Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

Starting in February 2020, after the spending of $71 million dollars, California voters handily defeated the recall attempt of their duly elected governor.

3000.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=forma

Firefighters walk by Giant Sequoias in Kings Canyon national park in California/AP/Gary Kazanjian

Ancient sequoia trees threatened by growing wildfire in California’s Sierra Nevada

1000.jpeg

In this Sept. 14, 2021, file photo, a syringe is prepared with the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine at a clinic at the Reading Area Community College in Reading, Pa. COVID-19 deaths and cases in the U.S. have climbed back to where they were over the winter, wiping out months of progress and potentially bolstering President Joe Biden’s case for sweeping new vaccination requirements. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke, File)

Underfunded and Under Threat

Dionne Warwick on her new documentary and enduring career: "I am and will always be relevant"

Dionne Warwick - Heartbreaker

Ari Lennox - Pressure

Costanza - In the Sun

SZA - The Anonymous Ones

Primus - Jerry Was A Race Car Driver

Chlöe - Have Mercy

Dua Lipa - Levitating

MONSTA X 몬스타엑스 - GAMBLER

Astrud Gilberto -- Who Needs Forever? (Thievery Corporation Remix)

Lard , Forkboy

Spoon - I Ain't The One

Lana Del Rey - Wildflower Wildfire

J. Balvin, Dua Lipa, Bad Bunny, Tainy - UN DIA

Foo Fighters - Times Like These

Witness Testifies She Saw R. Kelly Perform a ‘Sexual Act’ on Aaliyah When the Singer Was Just a Teen; Second Male Accuser Takes the Stand

Vermeer's 'hidden' Cupid is the enigmatic artist's latest mystery

New hypothesis argues the universe simulates itself into existence

Free your mind and the rest will follow -- Megan Rapinoe's New Book Club Isn't Meant For Surface-Level Conversation

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

800.jpeg

Can kids be harmed wearing masks to protect against COVID? (AP Illustration/Peter Hamlin)

Eli Lilly to supply the U.S. government with doses of COVID-19 treatment etesevimab for $330 million

MIKE EDISON & GUADALUPE PLATA - John Henry

Seventy Sevens - This Is The Way Love Is

Teenage Jesus and the Jerks - Baby doll

John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman - You're Too Beautiful

Wes Montgomery - A Day In The Life

Sparks - Beat The Clock

Bob Dylan - Baby, Let Me Follow You Down

Mitski - Your Best American Girl

Garbage - No Gods No Masters

Chi-Lites - Give More Power To The People

Lydia Lunch - Lightning's Girl

Bo Diddley - Pills

James Chance & the Contortions - I Can't Stand Myself

The Hospitals - Song 1

D.O.A - I'm Right You're Wrong

Richard Hell & The Voidoids - Who Says?

Dry Cleaning - Scratchcard Lanyard

1000.jpeg

Workers wrap the Arc de Triomphe monument, Wednesday, Sept. 15, 2021 in Paris. The "L'Arc de Triomphe, Wrapped" project by late artist Christo and Jeanne-Claude will be on view from, Sept. 18 to Oct. 3. The famed Paris monument will be wrapped in 25,000 square meters of fabric in silvery blue, and with 3,000 meters of red rope. (AP Photo/Francois Mori)

Paris’ Arc de Triomphe is being wrapped in fabric

tumblr_lnl6psoVj61qfr6udo1_400.gifv

Sand, Catan, piñatas lead Toy Hall of Fame finalists

1000.jpeg

A truck drives past pump jacks operating at the Inglewood Oil Field, Thursday, June 10, 2021, in Los Angeles. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)

At 101, she’s still hauling lobsters with no plans to stop

Whitey Goes on 3 Day Space Vacation, and All I Got Was this Lousy Tee Shirt -- SpaceX launches 4 amateurs on private Earth-circling trip

A Former Fox Exec Is Set to Clean Up ABC News. ‘Livid’ Staffers Say He’s Failing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Jane Powell, Hollywood golden-age musicals star, dies at 92

Jane Powell, the bright-eyed, operatic-voiced star of Hollywood’s golden age musicals who sang with Howard Keel in “Seven Brides for Seven Brothers” and danced with Fred Astaire in “Royal Wedding,” has died. She was 92.

Powell died Thursday at her Wilton, Connecticut, home, longtime friend Susan Granger said. Granger said Powell died of natural causes.

“Jane was the most wonderful friend,” Granger said. ”She was candid, she was honest. You never asked Jane a question you didn’t want an absolutely honest answer to.”

Granger was a youngster when she met the then-teenaged Powell, who was making her film debut in 1944′s “Song of the Open Road,” directed by Granger’s father, S. Sylvan Simon.

She performed virtually her whole life, starting about age 5 as a singing prodigy on radio in Portland, Oregon. On screen, she quickly graduated from teen roles to the lavish musical productions that were a 20th-century Hollywood staple.

Her 1950 casting in “Royal Wedding” came by default. June Allyson was first announced as Astaire’s co-star but withdrew when she became pregnant. Judy Garland was cast, but was withdrawn because of personal problems. Jane Powell was next in line.

“They had to give it to me,” she quipped at the time. “Everybody else is pregnant.” Also among the expectant MGM stars: Lana Turner, Esther Williams, Cyd Charisse and Jean Hagen.

Powell had just turned 21 when she got the role; Astaire was 50. She was nervous because she lacked dancing experience, but she found him “very patient and understanding. We got along fine from the start.”

“Seven Brides for Seven Brothers” proved to be a 1954 “sleeper” hit.

“The studio didn’t think it was going to do anything,” she recalled in 2000. “MGM thought that `Brigadoon’ was going to be the big moneymaker that year. It didn’t turn out that way. We were the ones that went to the Radio City Music Hall, which was always such a coup.”

The famed New York venue was a movie theater then.

Audiences were overwhelmed by the lusty singing of Keel and Powell and especially by the gymnastic choreography of Michael Kidd. “Seven Brides” achieved classic status and resulted in a TV series and a Broadway musical.

“Blonde and small and pretty, Jane Powell had the required amount of grit and spunk that was needed to play the woman who could tame seven backwoodsmen,” John Kobal wrote in his book “Gotta Sing Gotta Dance: A Pictorial History of Film Musicals.”

After 13 years at MGM, though, Powell quit the studio, reasoning that she was going to be fired “because they weren’t going to be doing musicals anymore."

“I thought I’d have a lot of studios to go to,” she said in 2000, “but I didn’t have any, because no one wanted to make musicals. It was very difficult, and quite a shock to me. There’s nothing worse than not being wanted.”

She found one musical at RKO, “The Girl Most Likely,” a 1958 remake of “Tom, Dick and Harry.” Aside from a couple of minor films, her movie career was over.

She was born Suzanne Lorraine Burce in Portland, Oregon, in 1928. She began singing on local radio as a small child, and as she grew, her voice developed into a clear, high-pitched soprano.

When the Burce family planned a trip to Los Angeles, the radio station asked if Suzanne would appear on a network talent show there. The tiny girl with a 2½-octave voice drew thunderous applause with an aria from “Carmen” and was quickly put under contract to MGM.

Her first movie was a loanout to an independent producer for “Song of the Open Road,” a 1944 mishmash with W.C. Fields (at the end of his career) and Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy.

The character’s name in “Song of the Open Road” was Jane Powell, and MGM decided that that would be her movie name.

She played teens in such films as “Holiday in Mexico,” “Three Daring Daughters” and “A Date With Judy.” But she pleaded with the studio bosses to be given grown-up roles and finally succeeded in “Royal Wedding.”

Frothy romances and musicals continued to dominate her career, including “Young, Rich and Pretty,” “Small Town Girl” and “Three Sailors and a Girl.”

After her movie career ended, musical theater offered plenty of work for a star of her prominence and talent. She sang in supper clubs, toured in such shows as “The Unsinkable Molly Brown” and “I Do! I Do!” and replaced Debbie Reynolds in the Broadway run of “Irene.”

She frequently appeared on television, notably in the Judy Garland role in a new version of “Meet Me in St. Louis.”

As she approached her 70s, Powell abandoned her singing career. “I can’t hit the high notes, and I won’t be second-rate,” she explained in 2000. She switched to drama, appearing in New York theater in such plays as “Avow,” portraying mother of an unmarried, pregnant daughter and a son who wanted to marry his male partner.

Powell’s first four marriages ended in divorce: to Geary Steffen (son Geary, daughter Suzanne), Patrick Nerney (daughter Lindsay), James Fitzgerald and David Parlour.

Powell met fifth husband Dick Moore when he interviewed her for his book about child actors. As Dickie Moore, he had been a well-known child actor in the 1930s and ’40s and gave Shirley Temple her first screen kiss in “Miss Annie Rooney” (1942). Moore, head of a New York public relations office, and Powell married in 1988. He died in 2015.

Jane Powell’s survivors include her daughter, Lindsey Nerney, Granger said.

-- Lynn Elber

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 3

0_sb5fstQyUqXWhGzhSY57nUTY_RLNWqp50HbzYC

Photo courtesy of California State Parks

Fire crews struggling to save California giant sequoias

1000.jpeg

In this Aug. 31, 2021 file photo medical professionals pronate a 39 year old unvaccinated COVID-19 patient in the Medical Intensive care unit (MICU) at St. Luke's Boise Medical Center in Boise, Idaho. Idaho's public health leaders have expanded health care rationing statewide amid a massive increase in the number of coronavirus patients requiring hospitalization. The Idaho Department of Health and Welfare made the announcement Thursday, Sept. 16, 2021. St. Luke's Health System, Idaho's largest hospital network, asked state health leaders to allow "crisis standards of care" on Wednesday because the increase in COVID-19 patients has exhausted the state's medical resources. (AP Photo/Kyle Green, File)

How to Make Sense of COVID-19 Data in the Delta Era

MMIW-1538-W-SUPERIOR-ST-FW2.jpg

The billboards have appeared in states from Arizona to Montana, and now Minnesota. Duluth was chosen as the first location in Minnesota after appeals from the local community/Photo Circle News

US tribes demand emergency protection for wolves

Foo Fighters - Shame Shame

Jack White - Ball and Biscuit/Don’t Hurt Yourself/Jesus Is Coming Soon

Polyphia - G.O.A.T.

Portishead - Magic Doors

Chasing Shadows - ILL

Wet Leg - Chaise Longue

Lana Del Rey - Text Book

MASHUP - Tear You Apart + Bela Lugosi's Dead - DJ ALANT Mix - She wants revenge / Bauhaus Re-Upload

She Wants Revenge - Tear You Apart

Red Rider - Lunatic Fringe

Mick Ronson - Slaughter On The 10th Avenue

Bette Midler Art or Bust Delores DeLago - I (We) Will Survive!

Modern Minstrelsy -- Julianne Hough Responds to 'The Activist' Criticism & Expresses 'Regret' Over Blackface Costume

The Facebook Files -- A Wall Street Journal investigation

South Dakota man recycles his collection of a million aluminum cans to raise $105K for Make-A-Wish

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

1000.jpeg

Two Camden Elementary School students in masks listen as South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster talks about steps the school is taking to fight COVID-19, Wednesday, Sept. 15, 2021, in Camden, S.C. McMaster has adamantly and repeatedly come out against requiring masks in schools even as the average number of daily COVID-19 cases in the state has risen since early June. (AP Photo/Jeffrey Collins)

CDC was never prepared for a crisis like COVID-19, Gottlieb says

1000.jpeg

This photo provided by the Southern Area Blue Incident Management Team on Thursday, Sept. 16, 2021, shows the giant sequoia known as the General Sherman Tree with its base wrapped in a fire-resistant blanket to protect it from the intense heat of approaching wildfires at Sequoia National Forest in California. (Southern Area Blue Incident Management Team via AP)

California wildfires burn into groves of giant sequoia trees

1000.jpeg

In this Jan. 30, 2020 file photo, a ThyssenKrupp coking plant steams around the clock for the nearby steel mill in Duisburg, Germany. The cuts in greenhouse gas emissions pledged by governments around the world aren't enough to achieve the headline goal of the Paris climate accord, according to a United Nations report published Friday. The U.N. climate office said it reviewed all the national commitments submitted by Paris pact signatories until July 30 and found that they would result in emissions of planet-warming gas rising nearly 16% by 2030, compared with 2010 levels. (AP Photo/Martin Meissner, File)

Inquiry puts ex-World Bank officials under scrutiny on China

Montell Jordan - This Is How We Do It

New Edition - If It Isn't Love

Karyn White-The Way You Love Me

Levert - Casanova

Al B. Sure! - Off On Your Own Girl

Color Me Badd - I Wanna Sex You Up

Janet Jackson - Rhythm Nation

Bobby Brown - Don't Be Cruel

PM Dawn - Set A Drift On Memory Bliss

Jade - Don't Walk Away

Babyface ft. Toni Braxton - Give U My Heart

Mac Band Featuring The McCampbell Brothers - Roses Are Red

Joe Public - Live and Learn

Teddy Riley & Tammy Lucas - Is It Good To You

How Bessie Smith Influenced A Century Of Popular Music

1000.jpeg

In this file photo dated Wednesday June 16 2021, Notre-Dame cathedral is pictured two years after the cathedral was ravaged by a fire, in Paris. After more than two-years of work to stabilize and protect it after the shocking fire that tore through its roof and knocked down its spire, France’s Notre Dame Cathedral is finally stable and secure enough for artisans to start rebuilding it, according to a government statement Saturday Sept. 18, 2021. (Thomas Samson, Pool FILE via AP)

France’s Notre Dame cathedral secured at last. Next: rebuild

Brian Laundrie’s family tells police, FBI he is missing

Japanese school students sent a message in a bottle. 37 years later, it washed up in Hawaii

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

AAOBh2s.img?h=600&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

Health care workers work inside the Regeneron Clinic at a monoclonal antibody treatment site in Pembroke Pines, Florida, on August 19, 2021. - Florida Governor Ron DeSantis announced the opening of the Covid-19 antibody treatment site. DeSantis continues to promote the monoclonal antibody treatments as cases and hospitalizations spike in Florida. Starting Wednesday, C.B. Smith Park will start offering the antibody treatment from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. seven days a week. The site will be able to treat over 300 patients a day/Photo by Chandan Khanna/AFP via Getty Image

Seven Southern states account for 70% of US orders for monoclonal antibodies, the treatment of choice for many vaccine refusers

_xlarge.jpeg

Flames from KNP Complex Fire burn along California's Sequoia National Park Monday, September 14/CNN Photo 

The planet is on a 'catastrophic' global warming path, UN report shows

210918192754-spacex-inspiration4-exlarge

Photo CNN

Whitey Reenters Atmosphere -- SpaceX capsule returns four civilians from orbit, capping off first tourism mission

Little Simz - Introvert

Smashing Pumpkins - Quiet

The Beatles - Get Back (Take 8)

Halsey - I am not a woman, I'm a god

Dwight Yoakam - Missing Heart

Jack White - Lazaretto

The Crystal Method feat. The Heavy - Play For Real

Dirty Vegas - Days Go By

Groove Armada - Final Shakedown

ROSALÍA & Ozuna - Yo x Ti, Tu x Mi

Mirah - The Garden

Radiohead - Little By Little

Kylie Minogue - Slow (Chemical Brothers Remix)

The Next Great American Novelist - You Are My Sunshine

Zeus - Kindergarten

Kid Cudi writes tribute to Lil Nas X, while criticizing homophobia in hip-hop

Facebook has an invisible system that shelters powerful rule-breakers. So do other online platforms.

The Uproar Over the “Ultimate American Bible” Saints preserve us from Christianists and Prosperity theology.

210917221513-holy-family-painting-iona-c

The 17th century painting was created by Cesare Dandini and is called the "Holy Family with the Infant St. John."

College professor recognizes 17th century masterpiece hanging in a nearby church

FBI offers $10,000 reward for information on the disappearance of Native American woman

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4

800.jpeg

In this Dec. 15, 2020, file photo, a droplet falls from a syringe after a person was injected with the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine at a hospital in Providence, R.I. (AP Photo/David Goldman, File)

Coronavirus News: Health official: Booster use may be expanded

800.jpeg

In this Thursday, July 29, 2021 file photo, birds fly over a man taking photos of the exposed riverbed of the Old Parana River, a tributary of the Parana River during a drought in Rosario, Argentina. Parana River Basin and its related aquifers provide potable water to close to 40 million people in South America, and according to environmentalists the falling water levels of the river are due to climate change, diminishing rainfall, deforestation and the advance of agriculture. (AP Photo/Victor Caivano, File)

UN to world leaders: To curtail warming, you must do more

food-tank_NP_true-cost-accounting_4-e152

Photo FoodTank

Human rights could address the health and environmental costs of food production

Tori Amos - Strange Little Girl

Soda Blonde - In The Heat Of The Night

The Ink Spots - I Don't Want To Set The World On Fire

The Japanese House - Something Has to Change

Duran Duran - Girls on Film

Big Thief - Not

esperanza spalding quartet "jazz sous les pommiers 2008"

Ray Noble and His Orchestra Vocal - Al Bowlly - Midnight, the Stars and You

BEACH HOUSE - MYTH

MC Blitzy feat. Luis Fonsi & Nicole Scherzinger – She’s BINGO

James Blake feat. Rosalía - Barefoot In The Park

Leon Bridges - River

The Avalanches - Because I'm Me

FKA twigs - cellophane

Bjork - Hyperballad

Deep Sea Diver - Impossible Weight

The Beths - Idea/Intent

Emmy Awards 2021: The Full Winners List

1000.jpeg

U.S. Customs and Border Protection mounted officers attempt to contain migrants as they cross the Rio Grande from Ciudad Acuña, Mexico, into Del Rio, Texas, Sunday, Sept. 19, 2021. Thousands of Haitian migrants have been arriving to Del Rio, Texas, as authorities attempt to close the border to stop the flow of migrants. (AP Photo/Felix Marquez)

US launches mass expulsion of Haitian migrants from Texas

1491586213475.jpeg

Photo Travel Channel

Australia's Fraser Island officially restored to Aboriginal name K'Gari

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

I'm writing a book about all

the things I should be doing in my life.

It's called an oughtobiography.

• LOL 6
21 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

I'm writing a book about all

the things I should be doing in my life.

It's called an oughtobiography.

I got some boots from a drug dealer

I don't know what he laced them with

But whenever I wear them

I'm tripping all day

• LOL 6

1000.jpeg

This photo made available by the Library of Congress shows a demonstration at the Red Cross Emergency Ambulance Station in Washington during the influenza pandemic of 1918. Historians think the pandemic started in Kansas in early 1918, and by winter 1919 the virus had infected a third of the global population and killed at least 50 million people, including 675,000 Americans. Some estimates put the toll as high as 100 million. (Library of Congress via AP, File)

COVID-19 has killed about as many Americans as the 1918-19 flu

FedEx is raising its shipping rates

1000.jpeg

Lava erupts from a volcano near El Paso on the island of La Palma in the Canaries, Spain, Monday Sept. 20, 2021. Giant rivers of lava are tumbling slowly but relentlessly toward the sea after a volcano, seen in backround, erupted on a Spanish island off northwest Africa. The lava is destroying everything in its path but prompt evacuations helped avoid casualties after Sunday's eruption. (K*** Rincon, Europa Press via AP)

Nerves on edge on Spanish island as quakes, lava threaten

210920124415-weather-tropical-altantic-s

Photo NOAA Tropical Atlantic Satellite 

all-city-candy-twix-cookie-bar-179-oz-ca

The 2021 Halloween Candy Power Rankings, week 1: Best wrappers

Andrew Bird - Sisyphus

Robin S/Sarah Nelson - Show Me Love

Kungs vs Cookin’ on 3 Burners - This Girl

The Beths - Auckland, New Zealand, 2020

Loud Luxury feat. brando - Body

Robin Schulz feat. Francesco Yates - Sugar

Bakermat - Baianá

Lanterns on the Lake - When It All Comes True

Mikaela Davis - In My Groove

Big Red Machine feat. Fleet Foxes & Anaïs Mitchell - Phoenix

Dirty Loops & Cory Wong - Follow The Light

VULFPECK - Disco Ulysses

The Chainsmokers - Don't Let Me Down

Kitten - Memphis

Metric - Gold Guns Girls

Paulinho Nogueira ‎– O Fino Do Violão Vol. 2

Aurora - Conqueror

Haitian journey to Texas border starts in South America

Anthony Johnson, 'Friday' actor and comedian, has died

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4

210921123140-01-funeral-home-vaccination

A black truck advertising for "Wilmore Funeral Home" had a very stark message for the unvaccinated filling the streets of downtown Charlotte Sunday/CNN Photo

Between Covid-19 and the flu, health care professionals are bracing themselves for the winter ahead, expert says

20210919_122915-1030x773.jpg

The flag installation on the National Mall, in Washington, DC for those that have died from COVID-19/Photo Carole Michaels

210316134817-03-wisdom-project-autumn-ex

Autumn in Hurd Park, Dover, New Jersey, features fall foliage on cherry trees/CNN Photo

Sweater Weather Fall: The season of cozy, delicious, wisdom-inducing rediscovery

Pretend it’s already fall with Maple Cream Soda

Parliament - Give Up The Funk Tear The Roof Off

ROSALÍA, & J Balvin ft. El Guincho - Con Altura

Letters To Cleo - Here and Now

Aimee Mann - Wise Up

Snail Mail - Pristine

HOT CLUB DU NAX - Joseph Joseph

Tiësto & Karol G - Don't Be Shy

Grouplove - Ways To Go

Oasis-Live at Knebworth Park

Molly Tuttle - Good Enough

Fugi - Revelations

Thao & Mirah - Little Cup

Fiona Apple - Not About Love

Led Zeppelin - Black Dog (Live at Madison Square Garden 1973)

Gary U.S. Bond - It's Only Love

Daddy Yankee & Snow - Con Calma

Gabby Petito’s disappearance, and why it was absolutely everywhere, explained

b63742bffd0af3cfab8f32b3796c36f5.jpg

"Diego y yo" ("Diego and I") by Frida Kahlo 

This emotive Frida Kahlo self-portrait is expected to sell for a record $30 million

The Rolling Stones Pay Tribute to Charlie Watts During First Show Since His Death

Willie Garson, ‘Sex and the City’ and ‘White Collar’ Actor, Dies at 57

Sarah Dash who sang on ‘Lady Marmalade’ with Labelle, dies

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

lake-mead-bathtub-ring-16x7.jpg

Photo Las Vegas Valley Water District

There's a 1-in-3 chance Lake Powell won't be able to generate hydropower in 2023 due to drought conditions, new study says

Coroner IDs remains, says Gabby Petito was homicide victim

Op-Ed: Just teach the truth about America's less-than-glorious history

Advice for a young idealist: Find a lonely cause

3500.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=forma

Container ships sit in the ocean waiting to unload their cargo at the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach on 22 September. Photograph: Mike Blake/Reuters

The sad, predictable limits of America’s “economic recovery”

Rural Nevada county details opposition to ‘Innovation Zones’ -- Where's the water coming from?

DJ Khaled ft. Drake - POPSTAR

Doja Cat ft. SZA - Kiss Me More

24kGoldn ft. iann dior - Mood

Wallows ft Clairo - Are You Bored Yet?

Ashnikko - Daisy

SAINt JHN - Gorgeous

JC Stewart - Break My Heart

Madison Beer - Selfish

The Kid LAROI - WITHOUT YOU

jxdn - Think About Me

Ariana Grande - positions

Lenny Kravitz - Raise Vibration

Billie Eilish - Therefore I Am

Travis Scott feat. Young Thug & M.I.A. - FRANCHISE

Olivia Rodrigo - good 4 u

Download patterns of catchy music resemble infectious diseases spread curves, says study

'We are not out of the woods yet.' Even as US Covid-19 case numbers decline, expert warns of potential spikes

Melvin Van Peebles, trailblazing director and Black cinema champion, has died

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

thunberg-climate-strike-berlin-march-201

Demonstrators taking part in Fridays for Future's global climate strike in Berlin, Germany. (Tobias Schwarz/AFP/Getty Images)

UPDATE: Wind-Driven Fawn Fire Near Redding Explodes To 5,500 Acres; Suspected Arsonist Arrested

Analysis: A ‘United’ Nations, navigating a fractured world

Covid-19 vaccine boosters can begin for some US adults as CDC partially diverges from its advisers' recommendations

El Vy - No Time To Crank The Sun

Drake ft. Lil Durk - Laugh Now Cry Later

BTS (방탄소년단) - Butter

Evanescence - Use My Voice

The Killers - My Own Soul’s Warning

KAROL G - BICHOTA

Kings Of Leon - The Bandit

Bleachers - Stop Making This Hurt

Billie Eilish & ROSALÍA - Lo Vas A Olvidar

LORN - ANVIL

Glass Animals - Heat Waves

Twenty One Pilots - Shy Away

WILLOW ft. Travis Barker -- t r a n s p a r e n t s o u l

Bad Bunny x Jhay Cortez - Dákiti

SZA - Good Days

1000.jpeg

This undated image provided by the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s office of public affairs shows a 3,500-year-old artifact, known as the Gilgamesh Dream Tablet. The tablet contains a portion of the Epic of Gilgamesh, considered one of the earliest surviving works of notable literature. (U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement via AP)

The viral photo of Haitian migrants taps into the dark echoes of American history

From the Celebrity Perv Apology Generator -- While I do not recall the events at the 2021 Emmys Party transpiring the same way, I am deeply ashamed (but not “sorry” because that means I’m guilty of something). It was simply boys locker room talk, and of course now I realize my behavior was wrong. In conclusion, I will not change anything about my actions or behavior.

Seresto flea collar adverse incidents climb after company submits 11,000 more reports to EPA

800.jpeg

This combination of two undated photos released by Guinness World Records on Tuesday, Sept. 21, 2021, show sisters Umeno Sumiyama, left, and Koume Kodama at separate nursing homes in Shodoshima island, left, and Oita prefecture, Japan. The two Japanese twin sisters have been certified by Guinness World Records as the world's oldest living identical twins, aged 107 years and 300 days as of Sept. 1, 2021, the organization said Monday, Sept. 20, 2021. (Guinness World Records via AP)

Japanese sisters certified as world’s oldest twins at 107

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

AAONPVx.img?h=798&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

© Reuters/Coalition To Stop Violence Against Native Women 

Amid attention on Petito case, Native mother seeks justice

e5a55508-d7ca-4ab9-9aaf-f39829022740-rea

Street art by Pure Genius/NYC

Why won’t Americans get vaccinated?

Giveon - Heartbreak Anniversary

H.E.R. ft. Chris Brown - Come Through

(G)I-DLE) - DUMDi DUMDi

Demi Lovato - Dancing With The Devil

Kane Brown - Worldwide Beautiful

Lorde - Mood Ring

ROSALÍA - DE AQUÍ NO SALES

Little Simz ft. Obongjayar - Point and Kill

Jain - Oh Man

Gorillaz ft. Alicaì Harley - Déjà Vu

Best Coast - When I'm With You

The Beths - Future Me Hates Me

Night Club - Show It 2 Me

Ini Kamoze - Here Comes The Hotstepper

En Vogue - My Lovin' (You're Never Gonna Get It)

210923134947-03-ida-caskets-louisiana-sc

In some areas Ironton Cemetery is covered in knee-deep muck left by Hurricane Ida/CNN

Gov Newsom signs $15-billion package to fight climate change, wildfire, and drought

210923-monarch-butterflies-1-cs-0e643b.j

Sebastian Schell, Joe Sarapochillo, former Navy SEAL Mark Matzeldelaflor and Ole Schell on Ole's ranch in Bolinas, Calif., on Sept. 12. Part of the 206-acre ranch is dedicated to a butterfly preserve./Clara Mokri for NBC News

174191bb116e48819e3d90930b21b4b7.jpg

In this July 2021 photo provided by Sea Shepherd, a Chinese-flagged ship fishes for squid at night on the high seas off the west coast of South America. The number of Chinese-flagged vessels in the south Pacific has surged 10-fold from 54 active vessels in 2009 to 557 in 2020, according to the South Pacific Regional Fisheries Management Organization, or SPRFMO, an inter-governmental group of 15 members charged with ensuring the conservation and sustainable fishing of the species. Meanwhile, the size of its catch has grown from 70,000 tons in 2009 to 358,000. (Isaac Haslam/Sea Shepherd via AP)

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3

d48897cf-3221-465b-91ad-eeee4f8519b9-lar

In this Sept. 17, 2021, file photo, Zoe Nassimoff, of Argentina, looks at white flags that are part of artist Suzanne Brennan Firstenberg's temporary art installation, "In America: Remember," in remembrance of Americans who have died of COVID-19, on the National Mall in Washington. (AP Photo/Brynn Anderson, File)

'We will not boost our way out of this pandemic,' CDC director says as 70 million eligible Americans remain unvaccinated

Os Tincoãs - Deixa A Gira Girar

Kylie Minogue - Slow (INFINITE DISCO)

Sona Jobarteh & Band - dJarabi

Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band - My City of Ruins

Cuba Feliz - Lagrimas Negras

Nightmares on Wax - You Wish

ROSALÍA - Aute Cuture

Beck - Up All Night

Fiona Apple - Fast As You Can

Best Coast - When I'm With You

Alberta Cross - Taking Control

Beastie Boys - Sabotage

AZEALIA BANKS - 212 FT

Gorillaz - On Melancholy Hill

Fall has arrived, just not for everyone

GettyImages-1210662764.jpg

Marathon Oil processing plant, Long Beach, California/David McNew/File Photo Getty Images

Celebrity Perv Apology Generator -- "As a male feminist, I am deeply ashamed (but not “sorry” because that means I’m guilty of something). I imagined that any woman would have been thrilled to see a tiny penis peeking out from below my pasty, middle-aged paunch like the head of a geriatric albino turtle moments from death, and of course now I realize my behavior was wrong. In conclusion, I have chosen to live my life as a gay man so if you say anything bad about me now you’re homophobic."

Blackness and Latinidad are not mutually exclusive. Here's what it means to be Afro-Latino in America

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I finally saw my GP two weeks ago and discussed my headaches and those halos. She put a request in to the hospital for me to get a CT scan and I have one scheduled for Tuesday at 6 PM. I'm nervous. 

Good luck, Jewel21!  Keep us posted.

• Love 8

3059.jpg?width=445&quality=45&auto=forma

Street Art by Hijack Art in Los Angeles. Photograph: Courtesy of the artist

Massachusetts troopers to quit over vaccine mandate; New York contingency plan in place ahead of deadline: COVID-19 updates

Within the past 50 years, the global community has solved two huge problems that had the potential to harm every person on Earth. Smallpox once killed 30% of the people who contracted the disease but through the invention of an effective, safe vaccine and an intense effort that began in the 1960s, smallpox was completely eradicated by 1980. In the 1980s, scientists discovered a hole in the ozone layer that protects the Earth from UV radiation; further depletion would have caused major problems with the world’s food supply and an epidemic of skin cancer. Forty years later, we’ve virtually eliminated the chemicals causing the depletion and ozone losses have stabilized and have recently shown improvement. So how did we do it? The short video above talks through each of challenges, how they were met (science + politics + a bit of luck), and how we might apply these lessons to the big problems of today (climate emergency, the pandemic).

Janelle Monáe ft Big Boi - Tightrope

The Sheepdogs - Who?

Aphex Twin - Windowlicker

ROSALÍA - PIENSO EN TU MIRÁ

Fiona Apple - Shadowboxer

No Sinner - Love is a Madness

Daft Punk - Lose Yourself to Dance

Django Reinhardt & Stéphane Grappelli - Jattendrai Swing

Nona Hendryx and Disciples of Sun Ra in the Temple

The Bahamas ft. The Secret Sisters - Half Your Love

The Staves - In The Long Run

Stephen Lynch - She Gotta Smile

Jon Batiste - FREEDOM

When Nirvana Came to Britain

AR-210929237.jpg&NCS_modified=2021092709

Emergency authorities early on Monday ordered people in an area on the eastern shore of La Palma island to lock down as the lava gushing from the Cumbre Vieja volcano approaches the sea/Photo Khaleej Times

Authorities lock down coastal area in La Palma as lava approaches sea

dress-over-jeans-lead-1508336020.jpg?cro

Street wear NYFW 2021/Harper's Bazaar

Save Us. The Trend of Wearing Skirts Over Pants Is Back.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 5
On 9/26/2021 at 10:14 AM, jewel21 said:

I finally saw my GP two weeks ago and discussed my headaches and those halos. She put a request in to the hospital for me to get a CT scan and I have one scheduled for Tuesday at 6 PM. I'm nervous. 

O Lord, attend and steady Jewel for her medical examination. Grant to Jewel the shield of faith through Your Holy Spirit to protect her and guide the hands of her doctor's to do Your will. The future we put into Your hands, O Lord, and guide us to Your service and glory. Amen.

• Love 6

I have gone down the rabbit hole of watching Australian cop series, like Murder Call, City Homicide, and now Water Rats. They are quite entertaining.

I think I am on Season 3 of Water Rats and was completely stunned to see Helene Joy as a young nymphy seductress! She is more well known to us as Dr. Julia Ogden in Murdoch Mysteries.

I also discovered this song on Water Rats that was so haunting that I looked it up and it is by a musician/singer named Cathi Ogden.  Here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KmFO867Jj4&list=RD-KmFO867Jj4&index=1

It turns out that she was in a band called The Sheilas (!!).

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, bannana said:

I have gone down the rabbit hole of watching Australian cop series, like Murder Call, City Homicide, and now Water Rats. They are quite entertaining.

I think I am on Season 3 of Water Rats and was completely stunned to see Helene Joy as a young nymphy seductress! She is more well known to us as Dr. Julia Ogden in Murdoch Mysteries.

I also discovered this song on Water Rats that was so haunting that I looked it up and it is by a musician/singer named Cathi Ogden.  Here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KmFO867Jj4&list=RD-KmFO867Jj4&index=1

It turns out that she was in a band called The Sheilas (!!).

Where can I watch these Australian shows?  Netflix?  

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

16kelly-defense-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1

Photo NYTimes

R. Kelly convicted of racketeering and sex trafficking

Ishiuchi Miyako: Postwar Shadows

Pfizer/BioNTech submit initial data on Covid-19 vaccine for people ages 5 to 11 to FDA, but aren't seeking EUA yet

How does progress happen?

Stevie Nicks - For What It's Worth

Orville Peck & Shania Twain - Legends Never Die

Judy Clay - Bed Of Roses

JD McPherson - Head Over Heels

Margie Joseph - Sweeter tomorrow

Charlie Thompson - The Automobile Song

Louise McCord - Better Get A Move On

The Bellfuries - Loving Arms

Carla Thomas - Gee Whiz

Whitey Morgan and the 78's - Waitin' Round to Die

Barbara & The Browns - My Lover

Pokey LaFarge - Fine to Me

Roz Ryan - You're my Only Temptation

Jean & The Darlings - How Can You Mistreat The One You Love

The Tonettes - No Tears

GettyImages-1234984712_yyf89z

Daily Beast Photo/JOSH EDELSON

We’ve Been Fighting Fire for a Century. It’s Not Working—and There’s a Better Way.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

IMG_2260-scaled-e1585066859456.jpg

Mural by Mike Fudge on Cottonwood Center for the Arts, Colorado Springs, Colorado

The Latest: UN reports 10% global drop in new virus cases

1000.jpeg

Lava from a volcano reaches the sea on the Canary island of La Palma, Spain in the early hours of Wednesday Sept. 29, 2021. Lava from the new volcano on the Canary Island of La Palma reached the Atlantic ocean last night, at the area known as Los Guirres beach, also known as Playa Nueva (New Beach). (AP Photo/Saul Santos)

Lava from La Palma eruption reaches the Atlantic

1772.jpg?width=880&quality=85&auto=forma

A green sea turtle hatchling cautiously surfaces for air, to a sky full of hungry birds, Heron Island, Queensland, Australia. Winner: Young Ocean Photographer of the Year/Photograph: Hannah Le Leu

image.png.84fbb49b7d02ed2e474c20397a3379

Devo - Beautiful World

ANNETTE THOMAS - NOTHING IS EVERLASTING

Gorillaz ft. Beck - The Valley of the Pagans

The Emotions - If You Think It (You May As Well Do It)

The Beths - Auckland, New Zealand, 2020

Shirley Brown - Woman To Woman

ROSALÍA - MALAMENTE

THE MAR-KEYS - Last Night

Sona Jobarteh - GAMBIA

The Canes - Why Should I Suffer With The Blues

Missy Elliott feat. Pharrell Williams - WTF (Where They From)

The Del-Rios - Just Across the Street

Prince Live - Play That Funky Music

Thievery Corporation - Full Performance (Live on KEXP)

Barbara Stephens - That's The Way It Is With Me

Attention on Gabby Petito case helps bring a different missing person case to an end

FAT-e_pVIAQDQZf.jpeg

"Take the Money and Run," pictured at the Kunsten Museum of Art in Aalborg, Denmark. Credit: Kunsten Museum of Modern Art, Aalborg

A museum lent an artist $84K — so he kept the money and called it 'art'

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Has anyone heard anything from Jewel? I can't stop thinking about her.

Her CT was at 6 pm last night. Maybe she was just tired from the whole experience and will be here something today. 🤞🏻

Edited by PatsyandEddie
  • Love 6
18 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

And sadly, people follow this.  I have my own life/reality.

I just don't get it.  

I'm an old fart......

It's not being old, it's having enough sense not to care about idiot "celebrities". I love that in Europe they're referred to as "spectacles".

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
54 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

Quick question.....

Why don't the Kardashians just. go. away?  They've got more money than Croesus.

Their job is to show up at parties and venues, bringing media attention along with the Kardashian's and the products they promote/sell under their brand name. Clothing brands they wear sell out. Makeup they wear or develop sell out. Purses they carry sell out. Plastic surgery and "beauty" regimens they use are booked solid. Drugs, games, baby food, cars, streaming of past seasons of their reality show all sell out

It's all about the money, because for this brand of lower case celebrity there will never be enough money.

Youth is fleeting. Multiple divorce's cost lawyer money. Ugly break up's and bad press take their toll. The Kardashian's have no other talent and no other reason for being than to sell themselves and their name.

Gotta' make money while the sun shines.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
26 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

Oh, I get the whole fame whore/make money while the sun shines thing.

I'm just tired of seeing them on my TV, computer, everywhere I look.  I can't escape them, man.....

😥

You and me both, Sister.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

For the first time since June, the number of projected Covid-19 deaths in the US is decreasing

Colors-of-the-Moon-619x639.jpeg

Colors of the Moon

Foes united vs Facebook over Instagram’s effect on teens

My Time with Kurt Cobain

Booker T. & the MGs - Behave Yourself

Fiona Apple - Across The Universe

WILLIAM BELL - Any Other Way

DAVID BOWIE ~ YOUR TURN TO DRIVE ~ TOY SESSIONS 2001

Carla Thomas - I’ll Bring It Home To You

Janelle Monáe feat. Erykah Badu - Q.U.E.E.N.

Otis Redding - These Arms Of Mine

Rosalía - De Plata

Deanie Parker & The Valadors - My Imaginary Guy

Oscar Mack - Don't Be Afraid of Love

Gorillaz ft. Leee John - The Lost Chord

Cheryl & Pam Johnson - That's My Guy

Bobby Marchan - What Can I Do

1000.jpeg

In this Oct. 23, 2017, file photo, the State House is surrounded by fall foliage in Augusta, Maine. Recent leaf-peeping seasons have been disrupted by weather conditions in New England, New York and elsewhere. Arborists and ecologists say the trend is likely to continue as the planet warms. (AP Photo/Robert F. Bukaty, File)

Why climate change is making it harder to chase fall foliage

Celebrity Perv Apology Generator -- "As a male feminist, I am deeply ashamed (but not “sorry” because that means I’m guilty of something). It was simply boys locker room talk, and of course now I realize my behavior was wrong. In conclusion, I will not change anything about my actions or behavior."

5568.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=forma

Video grab The Guardian

Britney Spears’ father suspended from conservatorship in victory for singer

Who are the 2021 MacArthur fellows?

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 6
5 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

Do we even need Halloween anymore?

I've been wearing a mask and eating candy for 14 months......

Nice!

• Love 6

This is a classic.....couldn't get the pic to load.  Ladies of a certain age will relate......

I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 60 years later. I don't have to go to school or work. I get an allowance every month. I have my own pad. I don't have a curfew. I have a driver's license and my own car. The people I hang around with are not scared of getting pregnant and I don't have acne. Life is great. I changed my car horn to gunshot sounds. People get out of the way much faster now.

Gone are the days when girls used to cook like their mothers. Now they drink like their fathers.

I didn't make it to the gym today. That makes five years in a row. I decided to stop calling the bathroom "John" and renamed it the "Jim". I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

Old age is coming at a really bad time.

When I was a child I thought "nap time" was a punishment. Now it feels like a small vacation.

The biggest lie I tell myself is... " I don't have to write that down, I'll remember it".

I don't have gray hair... I have "wisdom highlights"! I'm just very wise.

If God wanted me to touch my toes, He would've put them on my knees.

Last year I joined a support group for procrastinators. We haven't met yet.

Why do I have to press one for English when you're just going to transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?

Of course, I talk to myself. Sometimes I need expert advice.

At my age "Getting Lucky" means walking into a room and remembering what I came In there for.

I have more friends I should send this to, but right now I can't remember their names.

Now, I'm wondering... did I send this to you, or did you send it to me?

-----------------------------------------------------------

Raise a glass and celebrate yourself! 

Edited by OhioSongbird
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3

1080.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=forma

NYC - Plannedalism Photograph: Courtesy of the artist

The Latest: 2nd hospital in Alaska begins rationing care

Bidu Sous - Paper Lips

Connie Lush - 24 Hour Blues

Root Doctor - Reconsider Baby

Too Mutz Blues Band - Gotto Keep On Drinking

Lil Nas X - Jolene

Queenie & The Blue Cats - Blue Day

Son Jack Jr & Michael Wilde - Crawling Kingsnake

Walt's Blues Box - Rumours

Bad Daddy - Slow Blues

Bad Temper Joe - If Tears Were Diamonds

David Bowie - Story Tellers (1/3)

Mike Goudreau - Come Back Home

Andreas Diehlmann Band - Don't Go

Arbess Williams - Walking The Back Streets And Crying

Oscar LaDell & Chris Armour - Slow Burning Love

Roscoe Chenier - Waiting For My Tomorrow

Amleto Barboni - She Brings Me Down In Pain

Bermuda gets storm watch as Hurricane Sam swirls in Atlantic

Celebrity Perv Apology Generator-- "As a person who was born in an era before women were “people,” my actions do not align with my values, nor represent who I am as a person. I comforted myself by saying that at least I asked before I “honked” her boobs and demanded she watch me shower, and of course now I realize my behavior was wrong. In conclusion, I will devote my life to finding the real Golden Globes party molester."

The Pop Music You Listen to Really Does Matter

Box Tops for Education, 25 years later: The pros and cons of snacking for a cause

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Box Tops for Education, 25 years later: The pros and cons of snacking for a cause

Haha, I still have a plastic bag of those hanging on the side of my fridge. I used to have a coworker I gave them to and she always acted so happy to get them. But when I got laid off from that job I lost contact with her. And just the other day I was thinking, well I guess it's time I threw those away. I don't eat foods that had them, but I do use a lot of Kleenex and other paper products that had them. I thought that whole program expired anyway.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Well, cupid, looks like you listed Bobby Marchan recently...

Major PearliteLite fave--I can't count the times I've listened to "There's Something on Your Mind," while courting liver failure on YouTube night: "You just walk out that door..." Great talk-over.

• Love 5
46 minutes ago, pearlite said:

Well, cupid, looks like you listed Bobby Marchan recently...

Major PearliteLite fave--I can't count the times I've listened to "There's Something on Your Mind," while courting liver failure on YouTube night: "You just walk out that door..." Great talk-over.

Once in a while I get wood on the ball.

; )

• LOL 4
  • Love 2