Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

(edited)
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Thar's rotten. I don't understand how those teachers make too much to get a check. I've never heard of that happening. We got a check last week buy my son got his last month o-O.

Correction - they're about 1200 over the limit, not 100.  He coaches at two schools besides the one he teaches at and she works weekends at Target.  Between their mortgage and paying for the kids to go to catholic school - they don't even get a tuition break from the schools they teach at - and the cost of living out here........ the "middle class" is a disappearing animal.  

Everything they do is for their kids and their education.  It kills me to see good people suffer just trying to do the right thing.  We gave them half of our checks.

Edited by boes
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, boes said:

Correction - they're about 1200 over the limit, not 100.  He coaches at two schools besides the one he teaches at and she works weekends at Target.  Between their mortgage and paying for the kids to go to catholic school - they don't even get a tuition break from the schools they teach at - and the cost of living out here........ the "middle class" is a disappearing animal.  

Everything they do is for their kids and their education.  It kills me to see good people suffer just trying to do the right thing.  We gave them half of our checks.

((((boes)))), You. Are. Wonderful!  💛

11 hours ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

Mr. Lovesmesome and I have not received our stimulus check!

But, I have heard that they were going to transition to a debit card instead of a paper check.  Are you able to transfer the money on that debit card to a bank checking or savings account?  You said you dad is a cash only guy, but does he have an account?

Yes, the money can be transferred to a bank account.  And yes, my dad has bank accounts.  When he's buying something in a store, he's cash only.  My dad does not do credit at all.  Even if he buys a car, he pays it off in full (with a check).  But I have to write the checks!  My parents are Italian immigrants with no formal education.  They can read English, but they can't write.  So I have to take care of bills and forms that need to be filled out and anything lIke that.  They are both also having some age-related comprehension issues lately, and I'd been telling them all this time their checks would be direct-deposited. 😞  My mom has her own checking account, and she wants her share!  So I'll have half deposited in her account and half in my dad's.

Thank you all for letting me know your experience.  The debit card seriously looks like junk mail.  If I received that, I probably would have thrown it out without opening it thinking it was some credit card offer.  When I called to activate the card, I had to enter the last six digits of my dad's SS#, and that made me a little nervous that I was falling for some scam.  So I was relieved to hear your stories. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

Yes, the money can be transferred to a bank account.  And yes, my dad has bank accounts.  When he's buying something in a store, he's cash only.  My dad does not do credit at all.  Even if he buys a car, he pays it off in full (with a check).  But I have to write the checks!  My parents are Italian immigrants with no formal education.  They can read English, but they can't write.  So I have to take care of bills and forms that need to be filled out and anything lIke that.  They are both also having some age-related comprehension issues lately, and I'd been telling them all this time their checks would be direct-deposited. 😞  My mom has her own checking account, and she wants her share!  So I'll have half deposited in her account and half in my dad's.

Thank you all for letting me know your experience.  The debit card seriously looks like junk mail.  If I received that, I probably would have thrown it out without opening it thinking it was some credit card offer.  When I called to activate the card, I had to enter the last six digits of my dad's SS#, and that made me a little nervous that I was falling for some scam.  So I was relieved to hear your stories. 

Snaporaz, you're a good son.  Your folks are blessed to have you.

• Love 10
8 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

Thank you all for letting me know your experience. The debit card seriously looks like junk mail. If I received that, I probably would have thrown it out without opening it thinking it was some credit card offer.  When I called to activate the card, I had to enter the last six digits of my dad's SS#, and that made me a little nervous that I was falling for some scam.  So I was relieved to hear your stories. 

I was at my in-laws last night (MIL is slowly improving; lower fever, rash clearing up, walking around her room), and that's exactly what my FIL did. We dug through the shred container to locate the debit card envelope (they have a truck come once a month to shred personal/business/confidential paper). It looked just like a credit card offer from VISA; perhaps that's the point -- Several million dollars saved by the government due to misdirection. 

The distribution system for the stimulus program is peculiar.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
(edited)

?m=02&d=20200528&t=2&i=1520132610&w=780&

ALABAMA: Delta Air Lines passenger planes are seen parked due to flight reductions made to slow the spread of coronavirus at Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport in Birmingham, Alabama, March 25, 2020. REUTERS/Elijah Nouvelage

Reuters Pictures - Wed May 27, 2020 - The 50 states of coronavirus

Tracking the novel coronavirus in the U.S. -- At least 1,706,230 cases of the highly contagious novel coronavirus have been reported in the United States and its territories, 100,327 have died of the illness according to a Reuters tally of state and local government sources. The U.S. diagnosed its first COVID-19 case in Washington state on Jan. 20. COVID-19 cases as of May 27, 2020, 11:45 P.M. (ET)

US death toll from coronavirus surges past 100,000 people

100,000 Lives Lost to COVID-19. What Did They Teach Us? -- Each person who has died of COVID-19 was somebody’s everything. Even as we mourn for those we knew, cry for those we loved and consider those who have died uncounted, the full tragedy of the pandemic hinges on one question: How do we stop the next 100,000?

1000.jpeg

Mourners attend a funeral service for Mattie Halley Robinson at the Church of God in Christ in Jersey City, N.J., Saturday, May 2, 2020. A wave of shaken families has had to honor the dead apart and in small groups during an era of social distancing. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig)

Associated Press PHOTOS: Funerals become lonely affairs amid pandemic

Coronavirus may never go away, even with a vaccine

AP-NORC poll: Half of Americans would get a COVID-19 vaccine -- Maybe more people need to die from The Corona to up the number of takers ... Just a thought.

Are coronavirus cases in the US actually going down? -- Three important takeaways from the latest US coronavirus case counts.

Why even a super-accurate Covid-19 test can fail -- It’s hard to find a disease that’s rare.

The fight over reopening churches reaches the Supreme Court -- This is likely to end badly for public health.

Fight over unemployment benefits in coronavirus aid

Imagine Hurricane Katrina during a pandemic. The US needs to prepare for that now. Hurricane season starts in June.

2000.jpeg

'Didn't give a damn': Inside a ravaged Spanish nursing home

New York Starts Mapping Out the Road Back From Coronavirus Crisis and It's Long

The Latest: French unemployment claims jump 22% in April

Exclusive: Research finds concerning drop in U.S. colorectal cancer screenings and surgeries

Lake of the Ozarks business owner defends action -- They forced their way in through the open door, shouted their cocktail order over pounding music and made me take their money. It was a nightmare! -- Related: 'Terrifying': Lake of Ozarks worker must return to job, but fears virus in crowds

fcd0971b-76d8-47dc-a7da-ebdc8dcc29e8-05-

(AP Photo/Felipe Dana)

Death and denial in Brazil’s Amazon capital -- Related: Indigenous leader calls for help in Brazil’s biggest reserve

Rising caseloads in India, Russia underline reopening risks

UN: Virus could push 14 million into hunger in Latin America

AP EXPLAINS: Why China is pushing Hong Kong security law -- Related: Lawmakers ejected in Hong Kong debate on Chinese anthem bill -- And there's more: Hong Kong’s business hub status imperiled by security law

Pompeo says Hong Kong is no longer autonomous from China -- Duh. That's what the protests and rioting is about.

So-called honor killing of teen girl brings outcry in Iran

The fatal arrest of George Floyd, a black man kneed in the neck by police, explained -- His cries of “I can’t breathe” are eerily reminiscent of Eric Garner’s. -- Related: These photos capture the stark contrast in police response to the George Floyd protests and the anti-lockdown protests -- In Minneapolis, police responded to a protest about police violence with more violence. -- You decide who's the greater threat.

1000.jpeg

A man poses for photos in front of a fire at an AutoZone store, while protesters hold a rally for George Floyd in Minneapolis on Wednesday, May 27, 2020. Violent protests over the death of the black man in police custody broke out in Minneapolis for a second straight night Wednesday, with protesters in a standoff with officers outside a police precinct and looting of nearby stores. (Carlos Gonzalez/Star Tribune via AP)

Violence again rocks Minneapolis after man’s death; 1 killed -- Related: False news swirls around Minneapolis officer in fatal arrest

Man who hanged effigy of Kentucky governor fired from job

Banned lawyer files lawsuit over Florida governor’s lockdown

Failed Maduro coup leader flew on pro-govt magnate’s plane -- Sort of Related: Citgo sues Miami firm over millions lost in Venezuela fraud

The Billionaire Governor Who’s Been Sued Dozens of Times for Millions in Unpaid Bills -- Gov. Jim Justice is West Virginia’s richest man. Over the last three decades, lawsuits over unpaid bills have cost his constellation of companies more than $128 million in judgments and settlements.

‘Master Thief’ burglar hopes to catch break on sentence

aws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20200528T143716Z

Gallery piece by Mue Bon

Specter of Negative Rates Is Putting Bankers on Edge -- Lenders already face lower profit due to surging loan losses. Despite the push-back, negative U.S. rates still a possibility.

‘Bummed out’: SpaceX launch scrubbed because of bad weather

What Parents Should Know About Coronavirus as Kids Return to Babysitters, Day Cares and Camps -- You never planned on raising kids during a pandemic, and there are no easy decisions. ProPublica scoured the latest research and talked to seven infectious disease and public health experts to help think through the issues facing parents. -- Related: Pools? Planes? Camps? What public health experts will and won’t do this summer.

World’s Busiest Airport Adopts New Tech to Fight COVID-19

Boeing cutting more than 12,000 U.S. jobs, thousands more planned

800.jpeg

In this screenshot provided by SpellPundit, spellers and organizers of the SpellPundit Online National Spelling Bee participate in semifinals Tuesday night, May 26, 2020. The bee was launched after the Scripps National Spelling Bee was canceled because of the coronavirus pandemic. (SpellPundit via AP)

Top spellers prepare to crown national champion, from home

55 Things in Your Attic That May Be Worth a Lot of Money

Cheyenne Frontier Days canceled for 1st time in 124 years

Disney, SeaWorld announce plans for Florida parks to reopen

Lawsuit: Ultra refuses refunds for canceled music festival

Players call MLB economic proposal `extremely disappointing’ -- Related: A’s to place scouts on furlough, end minor league pay

800.jpeg

In this July 12, 1983, file photo, the Phillie Phanatic jumps onto the back of Atlanta Braves catcher Biff Pocoroba, who didn't see the Phillies mascot coming a warmup before a baseball doubleheader in Philadelphia. Pocoroba, who played in the 1978 All-Star Game and was a backup on the Braves team that won an improbable NL West title in 1982, has died at age 66. (AP Photo/Rusty Kennedy, File)

Column: Remembering an old family friend, Biff Pocoroba

40 Foods Nutrition Experts Told Us You Should Be Eating Every Day

Twitter now lets you disable replies. It could be its best change yet. -- Twitter’s new reply moderation tool could be a game changer for victims of harassment.

The Quarantine Hair Trend No One Saw Coming -- Celebrities can't stop dyeing their hair pastel colors while self-isolating. -- <snore> 

“We are correcting the erasure of black lives”: What On the Record’s subjects say about Me Too -- Drew Dixon, Sheri Hines, and Sil Lai Abrams, whose rape allegations against Russell Simmons are the crux of a new HBO doc, discuss why they told their stories — and why some women never do.

Larry Kramer used voice, pen to raise consciousness on AIDS

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
(edited)
2 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

The distribution system for the stimulus program is peculiar.

So true.  I don't remember when it was that we Americans got a stimulus check before - I think it was like $200 or $300? - but what I DO remember is that it was announced, and within two weeks, the check came in the mail.

The good news?  Two months after it was announced, we finally got our stimulus direct deposited into our account as of today!

I'm grateful for the stimulus, don't get me wrong.  But there's been such a lack of information surrounding it, that it's difficult to track.   It does feel like it's purposeful, except that I heard on Rossen Reports that if you don't get your stimulus check, you'll be able to claim it/deduct it on your 2020 tax return.

15 hours ago, boes said:

This is one of the kindest things I have heard lately!  You are an exceptional human being!

Edited by lovemesomejoolery
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

I love hearing how your mom "wants her share"!  So cute!

They are lucky to have a great son, like you, to help steer them!

• Love 7

I got a call this morning from the dental school for a job offer downtown. I haven't called the lady back yet because I'm not sure so want to go back to work yet. I'm waiting to see how many people are going to die with the government stupidly re-opening everything when we're still getting over 500 new cases a day and have over 4,000 deaths. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

The dental lady really wants me to go for an interview. She said it's a great clinic and she wouldn't want me to miss out on it. It's downtown by the university and full time. Gah, I don't know what to do. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
10 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

The dental lady really wants me to go for an interview. She said it's a great clinic and she wouldn't want me to miss out on it. It's downtown by the university and full time. Gah, I don't know what to do. 

I think you should at least check it out. If you get a bad feeling about the place or the people there, you can always decline the job.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
(edited)
5 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Only you can answer this for yourself....but, if it were me, I would go for the interview.  I haven't been on these boards long enough to understand your history, but for the time that I have been here you've shared a couple of awful places/people that you've worked for.  You took this course to better yourself and passed with flying colors - why stop now?  You owe it to yourself to see this through!  You can always not take it if it feels "off", but to not check it out would be a disservice to yourself - and to this possible employer, who needs someone as great as you working for them!

ETA:  Plus, ONE full time job is way better than clobbering together a couple of part time jobs, right?

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

The secretary from the dental clinic called me around 7 PM but I didn't see the call until almost 11 PM. I will call her back tomorrow as she left me her cell phone number. She told me to call her if I want to come in for an interview. Apparently the interview would take place Monday afternoon. She left a message in French which is a bit disheartening. I was hopeful that the clinic would be more bilingual/English but it appears the dentist is a French man. 

Gramps wants me to wait a bit and keep collecting CERB one more month. He thinks the virus could end in a few months. I told him chances were it would last 1 to 2 years. 

Everyone is telling me to at least attempt the interview, there's no guarantee I would get the job anyway but to at least try. It's just stressful enough to start a new job, but to start one during a pandemic is like extra stressful. I actually took an Ativan tonight so I can fall asleep at a decent hour.  

Thanks for your words of encouragement, ya'll. I suffer from anxiety and depression and since this damn virus has reared its ugly head I'm so paranoid that I will get sick and kill gramps as a result. I barely leave the house at all but like my cousin said, I can't stay home forever. 

• Love 7
(edited)

BB14Kahx.img?h=450&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

© Provided by CBS Minnesota

‘Nothing short of murder’: After officers allegedly suffocate a suspect, condemnation grows 

Surveillance video does not support police claims that George Floyd resisted arrest

BB14JxOY.img?h=477&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

Protesters face off with police outside the Minneapolis Third Precinct as a third day of protests continues over the arrest of George Floyd, who later died in police custody. © Tannen Maury/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock 

Minneapolis Media Updates:

The unbearable grief of Black mothers -- Between Covid-19 and police brutality, the burden of grief is yet another risk to Black mothers’ health.

The Anti-Racist Reading List -- Because allyship can't be proven with a few social media posts.

800.jpeg

In this Tuesday, May 5, 2020 file photo, an orange biohazard tag hangs from a body bag in an isolated refrigerated unit set aside for bodies infected with coronavirus at the Cook County morgue in Chicago. The best sources of data on deaths from any cause is death certificates. But there time lags from when a death occurs, when a doctor or medical examiner assigns a cause, and when death certificates are filed, sent to health officials, and checked and counted. In a minority of cases, autopsies are performed, which can cause even more of a delay. So generally speaking, the most complete death counts are about two weeks old. (AP Photo/Charles Rex Arbogast)

The US tested the wrong people for the coronavirus -- Plus, the number that tells whether a city, county, or state is safe to reopen. -- Related: Experts say US coronavirus death count is flawed, but close

Just 3 states meet these basic criteria to reopen and stay safe -- Most states still need to reduce coronavirus cases and build up their testing capacity.

Older and immunocompromised people don’t deserve to be second-class citizens -- Here’s how to shorten the isolation of our most vulnerable citizens.

Op-26-04-BRITAIN-ART-PANDEMIC-COVID19-CO

Lionel Stanhope artist, London

Dangerous blood clots pose a perplexing coronavirus threat

Meatpacking union: 44 COVID-19 deaths among workers

Secrecy on legislator’s COVID-19 illness roils a statehouse

Almost everyone at one Michigan prison tests positive for COVID-19 antibodies

Cancer, coronavirus are a dangerous mix, new studies find

Children with perplexing syndrome linked to covid-19 may be experiencing deadly ‘cytokine storm’ 

The US should prioritize reopening schools, not salons and restaurants -- America can (and should) save small businesses with money, but schools are what teach kids to read.  -- Related: Amid virus lockdown, radio lessons return in Latin America

original.jpg

Gabby Jones / Redux

Americans Aren’t Getting the Advice They Need -- As people start reopening their lives, they’re hearing little practical guidance about the dilemmas they encounter. But some people are catching up. -- Related: VA says it’ll stop almost all use of unproven drug on vets

NYTimes Live Coronavirus World News Update -- Related: What a second peak of coronavirus could look like

‘Sorry, no mask allowed’: Some businesses pledge to keep out customers who cover their faces

Court orders defiant Michigan barber to close his shop

Missouri Great Clips sites close after virus-related threats

Mexico hit new virus record of over 500 deaths per day

1000.jpeg

Activists of the Generation-Foundation hold symbolic rescue umbrellas in their hands during a protest in front of the chancellery in Berlin, Germany, Thursday, May 28, 2020. The Generation-Foundation is focusing on climate change and social justice and demand a change of the system for the further generations. The inscriptions on the umbrellas read: 'Generation Rescue Umbrella' - 'Climate Justice Democracy'. (AP Photo/Markus Schreiber)

41 million jobs lost; homebound gear up to get out, way out

Rising US job losses stir fears of lasting economic damage -- Related: Millions Relying on Pandemic Aid Can See Its End, and They’re Scared

Vanishing jobs for young could create ‘lock-down generation’

Huge Washington state unemployment fraud warning to other states

Georgia Senators float idea of making state employees work for less -- After you.

People are mistaking stimulus payments for junk mail or a scam

How private jet owners got a subsidy from coronavirus relief funds -- Clay Lacy Aviation's use of paycheck protection funds illustrates one of the many ways the wealthiest Americans have benefited from programs to help workers.

9edad1994fb819caf3b7a268ba791fb76f5a941e

Photo Engineering & Technology Magazine

Let Hong Kong move to America -- Visas could do more than sanctions to help Hong Kong and punish China. -- Maybe in 2021, if Hong Kong still exists.

US joins G7 artificial intelligence group to counter China

China and India are in a dangerous standoff over a hotly contested border -- It’s about much more than a border. It’s about power in Asia.

Boris Johnson’s top adviser took a lockdown road trip. Now it’s a huge scandal. -- The prime minister’s defense of Dominic Cummings has only made things worse. -- All for me and none for thee.

How I made new friends during the pandemic -- Why keeping in touch with casual acquaintances is important, even in a pandemic.

What is the point of dating now? -- 11 single people on looking for love in quarantine.

original.jpg

Waitresses wearing protective masks, face shields, and gloves perform a cheer for customers at a cheerleader-themed restaurant, called Cheers One, in Tokyo, Japan, on May 11, 2020. -- Kim Kyung Hoon / Reuters

Socializing in a Pandemic, Protected by Plastic -- As countries and local governments begin cautious steps toward reopening the parts of society that have been shut down by the coronavirus outbreak, various types of barriers are going up in places where people interact regularly. Schools, restaurants, workplaces, and shops have installed plexiglass shields and plastic curtains, tents, and screens as measures to prevent the spread of the virus, leading to a new social landscape of clear-plastic barriers. Some nursing homes have been using chambers with plastic walls that keep visitors separate, yet allow much-needed contact. Collected, from recent weeks, some views of our new plastic-separated world.

With tourists gone, Amsterdam locals reclaim their city

'Exceedingly rare' cognac from 1762 fetches $146,000 at auction

Warrants describe nightmarish child abuse case in Tennessee

California GOP lawmaker loses duties after harassment found

PG&E nears end of bankruptcy amid persisting safety worries

3000.jpeg

In this April 13, 2020, photo provided by TC Energy, construction contractors for TC Energy are seen installing a section of the Keystone XL crude oil pipeline at the U.S.-Canada border north of Glasgow, Mont. U.S. District Judge Brian Morris has struck down a nationwide permitting program for new oil and gas pipelines in a lawsuit against the controversial Keystone XL oil sands pipeline from Canada. (TC Energy via AP)

Court rejects bid to revive cancelled US pipeline program

The World’s Most Influential Energy Model Needs a Climate Update -- Open letter accuses the International Energy Agency of marginalizing key climate goals

When a woman said she saw a wolverine on a Washington state beach, a wildlife official didn't believe

A looming plague -- The fight to contain a locust invasion that could push millions into hunger

Jonathan Steingard, Christian singer, reveals he no longer believes in God -- Does that mean you'll stop writing and recording praise music? Thank you.

With a gay protagonist, Pixar short ‘Out’ makes history

Boston Marathon canceled for 1st time in 124-year history

5315596_orig.png

Associated Press file photo

Drive-in movie theaters are making a comeback thanks to coronavirus

15 Best Eye Creams That Really Work, Tested by Skin Scientists -- Say goodbye to dark circles, puffiness, and bags.

All about Section 230, a rule that made the modern internet

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5
On 5/27/2020 at 10:13 AM, Cupid Stunt said:

10 Designers From Pratt Institute’s Class of 2020 Share Their Work—And Their Thoughts on Change

Thanks for posting that. I went to that school. It sure has changed a lot.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

Re: The stimulus - I got mine direct deposit on April 15th. I had already filed my taxes this year. I go to an accountant and I know that in my state it's a law that if you use an accountant they have to file electronically for you. So those reasons could be why mine was faster. And thank you all for the info on the debit card. My old mother will be getting that and I could see her adding it to her mountain of junk mail that she will one day maybe possibly perhaps read. I just called her and told her what you guys said.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, SweePea59 said:

Re: The stimulus - I got mine direct deposit on April 15th. I had already filed my taxes this year. I go to an accountant and I know that in my state it's a law that if you use an accountant they have to file electronically for you. So those reasons could be why mine was faster. And thank you all for the info on the debit card. My old mother will be getting that and I could see her adding it to her mountain of junk mail that she will one day maybe possibly perhaps read. I just called her and told her what you guys said.

Your mother does that too? When we had to put dad into care, we went to start working on his house. The first thing we did was go through all of his mail, which was piled on every surface in the kitchen. On the island, the peninsula, the breakfast table and even in the sink. I'm surprised he hadn't started shoving it into the dishwasher. You really have to keep an eye on them. He maxed out one of his credit cards and couldn't understand why it kept getting declined. He tried to use his Safeway card to pay for gas. He was giving thousands of dollars to a political party he hated all his life. And anything to do with veterans, animals, orphans, rare diseases, basically any shady scammer could get him to pull out his credit card with a sob story. Once he thought he was going to get five million dollars, all he had to do was give them five thousand dollars and the millions would be his. He would have done it too if his bank hadn't called me.

• Useful 1

Getting old is scary and sad. 

I spoke with the lady from the dental clinic. I have an interview Monday afternoon. We;ll see how it goes. I'm a tad annoyed I'll have to go over my notes and study up a bit on their clinic on my birthday weekend. I had just wanted to relax. Meh. 

• Love 4
(edited)
42 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

Getting old is scary and sad. 

I spoke with the lady from the dental clinic. I have an interview Monday afternoon. We;ll see how it goes. I'm a tad annoyed I'll have to go over my notes and study up a bit on their clinic on my birthday weekend. I had just wanted to relax. Meh. 

Happy Birthday! You could look at it like getting a good job as a present. Of course, if you don't like the place you don't have to take the job. But a little financial security wouldn't come amiss. 💲

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Thank you for the early birthday wishes. It's on Sunday 😄

Happy early birthday ️ princess! I’m a Gemini moon so 👯 always have a soft spot for you and most liking or attraction for your team.

Shit is fucking crazy rn if anyone is protesting or close to the protesting - stay safe. I think since it made a new curfew enforced in MN other cities will follow suit. I live in IL and Chicagoland which has been extremely cautious with the current regimes so expecting it. OT at work some coworkers actually one who’s been picking on me and another who I sus took my AirPods 😭 were blasting their religion to me at work, I actually find it out of place and inappropriate to bring up religion and politics in the workplace. I can guarantee people won’t like my views on both and my stance on veganism... also not to mention the entire hypocrisy of them spouting it with aggression or some sense of superiority inspite of being problematic individuals. What even is this world? 2020 is very strange and I actually hate it and think a lot of bad shit will happen before it’s over.  

• Love 7

BB14MBqw.img?h=534&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

A line of almost all white women formed between police officers and black protesters at Thursday night's rally in downtown Louisville calling for justice in the death of Breonna Taylor. © Tim Druck 

Viral photo shows line of white people between police, black protesters at Thursday rally  -- Related: Breonna Taylor protest in Louisville draws hundreds; at least 7 shot. Here's what we know

Sacramento County opens file on death of unarmed black man

I've posted this article before, but it bears repeating:  For cops who kill, special Supreme Court protection -- The U.S. high court’s continual refinement of an obscure legal doctrine has made it harder to hold police accountable when accused of using excessive force.

'How are we here again?' Black America on edge after police killing of George Floyd

Former MPD Officer Derek Chauvin In Custody, Charged With 3rd Degree Murder In George Floyd’s Death -- Related: Derek Chauvin in custody; other 3 Minneapolis officers lie low

George Floyd and Derek Chauvin once worked overlapping security shifts at the same nightclub

Pentagon ready to send troops to Minneapolis if state asks -- Related: Cities brace for increasing unrest, call in National Guard

Minneapolis overwhelmed again by protests over Floyd death -- Related: Leaders say riot damage not caused by Minnesotans

Hexagon Bar destroyed, Turf Club flooded during overnight rioting 

1000.jpeg

Police officers and protesters clash near CNN center, Friday, May 29, 2020 in Atlanta. The protest started peacefully earlier in the day before demonstrators clashed with police. (AP Photo/Mike Stewart)

Associated Press PHOTOS: Rage in Minneapolis after George Floyd's death -- Related: Associated Press Coverage: George Floyd

CNN Live Updates - George Floyd protests spread nationwide

Reuters Photos - Sat May 30, 2020 - Protests rage in Minneapolis over police killing of George Floyd

In rescue effort, Fed has broad stake in corporate America's fortunes

The highest-paid CEOs by state

BB14MrWe.img?h=503&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

George Washington is seen with printed medical mask on the one Dollar banknotes in this illustration taken, March 31, 2020. REUTERS/© Dado Ruvic 

$1,200 checks? $450 bonuses? The latest on the next coronavirus lifeline

American spending collapsed by a record 13.6% in April

35 Bulk Buys That Are Cheaper at the Dollar Store Than Costco

The pandemic isn’t over. But America sure seems over it.

These 24 States Have Uncontrolled Coronavirus Outbreaks, Study Says -- Related: Imperial College Covid-19 Response Team: State-level tracking of Covid-19 in The United States

Hospital begins limited visitation amid Oklahoma reopening

CDC and WHO offer conflicting advice on masks. An expert tells us why.

CDC chief defends failure to spot early coronavirus spread in U.S.

1000.jpeg

In this photo taken and released by Chinese nurse Zhang Dan, she poses for a photo with colleagues at the Wuhan Pulmonary Hospital in Wuhan in central China's Hubei province, Friday, April 4, 2020. Zhang was among the first to respond to the call for help in China's coronavirus epicenter. The 36-year-old nurse worked through grueling days, ministering to patients who needed assistance from breathing to merely eating. She struggled — but then, a little street dog helped her through. (Zhang Dan via AP)

Street dog helps see Chinese nurse through virus traumas

This incredibly popular store is one of the hardest to socially distance in

Every Single Worker Has Covid at One U.S. Farm on Eve of Harvest -- Outbreak in Tennessee reveals virus spread across U.S. farms. Farmhands work at grave risk and harvests are threatened

Masks on Leatherneck Square: Virus changes Marine training

Person who attended Lake of the Ozarks Memorial Day gathering tests positive for coronavirus

U.S. high court rejects church challenges to state pandemic rules

Virus-Outbreak-Germany-2.jpg?w=620

Hamburg,  Germany

Tennessee to halt sharing COVID-19 patient data

Too soon for data, California reopens more businesses -- Related: Saturated hospitals, airlifts as California border region virus cases surge

The world's new Covid-19 epicenter could be the worst yet

How Vietnam managed to keep its coronavirus death toll at zero

South African bans on tobacco, liquor amid virus stir debate

On the Black Sea, Georgia rebrands as a holiday haven from the pandemic

Testing Is Key to Beating Coronavirus, Right? Japan Has Other Ideas

Monkeys steal coronavirus blood samples in India -- Oops!

Study shows 10 times more New Yorkers had Covid-19 by April than previously counted

U.S. hospitals pull back on the use of hydroxychloroquine

One in 10 Covid-19 patients with diabetes die within a week, study finds

800.jpeg

In this Dec. 17, 2019, file photo provided by Xinhua News Agency, the Shandong aircraft carrier is docked at a naval port in Sanya in southern China's Hainan Province. China’s Defense Ministry said Friday, May 29, 2020, the navy’s only entirely home-built aircraft is carrying out sea trials to test weapons and equipment and enhance training of the crew. (Li Gang/Xinhua via AP, File)

China home-built aircraft carrier conducting sea trials

Associated Press Explains: What’s behind latest India-China border tension

Probe: Top US official misused office to get son-in-law job

A new civil lawsuit alleges Harvey Weinstein raped a 17-year-old in the 1990s

Epstein estate, victims reach agreement on compensation fund

A woman kept her grandmother's body hidden in a basement freezer for 16 years in social security scheme, police say

Denmark residents sue over laws for dismantling ‘ghettos’

sakka_rep_19th_may_b7a532576be3c825fa903

Satellite imagery of a wildfire in Siberia, Russia above the arctic circle on May 19, 2020 -- Copernicus Sentinel/Sentinel Hub/Pierre Markuse

Climate concerns as Siberia experiences record-breaking heat -- Heat wave sparks concerns about devastating wildfire season and melting permafrost.

Iran says it will continue nuclear work despite US sanctions

Environmentalists lose bid to halt uranium mine in Arizona

Massachusetts sees 'dramatic uptick' in eagle nests including first on Cape Cod in 115 years

Ms. Jennifer, a 53-year-old tortoise, has found a new home after her owner died of Covid-19

Dumbo! -- World's deepest octopus, complete with Dumbo ears, captured on film 4 miles below the surface

50 Worst Ways to Lose Weight

This One Type of Restaurant Is Disappearing the Fastest

Exclusive: Zoom plans to roll out strong encryption for paying customers -- Users have to pay for encryption? Less and less appealing.

tag:reuters.com,2020:newsml_LYNXMPEG4S0Y

Mila Contreras-Godfrey, Katie Reisig, Gwyn McLear and Melina Bertsekas, high school seniors graduating from Beaver Country Day School, walk through Larz Anderson Park while posing for photographs for Reuters in their prom dresses, after prom was cancelled due to the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak, in Brookline, Massachusetts, U.S. May 22, 2020. REUTERS/Faith Ninivaggi

All dressed up, no prom to go to

Perfectly preserved ancient Roman mosaic floor discovered in Italy

Drive-in concerts may be the answer to the summer shows you're missing

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)

I hope you all had a great Saturday!  Weather here was just beautiful, after a few hot days with high humidity.  We spent the day power washing our deck and patio.  It took 5 hours total and gave me a "farmer tan" on my arms!  We used to do this every year and, for whatever reason, stopped.  We can't even remember the last time we did it!  We have Trex decking with vinyl rails and the amount of dirt and crud on both was unbelievable.......Maryland has had a ton of rain over the past few years, which probably doesn't help.  Anyhow, I feel like we have a new deck now!

I saw The Rossen Report this evening.  Every night it's been on this past week, people are asking about the stimulus checks and when they'll receive.  A new tidbit came out today.....apparently, they are sending the stimulus based on your annual income, starting with the lowest income and working their way up.  It's the first time I'd ever heard that!   No mention of debit cards, though, but instead, another reference to checks.....and how there is a holdup on the checks and that they won't be out until maybe September?  So confusing....and doesn't have to be.

• Love 6
(edited)

George+Floyd+Mural.jpg

(Scott Takushi /Pioneer Press)

There's a beautiful George Floyd mural at 38th & Chicago -- As Minneapolis aches, protests, riots, and argues over the death of George Floyd, a small bit of artistic healing emerged where he died under a police officer's knee. 

Violent protests are not the story. Police violence is. The protests will eventually end. -- The protests will eventually end. But state-sanctioned violence against black Americans won’t.

`Death By Racism’: Part of America’s DNA from the start?

Racial inequality in Minneapolis is among the worst in the nation

With covenants, racism was written into Minneapolis housing. The scars are still visible. -- Related: When Minneapolis Segregated -- In the early 1900s, racial housing covenants in the Minnesota city blocked home sales to minorities, establishing patterns of inequality that persist today.

Mapping Prejudice -- Visualizing the hidden histories of race and privilege in the urban landscape

What we know about the nationwide protests over George Floyd’s death -- Protests erupted in Minneapolis, Atlanta, Detroit, and around the country.

Feds flew an unarmed Predator drone over Minneapolis protests to provide “situational awareness” -- The US has a long history of surveilling protesters, but the technology used to do so has grown more powerful. -- Not to ignore monitoring social media posts for potential confrontations ... You are a presumed criminal in a surveillance society. -- Related: US agency calls back drone it sent to Minnesota

Before Floyd death, activists saw progress on police reforms

1000.jpeg

A protester carries a U.S. flag upside down, a sign of distress, next to a burning building Thursday, May 28, 2020, in Minneapolis. Protests over the death of George Floyd, a black man who died in police custody Monday, broke out in Minneapolis for a third straight night. (AP Photo/Julio Cortez) -- Associated Press photo of flag-bearing protester rockets around the world

George Floyd death: Why has a US city gone up in flames? -- Related: Protests in Minneapolis and nationwide following George Floyd’s death -- The uprisings sparked a national conversation about race and policing in America.

National Guard called in to quell violence in Los Angeles -- Related: Here’s what the National Guard can and can’t do during the George Floyd uprising -- Minnesota’s governor activated the state’s National Guard to “help provide security and restore safety.”

The Minnesota Freedom Fund is all over Twitter. Here’s what it does. -- How a Twitter campaign to help Minneapolis protesters may also help reform America’s unfair bail system.

How the Supreme Court enabled police to use deadly chokeholds -- When the Supreme Court turns its back on injustice, there are consequences

Charged Minneapolis cop used ‘overkill’ tactics as nightclub guard

Wife of Derek Chauvin, officer charged with murder in George Floyd's death, files for divorce

DA: Bad time to drop charge of ex-cop in black man’s death

GettyImages_1216237096.0.jpg

People gather to protest in outrage after the death of George Floyd, the recent deaths of Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor and other victims of police brutality, in Boston, Massachusetts, on May 29 - Joseph Prezioso/AFP/Getty Images

Thousands of Americans across the US are peacefully marching against police violence

Vicarious racism: You don't have to be the target to be harmed

Another night of chaos and fury as protesters come out despite curfews

Authorities suspect white supremacists and far-left extremists are behind violence at protests

-- Related: Outsiders, extremists are among those fomenting violence in Twin Cities

2000.jpeg

Associated Press PHOTOS: Images from protests across a traumatized nation

Appeals for Calm as Sprawling Protests Threaten to Spiral Out of Control -- Related: An emotional Gov. Newsom talks privilege, race amid protests

Watch: Killer Mike urges protesters to “plot, plan, strategize, organize and mobilize” -- The rapper and activist spoke about organizing to combat police violence.

Cities Racked by Another Night of Violent Protests

What we’re missing when we condemn “violence” at protests -- What news coverage does, and doesn’t show about unrest in Minneapolis and Louisville.

Journalists covering protests face assault and arrest -- Related: “Directly at us”: Louisville law enforcement shoots reporters with pepper bullets -- Arrests, shootings, and harassment of journalists are features of the George Floyd

CNN crew released from police custody after they were arrested live on air in Minneapolis -- Related: Arresting reporters at a protest is an affront to the First Amendment

1000.jpeg

Law enforcement officers amassed along Lake Street near Hiawatha Ave. as fires burned after a night of unrest and protests in the death of George Floyd early Friday, May 29, 2020 in Minneapolis. Floyd died after being restrained by Minneapolis police officers on Memorial Day. (David Joles/Star Tribune via AP)

US faith leaders wrestle twin traumas in protests, virus

Social distancing strictures fall away as crowds gather to party and protest

Court: California agencies can’t charge to edit police video

Divert weapons funding to research to prevent next pandemic, pope says -- Hmm.

Can the "new normal" ever go back to the old one?

Why 15 US states suddenly made masks mandatory -- America’s 180 on masks, explained.

Facemasks through the ages, from medical aid to fashion statement

BB14tG3M.img?h=0&w=720&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=f&

Star © Photo provided by Best Life 

Meet the Six Dogs Being Trained to Sniff Out Coronavirus

Snapshot: Life on L.A.’s Skid Row during the pandemic

Florida’s Seen a ‘Statistically Significant’ Uptick in Pneumonia Deaths. The CDC Says It’s Likely COVID.

US workers face an unequal future when virus recedes

Oh great, now we’re running out of bikes -- Demand for bikes is surging, but the supply chain is still catching up.

Divided Supreme Court still gives guidance on virus-related worship restrictions -- Related: N.J. churches sue governor over pandemic restrictions as coronavirus continues to sicken and kill

A Texas Supreme Court decision could disenfranchise millions during the pandemic

BB14Or9i.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=

A open sign is seen on Clacton beach, in Clacton-on-sea, England, on May 30 - © Andrew Boyers/Reuters

Global coronavirus cases surpass 6 million

Pangolins may have incubated the novel coronavirus, gene study shows

Wealthiest Hospitals Got Billions in Bailout for Struggling Health Providers

Why millions of Americans are getting coronavirus stimulus payments on scammy-looking debit cards -- The federal government is sending out financial aid that looks like junk mail.

A third of Americans report anxiety or depression symptoms during the pandemic -- Young adults are experiencing the highest rates of mental health strain during the pandemic, according to new CDC data.

Schools issue warning: Coronavirus testing and tracing are needed before campuses reopen  -- Related: School lunch programs are losing millions feeding hungry kids. They could be broke by fall

Stationery company distributes school supplies to kids in need

Get ready for higher prices at the grocery store

1000.jpeg

Protesters gesture with five fingers, signifying the "Five demands - not one less" in a shopping mall during a protest against China's national security legislation for the city, in Hong Kong, Friday, May 29, 2020. The British government says t it will grant hundreds of thousands of Hong Kong residents greater visa rights if China doesn't scrap a planned new security law for the semi-autonomous territory. U.K. Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab said about 300,000 people in Hong Kong who hold British National (Overseas) passports will be able to stay in Britain for 12 months rather than the current six. (AP Photo/Kin Cheung)

Protest in Hong Kong over China’s move to pass security law 

BB14uAJl.img?h=533&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

Eshan Hilal from Delhi is India’s first professional male belly dancer. An accomplished performer, choreographer and fashion model, the 27-year-old is a rare male exponent of a dance form that is traditionally performed by women. Photo: Courtesy Eshan Hilal

How India’s first male professional belly dancer, Eshan Hilal, overcame prejudice to become a star

"We Are One" presents a free global film festival online

SpaceX finally sent humans to space. What happens next? -- Privately owned orbital human spaceflights are here. A new era of commercialized space travel begins. -- Will the Space Force enforcement be dependent on Elon Musk?

Stanley Ho's escape to Macao in World War II laid the foundation for his fortune. But it wasn't without controversy

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 7

Shits pretty crazy here. Besides the curfew, they shut down public transportation, and leaving the city or entering it is limited now only to residents or essential workers and places in the nearest burbs also enforcing it and closing early. CVS which is 24 hours 365 has closed and blocked its windows in places even 30 minutes out of the city. Northbrook Court and Old Orchard which only opened yesterday at noon already are closed mid day and have cops protecting the closed entrances for looters.  For context these places are not in city limits but affluent suburbs. I went to Jewel (a grocery store) and a woman stopped me in lot and told me to hurry and grab what I could they were closing immediately. This shit is no joke. I’ve been watching so many live streams and feeds on the ground in respective cities and Chicago but now they’ve almost all stopped due to scramblers. 

On a more positive note I helped make some nice moments today with residents. One I’ve been making ice cream deserts from scratch but sugar free or “nice cream” another saw her grand kids and daughter in person (from a very large social distance and allow wearing masks) on our lawn. When I mentioned it was now a possibility (since we’re in 3rd phase) her granddaughters lit up like “we REALLY want this!” and when she came down and I told her she can come outside and visit w them at distance tears came to her eyes... she told me they don’t have PPE I said I gave them fresh PPE it’s been 2.5 months and she’s very hard of hearing so talking even at a distance and in the sunlight was better than phone via window or FaceTime. I visited with a resident in her condo and met her cat. She had an issue with her food order so I brought a new dinner to her and we visited a bit. I think actually the person who gave me her order messed up but she has v early onset dementia and I’ve learned this is important because it can make people upset, doubt themselves, or fixate on these things later on. People who’ve had these things happen later on fixate on food issues or slights and the memories are valid but each time thereafter it recalls the emotion or is triggering from what I understand so should be avoided. One resident I’m pretty close too and care for a lot who is in a decline repeats a routine with her eating each day multiple x so probably early on something happened where someone forgot her preference because she has anxiety over it a lot or is re-experiencing it. 

• Love 8

Thank you everyone for the birthday wishes! It was a nice, uneventful day. Just like I like it. No gifts or cards other than from my mother. Gramps made manicotti for lunch and brother and cousin came to pick up their share to eat at home. There was no cake. Gramps wants to wait until we can gather. I guess we'll have cake for my 42nd birthday, heh. I actually bought myself a nice piece of strawberry cheesecake at the Italian bakery next door for myself. My uncle in Toronto and oldest friend both called to wish me happy birthday. And, I entered the Destination Fear scavenger hunt for the third week in a row and won a t-shirt so yay. 

Snap, I love the birds and that made me smile. 

Petunia, thank you for the video. It sounds like a stressful time where you are so take care of yourself. Also, I think it's wonderful how kind and empathetic you are with the patients. They're lucky to have you around. 

I have my interview tomorrow at 3:30 PM downtown. It'll be the first time riding the bus and metro since mid-March. Hopefully all goes well. I've been a little sneezy the past couple of days and mildly congested but hopefully it's just allergies. 

• Love 12

I have my interview tomorrow at 3:30 PM downtown. It'll be the first time riding the bus and metro since mid-March. Hopefully all goes well. I've been a little sneezy the past couple of days and mildly congested but hopefully it's just allergies.

Be safe my friend. We're sending you all the best thoughts and hopes for your success. ❤️

• Love 9
4 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

Shits pretty crazy here. Besides the curfew, they shut down public transportation, and leaving the city or entering it is limited now only to residents or essential workers and places in the nearest burbs also enforcing it and closing early. CVS which is 24 hours 365 has closed and blocked its windows in places even 30 minutes out of the city. Northbrook Court and Old Orchard which only opened yesterday at noon already are closed mid day and have cops protecting the closed entrances for looters.  For context these places are not in city limits but affluent suburbs. I went to Jewel (a grocery store) and a woman stopped me in lot and told me to hurry and grab what I could they were closing immediately. This shit is no joke. I’ve been watching so many live streams and feeds on the ground in respective cities and Chicago but now they’ve almost all stopped due to scramblers. 

On a more positive note I helped make some nice moments today with residents. One I’ve been making ice cream deserts from scratch but sugar free or “nice cream” another saw her grand kids and daughter in person (from a very large social distance and allow wearing masks) on our lawn. When I mentioned it was now a possibility (since we’re in 3rd phase) her granddaughters lit up like “we REALLY want this!” and when she came down and I told her she can come outside and visit w them at distance tears came to her eyes... she told me they don’t have PPE I said I gave them fresh PPE it’s been 2.5 months and she’s very hard of hearing so talking even at a distance and in the sunlight was better than phone via window or FaceTime. I visited with a resident in her condo and met her cat. She had an issue with her food order so I brought a new dinner to her and we visited a bit. I think actually the person who gave me her order messed up but she has v early onset dementia and I’ve learned this is important because it can make people upset, doubt themselves, or fixate on these things later on. People who’ve had these things happen later on fixate on food issues or slights and the memories are valid but each time thereafter it recalls the emotion or is triggering from what I understand so should be avoided. One resident I’m pretty close too and care for a lot who is in a decline repeats a routine with her eating each day multiple x so probably early on something happened where someone forgot her preference because she has anxiety over it a lot or is re-experiencing it. 

You are amazing @Petunia13.

Thank you for being such a great soul and providing such great care to people who need it.

When it all comes down to it, this is what is the most important thing in life, caring for others.

• Love 10
8 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I have my interview tomorrow at 3:30 PM downtown. It'll be the first time riding the bus and metro since mid-March. Hopefully all goes well. I've been a little sneezy the past couple of days and mildly congested but hopefully it's just allergies. 

Good LUCK! I hope it goes GREAT 😊 

• Love 7
(edited)

1000.jpeg

In this photo taken with a wide angle lens, demonstrators sit in an intersection during a protest over the death of George Floyd, Saturday, May 30, 2020, in Los Angeles. Protests were held in U.S. cities over the death of Floyd, a black man who died after being restrained by Minneapolis police officers on May 25. (AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill)

CNN Live Updates: George Floyd protests spread nationwide

New York Times Live: George Floyd Protest Updates and Video

Associated Press News Updates: America Protests

US heads into a new week shaken by violence and pandemic

History, right now: Echoes of 1968, and other American years

Grand juries, explained

Floyd Probe Echoes Barr's Oversight of Rodney King Case

Dozens of cities across the country are imposing curfews. Do they work? -- Experts say curfews could backfire. Here’s why. -- Related: How Curfews Have Changed Through History

Why America can't return to policing as 'normal'

684bfc15-e9b6-41a7-9ab8-449d49b7ee43.jpe

Washington State Police using tear gas in Seattle -- Jason Redmond/Getty Images

Police Erupt in Violence Nationwide

Cops Kill Because We Gave Them The Legal Framework to Do It -- Rather than burning and looting, protesters should turn their ire on lawmakers and judges who facilitate police immunity.

The Police Don’t Change -- Police chiefs may have condemned the killing of George Floyd, but the actions of their officers since show that nothing’s shifted

There’s Nothing Confusing Here

George Floyd’s killing has opened the wounds of centuries of American racism -- George Floyd’s killing and the ensuing protests, explained. -- Related: The anger behind the protests, explained in 4 charts -- Police killings have trended upward in recent years — and black men are more likely to be killed.

Unrest devastates a city’s landmark street of diversity -- Related: Businesses damaged in Minneapolis and St. Paul after riots -- A look at Twin Cities businesses hit hard since Wednesday by looting and rioting following the Memorial Day death of George Floyd

Protests force Target, CVS and Walmart to close some stores -- Related: Retailers already hit by coronavirus board up as U.S. protests rage

These black men's experiences were caught on camera, spurring anger and action

Use of force criticized in protests about police brutality

Open season on the free press: Journalists targeted in attacks as U.S. protests rage

1000.jpeg

Protesters toppled the statue of Edward Carmack outside the state Capitol after a peaceful demonstration turned violent, Sunday, May 31, 2020, in Nashville, Tenn. Carmack was a politician in the early 1900s who wrote editorials lambasting the writings of prominent Tennessee civil rights journalist Ida B. Wells. He was fatally shot in 1908 by a political rival. (AP Photo/Kimberlee Kruesi)

Nashville protesters set fires, topple controversial statue

AP Interview: Floyd’s death opens old wounds for Sefolosha

While tensions between police and protesters boiled over in some cities, other officers joined the movement

Officials see extremist groups, disinformation in protests

Groceries, not guns: Guard challenge includes misinformation

World’s reaction to US weaves solidarity, calls to change

Romantic Conservativism -- The Myth of Henry Kissinger -- Nixon’s Secretary of State was a far less remarkable figure than his supporters, his critics, and he himself, believed.

The ACLU sues Clearview AI, calling the tool an 'unprecedented violation' of privacy rights -- Related: The Secretive Company That Might End Privacy as We Know It and ‘Lead to a Dystopian Future’

1000.jpeg

In this May 27, 2020, photo provided by the National Park Service, Yosemite Valley School, lower right, stands in Yosemite National Park, Calif. In the background is Upper Yosemite Falls. The school, the only one inside the 1,200-sq. mile (3,100-sq. kilometer) Yosemite park, shut its doors in mid-March due to the coronavirus pandemic like others across America and class has been convening online. But the pandemic hasn't stopped the presses on the school year's last edition of "The Yosemite Eye," a publication that has so charmed its community it boasts a circulation of nearly 5,000 copies. (Jamie Richards/National Park Service via AP)

Dispatches from Yosemite: Alone with the bears and beauty

Locals take back tourist-free Waikiki during pandemic

People more important than the economy, pope says about Covid crisis

Evictions loom as state freezes on rent payments expire

1000.jpeg

Reverend William Taylor, top left, and local people standing with social distancing observe a 30 second silence during a remembrance event as they add the names of five people who recently died to the community "We Grieve" wall at Clapton Common, in London, Thursday, May 28, 2020. The "WE GRIEVE″ wall has become a focal point for people who gather Thursdays to remember those who have died during the coronavirus pandemic, and organizer Rev. William Taylor says that the community found that there was a need just to stand together to grieve.(AP Photo/Matt Dunham)

Mass gatherings, erosion of trust upend coronavirus control -- Related: US cities fear protests may fuel new wave of virus outbreaks

How the Pandemic May Have Readied Us for This Protest -- Mask-wearing used to read as disobedient. Now it reads as dutiful and protective.

Many states scrambling to update hurricane plans for virus

Virus taking hold in rural, old plantation region of Alabama

Washington recovers $300M in fraudulent unemployment claims

Infected workers, parts shortages slow auto factory restarts

1000.jpeg

In this file photo taken on Sunday, May 10, 2020, Grave diggers wearing personal protective suits carry a coffin while burying a COVID-19 victim in the special purpose for coronavirus victims section of a cemetery in Kolpino, outside St.Petersburg, Russia. The Russian government on Friday May 29, 2020, released updated coronavirus statistics to include deaths of those who tested positive but died of other causes. (AP Photo/Dmitri Lovetsky, File)

After criticism, Russia expands stats on virus-linked deaths

Stranded in paradise: Hundreds of sailors stuck in Pacific

The ’Non-Essential’ Business Owners Who Went Underground

Was Your Cold in December Actually Coronavirus? The CDC Has the Answer

15 Scary After Effects of Coronavirus Everyone Should Know -- Doctors are just now discovering how damaging the virus can be.

Nursing Homes Fought Federal Emergency Plan Requirements for Years. Now, They’re Coronavirus Hot Spots. -- The long-term care industry resisted a federal mandate to plan for disasters including pandemics. About 43% of nursing homes have been caught violating the requirement, including facilities that have now had deadly COVID-19 outbreaks.

FDA finds contamination in several brands of diabetes drug

Vatican centralizes contracting to cut waste, corruption

The unluckiest generation in U.S. history

Deadly Tropical Storm Amanda hits El Salvador, Guatemala

Necco Wafers make their triumphant return 2 years after the factory that made them closed its doors

Adidas and Allbirds are teaming up to create a shoe with zero carbon footprint

Music Industry Calling for a 'Blackout' in Response to George Floyd's Death

US's only private island available for buyouts starting at $250,000

d3e69d17252c15d99d5179b10d94220e.jpg

The Gates, Central Park, New York City 2005

Christo, who made monumental art around the world, has died at 84

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 6
14 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

Los Angeles is a madhouse too. I had to have the district office and outlier stations boarded up, with security personnel to cover the 12 hour curfew.  Overnight talent and engineers were upset, and I stayed to cover for the people who didn't make it. The owners of the panadería across the street stayed to protect their storefront; lovely people, we had hot food overnight. Gracias, Mamá Theresa. 

The tension and uncertainty is wearing.

You're doing God's work, Petunia.

MIL Stunt had a bad weekend; higher, sustained fever, increased congestion, broken capillaries just under the skin, weight loss, painful joints. I drove over after curfew to sit with FIL Stunt. She's uncomfortable and restive. He's miserable and exhausted. I had one of the nurse's check him; elevated blood pressure, no sleep, not eating, generally run down. SIL took him to the doctor's office. The doctor made a nursing schedule for him; shortened hours with MIL, exercise, meals, sleep. 

<sigh>

• Love 6

Oh Cupid. Speaking of exhaustion, you must be right on the verge. Please take as good care of yourself as you do others. I know you are like Wonder Woman but you are not Wonder Woman. Your'e human too, please get some rest. We love and don't want anything to happen to you. 💞

• Love 10

Okay guys, so the interview went well. It was in English and French with the main dentist and the dental manager. I told them I would let them know tomorrow if I want the job.

Here are my issues.

1. The other secretary has to leave by 5 PM to pick her kids up from daycare. So I would need to stay later. Monday until 7:30, Tuesday through Thursday until 6:30 and Friday until 4:30. I'm not thrilled about finishing so late but that seems to be most dental hours. And I can start later.

2. I am replacing a woman who can't find daycare for her kids. And she's not sure if she will be back in September. So, I'm guaranteed work for three months but after that we don't know which sucks.

The thought of leaving two jobs for something that might not be permanent sucks. But then again nothing is permanent. And right now I'm not working either job so this might be a good time to give it a try without having to quit anything right away. I mean maybe after two weeks I will hate it but then I can always quit and not have to worry about being unemployed when I'm still technically hired by two employers.

Also, it is experience which I do need. But ah, I don't know.

• Love 9

Some things to consider:  1.  Are you comfortable with the measures they have in place to ensure your (and everybody's) safety?  2.  Is the pay more than you are receiving from your unemployment benefits?  3. What is your gut telling you?  

Don't laugh at #3!  My gut is very rarely wrong.  When I ignore my gut and listen to my stupid brain, I usually regret it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

They are following government guidelines and seem confidant. I think the guidelines should be okay, but I won't know until I start and can see for myself.

Right now I am getting CERB. The third period runs out June 6. I can apply for one more period. CERB is paying me $2000 a month. I would make like twenty bucks more working.

My gut during the interview was telling me they seemed like lovely people. They say their patients are mainly long time patients who trust them. The clinic was founded in 1984. But, my gut did drop when she mentioned after three months it was unclear. I don't want to quit a job for a job that might not be able to keep me or give me more than a day a week. 

God I hate being indecisive. Then again, with the pandemic, everything is up in the air. For all we know, there might be a second wave, and we might have to close again in three months.

• Love 9

Well, like you said, you don't technically have to quit your other jobs right now.  Maybe you should just accept the job and see how it goes.  If your other jobs don't call you back once your CERB runs out, you wouldn't have any income.  It does seem unfair that they can't make any promises beyond September.  They should have mentioned that it was potentially a temporary position before you even went for the interview.  But...there is a possibility, no...a probability that they will love you as much as we do!  They may decide to keep you on no matter what happens with the person you are replacing. 

• Love 9