I've seen who can control these Trump people.

She could give a clinic on how to manage spin doctors.  She absolutely refuses to let anyone dodge a question or 'answer' it by diverting attention somewhere else. 

• Love 10
16 minutes ago, cattykit said:

She could give a clinic on how to manage spin doctors.  She absolutely refuses to let anyone dodge a question or 'answer' it by diverting attention somewhere else. 

That's because the big boss hasn't threatened her yet to get on the Trump train for ratings.  Apparently he/she feels they can't threaten  Hayes, Maddow and Lawrence but Joy is only on, on the weekends and doesn't have a top rated show yet that I know of.  But I've already said that if they mess with her I'm done.  They went and tried to clean house, cut all their real progressive hosts/shows before the 8PM hour. They got rid of Alex Wagner's show and they need to bring her back because whenever she's filling in for someone she's a breath of fresh air and adds to the diversity, thank you very much. They should actually get rid of what's his name on With All Due Respect and let Alex co-host it. I think it's Halperin, he's annoying.

Edited by represent
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, represent said:

They got rid of Alex Wagner's show and they need to bring her back because whenever she's filling in for someone she's a breath of fresh air and adds to the diversity, thank you very much.

Alex is a a little busy to have a show all to her self with her new job.  Though she has awesome chemistry with H&H (the Game Change Boys) both on WADR and Showtime's The Circus.

1 hour ago, NextIteration said:

Alex is a a little busy to have a show all to her self with her new job.  Though she has awesome chemistry with H&H (the Game Change Boys) both on WADR and Showtime's The Circus.

Yeah, I know she works for The Atlantic.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, 33kaitykaity said:

Boris is, to me, the most aggressively annoying Trump-surrogate.

If we can all see it why can't the trained professionals figure out how to shut that asshole down? Emails! Foundation! Lying!

Or just don't have him on.

Gah!

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, NewDigs said:

Gah!

This. I don't understand the point of these guests. I don't like it when the Dems do the talking point thing either but these Trump bots are insufferable.

• Love 4

Even the Trump campaign got annoyed by some of their appearances. The person in charge of his surrogates sent out a memo (part of it in all caps) telling them they could no longer book their own interviews.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Even the Trump campaign got annoyed by some of their appearances. The person in charge of his surrogates sent out a memo (part of it in all caps) telling them they could no longer book their own interviews.

Well, Taco Truck Man did his team no favors, that's for sure.  Boris is insidiously good at what he does (and I have to mute him).  I blame interviewers for not taking control of their interviews.  Sort of the Crossfire effect.  I'm no fan of O'Reilly, but he has no problem pulling the plug on someone who he thinks is trying to color outside the lines.

Edited by cattykit
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, car54 said:

I hope Lester is paying attention to the backlash Lauer is getting.    Surely he can do better.

Exactly, take note Lester.

However, I put NBC up for first in line to blame, what fuck can be accomplished in a half/hour? Even Hillary mumbled as she left that stage, that it was short.  Did anyone else hear her? I did.

That being said, Matt Lauer is a loser, which is not news.

I hope all these news networks go down in flames, I hate them more than I hate Donald Trump and that's saying something for me.

You have got to be kidding me with their shock at Trump saying we should have taken the oil. Trump has been saying this since 2015. That's when I first heard him saying this shit on the big stage. And even "dumb" old voter me knew that didn't sound right.  You can't go into another country under any circumstance and steal their natural resources to benefit your own country. Are you fucking kidding me?   All you need is common sense for that one, that's all you need. Our soldiers would get in trouble if they stole money over there, they couldn't pocket it. Yet MSNBC and all their friends on other networks are acting like this is the first time they are hearing this. I feel about the media the way anti-Hillary folks feel about her, that there are different rules for her, that she never gets punished, that she's not held accountable... I feel like these ass wipes in the media, particular the ones at the top, who anchor shows, making six figures or more don't have to do their damn jobs like the rest of us and they still get paid, they still get to keep their jobs. 

They have had at least, if not more, a year, to be outraged at Trump saying we should have taken the oil.  But now that we are sixty something days away from the election day, they act as if he's never said this before. 

WHAT THE FUCK?

Edited by represent
  • Love 9

Lauer is a loser.  He seemed a little in awe of Trump (they all do).  And what was with him telling Hillary she should list her qualifications to be commander in chief without criticizing her opponent.  And then telling Trump the same thing but to keep the criticisms to a minimum (which of course Trump did not do). I can't believe that anyone thought Trump was great.  He seemed to flounder on most of the questions.  And saying that the intelligence briefing people somehow conveyed to him that they were not happy with Obama was clearly made up and I hope that comes back to bite him in the ass.  He was just itching to say something about that briefing that only he was privvy to.  Lawrence asked David Ignatius if he thought the intelligence people would respond to that and Ignatius didn't think they would.  I tend to agree (because they are professional) but I wish they would come out and contradict him.

Edited by SierraMist
  • Love 7

Oh, if Gary Johnson wanted to make a case for the federal legalization of marijuana, he just shut that case down this morning on Morning Joe, LOL.

He had to be high, seriously high. I have not seen MJ in a long time and I picked the perfect morning to tune in. The camera zooming in on Mika's phone was everything along with her facial expression. I could not stop laughing. Yeah, that was good tv, terrifying, yet good.

Edited by represent
  • Love 4
38 minutes ago, represent said:

However, I put NBC up for first in line to blame, what fuck can be accomplished in a half/hour? Even Hillary mumbled as she left that stage, that it was short.  Did anyone else hear her? I did.

I hadn't paid attention to the schedule and assumed each candidate would get an hour and was amazed/appalled when at 8:30ish they finished up with Clinton. What a waste. You have the audience and the much-touted locale. Just spend the extra hour. There's certainly enough to talk about.

You have got to be kidding me with their shock at Trump saying we should have taken the oil. Trump has been saying this since 2015. That's when I first heard him saying this shit on the big stage. And even "dumb" old voter me knew that didn't sound right.  You can't go into another country under any circumstance and steal their natural resources to benefit your own country. Are you fucking kidding me?  

I agree, when I heard him say it I though, oh yeah, there he goes with his "take the oil" spiel, something he's said on and off for a while now. So the shock right now is a little hard to comprehend.  Sadly you probably won't hear any pushback from Clinton on this, given that her policy adviser Neera Tanden made the same argument years ago wrt Libya. And IIRC the Bush administration actually gave it thought Back during the invasion - the outrageous and colonialist idea that an invaded people would gratefully pay off their "liberators" with their natural resources.

• Love 2

Well evidently someone in Trump's security briefing has responded--MSNBC is reporting that people in the room are saying Trump was all wired up and interrupting the briefers to the point that Chris Christie had to tell him to settle down and listen.

• Love 1

MSNBC is reporting that people in the room are saying Trump was all wired up and interrupting the briefers to the point that Chris Christie had to tell him to settle down and listen.

Not Trump, one of his advisors, former General Mike Flynn.  From NBC News:

Meanwhile, three people with knowledge of the matter told NBC News that one of the advisers Trump brought to the briefing, retired general Mike Flynn, repeatedly interrupted the briefing with pointed questions.

Christie, the New Jersey governor and Trump adviser, touched Flynn's arm in an effort get him to calm down and let the officials continue, one of the sources said

Edited by pennben
  • Love 1

NYT TV critic says Matt Lauer Loses the War in a Battle Between the Candidates

The NBC presidential forum on Wednesday night in Manhattan brought together the candidates Hillary Clinton and Donald J. Trump to try to determine who has the strength, preparation and presence of mind to lead during a time of crisis.

It sure wasn’t Matt Lauer.

NBC News has a vast staff of anchors and reporters. Why turn over the grilling to a guy who had a hard enough time questioning Ryan Lochte? Giving a showcase to your top morning host only works if you’re showcasing something the host does well.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, car54 said:

Well evidently someone in Trump's security briefing has responded--MSNBC is reporting that people in the room are saying Trump was all wired up and interrupting the briefers to the point that Chris Christie had to tell him to settle down and listen.

Hehe, so the rottweiler had to calm down the pitbull?

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, cattykit said:

You know what was the most informative part of the night? The part that Maddow hosted, where we got to really hear from the veterans.  There was veteran at the end, an older gentleman, sitting in the front, he was outstanding when he rattled off the criteria for the type of questions that should be on the  list to determine who was best qualified to be CIC. One of the things I remember him asking was, where were the "What have you learned?" type of questions and how would it affect your policies  going forward?  What an utter waste the 8-9 hour was, it truly was a waste. 

All these people, from the politicians to the media think voters are playing, they're still acting like it and it's unreal. How can you see all this volatility with the voters and keep playing these damn games.

Edited by represent
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, represent said:

You know what was the most informative part of the night? The part that Maddow hosted, where we got to really hear from the veterans.  There was veteran at the end, an older gentleman, sitting in the front, he was outstanding when he rattled off the criteria for the type of questions that should be on the  list to determine who was best qualified to be CIC. One of the things I remember him asking was, where were the "What have you learned?" type of questions and how would it affect your policies  going forward?  What an utter waste the 8-9 hour was, it truly was a waste. 

All these people, from the politicians to the media think voters are playing, they're still acting like it and it's unreal. How can you see all this volatility with the voters and keep playing these damn games.

That guy was tough and good. But then Rachel's cohost from the veteran's group didn't repeat them, he just threw in two new softball questions of his own and distracted from what the man had said, including implied criticism of Lauer. And surely they could have found someone on NBC who had served in the military or covered a war. Lauer asked a couple of good questions in an hour (and I was impressed he brought up the sexist tweet from 2013), but for the most part, he was awful, just as everyone's saying--soft on Trump, ridiculously grilling Hillary over the email. (4 questions about it in a 30 minute Commander in chief forum? Really?)  Fortunately Trump screws up--for people paying attention--even when handed softballs.    

On MJ, Joe was pretty good on how Hillary should answer that going forward--i.e. "It's been exhaustively looked at including by over 100 FBI agents.  It was careless, and a mistake. I learned from it and obviously won't do it again. The facts are out there. I have nothing more to say about it and want to spend this time talking about the issues that will make a difference in the lives of the American people."   (Mika, on the other hand, wants HRC to "run out the clock" answering each and every question about it that can be put to her.)

My silver lining in it is that Trump will study even LESS now and hopefully be so overconfident when the real debate comes that he'll come across (even more) as unprepared.  Hillary, on the other hand, has had a little peek at what it might be and hopefully learned a lot that will help her.

(I am sad that it was Gary Johnson, not Trump, who flubbed MJ's question this a.m. about Aleppo. I'm pretty sure Trump has no idea of its significance either, but since Lauer asked him nothing of any specificity he could handle it all with the vagueness and posturing that's gotten him this far already.)

• Love 2

Did anyone else but me think the choice of chairs was deliberately sexist in that they were too high off the ground for Hillary to sit on comfortably?

That might be one of the reasons why she stood for most of the forum.

Also, Lauer is a joke and in this moment worse that Brian Williams and that's saying something.

• Love 5

I am sad that it was Gary Johnson, not Trump, who flubbed MJ's question this a.m. about Aleppo. I'm pretty sure Trump has no idea of its significance either, but since Lauer asked him nothing of any specificity he could handle it all with the vagueness and posturing that's gotten him this far already.)

You are darn right and they'll spend 24/7 on this, as opposed to spending 24/7 on EVERY, I mean EVERY, outrageous, incompetent statement that Trump has made. 

Instead they literally whine that it's too hard for we "competent journalists" to keep up with everything Trump says, fuck that. It's called doing your job of which many of you get paid very handsomely for.

I'm not fan of Gary Johnson and got a good chuckle out of it, but you are exactly right.

So is the post about Sarah Palin, good lord, this election has me on the side of Sarah Palin or at least seeing the bias against her way back then in comparison to Trump.

Edited by represent
  • Love 1

I was really disappointed last night in the aftermath, where it was instantly clear that Matt Lauer had done a bad job, where neither Rachel nor Lawrence was willing to say boo, presumably because they all share the same employer.  I do wonder, and I haven't seen it anywhere, whether he came up with the questions on his own or if they were drawn up with producers. 

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

Trump is on CNN right now & he started off by saying he was going to talk about education, but then went to his old stand-by, Hillary-bashing.  Click!!!

Because all he ever talks about is school choice, vouchers, that's it. No way does his little brain, which matches his little hands, have any idea on how vouchers work.  He can't talk about how much money it will take to fix crumbling school buildings, to modernize the schools, to overhaul curricula so that students will be ready for the jobs of the future, reinstating vocational programs....a ton of shit that he can't, nor does he care to speak on. Hell, Flint, Michigan exposed just how underfunded schools are to serve students with special needs, lack of school nurses etc...and that's just pre-k through 12, what the hell does he have to say about collegiate education?

Edited by represent
  • Love 3

I thought Hillary's speech in NC today was excellent--she was conversational, and she included a TON of info on what her goals and plans are, with only a limited amount of Trump-talking.   I also thought her short press conference before her flight was exactly right--she was comfortable, and gave the press their sound bytes for the day--she needs to do that every morning from now on--get ahead of Trump on the news.

I am also glad that Cummings released the Colin Powell emails.   I am not sure why he was the one to put them out but I am glad he did it.

• Love 11
19 hours ago, NewDigs said:

Boris is, to me, the most aggressively annoying Trump-surrogate.

If we can all see it why can't the trained professionals figure out how to shut that asshole down? Emails! Foundation! Lying!

Gah!

Boris Epshteyn talks so fast that I have trouble understanding what he says.  When I hear his rapid-fire speech while not looking at the TV, I always think it's someone else whose name I can't recall -- today, it finally dawned on me that he sounds just like Peter Sellers playing Clare Quilty in Lolita.  

Brian Williams microcosm moment that stands in for all that is repulsive about him: Caught a glimpse of his show last night when he was interviewing someone about Hillary's pledge not to commit ground troops to Syria, etc., and he said:

"Should Hillary be drawing a line in the sand (pun intended)?"

We know, Brian. Line in the metaphorical sand...line in the real sand, because it's the Middle East...yes, you really needed to add that "pun intended" to make sure we didn't miss your Algonquin Table level of wit.

Vomit.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, represent said:

Because all he ever talks about is school choice, vouchers, that's it. No way does his little brain, which matches his little hands, have any idea on how vouchers work.  He can't talk about how much money it will take to fix crumbling school buildings, to modernize the schools, to overhaul curricula so that students will be ready for the jobs of the future, reinstating vocational programs....a ton of shit that he can't, nor does he care to speak on. Hell, Flint, Michigan exposed just how underfunded schools are to serve students with special needs, lack of school nurses etc...and that's just pre-k through 12, what the hell does he have to say about collegiate education?

He has nothing to offer but fantasy promises with big price tags that he doesn't explain. He's clever, in his way, in that he's figured out how to turn every question into a PR soundbite that will be unchallenged by the lazy journalists. I thought for sure after he laid out an astounding list of new military expenses he had planned yesterday that Lauer would ask him how he planned to pay for it--in addition to his $3 trillion tax cut (over 10 years) 

He knows he can get away saying whatever he wants (like lying for the umpteenth time about opposing the Iraq war.) Meanwhile, Lauaer tells Hillary to tighten up her answers, badgers her over the **** email (I'm so sick of hearing about it! How does she stay so patient?), interrupts and cuts off her sentences (one really good answer he just jumped in before she'd even gotten halfway through a succvinct concluding sentence. Yet he sat enraptured as Trump spewed out his meaningless word salads.)

I'm glad Lauer's getting so criticized today.  But Johnson's gaffe seems to have distracted the easily distractable media from Trump.

• Love 5

He knows he can get away saying whatever he wants (like lying for the umpteenth time about opposing the Iraq war.) Meanwhile, Lauaer tells Hillary to tighten up her answers, badgers her over the **** email (I'm so sick of hearing about it! How does she stay so patient?), interrupts and cuts off her sentences

Meanwhile that loser Chuck Todd is trying to defend his loser colleague Lauer, saying that Hillary hasn't learned to pivot off the email question, like Trump pivots. You fucking loser Todd, you mean she hasn't learned to completely avoid answering questions and telling people like you to fuck off.  Or rather, give you losers such a hard on that you don't prod her and make her answer your questions with follow up questions as well as, a straight up reprimand that you're going to tell lies in this forum as in fact checks.

Edited by represent
  • Love 6

Brian Williams is vilified for good reason, but Matt Lauer should be too. He was terrible last night. Also terrible on the Today Show. And to think NBC is paying him so much money to suck.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, rcc said:

Brian Williams is vilified for good reason, but Matt Lauer should be too. He was terrible last night. Also terrible on the Today Show. And to think NBC is paying him so much money to suck.

Lucky for me I haven't watched the Today Show since Couric left.

45 minutes ago, represent said:

Meanwhile that loser Chuck Todd is trying to defend his loser colleague Lauer, saying that Hillary hasn't learned to pivot off the email question, like Trump pivots. You fucking loser Todd, you mean she hasn't learned to completely avoid answering questions and telling people like you to fuck off.  Or rather, give you losers such a hard on that you don't prod her and make her answer your questions with follow up questions as well as, a straight up reprimand that you're going to tell lies in this forum as in fact checks.

In fairness, it was one of his guests who praised Lauer.  As far as the pivot, yes, there is an art to getting off topics that don't reflect well on you, HRC hasn't mastered it, and I don't think it's hateful to point that out.  I'm a Never Trumper way more than I'm a Hillary fan, and I keep waiting for her to give me a definitive reason to like her and believe her other than her simply not being the orange puffalump.  Instead we get explanations and equivocations that sound more to me like Bill C. defining what "is" is.  When you know the skillset of HRC and the people on her team, yet realize after all these months she's still sounding like Nixon wallowing in Watergate, you have to wonder if there really might be a Watergate and I can't fault CT for noticing.

• Love 1

In fairness, it was one of his guests who praised Lauer.  As far as the pivot, yes, there is an art to getting off topics that don't reflect well on you, HRC hasn't mastered it, and I don't think it's hateful to point that out.  I'm a Never Trumper way more than I'm a Hillary fan, and I keep waiting for her to give me a definitive reason to like her and believe her other than her simply not being the orange puffalump.  Instead we get explanations and equivocations that sound more to me like Bill C. defining what "is" is.  When you know the skillset of HRC and the people on her team, yet realize after all these months she's still sounding like Nixon wallowing in Watergate, you have to wonder if there really might be a Watergate and I can't fault CT for noticing.

I've seen her pivot in interviews plenty of times and get back on the issues that voters are concerned about, well this voter anyway. But then, there's the commentary that she's not answering the question. For me, she's answered it just fine. But I'm biased, I don't care enough about her emails, nor do I care about her foundation so...I think she should shut it down and/or hand it over, just to get folks off her back. But please, that won't matter in the end.

She had to respond to that veteran's question with more than I made a mistake, I think she should say I made a bad decision because a mistake is entirely different. She knew what she was doing so she chose to have a private server. I more describe a mistake as a quick careless act, this wasn't quick or you didn't know any better, that doesn't apply here either.  But that veteran wanted details, the question asked about judgement as it pertains to emails and national security. Is she going to stand up there and not try to make her case even though she made a bad decision?  I don't think so. I made a mistake, there, now vote for me.  Yeah, I don't get that as a response but then I'm a supporter.  To me she wouldn't be making any effort at all in  answering that veteran's question as to how her "mistake" should be forgiven and he should still vote for her. Whether he bought her cast and clearly he did not is another matter. But when the question connects her judgment with the emails and gov't top secret info. then she has to explain to a random voter at least with some details. Reporters at this point, she can shrug off, but not a voter in a forum when they ask you directly about your emails.  I also don't expect her to stand up and say yeah I made a mistake and I violated the freedom of information act, because if that's what folks are looking for, that's laughable, you're not getting that and rightly so.

Edited by represent
  • Love 1