Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Thank you. It's kind of a funny story. I was scrolling through the front page on Reddit and I saw her pic with this headline "This little angel just waltzed into our house this morning". Just this little, tiny thing. I went into the thread to congratulate them on getting a tortie and I see they can't keep her. On a whim I asked where they live and is it anywhere near Seattle. They're in Portland! And it just so happened that my DH was going to be in Battleground to visit his sister. We started talking and exchanged phone numbers and before I knew it there was a plan for them to meet him with the kitten the next morning. The nicest people in the world, they drove forty miles just so a stray kitten could have a good home.

Serendipity!  I love stories like this!

• Love 6
5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Thank you. It's kind of a funny story. I was scrolling through the front page on Reddit and I saw her pic with this headline "This little angel just waltzed into our house this morning". Just this little, tiny thing. I went into the thread to congratulate them on getting a tortie and I see they can't keep her. On a whim I asked where they live and is it anywhere near Seattle. They're in Portland! And it just so happened that my DH was going to be in Battleground to visit his sister. We started talking and exchanged phone numbers and before I knew it there was a plan for them to meet him with the kitten the next morning. The nicest people in the world, they drove forty miles just so a stray kitten could have a good home.

That's one VERY lucky kitten, to find those people and then to end up with you!  You're right, those are some pretty wonderful folks, and for you to then see the picture, them to that close, DH planning on heading that direction.  It was meant to be.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, boes said:

That's one VERY lucky kitten, to find those people and then to end up with you!  You're right, those are some pretty wonderful folks, and for you to then see the picture, them to that close, DH planning on heading that direction.  It was meant to be.

It had to be. And we love her so much. My DH has probably sent fifty pictures of her out to friends and relatives. Right now, she's sacked out on our bed, flat on her back. She's so uptight, lol.

• Love 7

1960s civil rights activist Robert Moses has died

Robert Parris Moses, a civil rights activist who was shot at and endured beatings and jail while leading Black voter registration drives in the American South during the 1960s and later helped improve minority education in math, has died. He was 86.

Moses, who was widely referred to as Bob, worked to dismantle segregation as the Mississippi field director of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee during the civil rights movement and was central to the 1964 “Freedom Summer” in which hundreds of students went to the South to register voters.

Moses started his “second chapter in civil rights work” by founding in 1982 the Algebra Project thanks to a MacArthur Fellowship. The project included a curriculum Moses developed to help struggling students succeed in math.

Ben Moynihan, the director of operations for the Algebra Project, said Moses’ wife, Dr. Janet Moses, told him her husband passed away Sunday morning in Hollywood, Florida. Information was not given as to the cause of death.

“Bob Moses was a hero of mine. His quiet confidence helped shape the civil rights movement, and he inspired generations of young people looking to make a difference,” said former President Barack Obama on Twitter.

Moses was born in Harlem, New York, on January 23, 1935, two months after a race riot left three dead and injured 60 in the neighborhood. His grandfather, William Henry Moses, has been a prominent Southern Baptist preacher and a supporter of Marcus Garvey, a Black nationalist leader at the turn of the century.

Like many Black families, the Moses family moved north from the South during the Great Migration. Once in Harlem, his family sold milk from a Black-owned cooperative to help supplement the household income, according to “Robert Parris Moses: A Life in Civil Rights and Leadership at the Grassroots,” by Laura Visser-Maessen.

Moses didn’t spend much time in the Deep South until he went on a recruiting trip in 1960 to “see the movement for myself.” He sought out the Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s Southern Christian Leadership Conference in Atlanta but found little activity in the office and soon turned his attention to SNCC.

“I was taught about the denial of the right to vote behind the Iron Curtain in Europe,” Moses later said. “I never knew that there was (the) denial of the right to vote behind a Cotton Curtain here in the United States.”

The young civil rights advocate tried to register Black people to vote in Mississippi’s rural Amite County where he was beaten and arrested. When he tried to file charges against a white assailant, an all-white jury acquitted the man and a judge provided protection to Moses to the county line so he could leave.

In 1963, he and two other activists — James Travis and Randolph Blackwell — were driving in Greenwood, Mississippi, when someone opened fire on them and the 20-year-old Travis was hit. In a press release from the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee, Moses described how bullets whizzed around them and how Moses took the wheel when Travis was struck and stopped the car.

“We all were within inches of being killed,” Moses said in the 1963 press release.

A reoccurring theme in Moses’ life and work was the need to listen and work with the local populations where activists were trying to effect change, whether that was registering Black voters in some of the most staunchly anti-integration parts of Mississippi or years later working with students and teachers to come up with ways to improve math knowledge.

In an interview with the National Visionary Leadership Project, he talked about the need for civil rights workers to earn the trust of the local population in Mississippi.

“You had to earn the right for the Black population in Mississippi to decide that they were going to work with you because why should they risk everything to work with you if you were somebody or a collection of people who were just not serious?” he said.

He later helped organize the Mississippi Freedom Democratic Party, which sought to challenge the all-white Democratic delegation from Mississippi in 1964. But President Lyndon Johnson prevented the group of rebel Democrats from voting in the convention and instead let Jim Crow southerners remain, drawing national attention.

Disillusioned with white liberal reaction to the civil rights movement, Moses soon began taking part in demonstrations against the Vietnam War then cut off all relationships with whites, even former SNCC members.

Moses worked as a teacher in Tanzania, Africa, returned to Harvard to earn a doctorate in philosophy and taught high school math in Cambridge, Massachusetts. He later taught math in Jackson, Mississippi, while commuting back and forth to Massachusetts on the weekends.

The press-shy Moses started his “second chapter in civil rights work” by founding in 1982 the Algebra Project using money he received through the MacArthur Foundation Fellows program — often referred to as “genius” grants — to improve math literacy among underserved populations. Ben Moynihan from the Algebra Project said Moses saw the work of improving mathematics literacy as an extension of the civil rights work he had started in the 1960s.

“Bob really saw the issue of giving hope to young people through access to mathematics literacy.... as a citizenship issue, as critical as the right to vote has been,” Moynihan said.

Ernesto Cortés Jr., director emeritus and senior advisor to the Industrial Areas Foundation which helps develop community organizers, worked with Moses over four decades during which Moses would come to seminars and trainings. Cortés said Moses did not talk fast and was very attentive and deliberate. One of the key lessons Moses imparted was his “steadfastness” — sticking to a goal despite being repeatedly knocked down — and his generosity.

“Bob always looked to develop other people, and give them recognition and give them their due,” Cortés said.

-- Rebecca Santana

Jackie Mason, comic who perfected amused outrage, dies at 93

• Love 2
(edited)

I guess it's the end of the world as we know it ...

"Worst nightmare coming to pass here" as Simone Biles out from gymnastics team finals

210726043744-70-olympics-07252021-gymnas

Pauline Schaefer-Betz, of Germany, performs her floor exercise routine during the women's artistic gymnastic qualifications at the 2020 Summer Olympics on Sunday.

Justice - D.A.N.C.E.

Foo Fighters - Making A Fire (Live)

DJ Ramon, Zerano & Marc Korn ‎– Hear Me Cry (X Mix)

future funk squad - deep inside

Oscar Peterson Live at Ronnie Scott's 1974

The Bones of J.R. Jones - Ticket Home

The Pack - I'm Shinin'

Kaila Yu - Candy Coated Sugar Sex

Willis - Word Up

Strange Fruit Project - Soul Clap

Evanescence - Good Enough

210726154414-lake-powell-july-25-restric

Lake Powell, the second largest reservoir on the Colorado River, hit the lowest water level since it was filled in 1963.

Lake Powell hits lowest level on record in climate change-fueled water crisis

James Hunter - It's Easy to Say

Sunshine Anderson - Sunshine At Midnight

David Gilmour - Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Live At Pompeii)

Bee Gees - Massachusetts

Dashboard Confessional - The Best Deceptions

Nirvana Butchers "Smells Like Teen Spirit" On Purpose

Tenacious D - Tribute live Rock am Ring 2012

Me'shell Ndegeocello - If That's Your Boyfriend (He Wasn't Last Night)

210722110313-restricted-weather-yuba-cit

Yuba City Fireman resting before taking on the Beckwourth Complex Fire/Photo CNN 

As wildfires worsen, firefighters are on the front lines of climate change

ef3f045f-3790-412d-b587-2cc526002d8a-012

A sugar cane field burns before it is harvested near South Bay in January/Greg Lovett, The Palm Beach Post

The Smoke Comes Every Year. Sugar Companies Say the Air Is Safe.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 6

My how things change. Last week at this time Lizzie was sitting in her crate, hissing and growling at Nathan like he was The Big Bad Wolf. Now she's chasing the poor old fellow around the house and jumping on his head. 😸

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

b6b13abe-ad09-472a-9acd-b372c3ab98b6.jpg

Japan's Daiki Hashimoto competes in the artistic gymnastics all-around final on July 28. (Martin Bureau/AFP/Getty Images)

The Latest at the Tokyo Olympics: Daiki Hashimoto takes Japan’s gold medal tally to 13 with all-around gymnastics win

Björk & PJ Harvey - I Can't Get No Satisfaction

R.E.M. - Shiny Happy People

Santana - Soul Sacrifice Tanglewood 1970

King Flamingo - In The Money

American Outlaws - Desperados Waiting for a Train/Live at Nassau Coliseum, 1990

Linda Ronstadt - Tumbling Dice

Suzy Bogguss - Hey Cinderella

Corey Taylor. Dave Grohl. Rick Nielsen. Scott Reeder - From Can To Can't

Now that you’ve seen it, you know that once someone did stand on the decal, a squad of Improv Everywhere operatives, with boom boxes and impressive dance moves, converts the public space into a fun open-air dance party. What makes this work: Not just the planning and the expert performers and the slick choreography and the clever subversion of social-distance design. None of that matters unless somebody stands on the decal. What activates this entire operation is curiosity. The woman who gets the party started is my hero! I love everything about her, her body language, her openness, the thrilling sense she radiates that anything could happen and she’s up for it. She unleashes an experience that she (and many strangers nearby) will never forget.

Tim Curry - Paradise Garage

Bomba Estéreo & Yemi Alade - Conexión Total

America - Never Found the Time

Camila Cabello: Don't Go Yet

JOE PASS - VIRTUOSO VOL 3

Rosalia - Di mi nombre

GM Supposedly Destroyed (Nearly) Every EV1 Ever Made—So Why Is One in an Atlanta Parking Garage?

• Love 5

ZZ Top bassist Dusty Hill, who played with the Texas blues rock trio for over 50 years, has died at age 72.

“We are saddened by the news today that our compadre, Dusty Hill, has passed away in his sleep at home in Houston, Texas,” surviving members Billy Gibbons and Frank Beard said in a statement. “We, along with legions of ZZ Top fans around the world, will miss your steadfast presence, your good nature, and enduring commitment to providing that monumental bottom to the ‘Top’. We will forever be connected to that ‘Blues Shuffle in C.’ You will be missed greatly, amigo.”

• Love 1

Hello all my preverted friends, heh. 

Today I am officially double vaccinated which is nice. I am worried about what side effects I will experience, though. 

The assistant who I work with quit this week. Today was her last day and I'm so very sad. She was the only thing still making me come into work because we could go on walks together during lunch and bitch about the job and our boss. Now it's just me and them again. 

On the plus side, I am officially on vacation for the next two weeks which makes me ridiculously happy. But I'm already dreading having to go back. 

On not so good news, I've been having a lot of headaches this past month. And four times I've woken up in the middle of the night to see giant triangles, lines, coloured circles, etc, obscuring my field of vision. The first time it happened I woke up around 3 AM, looked at my comforter which has a geometric pattern on it, and it's like the wires in my brain crossed. Shapes and color were all I could see, both my with eyes closed and open. I eventually fell back asleep and when I woke up my vision was normal. 

I went to the optometrist and was told the structures of my eye were fine. It was maybe an aura without the migraine and not to worry. It could have also been a pressure change in the blood vessels. 

But it's happened three times since then. Not as spectacular, the shapes are much smaller but it's still disconcerting. I'm trying to get an appointment with an ophthalmologist (the man I worked for retired) but so far they just had me leave a message with a nurse who will call me back within the next three days. And, if it's an emergency I was told to go to the hospital. 

I actually left work early today because my head was hurting and the stupid dentist wasn't helping matters by talking non stop all fucking day long. 

Once I left I felt better but now with the vaccine who knows. 

Anyway, that's what's new with me. I hope everyone else is doing well. 

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

Hello all my preverted friends, heh. 

Today I am officially double vaccinated which is nice. I am worried about what side effects I will experience, though. 

The assistant who I work with quit this week. Today was her last day and I'm so very sad. She was the only thing still making me come into work because we could go on walks together during lunch and bitch about the job and our boss. Now it's just me and them again. 

On the plus side, I am officially on vacation for the next two weeks which makes me ridiculously happy. But I'm already dreading having to go back. 

On not so good news, I've been having a lot of headaches this past month. And four times I've woken up in the middle of the night to see giant triangles, lines, coloured circles, etc, obscuring my field of vision. The first time it happened I woke up around 3 AM, looked at my comforter which has a geometric pattern on it, and it's like the wires in my brain crossed. Shapes and color were all I could see, both my with eyes closed and open. I eventually fell back asleep and when I woke up my vision was normal. 

I went to the optometrist and was told the structures of my eye were fine. It was maybe an aura without the migraine and not to worry. It could have also been a pressure change in the blood vessels. 

But it's happened three times since then. Not as spectacular, the shapes are much smaller but it's still disconcerting. I'm trying to get an appointment with an ophthalmologist (the man I worked for retired) but so far they just had me leave a message with a nurse who will call me back within the next three days. And, if it's an emergency I was told to go to the hospital. 

I actually left work early today because my head was hurting and the stupid dentist wasn't helping matters by talking non stop all fucking day long. 

Once I left I felt better but now with the vaccine who knows. 

Anyway, that's what's new with me. I hope everyone else is doing well. 

I think you might want to see a neurologist. 

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I think you might want to see a neurologist. 

I'm trying to get a referral. I only have an appointment with my GP on September 14 but I was hoping she could give me one. I left a message asking if I could advance the appointment. She told me she's leaving on vacation and to see an optometrist and he could refer me if he thinks I need one. But the optometrist said my eyes were fine and not to worry and sent me on my merry way.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

I'm trying to get a referral. I only have an appointment with my GP on September 14 but I was hoping she could give me one. I left a message asking if I could advance the appointment. She told me she's leaving on vacation and to see an optometrist and he could refer me if he thinks I need one. But the optometrist said my eyes were fine and not to worry and sent me on my merry way.

That's good. I hate the way nobody can get anything done in the summer. Everyone goes on vacation and leaves their clients stuck. (I don't mean you, Jewel) but doctors, bankers, realtors. I had a hell of a time last summer once my dad's house sale closed getting people together for signings and wire transfers.

• Love 5

Joey Jordison, Founding Slipknot Drummer, Dead at 46

Joey Jordison, Slipknot’s founding drummer and co-writer of many of their biggest hits, died on Monday at the age of 46. A rep for his family said he died “peacefully in his sleep” but did not specify a cause of death.

“Joey’s death has left us with empty hearts and feelings of indescribable sorrow,” reads a statement from Jordison’s family. “To those that knew Joey, understood his quick wit, his gentle personality, giant heart, and his love for all things family and music. The family of Joey have asked that friends, fans, and media understandably respect our need for privacy and peace at this incredibly difficult time.” The family intends to hold a private funeral service.

Jordison was the motor that kept Slipknot’s music running in their early days. His stoic presence behind the drum kit and virtuosic drum solos, like the one captured in the band’s Disasterpieces film where his riser ascended to the heavens, made him a favorite member for fans. Behind the scenes, Jordison was instrumental to Slipknot’s songwriting, and his neck-rattling rhythms and death-metal blastbeats were a crucial ingredient to the band’s sudden success.

The drummer was playing with a group of Des Moines, Iowa metalheads who called themselves the Pale Ones and later Meld when he suggested they change their name to Slipknot in 1995. Within a few years, the band’s lineup expanded to nine members who wore nightmarish masks and fused metal and rap aggression that placed them at the vanguard of the nu-metal explosion. Thanks to steady touring and explosive live shows on Ozzfest, their 1999 self-titled debut went double-platinum.

He stayed with the band until 2013, leaving for what he described at the time as “personal reasons.” A few years later, he revealed a neurological disease that caused his departure. “I got really, really sick with a horrible disease called transverse myelitis; I lost my legs,” he told the audience at the Metal Hammer Golden Gods Awards in 2016 (via NME). “I couldn’t play anymore. It was a form of multiple sclerosis, which I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy. I got myself back up, and I got myself in the gym and I got myself back in fucking therapy to fucking beat this shit.” At the time, he said he was rededicating himself to music with a new band called Vimic.

In addition to Slipknot and Vimic, the prolific musician played guitar in the glam-inspired horror-punk group the Murderdolls, drums with the alt-metal group Scar the Martyr and extreme-metal supergroup Sinsaenum, and pre-Slipknot resume stints in Modifidious and the Have Nots. He also made guest appearances on recordings by Otep, Necrophagia, and Rob Zombie. In 2005, he assembled several supergroups for the project Roadrunner United, which commemorated the 25th anniversary of Slipknot’s label, Roadrunner; on five tracks, he played with dream teams that featured members of Type O Negative, Deicide, Life of Agony, and King Diamond’s band.

Nathan Jonas Jordison was born in Des Moines on April 26th, 1975. He grew up nearby in the small town of Waukee, where he got bad grades in school and considered himself an introvert. He discovered Kiss and Black Sabbath in the early Eighties and his parents nurtured his interests in music. He started his first band while in elementary school; Jordison played guitar with a friend who wasn’t very good at drums, prompting the musician to switch instruments. His parents surprised him with his own drum kit when he was in fifth grade and he continued to play with friends.

Jordison and the other original members of Slipknot found each other playing Des Moines’ club circuit, chiefly at a venue called the Runway. By 1996, they had started wearing masks and had put out a demo album called Mate. Feed. Kill. Repeat., which featured a song called “Slipknot” that the band later refashioned into the Slipknot album’s “(sic).” “The first mask I had was an original pale-white kabuki mask,” Jordison told Revolver. “One Halloween, when I was about eight years old, I came home from school and my mother popped around the corner with that mask on and a long robe and scared the living fuck out of me. It’s always stuck with me. So I had to use that for my mask.”

Slipknot’s self-titled debut came out in 1999 and thanks to a slot on Ozzfest and videos for the singles “Wait and Bleed” and “Spit It Out,” it was certified platinum within a year. “I was a night manager at a Sinclair gas station from ’95 to ’97,” Jordison told Rolling Stone in 2001. “That’s where most of Slipknot was conceived. I’d get off band practice at about ten, and I’d bring a radio and TV and fucking crank metal. Shawn [Crahan] would come down at about 11:30, and we’d start plotting things out. He’d split at about five in the morning, and we’d have all these ideas. That’s how we did it.”

Their second album — 2001’s Iowa — was an even bigger success, reaching Number Three on the Billboard 200 as the band moved from Ozzfest’s second stage to main-stage headliners. But not everything was so sunny behind the scenes. “When we did Iowa, it was a very dark time for the band,” Jordison told Revolver. “Some of our strongest and most meaningful songs are on that record, but we were all on drugs and drunk and it sucked. It’s a time I don’t like to talk about much because I don’t like to condone any drug use, whatsoever.” Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses), released in 2004, debuted at Number Two, while 2008’s All Hope Is Gone bowed at Number One. That record would be Jordison’s last with the band.

In 2016, the drummer claimed the band had fired him via email three years earlier over a misunderstanding. “They got confused about my health issues and obviously even I didn’t know what it was at first,” he told Metal Hammer. “They thought I was fucked up on drugs, which I wasn’t at all. I’ve been through so many things with those guys, and I love them very much. What’s hurtful is the way it went down was not fucking right.”

A few years before his death, Jordison revealed that he was holding onto demo tapes of songs he’d written for Slipknot at the time of his dismissal. “Maybe someday they’ll surface, maybe they’ll never be heard, but I don’t translate them to any other band. They still stay in the Slipknot safe,” he told Metal Hammer. “I won’t use them for anyone else besides Slipknot, if that ever happens again.”

Twenty years ago, though, he was unsure if Slipknot could continue — he just knew he wanted it to. “I don’t think this band can last more than four or five albums,” he told Rolling Stone. “Look what we’ve done on the new one [Iowa]. I know we’ve succeeded every time I listen to it. I think four albums will tie everything together. This band is so physical, it’s literally trimming years off our lives. This music is hard to play, and it’s hard on us. But we love it.”

-- May you find no pain and eternal rest in the arms of the Father.

ZZ Top: 10 Essential Songs

A deliciously juiced-up John Lee Hooker–derived rhythm-guitar lick drives this classic “two-minute wonder” (in Billy Gibbons’ words), which paid tribute to the Chicken Ranch, the same long-standing real-life brothel in La Grange, Texas, that inspired the book and movie The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas. “I went there when I was 13,” Dusty Hill told Spin in 1986, noting that he was irked that the establishment shut down just months after ZZ Top’s song came out. “It was a whorehouse, but anything that lasts a hundred years, there’s got to be a reason.” -- Have mercy!

Waitin' for the Bus

Poor ZZ Top, they just wanted to get home. The Homeric track that opened their iconic Tres Hombres album starts with a thin, precise bluesy guitar lick and a tight, sighing drum line that foreshadows the band’s electro-blues era, setting up Gibbons and Hill to plead for compassion in concert: “Have mercy!” Gibbons goes on to explain they’ve been waiting for the bus all day, with a bottle of booze and some leftover scratch, but, horror of horrors, when the bus arrives, it’s “packed up tight.” Blues harp virtuoso James Harman takes a solo, and by the time the song finishes up, the ZZ guys are dreaming of getting a Cadillac someday (fast forward to Eliminator). “You can meet some very unique people on a bus and in a bus station,” Hill told Spin in 1985. “I like to people watch. I love bus stations and train stations. The thing about a bus is who you have to sit beside. If the guy’s got good wine, it’s OK.” The way the song seamlessly segued into Hombres’ bar rocker “Jesus Just Left Chicago” as if nothing happened made for one of the best one-two punches in the history of road rock.

“I ain’t askin’ for much,” Dusty Hill yowls on this cheerfully filthy 12-bar blues, the lyrics of which he composed in under 10 minutes while the band was soundchecking at a Florence, Alabama, rodeo. “I said, Lord, take me downtown: I’m just lookin’ for some tush.” Points for honesty, and a stylish new twist on a long tradition of mixing sacred and profane — that is, unless you believe Hill’s claim in interviews that he only meant to suggest something “plush, very lush, very luxurious” (as in, “That’s a tush car”), as well as “what it means in New York.” Years later, after ZZ Top became unlikely MTV stars, Rolling Stone‘s Kurt Loder did some further pondering on the subject of “Tush”: “Do you really want to think about what that song means? It means turn up the guitars.” Back in 1975, when it became their first big hit, that was more than enough.

I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide

One of the Top’s most swaggering, cocksure, this 1979 blues number both dreamed of and boasted about a mass appeal that wouldn’t arrive in earnest for the band until four years later with Eliminator. Nonetheless, Billy Gibbons, Dusty Hill, and Frank Beard dared you to find anyone cooler as they cruised around town in a Caddy, flanked by women in short dresses “smoking Lucky Strikes.” Gibbons told Guitar World in 2009 that the song was a tribute to Texas guitarist Joey Long, who loaned him the tinny mandolin-like instrument that drives the track. There’s some clavinet tucked into the outro, too, a choice that inspired bassist Hill to play more piano and keys on future sessions. “It’s such an interesting sound,” Gibbons said, “that it ignited Dusty’s interest in learning some keyboard skills.” 

Cheap Sunglasses

Who says the drudgery of touring can’t be inspiring? One of the highlights of 1979’s Degüello (along with “I’m Bad, I’m Nationwide”) was this ode to low-cost eyewear, which came to the band on tour. According to Hill, ZZ Top’s travels led them to many a roadside stop, and, as he told Spin, “Every gas station in the world had a cardboard display of the cheapest and ugliest sunglasses you could imagine.” Starting with its gnarly riff, and extending to Hill’s rock-steady bass line, “Cheap Sunglasses” wasn’t just advice for anyone with a hangover. Before the MTV era kicked in, it was an early testament to the group’s knack for making roadhouse blues riffs feel bracingly modern

“We had dabbled with the synthesizer, and then all this gear was showing up from manufacturers. We threw caution to the winds. This was one of the first tracks that started unfolding,” Billy Gibbons told Rolling Stone of the band’s state-of-the-art Eighties makeover, which began in earnest with this lead single from Eliminator. A four-minute blast of Eighties synthesizers and fiery riffs that emits pure adrenaline, the song became a classic-rock radio staple, and inspired a video — directed by Randy Newman’s brother, Tim, and showcasing the band’s red 1930s Ford Coupe seen on the Eliminator cover — that defined ZZ Top’s signature iconography of cars, guitars, and women for all times.

Sharp Dressed Man

ZZ Top and producer Bill Ham gave a big ol’ Texas bear hug to the synthesizer on the trio’s monster 1983 LP, Eliminator. While Billy Gibbons’ guitars remained fuzzy and raw, a synth doubled Dusty Hill’s bass track (or all but provided it, depending on who you ask) on “Sharp Dressed Man,” infusing the peacocking anthem with a pulsing rhythm. Along with its high-fashion video, the song was peak Eighties, even if the band members themselves chose to don dusters and fedoras instead of blazers and scarves. “Sharp dressed depends on who you are,” Hill told Spin in 1986. “If you’re on a motorcycle, really sharp leathers is great. If you’re a punk rocker, you can get sharp that way. You can be sharp or not sharp in any mode. It’s all in your head. If you feel sharp, you be sharp.”

Got Me Under Pressure

Billy Gibbons never explains how he hooked up with a hoity-toity dominatrix cokehead in the Eliminator hit “Got Me Under Pressure,” because she got him so stressed out. All he’s capable of is trying to keep up with her predilections for French food, art museums, and having sex in cars while wearing London Fog slickers. By the time he’s ready for a break, in the song’s bridge, he expects her to beat him up and leave him in a ditch when he tells her it’s over, but hey, such was the imaginary life of ZZ Top in 1983. “Everybody asks if ‘Under Pressure’ was about a girlfriend of mine,” Gibbons told Spin in 1985. “And if not, whose was it? Well, fortunately that kind of pressure we’re not under. Maybe it’s just because we got out of town on time.” The original recording was Gibbons solo with co-writer Linden Hudson playing bass on a synth (and, yeah, that’s a drum machine), but when ZZ Top played it live, Gibbons and Hill would trade lyrics, making the tableau described in the song a sort of twisted ménage à trois that would confound even Freud.

The third in ZZ Top’s Eliminator singles trilogy goes all the way in its embrace of shimmering synths and radio-friendly hooks — compared with the grit and verve of “Sharp Dressed Man” and “Gimme All Your Lovin’,” it could almost be Huey Lewis. Crass, commercial, and utterly catchy, it’s the only one of those three songs that made the Top 10. Billy F. Gibbons got downright literary when he recalled the song’s origins to Spin in 1986: “I was driving in Los Angeles, and there was this unusual downpour. And there was a real pretty girl on the side of the road. I passed her, and then I thought, ‘Well, I’d better pull over’ or at least turn around and offer her a ride, and by the time I got back she was gone. *… She had legs and she knew how to use them.” Haunting, isn’t it?

Rough Boy

The trio claimed to have written this proto-industrial power ballad “on a cold winter day in the wilds of west Texas” in their Greatest Hits liner notes. In the song, Gibbons croons huskily from a place of regretful introspection, trying to make sense of his misbehavior, before admitting “I’m a rough boy” over a keening guitar line. The trio worked together on the song’s fusion of Texas blues and New Wave claustrophobia, with evocative and ethereal keyboards played by Dusty Hill to set up Gibbons for one of his most emotional solos. Gibbons told Spin in 1985 that the construct of a “Rough Boy” was a device for the band to write a ballad: “The way he came up was, ‘How would a ZZ Top fan allow such a beautiful, lush bed of sound into their realm?'” he said. “The pretty music had to have a rough boy in it. He’s there.” 

• Love 4

Well the nurse from the Ophthalmology clinic called me back and said they couldn't give me an appointment. That I should follow up with the optometrist I saw a few weeks back instead. They said I need to see a neurologist and when I mentioned a referral they said they couldn't give me one but my GP could. Except, as I told her, I'm only seeing my GP in mid September. 

And the pediatric ophthalmologist I used to work for is officially retired and can't write me a referral. *sigh*

That sucks, @jewel21.  If you have another episode, would you be able to go to the ER?  Maybe they could give you a referral there?  At any rate, I'm glad you got your shot!  I hope you didn't have any bad side effects.  Mine were minor, and everyone I know has said pretty much the same thing.  Now, enjoy your vacation!  You've earned it!

10 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Oh my, Standing Outside A Broken Phone Booth. Wow, it's been a long time and does that ever take me back. Thanks, Cupid!

I was thinking the same thing!

• Love 6

Thanks, Snap. Yes, if I have another episode before I see my GP I will most likely go to the ER. 

Only side effect to the second vaccine, much to my delight, appears to be a sore arm. And yoga was harder for me to do tonight. I got headachy and a little nauseous during but feel okay now. 

My cousin who is like 19 years younger than me said she had a bad migraine the next day and felt like she had arthritis. I'm so happy that doesn't appear to be the case for me. 

• Love 6

Tracking Covid-19 cases in the US -- The numbers fail to paint a complete picture, however, since testing scarcity and delays likely left many Covid-19 cases and deaths undiagnosed, especially during the outbreak's early stages.

In fact, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimate that as many as one in three people in the United States has been infected, more than three times the official count.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has authorized vaccines from three manufacturers — Pfizer/BioNTech, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson — for emergency use and a mass vaccination campaign is underway in the United States. While new daily cases have dropped dramatically from the January 2021 peak, the race between vaccines and variants continues, especially in parts of the country that are less vaccinated.

The Brian Jonestown Massacre - CARDINAL SESSIONS - Live in London 2018

Rose Royce - Car Wash

Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak

Stewart Copeland - On Drums

Jeff Beck - Live on BBC2 TV in London on August 23rd, 1974

Semisonic - Closing Time

Alphaville - Forever Young

Sergio Mendes & Brasil 66 - Mas que nada

Gwen Verdon & Tab Hunter - Whatever Lola Wants, Lola Gets - Damn Yankees 1958

José Feliciano - California Dreamin' - Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

1000.jpeg

Spot, a robotic Honolulu police dog, stands outside department headquarters during a demonstration to reporters Friday May 14, 2021. Police officials experimenting with the four-legged machines say they’re just another tool, like drones or simpler wheeled robots, to keep emergency responders out of harm’s way. (AP Photo/Jennifer Sinco Kelleher)

Sit, Ubu, sit! Good dog! -- Robotic police dogs: Useful hounds or dehumanizing machines?

210729093020-01-greenland-ice-melt-restr

Ice melting on the west side of Greenland in 2019, a record year for ice loss.

The amount of Greenland ice that melted on Tuesday could cover Florida in 2 inches of water

Saint John Coltrane

Perez Prado - Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White

The Sounds of Space: A sonic adventure to other worlds

Justice - IRIS: A Space Opera - Live At Accorhotels Arena, Paris

Prodigy - Real Power Is People

The Black Keys - Stay All Night

The Stray Cats - Rumble In Brighton

King's X - It's Love

Paul McCartney & Wings - Maybe I'm Amazed [Live]

Your bed probably isn’t as clean as you think – a microbiologist explains -- Sleep well.

hypatia-h_ec7fda16e15fe1016dd8531ca52934

Russia’s tennis player Daniil Medvedev cools down with ice packs and portable air conditioner/Photo CNN 

The latest on the Tokyo Olympics

210729094406-20-sunisa-lee-olympics-2020

American gymnast Suni Lee takes a selfie with silver medalist Rebeca Andrade, center, and bronze medalist Angelina Melnikova after the individual all-around on Thursday, July 29. Andrade is the first Brazilian to ever medal in women's gymnastics. Melnikova is Russian./Gregory Bull/AP

The best photos from the Tokyo Olympics

• Love 6

OMG, Jose Feliciano's version of California Dreamin'. I really wanted to see Once Upon A Time In Hollywood so I bought a copy off Amazon. We watched it twice and loved it. My husband got addicted to that song and put it on his Kindle. He must have listened to it one million times over the course of a week.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Thanks, Snap. Yes, if I have another episode before I see my GP I will most likely go to the ER. 

Hey jewel21, I get optical migraines. No pain with those, but I can't "see" for sometimes up to an hour. You know how when you come into a dark house from bright sunlight and all you can see is like pulsating energy? That's what fills up my field of vision. I just have to close my eyes and wait it out. Mine are always triggered by bright light. I told my eye dr about it when I first had some and I was so scared, but he said not to worry about it, it was just migraine. I haven't been to the eye dr in well over a year (covid and lost my job). But this year I've had some in my sleep, so those weren't triggered by bright light events. When I eventually see my eye dr again I'm going to tell him about that.

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, SweePea59 said:

Hey jewel21, I get optical migraines. No pain with those, but I can't "see" for sometimes up to an hour. You know how when you come into a dark house from bright sunlight and all you can see is like pulsating energy? That's what fills up my field of vision. I just have to close my eyes and wait it out. Mine are always triggered by bright light. I told my eye dr about it when I first had some and I was so scared, but he said not to worry about it, it was just migraine. I haven't been to the eye dr in well over a year (covid and lost my job). But this year I've had some in my sleep, so those weren't triggered by bright light events. When I eventually see my eye dr again I'm going to tell him about that.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing! Have you ever had or heard of visual show? Basically I've had it since I was a child and after years of trying to explain what I see to my mom, optometrists, etc, I gave up and just learned to live with it. But then I found a support group on FB and was able to join and it's nice knowing I'm not the only one. Basically it's super rare, not many people know of it including ophthalmologists, and there's no treatment. Supposedly it's a neurological condition with no cure. Basically I see 'snow' or static constantly. Day or night, eyes open or closed, non stop. It's like of like those analogue TVs where they picture with be static-y. 

So already I have that condition which I've never seen a neurologist for, and now there's his whole constant headache/aura thing happening and I'm just starting to feel nervous. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_snow

https://rarediseases.org/rare-diseases/visual-snow-syndrome/

• Useful 2

Wow, jewel21, that sounds awful, quite frankly. I never heard of it before.

I have tinnitus. I hate it so much. It depresses and upsets me.

As of about 30 years ago, (yikes), I see with a "chromatic shift" if I try to wear glasses. So I wear contact lenses. And I wear blue light blocking glasses. One good thing about them is they're much lighter weight than prescription glasses. The "chromatic shift" is blue outlines on one side and yellow on the other side, of everything. I also think that they may have started manufacturing lenses differently and that may be a contributing factor for me. But no "chromatic shift" with contacts or nothing.

• Useful 5
(edited)

1-thecollapseo.jpg

Northern San Francisco Bull kelp forest (Pescadero Point)/Photo California Forestry Service

Saving California's Kelp Forests

Dedicated to Ben Stiller and Destry Spielberg -- Our Lady Peace - Stop Making Stupid People Famous (Acoustic)

TORRES - Thirstier

Tiger Army - Outlaw Heart

RATATAT - NECKBRACE

ROSALÍA & Travis Scott - TKN

Laut & Luise - DWIG

Josie Kreuzer - Ball That Jack

MEUTE - You & Me (Flume Remix)

Apparat - Heroist

The Hillbilly Moon Explosion – Call Me

08virus-vaccine00-videoSixteenByNineJumb

People registering for Covid-19 vaccinations/Photo Los Angeles Times

The surge of Covid-19 infections for unvaccinated people is only beginning, experts warn

Blue Oyster Cult - (Don't Fear) The Reaper

Hillbilly Casino - Debt With the Devil

Yola - Stand For Myself

Horrorpops - Misstake

Johnny Burnette - The Train Kept A-Rollin

Human Nature - Runaround Sue

BO DIDDLEY 1965

PEREZ PRADO - MAMBO No 5

Alphaville - Summer in Berlin

RESTLESS - Black Kane

hypatia-h_377fc86ba0a04b8d6c4624bfb73b99

South Korea's Yunseo Lee competes during the Tokyo Olympic Games/Lionel Bonaventure/AFP/Getty Images

The latest on the Tokyo Olympics

It's not nice to fool Mother Nature -- Bee swarm attack kills Arizona man and injures five people

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 5

And jewel21, I also have glaucoma from drs poisoning me with cortico steroids, but that's not contributing to my vision issues AFAIK. And I get other kinds of migraines, the vestibular migraines being the worst for me, and they are severe vertigo, so that's a horrible visual component.

Remember to blink a lot to help keep your eyes lubricated. And if you need to take other measures, do that. Light sensitivity is brought on by dry eyes. A warm washcloth over the eyes helps increase blood flow to the eye area. But I'm sure you know this stuff, and probably more, for basic eye health.

• Useful 6
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, SweePea59 said:

And jewel21, I also have glaucoma from drs poisoning me with cortico steroids, but that's not contributing to my vision issues AFAIK. And I get other kinds of migraines, the vestibular migraines being the worst for me, and they are severe vertigo, so that's a horrible visual component.

Remember to blink a lot to help keep your eyes lubricated. And if you need to take other measures, do that. Light sensitivity is brought on by dry eyes. A warm washcloth over the eyes helps increase blood flow to the eye area. But I'm sure you know this stuff, and probably more, for basic eye health.

I actually didn't know about the warm washcloth so thank you for telling me. I do have slightly dry eyes and was told I could buy an over the counter eye lubricant. I never do, though.  And I've started wearing sunglasses because after a 20 minute walk in the sun by the time I get into work, I get this annoying beige light turning flashing thing that happens in my field of vision and it takes a few minutes for it to go away. 

I'm so sorry to hear about your migraines. That sucks and sound really debilitating. The chromatic shift sounds kind of scary. I've actually never heard of that before. It sounds terrible. 

This morning I woke up to the sound of my alarm going off. Confused I got up and went to turn it off only to see that there was no alarm. I don't know wtf is happening to me. 

I'm currently on vacation for the next two weeks and I'm really debating just not going back to work. The assistant, who was the only reason I stayed there, is gone and isn't coming back. It's just me and them again. I'm getting constant headaches and chest pains (that's my anxiety) when I am there. The dentist never shuts up so the headache just intensifies every minute, and if his wife tells him to shut up, he just talks over her like a child. I don't know if what's happening to me is stress related or if it's something more serious but either way I think I need to take some time for myself. 

The only thing is, it's super busy when I come back and not only will they have no assistant but no secretary either and I feel bad. Even though part of me is like screw them. I wanted to wait until I see my doctor in September, maybe ask her for a note for a leave of absence, but I don't think I can wait that long.

Everyone is telling me to start looking for something now but it's like day 3 of my vacation and I just want to relax, not go on job interviews or start working right away. I don't know what to do. 

I've also been told so many times by them that I'm 'dependent', not good at multi-tasking, can't handle stress, if I did go elsewhere I couldn't be able to handle it, etc, that my self confidence is basically shot to hell. 

I've also been told so many times by them that I'm 'dependent', not good at multi-tasking, can't handle stress, if I did go elsewhere I couldn't be able to handle it, etc, that my self confidence is basically shot to hell. 

Do not listen to that crap. Your employer told you this? You should start documenting all of it. I think you may have grounds for a lawsuit. Don't be afraid to hire an attorney. They're not as expensive as you think and they are invaluable to help you in situations like this.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4

210730140754-biles-osaka-richardson-self

Trust Black Women

800.jpeg

Emily Seebohm, of Australia, swims in a women's 200-meter backstroke semifinal at the 2020 Summer Olympics, Friday, July 30, 2021, in Tokyo, Japan. (AP Photo/David Goldman)

Bob Moses played critical role in civil rights organizing and math literacy for Black students

Jimi Hendrix - Hey Joe (Monterey 1967)

Steely Dan - Kid Charlemagne

Gino Vannelli - Nightwalker

Ike Turner/Jackie Brenston - Rocket 88

Joe Pass - Django

Eddie Cochran - Twenty Flight Rock

AC/DC - Back In Black

Vince Ray - Everybody Smokes in Hell

Aretha Franklin - Jumpin' Jack Flash

Gene Vincent & his Blue Caps - Race with the Devil

shutterstock_1905990028-692x376.jpg

Photo Shutterstock 

Climate crimes: a new series investigating big oil’s role in the climate crisis

Booker T & the M G 's - Green Onions

VAN HALEN - Ice Cream Man

Roy Orbison and Teen Kings - Ooby Dooby

Les Paul LIVE

Sid King & The Five Strings - Sag, Drag and Fall

Del Shannon - Runaway

Peter Frampton's Camel - Lines On My Face

Brian Setzer - Let's Shake

A principle for understanding which experts to trust, including the CDC.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Do not listen to that crap. Your employer told you this? You should start documenting all of it. I think you may have grounds for a lawsuit. Don't be afraid to hire an attorney. They're not as expensive as you think and they are invaluable to help you in situations like this.

jewel21, spend your next two weeks of vacation finding a new job. ANY JOB!

I'm begging you to take control of this situation and save your life.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

jewel21, spend your next two weeks of vacation finding a new job. ANY JOB!

I'm begging you to take control of this situation and save your life.

Seriously. Even working in a warehouse or a hardware store would be better for you. I think a lot of times we women only go after traditionally "female" jobs but I've done really well in "male" oriented spaces.

• Love 7

73e9c1b7-1663-4b44-936f-bc2fc4d11130.jpg

Daniel Dhers competes in the Cycling BMX Freestyle final on August 1/Photo Sebastian Gollnow/picture alliance/Getty Images

Tokyo Olympics LIVE UPDATES

AAMMVjn.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=f

July 31, 2021:Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce wins a women's 100m semifinal during the Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games at Olympic Stadium/Photo Kirby Lee - USA Today Sports

JYOSHI - WHAT IS HIP?

ayumu - Death Note / The Worst / G.O.A.T.

pinkhage - Professor Gadget Theme

Yoshihiro Naruse - Narucho Bass Solo

Juna Serita - Run for Cover/Marcus Miller cover

Misa of Band-Maid

T-SQUARE - NATURAL

Before Nirvana and Pearl Jam there was the Mother of Grunge - TINA BELL’S HIDDEN LEGACY: THE BLACK WOMAN WHO CREATED THE SOUND OF GRUNGE

The Black ‘Godmother of Grunge’ Who Inspired Your Fav Bands

antonmay19p-thumb-610x305-51632.jpg

Supporters gather in Johannesburg for a May 3 rally for Anton Hammerl's release from Libya. Siphiwe Sibeko/Reuters

One Free Press Coalition's '10 Most Urgent' list, August 2021

Steely Dan ~ Peg 1977 Disco Purrfection Version

Squirrel Nut Zippers - Hell

The Rolling Stones - Happy

Reverend Horton Heat - Like A Rocket

Fanny Mae & The Dynamite Believers - Dream Lover

Yola - Diamond Studded Shoes

RATATAT - CREAM ON CHROME

The Avalanches - Because I'm Me

One of my favorite Wikipedia articles is the timeline of the far future, which details the predictions science makes about the possible futures of the Earth, solar system, galaxy, and universe, from Antares exploding in a supernova visible from Earth in broad daylight in 10,000 years to the end of star formation in galaxies 1 trillion years from now…and beyond. In this video, John Boswell takes us on a trip through that timeline, a journey to the end of time

What to Make of the “Concerning” New CDC Study

Who's outbidding you by tens of thousands of dollars for that home of your dreams? A hedge fund

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

1024x538_cmsv2_c58e0b55-e0f6-5d88-a6d0-9

British long jumper Abigail Irozuru - Photo © africanews/JONATHAN NACKSTRAND/AFP 

AP PHOTOS: Olympic jumpers return to Earth in spray of sand

white-1.jpg

Time

Base Quantities -- In this photographic series, London-based photographer Greg White explains the abstract and fundamental concepts of physics. His minimal, graphic images document all seven components (i.e. mass, electric current, temperature, length, luminous intensity, amount of substance, and time) of the arbitrarily defined system used in measuring physical properties.

Yola - Walk Through Fire (Live at The Current)

Hot Boogie Chillun - Wanna Hear You Scream

Squirrel Nut Zippers - Ghost of Stephen Foster

Foo Fighters Cover “Mississippi Queen” Live on the Stern Show

Paramore - Misery Business

Team Bieber and plagiarism never sleep -- The Kid LAROIL & Justin Bieber - STAY

Thundercat, with Jon Batiste & Stay Human - Them Changes

Forget the Oxy and Fentanyl, runnin' the border with pork contraband ... Bacon may disappear in California as pig rules take effect

When he moved into his new home, Keith Roles found a surefire way to become the most popular person in the neighborhood — he started handing out dog treats from his front yard. Roles didn't stop there, though. He also put treats in his pocket and distributed them during his daily walks. It didn't take long before his canine neighbors caught on, and now they flock to his yard and wait by the windows for him to walk by their own homes.

Imelda May - Tribal

Tiger Army - In The Orchard

Dua Lipa - Love Again

The Hillbilly Moon Explosion ft. Sparky from Demented Are Go - My Love For Evermore

Stephen Lynch - Queer Tattoo

Billy Lee Riley - Red Hot (1957)

Camilla Cabello - Havana (LIVE at the 61st GRAMMYs)

Green Day - Knowledge

Florida and Texas had one-third of all US Covid-19 cases in past week, official says

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

a344ef9ef721de59771cb79b797a8a47

Photo NBCSports

Canada breaks 20-year drought and defeats USWNT in Summer Olympics’ Semifinal skirmish

Prince Rave Un2 The Year 2000 - Live At Paisley Park, 1999

Frank Zappa A pioneer of Future Music

Chicago - 25 or 6 to 4 - 7/21/1970 - Tanglewood

Carl Perkins - Honey Don’t

The Sleds - Stuck

The Fields - Live at Rhapsody Studio Sessions

The Beach Boys - Wouldn't It Be Nice

Citizen Queen - Evolution Of Girl Groups

Iris Van Herpen blends fashion and science in her latest collection of garments that explore the fragility of marine ecosystems. Earthrise, which debuted at Paris Haute Couture Week on July 5, is comprised of 19 gowns teeming with the Dutch designer’s signature layers and structural flourishes. Exquisite and elaborately constructed, the garments seamlessly merge aquatic motifs and colors into a dynamic collection focused on preserving the environment in both aesthetic and material. Five of the designs are made entirely of recycled plastics sourced from Parley for the Oceans, which is working to protect the planet’s bodies of water from pollution and further degradation. Other pieces in the collection are the product of collaborations with artists like Rogan Brown, who brought his laser-cut reliefs resembling coral reefs and microbial structures to the lace-like gowns, while Casey Curran produced kinetic stripes that ripple across one dress in a mesmerizing blue-to-white gradient. Artist James Merry is responsible for the futuristic metal jewelry, while Eichi Matsunaga created the long, bulbous nails designs.

Journey - Stone In Love

Electric Light Orchestra - Don't Bring Me Down

Bruce Springsteen - Dancing In the Dark

Shocking Blue - Venus

Van Morrison - Days Like This

The ‘$27.85 Beer’: High-Flying Prices at Airports Spur Port Authority Concessions Audit Order -- That handles Kennedy, LaGuardia and Newark. Where's the FFA audit when you're being charged $10.00 for a bottle of water at LAX?

Matthew 5:45 -- that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. -- NKJV

AAMUAHL.img?h=600&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

It wasn't me. © MaryShutterstock/Reuters Plague-carrying chipmunks have shut down scenic sectors of California's Lake Tahoe until August 7. 

Positive plague tests results leads to closures in South Tahoe

Coming to a country near you -- Indonesia surpasses 100,000 deaths amid new virus wave

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Yesterday I bit the bullet and applied to 5 different jobs. One as a lab tech helper at a University, one as a receptionist at a physiotherapy clinic, and three dental receptionist jobs. One of the dental places called me today to set up an interview for next week so we'll see what happens. It's a big clinic, multiple dentist and hygienists which makes me nervous, but maybe it'll be okay. 

Also, the optometrist has prescribed me some corticosteroids drops to put in my eyes twice a day that are supposed to reduce inflammation that he thinks might help with the halos and auras. I only started them today but I hope they work. 

I'm still getting headaches even while on vacation. I've noticed they also get worse while exercising, especially while doing yoga. Something about downward facing dog I guess. 

I hope everyone else is doing well.  

• Love 11

1000.jpeg

Shanne Braspennincx of Team Netherlands waits to compete during the track cycling women's keirin at the 2020 Summer Olympics, Wednesday, Aug. 4, 2021, in Izu, Japan. (AP Photo/Christophe Ena)

Associated Press Olympics Latest: Braspennincx wins women’s keirin gold

82447cbc-a970-4387-abc1-f9cdab3b8fef.JPG

American Sylvia Fowles vies for the ball with Australian Cayla George in their quarterfinal game on August 4. Aris Messinis/Pool/Reuters

Tokyo 2020 is turning into a battle for bragging rights between Team USA and the Aussies. The US and Australia are facing off against each other in four different team sports in three days, an unusual coincidence due to both nations' strong performance in those events. The Americans took round one when the US women's basketball team beat the Australians in the quarterfinals. Thursday will see both country's men's basketball teams play each other in the semifinals. Then the Australian and American women's football teams will face off in that competition's bronze medal match. The new rivalry concludes (for now) with beach volleyball on Friday morning, when Australians Taliqua Clancy and Mariafe Artacho del Solar take on Americans April Ross and Alix Klineman.

Environmental impact of bottled water ‘up to 3,500 times greater than tap water’

AAMWk3H.img?h=450&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=fThe funeral procession for one of the victims of a shooting at a video-game arcade in Uruapan, Mexico, in February 2020/© Marco Ugarte/Associated Press

Mexico Sues Gun Companies in U.S., Accusing Them of Fueling Violence

The Black Keys - Eagle Birds

Moon Taxi - Good As Gold

The Killers - The Man

Pete Molinari ft. Barrie Cadogan - Hang My Head in Shame

Langhorne Slim - House of My Soul

L.J. Waiters - Baby Who's Been Foolin' You

Eli Paperboy Reed - Movin'

EAMON - Fly

A group of scientists discovered that if they cool ordinary oily droplets floating in water down to around 2-8°C, they change shape, grow tentacles, and propel themselves around like tiny little sci-fi creatures.

Leon Bridges - Shine

EDDIE KENDRICKS - Boogie Down

ARON WRIGHT - You & Me (The Wildfire)

Barbarossa - Bloodline

MICHAEL KIWANUKA - I've Been Dazed

Anderson East - This Too Shall Last

O.A.R. - Miss You All The Time

WHITAKER - My Own

Imani Coppola - Just Feels Good

Cigarettes After Sex - Apocalypse

Joe Cocker - You Can Leave Your Hat On

Appellate judges uphold Maryland beach town’s topless ban

1260.jpeg

This undated photo provided by Jodie Gedeon shows David Lidstone, 81, who for nearly three decades has lived in the woods of Canterbury, N.H. along the Merrimack River in a shack, growing his own food and cutting his firewood. He's now jailed after not complying with a court order to leave, and there's a growing petition to just let "River Dave" live out his days off the grid. (Jodie Gedeon via AP)

Fire destroys cabin of New Hampshire man forced out of woods

Associated Press Coronavirus Pandemic Reports

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Yesterday I bit the bullet and applied to 5 different jobs. One as a lab tech helper at a University, one as a receptionist at a physiotherapy clinic, and three dental receptionist jobs. One of the dental places called me today to set up an interview for next week so we'll see what happens. It's a big clinic, multiple dentist and hygienists which makes me nervous, but maybe it'll be okay. 

Also, the optometrist has prescribed me some corticosteroids drops to put in my eyes twice a day that are supposed to reduce inflammation that he thinks might help with the halos and auras. I only started them today but I hope they work. 

I'm still getting headaches even while on vacation. I've noticed they also get worse while exercising, especially while doing yoga. Something about downward facing dog I guess. 

Some good news! You may have a sinus problem. That pressure you feel when you bend down is possibly fluid building up in your sinus's. Maybe get some Sudafed? I have chronic sinus problems with symptoms like you describe. Sudafed works a treat for me.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Good news, jewel!

Don't stop looking, keep up the job search. It takes time to find the right place and the right people.

Pull back on second guessing the job interview or discouraging yourself before you talk to these people. Try to control the negative by taking control by finding the positive in this opportunity. Whatever good is to be found ...  better location, easier transportation, better hours or money, the interviewer thinks you'll be a good fit in their organization, you won't be going back to the snake pit ... Hold on to the positive.

Try not to defeat yourself before you get started.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 7

Thanks guys, that is what I am trying to do. The office manager I spoke with on the phone was very friendly and easy to talk to and she was English. The clinic is only 25 minutes away by bus, and that's with having to transfer buses so it's really do-able. The hours are longer which I wanted because I need something full-time and stable. When asked why I wanted to leave my current position, that was the reason I used. And even if I get it and don't think it's the right fit, I can just look for something else while there and I won't be at the crazy place so there's that. I will have to start buying bus passes again, but that's fine with the bump in pay due to longer hours. I don't want to stress myself out too much but I'm starting to prepare slowly for the interview, e.g. Going through their website to learn about the clinic and the dentists, the services they provide, etc. And I'm going to go through my dental notes as well from the school just to refresh my knowledge as well as practice some interview questions. 

Also, not sure if this is a good for bad thing yet, but apparently that is the clinic both my cousin and douche canoe uncle go to. Apparently one of the dentists in a childhood friend of his whom I've never met. I only found this out after I applied. 

Peaches, I will look into the Sudafed, thanks for the head's up! Hopefully it's something that simple because right now I'm convinced I have an aneurism that's going to burst, a brain tumour, or brain bleed, heh. 

• Love 8

I don't want to stress myself out too much but I'm starting to prepare slowly for the interview, e.g. Going through their website to learn about the clinic and the dentists, the services they provide, etc. And I'm going to go through my dental notes as well from the school just to refresh my knowledge as well as practice some interview questions. 

That's really smart! Yes, do try the Sudafed. Lol, I'm like you, I always think everything is some scary thing and it never is. It's going to be all right.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Be careful with cortico steroids. Don't use them longer than a week. My health was ruined by them. Eleven years since I used any and I am still going through the horrific "withdrawl" from them. They literally ruined my health. Yet doctors prescribe them like candy and they are even in over the counter lotions. They are poison. If anyone has questions or is interested you can go here: https://www.itsan.org

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Oh @jewel21, another way to apply heat to your eyes is to rub the heels of your palms together to heat them up and then apply them to your eyes. Soothing. Go for when you're on the go or don't have access to a nice warm washcloth.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

210805200829-usa-today-cover-aug-6-super

'We are failing one another:' USA Today front page implores people to pay attention to Covid-19 surge

THE FILTHY SOULS - Here I Am

Serena Ryder - Got Your Number

Nick Waterhouse - Is That Clear (Live on KEXP)

KING'S CROW - Rise Up

Cold War Kids - Can We Hang On?

Parliament - Up For The Down Stroke

Jim James - Here In Spirit

Sam Martin - It's Gonna Get Better

Eric Burdon & War - Spill The Wine

The Dig perform "Feel Like Somebody Else" for Project Rhythm Seed

EARL ST. CLAIR - Can't Stop

The Chainsmokers & Coldplay - Something Just Like This

Aquilo - I Could Fight On A Wall

ERIC KUFS - Drop of Honey

Jimmy Lumpkin & The Revival - Bones And Ghosts

BARNS COURTNEY - Fire

LANGHORNE SLIM & THE LAW - Bring You My Love

Vancouver Sleep Clinic - Someone to Stay

Charles Bradley & His Extraordinaires - Nobody But You (Live on KEXP)

OLSSON feat. Mapei - Hold On

Half Moon Run - Need It

Tom Walker - Rapture

THE EAGLE ROCK GOSPEL SINGERS - Outta My Head

Michael Kiwanuka - Love & Hate (Live Session)

TWIN CAVERNS - Undiscover

0*UM4-_ltztPv6UIi9.jpeg

Marine biologist Wendy Craig-Duncan carries the Sydney Olympic torch underwater along the Great Barrier Reef in Queensland.

Hosting the Olympics comes at a massive cost

New survey offers a glimmer of hope for declining native bee populations

• Useful 1
  • Love 7