Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

(edited)
23 hours ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

If any of you are in California where the 6.4 quake hit, I hope you and those you love are safe

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-earthquake-california-shake-quake-20190704-story.html

We were at the parade grounds saddling very spooky horses when we felt the earthquake. Ridgecrest is south of Independence by about 100 miles. My mother said she lost some glassware and a couple of pictures fell off the wall. It's been impossible to get through on the cell -- too much emergency traffic. My brother (volunteer firefighter) was called in shut off gas and make public welfare checks in Ridgecrest. 

In LA, there's no damage in our neighborhood, but some localized power outages in town. A 6+ earthquake is a big scare.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 13
9 hours ago, Capricasix said:

Pearlite’s in Toronto, and AFAIK there’s been no earthquakes there 😄 (unless she’s vacationing in Cali, in which case I apologize!)

Oh no, even if I might wish to go back to California!

I'm just here in TO, sweatin' with the oldies...which would more or less amount to me, I guess. Agh, classic TO summer--stink heat and a lot of humidity.

And so glad to hear Cupid et al are okay!

• LOL 5
  • Love 8

boat2.jpg

George Washington Crossing the Delaware, Children's 4th of July Parade entry 

• We saw three pair of these at the parade … Sadly, not with as trim a set of assflaps. So this article was hilarious. I thought summer was the time to wear a little as possible and offend everyone. Hot weather and dress regulations; Revolutions have started on less motivation.
  • The problem with co-opting 'queer' -- While I appreciate the goodwill and solidarity of cisgender heterosexual males and females self-identifying as "queer," it befuddles an already murky term, given the vast array of things it can mean, including gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, pansexual, gender queer, bigender, asexual, agender, nonbinary, asexual, (literally, the list can go on forever and ever), which dilutes its power and renders it almost meaningless.

190702022203-arctic-fox-03-exlarge-169.jArctic fox amazes scientists with 2,000-mile trek in 76 days-- Go, Baby, Go!

City and Colour's Dallas Green, singer/songwriter

• Love 8
17 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I think mollyb lives there too. Shout out to you guys, we need to hear from you.

I didn't know anything happened til I read it here.  Thanks for caring, tho.  I'm in Santa Rosa which is north/Sonoma wine country.  Yeah, the San Andreas runs right through here somewhere, but I didn't feel a thing.  Hope you southerners are ok!

• Love 15

^^I was so sad to hear about Mad Magazine.  Then I felt guilty because I haven't read it in years, even though it was instrumental in helping shape my worldview during my adolescence.

The elephant/cancer story is fascinating, and I just signed the petition to save Maurice the Rooster!

• Love 10
(edited)
7 hours ago, bannana said:

Another earthquake hits in the same area in Calif. 😟

https://abc11.com/ridgecrest-earthquake-reports-of-fires-calls-for-ambulances/5381347/

Yup; tremblors all day yesterday and last night. Cattle and horses were brought in to the paddocks to keep them from running off, but none of the animals settled or rested. The chickens and ducks aren't laying. Other than being skittish, not much other damage at my parents. The house in LA is okay; we have a couple of cracked windows.

We heard the China Lake Naval Weapons Base horns go off first and immediately felt the earthquake wave. You know it's bad when the cats won't go in the barn. I slept in the car with Thing 1&2.

Other Stuff:

screen-shot-2019-07-05-at-1.10.36-pm.png

Mama bear and cub roaming in Castaic, California area

GettyImages_991456038.0.jpg

Rainbow Listerine and bottles of Bud Light: what happens to the merch when Pride is over

John Lee Hooker, singer/songwriter, performing with Ry Cooder

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 14
(edited)
1 hour ago, pearlite said:

D-w_C2QWkAIWTDE.thumb.jpg.515a262749dc91ac6eb05515716025f0.jpg

Love this!  As an owner of a pair of cats, a brother and sister - Merlin is a black cat and his sister, Mimsy, is a tortie - I can attest that my health and my world be terrible without them!

IMG_20160514_094627010 (2) (360x640).jpg

Edited by lovemesomejoolery
  • Love 15
(edited)

I too know the sadness of naming a cat after the Egyptian goddess of magic and ending up with a whirling dervish instead. Although, she is also known as both Creator and Destroyer. 🧐

Edited by PatsyandEddie
coz spellin iz importunt
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 11
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

Love this!  As an owner of a pair of cats, a brother and sister - Merlin is a black cat and his sister, Mimsy, is a tortie - I can attest that my health and my world be terrible without them!

IMG_20160514_094627010 (2) (360x640).jpg

They are so beautiful!!!!

And so is your chair.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

Mimsy looks like a black cat/tortie mix--I have one too, named Gertie, who also has some tuxie in there. And we also host Blanche, who's a long-furred tortie.

• Love 11
17 minutes ago, pearlite said:

Mimsy looks like a black cat/tortie mix--I have one too, named Gertie, who also has some tuxie in there. And we also host Blanche, who's a long-furred tortie.

I have a tortie too! She is the biggest bully I've ever known Even when she was a tiny kitten, she would push our bug grey male around like it was nothing. 

Quick bunny update: The litter that was living in a burrow in our front yard is gone but the littlest one (the runt? He's tiny) is still there. He/she sleeps in the middle of the front yard all day and is not afraid of me. I worry about him/her.

• Love 7
(edited)

Both Gertie and Blanche sound like they are beauties!  This is our second tortie....our first one was gray and beige. 

Mimsy doesn't have any tuxedo on her, but when she rolls over and you see her belly, it's fantastical - she's creamy beige colored there with both leopard spots AND tiger stripes.  I don't have a picture of her belly - as you know, Torties have a mind of their own!  They're 4 years old now.  We had only ever had one cat at a time, and were devastated when we lost our 19 year old tortie, Maisy.  We swore we weren't ever going to get another cat, and three months later, ended up with these two who were born to a cat that was hanging out in my close friend's backyard.  Here they are about three or four weeks old in their crate with their momma.  I love this picture of the three of them! We weren't quite sure what Merlin, in the foreground) was going to look like as he got older.  He had coarse hair as a baby (we also thought he was a female) and just turned into the silkiest, black cat with the most laid back personality!

IMG_0049 (2) (640x478).jpg

Edited by lovemesomejoolery
  • Love 13
(edited)

I've had 5 cats in 50 years (4 black, 1 brown tabby), but since my last cat died at 22.5 last summer, I've been enjoying being able to breathe allergy-free.  So now I donate what I used to pay in vet bills to my local TNR and feline rescue society and get my daily cat/kitten fix from TinyKittens' 365/24/7 streaming (on 2 streams):

https://www.youtube.com/user/tinykittenshq

Edited by deirdra
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Do you anything about the carving on that chair? My parents have a small rocking chair with the same type of motif.

We have a couple of pieces of Victorian furniture with the Green Man motif, this chair and another, more substantial chair as well as a dining room sideboard that I've used as my dresser for 30 years.  All of them are oak. 

Here's a good article:

http://antiquesqa.blogspot.com/2016/08/the-many-faces-of-victorian-whimsy.html

• Useful 4
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

We have a couple of pieces of Victorian furniture with the Green Man motif, this chair and another, more substantial chair as well as a dining room sideboard that I've used as my dresser for 30 years.  All of them are oak. 

Here's a good article:

http://antiquesqa.blogspot.com/2016/08/the-many-faces-of-victorian-whimsy.html

Wow, that's really interesting. I had no idea the chair was so old although my mom said it was from her great grandmother. *yoink* Not going in the auction. Thanks!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7

We need an 'awwww' response icon.  Too many cute fur babies.  Casper is on the couch sleeping next to me right now.  The stray that came to stay.  Charmed his way into the house and he owns it now.  We're mere tenants.  Goes out at night (willingly) and comes and goes during the day.  I don't have to keep a litter box as he does all his bidness outside...yay!

peaches, I'm way ahead of you on the dip.  I make a half-size batch every few weeks and eat it as a dip but I also use it on baked potatoes (yumm) and put it into my deviled eggs.  Wonderful flavoring for potato salad, etc, too.  Great recipe y'all.  You oughta try it!

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
  • The Festival of Saint Fermin ends next Sunday ***Video graphic and in Spanish***

crop_very_large_array_radio_telescope_Ge

Patti Smith, Poet/Singer/Songwriter/Inspiration

• Love 10

Looking for some viewpoints here.

I never watched GL--maybe tried a few times and couldn't. That said, during the summer, I tend to try to veg out and read for diversion--traditionally, that meant movie-star bios--anything unrelated to academic/career-related reading. [Don't really read fiction]

So, long story short, in my local library there's Kim Zimmer's bio. As an actress I found her overwhelming, a bit coarse, and a screen-eater, Halfway through skimming her book, I kinda haven't changed my view of her.

What was/is her charm?

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, pearlite said:

I found her overwhelming, a bit coarse, and a screen-eater

8 minutes ago, pearlite said:

What was/is her charm?

Heh, heh, that was her charm. And I do admit I loved Reva. She was the trashy floozy aspiring for a better life. Kinda like the original Jill.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
(edited)

peaches, I'm way ahead of you on the dip.  I make a half-size batch every few weeks and eat it as a dip but I also use it on baked potatoes (yumm) and put it into my deviled eggs.  Wonderful flavoring for potato salad, etc, too.  Great recipe y'all.  You oughta try it!

And it's so easy! I don't know where I got the recipe. I used to think I got it from my aunt but she says not. It's a mystery.

Edit: My DH just told me to write it down. He doesn't want me to take it to my grave. Lol. I only make it twice a year because it's so rich.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 9

Looking for some viewpoints here.

I never watched GL--maybe tried a few times and couldn't. That said, during the summer, I tend to try to veg out and read for diversion--traditionally, that meant movie-star bios--anything unrelated to academic/career-related reading. [Don't really read fiction]

So, long story short, in my local library there's Kim Zimmer's bio. As an actress I found her overwhelming, a bit coarse, and a screen-eater, Halfway through skimming her book, I kinda haven't changed my view of her.

What was/is her charm?

I never watched GL, except maybe when I was little and my mom had it on - so I've never actually seen Kim Zimmer as Reva, but I did read her bio.  One Christmas,  a friend who knows I watch soaps (but obviously not which ones) gave me her bio for Christmas and I read it and I remember sorta enjoying it.  Right around then she appeared on OLTL for a limited run and I really got a kick out of her there, though a lot of posters really hated her.  

Her storylines that I read about on GL sure were wild!

• Love 9

@pearlite I think she was GL mashup of a Y&R Jill and Erika Kane type. It’s kinda fucked up all the great soaps are gone and only couple stragglers left. In its hey day they were a powerhouse industry and  cultural force. I still miss AMC, OLTL and Passions. I fucked w Port Charles and As The World Turns. I think people I talk w now know less and less when it used to be a BIG deal on in break rooms or sport bars bars during day or water cooler talk and I could cherry pick storylines on various shows to fan girl over. It’s not just the diminished shows and budgets, the storylines and effort have shrank on the remaining shit. Not trying to exaggerate for snark, but a ton of people even spitballing on threads here would be better head writers than the ones phoning it in on this genre. 

As those furry companions friend pictures are ❤️🤗 😍 Gorgeous! 

Not to be that person but be mindful of letting your cat out. They can kill wildlife. My tiny dog, has killed a mouse when he was loose in a fenced yard by a wood pile and jumped on and attacked a baby robin in moments 😢(I wasn’t there he had a sitter those days). Also I’ve seen cats hit by cars on roads and one dead was a neighbors they let out daily then in at night. I cried. 

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

@pearlite I think she was GL mashup of a Y&R Jill and Erika Kane type. It’s kinda fucked up all the great soaps are gone and only couple stragglers left. In its hey day they were a powerhouse industry and  cultural force. I still miss AMC, OLTL and Passions. I fucked w Port Charles and As The World Turns. I think people I talk w now know less and less when it used to be a BIG deal on in break rooms or sport bars bars during day or water cooler talk and I could cherry pick storylines on various shows to fan girl over. It’s not just the diminished shows and budgets, the storylines and effort have shrank on the remaining shit. Not trying to exaggerate for snark, but a ton of people even spitballing on threads here would be better head writers than the ones phoning it in on this genre. 

Not to be that person but be mindful of letting your cat out. They can kill wildlife. My tiny dog, has killed a mouse when he was loose in a fenced yard by a wood pile and jumped on and attacked a baby robin in moments 😢(I wasn’t there he had a sitter those days). Also I’ve seen cats hit by cars on roads and one dead was a neighbors they let out daily then in at night. I cried. 

I witnessed my next door neighbor's dog be dognapped. It was running around in the street and a guy pulled up in a car. He got out and picked up the dog, when he saw me looking st him through the window. He pointed at me like "is this your dog?" I held up a finger for him to wait and ran to the door. He was gone. I never told them because A. I speak crappy Spanish and B. What was I gonna say? "An average height, average weight white guy in a nondescript economy car grabbed up your dog."? It killed me because I saw the daughter crying at the bus stop the next morning.

4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

And it's so easy! I don't know where I got the recipe. I used to think I got it from my aunt but she says not. It's a mystery.

Edit: My DH just told me to write it down. He doesn't want me to take it to my grave. Lol. I only make it twice a year because it's so rich.

Hey I have spuds in the oven! Can ya help a gal out now that I'm craving real dip? Pretty please! 

• Love 7
1 minute ago, peacheslatour said:

Sure. You want the recipe?

Yes please!

And WTF about the dog?! That is so disturbing! My dog won't let ANYONE touch me. Not my hubby, not Dad. Nope. He will tear off a door.   

• Love 5
52 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

@pearlite I think she was GL mashup of a Y&R Jill and Erika Kane type.

That's a perfect description of Reva!  I watched that show because my mom did and then I kept up with it for awhile.  Wasn't Reva part of a Luke/Laura type romance on GL?  Wasn't his name Josh? 

No worries about my kitties going outside.  I don't let them out ever!

• Love 8
On 6/17/2019 at 10:18 PM, bannana said:

I did not realize that Cali beaches had to be accessible to everyone.  We stayed in Malibu a long time ago (the 80s) at a lovely motel which is no longer there, but it was the only way to access the beach.  Access was cut off to the public because all of those beach homes were owned by celebs and/or other wealthy people.  So this is interesting to me.

In Hawaii all State beaches, except those on military bases, must be accessible to the public.  So even you are staying in a gated upscale property, or a high end hotel, there must be public parking and access.  Most tourists don't realize this, of course, but it makes it accessible to the locals who rightly should be able to access any beach.

We get a lot of celebrities who want the beach in front of their hotel to be changed to private. Haha! Not today, JLo.

On 7/2/2019 at 9:57 AM, valleycliffe said:

smart parrots doing amazing things

My landlords recently got adopted by a feral kitty that followed them for three miles while walking their dog. She loves them and meows and meows when they are not home. The kids in the ohana downstairs have a gray parrot who learned to perfectly imitate the kitten. I cannot tell the difference. It cracks me up!

• LOL 7
  • Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

Aren't they lovely companions!

We're on the sixth floor, with patio garden and solar array access. Melvin has the run of it, and the Great Furred Hunter patrols his domain for insects ruthlessly.

Back at home to some damage; eight damaged windows (mylared and taped), 2 table lamps broken, hall and linen closet upended, set of ruby Moser dishes and box of quart canning jars broken. No structural damage that can be seen, but the city inspector is expected next week.

Mr.Stunt's business facility had minor damage (cracked windows, power outage, broken exterior planters, small stuff), and the radio stations in my division came through with frayed nerves, but no damage to speak of.

CKSU5KFA5UI6TJ3H26VYJLXT5E.jpg

Well Done USWNT!

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 12
4 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

I completely agree. They are also susceptible to infectious diseases contracted from other cats such as FIP, FIV, FeLV, URIs. And we have a lot of lovely people here who think it's fun to injure or kill cats. 

@peacheslatour I can't believe you witnessed a dognapping! What kind of evil asshole would do something like that?

Can I please have the dip recipe too?

On a brighter note, here is some cat levity and pics of Kemosabe's belly😻

https://theoatmeal.com/comics/cats_actually_kill

belly.jpeg.b4f1eae0cabd3b430373aab6500d4cbe.jpegbelly2.jpeg.262373f955cce282c9f74d1c9ea2047d.jpeg

• Love 11
(edited)
4 hours ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

That's a perfect description of Reva!  I watched that show because my mom did and then I kept up with it for awhile.  Wasn't Reva part of a Luke/Laura type romance on GL?  Wasn't his name Josh? 

No worries about my kitties going outside.  I don't let them out ever!

Yes, it was Josh, but I don’t think they were like Luke and Laura - Josh never raped Reva, as far as I can remember. She was something like our Sharon in that she went through the male members of the Lewis family (Josh, Josh’s dad HB, and his brother Billy) while Josh was always her true love.

The wonderful Michelle Forbes was on GL for a while also. She played Sonni/Solita, who was paired with Josh while Reva was off the show (IIRC).

Edited by Capricasix
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8
9 hours ago, boes said:

I never watched GL, except maybe when I was little and my mom had it on - so I've never actually seen Kim Zimmer as Reva, but I did read her bio.  One Christmas,  a friend who knows I watch soaps (but obviously not which ones) gave me her bio for Christmas and I read it and I remember sorta enjoying it.  Right around then she appeared on OLTL for a limited run and I really got a kick out of her there, though a lot of posters really hated her.  

Her storylines that I read about on GL sure were wild!

Wasn't she Echo?  Or do I have that wrong?

• Love 4
(edited)
15 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:
  • The Festival of Saint Fermin ends next Sunday ***Video graphic and in Spanish***

crop_very_large_array_radio_telescope_Ge

Patti Smith, Poet/Singer/Songwriter/Inspiration

I love Patti Smith for so many reasons, but lately it is because she has completely embraced her age and who she is at this age.  

But here is one of fave performances.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Patty+Smyth+Because+the+Night+Hall+of+Fame&&view=detail&mid=4AF8602F2888DBD703164AF8602F2888DBD70316&&FORM=VRDGAR

Edited by bannana
  • Love 9
31 minutes ago, bannana said:

Wasn't she Echo?  Or do I have that wrong?

She was.  Loved her falling down Dorian's chimney on Christmas Eve!

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, jpagan05 said:

I completely agree. They are also susceptible to infectious diseases contracted from other cats such as FIP, FIV, FeLV, URIs. And we have a lot of lovely people here who think it's fun to injure or kill cats. 

@peacheslatour I can't believe you witnessed a dognapping! What kind of evil asshole would do something like that?

Can I please have the dip recipe too?

On a brighter note, here is some cat levity and pics of Kemosabe's belly😻

https://theoatmeal.com/comics/cats_actually_kill

belly.jpeg.b4f1eae0cabd3b430373aab6500d4cbe.jpegbelly2.jpeg.262373f955cce282c9f74d1c9ea2047d.jpeg

Kemosabe is beautiful!

• Love 8

I was a faithful AMC & OLTL fan till......R.I.P. *sob*.  I remember Echo well.  That was a hoot.  You could see Robin Strasser and Kim Zimmer  were having a blast.

That was back when soaps were good.  I can kinda remember GL.  Mom watched all the CBS soaps when I was a kid.  When I came of age and was home on maternity leave everybody in the office I worked at at the time (30 women) were hooked on AMC/OLTL and I would watch and call in everyday to give them a recap.  Good times.  I loved them till they went off the air.

• Love 11
(edited)

?m=02&d=20190708&t=2&i=1405623023&w=780&

England's Ellen White scores a goal that is disallowed following a VAR review during the semi final against the United States. REUTERS/Benoit Tessier

Shootout at the OK Bidet -- Picture from an Amazon review of a tank top:

D-unRUAXoAATVLe.png

Cat Thought Bubbles --

Cat: You know the safety’s off.

Cat: Yes, the gun makes you look fat.

Cat: I like your new camo phone cover.

Cat: Can I go back to the shelter now?

Cat: Look, if your not gonna take your meds anymore, can I have them?

Nick Cave, singer/songwriter

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, jpagan05 said:

Oh, cat tums! Lovely!

And Cupid, sorry about the damage! I loved the picture of Melvin!

And Nick Cave...ah, I remember PLL's Nick Cave years... I parodied the hell out of some of his songs.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, pearlite said:

Oh, cat tums! Lovely!

And Cupid, sorry about the damage! I loved the picture of Melvin!

And Nick Cave...ah, I remember PLL's Nick Cave years... I parodied the hell out of some of his songs.

Speaking of Nick Cave, one of my favorite scenes in the Harry Potter films was in TDH1, when Hermoine and Harry danced to O Children.

Can I please have the dip recipe too?

Oops, sorry I disappeared on y'all, my son dropped by.

Onion Dip

Equal parts cream cheese/sour cream

Finely chopped sweet onion 

Chopped green onion

Chives if you have them

Two heaping teaspoons celery seed

Teaspoon minced garlic

Tablespoon parsley

Salt and pepper to taste

Now, I never really had this recipe written down, I made it the first time from memory and I adjust it it every time I make it. You may add more or less of any of the ingredients as you wish but the celery seed is a must. I usually serve it with Ruffles because it is so thick. OhioSongbird, I believe, serves it with Ritz among other things.

• Love 9
On 7/6/2019 at 8:02 PM, Cupid Stunt said:

Melvin is our suspicious misanthrope. He collects tin foil balls, cellophane, gas receipts, paper clips and pens.

cat-looking-from-under-the-bed.jpg&key=d

What a fabulous shot!  Those eyes!!

Beeeuuutiful!

• Love 9