Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

On 4/24/2020 at 3:07 PM, jewel21 said:

I've been pondering that for a few days now. It's definitely a two man job as someone would have to hold him in a towel while I grab his feet and file away. He'll put up a struggle for sure. My only option is asking my grandfather to help, but his reflexes are slow and Steve is squirmy. I don't want him wiggling away and flying around the house and possibly hurting himself. But, we might have no choice but to try. As his talons get longer, he gets hooked onto the bars of his cage and has hurt himself in the past. 

This might be weird, and other than raising a wounded bluejay I don't know about birds, but could you put a brick or something like that in his cage that if he walked or scratched on it would wear down his nails? I know concrete sidewalks wear down cat and dog nails some. (It's okay if you want to laugh.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

I miss the GCAC. That place is still needed. Case in point, Nate and Amanda go on their first date to the restaurant owned by Nate's last girlfriend, Abby. Bitch, please. That was tacky and wouldn't have happened if the GCAC was still around. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

I won't bore everyone with my well known love for Sharon's cottage. I also really like The Abbott manse but those glass front doors make me nervous. Especially all the times there have been crazy murder rats like Patty Cakes on the loose.

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
5 hours ago, JasonCC said:

Apologies for not coming up with something super clever--this is my first time starting a new topic. I've noticed over the years a lot of us like to analyze and/or mock the set pieces on the show. Now seems like a good time for a few reasons. The vintage episodes will provide some good contrast, and since the show has decided to become Boutique Hotel Wars on HGTV they are asking for some critiques (sorry Abby and Phyllis). 

To start: is GCAC officially no more? Even though Dina didn't torch it?

Anyone remember Glo-Worm? (was there a hyphen?) I wasn't watching much but was it a bar/restaurant like Society? Or did Nick buy it and just name it the Underground? There was also another dive bar set back in the day Mackenzie split her time between bartending and working at a homeless shelter. Anyone else remember that? I have a weird (fake?) memory of Nick making out with Christine there once. (I know...I know...anyone else remember this?)

It is April now but I noticed Nikki and Victor's fireplace was burning away during the recent Adam/Alyssa/Kansas plots. Possible Unpopular Opinion, but I don't mind that house really (thought the original Newman Ranch set had passed its prime and looked dated and tacky). I've noticed recently they've given it more height...rafters and skylights.....

I loved GloWorm - not sure about the hyphen.  It burnt down and I think it was suspected that Jeffrey burnt it down for the insurance money.  I really liked that place, light and open compared to the GCAC.  I like the GCAC set a lot and I hope it gets a return.  The only thing I ever found odd about that set where those glass shelves with all the vases and bottles on them, looked sorta fragile.  But the GCAC, that place had style!

I don't remember Nick making out with Christine, but I wouldn't be surprised.  He'd make out with himself if only he was more limber.  I liked that dive bar.  Is that the same one that Billy Miller's Billy Abbott ended up owning at one time?

Edited by boes
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8

I loved GloWorm - not sure about the hypen.  It burnt down and I think it was suspected that Jeffrey burnt it down for the insurance money.  

Wasn't MM's Adam also suspected? I think it was because he was trying to throw suspicion off of Sharon for burning down the ranch.

• Useful 4
  • Love 5

In my opinion, one of the best houses was Brad Carlton's house.  I haven't seen it in years, so only remember it from back in the day.  Maybe it will pop up again in one of these classic episodes and I'll get a chance to see if the memory of it still holds up!  I think all we ever saw was the living room but compared to the dusty old Newman living room, it was positively modern.  Ashley's breast cancer storyline took place there and I used to think she was so glamorous!

I, too, like Sharon's little cottage!  I'm sort of tired of seeing the same furniture in there, though.  I miss the GCAC and agree that Glo Worm was really a pretty place.  Didn't Glo-Worm used to belong to Neil, but called something else, of course.

I also noticed that the Newman house has had some upgrades, with ceiling beams and such!  I think that their sofa is the one that was used in Lauren & Michael's old place.........

My least favorite set?  Adam's penthouse....I have never liked it.  Didn't care for it when it was Nick's, either.  There's no warmth to it.  Maybe that's on purpose, because of the inhabitant?

• Useful 2
  • Love 8

I, too, like Sharon's little cottage!  I'm sort of tired of seeing the same furniture in there, though. 

Just so long as they don't lose the dragon fly chair and the Tiffany lamp. If they really want to get rid of them, they can pass them my way.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

Someone mentioned in the daily chat about missing the swimming pool sets and I agree.  Especially with summer upon us.  The pool parties were always the hot spot for the teen scene back in the day!

Thanks @JasonCC for creating this thread!  I feel like it’s going to be a fun place to hangout. I’m really looking forward to this coming week’s episodes!  I think we will all have a lot to discuss here.  😊😊😊

• Love 10

I’m so glad that we have a place to talk about sets! Thanks so much for starting this. I like the Newman’s new house but it seems kind of crowded to me. They should be living in something more expansive and grand. I like the Abbott mansion but surely wish they’d update their furnishings. Just looking at that place makes me sneeze. Sharon’s cottage is really cute but also needs an update and a downsizing of all the “stuff” everywhere. It needs some breathing room. Poor Vicki-she’s lost most of her house. All she’s left with is her tiny living room and part of a dining room. And with all of her millions! Adam’s penthouse is cold and sterile just like him. Devon’s penthouse is a bit homier for some reason but really not my taste. This is fun, guys!

• Love 7
57 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Just so long as they don't lose the dragon fly chair and the Tiffany lamp. If they really want to get rid of them, they can pass them my way.

Your lamp and chair would be safe with me!  It's the sofa I'm not fond of anymore!

Edited by lovemesomejoolery
  • Love 6
7 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Yes. I'm picturing a a scrolled, velvet sofa. Moss green.

I was scanning google to find a picture of the sofa I'd like for Sharon - yes, in moss green - and came across this picture!  It's the blue plate at the Newman Ranch!

It's amazing what moss green will pull up in google!

image.png

• LOL 6
  • Love 3

It’s not weird. I used to have a sand perch that was supposed to file his nails down but the vet techs warned it could cause foot irritation and Steve would like peck and try and chew on the sand and I was advised to remove it. 

A brick would be too heavy to place on the bottom of his cage. Plus, this is the bird who wouldn’t go anywhere near his food dish if I put bread or fruit in it until I would remove it. It took him a year to not be afraid of bread. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Wasn't MM's Adam also suspected? I think it was because he was trying to throw suspicion off of Sharon for burning down the ranch.

Yep, Peacheslatour is right, it was Adam.  According to Wikipedia, he hired an arsonist.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

I was scanning google to find a picture of the sofa I'd like for Sharon - yes, in moss green - and came across this picture!  It's the blue plate at the Newman Ranch!

It's amazing what moss green will pull up in google!

image.png

Did it pull up a picture of Nick's underwear, because I'm pretty sure they're moss green by now.

Or at least mossy.

• LOL 10
4 hours ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

In my opinion, one of the best houses was Brad Carlton's house.  I haven't seen it in years, so only remember it from back in the day.  Maybe it will pop up again in one of these classic episodes and I'll get a chance to see if the memory of it still holds up!  I think all we ever saw was the living room but compared to the dusty old Newman living room, it was positively modern.  Ashley's breast cancer storyline took place there and I used to think she was so glamorous!

I, too, like Sharon's little cottage!  I'm sort of tired of seeing the same furniture in there, though.  I miss the GCAC and agree that Glo Worm was really a pretty place.  Didn't Glo-Worm used to belong to Neil, but called something else, of course.

I also noticed that the Newman house has had some upgrades, with ceiling beams and such!  I think that their sofa is the one that was used in Lauren & Michael's old place.........

My least favorite set?  Adam's penthouse....I have never liked it.  Didn't care for it when it was Nick's, either.  There's no warmth to it.  Maybe that's on purpose, because of the inhabitant?

I agree, Carlton Manor was a great set.  The last time I remember seeing it was that time Daisy set fire to the place to try to kill Noah because, I think, she was jealous of him being with Eden.  Is that right?  

And Adam's penthouse is pretty dreadful.  It's just so dreary.

I wasn't too crazy about Cane and Lily's house, but that may be because of how many times those two violated that poor couch that had never done anything to anyone.  And those orange chairs......

15 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Three handled moss covered family gradunza.

Maybe that's how Ronn Moss got his name?

Edited by boes
  • LOL 9
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Lol, that's not even close to moss green. 

Right?  I was searching moss green sofa and realized I had Y&R in the search bar......I think it just pulled up any sofa from Y&R!

Had to go make dinner.  Can I just say, I am SO tired of making dinner..........I long to go out to eat, have a couple of drinks, socialize, eat, and eat some more from one of my favorite places!

• Love 9
2 hours ago, boes said:

I agree, Carlton Manor was a great set.  The last time I remember seeing it was that time Daisy set fire to the place to try to kill Noah because, I think, she was jealous of him being with Eden.  Is that right?  

And Adam's penthouse is pretty dreadful.  It's just so dreary.

I wasn't too crazy about Cane and Lily's house, but that may be because of how many times those two violated that poor couch that had never done anything to anyone.  And those orange chairs......

Maybe that's how Ronn Moss got his name?

Whoa, I don't remember any of that.  Did Daisy and Noah interact at all?  I thought the last time we saw Brad's house was when it belonged to Abby.  Tracy was visiting and staying with her, and they both stormed over to the Abbott house because thet saw a rat or cockroaches or something and it was being fumigated.  Then Abby never went back.  Thanks, JFP.  That was a great house, so of course she had to get rid of it.

Adam's penthouse started out as Nikki and Victor's while they were waiting for the ranch to be re-built. Nick and Stooge lived in Devon's current penthouse when they were trying to adopt that pregnant teen's baby after Christian not-died. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, Snaporaz said:

Whoa, I don't remember any of that.  Did Daisy and Noah interact at all?  I thought the last time we saw Brad's house was when it belonged to Abby.  Tracy was visiting and staying with her, and they both stormed over to the Abbott house because thet saw a rat or cockroaches or something and it was being fumigated.  Then Abby never went back.  Thanks, JFP.  That was a great house, so of course she had to get rid of it.

Adam's penthouse started out as Nikki and Victor's while they were waiting for the ranch to be re-built. Nick and Stooge lived in Devon's current penthouse when they were trying to adopt that pregnant teen's baby after Christian not-died. 

That was when Daisy was working for Lauren before anyone knew who she was.  Eden was suspicious so Daisy set the fire to kill her but almost killed Noah instead.  That's when Noah was being played by Kevin? Schmitt?  Was that his name??

• Useful 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

That sounds vaguely familiar, but I think I've killed too many brain cells during my misspent youth to put together a clearer picture.  I just don't remember Brad's house burning down at all.  I do remember blond Noah, though.  I think he was the best Noah.  Well, current Noah ran over Billy Munster's head, so that might give him the edge.

• LOL 8

Pictures of Mike and Lauren's Apartment:

lauren-michael-apartment-yr-am.jpg?fit=1

4f83811a9100d25e457d76c5270f24ed.jpg

The embossed concrete wall treatments and windows of their apartment reminded me of Frank Lloyd Wright's Ennis and Millard House in Los Angeles:

void0-12.jpeg

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 2
  • Love 10

Chancellor Mansion:

jeanne_s_last_eppy.jpg

yr-jeanne-stairs-1.jpg

I loved the original mural on the staircase wall.

0c554553605d99d8ccd3508f59bd0ba8.jpg

NotBilly's mortuary décor for the Chancellor Mansion, obliterating all trace of Katherine Chancellor.

Billy-Phyllis-mansion-debacle-YR-XJJ.jpg

Jill had NotBilly's monstorsity redecorated; the new mural is gracious, but a little out of place with the dressed down Crate and Barrel furnishings and accessories.

Cp_pYALUsAAZA-E.jpg

• Love 4

I hated how Billy ruined the Chancellor mansion. What did Jill call it again? It had me laughing so hard. 

The original Ranch was really elaborate with all those rooms, like the piano room. The current set design is simple, but better than what the old ranch was immediately replaced with. I do kind of like the stain glass on the new set. 

I hate, hate, Nick's house. And Adam's condo. Same with Devon's place. No character. 

And aww, I miss seeing Tracy and Michael's place. It's been forever. 

ETA: This might be a UO, but I always liked Victoria's place. I'm a big fan of blue, lol. 

• Love 8

This is a great thread, thanks for starting it @JasonCC!

So I definitely do not have the history or attention to detail as our Preverts do, but I have some thoughts.

• Thank you to to @Cupid Stunt for the photos of the Newman Ranch.  I was pretty sure it was ugly, and those photos prove it.
  • I feel like since bi-polar Sharon burnt down the Newman Ranch, we have had two different sets for the new house.  One is around the era when Drinki was playing piano with Reed, and in the same house JT tossed Pricktor down the stairs.  Then we got the new version which had the very weird addition of long hallways.  I guess so that we could have Katie finding the mysterious guy behind the hallways.  But they definitely changed the set and where the door to the house is, etc., but never bothered to explain any of that.
  • I have no idea why, but I love Sharon's house.  Probably because it is her home and she has raised her family there, and it will always be home to them.
  • No one has yet mentioned the tacky house.  I remember in early days, I think it was Victoria's house with Cole? Or Diego?  It got redone over the years but somehow always remained tacky.
  • I thought the GCAC restaurant with adjacent bar set was lovely.  And the wood/glass revolving door!   I am guessing it took up too much room, hence why we get the smaller Society set.  But then we have the lobby of the Grand Phuckup, which takes up some space.  But doesn't actually have a proper front desk as a high end hotel would.  They should have stayed with the GCAC.  Plus remember when they added the outdoor space that was also adjacent to Chancellor Park?  WTF happened to that?  Who authorized these changes?!
  • Dummer's apt, paid for by Jack, I think, and defiled by Philly seems to be gone.  Where do Dummer and Dumber live, btw?
  • Is Lola's apt. also gone?
  • I also miss the pool sets.  Sigh.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, bannana said:

Plus remember when they added the outdoor space that was also adjacent to Chancellor Park?  WTF happened to that?  Who authorized these changes?!

I was wondering about that, too.  I always got a roof top patio / pool vibe from it.  

• Love 8

Goodness, the old Newman Ranch! Shades of the Ponderosa... All that brown, not for me.

I miss the GCAC too--it was "real Y & R" somehow--Top of the Tower, wherever it went, I don't miss--too generic. I kinda liked Victoria's turquoise and white living room; I like white woodwork and most shades of blue. Really never liked [UO Alert] Sharon's cottage: on record as hating Tiffany lamps, stone fireplaces, and wood walls. I more a Mario Buatta English chintz kinda gal. And the so-called "midcentury" Cane and Lily house, eugh.

The various condos look like sets, not like living places to me. And maybe the Abbott living room might be a tad dusty, but I love it.

• Love 8

Plus remember when they added the outdoor space that was also adjacent to Chancellor Park?  WTF happened to that?  Who authorized these changes?!

Yes! They would put heat lamps in the winter and have people bundled up with hot drinks. I never was sure if that was really supposed to be a part of the GCAC, or just a outdoor Central Park style café at Chancellor Park. The rooftop pool at GCAC I always felt was a good summertime set.

I don't necessarily "like" Sharon's cottage but I'm happy to have it because like mentioned above it does feel more old Y&R.....I do actually like the Tack House set! The problem is it should have been Noah's….or Reed's in a year or two....place. It was always ridiculous when they would have people raising kids in that small but adorable place. My only problem is sometimes it had more fussy doo-dads and clutter than what looks good in a loft-type space...the last time we saw it when Adam got shot I noticed it was decorated a little more sleek and "masculine" looking (sorry can't think of a better word: some old steamer trunks and books, fewer vases and pots). 

• Love 8
9 hours ago, bannana said:

This is a great thread, thanks for starting it @JasonCC!

So I definitely do not have the history or attention to detail as our Preverts do, but I have some thoughts.

• Thank you to to @Cupid Stunt for the photos of the Newman Ranch.  I was pretty sure it was ugly, and those photos prove it.
  • I feel like since bi-polar Sharon burnt down the Newman Ranch, we have had two different sets for the new house.  One is around the era when Drinki was playing piano with Reed, and in the same house JT tossed Pricktor down the stairs.  Then we got the new version which had the very weird addition of long hallways.  I guess so that we could have Katie finding the mysterious guy behind the hallways.  But they definitely changed the set and where the door to the house is, etc., but never bothered to explain any of that.
  • I have no idea why, but I love Sharon's house.  Probably because it is her home and she has raised her family there, and it will always be home to them.
  • No one has yet mentioned the tacky house.  I remember in early days, I think it was Victoria's house with Cole? Or Diego?  It got redone over the years but somehow always remained tacky.
  • I thought the GCAC restaurant with adjacent bar set was lovely.  And the wood/glass revolving door!   I am guessing it took up too much room, hence why we get the smaller Society set.  But then we have the lobby of the Grand Phuckup, which takes up some space.  But doesn't actually have a proper front desk as a high end hotel would.  They should have stayed with the GCAC.  Plus remember when they added the outdoor space that was also adjacent to Chancellor Park?  WTF happened to that?  Who authorized these changes?!
  • Dummer's apt, paid for by Jack, I think, and defiled by Philly seems to be gone.  Where do Dummer and Dumber live, btw?
  • Is Lola's apt. also gone?
  • I also miss the pool sets.  Sigh.

There were two different ranch sets after the fire. The first one I hated and had this ugly brick archway. I couldn't picture the Newman's living in such an ugly space. And now we have the current set. I also miss Summer's place. She's now living at Nick's and sleeping over at the Giant Turkey where Kyle is living.  And since we haven't seen Lola in awhile, I guess her set is gone as well. 

newman-ranch.jpg

• Love 6

The Rosales apt above Crimson Lights would be an excellent home for Tessa and Mariah.

I also thought Victoria (and Billy's) house was nice, even if it seemed fairly modest. 

Does anyone remember when it was the same house, but with more of mid-century 50s furniture/decorations? I kind of liked it, they shrunk it at some point and made the décor more Pottery Barn.

Oh and the mural on Chancellor Estate stairs? That, to me, was the iconic Y&R set piece. Far more than anything Newman or Abbott. More consistency since the 70s than any home I've lived in! I miss it still.

KC stairs.png

Edited by JasonCC
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8

?m=02&d=20200413&t=2&i=1514864750&w=640&

Cheerleaders wearing face masks are seen at the first professional baseball league game of the season at Taoyuan International baseball stadium in Taoyuan city, Taiwan, April 11, 2020. REUTERS/Ann Wang

'Like test dummies': As Colorado reopens, some see too much risk

New Zealand has 'won battle' against community transmission of Covid-19 -- Ahead of move to level-3 lockdown, PM says country must remain vigilant

The computer algorithm that was among the first to detect the coronavirus outbreak -- On New Year's Eve, a small company in Canada was among the first to raise the alarm about an infectious disease outbreak. Its computer algorithm calculated where the virus might spread next. The technology could change the way we fight another contagion.

Patents vs. the Pandemic -- As researchers around the world rush to develop new diagnostics and treatments for COVID-19, we must not forget that such cooperation is an exception to the rule. In the absence of public intervention, we will remain reliant for life-saving drugs and vaccines on a monopoly-driven system that favors profits over people.

New York hospitals are studying a common heartburn drug as treatment for Covid-19

She's been falsely accused of starting the pandemic. Her life has been turned upside down

Mayor imposes curfew, then entertains fellow bored residents

'Air on your face': Spanish children get outside for first time in six weeks

Low-tech Japan challenged in working from home amid pandemic

As virus lockdown eases, Italy ponders what went wrong -- Related: Many failures combined to unleash death on Italy’s Lombardy

200423151437-130131-burkard-206968.jpg

Otherworldly photographs warn of Iceland's disappearing rivers

Even Small Lifestyle Changes Can Help You Be Greener in Everyday Life

USDA let millions of pounds of food rot while food-bank demand soared

'The food supply chain is breaking,' Tyson says as plants close

World’s Biggest Wheat Supply Dries Up When Some Want It Most -- Russia exhausts grain-export quota two months ahead of plan. Russian ban could benefit rival suppliers like the EU and U.S.

What an Oklahoma rancher wants you to know about America's broken food supply system

The USDA’s Plan to Feed Americans and Pay Farmers Is Not Enough

Here's why you can't find frozen fries, while U.S. farmers are sitting on tons of potatoes

A Wisconsin creamery is providing free milk using a 'kindness cooler'

Steak-umm's Twitter Account Has Become an Unlikely Voice of Reason -- The frozen meat's social media presence is raising money and awareness to fight COVID-19.

How to Freeze Fresh Fruits and Vegetables Properly -- Prolong the life of your fruits and vegetables with these simple steps.

original.jpg

The Pandemic Will Change American Retail Forever -- The big will get bigger as mom-and-pops perish and shopping goes virtual. In the short term, our cities will become more boring. In the long term, they might just become interesting again.

When oil became waste: a week of turmoil for crude, and more pain to come

The coronavirus response: Why wasn't America ready?

Study: 71 percent of jobless Americans did not receive their March unemployment benefits -- A new Pew study found only 29 percent of jobless Americans received benefits in March.

Public companies took far more small business loans than first thought. Here’s the latest tally -- Even as the U.S. small business relief program is set to reopen Monday with fresh funding, the full extent that public companies tapped the emergency facility is only now becoming clear. More than 220 public companies applied for at least $870 million from the government program that was billed as emergency funding for small businesses without access to other sources of capital, according to data analytics firm FactSquared. That includes $126.4 million for three public companies affiliated with Texas hotelier Monty Bennett. One of those firms, Ashford Hospitality Trust, applied for $76 million in 117 separate loans, according to regulatory filings. Amid pressure, 13 companies have returned $98 million to the Paycheck Protection Program so far. -- Related: Large, Troubled Companies Got Bailout Money in Small-Business Loan Program

Lakers return $4.6 million loan they received as part of government's small-business program -- I have questions on the criteria for PPP if the billionaire owners of the Lakers qualify.

A flood of business bankruptcies likely in coming months

How Las Vegas Became Ground Zero for the American Jobs Crisis

What the Stock Market Is Really Saying -- The seeming confidence expressed by global equity markets in the face of the COVID-19 pandemic has surprised many – including many market participants. But a closer look reveals an unambiguous message: The global economy is facing a long, deep malaise, followed by a "new normal" of reduced earnings and profitability for all but a chosen few.

Court reinstates California ammunition purchase law

Hiroshima_DSC_3123_6248212356-e156510415

Hiroshima after 75 years: Walking the path of the atomic bomb

Coronavirus: The hidden pain and sorrow of dying at home -- Stories from three grieving families of COVID-19 victims: "I didn't say goodbye because I didn't think it was goodbye."

New York City's Hart Island: An overlooked final resting place

Americans look inward to navigate troubled times -- "Face the Nation" moderator Margaret Brennan reflects on the state of our democracy as everyday Americans rise up as leaders in the era of coronavirus.

US church faces neglect allegations after Haiti child deaths

DIY hair coloring: Getting to the root of the problem

Chris Matthews says harassment allegation was 'highly justified' in first interview since resignation  -- On the road back to broadcasting.

Deserted icons: Indiana enclave awaits return of racing

635645093966332521-635641930775953488-ga

Checking in with Nala, the elevator riding care center teacup poodle

Silenced by virus, Met Opera links for digital global gala 

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8

So apparently we're going to be the first Province to open daycare and elementary schools off the island on May 11 and daycare and elementary schools in Montreal will be opening May 19. Attendance isn't mandatory. I really do think this is a bad idea. 

Also, tomorrow we will get a plan in regards to the re-opening of the economy. 

Makes me want to hide in bed for the rest of my life. 

18 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I hated how Billy ruined the Chancellor mansion. What did Jill call it again?

The mausoleum. 

The Newman ranch pictures bring back so many memories. Where Nikki would play the piano. Where she would be tempted to take a drink. And that reminds me of a picture of Victor and little Victoria I saw on some soap site. The child actress was blond and cute. And that takes me to little Abby who was cute. Too bad they have to grow up.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

Yeah, schools here in Ontario are closed until at least the end of May, and I have my doubts as to whether they will be opened at all before the end of the school year. Even if they were, I don’t think I would send my kids back.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
22 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I hated how Billy ruined the Chancellor mansion. What did Jill call it again? It had me laughing so hard. 

The original Ranch was really elaborate with all those rooms, like the piano room. The current set design is simple, but better than what the old ranch was immediately replaced with. I do kind of like the stain glass on the new set. 

I hate, hate, Nick's house. And Adam's condo. Same with Devon's place. No character. 

And aww, I miss seeing Tracy and Michael's place. It's been forever. 

ETA: This might be a UO, but I always liked Victoria's place. I'm a big fan of blue, lol. 

4 hours ago, babyhouseman said:

The mausoleum. 

That's what Jill called it when it was Katherine's house.  When Billy re-did the house, I believe Jill said it looked like "a bordello for depressives".  Remember the stupid hockey stick in the corner?  I hate Nick's frat house, too.  The Underground sign bugs me to no end, for some reason.  I liked the GCAC rooftop.  I don't think they used it at all last summer, did they?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5

Yeah, Ontario appears to be taking a more cautious approach which I admire. Quebec seems more concerned with jump starting the economy. Makes me wish I was living in Ontario. We’ll see what tomorrow brings when we get an actual outline of opening procedures. 

• Love 9

?m=02&d=20200420&t=2&i=1515780496&w=640&

“There’s No Such Thing as Returning to Normal”

Asians in US and abroad report surge in racist attacks amid coronavirus outbreak

Black female inmates and COVID-19: Medically compromised, vulnerable and neglected -- “Women’s needs are obscured in ways that have real consequences … ” Women are not small men.

In Race for a Coronavirus Vaccine, an Oxford Group Leaps Ahead

Chinese Alzheimer’s Drug Gets U.S. Approval for Stateside Trial -- Green Valley’s novel therapy was approved in China last year. First drug for the neuro-degenerative disease in 17 years

Citing 'zero lethal threat' to students, Purdue works to reopen college for fall 2020 -- Put that in writing?

original.jpg

Insane Clown Posse Is Modeling Ideal Pandemic Leadership -- They might not know how magnets work, but the group’s members do know that cultural figureheads should simply tend to their communities during this time.

Lockdowns in China start to ease

Experts say states easing restrictions too early may increase the US coronavirus death toll

These countries effectively contained the coronavirus, and their currencies are surging in response -- As Australia, New Zealand and South Korea gradually re-open their economies and lift lockdown measures, their currencies have also jumped significantly compared to earlier this year, when the outbreak ravaged the Asia Pacific region. “New Zealand and Australia have been very effective in controlling COVID-19 and are ready to restart their economies,” Kathy Lien, managing director of foreign exchange strategy at BK Asset Management, wrote in a note. “There is also a notion that Asia has controlled the virus more effectively than the US and Europe,” added Tapas Strickland, director of economics and markets at the National Australia Bank.

Beach crowds lead California to step up enforcement of coronavirus restrictions

Millions of People Face Stimulus Check Delays for a Strange Reason: They Are Poor -- The IRS has had trouble getting money to people quickly because millions of Americans pay for their tax preparation through a baroque system of middlemen.

Coronavirus has created a crisis for primary care doctors and their patients -- How the coronavirus is making America’s health care access problems even worse.

Amid coronavirus distress, wealthy hospitals hoard millions

With Schools Shut by Coronavirus, Remote Learning Strains Parents -- Put on a helmet. Parenting is hard.

Six senators urge Justice Department to take tough look at 'problematic' textbook merger

200415154429-biggest-ozone-hole-arctic-s

The largest-ever Arctic ozone hole developed this spring. Now, scientists say it's closed.

The Fed's low rates will punish people who save

Exclusive: Oil traders book expensive U.S. vessels to store gasoline, ship fuel overseas in sign of desperation

Tracking the spread of the novel coronavirus  Last Updated: April 27, 2020 09:00 PM

An expanding epidemic -- Since the novel coronavirus outbreak began in China in December 2019, more than 3 million positive cases of COVID-19 have been reported worldwide and 210 thousand people have lost their lives.

New York maps coronavirus genome to help track future outbreaks

A Virginia preacher believed ‘God can heal anything.’ Then he caught coronavirus.

BB13fMjP.img?h=450&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

The forest at Sandarmokh in the northwestern Russian region of Karelia, where thousands of victims of Stalin were executed. © Davide Monteleone for The New York Times

He Found One of Stalin’s Mass Graves. Now He’s in Jail.

Supreme Court tells U.S. government to pay insurers $12 billion under Obamacare

A historic Second Amendment showdown in the Supreme Court ends with a whimper -- Gun rights groups are still likely to win a big Supreme Court victory, but they won’t win it this term.

SAG-AFTRA, Studios to Start Contract Talks Monday, Sidelining Writers Guild

Writers Guild Suffers Big Loss as Court Dismisses Almost All Its Claims Against Agencies

As Hollywood Maps Out Its Return, New On-Set Protocols Take Center Stage

Piglets aborted, chickens gassed as pandemic slams meat sector

The Best Food Storage Containers You Can Buy, According to Amazon Reviews

What Happens to Gambling When Sports Shut Down? -- The cancellation of major events has left stadiums empty and casinos closed.

Visiting Vintage Paris, Virtually

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
16 hours ago, Capricasix said:

Yeah, schools here in Ontario are closed until at least the end of May, and I have my doubts as to whether they will be opened at all before the end of the school year. Even if they were, I don’t think I would send my kids back.

Well, since I know for a fact that colleges and universities will only be running online all summer, and we're told to be prepared to run online perhaps into October at least, I doubt anyone's going to risk the liability of putting kids back into group environments at the end of May.

Jewel, I don't understand the PQ stance either--"herd immunity"? No such thing.

• Love 7

I'm in the mood to be optimistic, so I am really really hoping for the best based on the above articles about the  covid19 vaccine from Oxford and the promising Alzheimer's drug.  Please please please...

In the article about Hollywood's plans for its return, it mentions someone named Colleen Bell as the California Film Commissioner.  I know it's a common name, but is she one of the Y&R Bells?   

Also, I'd seen that Rufus Tower video before, but I could watch it over and over again.  Sweet kitty seems so happy with it!  That's what love looks like, right there!

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

I'm in the mood to be optimistic, so I am really really hoping for the best based on the above articles about the  covid19 vaccine from Oxford and the promising Alzheimer's drug.  Please please please...

I was very excited to find those articles.

In the article about Hollywood's plans for its return, it mentions someone named Colleen Bell as the California Film Commissioner.  I know it's a common name, but is she one of the Y&R Bells?   

Yes.

"Ms. Bell lives in Los Angeles and is married to writer/producer Bradley Bell, with whom she has four children."

Also, I'd seen that Rufus Tower video before, but I could watch it over and over again.  Sweet kitty seems so happy with it!  That's what love looks like, right there!

That's a favorite video. Rufus is just as involved with the building as his loving owner.

• Love 10

77a2a571-8b96-4557-9acd-894f4aa6e0ba-AFP

The US has now passed 1 million confirmed Covid-19 cases -- Very soon, the US will also likely exceed 60,000 reported deaths from the coronavirus.

Gloomy summer looms as pandemic cancels US festivals, trips

Your legal rights in a quarantine, explained -- The truth is, your rights aren’t particularly well defined.

US could be in for 'a bad fall and a bad winter' if it's unprepared for a second wave of coronavirus, Fauci warns

What Covid-19 antibody tests say, and don’t say, about immunity -- A positive antibody test doesn’t yet mean you’re immune to Covid-19.

500 TSA employees have tested positive for COVID-19

Mass layoffs begin in cities and states amid coronavirus fallout, threatening education, sanitation, health and safety

Where the coronavirus is hitting rural America hard -- Covid-19 is running rampant through some workplaces, including factories and farms. -- Related: In rural US, fears of virus seem far away as stores reopen

hypatia-h_8000784c14d57173df0272c483b5d1

Why rural Americans are having a hard time working from home

The debate about whether expanded unemployment insurance is too generous, explained -- An extra $600 a week for people who lost their jobs is a decent deal for those who can get it. But it leaves essential workers asking: What about me?

Companies seek to limit legal liability for virus infections

Retail Covid-19 testing is a massive failure for black communities

Google’s growth slows as pandemic infests advertising market

A Federal Reserve program plans to lend $500 billion to large companies. It won't require them to preserve jobs or limit executive pay.

5e8967fca310128206679665.jpeg

Gilead says early results of coronavirus drug trial show improvement with shorter remdesivir treatment

Hospitals in financial crisis as pandemic strains health care system

How to read that coronavirus chart -- Data visualizations of Covid-19 can be misleading.

Merck expects brunt of pandemic will strike this quarter

Lots of companies now want your video chats -- even Facebook -- Even? Especially Facebook.

Tz9wxqb.gif

International Dance Day: Stuck at home? Learn to dance from the best

Students are filing lawsuits and organizing strikes against universities -- Some of their demands include refunds for housing, meal plans, and tuition for the shortened academic year.

Kawasaki disease, a rare inflammatory syndrome seen in US child with Covid-19

Nearly 70 dead in ‘horrific’ outbreak at veterans home

The successful Asian coronavirus-fighting strategy America refuses to embrace -- Other countries have had better results putting sick people into isolation instead of sending them home to potentially infect their family.

Religious freedom attorneys pick their battles amid pandemic

da5979a1-023b-4dd4-87db-e39c1ac10442_570

"Nuestra Señora de las Iguanas (Our Lady of the Iguanas)" (1979). Credit: Graciela Iturbide/Courtesy Museum of Fine Arts Boston

Graciela Iturbide's images reveal untold stories of indigenous Mexico

Coronavirus pandemic: Updates from around the world

UN: $90 billion could protect 700 million poor in pandemic

False belief poison cures virus kills over 700 in Iran

Jair Bolsonaro undermined Brazil’s coronavirus response. Now there’s a political crisis.

Germany to start first coronavirus vaccine trial -- With more than 2.5 million people now infected worldwide in the COVID-19 pandemic, Germany has authorized the first clinical trial of a coronavirus vaccine. The first human tests will begin before the end of April.

How does India, a country of 1.3 billion people, have around 1,000 coronavirus deaths?

Sweden takes a different approach to coronavirus pandemic -- Related: Has Sweden found the best response to the coronavirus? Its death rate suggests it hasn’t. -- Sweden’s coronavirus death toll is worse than America’s but better than New York City’s.

How China is ruthlessly exploiting the coronavirus pandemic it helped cause -- “Everything they’re doing is a full-court press,” one expert told Vox.

3000.jpeg

New love for pretty, old-fashioned Grandmother’s Gardens

Virus Diary: Planting an apple seed, dreaming of tomorrow

Here's Exactly When Every Fast Food Restaurant Plans to Reopen -- The U.S. government required restaurant dining rooms to shutter to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Here's when restaurant chains will start reopening.

North Carolina governor OKs NASCAR race at Charlotte Motor Speedway

NCAA takes biggest step yet toward allowing college athletes to be compensated for name, image and likeness

Daytime Emmys Go Remote as NATAS Cancels In-Person Award Ceremonies

Stoop show: Brooklyn accordionist entertains neighbors

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
On 4/26/2020 at 6:27 PM, jewel21 said:

It took him a year to not be afraid of bread. 

Maybe he was afraid of the gluten. 

9 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I love old fashioned Cottage Gardens. This year I have already planted nasturtiums, morning glory, sweet peas and hollyhocks.

Years later I'm still pulling up morning glory evil weeds. Those seeds live in the soil for years waiting to germinate and then strangle any other plant they're near. Same with the damn sweet peas, but I think I got the last of them years ago. As far as old fashioned plants go, I have little white bleeding heats and lily of the valleys. I used to plant nasturtium seeds, but they never fared well. Few if any came up, were tiny and then died, year after year.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, SweePea59 said:

Maybe he was afraid of the gluten. 

Years later I'm still pulling up morning glory evil weeds. Those seeds live in the soil for years waiting to germinate and then strangle any other plant they're near. Same with the damn sweet peas, but I think I got the last of them years ago. As far as old fashioned plants go, I have little white bleeding heats and lily of the valleys. I used to plant nasturtium seeds, but they never fared well. Few if any came up, were tiny and then died, year after year.

Thirty years ago we had a side of the house garden that was (and mostly still is) damaged soil from lead from the house and other not good things.  Hubby keeps trying to enrich the soil every year but it is a losing battle.

So at the beginning, someone gave me some creeping Charlie, which was said to grow anywhere.  The plant never actually showed anything above the ground but the roots took over underground and it took us years to dig it all out.  Those roots went far and wide and deep.

Also, around this same time, we had an older Italian neighbour and he decided on his own to throw some mint into that same soil.  And that also became an invasive plant that took us years to eradicate, even in the shitty lead and rocky soil!

And I guess it turns out that creeping Charlie and mint are from the same invasive plant family.

Now that I have described this unattractive side garden, I don't want you to think we don't have a lovely garden elsewhere, we do.  But we just have this nasty patch, and believe me, we have dug out many feet and put new soil in there, year after year.  I have found some perennials that will grow in just about anything, and this year things are looking a bit better.

@SweePea59 I love Lily of the Valley, I grew up with that surrounding the front of our house when I was a kid. We are not in the right zone here but we still manage to get some growth.

We have pink bleeding hearts.  I think it is so funny that certain plants are/were considered out of style!  Where I live, we are just happy to have anything bloom!

• Love 9