Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

Holy shitballs, you guys. I saw Blade Runner 2049 last night and it was f*cking amazing. I don’t pretend to know anything about filmmaking, but having seen Sicario and Arrival (which I’ve watched three times), both directed by Denis Villeneuve, I knew I wanted to see what he did with Blade Runner. He did not disappoint - it was incredible.

• Love 6

It was appropriate the studio and producers cancelled the red carpet premiers after the Las Vegas domestic terrorist attack.

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 4:57 PM, peacheslatour said:

I wish she could be my Nana. After losing my mom in February, I miss her tart tongue. She was a red hot feminist with little patience for Republican shenanigans.

You won't be happy being left at home this weekend, Peaches. My grandmother, Aunt Trinket, Nana and I are on our way to Big Bear to gamble, drink proper cocktails, talk smack and get cheeky with the waitstaff. Sister-in-law Stunt has a home on the lake and we'll be staying there.

Mr. Stunt is tearing up the house decorating for Halloween, and I've completed my assignments (send out the invitations, finish our costumes, order the drinks and ice, check with the caterer, email the DJ with the expanded set list for lip-sync contest, set aside the breakables, put on the tea-stained slipcovers and hang the blackened cheesecloth drapes, wrap the Bowling for Crap gifts and change out regular dishes for the Halloween set). I'm not much help as the house is being taken over by rats, devils, bats, coffins, ghouls and skeletons, black lights, pumpkins and black painted decorations. It's best to let Mr. Stunt's creative decorating process flow unencumbered.

Melvin went to ground last week the second he saw the coffin. He doesn't recover from the holidays until mid-January when the Christmas décor has been put away. Change is bad!

• Love 9
54 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

It was appropriate the studio and producers cancelled the red carpet premiers after the Las Vegas domestic terrorist attack.

You won't be happy being left at home this weekend, Peaches. My grandmother, Aunt Trinket, Nana and I are on our way to Big Bear to gamble, drink proper cocktails, talk smack and get cheeky with the waitstaff. Sister-in-law Stunt has a home on the lake and we'll be staying there.

Mr. Stunt is tearing up the house decorating for Halloween, and I've completed my assignments (send out the invitations, finish our costumes, order the drinks and ice, check with the caterer, email the DJ with the expanded set list for lip-sync contest, set aside the breakables, put on the tea-stained slipcovers and hang the blackened cheesecloth drapes, wrap the Bowling for Crap gifts and change out regular dishes for the Halloween set). I'm not much help as the house is being taken over by rats, devils, bats, coffins, ghouls and skeletons, black lights, pumpkins and black painted decorations. It's best to let Mr. Stunt's creative decorating process flow unencumbered.

Melvin went to ground last week the second he saw the coffin. He doesn't recover from the holidays until mid-January when the Christmas décor has been put away. Change is bad!

I love it! Who (or what) are you going as? 

• Love 7

I play poker with 5 friends and we decided to go as the Madonna's.

One is going as Boy Toy Madonna, lip-syncing Like a Virgin

477a87dfcaba49bd001d4fa3cc75e8f4.jpg

We have a Music Madonna

240px-Musicm.png

There's a Material Girl

a49a4b869c041507d0ef86829511c92b.jpg

Vogue Madonna

566b3158b3d0499f85641df5273783ae--madonn

Ray of Light Madonna

59bb128d0366d04ab74ac88af2de8e4d--madonn

I'm going as Celebration Madonna

madonna.JPG

We've gone as Diana Ross, Dusty Springfield, Judy Holiday, Alexis Morell Carrington Colby Dexter Rowan, Bette Davis, Sesame Street characters, 

We fall under Pearlite's Ham Criteria as Hormel Canned Hams.

• Love 15
8 hours ago, Capricasix said:

Holy shitballs, you guys. I saw Blade Runner 2049 last night and it was f*cking amazing. I don’t pretend to know anything about filmmaking, but having seen Sicario and Arrival (which I’ve watched three times), both directed by Denis Villeneuve, I knew I wanted to see what he did with Blade Runner. He did not disappoint - it was incredible.

That looks SO good. I really wanna see that and the Mountain Between Us not just because I love the two stars and they're both super gorgeous- Idris & Kate ?- and talente but the scenery is beautiful. 

• Love 4

Halloween is Mr. Stunt's birthday and he celebrates all month. He's going as Buddy Holly this year; his costume started with a pair of glasses he found at a yard sale. He builds new ghouly mechanisms (singing skull choir) and finds creepy things to decorate with every year. One party is for his employee's, and Halloween Eve is his birthday party with friends and family. 

Costumes aren't mandatory, but if a guest has kids, 9 times out of 10, they all dress to some theme. The kids have a blast. It's been great to watch them participate as they grow up. 

People bring loads of food, and we have a caterer handle a hot entrée (hot smoked turkey sandwiches), salads, cut veggies, fruit bowl, cupcakes, root beer floats.

This year we're having a lip-sync contest, hence staging the DJ and big screen for the videos; we have 23 victims ... er, volunteers for the birthday party. Bowling For Crap involves a grassy hill in the back of the property, two bowling balls and six hula hoops. The participant rolls a bowing ball into/through one of the hoops and goes to the prize table and picks a bag. They are usually gag-type gifts, odd clothing items, candy, toys, gift cards, beach towels, obscure kitchen tools, ugly lamps, golf balls, hats, EtsyFails,, dollar store and flea market WTFs, soap, Nerf stuff, games ... Something for everyone and no one. When the game is over, if the winners (Everyone is a winner!) want to trade, go for it! 

We have a great time.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

That looks SO good. I really wanna see that and the Mountain Between Us not just because I love the two stars and they're both super gorgeous- Idris & Kate ?- and talente but the scenery is beautiful. 

I adore Idris. I must get around to watching The Wire one of these days - I’d never heard of him until he was Heimdall in the Thor movies.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

The Mountain Between Us was shot in my neck of the woods. 

13 hours ago, Capricasix said:

@Capricasix, we are going to see it on Wednesday.  Can't wait!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Capricasix said:

I adore Idris. I must get around to watching The Wire one of these days - I’d never heard of him until he was Heimdall in the Thor movies.

The Wire is wonderful - tough to watch sometimes, brilliant cast and Edris was spectacular!

• Love 5
15 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

If there's one thing I've learned from watching B&B it's that lots of shenanigans happen up at Big Bear. Be careful, you could end up covered in honey or return home having given birth to your daughter's husband's baby.

11 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Bowling For Crap involves a grassy hill in the back of the property, two bowling balls and six hula hoops. The participant rolls a bowing ball into/through one of the hoops and goes to the prize table and picks a bag. They are usually gag-type gifts, odd clothing items, candy, toys, gift cards, beach towels, obscure kitchen tools, ugly lamps, golf balls, hats, EtsyFails,, dollar store and flea market WTFs, soap, Nerf stuff, games ... Something for everyone and no one. When the game is over, if the winners (Everyone is a winner!) want to trade, go for it! 

That sounds better than Plinko!

And since it lasts all month, Happy Birthday to Mr. Stunt. And Happy Birthday @pearlite and all the October birthdays everywhere!

• Love 9

Thanks, SweePea59!

And thanks Cupid Stunt for dignifying my Ham Criteria with a title!

Well, at least Capricasix, Bannana, miamama, crosby, and any other Canadians here have Thanksgiving this weekend!

Edited by pearlite
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Capricasix said:

Yes, happy Thanksgiving to all my fellow Canucks! And it was 20 years ago this weekend that my husband and I were married ? (our actual anniversary is on the 11th).

20 years!!  Congratulations!

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Capricasix said:

Yes, happy Thanksgiving to all my fellow Canucks! And it was 20 years ago this weekend that my husband and I were married ? (our actual anniversary is on the 11th).

Happy 20th Anniversary, Capricasix!

• Love 9
15 hours ago, Capricasix said:

14 hours ago, boes said:

The Wire is wonderful - tough to watch sometimes, brilliant cast and Edris was spectacular!

The Wire!

I love him on the BBC Luther series. Idris would be stellar as James Bond.

6 hours ago, SweePea59 said:

If there's one thing I've learned from watching B&B it's that lots of shenanigans happen up at Big Bear. Be careful, you could end up covered in honey or return home having given birth to your daughter's husband's baby.

It's been pretty quiet when I've been at Big Bear. Thankfully, there are no Forrester's around to ruin the weekend. 

That sounds better than Plinko!

And since it lasts all month, Happy Birthday to Mr. Stunt. And Happy Birthday @pearlite and all the October birthdays everywhere!

Bowling For Crap is a hoot. It amazes me how excited people get over a silly game of chance.

Thank you, Sweetpea.

Happy Birthday to all October babys!

f1b437583cf8250fddd75c066736e5cc.gif

• Love 9

Dear Cupid Stunt, I loved reading about your Halloween! How lucky that both you and Mr. Stunt enjoy it so much. 

I used to decorate for Halloween when I lived in Maine, twenty-some years ago. I even dressed up as Madonna one year. But since I moved to South Florida, I stopped. Actually, the first year I moved here I put a pumpkin on my front step. It was mush in just a few days.

• Love 6

Tee hee, just had to share this because my DH didn't know what I was talking about. Last night I was watching an old episode of Columbo from 1971. The murderer played by Susan Clark is remaking herself after inheriting her family business. She gets a new hair do and a manicure. After delightedly thanking her hairdresser she dismissively waves her hand at the manicurist and goes "Bye, Felicia" and flounces off.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, AngelKitty said:

I used to decorate for Halloween when I lived in Maine, twenty-some years ago. I even dressed up as Madonna one year. But since I moved to South Florida, I stopped. Actually, the first year I moved here I put a pumpkin on my front step. It was mush in just a few days.

That's a pretty scary Halloween story. ;)

• Love 5
On 10/06/2017 at 6:59 PM, Cupid Stunt said:

I play poker with 5 friends and we decided to go as the Madonna's.

One is going as Boy Toy Madonna, lip-syncing Like a Virgin

477a87dfcaba49bd001d4fa3cc75e8f4.jpg

We have a Music Madonna

240px-Musicm.png

There's a Material Girl

a49a4b869c041507d0ef86829511c92b.jpg

Vogue Madonna

566b3158b3d0499f85641df5273783ae--madonn

Ray of Light Madonna

59bb128d0366d04ab74ac88af2de8e4d--madonn

I'm going as Celebration Madonna

madonna.JPG

We've gone as Diana Ross, Dusty Springfield, Judy Holiday, Alexis Morell Carrington Colby Dexter Rowan, Bette Davis, Sesame Street characters, 

We fall under Pearlite's Ham Criteria as Hormel Canned Hams.

Ray of Light Madonna is my favorite, with Like a Prayer Madonna a close second.

On 10/06/2017 at 11:45 PM, peacheslatour said:

Is Idris going to be our next Bond?

If hope so, but it may be a little while.  Daniel Craig is doing one more, which I'm not sorry about.  ;^)

Happy Thanksgiving to all my Prevented Canadian friends!

Edited by Snaporaz
  • Love 8

Keep us up in northern California in mind.  The Napa/Sonoma fires are brutal, moving so fast and taking out so much.  We're about 35 miles south of Napa and Sonoma and we've had smoke and intermittent ash since late last night.  

Friends from Santa Rosa were spending the weekend in SF and now have no home to return to, other friend's vacation home in Sonoma is in the evacuation/fire zone and she has yet to find out if it's still there.  The fire crews, as usual, are heroes in motion whose primary focus right now is getting people and livestock out of harms way.

This is bad.

• Love 11

What is Canadian Thanksgiving? 

The odd, complicated history of Canadian Thanksgiving

… [A]n 1890 feature in the Globe and Mail lament[ed] the slow death of the seven-day ritual of Thanksgiving feasts central to the Haudenosaunee culture, which was waning as a result of the increasing numbers of “Christianized Indians” who no longer took part in these “pagan” customs. That writer observed that these Thanksgiving feasts, which involved religious observance, visiting each other’s houses, feasting and war dances, had been in existence from the time the Haudenosaunee Confederacy was first organized—a vague reference at the time that is still the subject of some debate, but thought to pre-date the Frobisher exploration by at least a century.

This, of course, alludes to the thing that so many people seem willfully blind to in the debate about who had Thanksgiving-style gatherings first: that they were well-established long before Europeans ever got here. Specific rituals differ from region to region, of course, but festivals that saw people expressing thanks for the bounty of the land are a common feature of most pre-contact societies in Canada and the United States…

Not knowing very much about Canadian Thanksgiving, I found the Maclean's article very helpful.

I am very thankful to Canada and extend many belated best wishes on your Thanksgiving. 

• Love 9
49 minutes ago, boes said:

Keep us up in northern California in mind.  The Napa/Sonoma fires are brutal, moving so fast and taking out so much.  We're about 35 miles south of Napa and Sonoma and we've had smoke and intermittent ash since late last night.  

Friends from Santa Rosa were spending the weekend in SF and now have no home to return to, other friend's vacation home in Sonoma is in the evacuation/fire zone and she has yet to find out if it's still there.  The fire crews, as usual, are heroes in motion whose primary focus right now is getting people and livestock out of harms way.

This is bad.

Oh, boes. Please stay safe. We need rain so much.

• Love 9

It's getting worse.  I just heard that another friend and her family have been ordered to leave, and the ones who were waiting to hear found out their place is gone.  These people lived in Santa Rosa, in a suburban neighborhood, not out in the woods.  And now there are reports of looting.

Where I'm at, we're fine.  But the sky is streaked with orange and the air is full of smoke.

• Love 9

When I first heard about the murders in Las Vegas, the first person I called was my father. He saw a lot of outrageous violence in Viet Nam that would make sense, and he's found a path to follow that has allowed him to abide with those memories and still live in the world. I struggle mightily with the routine carnage, mourning and prayers, followed by lies and evasion, to end up impotently shouting into the void.

My friend John Cole wrote an essay in response to the Las Vegas domestic terrorist attack.

The Selfishness of it All

• Love 8
6 hours ago, boes said:

This is bad.

Oh boes, I had no idea. I try and avoid the news as much as possible. Back in 2001, I visited Sonoma/Napa with a friend at the time. Her uncle was a priest, and we stayed with him for two weeks while visiting. It is a beautiful place, and one of my all time favorite places that I have visited. We were there for the fourth of July and went to Santa Rosa and hung out at some fair... I always wanted to go back and visit. I hope they get the fire under control soon. You are in my thoughts.

• Love 7
20 hours ago, boes said:

This is bad.

San Rafael? Novato?  My son (a firefighter) lives in Petaluma and had his Santa Rosa in-laws evacuate to his place.  He says not to worry, but it's frightening to say the least.  I lived in San Rafael for years and had never seen wild fires this close to populated areas. Yes, the fire crews are my heroes, too.  Good thoughts for your Sonoma friend.

Edited by MollyB
  • Love 7
37 minutes ago, MollyB said:

San Rafael? Novato?  My son (a firefighter) lives in Petaluma and had his Santa Rosa in-laws evacuate to his place.  He says not to worry, but it's frightening to say the least.  I lived in San Rafael for years and had never seen wild fires this close to populated areas. Yes, the fire crews are my heroes, too.  Good thoughts for your Sonoma friend.

Your son is a hero, MollyB.  But you know that already.  What these folks have been facing, especially when the gale force winds were spreading the fire was unbelievable.  I so hope he stays safe.

We're absolutely safe in Concord and I think the same is true for San Rafael and Novato.  Smoke and ash but no fire.  We've got a friend staying with us today and tonight and as long as she needs.  Her house is north of Ukiah, near the Redwood fire but so far it's okay.  Her husband is there.  But there's no way right now to get there on any of the major roads and driving the backroads through the forests right now is not a good idea.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

LOLOL  kimberlin brown is going to run for congress....

With the way things are going, I'm not surprised.  Maybe she can bounce there on her head.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

LOLOL  kimberlin brown is going to run for congress....

My father is a member of So Cal agriculture group where she is also a member. She's spent years demanding more irrigation water, zero regulations on herbicides/insecticides, zero state tax and regulation use on agricultural land. Kimberlin Brown is a far-Right wingnut from way back.

The Santa Ana winds picked up late yesterday, and the wild fire in Anaheim exploded. Two of my employees lost their homes.

• Love 8
25 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

My father is a member of So Cal agriculture group where she is also a member. She's spent years demanding more irrigation water, zero regulations on herbicides/insecticides, zero state tax and regulation use on agricultural land. Kimberlin Brown is a far-Right wingnut from way back.

The Santa Ana winds picked up late yesterday, and the wild fire in Anaheim exploded. Two of my employees lost their homes.

Oh God, Cupid Stunt, that's awful.  I've been seeing the Anaheim fires and there's a big one near San Diego too, right?  Your poor employees - were they at work when it happened?

• Love 8

They left work before noon yesterday and evacuated early. Jerry, his dog and an over-loaded truck came back to work. He's moved into a garage apartment owned by one of the sales reps; it's primitive, but it's a roof. Laura and her two boys packed everything they could jam into a Ford Focus and moved in with her parents in Glendale. 

I gave my assistant a side project of helping them find new housing and furnishings. She's already rounded up beds and linens, a couch, dishes, and a dresser.

• Love 9

Cupid, I wish there were more employers like you. I've been hearing about people losing their jobs because they didn't make it into work due to hurricanes destroying the homes, washing out roads and generally making it impossible to do anything. Good on you and many blessings.

• Love 9

I've worked for people like that, and hated every minute being under their heel. They reap what they sow. You treat people like they don't matter, you can't expect much from them at work.

The people I work with know I'll go the extra mile, and in return they give back tenfold. Everything donated except the dresser (I found it on the curb on the way to work that morning) came from the people at the station ... and there's more coming. 

I know I'm doing the opposite of what I was taught in business classes. I work for degreed business managers and their corporate masters; their HR system stinks. They end up hitting a plateau to their bottom line by treating people like expendable trained monkeys. Unhappy with the results, upper management gets rid of that guy to promote the same business school-type, and that person shows up at the budget meeting with the same results. Treating people like serfs doesn't increase productivity, no matter how many times you change the managers.

• Love 8