Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

I haven't had any since I stopped working. They appear to be stress related.

I had to listen/overhear my uncle tell my grandfather that I don't like working, and that's why I am unemployed. I'm still annoyed. 

I contacted my teacher/director of the school yesterday because they're also a placement agency. 

Today a dental clinic contacted me and I have an interview with them tomorrow. They have three locations. The one they wanted me for is too far, it would take 3 busses and one hour and twenty-four minutes to get there. 

She was looking at a second location which is an hour and four minutes away instead and that's where I have my interview tomorrow. 

I'm nervous, and scared, and dreading it. I keep thinking negative thoughts and worrying if it'll be too French/too stressful, too everything. Or what's the point of even bothering? They'll just let me go after a month for not being the right fit and I'm back where I started which seems to be the trend these days. 

Maybe I'm just not employable. 

And then my uncle is in my head all 'she doesn't like to work, pa. You know how she is,' etc. Even though I've worked the past 21 years and was only on unemployment once for 8 months. And I managed to work places for 10 years, 4 years, 3 years, etc. Yes, they were part-time, but I must have been doing something okay. 

My brother keeps saying I should go back to work for the crazy dentist. Even if I wanted to, which I don't, his wife would never take me back after I had the gall to quit on her. 

And my uncle's suggestion is for me to go work at Costco. Like doing what, exactly? Cutting meat?

• Love 5
5 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I'm nervous, and scared, and dreading it. I keep thinking negative thoughts and worrying if it'll be too French/too stressful, too everything. Or what's the point of even bothering? They'll just let me go after a month for not being the right fit and I'm back where I started which seems to be the trend these days. 

I basically feel the same way. After being treated like shit for so long I don't even have any confidence anymore or see any viable options. 

Yeah, I would work at Costco.  I've heard they don't hire all that often because they don't have much employee turnover.  I think they have a union, too, don't they?

Anyway, jewel, get your uncle out of your head.  You know who you are, and that's the only opinion that matters.  And don't be nervous or have negative thoughts about the interview.  The worst thing that can happen is they won't hire you, so nothing changes.  Try to have an open mind, be yourself, and see what happens.  You may be pleasantly surprised, or you may think that place isn't a good fit for you.  I do understand your reservations about the commute, though.  But again, either you will think the job is worth it, or you won't.  

Oh, SweePea...I understand the feeling.  Being laid off really fucks with your self-esteem.  When it happened to me, it took me a long time to realize that my layoff was more a reflection of my boss' failure than it was a reflection of me.  I hope you and jewel and all of us find a situation where we feel valued like we deserve.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

My brother applied to Costco, they never called him. I heard it's very hard to get into. 

Also, the two closest locations, which would take 11 minutes by car, would take me over an hour (and at sometimes of the day an hour and 20 minutes to get there) and there would also be a 20 minute walk involved as well depending on the time of day.

Also, I don't do well in big places. I'm the type that does better in smaller locations. And I loathe sales and cash is something I never enjoyed back when I worked retail. 

I mean, it's an option, I guess, but it would be my last option. 

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, Snaporaz said:

How did the interview go, jewel?

I go back tomorrow for two hours to get a feel of the place. 

There's some things I liked. The clinic itself seems nice (the little I saw.) 

It's mostly just 1 dentist and 1 hygienist a day which I appreciate. 

They offer healthcare/insurance. 

However, the clientele is 80% French which concerns me. It's about an hour and four minutes to get there. 

We have to clean up our own rooms, in my case that means sweeping and mopping the reception area and we have to do the same with the kitchen downstairs at the end of day. Not the end of the world, but kind of annoying. 

And once a week we have to take out all the garbage. 

Right now it's only the coordinator there doing the work of three people. There should be another receptionist but she apparently has not been showing up a lot. 

It seems it's going to consist a lot of recalls which is calling people every day who are due for their cleanings and check-ups. I've done it before but it's always the part of the job we hate the most as a receptionist. 

Today the physio place I was working at recently posted something in their WhatsApp chat. I haven't removed myself from there. It showed the old secretary I replaced holding a cake as the celebrated my co-worker's birthday. Now I'm wondering if she was just there to celebrate or if she came back and that's why I was let go? Or maybe after I was let go, they asked her to come back? She left for another job but she was at the Christmas party and didn't seem thrilled with the new position. Bah, I don't know. It's just bothering me. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Stupid poopy head Hallmark dropped the Kitten Bowl. :-(

Yeah, I was just looking for it and they have one of their dumb interchangeable movies on.  The Puppy Bowl better have the Kitty Half-Time show, is alls I gots to say.  🐱💞🐈

• Love 5

Keep the people of the Ukraine in your hearts tonight as they face the worst.

We had neighbors, growing up, who'd escaped from Hungary in 1956 when the Russian tanks rolled in and I remember sitting up all night in 1968, listening on the radio as Russian tanks rolled into Czechoslovakia, into Prague, and crushed the Prague Spring.  Now this.

Edited by boes

The show's been so bad there's not much to miss, but I do still usually look forward to junk watching at the end of a day.  

Today was the first time I have no qualms one bit about it being preempted.  I can't believe this is happening.   

• Love 6

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Taylor Hawkins, for 25 years the drummer for Foo Fighters and best friend of frontman Dave Grohl, has died during a South American tour with the rock band. He was 50.

There were few immediate details on how Hawkins died, although the band said in a statement Friday that his death was a “tragic and untimely loss.”

Foo Fighters had been scheduled to play at a festival in Bogota, Colombia, on Friday night. Hawkins’ final concert was Sunday at another festival in San Isidro, Argentina.

“His musical spirit and infectious laughter will live on with all of us forever,” said a message on the band’s official Twitter account that was also emailed to reporters. “Our hearts go out to his wife, children and family.”

The Bogota municipal government issued a statement Saturday that the city’s emergency center had received a report of a patient with “chest pain” and sent an ambulance. A private ambulance arrived as well, it said.

Health workers tried to revive him, but were unable to do so. It said the cause of death was under investigation.

Police vehicles, an ambulance and fans were gathered outside the hotel in northern Bogota where Hawkins was believed to have been staying.

Godammit so much.

I'm so devastated about the loss of Taylor. During the height of the pandemic, I found myself down a Foo Fighters rabbit hole, watching video after video of the band inviting fans on stage to perform with them. Anyone watch the Kiss Guy video? Because you should. 

The guys just seemed like so much fun and Dave and Taylor's chemistry was off the charts. 

I told myself if the guys ever came to Montreal I would go see them perform. Now, even if they do, it'll never be the same again. 

44 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

I'm so devastated about the loss of Taylor. During the height of the pandemic, I found myself down a Foo Fighters rabbit hole, watching video after video of the band inviting fans on stage to perform with them. Anyone watch the Kiss Guy video? Because you should. 

The guys just seemed like so much fun and Dave and Taylor's chemistry was off the charts. 

I told myself if the guys ever came to Montreal I would go see them perform. Now, even if they do, it'll never be the same again. 

I'm gutted too. Taylor seemed like not only Dave's friend and bandmate, he was almost like his son.

• Love 3

TCM devoted all of yesterday to Doris Day, which I found odd until some synapses started firing up and it dawned on me that it must have been her birthday, which means it was also Marlon Brando's birthday, which means it was also the birthday of our very own Preverted High Priestess, the One, the Only, the Incomparable @peacheslatour!  

Sending you lots of love and best wishes!  I hope you hadaniceday, yougotthat?

Happy belated birthday!

Birthday kitties.jpg

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

TCM devoted all of yesterday to Doris Day, which I found odd until some synapses started firing up and it dawned on me that it must have been her birthday, which means it was also Marlon Brando's birthday, which means it was also the birthday of our very own Preverted High Priestess, the One, the Only, the Incomparable @peacheslatour!  

Sending you lots of love and best wishes!  I hope you hadaniceday, yougotthat?

Happy belated birthday!

Birthday kitties.jpg

OMG!  Happy Birthday, Peacheslatour!  And thank you, Snaporaz, for reminding us.

Happy Birthday, Peacheslatour, we love you!!

https://media.giphy.com/media/MuWlUUBhjfT9R12kt4/giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Love 5

I haven’t watched this show much until lately, so I don’t know who some of the nicknames used here refer to.  Is there a glossary somewhere? 

Also, is the wardrobe department in financial trouble? The women only seem to have one sleeve on their outfits. What’s happened to all those missing sleeves—do they go wherever missing socks go to?

• LOL 6
1 hour ago, AuxArx said:

I haven’t watched this show much until lately, so I don’t know who some of the nicknames used here refer to.  Is there a glossary somewhere? 

Also, is the wardrobe department in financial trouble? The women only seem to have one sleeve on their outfits. What’s happened to all those missing sleeves—do they go wherever missing socks go to?

I shall try to help. If I forget some, I'm sure others will fill in the blanks.

Buttbiscuit, Nostrils - Billy

Rodan - Phyllis

Banana Boy - Nick

Drinkki - Nikki

Olive Oil, Mop - Victoria

Pillsbury Dough Boy, Poppin' Fresh - NuAshland

Darvon - Devon

That'a all I can think of right now.

• Love 4

I think I can add one or two...

Rodan, Syphyllis - Phyllis

Banana Boy - Nick

Drinkki - Nikki

Pillsbury Dough Boy, Poppin' Fresh, Pillsbury Asshat - NuAshland

Darvon, Dickvon - Devon

Rey Rey - Rey

Bag of Hair, Hairball - the latest version of Chance

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, SweePea59 said:

I think I can add one or two...

Rodan, Syphyllis - Phyllis

Banana Boy - Nick

Drinkki - Nikki

Pillsbury Dough Boy, Poppin' Fresh, Pillsbury Asshat - NuAshland

Darvon, Dickvon - Devon

Rey Rey - Rey

Bag of Hair, Hairball - the latest version of Chance

That's right! And Natey Nate Nate.  There are several for Victor - Grampire, TGVN, Mumbles, Prictor and The Mustache, although I don't think he has one anymore.

• Love 5

And Natey Nate Nate.  

Actually (😉), it's Nate Natey Nate Nate Nate. Most posters have been shortening it for some reason. Per the vernacular there could also be, for example, Jack Jackie Jack Jack Jack, or Nik Nikki Nik Nik Nik.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

So my mom's cat had to be put down on Tuesday. He had just turned 10. Apparently he was in heart failure. I feel bad for her boyfriend. So far this year he lost his mom, brother, and now his cat. Seriously, he and that cat were inseparable. 

How's everyone else doing these days? Is anyone else as unmotivated as I am? 

15 hours ago, jewel21 said:

So my mom's cat had to be put down on Tuesday. He had just turned 10. Apparently he was in heart failure. I feel bad for her boyfriend. So far this year he lost his mom, brother, and now his cat. Seriously, he and that cat were inseparable. 

How's everyone else doing these days? Is anyone else as unmotivated as I am? 

I'm doing okay. My son is coming up to help me with some yard work and I haven't seen him since autumn. Elizabeth has calmed down quite a bit from the ten thousand maniacs she was for the first few months (we should have called her Natalie). My dad has been moved from his memory care facility to a group home and seems to be doing well. Covid and the situation in Ukraine are very much on my mind. 

How is the job going? And how is grandpa doing?

• Love 5

Sorry about your mom's cat, jewel.  That's never easy.

I feel like I'm always running and I'm always late.  More and more keeps getting dumped on my plate and there aren't enough hours in the day to get it all done.  And, yeah, the stress caused by the news is daunting.  Ukraine is awful, and who would have guessed that there would be people in this country siding with Russia?!?  

I got my 2nd booster the other day.  But I'm one of the few still wearing a mask in public.  I've managed to avoid getting this damn virus so far, and I'm determined not to get it at all at this point.  There are lots of wingnuts in my neck of the woods, so I'm not taking any chances.     

It feels like so long since we've all been in the same room together...

Edited by Snaporaz
  • Love 1

Thanks, guys. Grandpa is impressive for his age but I worry he won't be around much longer and that thought terrifies me. He has good days and days he feels bad. But he's still cooking and making messes in the kitchen for me to clean up, lol.

Work is slowing down, hours are being cut for everyone, I don't know where it's going, but it's stressing me. 

I miss us all being in the same room, too.

• Love 4

I got my 2nd booster the other day.  But I'm one of the few still wearing a mask in public.  I've managed to avoid getting this damn virus so far, and I'm determined not to get it at all at this point.  There are lots of wingnuts in my neck of the woods, so I'm not taking any chances.     

Same. I'll probably mask up for the rest of my life. In the last three years, I haven't been sick once, not even a cold.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 3

Gilbert Gottfried, the comedian, “Aladdin” star and owner of one of the most iconic voices in Hollywood, has died after battling a long illness, his family announced Tuesday. He was 67.

“We are heartbroken to announce the passing of our beloved Gilbert Gottfried after a long illness. In addition to being the most iconic voice in comedy, Gilbert was a wonderful husband, brother, friend and father to his two young children. Although today is a sad day for all of us, please keep laughing as loud as possible in Gilbert’s honor,” his family wrote on Twitter.

A colleague that I only knew for a few short months passed away from complications due to Covid yesterday. He'd been in the hospital for over a month. Ironically enough, today would have been his birthday. I didn't know him well but he was always nice, friendly, and would speak to me in English from time to time. He would occasionally bring us bottled water and treats such as muffins. I will miss him. 

• Sad 1
On 5/25/2022 at 8:47 AM, PatsyandEddie said:

I’m sorry for your loss jewel. He sounds like a sweet person. This year has been tough already. 

Thank you, Patsy. He really was. Always friendly, never angry or in a bad mood. I miss him. I spoke to him last Thursday and the conversation upset me so much I went to the backroom and burst into tears. He sounded so weak, and he had to pause every few words to catch his breath. He was confused and it just broke my heart. 

• Hugs 1
6 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

Thank you, Patsy. He really was. Always friendly, never angry or in a bad mood. I miss him. I spoke to him last Thursday and the conversation upset me so much I went to the backroom and burst into tears. He sounded so weak, and he had to pause every few words to catch his breath. He was confused and it just broke my heart. 

Oh god Jewell, that's so sad. I'm so sorry.

• Love 6

I had an odd dream about Y&R last night. I dreamt that I turned on the tv to watch and just the logo came on and a voice over (a real announcer, not a cast member) said that this would be the last episode of Y&R. And then, they didn't air the current next episode, they pulled some episode from the vault that had Jack, Mrs. Chancellor and a quite young Lauren in it, and the rest of the cast was mostly characters that were there just for those particular story lines, and they had most of the dialog and scenes! It was a really odd choice for a last episode. So after that I went from my kitchen to going "backstage" and everyone there was just as surprised and dumbfounded by the choice of a last episode. I was talking with PB and he told me to come back tomorrow when the whole cast would be there. And I made a mental note to get and bring an autograph book with me so I could get the entire cast's autographs. And then my dream continued, with me going other places and talking to other people, with Y&R's abrupt ending being the topic of conversation. Usually my dreams are just like the junk drawer of my mind - things I've recently seen, unfinished thoughts of the last couple days, stuff like that. I can usually say, oh I dreamt that because I just blah blah blah. But this was vivid and weird. 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Love 2

I once (in my late 50s) had a weird vivid dream of being on a road trip and Doug Davidson was in the car. Everyone in the car was in their 20s (he is 2 weeks younger than me). It included people from university as well as people I knew in grade school, none ever in the same car together in real life.  Then I woke up to a fall day like in my dream, the only thing the dream and reality had in common. 

Edited by deirdra
  • Like 2
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 2