Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

I'm glad you're feeling better, Peaches. 

We're supposed to get a big snow storm here on Monday. 

I'm tired of life kicking my ass. That new job I had. Yeah, that didn't' work out. Two jobs in four months. It must be a record. 

*hugs* OhioSongBird. 

• Love 3

Apparently, we're all going to get it.  😲😠😷  I'm doing my best to avoid it, but when so many people act like nothing's going on, we'll see.  I never stopped wearing a mask, and now I wear a KN95 with a cloth mask over it.   

At least we're all vaxxed. I was pretty sick but not hospital sick.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I'm tired of life kicking my ass. That new job I had. Yeah, that didn't' work out. Two jobs in four months. It must be a record. 

I've been laid off 12 times in my life. This last time it broke me. I'm tired of life kicking my ass, too.

16 minutes ago, SweePea59 said:

I've been laid off 12 times in my life. This last time it broke me. I'm tired of life kicking my ass, too.

Damn, I'm sorry SweePea. 

The dental one caught me by surprise and gutted me. This one I'm disappointed but I was also relieved. 

From the moment I was hired I found it a disaster. It was insanely busy, phone ringing off the hook, not enough coverage because they didn't want to pay for more staff. I had one day of real training, and the next two shifts were me taking payments while the girl who was supposed to train me was busy trying to tie up lose ends. The fourth shift was me alone with the other secretary who left and 2:30 PM and I was alone until 4:30 when the next secretary came in. 

The following week I was left to work alone at night because the night secretary was sick and I was scrambling around and feeling like I was drowning. 

I was supposed to not only deal with the clinic patients, phone calls, billing, scheduling, etc, but I was also the personal secretary of an orthopedic surgeron who came in once a week so any and all calls concerning him were transferred to me. I was in charge of pulling his files, scheduling his patients, sending his dictations by email to his other secretary to have them typed up and resent to me so I could print them, have him sign them, and fax them to the appropriate people.

And I was also put in charge of all the work accident cases and car accident cases and it was insane. Work accident cases were confusing and a lot of it was stuff/problems/lack of payment from when the previous secretary worked there and I was expected to resolve it. Except it's all in French and my French wasn't strong enough and they were asking me questions that I didn't have access too. It was just madness. 

I had to take Ativan a few times just to be able to sleep. And my migraines and halos were coming back. 

It finally quieted down with Omicron and I felt like I could breathe a bit but they decided to let me go because I wasn't quite the right fit and I wasn't up to meeting the demands of the company. 

Like whatever. I feel sorry for the person who replaces me. I hope she speaks perfect French and she asks for way more money that I was being paid to do all that was expected of me. Good luck to her, I think she might need it. 

• Love 2

I had to take Ativan a few times just to be able to sleep. And my migraines and halos were coming back. 

I've been getting a lot of migraines lately too. Do you see like prismatic auras? That's what I see and when I do, I know instantly what it is. Ibuprofin is amazing at making them stop for me within half an hour.

• Useful 2

Those are called scintillating scotoma. I’ve gotten them occasionally for many years now, but they don’t lead to a typical migraine - they just dissipate over the course of 15 or 20 minutes.

I’m trying to paste a Wikipedia link, but it’s not working 😡

Edited by Capricasix
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

I've been getting a lot of migraines lately too. Do you see like prismatic auras? That's what I see and when I do, I know instantly what it is. Ibuprofin is amazing at making them stop for me within half an hour.

I see geometric shapes all in a row. Triangles, lines, circles. It happens during the night. I'll wake up and lie down to go back to sleep and bam. 

2 minutes ago, Capricasix said:

Those are called scintillating scotoma. I’ve gotten them occasionally for many years now, but they don’t lead to a typical migraine - they just dissipate over the course of 15 or 20 minutes.

I’m trying to paste a Wikipedia link, but it’s not working 😡

If I don't take Ibuprofin right away it devolves into first nausea and then the monumental headache. I've had them since I was a teenager. 

The optical migraines I get don't lead to a headache or any pain or anything. My vision just gets all clouded over like when you go into a dark house after being in the bright sunlight and all you see is like throbbing pulsating energy. And it can last up to an hour. I can't see anything else.  (I also get headache migraines and vestibular migraines. The vestibular migraines make me feel like I'm going to die and simultaneously pray for death so I never have to experience another.)

12 hours ago, SweePea59 said:

The optical migraines I get don't lead to a headache or any pain or anything. My vision just gets all clouded over like when you go into a dark house after being in the bright sunlight and all you see is like throbbing pulsating energy. And it can last up to an hour. I can't see anything else.  (I also get headache migraines and vestibular migraines. The vestibular migraines make me feel like I'm going to die and simultaneously pray for death so I never have to experience another.)

Oh SweePea, I am so sorry. (((hugs)))

• Love 6
7 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Oh SweePea, I am so sorry. (((hugs)))

Thanks for the virtual hug. My last real hug was last April 2021. Prior to that it was December 2019. Looks like I have a record to break.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 1/17/2022 at 2:28 PM, peacheslatour said:

Do you see like prismatic auras? That's what I see and when I do, I know instantly what it is.

I have had these for years.  My doctor called them 'optical migraines' and prescribed nothing. (Dr. Google doesn't seem to have much about it either.)  When they hit, I have to stop doing whatever because they interfere with my vision.  When they end in about an hour, I feel tired.  And life goes on.

edited to add:  wow, I didn't know there were so many names for this affliction.

Edited by MollyB
suprise, suprise, Sargent
  • Love 5

When you guys get your headaches, where do you feel it the most? I will get a pain behind my right eye a lot and my forehead. 

I've also gotten pain sometimes behind my ear. 

Once I had the weirdest headache where it felt like someone was randomly stabbing me with an icepick. It was this sharp, stabbing pain, and I was working at Dunkin' Donuts at the time and it freaked me out. 

I've had headaches where I can't concentrate and someone will be speaking but it's like everything that comes out of their mouth makes no sense to me. I had that happen once when I was working at the bookstore. I finally had to tell the guy working with me that I know he was speaking but I just couldn't make sense of it. 

And once, for a month, I had these weird exertion headaches. As soon as I would try to workout, it was like someone was squeezing my head in a vice. The pain was so intense and throbbing. I eventually had to stop for a few weeks and then I was fine. 

The halos were new. Started happening when I was working for the crazy dentist. 

My CT scan came back normal though. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, jewel21 said:

The halos were new. Started happening when I was working for the crazy dentist.

Maybe it had to do with the lighting in the office. I have to be careful with my screen time. And fluorescent lights. And scrolling on devices. And sunlight. And bright lights in my peripheral vision. All triggers for me.

I get head pains in different parts of my head, one side or the other, different levels of pain, and overall headaches. I guess it just depends on the circumstances and triggers.

• Useful 2
On 1/19/2022 at 9:24 AM, MollyB said:

I have had these for years.  My doctor called them 'optical migraines' and prescribed nothing. (Dr. Google doesn't seem to have much about it either.)  When they hit, I have to stop doing whatever because they interfere with my vision.  When they end in about an hour, I feel tired.  And life goes on.

edited to add:  wow, I didn't know there were so many names for this affliction.

I haven't been to the doctor about them but as soon as I see the auras, I know what's coming. I instantly take Ibuprofin and that wards off the inevitable headache and nausea.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

Boychild and I both have these...no headache, just the colors.  Hubby...never. Go figure.  It starts as a pulsating dot in the corner of my eye, then spreads into an expanding rainbow around the outer peripheral, usually the right, sometimes the left.  Son, too.  My brother made glasses for years, took some classes in optometry and he always called them optical migraines.

Scary when you're driving but now I just shut my eyes and enjoy.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
On 7/24/2020 at 11:36 AM, peacheslatour said:

We used to have a chain of department store here called Frederick and Nelson's. They were the one with the fabulous Christmas displays and where everyone went to get their picture taken with Santa. The had a very high end tea room with weekly fashion shows. Doesn't B&B have something similar? I wish the soaps would bring back some of the elegance of the past. One of the reason's I and I'm sure many other people watch soaps is to see people living leisurely, glamorous lives. Far from the rat race that is modern life.

Fredrick & Nelson had Frango's...which Marshall Fields took on.

I lived in the Chicagoland area, and we had Marshall Fields, Carson Pirie Scott, Spiess, and Wieboldt's....all gone :(

• Love 2

There is an old train trestle in our neighborhood. This is a picture of it. See the sign?

image.png.2c5aa50372afa6074205ec2a7cc20cbb.png

Some derper just hit it. They've been parked at the end of our driveway for about an hour now. They called in another truck to transfer their cargo into but they cant get the doors open.

• LOL 1
7 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

There is an old train trestle in our neighborhood. This is a picture of it. See the sign?

image.png.2c5aa50372afa6074205ec2a7cc20cbb.png

Some derper just hit it. They've been parked at the end of our driveway for about an hour now. They called in another truck to transfer their cargo into but they cant get the doors open.

This actually happened to my husband a few years ago in Ohio, when he was a truck driver. The problem was with the company-installed truck GPS that the drivers were supposed to follow - it often didn’t take low bridges and trestles into account, and if drivers encountered these obstacles it would be very difficult for them to back up and turn around, or take a different route. If the drivers deviated from the route planned by the truck GPS, their dispatch would contact them and ask why they were going a different way!

• Useful 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Damn, I miss Washington.😂

Edited by MollyB
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, Capricasix said:

This actually happened to my husband a few years ago in Ohio, when he was a truck driver. The problem was with the company-installed truck GPS that the drivers were supposed to follow - it often didn’t take low bridges and trestles into account, and if drivers encountered these obstacles it would be very difficult for them to back up and turn around, or take a different route. If the drivers deviated from the route planned by the truck GPS, their dispatch would contact them and ask why they were going a different way!

There is a clearly marked turn off to s aside street right next to the bridge. We have been here for forty years and until the City put that sign up, it got hit about once a month. We were just saying the other night how effective the sign had been and then BOOM! It shakes our whole house. It's almost always been rental trucks with untrained drivers. Look at all the gouges in the concrete.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 2

I have to laugh because my cousin 30+ yrs ago had the same problem.  He was in MD doing a two truck run, following the other driver when all of a sudden the traffic comes to a standstill.  The train trestle they were supposed to be able to go under was 4-5" too short.  Steep hill on one side, little berm on the other so they and all the cars behind them had to back up and go the other way.  HP was called to direct traffic but he said it was a nightmare.  No GPS back then, just good ol' paper maps and a dispatcher. 

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

I have to laugh because my cousin 30+ yrs ago had the same problem.  He was in MD doing a two truck run, following the other driver when all of a sudden the traffic comes to a standstill.  The train trestle they were supposed to be able to go under was 4-5" too short.  Steep hill on one side, little berm on the other so they and all the cars behind them had to back up and go the other way.  HP was called to direct traffic but he said it was a nightmare.  No GPS back then, just good ol' paper maps and a dispatcher. 

If it didn't happen so often, I wouldn't think it was so funny but it's a common thing to say in our house "Oh, shit somebody hit the bridge again."  There are varying degrees of damage. The first one, I'll never forget because it happened to the shyster furniture company we got a couple of sofas from. Sheared to top of the box right off. I had a front row seat from one of those very sofas.

• LOL 5

Anyone else having issues sleeping lately? I'm up until at least 3 AM and my mind won't shut up. And last night I dreamt I was back working at Dunkin' Donuts and it was so detailed and long. And I was debating working there full time since you know, I have no job. Even though I hated working at DD. Needless to say, I was happy when I woke up. 

• Love 6

Yeah, I have sleeping issues and wild dreams. There are usually kittens in my dreams. I did dream about the most beautiful glass lampshade(s) last nite... or the nite before...

Edited by SweePea59
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, jewel21 said:

Anyone else having issues sleeping lately? I'm up until at least 3 AM and my mind won't shut up. And last night I dreamt I was back working at Dunkin' Donuts and it was so detailed and long. And I was debating working there full time since you know, I have no job. Even though I hated working at DD. Needless to say, I was happy when I woke up. 

I haven't been sleeping very much at all lately. Problems with my dad's care facility.  I had to threaten legal action today.

12 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I haven't been sleeping very much at all lately. Problems with my dad's care facility.  I had to threaten legal action today.

That's awful!  Have you been able to see him at all?  It must make your heart sink to have this worry on you.

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, boes said:

That's awful!  Have you been able to see him at all?  It must make your heart sink to have this worry on you.

I haven't seen him in months. My  husband saw him just before Thanksgiving. He broke his hip a few days later and the rest is a horrible nightmare. But bless you for asking, kind friend.

• Love 2

Aww, peaches. I'm sorry to hear that. I hope things will improve. 

My mom called me the other day to tell me that her bf's brother is in the ICU. he had been going there to visit his long time gf who was there for awhile. He came to visit her, was told she passed, and he had a massive heart attack upon hearing the news. They managed to revive him but they sedated him and told my mom's bf they would wait three days before trying to wake him. And they were going to test to see if there was any brain damage. 

The thing is, even if he does wake up, I don't think he can live without his gf. He has issues, he's an alcoholic and stuff. I only met him once but he seems like a nice enough guy. But he grew up with his mom paying all his bills until she passed at 100 last year. So there's like psychological issues as well. 

I don't know, the whole thing is just sad. 

Oh peaches, I am so sorry about your father’s situation! Looking after elderly parents can be really tough. Bless you for advocating for him. There are times you have to rattle cages to get results. 
jewel,what a sad story! Your Mom and her BF must be frantic. I hope his brother survives and gets help with his grief etc. Poor guy! 

(((hugs)) to all involved. 

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, PatsyandEddie said:

Oh peaches, I am so sorry about your father’s situation! Looking after elderly parents can be really tough. Bless you for advocating for him. There are times you have to rattle cages to get results. 
jewel,what a sad story! Your Mom and her BF must be frantic. I hope his brother survives and gets help with his grief etc. Poor guy! 

(((hugs)) to all involved. 

Thank you. And boy, did I rattle cages yesterday. Hopefully, they'll be as good as their word and he'll be back at the nice, expensive care facility he was supposed to be in and not the shitty substandard "nursing" home they moved him to after his hip surgery. God damn it so much.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

(((hugs to all)))

Seems like the shit never stops coming. 

"And this too shall pass...."

Thanks, pal. We're Preverts. We'll get through it. As Gerald O'hara's father told him "Remember who ye are and don't be takin' nothing off no man."

• Love 6

I went to the pharmacy today to get my third dose but when I asked if it was okay to get the third shot if I had Covid in December, the nurse said it would be better to wait 2 months since I'm adequately protected, and getting it now would mean more side effects. So, we rescheduled the appointment for February 16th. I had hoping to be working by then but if that's the case, then I guess I can reschedule it again for a a different date/time. 

Mom's bf's brother is still in the ICU. They're slowly trying to wake him up from his medically induced coma. However, when they tried yesterday his body started having some kind of fit and they put him back under. He also needs a triple bypass and the family isn't sure what is going to happen. It's really sad. He's an alcoholic and they're wondering if his body is reacting the way it is because he hasn't had alcohol for so long, but I would have thought being a coma would have helped him with the DT's?

Many years ago when the brother was only 36 years old, he was held up at a gas station where he worked. He was tied up with duct tape, the robber stole 250$ and a carton of cigarettes, and he was set on fire. He waited until the duct tape melted from the flames and ran outside and rolled around in the snow to try and put out the flames. Cops happened to be passing by and helped him. 

He spent 65 days in the burn until of a hospital and has second and third degree burns to 20% of his body including his face, hands, chest and thighs. 

His assailant was arrested and sentenced to 17 years in jail. 

I would be an alcoholic too if that happened to me. That is in my top three nightmares. 

3 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I would be an alcoholic too

What a horribly tragic story. I have a friend who is a full body burn victim due to a random crime. He had a good family support system, though, to help him deal with it. But you never know what people are dealing with and how much people are suffering.

• Love 6
24 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

When you`re on the home page, are you selecting "All Shows" or "My Shows" because I need to select the "All Shows"  tab to be able to view those forums. 

I tried a bunch of stuff. I refreshed the page a few times and it all came back. My internet was down this AM, maybe that had something to do with it. Thanks!

• Love 2