Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, JasonCC said:

So that mural on the Chancellor staircase dates to the creation of the set Y&R first season? I'm reading the book "Her Stories" (it's like a social history of soap operas) and that set is mentioned as one of the most lavish ones in Daytime at that point in time. Not related to sets, but the Katherine and her friend Joanne same-sex crush sounds like a really fascinating storyline! I doubt CBS will air anything from when Y&R was half hour, though.

Hey jasoncc, I'm reading it too! Or rather I just started. How are you finding it? Me, I enjoy her style--she's really personable for an academic. [And I say this as an academic who hates academic style] She doesn't seem heavy-handed with the research and I really liked her intro with her history of watching GH.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

George isn’t feeling well at all. He snapped a nail off at the root/skin and that’s extremely painful for a human let alone a dog who has a vein quick inside connecting to bone. I called out vet and left messages on his work and cell, and left messages at 3 additional vets in my area whose recordings said they’d be open Monday at 8am.  No one’s called me back. He’s panting right now, I think he’s in pain and stressed out. 😭 🙏 I keep petting him and apologizing. 

so irrelevant to this ^ matter which matters but work I’m starting to experience residents go crazy or get violent from their health declining and the even stronger restrictions and rules set forth. I was lucky a large maintenance supervisor helped me and helped redirect when things went off.   

Also after I did a “virtual” birthday party for one resident’s granddaughter who was turning 4 (decorated the porch and put out snacks and the family came to the porch and talked to grandma through a cracked window. They exchanged gifts (with me as the runner/intermediary) and they opened them in front of each other. The girl was so adorable, excited and proud of being 4 and her grandma and the family just radiated joy. When they were about to leave I ran out some gifts in a bag from Grandma to the big brother (6) and said she didn’t forget you the big brother also! And he lit up. And they took the balloons (we have balloons and helium tank in storage so I made a bouquet) and signs with them home for the child. That was a very touching and intimate time to experience helping. 

This is a strange time we live in. I hope G can get into a vet and that the nail isn’t going to get infected. He is my everything. And the best of everything. It’s super fucked up my clinic is closed for covid. Pets health is essential business!!!!

(((Petunia))) That made me smile. You are so sweet and lovely. 

I'm sorry about George. I'm really surprised you can't get through to your vet. Ours is pick up/drop off only buy 100% open. I know that you can use Neosporin, triple antibiotic ointment and hydrogen peroxide safely on dog wounds. Maybe that can ward off infection until you get him to your vet? Poor little pup! I'm sure he feels comforted around you.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, JasonCC said:

Does anyone remember Daniel's studio apartment? I loved it. It had a little kitchen but an urban skylight and a pair of lockers. Much cuter than Mariah's current apt/sofa bed but same principal: funky artist loft. 

I loved that space, too.  It really seemed to fit Daniel.  I would visually scour the place too, looking for things reused from Billy's trailer - another set I enjoyed.

• Love 9

Oooh what a fun thread!

I'm another fan of Sharon's cottage. I actually had a couch pretty darn close to Sharon's. I miss that couch more than should be allowed.

The Chancellor mansion, especially that wallpaper up those stairs, is the most iconic and so, so glad when it returned after the house of horrors NeverBilly turned it into.

I guess I'm the oddball who misses Original Recipe Newman Ranch. Not my style but it was a fixture. 

I miss Gina's place, too. Thanks, Kevin!

• Love 8

One of my coworkers was diagnosed with Covid 19. 

I’m the front desk receptionist/screener of all employees and essential visitors and in the kitchen half the week taking food orders for all residents and staff so I’ve definitely been around this individual. 

24 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

I’m the front desk receptionist/screener of all employees and essential visitors and in the kitchen half the week taking food orders for all residents and staff so I’ve definitely been around this individual. 

Oh Petunia, my friend. I'm so sorry. You are an angel and you deserve only the best.

• Love 10

I was a big fan of the Abbott Death Cabin … Original decoration

b4175aed0e5225213088577084f988ea.png

Redecorated Cabin set -- The Gang of Four and JT Terror

JPI_Episode11646_0001829168.jpg

JPI_Episode11647_0001829149-550x384.jpg

Abby and Arturo trysting at the Abbott Cabin

arturo-abby-cabin-hw.jpg?resize=1020,596

Jack's Off The Wagon SL

jack-the-young-and-the-restless-3-1200x8

• Love 9
8 hours ago, geauxaway said:

That lamp!  The shade has shades (ha!) of the leg lamp from Christmas Story.  It looks like a skirt!   

Two years ago, I came home from shopping one day and I had a leg lamp in my front window! Surprise, surprise! My husband had ordered it without my knowledge, knowing that “A Christmas Story” is one of my favorite movies. We live on a circle of homes and everyone just loves it as they drive by at night. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Gam2 said:

Two years ago, I came home from shopping one day and I had a leg lamp in my front window! Surprise, surprise! My husband had ordered it without my knowledge, knowing that “A Christmas Story” is one of my favorite movies. We live on a circle of homes and everyone just loves it as they drive by at night. 

That’s amazing!  My son has the nightlight version of it and loves it.  I should get him a full size one he would DIE!  🤣

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, geauxaway said:

That’s amazing!  My son has the nightlight version of it and loves it.  I should get him a full size one he would DIE!  🤣

Do that, for sure! They’re not expensive and something we all look forward to putting up every year. Let me know if you do this. You won’t regret it for the pleasure it gives to your family and neighbors.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
Just now, Gam2 said:

Do that, for sure! They’re not expensive and something we all look forward to putting up every year. Let me know if you do this. You won’t regret it for the pleasure it gives to your family and neighbors.

Hallmark has a whole line of A Christmas Story related ornaments.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

Petunia13, that's as scary as it gets these days.  Know we are all pulling for you and George, love you.

• Love 13

If it’s who I suspect it is he hasn’t been to work over a week and before that I avoided (he worked second shift) I do check-ins in the AM and am in kitchen afternoons usually. I’m symptom free but definitely am going to be more careful than I already am and I’m pretty careful. I hope no one else at work gets sick. Like those he interacted heavily with before he started calling off. The person I suspect worked closely with the residents, some who are extremely medically vulnerable (COPD people, another who has kidney failure). 

Also I got George in a vet appointment at a place for tomorrow! It’s a few towns away. Crazy almost all vets in my area are closed for time being. It’s essential business!!!! Poor cutie. I’d rip all my nails out if it meant he’d not have this one ripped out and suffering. 

• Love 13
7 hours ago, jpagan05 said:

(((Petunia))) That made me smile. You are so sweet and lovely. 

I'm sorry about George. I'm really surprised you can't get through to your vet. Ours is pick up/drop off only buy 100% open. I know that you can use Neosporin, triple antibiotic ointment and hydrogen peroxide safely on dog wounds. Maybe that can ward off infection until you get him to your vet? Poor little pup! I'm sure he feels comforted around you.

There is a kind of Neosporin that has a pain reliever in it.  Do NOT use that one.  The plain old regular Neosporin is safe for pets. 

All the best to George.  Feel better, little dude!  🐾💪

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
27 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

Crazy almost all vets in my area are closed for time being. It’s essential business!!!!

That's crazy! I live in CA with the strictest restrictions and my vet was open. I got seen nearly an hour late because the phone lines were busy and I was apparently just supposed to keep calling until someone picked up because they didn't have ppl to check the voice mail 😐 but other than that, the appointment went well.

I hope your little doggo gets better soon ❤️

• Love 11

Vets here are open but only for emergencies where the pet's life is in danger. You can also pick up meds and food but have to call 24 hrs in advance. But stuff like nail trims/wing trimming are no longer being done. I finally bit the bullet and bought some nail clippers today on Amazon and that powder that stems bleeding just in case. 

Petunia, I'm so sorry things are going so poorly for you and George. I hope everything will work out and that both you and George will be okay. 

• Love 11
(edited)

1c58183401a2b08aef99f859bd3c5983.jpeg

FDA reverses policy that let over 100 antibody tests on market without review -- The agency says it is aware that some firms are promoting faulty tests.

Fauci says calls for his dismissal are 'part of the game' -- Related: The world came together for a virtual vaccine summit. The U.S. was conspicuously absent.

CDC Projects 200,000 Deaths This Summer -- Related: Models shift to predict dramatically more U.S. deaths as states relax social distancing

The price of reopening the economy: tens of thousands of American lives -- Related: The US just reported its deadliest day for coronavirus patients as states reopen, according to WHO

Coronavirus in the U.S.: An Unrelenting Crush of Cases and Deaths

US Treasury seeks to borrow a record $3 trillion this quarter -- The money is being used in large part to subsidize economic rescue efforts in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic. Total U.S. government debt now is near $25 trillion, with the current fiscal year’s deficit running at $744 billion

Liability Shield Is Next Coronavirus Aid Battle

Paranoia about cheating is making online education terrible for everyone -- A sudden switch to online learning reveals a slew of challenges for educators.

800.jpeg

(AP Photo/Lee Jin-man)

UK becomes virus epicenter of Europe; S Korea plays baseball -- Lucky baseball fans

30 million Americans are unemployed. Here’s how to employ them. -- A chat with the economist pushing the once-radical idea of a federal job guarantee.

Americans widely oppose reopening most businesses, despite easing of restrictions in some states, Post-U. Md. poll finds -- Related: ‘Come after me’: Ohio’s GOP Gov. Mike DeWine calls out ‘obnoxious’ protesters who targeted health chief, news media

The Georgia town of Albany, a coronavirus epicenter, isn't ready to reopen. There's still too much grief, uncertainty. -- Related: California Gov. Gavin Newsom says some businesses will reopen Friday, with conditions

Park ranger was telling a crowd to social distance. Mid-speech, someone pushed him into a lake -- Related: Flint Family Dollar security guard killed after turning away customer without mask

State-by-state coronavirus news -- Click on the state to get the latest coronavirus news

ABC News -- Coronavirus updates: 15 children hospitalized in NYC with mysterious syndrome possibly linked to COVID-19

High school holds personal, front-yard graduation ceremonies for seniors

How We Got to Sesame Street -- The show was created to put kids’ screen time to good use. Half a century later, how is it holding up?

US veteran behind failed Venezuela plot says two American mercenaries detained -- You mean captured after a failed assassination attempt on foreign soil, right? --  Monday’s arrests come after Maduro’s government on Sunday said mercenaries had attempted to enter the South American country on speed boats from neighboring Colombia, saying eight people had been killed and two detained. -- Keep 'em.

Creeping Authoritarianism Has Finally Prevailed-- In Hungary, the pandemic was just an excuse.

20120730_050244_Aurora-shooting-memorial

Greg Zanis, known the nation over as 'The Cross Man,' dies at 69

75 years after WWII, search continues for missing soldiers

Supreme Court to hear 2 cases about when religious employers can ignore civil rights laws -- The stakes in the Supreme Court’s “ministerial exemption” cases are profound.

Comet Swan is now visible and could be the best in years -- The visitor from deep space is brightening quick, but it's not clear for how long.

The closure of meatpacking plants will lead to the overcrowding of animals. -- The implications are horrible. Millions of animals are being killed and dumped in landfills to make room.

The pandemic is reviving our reliance on single-use plastics

BB13Cx8q.img?h=450&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

A California Highway Patrol officer’s K9 partner Beny was able to alert the authorities to the odor of narcotics on the recovered currency after a police chase on May 1, 2020 in Merced County, California. © California Highway Patrol - Merced 

Police chase leads suspect to drop almost $1 million on highway during pursuit -- “K9 Beny usually gets all the glory in these types of incidents," police said. -- Beny's a good dog!

The buying and selling of “fuck” -- How did previously taboo profanities become de rigueur on cutesy merchandise?

Adam Neumann sues SoftBank for walking away from $3 billion WeWork share buyout

An Amazon VP’s resignation shows internal unrest is rising to the top -- Tim Bray wrote that staying an Amazon VP would have meant “signing off on actions I despised.”

Some retailers are too broke to go bankrupt

GettyImages_156720700.0.jpg

(Shin T/Getty Images) Welcome to the Summer Bug Movie Nightmare -- The Asian giant hornet, a.k.a. the Murder Hornet, has arrived. Bees beware. -- The arrival of the invasive species is yet another threat to beleaguered bees in the United States.

You Can Now Take Virtual Tours of the Ghibli Museum

Teen befriends elderly neighbor during lockdown by communicating with Post-It notes

Colson Whitehead wins the 2020 Pulitzer Prize for Nickel Boys -- Colson Whitehead just became the fourth writer ever to win two Pulitzers for fiction.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5

I watched this vid of a nurse upset over patients dying in the hospital not due to covid, but due to inept medical personnel. It's disturbing, but I'm also so distrustful of everything I have to wonder if it's real. I have heard from a nurse that at her hospital they are over aggressively using the ventilators causing some patients harm. It's all so distressing.

15 minutes ago, SweePea59 said:

I watched this vid of a nurse upset over patients dying in the hospital not due to covid, but due to inept medical personnel. It's disturbing, but I'm also so distrustful of everything I have to wonder if it's real. I have heard from a nurse that at her hospital they are over aggressively using the ventilators causing some patients harm. It's all so distressing.

At this point I don't think I'd go to a hospital even if I was dying.

• Love 4
(edited)

Hey jasoncc, I'm reading it too! Or rather I just started. How are you finding it? Me, I enjoy her style--she's really personable for an academic. [And I say this as an academic who hates academic style] She doesn't seem heavy-handed with the research and I really liked her intro with her history of watching GH.

No, she's very readable pearlite. I actually realized I need to slow down a bit reading it--I caught myself wanting to get ahead to the 70s/80s era where the soaps I know more were referenced. "Dark Shadows" is my earliest (and I did it on DVD) but I love her more thematic approach to the changes that happened. Interesting how on location shoots were virtually unheard of until the 70s.

Speaking of "Dark Shadows" anyone ever notice how that very late-60s afghan blanket in Maggie's house would show up in other sets that were set in the past?!?  A while back I spotted my first case of this on Y&R: the elevator doors at Dark Horse? Repurposed from Michael & Lauren's condo building. 

So the Abbott cabin? That must not be a full time "set" set huh? You think they just rebuild it as best they can now and then when it is featured? 

I suspect "Top of the Tower" is in that category now too.....it's pretty basic (dark walls, high rise window effects, a bar) they can recreate it easily and no one will notice the minor changes. That one was so generic I never really felt one way or another about it.

Edited by JasonCC
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5
(edited)

I'm disappointed to not be able to show you video of this - I've searched and can't seem to find it - maybe it will show up tomorrow on Inside Edition's website, even though everything else they showed tonight was already on the website.  My husband and I were watching Inside Edition, the one with Deborah Norville.  Every time they go to a commercial break, they tease what's coming up....and tonight one of the teases was video in, I think Singapore?, where a monkey grabs this little girl off an alley curb and drags her off and "kidnaps her".  The poor little girl was being dragged face down and that monkey was motoring.........we had to watch the whole show to see what happened, because, of course, after being teased throughout the whole show, it was the very last thing on the show!

Well, we had more questions after seeing it.  Inside Edition definitely buried the lead, in my opinion.  While it was pretty scary, seeing this little monkey drag this 5 year old many feet down the alley, tthis monkey came out of nowhere - and, get this - HE SHOWED UP RIDING A BIKE!  The little girl was sitting with a couple of adults on a curb, the monkey shows up pedaling this bike, scoops and drags her pretty far.  No mention of the bike at all!  And the adults that were with her?  It wasn't like they jumped up and went running after her and the monkey....oh, no!  They just nonchalantly got up and yelled at the monkey to let her go, I guess, which he did do.

So weird and so surreal...like everything else feels these days!

Edited by lovemesomejoolery
  • Love 1

George’s appointment went really fast and efficiently and well! He’s resting and doing good! His nail was split real bad and dangling at the bases but  they were able to save a teeny nub and it didn’t permanently damage his quick. And they trimmed all the rest. They said he was real good too! 

I was off work but had to come in mid afternoon to closing to cover for someone out sick. A big cleaning crew wearing haz mat gear came in to sanitize literally everything. They were super pros and nice. I asked one if that’s just their job going to all the various work sites with covid and she said yes. I asked if they did crime scenes too she said “good question!” and said they also do places that had fires. The residents know about the covid but amazingly enough a few are still breaking myriad rules like not wearing masks, not washing hands, invading my or others personal space or touching me, coughing without covering mouths, or putting snotty tissues or used glasses/half eaten food on common surfaces. One of leadership was like “well even doing this it’s unlikely they’ll get you sick.” I said that’s not the point. Like someone came into the community sick and could given one of them illness they could spread. Even if they are asymptotic.  

I spoke to a woman who works at my local grocery store I shop at. I knew they had covid (I was told 6 employees by someone who works in healthcare) and asked her how my favorite employee was since she hadn’t been at work a long time (I actually bought her Christmas presents cat toys for her kitte and scratch off lottery tickets, she’s so nice. She has Down Syndrome and is the fastest checker and the most knowledgeable cashier). I was told she didn’t get covid but a large portion of the team from front end and management did (almost half) and are recovering, many I’ve seen back at work. I was surprised so many got it and pleased to hear all recovered. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Petunia13 said:

George’s appointment went really fast and efficiently and well! He’s resting and doing good! His nail was split real bad and dangling at the bases but  they were able to save a teeny nub and it didn’t permanently damage his quick. And they trimmed all the rest. They said he was real good too! 

I was off work but had to come in mid afternoon to closing to cover for someone out sick. A big cleaning crew wearing haz mat gear came in to sanitize literally everything. They were super pros and nice. I asked one if that’s just their job going to all the various work sites with covid and she said yes. I asked if they did crime scenes too she said “good question!” and said they also do places that had fires. The residents know about the covid but amazingly enough a few are still breaking myriad rules like not wearing masks, not washing hands, invading my or others personal space or touching me, coughing without covering mouths, or putting snotty tissues or used glasses/half eaten food on common surfaces. One of leadership was like “well even doing this it’s unlikely they’ll get you sick.” I said that’s not the point. Like someone came into the community sick and could given one of them illness they could spread. Even if they are asymptotic.  

I spoke to a woman who works at my local grocery store I shop at. I knew they had covid (I was told 6 employees by someone who works in healthcare) and asked her how my favorite employee was since she hadn’t been at work a long time (I actually bought her Christmas presents cat toys for her kitte and scratch off lottery tickets, she’s so nice. She has Down Syndrome and is the fastest checker and the most knowledgeable cashier). I was told she didn’t get covid but a large portion of the team from front end and management did (almost half) and are recovering, many I’ve seen back at work. I was surprised so many got it and pleased to hear all recovered. 

So glad to hear George is doing well and that it wasn't so bad for him or you!

• Love 11

Another night when I can't get to sleep...so I searched for video of that monkey trying to kidnap the young girl.  Found it!  Turns out it was in Indonesia...and the monkey wasn't on a bike but a motorized scooter.  The little girl appeared to not be hurt!  I didn't post the video here because I didn't want to upset anyone.  Just a picture of the monkey when he gets off the scooter to try and snatch the poor little girl.

The TMZ article gave some context after speaking to the person who shot the video.  Owning monkey is illegal in Indonesia, but people still keep them as pets and use them for entertainment since there seems to be little consequence if you're found to own one.  It sounded like this person who shot the video wants to use it as a wake up call for government officials to say that these monkeys aren't as innocent as they seem.

The whole thing is just so surreal to me.  Giant Killer Hornets, kidnapping monkeys, raging pandemic....what could possibly be next?

399 2.jpg

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

CORONAVIRUS-PICS-STATUE-OF-LIBERTY-by-Jo

NYC Ms. Liberty says, “Disinfect!” (Photo: Jon Tyson)

State-backed hackers targeting coronavirus responders, U.S. and UK warn

U.S. expected to deport Iranian professor acquitted of sanctions busting: officials

Coronavirus quickly spread around the world starting late last year, new genetic analysis shows

As lockdowns ease, some countries report new infection peaks

US infection rate rising outside New York as states open up

What is Kawasaki disease? The rare child syndrome might have link to Covid-19

800.jpeg

Holyoke Soldiers' Home, Holyoke, Massachusetts 

US senators seek probe of veterans homes after virus deaths -- Related: Faced with 20,000 dead, care homes seek shield from lawsuits

Morocco launches fleet of drones to tackle virus from the sky

The world’s best battle plans to overcome the economic crisis

States cut Medicaid as millions of jobless workers look to safety net -- Three states have cut back state spending on the program since the pandemic hit, and more are warning of painful cuts to benefits and services.

We won't know the impact of states reopening for weeks. Here are several reasons why

US is unprepared to protect residents from virus while states are reopening, former acting CDC director says

Professor researching Covid-19 was killed in an apparent murder-suicide, officials say

The end of the open plan office? Workspaces get post-pandemic makeovers

20200418msmnc-checkpoint2516-pol.JPG

The Mountain County That Went into Coronavirus Lockdown -- When rural America confronts the pandemic, it faces a different set of challenges.

Corporate America is in crisis -- Related: How the pandemic made companies rethink saving the world -- As if.

Exclusive: U.S. airlines burn through $10 billion a month as traffic plummets

US companies cut thousands of workers while continuing to reward shareholders during pandemic

Wells Fargo faces government investigations into its PPP loans

In shielding hospitals from COVID-19, Britain left many of the weakest exposed

?m=02&d=20200505&t=2&i=1517558937&w=1200

Reuters Pulitzer team captures Hong Kong's decent into chaos

Students file lawsuits against at least 26 colleges demanding refunds

11 attorneys general seek probe into meatpacking industry -- Someone finally read Upton Sinclair's The Jungle?

Coronavirus cuts ‘deep scars’ through meatpacking cities

California Appeals Court overturns Quincy Jones’ win in Michael Jackson lawsuit

Why US businesses are opining on a Supreme Court case about contraception

95438713-3370164446350248-80587647981138

A man wore what appeared to be a KKK white hood on a trip to the grocery store

Owner, armed men held after bar reopens despite Texas’ order

Facebook removes accounts linked to QAnon conspiracy theory

Texas eases underground oil storage rules, raising concerns

Rapid City-area families evacuate after sinkhole opens mine

Beyond Meat plans U.S. discounts, hopes to replace beef on summer grills

Foodie Culture as We Know It Is Over -- A wave of culinary experts is responding to the pandemic with an accessible and empathetic approach to home cooking—and audiences can’t get enough.

The Myth of ‘Easy’ Cooking -- An entire industry has been built on the premise that creating gourmet meals at home is simple and effortless. But it isn’t true.

giphy.gif

French farmers sound alarm in cheese market meltdown amid pandemic -- 5,000 tons of Roquefort, Camembert and Brie could go to waste. -- <tears>

Pint-sized driver surprises Utah trooper during traffic stop

Judge rules Tennessee’s voucher law is unconstitutional

Oklahoma Supreme Court says absentee ballots don’t need to be notarized

Federal District Court upholds California ban on church services in pandemic

Saints emails, lawsuits could be buried in church bankruptcy

2000.jpeg

Associated Press wins feature photography Pulitzer for Kashmir coverage

‘Riveting’ coverage of Alaska policing wins Pulitzer Prize

Cady Groves, singer-songwriter, dies at 30 -- The "This Little Girl" singer, whom her brother said died of "natural causes," is the third member of her family to die at age 30 or younger.

May the memory of you be a blessing to others.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

The whole thing is just so surreal to me.  Giant Killer Hornets, kidnapping monkeys, raging pandemic....what could possibly be next?

Wasn't there also a massive swarm of locusts in Africa a few weeks ago?  I'm not very religious in any conventional sense, but it does seem like the Book of Revelations is playing out in front of us in real time.

When the face mask orders first started being issued, I joked to my sister that the wingnuts who were complaining about it just needed to wear their Klan hoods to the store.  And...here we go...

I also wondered whether Beyond Meat was going to lower their prices.  My bf got Beyond Burgers for my birthday last year.  I haven't had beef in about 20 years, but I would have sworn that it was beef.  At least, it was what I vaguely remembered beef smelling and tasting like.  When I saw it at the store, it costs about 3X the price of actual beef!  It reminded me of that movie Working Girl, when Melanie Griffith tried on Sigourney Weaver's dress, and Joan Cusack looked at the $6000 price tag and shouted, "But it isn't even leather!"

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Snaporaz said:

Wasn't there also a massive swarm of locusts in Africa a few weeks ago?  I'm not very religious in any conventional sense, but it does seem like the Book of Revelations is playing out in front of us in real time.

When the face mask orders first started being issued, I joked to my sister that the wingnuts who were complaining about it just needed to wear their Klan hoods to the store.  And...here we go...

I also wondered whether Beyond Meat was going to lower their prices.  My bf got Beyond Burgers for my birthday last year.  I haven't had beef in about 20 years, but I would have sworn that it was beef.  At least, it was what I vaguely remembered beef smelling and tasting like.  When I saw it at the store, it costs about 3X the price of actual beef!  It reminded me of that movie Working Girl, when Melanie Griffith tried on Sigourney Weaver's dress, and Joan Cusack looked at the $6000 price tag and shouted, "But it isn't even leather!"

Snap, locusts? As long as huge white horses don't show up...

Beyond Meat's really pricey here, too. There are getting to be a couple of competitors, so maybe that'll affect prices.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
On 4/26/2020 at 3:49 PM, peacheslatour said:

Just so long as they don't lose the dragon fly chair and the Tiffany lamp. If they really want to get rid of them, they can pass them my way.

You can have the chair but I call first dibs on the lamp! 🙂

• LOL 6
3 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

I saw a report on the national news this morning about meat prices starting to go up due to the processing plants having to slow or shut down because of the pandemic.  It was mentioned that plant based products, like Beyond Meat, may gain in popularity as this shortage drags on and that the price of beef may be more in line with the price of Beyond Meat - someone even said they wouldn't be surprised if the price of beef surpassed the price of Beyond Meat. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, pearlite said:

Snap, locusts? As long as huge white horses don't show up...

Beyond Meat's really pricey here, too. There are getting to be a couple of competitors, so maybe that'll affect prices.

I could swear there was a story recently about locusts in Africa, and a whole lot of them.  Maybe that was a dream?  I have been having vivid dreams lately, with plots that make more sense than those on Y&R.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, Snaporaz said:

I could swear there was a story recently about locusts in Africa, and a whole lot of them.  Maybe that was a dream?  I have been having vivid dreams lately, with plots that make more sense than those on Y&R.

I got ya, fam. Posted three hours ago on the Weather Channel:

A locust swarm of biblical proportions is expected to invade Kenya via Ethiopia, for the second time this year.

Governments and the U.N. have warned that the locust will cause major food shortage in the region.

The East African Community secretariat will set aside emergency funds to turn tides against floods and locusts.

• Useful 3
1 hour ago, Snaporaz said:

Me, too!  Someone else here said they were having strange dreams, too - @Cupid Stunt, I think?  An occasional vivid, crazy dream doesn't bother me....but I'm having them almost every single night~

• Love 8

News New Wave of Locust, Severe Floods Threaten East Africa’s Food Supply

4 hours ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

Me, too!  Someone else here said they were having strange dreams, too - @Cupid Stunt, I think?  An occasional vivid, crazy dream doesn't bother me....but I'm having them almost every single night~

My dreams are nightly, too. They're haunting, as if I had been rolling in the dream all night. Mornings are a relief, and then I pick up a news paper … And it's another day.

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

News New Wave of Locust, Severe Floods Threaten East Africa’s Food Supply

My dreams are nightly, too. They're haunting, as if I had been rolling in the dream all night. Mornings are a relief, and then I pick up a news paper … And it's another day.

I know what you mean.  I was talking with my closest friend today, explaining it to her in very similar terms as you have here.......being awake and reading the news is as much a nightmare as being asleep and having the crazy dreams.   For whatever reason, this week has been the worst, almost as if it were the first week back in March when this disaster began.

I just keep my sights on November............

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
9 hours ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

I know what you mean.  I was talking with my closest friend today, explaining it to her in very similar terms as you have here.......being awake and reading the news is as much a nightmare as being asleep and having the crazy dreams.   For whatever reason, this week has been the worst, almost as if it were the first week back in March when this disaster began.

I just keep my sights on November............

Yes Ma'am! I had a dream with Godzilla vs Murder Hornet, and 'Zilla was getting his butt kicked.

For good or carbohydrates, I love Thanksgiving.

; )

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 5
17 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

I just dream way more than I'd like to. Some weird, some stress-replays, and some visits to the past. In general, I don't like this.

• Love 4

CORONAVIRUS-PARAMOUNT-INTERMISSION-by-Ni

Photo by Nick Bolton

AP Exclusive: US shelves detailed guide to reopening country

2 funeral directors on how the pandemic has upended the business of death -- Covid-19 is New York’s largest mass casualty event in more than 100 years. But there are no bodies in the street.

Flattening the curve isn’t good enough -- The case for an actual coronavirus suppression strategy.

‘We’re disease vectors’: Senators press for rapid coronavirus testing for lawmakers -- What are we, cannon fodder?

The United Kingdom’s contact tracing app could be a preview of America’s digital tracing future -- Despite warning of “unintended consequences,” the UK is forging ahead with its new app. -- It's already being done, you're not aware of it.

1 million Americans live in RVs. Here’s how we’re coping with the pandemic. -- Our nomadic lives have shuddered to a halt.

OIP.h02y3by8gipbGvCuZ8JIoAHaE7?pid=Api&w

How large “superspreader” events turned into coronavirus hot spots -- This is why large gatherings should be the last normal activity to come back after Covid-19 is contained.

Online Retailers Spend Millions on Ads Backing Postal Service Bailout

Bill Gates’s efforts to fight coronavirus, explained -- The Gates Foundation has emerged as a leader in the coronavirus response.

Remdesivir helps coronavirus patients, but at what cost? -- Drugmaker Gilead is known for creating breakthrough drugs and selling them at a premium. -- We'll take transferable tax-free status 4Evah! -- Related: Will Gilead price its coronavirus drug for public good or company profit? -- What do you think?

Coronavirus 'parties' in a Washington county linked to rise in cases, officials say -- “It’s after the fact that we hear," a health official in Walla Walla County said. "We ask about contacts, and there are 25 people because: ‘We were at a COVID party.’”

A teacher is caring for her student's newborn brother because his mom is recovering from Covid-19

BB13J7Y3.img?h=450&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

Research showed that by March 1, when the first coronavirus case was confirmed in New York, the city probably had over 10,000 undetected infections. © Bryan R. Smith for The New York Times 

Travel From New York City Seeded Wave of U.S. Outbreaks

Researchers hypothesize that a highly contagious strain of the coronavirus is spreading, but other experts remain skeptical

1 in 5 American workers has filed for unemployment benefits since mid-March -- Related: Millions of Americans are losing their jobs. It doesn’t have to be that way. -- The US could have saved millions of jobs. Here’s how.

The near-certainty of a black depression -- Recessions are always racist. This one could be catastrophic.

Coronavirus Has Changed Everything for Police Across the Country

The Supreme Court weighs whether to make the Electoral College even less democratic -- The Court’s “faithless electors” case could turn a few unknown individuals into the most powerful people in the nation. -- Related: A Supreme Court showdown over birth control got much messier Wednesday -- The Court’s sympathy for religious conservatives is in tension with its desire to shrink the administrative state.

The debate over what “believe women” means, explained -- America still doesn’t know what to do with allegations of sexual assault.

The magic word for Detroit automakers is trucks

The economy is in free fall. So why isn’t the stock market? -- Everything is bad, and yet somehow the stock market is good.

Rotting food. Hungry masses. Chaotic supply chains. Coronavirus upends the US food system  -- Related: Food Banks Can’t Go On Like -- Demand is spiking. And meeting it is costlier than ever. Without more changes to federal and state food assistance, the status quo is unsustainable. -- What is the Health and Human Services and Agriculture Department doing?

Cattle-WideShot.jpg

North America bulges with cattle as virus closes packers, leaving retailers hungry for beef -- Moo? -- Related: Demand for meatless meat is skyrocketing during the pandemic -- The Impossible Burger just hit 1,700 more grocery stores nationwide. Contactless delivery and curbside pickup are available.

Pope backs migrant farm workers as Italy mulls legalization -- Related: Vatican urges internal migrants get same rights as refugees

As Pandemic, Oil Hammers Texas, Rest of the U.S. Waits for the Spillover -- Development and real estate are casualties of the oil plunge. ‘I don’t see an end to this,’ a billionaire oilman warns -- Related: Black swan theory

The essential worker trap -- It’s hard to get unemployment benefits if you’ve been deemed “essential.”

Why the Covid-19 economy is particularly devastating to millennials, in 14 charts -- Millennials still recovering from the Great Recession now face a downturn that’s being compared to the Great Depression.

Nearly Half of Men Say They Do Most of the Home Schooling. 3 Percent of Women Agree. -- And Goddess Kali laughs.

r-2evmmmeevkb.jpg

In Latin America, face masks become a form of expression

Gov. Abbott, Texas attorney general champion salon owner jailed over COVID-19 restrictions

California pays $3.30 per coronavirus mask under quiet deal with Chinese company

Why are Russian coronavirus doctors mysteriously falling out of windows? -- The three main theories, explained.

Detained American claims he plotted Maduro's capture in Venezuela TV statement -- Take your meds!

Special Report: U.S. rearms to nullify China's missile supremacy

?m=02&d=20200507&t=2&i=1517739300&w=780&

Buddhist monks broadcast through Facebook Live during Vesak Day, an annual celebration of Buddha's birth, enlightenment and death at a temple in Bangkok, Thailand, May 6, 2020. REUTERS/Athit Perawongmetha

Reuters Pictures - Wed May 6, 2020 - Life in the age of coronavirus

On the Same Day Sen. Richard Burr Dumped Stock, So Did His Brother-in-Law. Then the Market Crashed. -- The brother-in-law, a Trump appointee, sold between $97,000 and $280,000 worth of stock. Burr is under federal investigation over whether he traded on non-public information gathered through his work in the Senate. -- Insider-trading rules still apply with appointees. 

Facebook names first members of oversight board that can overrule Zuckerberg -- And Goddess Kali laughs.

Billionaire divorce uncovers secretive world of trusts in South Dakota -- In a lawsuit, Marie Bosarge claims that her estranged husband, Texas billionaire Ed Bosarge, created trusts “to hide income and property and to hold what would otherwise have been personal income and assets.” More than just another billionaire divorce spat, the case offers a rare window into the highly secretive world of asset trusts in South Dakota. South Dakota is fast becoming a mini-Switzerland for the world’s rich trying to shield their assets.

Sinclair agrees to pay record-setting $48 million FCC civil penalty -- Ouch!

As central banks break the junk debt barrier, investors will follow -- Ouch³!

US women’s team players have options after setback in court

Yoga alone, together -- The rise of at-home fitness made Yoga With Adriene a YouTube sensation. Then the pandemic hit.

Tribeca Enterprises Sets Drive-in Theater Series for This Summer

CapitalBelovedChrysalis-size_restricted.

Nicolas Cage to star as Joe Exotic in limited TV series

Algerian singer Idir, a Berber icon, has died in Paris

• Love 5

Thing1 and I delivered student meals to everyone but five children. Their families have members in the hospital and/or are quarantined at home with The Corona. The Health Department are tending to their care and food deliveries. Driving home there were some homeless people sitting by a closed store and we gave them the student meals. 

Because legal migrant workers are restricted from crossing the border to the US, my parents were concerned they wouldn't have enough hires to work the ranch and truck farm this season. Unfortunately, local businesses and tourism closings left hundreds of people looking for work. Mom said it must be the end of the world, because it's been the first time in decades there have been white people doing farm work in Southern California. She and the farm manager have to teach some of them how to assemble and tend the shade houses, plant and weed. The ranch workers are more experienced. Those that don't return, because it's physical labor, are replaced.

The one of of the Stunt-in-law quarantined neighbors died in the hospital from The Corona. They have 3 more days under quarantine. They're a little stircrazy. 

BIL Paul is still staying with us. 

I'm trading ripe avocados for fruit and vegetables with my corner vendor. 

A movie Mr.Stunt's company was editing had been shelved in February, has been put back into production. Good news.

• Love 11

I turned on the TV late this afternoon.....and there was Dr. Oz, someone I don't watch, who had a sleep specialist doctor on talking about how people all over have reported that they are experiencing vivid dreams.  He asked her to explain what that meant, why people are having them....I hit the record button and will watch tomorrow to see what she said, although I'm fairly certain I know the answer.  Will report back tomorrow!

• Love 4

So I got into a big fight with my dick of an uncle and ended up crying to my mom. 

My cousin has been buying some fruit, veggies, groceries for my grandfather, and although she does disinfect it, she has come into the house without a mask and sat across the table from him for like 15-20 minutes on more than one occasion after shopping. Last night gramps wasn't feeling well, dizzy and cold but thought he had a fever. He had me wrap him like a burrito in the living room chair and later went into the kitchen were he stayed until at least 3 AM since that was the last time I got up to go to the washroom and he was still awake. When I woke up this morning, he was thankfully feeling better. 

Today I wasn't feeling well, throat a bit off, cold, bad tummy, etc. So I sent my uncle a text asking if my cousin could wear a mask when she comes into the house because she sits close to him and breathes on my grandfather and who knows what kind of germs she's bringing into the house. She goes to pharmacy and multiple stores. 

He blows a gasket. What do you mean breathing on him? She's bringing food and disinfecting it. She's just sitting with him a few minutes. Maybe you should go out and get him stuff then. Masks are only good for the wearer and if you have covid. Inform yourself. 

I pasted part of a text from the Government of Canada where it clearly states that masks are to protect the people around you. And that he should inform himself. 

I also said they could do what they want, but if gramps gets sick, it's not on me. 

He then brought up the fact that my brother is coming tomorrow to help my grandfather. And how he wouldn't have to if I cleaned the driveway and raked the leaves. How I do nothing for my grandfather. 

It's true I don't do yard work, but I've been cleaning the house now that I am not working. Normally gramps has a lady who helps him out with the house, runs errands for him, and even helps him bathe.

I told my uncle I do dishes multiple times a day, help with some cooking, laundry, have been cleaning, etc. And I went on to tell him at the end of the day, he's the one getting this house, not me. In fact. as soon as gramps dies I know my uncle will kick me out. I'll be lucky if I get a week to vacate. 

,And this is coming from the man who lives a five minute drive from his father but can't be bothered to ever shovel his snow or mow his lawn. And he has the nerve to say I do nothing. Last year when my grandfather asked if my uncle could come over to shovel after a snowstorm, he told my grandfather to hire someone.

He comes over for Sunday lunches where my grandfather has to cook for him and just sits there, never lifting a finger, never washing a plate or setting a table, and just texts people on his phone. 

Anyway, he responded by telling me I'm a saint! 

So I finally broke and said you know what, you were a pretty good uncle when I was a kid, but you just turned into a horrible person. And that my grandmother (his beloved mother) would be so disappointed in how he turned out and how he's treating both me (who she loved, I was her 'Queen') and his  own daughter. Especially because she loved us both. 

Then I ended up calling my mom and telling her what happened. 

He sent one last text but I haven't bothered to read it. I'm so done with the conversation. All his because I asked him to tell my cousin to wear a mask? To protect his father? 

That unseen text is bothering me though, but I know no good will come of reading it. 

I fucking hate family. 

3 hours ago, jewel21 said:

So I got into a big fight with my dick of an uncle and ended up crying to my mom. 

My cousin has been buying some fruit, veggies, groceries for my grandfather, and although she does disinfect it, she has come into the house without a mask and sat across the table from him for like 15-20 minutes on more than one occasion after shopping. Last night gramps wasn't feeling well, dizzy and cold but thought he had a fever. He had me wrap him like a burrito in the living room chair and later went into the kitchen were he stayed until at least 3 AM since that was the last time I got up to go to the washroom and he was still awake. When I woke up this morning, he was thankfully feeling better. 

Today I wasn't feeling well, throat a bit off, cold, bad tummy, etc. So I sent my uncle a text asking if my cousin could wear a mask when she comes into the house because she sits close to him and breathes on my grandfather and who knows what kind of germs she's bringing into the house. She goes to pharmacy and multiple stores. 

He blows a gasket. What do you mean breathing on him? She's bringing food and disinfecting it. She's just sitting with him a few minutes. Maybe you should go out and get him stuff then. Masks are only good for the wearer and if you have covid. Inform yourself. 

I pasted part of a text from the Government of Canada where it clearly states that masks are to protect the people around you. And that he should inform himself. 

I also said they could do what they want, but if gramps gets sick, it's not on me. 

He then brought up the fact that my brother is coming tomorrow to help my grandfather. And how he wouldn't have to if I cleaned the driveway and raked the leaves. How I do nothing for my grandfather. 

It's true I don't do yard work, but I've been cleaning the house now that I am not working. Normally gramps has a lady who helps him out with the house, runs errands for him, and even helps him bathe.

I told my uncle I do dishes multiple times a day, help with some cooking, laundry, have been cleaning, etc. And I went on to tell him at the end of the day, he's the one getting this house, not me. In fact. as soon as gramps dies I know my uncle will kick me out. I'll be lucky if I get a week to vacate. 

,And this is coming from the man who lives a five minute drive from his father but can't be bothered to ever shovel his snow or mow his lawn. And he has the nerve to say I do nothing. Last year when my grandfather asked if my uncle could come over to shovel after a snowstorm, he told my grandfather to hire someone.

He comes over for Sunday lunches where my grandfather has to cook for him and just sits there, never lifting a finger, never washing a plate or setting a table, and just texts people on his phone. 

Anyway, he responded by telling me I'm a saint! 

So I finally broke and said you know what, you were a pretty good uncle when I was a kid, but you just turned into a horrible person. And that my grandmother (his beloved mother) would be so disappointed in how he turned out and how he's treating both me (who she loved, I was her 'Queen') and his  own daughter. Especially because she loved us both. 

Then I ended up calling my mom and telling her what happened. 

He sent one last text but I haven't bothered to read it. I'm so done with the conversation. All his because I asked him to tell my cousin to wear a mask? To protect his father? 

That unseen text is bothering me though, but I know no good will come of reading it. 

I fucking hate family. 

Jewel21, you already know this, but just let me chime in to say your uncle is a douchecanoe of the first order, and Bravo to you for standing up for yourself and your grandfather.

• Love 11