Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

210901093746-01-grand-isle-hurricane-ida

Grand Isle, Louisiana after Hurricane Ida/CNN Photo

Flash-flood warning, tornado watch as Ida pounds Massachusetts

Grand jury indicts police officers and paramedics in 2019 death of Elijah McClain

Davin McCoy - The Sun

Tara Priya - Achin'

THE TRIGGER CODE - The Defender

Mocean Worker - Shake Ya Boogie

Shaun Taylor McManus - The Last Stand

TREVOR MENEAR - Answer Me

Craig Erickson - You're The One

Jimi Hendrix - Izabella Fillmore East 12/31/1969

Miranda Lambert - Little Red Wagon

Grouplove - Ways To Go, Live on KROQ

Chicago - Saturday in the Park & Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?

Mary Chapin Carpenter - Shut Up and Kiss Me

612f5a03bbe9a.jpg

An Apollo butterfly lands on an oxeye daisy in the Haut-Jura Regional Nature Park, eastern France, as shot by French photographer Emelin Dupieux/Wildlife Photographer of the Year

Stunning images released by Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2021 competition

I’m a Sex Worker and a Sex-Trafficking Survivor. Shame on Bill Maher for Mocking Us.

Flying car completes 35-minute test flight between cities

Child Covid-19 hospitalizations reach a new high. That's not the only reason kids need to be protected from Delta, doctors say

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 4

AP21240767721408.jpg?w=2560&h=1440&crop=

In this Aug. 30, 2005 file photo, Floodwaters from Hurricane Katrina fill the streets near downtown New Orleans. Hurricane Ida looks an awful lot like Hurricane Katrina, bearing down on the same part of Louisiana on the same calendar date. But hurricane experts say there are differences in the two storms 16 years apart that may prove key and may make Ida nastier in some ways but less dangerous in others.(AP Photo/David J. Phillip, File)

From Katrina to Ida, what has Louisiana learned?

U.S. Government Shuts Down Stalker Software Company

Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats - You Worry Me (Live In Dublin)

The Velvet Underground & Nico - I'll Be Your Mirror

Edwyn Collins - A Girl Like You

Ozark Mountain Daredevils - Jackie Blue

Grace Slick Vocals Isolated - White Rabbit

Jeff Buckley - Vancouver

Norma Tanega - You're Dead

Was (Not Was) - Walk The Dinosaur

Bangs - I Want More

Tenacious D - Time Warp

The Producers - Springtime for Hitler and Germany

ABBA back after 40 years with new album, virtual stage show

Associated Press PARALYMPIC GAMES coverage

Say hello to handstanding spotted skunks, 'the acrobats of the skunk world'

Not Yet Satisfied: These women are making sexual pleasure a gender equality priority

Three doses of Covid-19 vaccine are likely needed for full protection, Fauci says

Explainer: What is the Texas abortion ban and why does it matter?

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

210903110406-hurricane-larry-satellite-0

Hurricane Larry churns in the central Atlantic on Sept. 3, 2021/CNN

Larry: the next major hurricane in the Atlantic

GM shutting down production at most of its plants in North America

Nothing Will Prepare You for the Pro-Gas Version of Blackstreet’s ‘No Diggity’

Miranda Lambert - Kerosene

Spice Girls - Say You'll Be There

Marshall Crenshaw - Misty Dreamer

Scritti Politti - Perfect Way

Robert Palmer - Bad Case of Loving You (Doctor, Doctor)

PJ Harvey - This Is Love

Republica - Drop Dead Gorgeous

The Pilgrims at Stage 33 Live

Elastica - Connection

An Iowa town goes to battle for Afghan immigrant

Peppa Pig appears to have trolled Kanye West

occam.jpg

Illustration/Getty Images, iStock

U.S. Covid-19 death toll hits 1,500 a day amid delta scourge

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, OhioSongbird said:

Words to live by:

"Racecar backwards is racecar.

Racecar upside down is expensive."

Needlepointing this on a pillow.

5 hours ago, SweePea59 said:

Loved the cat vid, Cupid. Thx.

I'm fascinated by Asian-produced cat videos.

They seem like animal behavior studies, with a schmoopy I Wuv Vu swirly of whipped cream and sprinkles on top.

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Needlepointing this on a pillow.

I'm fascinated by Asian-produced cat videos.

They seem like animal behavior studies, with a schmoopy I Wuv Vu swirly of whipped cream and sprinkles on top.

I like how they figured out the magical orb. I wish I could read what they are saying. And I love how the light bulb is the universal sign of "idea"

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

AAO6wND.img?h=533&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

Photo/© NBC News

Willard Scott, Weatherman of the ‘Today’ Show, Dies at 87

Willard Scott, the clown prince of weathermen and patron saint of centenarians who spent 65 years at NBC, the last 35 of those as a regular on the Today show, has died. He was 87.

The good-natured Scott, a favorite son of the Washington area who created and portrayed the original Ronald McDonald, died Saturday, current Today weatherman Al Roker said.

“We lost a beloved member of our @todayshow family this morning,” Roker shared on Instagram. “Willard Scott passed peacefully at the age of 87 surrounded by family, including his daughters Sally and Mary and his lovely wife, Paris. He was truly my second dad and am where I am today because of his generous spirit. Willard was a man of his times, the ultimate broadcaster. There will never be anyone quite like him.”

Scott announced his retirement from the Today show in December 2015 but still appeared periodically to wish a fond “Happy Birthday” to those viewers who had turned 100 (and more), continuing a triple-digit tradition that he began in 1983.

In 1980, when ABC’s Good Morning America was besting the Today show in the ratings for the first time in almost three decades, NBC News president William Small retaliated by hiring the gap-toothed, overweight Scott to replace weatherman Bob Ryan. He joined Tom Brokaw and Jane Pauley on the broadcast.

Scott, 6-foot-3 and at times approaching 300 pounds, had spent the previous 13 years as the folksy weather guy at WRC-TV, NBC’s station in D.C. Audiences in the nation’s capital saw Scott appear on camera taking a bath, emerge from a manhole on Groundhog Day and wear only a barrel to remind viewers that it was Tax Day.

On the Today show, he came on the air clad in a dress, large earnings, platform shoes and a fruit-topped hat a la singer Carmen Miranda; he also was made up as Boy George and Cupid (for Valentine’s Day). On The Tonight Show, he removed his toupee and showed Jay Leno his bald head.

It didn’t matter that Scott was not really an expert on the weather. A People magazine story in 1980 noted that his reports were prepared by two professional meteorologists.

“I became a household word,” Willard said in 1989, “but I know, even if the rest of the world doesn’t, that buffooning is not what has made me work. I work because people know I love them. I also know that just the fact that I’m alive offends some people. I’m big, overpowering, flamboyant and loud. That’s a turnoff, but some people see a heart to this beast. I might put my foot in my mouth five times out of six, but the sixth time, I strike a chord, and people respond.”

An only child, Scott was born on March 7, 1934, in Alexandria, Virginia. His mother was a telephone operator and his father a life insurance salesman. At age 8, he had his own radio station (in the basement of the family home) that actually sold ads, and by 1950 he had landed a job as a page at WRC for $12 a week.

While attending D.C.’s American University, where he would earn degrees in philosophy and religion, Scott began a comedy radio show with a blind classmate, Ed Walker; they billed themselves as The Joy Boys and performed locally for nearly two decades.

In 1955, Scott made his TV debut as a host on the show Afternoon, also featuring a teenage Jim Henson and the Muppets, then played Bozo the Clown five days a week on another show starting in 1959. As the famous clown, he appeared in commercials for the first McDonald’s in the area.

“When Bozo went off the air,” he wrote in his 1983 book The Joy of Living, “the local McDonald’s people asked me to come up with a new character to take Bozo’s place. So I sat down and created Ronald McDonald.”

As Ronald, he sported a paper cup on his nose and a cardboard carry-out tray on his head during commercials. When McDonald’s introduced the character to a nationwide audience, it chose a clown from the Ringling Brothers circus to play Ronald, and Scott was very disappointed.

Scott served as the Today show’s No. 1 weatherman until he stepped aside for Roker in 1996. In the years since, he really endeared himself to viewers of all ages with his salutes (sponsored by Smucker’s) to centenarians.

Here’s how one segment went in 2014: “Millie, I love you, you are so sweet. Millie Kuperman is from Staten Island, New York, and she is 101 years old today. She loves to play the piano. I bet she knows all the old songs. … This is Knut Einarsen, and he is from Kenmore, Washington state. He’s 100 years old today, and you know something? He can drink two pots of coffee every single day!”

Survivors include his wife, Paris, whom he wed in 2014, and the two daughters from his first marriage to Mary Dwyer Scott; they were married from 1959 until her death in 2002.

-- Mike Barnes

Edited by Cupid Stunt
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I like how they figured out the magical orb. I wish I could read what they are saying. And I love how the light bulb is the universal sign of "idea"

b00ee3ee3f01a59e12fbcd5d55d0ace8.jpg

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • LOL 5

AANhWEC.img?h=450&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

An inventory of pre-sold caskets at a funeral home in April 2020 in New York City/© Spencer Platt/Getty Images 

How many people have died from Covid-19? We may never know

HIV/AIDS vaccine: Why don’t we have one after 37 years, when we have several for COVID-19 after a few months?

Companies: $26B settlement of opioid lawsuits to move ahead

R. Kelly Trial: Woman Accuses Disgraced Singer of Paying $200,000 to Settle STD Lawsuit

Nico-Icon

Rage Against The Machine - Killing In The Name

Marshall Crenshaw - WNEW live October 6, 1983

Paula Cole - I Don't Want to Wait

SAYGRACE - Church On Sunday

ABBA - I Still Have Faith In You

Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats - Hey Mama

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Weight of the World

Guards - I Know It's You

ZZ Ward - 365 Days (The Summer's Over)

Sleeperstar - I Was Wrong

Alan Pasqua - My New Old Friend

KELLY PARDEKOOPER - Yonder

Tracy Chapman - Across the Lines

The Tubes - What Do You Want From Life

1000.jpeg

Two firefighters from Cosumnes Fire Department carry water hoses while holding a fire line to keep the Caldor Fire from spreading in South Lake Tahoe, Calif., Friday, Sept. 3, 2021. Fire crews took advantage of decreasing winds to battle a California wildfire near popular Lake Tahoe and were even able to allow some people back to their homes but dry weather and a weekend warming trend meant the battle was far from over. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)

Lake Tahoe evacuees hope to return home as wildfire slows

800.jpeg

In this June 10, 2020 file photo, cattle is seen at a feedlot in Columbus, Neb. Cattle producers for 35 years have been bankrolling one of the nation's most iconic marketing campaigns, but now many want to end the program that created the "Beef. It's What's for Dinner" slogan. What's the ranchers' beef? It's that their mandatory fee of $1 per head of cattle sold is not specifically promoting American beef at a time when imports are flooding the market and plant-based, "fake meat" products are proliferating in grocery stores. (AP Photo/Nati Harnik File)

Moo -- Cattle producers have a beef with 35-year marketing campaign

• Useful 1

Lee ‘Scratch’ Perry, Reggae Giant and Dub Pioneer, Dead at 85

Lee “Scratch” Perry, the monumental reggae singer, producer and studio wizard who pushed the boundaries of Jamaican music — and as a byproduct, rock, hip-hop and dance — with his explorations into dub, has died at the age of 85.

The Jamaican Observer reports that Perry died Sunday at the Noel Holmes Hospital in western Jamaica. Cause of death was unknown at press time.

Andrew Holness, the Prime Minister of Jamaica, tweeted Sunday, “My deep condolences to the family, friends, and fans of legendary record producer and singer, Rainford Hugh Perry OD, affectionately known as ‘Lee Scratch’ Perry. He has worked with and produced for various artistes, including Bob Marley and the Wailers, the Congos, Adrian Sherwood, the Beastie Boys, and many others. Undoubtedly, Lee Scratch Perry will always be remembered for his sterling contribution to the music fraternity. May his soul Rest In Peace.”

Beastie Boys’ Mike D wrote on social media Sunday, “We send the most love and respect we can to Lee Perry who passed today, to his family and loved ones and the many he influenced with his pioneering spirit and work. We are truly grateful to have been inspired by, worked with and collaborated with this true legend. Let us all listen to his deep catalog in tribute.”

Over a career spanning seven decades, Perry was one of music’s most prolific artists; Kiss Me Neck, a book that lists Perry’s entire recording output through the early 2000s, runs over 300 pages.

“You could never put your finger on Lee Perry – he’s the Salvador Dali of music,” Keith Richards told Rolling Stone in 2010. “He’s a mystery. The world is his instrument. You just have to listen. More than a producer, he knows how to inspire the artist’s soul. Like Phil Spector, he has a gift of not only hearing sounds that come from nowhere else, but also translating those sounds to the musicians. Scratch is a shaman.”

“It was Lee Perry’s sound and the Jamaican toasters that inspired us to start hip-hop,” Afrika Bambaataa said.

“Lee ‘Scratch’ Perry transfigured reggae’s loping cadence and R&B heart into something darker, holier and more dangerous — a music of visionary rhythmic textures and biblical-warrior vengeance,” David Fricke wrote in his 1997 review of the Arkology compilation.

“At Black Ark, Perry definitely operated on the crumbling margins of sanity; his own ‘Soul Fire’ is anguished, hallucinatory dub, the sound of a man driven to terror and incoherence. But for the most part, Perry was crazy like George Clinton, drawing dynamic performances from a fluid cast of singers and sidemen and camouflaging his calls for social change and spiritual retribution in cool licks and cartoonish mysticism.”

Born in rural Jamaica in 1936, the scrappy Rainford Hugh “Lee” Perry moved to Kingston in the early Sixties. “My father worked on the road, my mother in the fields. We were very poor. I went to school… I learned nothing at all. Everything I have learned has come from nature,” Perry told NME in 1984. “When I left school there was nothing to do except field work. Hard, hard labor. I didn’t fancy that. So I started playing dominoes. Through dominoes I practiced my mind and learned to read the minds of others. This has proved eternally useful to me.”

Perry’s career in music began in the late Fifties when he was employed to sell records for Clement “Coxsone” Dodd’s Downbeat Sound System; by the early Sixties, Dodd opened his famed Studio One, where Perry — nicknamed “Little” at the time, due to his 4’11″ stature — got his first experience in the recording studio, producing a few dozens song for the label.

“Coxsone never wanted to give a country boy a chance. No way. He took my songs and gave them to people like Delroy Wilson. I got no credit, certainly no money. I was being screwed.”

After falling out with Dodd, Perry jumped over to Joe Gibbs’ rival label Amalgamated Records, where Perry continued to produce in addition to furthering his own recording career as lead artist. Disagreements between the irascible Perry and Gibbs resulted in “Scratch” finally forming his own label Upsetter Records — a nod to Perry’s proclamation “I am the Upsetter” — in 1968.

Thanks to his popularity in Jamaica and the U.K. — where his 1968 single “People Funny Boy,” a slam at Gibbs, became a Top Five hit — in 1973, Perry was able to build his own backyard studio in Kingston, which he named “the Black Ark.” Here, Perry’s artistic endeavors led him to push the limits of the recording studio’s relatively antiquated capabilities to create his “versions.” As the architect of the remixed sound, Perry would layer (or overdub) his own rhythms and riddims with repetitive vocal hooks lifted from other songs — providing the blueprint for sampling in other genres — along with deep, reverberating bass, errant sound effects and disembodied horn melodies, all stewed together.

“The bass is the brain, and the drum is the heart,” Perry told Rolling Stone in 2010. “I listen to my body to find the beat. From there, it’s just experimenting with the sounds of the animals in the ark.”

With his seasoned backing band the Upsetters — a nod to Perry’s proclamation “I am the Upsetter” — Perry shepherded dub masterpieces like 1973’s Blackboard Jungle, the Upsetters’ landmark 1976 LP Super Ape and Perry’s own Roast Fish Collie Weed & Corn Bread.

Perry and his backing band commercially weaponized the dub sound as producer on numerous acclaimed mid-Seventies reggae records — Max Romeo’s War Ina Babylon, the Heptones’ Party Time, the Congos’ Heart of the Congos and Junior Murvin’s Police & Thieves  — that helped establish Jamaican music as an international art form and powerhouse. Murvin’s “Police & Thieves,” co-written by Perry, was covered by the Clash on their self-titled 1977 debut album; the reggae-indebted punk band also recruited Perry — who was in London to record Bob Marley’s “Punky Reggae Party,” itself a tribute to the Clash’s Murvin cover — to produce their single “Complete Control” later that year. (As Perry once quipped about his appeal to the punk movement, “If I want to spit here, I spit here. If I want to piss there, I piss there. I am punk.”)

“Perry was using a 4-track at the Black Ark studio, but he could get about a hundred other tracks bouncing in and out of there by using stones, water, kitchen utensils and whatever else was available,” Romeo told Rolling Stone. “He makes his money by being crazy, but he’s no crazier than I am. All geniuses are mad. I remember Chris Blackwell at Black Ark sitting on a couch and saying, ‘Scratch, the tape is spilling over. You can’t do that!’ Scratch just said, ‘The album is called Super Ape, and so I need a Super Tape!’ He is a wizard, there is nobody else like him.”

However, following the release of the Upsetters’ Return of the Super Ape in 1978 — and after artists like Paul and Linda McCartney (“Mister Sandman“) sought out Perry at his home studio — the Black Ark era began its slow erosion when Perry suffered a mental breakdown. The property fell into disrepair as a paranoid Perry lessened his musical output and scrawled all over the studio’s surfaces with a marker; Perry, according to legend, ultimately burned down the studio in 1983.

“I needed to be forgiven of my sin,” Perry told Rolling Stone. “I created my sin, and I burned my sin, and I am born again.”

Following the Black Ark era, Perry moved to England and the U.S. before ultimately residing in Switzerland with his family. He would remain prolific for the next three decades, releasing new albums on his own at a yearly pace, working with longtime fans like the Beastie Boys (Hello Nasty‘s “Dr. Lee PhD“) as well as frequent collaborations with Mad Professor, the Orb, Subatomic Soundsystem and Adrian Sherwood. In 2019, Perry released his twin LPs Rainford (his birth name) and Heavy Rain, the latter featuring guests like Brian Eno, who once hailed Perry as “one of the geniuses of recorded music.”

As Beastie Boys’ Mike D said in the Perry biography People Funny Boy, “All three of us are all really inspired and influenced by Lee Perry’s music and production. I think of it in terms of opening up truly infinite possibilities of sound and music, by manipulating sounds through using the mixing board and every outboard effect and every potential tape speed to achieve sounds you might have in your head, to make those a reality.”

“What a character! Totally ageless! Extremely creative, with a memory as sharp as a tape machine! A brain as accurate as a computer!” Perry’s longtime collaborator Mad Professor wrote Sunday on social media. “A clear understanding of the music and reggae industry…He guided me through the complicated reggae landscape, taught me how to balance a track to create hits… he knew it…I am happy to have learnt from him.”

Scratch’s son Sean Perry said of his eccentric father in People Funny Boy, “Mr. Perry is an enigma, but trust me, he is ahead of his time; it’s we who have to try to catch him up.”

-- Daniel Kreps

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

AAO7M7F.img?h=450&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

Mercedes Carrera, 71, received a dose of Covid vaccine at Rosewood Family Health Center in Portland, Ore., on Friday/© Alisha Jucevic for The New York Times

Covid-19 Deaths Surge Across a Weary America as a Once-Hopeful Summer Ends

Gun violence: America's other epidemic

Our Summer From Hell

See whales approach a paddle boarder in Argentina

freedomland_guidecover0000mv.jpg

Credit: Michael R. Virgintino Collection

My Weird Obsession With the Dark Underbelly of Amusement Parks

laborday-e1473041567563-1.jpg

The Real History of Labor Day

Labor Day was born from the most radical struggles of the nineteenth century. Celebrate it.

This Labor Day, We Remember Our Essential Workers

The 50-100 Pay Gap Series

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

F0527F63-57DF-491A-B0D7-4BF06AE952FF.jpe

US reaches 40 million recorded Covid-19 cases -- with 4 million counted in the last 4 weeks

London Grammar - Strong

Craig Erickson - Miss Your Love

Years & Years - Palo Santo

Chuck Hall Band - Ain't Gonna Lie to Ya

Flossie and the Fox - Don't Ask Why

Glass Animals - Hazey

Hans Olson - Another Day With The Blues

Tito Y Tarantula - After Dark

Def Leppard - Pour Some Sugar On Me

RICK JAMES AND TEENA MARIE - FIRE AND DESIRE

bitchin-the-sound-and-fury-of-rick-james

Bitchin': The Sound and Fury of Rick James (Kory Mello/Obscured Pictures/Showtime)

Before Hip-Hop Embraced 'The Chronic' There Was Rick James' 'Mary Jane'

Race and ethnicity across the nation

‘I Was Just Shocked and Frozen’: Alleged Sexual Assault Victims Reveal Chilling Details About Ron Jeremy

Nadia Ali - Rapture (Avicii New Generation Extended Mix)

Deniz Koyu - Hydra

Italian Secret Service - Not the Same

CooBee Coo - Never Gonna Leave Your Side

Misun - Cutoff

TARA PRIYA - BRUTAL GAMES

RONNY TIBBS - Any Trouble

Big Pete Pearson - Too Much Trouble

Ben Cocks - So Cold

FRANCINE REED - Good Lovin' Woman

Patrick Park -- Down in the Blackness

Zachary Kibbee - Baby Blue (with Diamonds)

The Infatuations - Back Again

Chris Arena - Slow Burn

What a hurricane means when you live in Louisiana's 'Cancer Alley'

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

The Problem With Being Cool About Sex reminds me of this:

“Men always say that as the defining compliment, don’t they? She’s a cool girl. Being the Cool Girl means I am a hot, brilliant, funny woman who adores football, poker, dirty jokes, and burping, who plays video games, drinks cheap beer, loves threesomes and anal sex, and jams hot dogs and hamburgers into her mouth like she’s hosting the world’s biggest culinary gang bang while somehow maintaining a size 2, because Cool Girls are above all hot. Hot and understanding. Cool Girls never get angry; they only smile in a chagrined, loving manner and let their men do whatever they want. Go ahead, shit on me, I don’t mind, I’m the Cool Girl."

- Gillian Flynn from Gone Girl.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

The Problem With Being Cool About Sex reminds me of this:

“Men always say that as the defining compliment, don’t they? She’s a cool girl. Being the Cool Girl means I am a hot, brilliant, funny woman who adores football, poker, dirty jokes, and burping, who plays video games, drinks cheap beer, loves threesomes and anal sex, and jams hot dogs and hamburgers into her mouth like she’s hosting the world’s biggest culinary gang bang while somehow maintaining a size 2, because Cool Girls are above all hot. Hot and understanding. Cool Girls never get angry; they only smile in a chagrined, loving manner and let their men do whatever they want. Go ahead, shit on me, I don’t mind, I’m the Cool Girl."

- Gillian Flynn from Gone Girl.

What do you get when a narcissist and a sociopath marry, lose their loathsome, self-serving jobs in NYC and reluctantly move to No Where, Missouri?

Gone Girl.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

What do you get when a narcissist and a sociopath marry, lose their loathsome, self-serving jobs in NYC and reluctantly move to No Where, Missouri?

Gone Girl.

Agreed. It's a stupid book but that part stayed with me because it's true.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Agreed. It's a stupid book but that part stayed with me because it's true.

Sure, for two cynical writers steeped in FindTheNextBigThingMediaInc. who are convinced to chase after the same claptrap they generate for every assignment.

I don't recommend the book or movie for the inconsistent authorship and direction, everyone is an unreliable narrator or observer, and vacillating characterizations.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

Jean-Paul Belmondo, ‘Breathless’ Star and Epitome of Gallic Cool, Dies at 88

jean-paul_belmondo3-h_2018.jpg?w=681&h=3

Jean-Paul Belmondo, the rugged French actor who swept to international stardom as the anti-hero in Jean-Luc Godard’s 1960 classic Breathless, has died. He was 88.

Belmondo died Monday in his Paris home, his lawyer Michel Godest told the AFP.

In his role in Breathless, as a professional car thief, amoral killer and lover of an American expat played by Hollywood star Jean Seberg, Belmondo was hailed as the French Humphrey Bogart. Many saw him as a cross between Bogie and James Dean.

With his boxer’s nose, shaggy haircut and lopsided smile, he was not your typical matinee idol; he played characters that were often reckless tough guys yet also nonchalantly French.

During the course of six decades and more than 80 films, Belmondo starred in art house movies by Godard, Francois Truffaut, Alain Resnais, Claude Sautet and Jean-Pierre Melville in addition to scores of action flicks in which he did his own stunts.

In 1989, he was awarded a best actor Cesar Award for his performance in the Claude Lelouch dramedy Itineraire d’un enfant gate (Itinerary of a Spoiled Child). But he refused to accept the trophy because it was designed by a famous artist (Cesar Baldaccini) who had never acknowledged the work of Belmondo’s father, the sculptor Paul Belmondo.

The actor suffered a severe stroke in 2001 that paralyzed the right side of his body and left him unable to speak for six months. But he went on to appear in two more movies, including playing the lead in A Man and His Dog (2009), a remake of the Vittorio De Sica neorealist classic Umberto D.

Belmondo received an honorary Palme d’Or at the 2011 Cannes Film Festival, an honorary Golden Lion at the 2016 Venice Film Festival and an honorary Cesar in 2017, when he appeared onstage surrounded by a throng of French stars.

In a 2016 interview with film magazine Premiere, Belmondo, then 85, reflected on his career: “I’ve had the luck to be among those actors who’ve delved into all sorts of genres, from brainy New Wave films to laugh-out-loud comedies. I really have no regrets.”

Jean-Paul Belmondo was born on April, 9, 1933, in Neuilly-sur-Seine, an affluent neighborhood just outside of Paris. His father’s works can be found in the Tuileries Garden near the Louvre and on the facade of the Paris Opera.

The young Belmondo was an avid cyclist and soccer goalie who would co-found the Paris Saint-Germain soccer squad in 1970. He also was a boxer who fought professionally in his teens, with nine fights, four wins and one draw.

When he was 16, Belmondo decided to become an actor and was eventually admitted to the prestigious Paris Conservatoire of Drama, where he would befriend fellow thespians Jean Rochefort, Jean-Pierre Marielle and Bruno Cremer. He graduated in 1956 but was denied entry to the Comedie-Francaise after the Conservatoire jury refused to award him with honors, for which Belmondo apparently responded by giving them the finger.

After minor roles in such films as Marcel Carne’s Youthful Sinners (1958) and Marc Allegret’s Un drole de dimanche (1958), Belmondo crossed paths with the burgeoning French New Wave, starring in Claude Chabrol’s third feature, the seldom-seen crime drama A Double Tour (1959), and the Godard short film Charlotte and Her Boyfriend (1960).

But it was with Godard’s Breathless that the actor skyrocketed to fame in France and abroad. Starring alongside Seberg, Belmondo played a wily gangster named Michel Poiccard who models himself on Bogart, just as Godard fashioned his film after Hollywood B-movies that he deconstructed into a bold new work of modernity.

Chain-smoking and speaking directly to the camera, Belmondo turned in a lively, funny and physical performance would become one of the most notable of his career while making Breathless one of history’s most influential films.

The actor starred in another 1960 release that also would become a local hit in years to come: Sautet’s debut Classe tous risques, where he played opposite Lino Ventura.

To the public, Belmondo represented a new wave of actors with regular, flawed features. “The revolution of Breathless was that the young lead wasn’t pretty to look at,” he said years later. He would set a precedent for everyday-looking stars like De Niro, Pacino and Hoffman, who would mark Hollywood films of the next two decades.

During the rest of the ’60s, the actor headlined more than 30 movies by a variety of renowned filmmakers: Peter Brook’s Seven Days … Seven Nights (1960); De Sica’s Two Women (1960); Melville’s Leon Morin, Priest (1961), Le Doulos (1962) and Magnet of Doom (1963); Henri Verneuil’s A Monkey in Winter (1962) and Greed in the Sun (1964); Philippe de Broca’s That Man From Rio (1964); Rene Clement’s Is Paris Burning? (1965) and Truffaut’s Mississippi Mermaid (1969).

The actor also would star in two of Godard’s most memorable films: A Woman Is a Woman (1961) and Pierrot le Fou (1965). His performance in the latter — as a family man who falls for a dangerous old flame (Anna Karina) and soon loses his mind — is among his greatest.

In the 1970s, Belmondo switched to more commercial fare, headlining a number of French action flicks in which he famously performed his own stunts and injured himself several times. His most daring work was in Henri Verneuil’s thriller The Night Caller (1975), where he was suspended from a helicopter and stood atop a moving metro.

By the early ’80s, Belmondo had become France’s biggest box-office star, with films like Georges Lautner’s The Professional (1981) and Gerard Oury’s Ace of Aces (1982) attracting millions of moviegoers. A serious injury on the set of Alexandre Arcady’s 1985 police comedy Hold-Up helped put an end to Belmondo’s reign as an action hero.

“I don’t want to be the flying grandpa of French cinema,” he said at the time.

In the years that followed, he returned to the stage, playing Cyrano de Bergerac in 1989 and headlining two renditions of classic works by Georges Feydeau.

After Itineraire d’un enfant gate, he worked again with Lelouch in 1995 on an adaption of the Victor Hugo classic Les Miserables, where he played a character inspired by the novel’s hero, Jean Valjean.

In 2018, it was announced that Belmondo would reteam with Lelouch once more for a sequel to Itineraire d’un enfant gate, with the actor once again starring alongside Richard Anconina.

Belmondo was married to dancer Elodie Constantin, with whom he had three children, Florence, Paul and the late Patricia, from 1952 until their 1966 divorce, which came after he began dating Swiss actress Ursula Andress on the set of Up to His Ears (1965). (She was separated from director John Derek at the time.) Belmondo then was romantically involved with Italian actress Laura Antonelli from 1972-80.

In 1989, he began dating ballet and television danseuse Natty Tardivel. They were married from 2002-08 and had a daughter, Stella.

-- Jordan Mintzer

Quote from "Breathless"

Patricia Franchini: What is your greatest ambition in life?

Parvulesco: To become immortal... and then die.

• Love 2

6138aa353cdb2.image.jpg?crop=1567,1175,9

Schools don't need to see a big uptick in Covid-19 cases if they follow these measures, Dr. Anthony Fauci says. Students here arrive during the first day of classes in Novi, Michigan, on September 7/Photo Emily Elconin/Bloomberg/Getty Images

Schools superintendent talks about the 'big tragedy' happening across America

monument-removal-usa-ps-210908_163110685

Photo ABCNews

Robert E. Lee statue on historic Virginia street removed

Americans warier of US government surveillance: AP-NORC poll

Elizabeth Holmes’ trial to dissect downfall of a tech star

Chain Cult - We’re Not Alone

Silk Leash - Troublesome Thoughts EP

Mister Strange - LIVE at Mabgate Bleach

LYSOL - Soup for My Family

Yee Loi, - ZWT

Bliss Fields - Peal

The Tubs - The Name

Drinking Boys and Girls Choir - There is no Spring

Porvenir Oscuro, - Asquerosa Humanidad

Bootlicker - How To Love Life EP

Frankie Rose - Seventeen Seconds

CEMENTO - Cash Grab

1000.jpeg

In this Sunday, Aug. 8, 2021 file photo, smoke from wildfire spreads over the statue of Poseidon, ancient Greek God of the sea, at Pefki village on Evia island, about 189 kilometers (118 miles) north of Athens, Greece. Greece's center-right government has created a new ministry to address the impact of climate change and named former European Union commissioner Christos Stylianides as minister. (AP Photo/Petros Karadjias, File)

Greece creates climate crisis ministry after huge wildfires

1000.jpeg

A dredger ship passes the Floating Office, right, where a high-Level dialogue on climate adaptation takes place in Rotterdam, Netherlands, Monday, Sept. 6, 2021. The dialogue, taking place just weeks before the COP26 UN climate change conference in Glasgow, will hammer out a clear call to action for governments, policy-makers and the public on what COP26 must deliver if communities are to be kept safe from the accelerating climate impacts in the coming decade. (AP Photo/Peter Dejong)

UN climate chief: No country is safe from global warming

Why are these octopuses hurling shells at each other? -- NIMBY.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

1000.jpeg

In this Aug. 31, 2021, file photo, Jack Kingsley R.N. attends to a COVID-19 patient in the Medical Intensive care unit (MICU) at St. Luke's Boise Medical Center in Boise, Idaho. The summer that was supposed to mark America’s independence from COVID-19 is instead drawing to a close with the U.S. more firmly under the tyranny of the virus, with deaths per day back up to where they were in March 2021. (AP Photo/Kyle Green, File)

COVID-19 surge in the US: The summer of hope ends in gloom

Beatings, buried videos a pattern at Louisiana State Police

The Band CAMINO - Know It All

KALEO - Way Down We Go

Lee DeWyze - Same For You

DOROTHY - Wicked Ones

Demons of Ruby Mae - Beneath The Surface

Cat Power - 3, 6, 9

DESI VALENTINE - Higher Heart

St. Paul And The Broken Bones: NPR Music Tiny Desk Concert

Bootstraps - Guiltfree

Spoon - I Ain't The One

Tropical Storm Mindy makes landfall in the Florida Panhandle and is forecast to quickly lose intensity

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Actor Michael Constantine Dies at 94

210908-michael-constantine-obit-2003-ac-

Michael Constantine, the Emmy-winning actor from the 1970s sitcom Room 222 who later portrayed the Windex-spritzing father of Nia Vardalos’ character in My Big Fat Greek Wedding, has died. He was 94.

Constantine died Aug. 31 in his home in his native Reading, Pennsylvania, his family announced. He had been ill for some time, they said.

The son of Greek immigrants, Constantine is warmly remembered for his turn as Gus Portokalos, the husband of Lainie Kazan’s Maria Portokalos, in the unlikely box office smash My Big Fat Greek Wedding and its 2016 sequel. The first installment, made for $5 million and released in 2002, grossed nearly $370 million worldwide.

“I had to audition for the part,” he recalled in a 2016 interview. “Before that, I asked to read the script, because I was very leery. I didn’t know Nia then [she also penned the screenplay], and I was anxious about someone writing some Greek thing. Was it going to be baloney or was it going to be something by somebody who really knows Greeks? So I read the script and I said, ‘Yes, this person obviously knows Greeks.'”

The know-it-all Gus was famous for thinking that Windex would cure just about any ailment. “I’m actually sick of Windex,” he said. “There must have been hundreds of bottles sent to me, and then there were all those people who asked me to autograph their Windex bottles.”

He also reprised the role for the short-lived 2003 CBS sitcom My Big Fat Greek Life.

On Wednesday, Vardalos paid tribute to the man who played her boisterous Greek father on Twitter, writing: “Michael Constantine, the dad to our cast-family, a gift to the written word, and always a friend. Acting with him came with a rush of love and fun. I will treasure this man who brought Gus to life. He gave us so much laughter and deserves a rest now. We love you Michael.”

For playing Seymour Kaufman, the jaded principal at L.A.’s fictional Walt Whitman High, on ABC’s Room 222, Constantine won the Emmy for best supporting actor in a comedy in 1970 and was nominated the following year as well.

The series, created by the soon-to-be legendary Mary Tyler Moore Show and The Simpsons co-creator James L. Brooks, was ahead of its time, featuring an integrated cast that tackled serious contemporary issues during its five-season (1969-74) run.

Constantine also portrayed Big John, a pool-playing associate of Minnesota Fats (Jackie Gleason), in Robert Rossen’s atmospheric The Hustler (1961); was among those taking a whirlwind tour of Europe in If It’s Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium (1969); and played an intelligence officer from behind the Iron Curtain in Don’t Drink the Water (1969), a film version of Woody Allen’s Broadway hit.

On the stage, Constantine served as Paul Muni’s understudy in the original 1955-57 production of Inherit the Wind on Broadway and then appeared with Patty Duke and Anne Bancroft in The Miracle Worker, playing the head of the institute for the blind.

He was born Gus Efstration on May 22, 1927, the son of an iron worker. After Reading High School and a stint as the manager of the dairy department at his local grocery store, he didn’t really know what he wanted to do for a living. A chance encounter with a friend who had left for New York to become an actress convinced him to follow her lead.

Constantine eventually studied acting with Howard Da Silva (Broadway’s Oklahoma!) and spent nearly almost two years with the Inherit the Wind company. He then played a character based on attorney Clarence Darrow opposite Dean Stockwell, Roddy McDowall and Da Silva in Compulsion, a dramatization of the Leopold and Loeb murder trial.

In The Miracle Worker, he portrayed Anagnos, the man who put Annie Sullivan (Bancroft) with the Keller family.

Constantine made his big-screen debut alongside Mickey Rooney in the Death Row-set The Last Mile (1959), directed by Howard W. Koch. He soon proved adept at TV guest-starring roles in the 1960s, appearing on The Defenders, Naked City, Dr. Kildare, The Untouchables, The Twilight Zone, Perry Mason, Ironside and The Flying Nun.

Constantine had a regular role as one of the apartment-building residents, a photographer, on the 1966-67 NBC sitcom Hey, Landlord, created by Garry Marshall and Jerry Belson, and he starred as a night court judge on the 1976-77 NBC comedy Sirota’s Court (that show also featured Fred Willard and Ted Ross).

On NBC’s Remington Steele, Constantine showed up on a few episodes as eager businessman George Edward Mulch.

His film résumé also included Beau Geste (1966), Steve McQueen’s The Reivers (1969), The North Avenue Irregulars (1979), Prancer (1989), My Life (1993) and The Juror (1996).

Constantine was married and divorced twice. Survivors include his sisters, Patricia and Chris

-- Michael Barnes

Since it's almost the weekend, how about some weekend updates?

How are you feeling, @boes and @OhioSongbird?

How's your new job going, @jewel21?

@pearlite, will your classes be remote or in-person this semester?

How is Kitty Latour settling in, @peacheslatour?

Is Mr. Stunt in preparation-mode for Hallowbirthday, @Cupid Stunt?

This is by no means a comprehensive list of questions, so please anyone and everyone feel free to add anything you like! 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
11 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

Because So. California is a Delta epicenter, Mr.Stunt decided to cancel his birthday party for a second year. The money we would've spent on the party is being donated to the PTA Free Lunch Fund. We cancelled vacation to Oahu because of Covid-19 travel restrictions, so we found a rental house on Catalina Island. 

My father and sister Bea are staying with us; My nephew returned from the Afghanistan and is stationed at Camp Pendleton. We're spending as much time with him as the Marines will allow.

• Love 6

file-20200515-138624-1r2kjce.jpg?ixlib=r

Super Nurse Street mural by FAKE

Coronavirus dashboard

What’s the worst that could happen?

Seasonal marketing creep -- Pumpkin season is upon us: Why we seem to embrace fall earlier every year

main_1200.jpg

Flames erupt from the South Tower of the World Trade Center, after it was struck by hijacked United Airlines Flight 175, in New York City, on September 11, 2001. The aircraft crashed into the tower traveling at a speed of approximately 586 miles per hour/Reuters/Sean Adair

9/11: The Day of the Attacks

Music Banned by Clear Channel Radio After 9/11:

Alien Ant Farm - Smooth Criminal

The Ad Libs - The Boy From New York City

Beastie Boys - Sabotage

Boston - Smokin

Fuel - Bad Day

The Dave Clark Five - Bits and Pieces

The Gap Band - You Dropped A Bomb On Me

Godsmack - Bad Religion

Mudvayne - Death Blooms

Frank Sinatra - New York, New York

Savage Garden - Crash and Burn

J Frank Wilson and the Cavaliers - Last Kiss

System Of A Down - Chop Suey!

I was standing in line to check in for my return flight at Dallas/Fort Worth Airport. The overhead TVs suddenly switched to video of the World Trade North Tower with a smoking hole in the side of the building. Then a plane flew into the South Tower. I grabbed my suit case and ran to the Avis car rental desk. By the time they handed me the keys to the first available car, there were a couple hundred people fighting in line to rent a car. I drove the wheels off that DeVille to get back to my family in LA.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

This is by no means a comprehensive list of questions, so please anyone and everyone feel free to add anything you like! 

All online all the time, @Snaporaz!

Colleges and most universities in southern Ontario are 90%+ online [only things like labs and editing suites have restricted live classes]--case loads are climbing again at least in TO, and the Delta thing is working its way in. Public and high schools are live, but that's probably more a matter of the provincial premier [an asshole] currying favour.

I've worked online for over 20 years intermittently so it doesn't faze me. Set-ups and monitoring are time-eaters, but I keep learning new tricks and am I ever saving on gas, parking at the university, and stuff like that!

• Love 8

How is Kitty Latour settling in, @PEACHESLATOUR?

How kind of you to ask! We have  been doing some research and turns out the Elizabeth The Horrible is at least part, if not all, Maine C*** cat. She has the ear tufts, the eye shape and the plumy tail. She also has all the personality traits, including the love of playing fetch (until your arm falls off) and WATER! She takes a shower with M. Latour every morning, she likes to lie in the kitchen sink as if it's the softest bed, she likes to play in the toilet, bringing her toys and throwing them in and then batting them around in there. She's a massive bundle of energy and love. She's so fucking cute, we can never get mad at her. Sigh. How are you? Any closer to moving out of Pennsyltuckey?

• LOL 4
  • Love 5

It's still summer in SoCal, but I saw bags of Halloween candy (Mini Snickers YUMMMM!) at Ralph's, and I was inspired to pull out some Halloween decoration boxes and change out pictures for vintage monster movie posters. The furniture is covered in tea-stained slipcovers and I'm exchanging everyday dishes for Halloween china.

Melvin is kitty Valium comfortable in the laundry room over Halloween creep on his domain.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Cupid Stunt said:

It's still summer in SoCal, but I saw bags of Halloween candy (Mini Snickers YUMMMM!) at Ralph's, and I was inspired to pull out some Halloween decoration boxes and change out pictures for vintage monster movie posters. The furniture is covered in tea-stained slipcovers and I'm exchanging everyday dishes for Halloween china.

Melvin is kitty Valium comfortable in the laundry room over Halloween creep on his domain.

I love it!

• LOL 3

My grocery store has had the Halloween candy on display since the beginning of August!  I'm sorry the party was cancelled again, but the donation is a wonderful gesture.

9 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

How kind of you to ask! We have  been doing some research and turns out the Elizabeth The Horrible is at least part, if not all, Maine C*** cat. She has the ear tufts, the eye shape and the plumy tail. She also has all the personality traits, including the love of playing fetch (until your arm falls off) and WATER! She takes a shower with M. Latour every morning, she likes to lie in the kitchen sink as if it's the softest bed, she likes to play in the toilet, bringing her toys and throwing them in and then batting them around in there. She's a massive bundle of energy and love. She's so fucking cute, we can never get mad at her. Sigh. How are you? Any closer to moving out of Pennsyltuckey?

Awww, I can picture her now!  I bet you can't even remember what life was like before she moved in.  

As for leaving Pennsyltuckey, a guy can dream, right?  However, I'll be here for the foreseeable future.  Even though (or maybe because) I'm the baby of the family, my elderly parents rely on me for almost everything now.  Even more so since Covid started.  Maybe because I just get stuff done with little complaint and I'm pretty good at anticipating potential pitfalls so things appear to happen with little effort.  One day, though, one day, I'm gonna kick the dust from this ltitle town....oh crap, am I beginning to sound like George Bailey?!?

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Snaporaz said:

My grocery store has had the Halloween candy on display since the beginning of August!  I'm sorry the party was cancelled again, but the donation is a wonderful gesture.

I haven't been in a Ralph's since the first Covid-19 outbreak; I went a little shopping therapy bonkers with dumb phone ap coupons.

Mr. Stunt is disappointed and has been redirecting more time lobbying with our Meeting House refugee support and housing.

His parents are staying on Oahu for the foreseeable Delta future, so his sister and I are planning another small costume party with family, and Trick or Treat candy bags at the front door for the local kids.

Awww, I can picture her now!  I bet you can't even remember what life was like before she moved in.  

Lizzy is keeping you on your toes.

As for leaving Pennsyltuckey, a guy can dream, right?  However, I'll be here for the foreseeable future.  Even though (or maybe because) I'm the baby of the family, my elderly parents rely on me for almost everything now.  Even more so since Covid started.  Maybe because I just get stuff done with little complaint and I'm pretty good at anticipating potential pitfalls so things appear to happen with little effort.  One day, though, one day, I'm gonna kick the dust from this ltitle town....oh crap, am I beginning to sound like George Bailey?!?

(((Snap)))

You're doing God's work.

• Love 6

GettyImages-1161233.jpg?width=2048&enabl

An hour and 17 minutes after takeoff, American Airlines Flight 77 was deliberately crashed into the western side of the Pentagon/GettyImages

US marks 20th anniversary of 9/11 -- CNN Live Coverage

?m=02&d=20210908&t=2&i=1574192972&w=780&

The second tower of the World Trade Center bursts into flames after being hit by a hijacked airplane, September 11, 2001/REUTERS/Sara K. Schwittek

sept11.jpg

Photo courtesy of The Friends of Flight 93 National Memorial

AAOjqbg.img?h=532&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

The Foo Fighters play a sold out show at the 9:30 Club on Sept. 9/© Victoria Ford/Sneakshot Photography 

Ready or not, Foo Fighters christen the return of live music in D.C.

More music banned by Clear Channel Post-9/11:

Foo Fighters - Learn To Fly

3 Doors Down - Duck And Run

Alice In Chains - Sea Of Sorrow

Judas Priest - Some Heads Are Gonna Roll

Jan and Dean - Dead Man's Curve

Paul McCartney and Wings - Live and Let Die

Buddy Holly & The Crickets - That’ll Be The Day

Dio - Holy Diver

Norman Greenbaum - Spirit In The Sky

Steve Miller Band - Jet Airliner

John Mellencamp - Crumblin' Down

Lenny Kravitz - Fly Away

Metallica - Harvester Of Sorrow

Don McLean - American Pie

1000.jpeg

Maasai men queuing to receive the AstraZeneca coronavirus vaccine look over as a woman, who is not, Maasai receives a jab at a clinic in Kimana, southern Kenya Saturday, Aug. 28, 2021. Plans for COVID-19 booster shots in some Western countries are highlighting vast disparities in access to vaccines around the world. (AP Photo/Brian Inganga)

Tracking Covid-19 vaccines in the US -- Last updated: September 11, 2021 at 6:49 a.m. ET

An average of 1,110 people died in the US from Covid-19 each day over the last week, data from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention showed on Thursday. The rate of deaths since late August is the highest it has been since early March.

Maryland judge accused of eating evidence in child porn investigation reportedly kills himself

original.jpg

The remains of a New Jersey banquet hall smoldered the day after Ida passed through. (Bryan Anselm / The New York Times / Redux)

When the Climate Crisis Becomes Unignorable

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

Lol! I can picture you being this efficient, low key rock for your parents. They are blessed. I'm kind of in the same boat except I love Seattle but even if I wanted to leave, I can't because my dad needs me. If you ever get a chance, come and see us!

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 5
On 9/9/2021 at 7:14 PM, Snaporaz said:

Snaporaz,  you are one in a million.  Thanks for asking.

I'm feeling better except when I'm not.  This week I've been tired before I get out of bed and it doesn't seem to let up much.  I don't know if it's Covid or the extreme heat or old age or having a hair line that is receding faster than the Greenland ice shelf.  Maybe it'll bet better next week.  I've got something going on with my blood pressure - way up then way down, blood is too thick, all new since the covid.  Enough of that.

You're a good son, my friend.  They're blessed to have you and I bet you feel the same.

• Love 7

longform-falling-man-ap-1536604107.jpg

"Falling Man" by Richard Drew

Richard Drew on photographing the "Falling Man" on 9/11

?m=02&d=20190909&t=2&i=1428095894&w=780&

Lesleigh Coyer, 25, of Saginaw, Michigan, lies down in front of the grave of her brother, Ryan Coyer, who served with the U.S. Army in both Iraq and Afghanistan, at Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia March 11, 2013. Ryan Coyer died of complications from an injury sustained in Afghanistan. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque

AAOm6vw.img?h=546&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

The Tribute in Light is illuminated above lower Manhattan and One World Trade Center in New York City on the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks on September 11, 2021 as seen from Jersey City, New Jersey. A 9/11 families group has said a newly released document shows Saudi Arabian involvement in the attacks/© Gary Hershorn/Getty Images 

Abimael Guzmán, leader of Peru’s Shining Path terrorist group, dies at 86

More post-9/11 banned music from Clear Channel:

311 - Down

AC/DC - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap

The Bangles - Walk Like an Egyptian

Green Day - Brain Stew/Jaded

The Hollies - He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother

Shelley Fabares - Johnny Angel

Everclear - Santa Monica

Bobby Darin - Mack The Knife

Korn - Falling Away from Me

Sam Cooke - Wonderful World

Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven

Pat Benatar - Love Is A Battlefield

Bad Company - No Smoke Without a Fire

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Tuesday's Gone

Petula Clark - A Sign of the Times

The Beatles - Ticket To Ride

1000.jpeg

In this aerial photo released by the Los Angeles County Fire Department Air Operations traffic passes the Route fire, a brush wildfire off Interstate 5 north of Castaic, Calif., on Saturday, Sept. 11, 2021. (Los Angeles County Fire Air Operations via AP)

King Tides are coming to parts of flood-prone South Florida

26 states have now fully vaccinated at least half of all residents. But a surge of unvaccinated Covid-19 patients is straining hospitals

Monitoring celebrities for the failure of the their 48 hour deodorant -- Ashton Kutcher Endures 'Take a Shower' Chants During Live ESPN Appearance in Iowa

NINTCHDBPICT000678485427.jpg

Monitoring women's clothes as a sign of value -- University apologizes to medical student who was given a 'yellow card' warning for wearing an 'inappropriate' dress during an exam

1000.jpeg

Emma Raducanu, of Britain, holds up the US Open championship trophy after defeating Leylah Fernandez, of Canada, during the women's singles final of the US Open tennis championships, Saturday, Sept. 11, 2021, in New York. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig)

Qualifier to champion: Britain’s Raducanu, 18, wins US Open

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 4
On 9/9/2021 at 10:14 PM, Snaporaz said:

Thanks for asking, Snap. There was some drama Friday after work with a receptionist quiting over the manager so I am not sure what is going on. I'll let you know tomorrow...

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

george-w-bush-9-11-ground-zero-0909211.j

Standing atop rubble with retired New York City firefighter Bob Beckwith, President George W Bush rallies firefighters and rescue workers during an impromptu speech at the site of the collapsed World Trade Center in New York City, New York, September 14, 2001. Image courtesy National Archives. (Smith Collection/Gado/Getty Images)

9/11 and the birth of the Big Lie

1000.jpeg

A firefighter places his hand on the name engravings on the south pool during ceremonies to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, Saturday, Sept. 11, 2021, at the National September 11 Memorial & Museum in New York. (AP Photo/John Minchillo)

Clear Channel Post-9/11 DO NOT PLAY list:

AC/DC - Shot Down In Flames

Alice In Chains - Rooster

Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

Los Bravos - Black is Black

The Animals - We Gotta Get Out Of This Place

Bush - Speed Kills

Crazy World of Arthur Brown - Fire

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Travellin' Band

Fontella Bass - Rescue Me

The Cult - Fire Woman

Beastie Boys - Sure Shot

Pat Benatar - Hit Me With Your Best Shot

Skeeter Davis - The End of the World

Drowning Pool - Bodies

The Happenings - See You in September

Jimi Hendrix - Hey Joe

Carole King - I Feel the Earth Move

The Doors - The End

CovidStreetArt-2020-GettyImages-12110103

On a whitewashed plaster wall, an intricately illustrated, anthropomorphic purple pathogen screams at a healthcare worker, who remains unruffled. The mural is opposite the Kuvatov Republican Clinical Hospital in Ufa Russia/Vadim Braidov

More than 658,000 people have died from coronavirus in the U.S.

1000.jpeg

This photo provided by writer Solvej Schou shows Schou's neighbors' cat, Kevin as he sits on Schou and her husband's porch on Aug. 21, 2021 in Pasadena, Calif. (Solvej Schou via AP)

As the 4th Week of R. Kelly's Trial Opens, a Witness Testifies to Being Raped, Imprisoned and Starved for Several Days

Inside Southlake: Texas suburb at center of a critical race theory battle looks forward

file-20210523-15-1hxi37i.jpg?ixlib=rb-1.

One of Colorado’s largest wildfires, 2020’s East Troublesome Fire, crossed the Continental Divide and was burning at elevations around 9,000 feet in October, when snow normally would have been falling/AP Photo/David Zalubowski

Western fires are burning higher in the mountains and at unprecedented rates as the climate warms

How's that going to fly in Des Moines? Evangelical Lutheran church installs 1st transgender bishop

1000.jpeg

Daniil Medvedev, of Russia, holds up the championship trophy after defeating Novak Djokovic, of Serbia, in the men's singles final of the US Open tennis championships, Sunday, Sept. 12, 2021, in New York. (AP Photo/John Minchillo)

‘Relief’: Djokovic’s bid for year Slam ends against Medvedev

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
On 9/9/2021 at 10:14 PM, Snaporaz said:

Hey Snap!  Ditto on 'thanks for asking'.  Still not feeling good.  Dealing with Drs and tests.  Boychild was down for the weekend and I had him pick up ribs, etc from our local place (to die for).  Just didn't feel like cooking, which for me is unusual.  Did cook the big brunch on Sunday, tho.  Other than that just sleeping a lot and taking it easy.

Every one stay healthy....please.

• Love 6
33 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

Hey Snap!  Ditto on 'thanks for asking'.  Still not feeling good.  Dealing with Drs and tests.  Boychild was down for the weekend and I had him pick up ribs, etc from our local place (to die for).  Just didn't feel like cooking, which for me is unusual.  Did cook the big brunch on Sunday, tho.  Other than that just sleeping a lot and taking it easy.

Every one stay healthy....please.

I hope you get better and better every day.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, OhioSongbird said:

One day at a time.....

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

I get so angry. All the masking, the social distancing and finally a vaccine and yet here we are.

I’d love the “Freedom” to leave my home without getting COVID-19 from a random asshat.

God bless, Ohio.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 5

no-reuse-september-11-terrorist-attack-0

View of smoke and dust rising from Ground Zero on September 11, 2001 from across the East River (Photo provided by author, Matt Valentine)

What I remember about the dust

Clear Channel Post-9/11 Do Not Play List:

AC/DC - Safe In New York City

Afro Celt Sound System featuring Peter Gabriel - When You're Falling

The Beatles - A Day in the Life

Blue Oyster Cult - Burnin' For You

Jackson Browne - Doctor My Eyes

Bob Dylan - Knockin' on Heaven's Door

Elton John - Rocket Man

John Lennon - Imagine

Blood, Sweat & Tears - And When I Die

Megadeth - Sweating Bullets

John Parr - St. Elmo's Fire (Man In Motion)

Alanis Morissette - Ironic

Elvis Presley - (You're The) Devil In Disguise

Tom Petty - Free Fallin'

Metallica - Fade to Black

Barenaked Ladies - Falling For The First Time

Neil Diamond - America

The Clash - Rock the Casbah

Nicholas now a tropical storm after making landfall in Texas as a Category 1 hurricane packing 75 mph winds

800.jpeg

In this undated photo provided by the Research Institute for Farm Animal Biology in Dummerstorf, Germany in September 2021, a calf enters an astroturf-covered pen nicknamed "MooLoo” to urinate. The scientists, mimicking the process of putting a toddler on the potty until he or she has to go, put the cows in and waited until they urinated and then gave them a reward: a super sweet liquid of mostly molasses. (Thomas Häntzschel/FBN via AP)

Moo -- No bull: Scientists potty train cows to use ‘MooLoo’

‘The virus is painfully real’: vaccine hesitant people are dying – and their loved ones want the world to listen

R. Kelly Accuser Says She Saw Him Sexually Assault Aaliyah, Too

1000.jpeg

Harris Reed, left, and Iman attend The Metropolitan Museum of Art's Costume Institute benefit gala celebrating the opening of the "In America: A Lexicon of Fashion" exhibition on Monday, Sept. 13, 2021, in New York. (Photo by Evan Agostini/Invision/AP)

Inside Met Gala, where there’s always someone more famous

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4

What a gut punch.

Norm Macdonald, the deadpan comedian, actor, writer and “Saturday Night Live” star, has died after a private battle with cancer, Variety has confirmed. He was 61.

Macdonald’s cancer diagnosis was kept secret from the public, but he battled it for nine years. “Norm was an original! He defined American humor with honesty and blunt force,” Jeff Danis, president of DPN Talent, told Variety in a statement.

Snap, without jinxing myself too much, it's going pretty good. I still make some stupid mistakes, I still ask questions, and I still expect to be fired everyday, but here I am. Let's hope it stays that way, heh. 

There's been issues with people quitting, being fired, etc, but I just keep my head down and my mouth shut. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, jewel21 said:

Snap, without jinxing myself too much, it's going pretty good. I still make some stupid mistakes, I still ask questions, and I still expect to be fired everyday, but here I am. Let's hope it stays that way, heh. 

There's been issues with people quitting, being fired, etc, but I just keep my head down and my mouth shut. 

Hey, you can admit when you fucked up, that and being eager and willing to learn. I think you will be just fine.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, jewel21 said:

Aw, don't be so hard on yourself.   It takes a little while to learn the rhythm at a new job, so I don't think anyone expects perfection right away.   Minding your own business and keeping yourself out of the office politics game (almost all workplaces have them) is a very smart strategy.  As long as you're happier and less stressed than you were at that hellhole, you're better off.  That's the most important thing. 

36 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Hey, you can admit when you fucked up, that and being eager and willing to learn. I think you will be just fine.

I second that emotion!

On 9/13/2021 at 6:20 PM, peacheslatour said:

I get so angry. All the masking, the social distancing and finally a vaccine and yet here we are.

Thank you for saying this.  I feel the same way.  Those of us who did the right thing, everything that was asked of us, have to pay the price for these ignorant, selfish assholes.  I can't even find words to express how sick I am of these people who stand in the way of all progress.

Edited by Snaporaz
  • Love 5
35 minutes ago, Snaporaz said:

Aw, don't be so hard on yourself.   It takes a little while to learn the rhythm at a new job, so I don't think anyone expects perfection right away.   Minding your own business and keeping yourself out of the office politics game (almost all workplaces have them) is a very smart strategy.  As long as you're happier and less stressed than you were at that hellhole, you're better off.  That's the most important thing. 

I second that emotion!

Thank you for saying this.  I feel the same way.  Those of us who did the right thing, everything that was asked of us, have to pay the price for these ignorant, selfish assholes.  I can't even find words to express how sick I am of these people who stand in the way of all progress.

Just think of how far along everything could have been by now. It's like we're being held back by simple selfishness.

• Love 4