Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

19 hours ago, Kimboweena said:

Go away, Ian!  Signed, Florida

IanWard.jpg

Stay safe! Here in NC I have gone through about 5 major hurricanes since the 90’s and while it is happening it is kind of awe inspiring (uncontrolled nature unleashed!!) but once it is passed though the aftermath sucks. Oddly, even in all those hurricanes and many many tropical storms we never had much damage. Then back in 2011 during that Texas outbreak storm that brought tornadoes galore and made its way towards NC and beyond, a rare (last one in our state was back in the 80’s) tornado destroyed our whole house and buildings. 
For now we are in a wait and see here for Ian. We have plans to go to the Wayne County fair Thurs but now I wonder if it will even set up if the storm gets here Fri and rain theough Sunday is the forecast. I am bummed since it is a highlight for us. 

Edited by stewedsquash
  • Sad 3
5 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

Stay safe! Here in NC I have gone through about 5 major hurricanes since the 90’s

Thanks, Stewedsquash.  We're in the panhandle (Tallahasse), and Ian is tracking to hit the Tampa area, then cross the state to the east coast.  So we'll be ok, but praying for those that will be affected.  Lived in NC three times, thanks to Marine hubby.  In 1999, we had a newborn baby at home when Floyd hit.  Said baby (now 23) is living in Miami, where Ian is bringing tropical storm conditions.

Edited by Kimboweena
Clarifying
  • Like 2
  • Hugs 2

Fran was our first and then Floyd. Oldest son started kindergarten when Fran hit and then middle son started kindergarten when Floyd hit three years later. Both of those sons say I refused to let a hurricane delay the baby boy’s kindergarten three years after that, lol. 
Hmmm Marine, that’s Camp Legune/Cherry Point? Down at Jacksonville? I am about 75 miles away from there but head to the beach some. 

Edited by stewedsquash
three years not five
  • Love 3
On 9/27/2022 at 8:45 PM, stewedsquash said:

Hmmm Marine, that’s Camp Legune/Cherry Point? Down at Jacksonville

Yep, we were at Camp Lejeune in Jacksonville three different times ( but all after the contaminated water lawsuit timeline).  Funny thing is, I grew up in Jacksonville, FL.  We have family in Wilmington, NC and went up there every year.  Never saw Jax., NC until after I was married.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I had my first epidural yesterday and my oh my am I fan!  Since the first of September I've been more or less laid up, unable to walk any distances or find any comfortable way to sit, etc., and I woke up today almost painfree and in a MUCH better mood.  Also, I do like that Versed they gave me before the shot itself.  If only it came in a 12 pack!

• Hugs 4
  • Applause 2
  • Love 3

Happy Thanksgiving to all my fellow preverts!  Each and every one of you brighten our days with your posts.  Not to mention, always make me laugh.

This is the best online experience, thanks to you all.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 6

White Christmas is one of my top three favorite movies. I loved watching it on tv every year for as long as I can remember, and possibly even longer. Somewhere along the line it was edited down for tv to make it shorter and probably to add more commercials and they edited out the Snow song on the train. I really missed that and year after year I would hope it was restored. Eventually it was but sadly over the years the movie has only been shown on cable channels that I don't have. Yeah, I have the movie on dvd, but I'm old school and I like watching things as they air on tv. Anyways, SNL recently did a skit all about the Snow song with Steve Martin and Martin Short. Imagine my excitement when I saw the opening shot of the dining car with the table complete with the menu, just like in White Christmas! Here is their delightfully weird sketch. Enjoy!

• Like 2
  • Love 3
On 11/11/2022 at 7:54 AM, boes said:

I had my first epidural yesterday and my oh my am I fan!  Since the first of September I've been more or less laid up, unable to walk any distances or find any comfortable way to sit, etc., and I woke up today almost painfree and in a MUCH better mood.  Also, I do like that Versed they gave me before the shot itself.  If only it came in a 12 pack!

I'm so sorry, my friend. I have been out of the loop. What's the trouble?

• Mind Blown 2
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 1
37 minutes ago, SweePea59 said:

peacheslatour - you're alive! Welcome back! I've missed you.

I miss you too. I just don't watch Show anymore and I didn't feel like I'd have anything to contribute. But I couldn't miss an opportunity to check in during the holidays. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Wink 1
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm so sorry, my friend. I have been out of the loop. What's the trouble?

Thanks, Peacheslatour, for asking.  I've had back trouble for the first time ever that started in August, had me hopping around on one foot with most of my conversation being "OW OW OW!"  It took forever to get to see a ortho guy and after several failed treatments he finally sent me for an MRI which indicated spinal stenosis which ended with an epidural.  Got that in the first part of November, worked like a charm for about 2 weeks and while it's still better than it was in August, it's wearing off, but not completely.  After the holidays I'll see what comes next.

• Hugs 6
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, boes said:

Thanks, Peacheslatour, for asking.  I've had back trouble for the first time ever that started in August, had me hopping around on one foot with most of my conversation being "OW OW OW!"  It took forever to get to see a ortho guy and after several failed treatments he finally sent me for an MRI which indicated spinal stenosis which ended with an epidural.  Got that in the first part of November, worked like a charm for about 2 weeks and while it's still better than it was in August, it's wearing off, but not completely.  After the holidays I'll see what comes next.

I'm so sorry to hear that. Ouch! The older I get, the more everything hurts. I neeed a hip replacement but I'm scared of the surgery. I hope they figure out a better solution for your back. How many times can you gat an epidural?

• Hugs 3
15 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm so sorry to hear that. Ouch! The older I get, the more everything hurts. I neeed a hip replacement but I'm scared of the surgery. I hope they figure out a better solution for your back. How many times can you gat an epidural?

Peacheslatour, I understand putting off surgeries, that's for sure!  I do know a good number of people, friends and family members who've had hip replacements and they've had a decent time of it.  Knee surgery, though, seems to be harder to get better from, though everyone I know has done it.  You'll know when it's time.

I'm not sure how many times I can have an epidural.  I do know that in the past, they generally didn't let you have more than three, but I think that's changed.  I was treated very well where I had mine done, but I was surprised by how many people were there for the same thing.  It was like Santa's workshop if Santa was a surgeon.  That'll probably be a Hallmark Holiday movie next.......

• Hugs 4
  • Applause 1

One thing that I think is holding a lot of people back is Covid. The hospitals seemed so overcrowded and chaotic for the last few years, people don't want to go there unless they absolutely have to.

The weather was terrible here last week and I guess the whole country is experiencing sub freezing temps, blizzards and ice storms. Brrr. Stay warm everybody!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays Preverts!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 5

Happy Birthweek, @boes!  Best wishes to you!  🎂

I hope everyone is enjoying the holidays despite the crazyass weather.  It looks like the worst of it is behind us (Knock on Dylan McAvoy).  We had wind chills of -25°F on Christmas Eve, and the forecast is 50° by NYE.  🌞🎉  

• Like 4
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

I hope @MollyB, @boes, and all of our Prevert friends in California are doing OK during these storms.  

Thanks for thinking of us, Snaporaz!  It's pretty wet but so far we're doing okay.  I hope that MollyB can say the same.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
On 1/11/2023 at 6:56 PM, Snaporaz said:

I hope @MollyB, @boes, and all of our Prevert friends in California are doing OK during these storms.  

Thanks, Snap.  Doing ok here in wine country-flooding in the rivers, but we're able to stay.  Sorry for anyone in the Santa Cruz/Monterey area, though.  This is the weirdest rain I've seen since '81.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3
  • Love 2

Here in NC I have lived through two major floods from hurricanes in the last ten years. It is weird as all get out. Our houses didn't flood thankfully but we had days and days of not being able to get anywhere because of being surrounded by different rivers, creeks, etc. I remember my husband sending me to get something we needed for our farms and it is usually a 45 min roughly 45 mile rural drive to that town. It took me 3 hours and 70 miles of detours to get there. 

eta Not to take away from you two in CA! Just empathizing with you and then I thought it came across as a me too me too! thing.🙃

Edited by stewedsquash
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 3
  • Love 2

Good evening, Preverts. 

So, I tested positive for Covid yesterday and have been lying in bed ever since feeling both miserable and extremely bored. This is not a good combination for me. 

I've even tried Netflixing as the kids do. I finished "Santa Clarita Diet." It was  hilarious and I'm sad that it's over. I've watched the first three episodes of Season 4 of "You" which is not too bad. I watched the first two episodes of "That 90s Show." Meh. But, Kitty and Red look awesome and I am here solely for those two. And, I finished "Lockwood and Co." which wasn't bad at all. 

So what has been up with everyone? Any fun or exciting things to share? Please, for the love of all that is holy, someone entertain me. 

• Hugs 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Aww, jewel...that BLOWS!  I hate when the careful people get it.  If it's any consolation, my sister and her husband had it over Christmas and got over it fairly quickly.  (And her husband is immune-compromised.)  They also are not having any lingering long-term effects so far.

Santa Clarita Diet was hilarious!  Have you seen Derry Girls?  Really funny, but if you watch you'll need the closed captioning or you won't understand a word.      

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Hi Snap, glad to hear your sister and husband ended up being okay. So far this is hitting me harder than Omicron but it's mostly manageable. Coughing, sore throat, chills, headache, stomach pains, upset stomach, fatigue, congestion, light sneezing. With Omicron I was mostly just tired, lost all sense of taste and smell, and was coughing a lot. This is much more 'flu-like.'

And no, I have not seen Derry Girls. I might have to give it a try once I'm done with my current binging. Thanks for the suggestion!

And yes, it's frustrating when the careful ones get it. I have four vaccines and wear a mask everywhere. Oh well, c'est la vie. 

• Hugs 3
  • Love 2

I hope you feel better soon, jewel.  Keep resting (and binge-watching! The only good part of being sick!).  Sending good thoughts and healing vibes your way!  💓💓💓

Edited by Snaporaz
  • Love 4

How are you feeling today jewel? 
I hope the answer is better than yesterday.

Yes, give Derry Girls a try but with closed captions on. It’s freaking hilarious! As a part Irish, grew up in Catholic schools kind of girl, I was in total stitches. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Hey Patsy, thanks for asking. 

My stomach is better and I'm coughing much less. Throat doesn't hurt. Still have chills, a headache, and fatigue but I could be worse, heh. And I haven't lost taste or smell yet this time. 

I will add Derry Girls to my list of things to binge. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

I found the archived TWOP site, but they didn't see fit to archive the soap forums. :( Here's the link anyway. In case any of you are curious.     https://web.archive.org/web/20150111144108/http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/sitemap/

As you guys may recall, when we were at TWOP I tediously kept a nicknames list that I constantly updated. And boy were there a lot of nicknames. I searched for hours last night, but I couldn't find my original file. I was able to find a pdf of a page on a thread on another defunct site where someone had added my list. But it was a smaller version. That's where I found the Heather nicknames I posted here. Anyways, as I recall, I think one of the Mackenzies was Manhands, Chelsea was Manjaw, and Sabrina (Victor's dead young fling) was Manbrina.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
Just now, SweePea59 said:

I found the archived TWOP site, but they didn't see fit to archive the soap forums. :( Here's the link anyway. In case any of you are curious.     https://web.archive.org/web/20150111144108/http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/sitemap/

As you guys may recall, when we were at TWOP I tediously kept a nicknames list that I constantly updated. And boy were there a lot of nicknames. I searched for hours last night, but I couldn't find my original file. I was able to find a pdf of a page on a thread on another defunct site where someone had added my list. But it was a smaller version. That's where I found the Heather nicknames I posted here. Anyways, as I recall, I think one of the Mackenzies was Manhands, Chelsea was Manjaw, and Sabrina (Victor's dead young fling) was Manbrina.

I think you keeping track of all the nicknames is freakin' tremendous.  The variety alone is astounding.  

"one of the MacKenzies".....all I really remember of them is that the one that was Cybil Shepherd's daughter - the last one, maybe? - made me depressed everytime she disapproved of something, which was pretty much all the time.  

Thanks, Sweepea59!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

Are you feeling any better, @jewel21🐦

Yes, thanks for asking, Snap. I'm actually going back to work tomorrow. I'm not used to waking up early so tomorrow morning should be interesting, lol. 

For the most part, I'm fine. Yesterday,  I tried doing a little 10 minute workout for the second day in a row and I guess I exerted myself because I started developing a cough again and my throat is a bit funny. I decided to forgo the mini workout today as a result. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2
  • Love 2

Well my fellow YR Preverts, as @jewel21exits the Covid quarantine room, I enter it, after managing to avoid this plague, like, well, The Plague, for three fucking years, I started coming down with cold like symptoms Friday night. I woke up Saturday morning feeling like I had the flu, tested inconclusive once, then negative twice, but since we were to fly to Amsterday Sunday for our first real holiday in FOUR AND A HALF FUCKING YEARS, I went to get a NAAT test which is more precise. Et voila, positive for fucking Covid less than 24 hours before departure. Jesus H. Roosevelt Christ on a Cracker. I'm so upset, disappointed, you name it. I got this fabulous heavy down long coat for Xmas for this trip, now? I'm using it as an extra blanket on my blow up mattress whilst being confined to my office, which might I add is messy AF and it's making me nuts because I cannot tidy up because there is no space to do so, hence my obsession with at least watching YR daily.

*okay, that was alot, I admit in re reading, but #IYKYK*

So I need a list of good Netflix shit to watch. I see upthread suggestions for Santa Clarita Diet being funny. It doesn't sound funny though, what's it about? Anything else? Help a bitch out, please....and thank you....xo

PS: Did I mention that I've spent the last 4 months learning Dutch for my trip?!? Yeah.

• Hugs 4
  • Sad 2
13 minutes ago, PatsyandEddie said:

Oh gingerella that’s so fucking disappointing! I hope you don’t feel too crappy! 

Can you get some sort of refund?

What about food or someone to help? 

Hi Patsy dear, xo

Well I so far have been fortunate in getting all my hotel money refunded except for the first night. I went through Agoda and the hotel kept one night and Agoda refunded me the other 9 nights which was a relief! I am waiting to hear back from Air France on whether they will give me two vouchers for our tickets to be used within a year. If we get those, then we can reschedule whenever we want to, the only thing is Europe is so bloody expensive that we chose to go in the dead of winter because the nice hotels are cheaper, and now we will either have to wait or pay more. It's so disappointing, most especially because we've been continuing to mask, sanitize, distance, etc. this entire time, and when we finally plan a long awaited overseas holiday, I get come down with this crud 24 hours before departure. Mr. Gingerella keeps saying that perhaps this was the cosmos' way of protecting us and that had we gone on the trip maybe something like a bad accident would have happened, or one of us might have gotten ill over there. So I'm trying to remind myself of that.

We have lovely friends who brought over dinner the first night I was quarantined, and Mr. G has been doing all the catering. I rather feel like I have my own butler except that I never actually SEE him and only speak with him through a curtain! I can't even enjoy having a butler, what a cruel life!!! (cue the fainting couch here!)

• Hugs 5
  • Love 1

Thank goodness the hotel was understanding enough to give you a refund. Air France should come through for you. None of these big airlines can afford the shitty publicity. I understand how the vouchers would be a double edged sword. Europe is never cheap but certain times of the year are definitely less costly and crowded than others. 

Hopefully all your vaccination and sanitizing will mean a shorter illness. Hubby and I are careful too but know the hammer could still drop. 
MrG sounds like a lovely nurse to have and who knows, maybe he’s right about it being safer this way. Do you summon him with a bell tinkling or do you simply shout at him? 😝

Nice neighbours too. 👍🏻
Don’t worry about the office getting tidied up. You shouldn’t exhaust yourself over such things. 
Just take care of getting well and keeping Mr G on his toes. 
xxoo

Edited by PatsyandEddie
Missing word
  • Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, PatsyandEddie said:

Hopefully all your vaccination and sanitizing will mean a shorter illness. Hubby and I are careful too but know the hammer could still drop. 
MrG sounds like a lovely nurse to have and who knows, maybe he’s right about it being safer this way. Do you summon him with a bell tinkling or do you simply shout at him? 😝

Right now I simply shout at him but I'd love a tinkling bell, great idea! Perhaps I can use this time to train him, Pavlovian response and all that! I already told him he's fucking himself up royally by making my coffee better than I normally do! I must dash, Jeeves has just set my luncheon order outside the door and I must make haste whilst the soup is hot!

ETA: Well, Jeeves excelled at getting together a festive sandwich, but sadly failed at a broth based soup option. Alas it is difficult to school a butler in training about making broth soups when one can only instruct through a curtain...

Edited by gingerella
  • LOL 6

At least your sense of humor is intact, @gingerella.  That, and Jeeves will get you through this.

And there may be something to Mr. Gingerella's theory about the universe averting some larger disaster...it still sucks, though.  Sending you ((((hugs)))).

Santa Clarita Diet is a zombie-ish comedy.  It's completely ridiculous, but Drew Barrymore and Timothy Olyphant are really funny and charming in it.  It's just good mindless fun that doesn't leave you feeling like you just wasted a chunk of your life.  I think they are half-hour episodes, and it's either two or three seasons, making it easy to binge.

Wishing you a super-quick recovery! 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

Hey @SnaporazThanks for the recrap of that show, I don't do zombie shows, not even comedic zombies, and I loathe Drew Barrymore so that's a hard pass for me.

In the negative column Jeeves effed up my luncheon soup today, but in the positive column Jeeves also hooked me up with Roku in my office so now I am living in what amounts to a human kennel, but hey, I've got internet, wifi, cable TV, Roku, and Netflix!

• LOL 3

Day Four Isolation: I am starting to wonder if dogs really do 'like' kennels, which humans always say they do (oh but dogs like to be balled up in a tiny box that is the size of their body!). I am in a room many sizes larger than myself and I would rather like to never see this room again at this point. Also, I realize that paper clutter MUST be dealt with #yougotthat !

Jeeves prepared an everything bagel with a light schmear of chive cream cheese, thoughtfully applied after the bagel cooled so the cream cheese did not slide off the bagel when lifted toward the mouth. He is training up quite well and I may just try to teach him about broths today...it's a big task but I think some brodo en pasta could be doable if I text him thorough instructions.

The exterminator has been run off this morning because it is breezy and cold and the windows are cracked for ventilation and I don't want to close them for two hours post spraying. He says the spray is biological, but I did yell at him to STOP! through a closed window, which scared him mightily. I hope he comes back...

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Day Five Isolation: Last night I managed to remotely train Jeeves to make some broth. It was a triumph! He is making more right now. Little does he know he will be doing this often for me now that I know he has the skills to serve me well. I also ventured outside yesterday late afternoon for a short two block walk, then a wander around the backyard. It is a mess back there, but I have neither the energy nor gumption to garden right now. Jeeves....I wonder...No! It's too much for him. I must relegate his newfound talents to inside the home duties, the garden will have to bide its time...

ETA: Today's pre-luncheon broth was even better than last nights! And it came with a plate of cheese, crackers, and grapes. It's happening...I have a real butler...

ETA2: Dare I even think...No! It's not possible! But what if it IS? Dare I try to remotely train him to make baked apples in pre made pastry dough? Why not...????

Edited by gingerella
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 4
2 hours ago, gingerella said:

ETA2: Dare I even think...No! It's not possible! But what if it IS? Dare I try to remotely train him to make baked apples in pre made pastry dough? Why not...????

Tread carefully, now you're reaching for the stars, Gingerella.

That way lies madness.  

• Applause 1
  • LOL 6
32 minutes ago, boes said:
3 hours ago, gingerella said:

Tread carefully, now you're reaching for the stars, Gingerella.

That way lies madness. 

@boesMadness is all I have right now, you killjoy! I can do this. HE can do this. I just need step by step directions for him.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 4

Day Five Isolation Evening: Jeeves brought me a pre-dinner snack of mixed Goldfish, caramel corn, and hot ginger tea, his plating skills are improving, note the separation between pretzel and parmesan goldfish, and the use of Tupperware:

image.png.c9d9bc6875e94547b82f24f27debf4aa.png

The, the pièce de résistance, what some thought was impossible! Behold with thine own eyes...Jeeves has produced the perfect bowl of pasta en brodo! Silky smooth pasta cooked in broth, then lovingly tossed with butter, pecorino romano, and black pepper. It was comforting, and there was the perfect amount of buttery brodo, piping hot and wonderful!

image.png.be3f0ba7fdd5f83b866911817e80d477.png

It is a Covid miracle!

Edited by gingerella
  • Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1