Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

8 minutes ago, boes said:

I was loving Chinese chicken salad back in the 70's in San Francisco, and cheesy dust stuff since the 60's in Iowa.

And I still do!

I got the recipe from an exes mom. She also taught me chicken enchiladas, guacamole, sweet and sour stir fry and soft corn tacos. My mom was an excellent cook ( she had a degree in home ec) but she didn't know from Mexican or Asian.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
28 minutes ago, boes said:

I was loving Chinese chicken salad back in the 70's in San Francisco, and cheesy dust stuff since the 60's in Iowa.

And I still do!

Is that the chicken salad with the canned mandarin oranges, soy/sesame dressing, & dry noodles? Or am I thinking of the take-out item called something like Asian salad?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
21 minutes ago, pearlite said:

Is that the chicken salad with the canned mandarin oranges, soy/sesame dressing, & dry noodles? Or am I thinking of the take-out item called something like Asian salad?

The one I have calls for chicken, green onions, toasted almonds and sesame seeds. The dressing is oil, vinegar, honey, sesame oil, garlic and ginger. You're also supposed to use those rice noodles that puff up when you fry them but I usually don't bother. It's best if you use leftover fried chicken.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
1 minute ago, peacheslatour said:

The one I have calls for chicken, green onions, toasted almonds and sesame seeds. The dressing is oil, vinegar, honey, sesame oil, garlic and ginger. You're also supposed to use those rice noodles that puff up when you fry them but I usually don't bother. It's best if you use leftover fried chicken.

That sounds much better!

But--you have leftover fried chicken?

• LOL 8
2 minutes ago, pearlite said:

That sounds much better!

But--you have leftover fried chicken?

Right? I often buy fried chicken from the deli. Since our son is grown and on his own we seem to have a lot more leftovers. 🤔

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
41 minutes ago, pearlite said:

I don't know about the mandarin oranges, but everything else sounds right.  I've never made it at home.  There was a restaurant in SF back in the 70's called Yet Wah where we'd go after work on Friday's for Chinese chicken salad and martinis - oh, youth!! - and I'd never had something so delicious.  I still order it on the rare occasions I eat out in the city - the old restaruant is long gone - and while the taste is similar, it's not exactly like Yet Wah's was.  

Or maybe even my taste bud memories are rosier than the reality was.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
(edited)
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I beg your pardon! I had Chinese chicken salad for breakfast this morning. It's delicious. 🐓

3 hours ago, AngelKitty said:

I beg your pardon, I had those for breakfast. 😁

2 hours ago, boes said:

And I still do!

Stow your batons, Preverts!

I'm a Fritos fangirl, and my Caesar salad must have anchovies.

In the 90's certain food entrees, salads, desserts, drinks and cheese-dust encrusted snack options (Cheezy GameBoy/Speed Racer/Hello Kitty crackers?) were everywhere for almost exclusively marketing reasons. Certain flavors, colors, textures and packaging were being given the hard sell.

Tiramisu in the 90's (time consuming preparation, involving expensive ingredients if it is to be made well) suddenly was on every menu, at every dinner party, flavoring every cream-filled refrigerated bakery case item -- Like the desperation for Pumpkin Spice everything the day after Labor Day, the 90's became the proving ground for a form of marketing tsunami that we've become immunized toward after years of exposure.

One day it's salted caramels, next week we're mad for cupcakes (a buttercream frosting delivery system, as far as I can tell), next we can't live without reverse-osmosis water, then it's fish tacos, yesterday we were a bunch of spuds if we weren't stuffing our gobs with French macarons (another frosting delivery system), everyone march to the Vegan/Paleo/South Beach/Soylent Green drumbeat -- Food as fast fashion, a political statement or moral imperative … Screw it.

Eat for health, sustenance and enjoyment. Life is too short.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, boes said:

I don't know about the mandarin oranges, but everything else sounds right.  I've never made it at home.  There was a restaurant in SF back in the 70's called Yet Wah where we'd go after work on Friday's for Chinese chicken salad and martinis - oh, youth!! - and I'd never had something so delicious.  I still order it on the rare occasions I eat out in the city - the old restaruant is long gone - and while the taste is similar, it's not exactly like Yet Wah's was.  

Or maybe even my taste bud memories are rosier than the reality was.

Have another martini.

; )

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

Truly. The police had stopped looking. There were volunteers still searching every day and night. The man that spotted her was a friend that used "Go Fund Me" money to hire the helicopter. It's just incredible.

• Love 10
16 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Soylent Green Is People!

There's a company that sells a food supplement called Soylent.

Yup. PLL had seen those products too, so I asked how her peers might respond to that labelling--given that the movie is pretty much a pop-culture standard, not something obscure or forgotten.

Apparently the product's main demographics aren't seeing the irony. How is that?

Bad enough folks pay money for flavoured vinegar stuff with a floating island on top, it's time to recycle people into mindful edibles.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, pearlite said:

Yup. PLL had seen those products too, so I asked how her peers might respond to that labelling--given that the movie is pretty much a pop-culture standard, not something obscure or forgotten.

Apparently the product's main demographics aren't seeing the irony. How is that?

Bad enough folks pay money for flavoured vinegar stuff with a floating island on top, it's time to recycle people into mindful edibles.

I was grazing the aisles at Target when I came to a dead stop to peer at a lineup of Soylent products. <Eeep!> When I told Mr.Stunt what I had seen -- "WTH! Who would buy anything named Soylent?" -- Our disgust is directly gauged due to our generation and cultural experience.

I don't know how to respond to people who want to consume the mother in unpasteurized vinegar because they think it has some premium benefit (it won't hurt you, but ascribing every chemical reaction in food as benign is foolhardy). Then again I read an article about people convinced drinking their own urine (Ayurvedic practice) was the road to rejuvenation and glowing skin. The author interviewed two doctors that were forced to point out that urine is a waste product and develops bacteria quickly once exposed to air.

I expect that the social media echo chamber is in most part responsible and their customers have skin in the game of What To Market Next. 

• Love 8
21 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

I was grazing the aisles at Target when I came to a dead stop to peer at a lineup of Soylent products. <Eeep!> When I told Mr.Stunt what I had seen -- "WTH! Who would buy anything named Soylent?" -- Our disgust is directly gauged due to our generation and cultural experience.

I don't know how to respond to people who want to consume the mother in unpasteurized vinegar because they think it has some premium benefit (it won't hurt you, but ascribing every chemical reaction in food as benign is foolhardy). Then again I read an article about people convinced drinking their own urine (Ayurvedic practice) was the road to rejuvenation and glowing skin. The author interviewed two doctors that were forced to point out that urine is a waste product and develops bacteria quickly once exposed to air.

I expect that the social media echo chamber is in most part responsible and their customers have skin in the game of What To Market Next. 

Oh yes, Bragg's cider vinegar is sold here as "with the mother/avec la mere." This is not a selling point to me. Mold is mold, with the possible exception of penicillin. Kombucha also came to mind--PLL would routinely buy a bottle upon entering a grocery store, swearing to me each time that it would change her life. Then laugh a lot, especially when she made me drink some. No. Revolting taste.

Drinking the pee? Oh yeah, you'll also meet the odd Eastern Euro who favours that belief. My response--we have indoor plumbing, why bother?

The weirdest association I have with Soylent Green though is connected to the sad scene near the end [Eddie Robinson's last role RIP] where, as he watches the forest scene, a section of Beethoven's Pastorale Symphony plays. Okay. On virtually the only classical music station in TO [I'm the classical-music person], there's a radio ad for Toronto Catholic Cemeteries exhorting us to plan ahead. The background music--the same section of the Pastorale. Not the association the archdiocese was hoping for, I suspect.

• LOL 9
  • Love 1

Bittersweet Symphony! That video and song meant so much to me while the dr's were figuring out that I had panic attack disorder and generalized anxiety. I identified.

Tell @SNAPORAZ to email communitymanager@primetimer.com

Done and done. Thanks!

• Love 8

Thanks valley! I also learned from my dad who suffers like I do. When he got panic attacks he would tell himself "I'm not going to die today." I taught it to my son, who also gets them and he says it helps him too. The only time I can't control it is on the freeway or in large crowds so I just avoid those things.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

i first saw it on facebook.  my daughter shared it cause she has had to teach it to my grandson who is autistic...when things get too loud or chaotic it can trigger a meltdown.  now, when he feels on coming on, he does the above.  my eldest daughter also suffers from anxiety attacks so she does the same.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
28 minutes ago, valleycliffe said:

i first saw it on facebook.  my daughter shared it cause she has had to teach it to my grandson who is autistic...when things get too loud or chaotic it can trigger a meltdown.  now, when he feels on coming on, he does the above.  my eldest daughter also suffers from anxiety attacks so she does the same.

Sucks don't it?

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Sucks don't it?

logan also is audio sensitive....when he goes to movies now, he takes his head phones that muffle the sound...we went to the white spot restaurant one sunday for lunch and it was so loud for him he couldn't eat, he just put his hands over his ears and started to cry.  we had our meal put in take out containers and we came home.

he is in grade 12 and will be graduating next month.  he is getting himself all worked up about getting a job cause he doesn't know who would hire him...then, he started obsessing about university and worrying about going and wondering if he is ready.  he also isn't sure about what he would like to do. and would like to take a gap year.  

so, my daughter told him, if he didn't want to get a job and didn't want to go to school, he also wasn't going to be allowed to sit around and watch tv or play video games all day either.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, valleycliffe said:

logan also is audio sensitive....when he goes to movies now, he takes his head phones that muffle the sound...we went to the white spot restaurant one sunday for lunch and it was so loud for him he couldn't eat, he just put his hands over his ears and started to cry.  we had our meal put in take out containers and we came home.

he is in grade 12 and will be graduating next month.  he is getting himself all worked up about getting a job cause he doesn't know who would hire him...then, he started obsessing about university and worrying about going and wondering if he is ready.  he also isn't sure about what he would like to do. and would like to take a gap year.  

so, my daughter told him, if he didn't want to get a job and didn't want to go to school, he also wasn't going to be allowed to sit around and watch tv or play video games all day either.

Anxiety disorders are so difficult to live with. People don't realize that the things they take for granted are almost impossible for people who suffer from it.

• Love 6
(edited)
2 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Anxiety disorders are so difficult to live with. People don't realize that the things they take for granted are almost impossible for people who suffer from it.

My wonderful, incredible niece has Asperger's Syndrome and reacted much as you describe your grandson does throughout high school and her first year of college.  Like your grandson, she fought to find coping mechanisms, some worked, some didn't, some worked in the "the world" and some didn't and there were many "two steps forward, one step back" moments.  She's 28 now and still has problems with crowds and loud events/moments.

But she's also married to a wonderful guy who appreciates her and understands her and works at the Berkeley Labs in Berkeley, Ca., doing work I couldn't even BEGIN to understand.  

Things worked out, continue to work out and I know that years ago, we would have been shocked to hell to think it would happen, but it did.

And I bet it will for your grandson too.  You sure as hell have my hopes for that happening, all the way.

Edited by boes
  • Useful 1
  • Love 12

Things worked out, continue to work out and I know that years ago, we would have been shocked to hell to think it would happen, but it did.

This is true for my son as well. He surprised us by moving out at twenty, finding a well paid position in tech and now he's engaged to a lovely woman. Tell your darling grandson that all things are possible. I bet he's really smart. Smart people will impress companies looking to hire innovative workers who bring more to the table than gregariousness.

• Love 11
6 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

This is true for my son as well. He surprised us by moving out at twenty, finding a well paid position in tech and now he's engaged to a lovely woman. Tell your darling grandson that all things are possible. I bet he's really smart. Smart people will impress companies looking to hire innovative workers who bring more to the table than gregariousness.

How fantastic, Peacheslatour!  I can only dimly imagine the peace this has brought to you, seeing him doing well and being appreciated for the special being your son is.  

• Love 9
47 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

yes, he is...typically all A's with maybe a B thrown in.  this year tho, his grades in math went down (mostly due to not a great teacher) so daughter has got him a tutor...i think it is calculus he is taking.

he took some computer courses last year and this year and quite liked it so he thinks maybe that could be something to take in university..also, he really really enjoyed the accounting courses he took too.  he thinks he would like to do something he can do on his own, in a room by himself so he can just focus on that instead of background distractions.

for a while, he was contemplating going to prom but has since decided against it..he thinks it will just be too darn noisy and he wouldn't be able to stand it.  also, at his high school, once you are at the prom you really aren't allowed to go out and then come back in..it is to stop some students from going out to parking lot and drinking and stuff.

LOL  plus, if he was dancing, he may go full "carlton".

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

also, he really really enjoyed the accounting courses he took too.  he thinks he would like to do something he can do on his own, in a room by himself so he can just focus on that instead of background distractions.

Sounds exactly like my kid. He doesn't want to work around other people at all. Being an accountant would be a great thing for him and your grandson both and CPA's can make a lot of money. In fact our accountant works from home and a very nice home it is too.

Thank you everyone for your kind words today and every day. What an excellent bunch of crazy weirdos we have here. I hope it never ends.

• Love 12

i think we have a great forum and especially this thread.  

it is great to be able to chat with some of the most interesting people in the world who will laugh with you or cry with you or be joyful with you..

i think all of you are the GOAT.

• Love 13
2 minutes ago, valleycliffe said:

i think we have a great forum and especially this thread.  

it is great to be able to chat with some of the most interesting people in the world who will laugh with you or cry with you or be joyful with you..

i think all of you are the GOAT.

Baaa🐐

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, pearlite said:

Oh yes, Bragg's cider vinegar is sold here as "with the mother/avec la mere." This is not a selling point to me. Mold is mold, with the possible exception of penicillin. 

Cheese would be sad milk without the miracle workings of mold. (Love cheese!)

Mold has it's place and is an important function ...

Kombucha also came to mind--PLL would routinely buy a bottle upon entering a grocery store, swearing to me each time that it would change her life. Then laugh a lot, especially when she made me drink some. No. Revolting taste.

tenor.gif

Drinking the pee? Oh yeah, you'll also meet the odd Eastern Euro who favours that belief. My response--we have indoor plumbing, why bother?

I don't know, honey. Some people have to learn the hard way.

The weirdest association I have with Soylent Green though is connected to the sad scene near the end [Eddie Robinson's last role RIP] where, as he watches the forest scene, a section of Beethoven's Pastorale Symphony plays. Okay. On virtually the only classical music station in TO [I'm the classical-music person], there's a radio ad for Toronto Catholic Cemeteries exhorting us to plan ahead. The background music--the same section of the Pastorale. Not the association the archdiocese was hoping for, I suspect.

That was a striking scene where Sol Roth (Edward G), with the knowledge that Soylent Green can't be made of plankton (as advertised), goes to the euthanasia clinic to end the nightmare of that knowledge -- Laying in the sterile white room, watching a video of a world that no longer exists, with the exquisite Pastorale encompassing his final act of defiance, he tells Det.Thorn Soylent Green is made of human protein.

I'm sure the Catholic Cemeteries bureaucracy hired an advertising agency filled with young Turks to create an ad that is pleasing and comforting, but know nothing of the significant use of the Pastorale in Soylent Green's death scene. Plenty of Boomers remember too well.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 8

maxresdefault.jpg

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate—we can not consecrate—we can not hallow—this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us—that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion—that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain—that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

-- The Gettysburg Address,, President Abraham Lincoln,  November 19, 1863

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

As to Putting Dina in a care facility instead of home care, we had a woman in to care for my dad but we could see she was overwhelmed. My dad wanted to go, to wander and he wanted to drive. He wanted to go to all his old haunts every day. He was lonely. The place we found for him is a constant party. It's like a high end resort. I still feel terribly guilty but he is a handful. He acts out, refuses to bathe, wants to go home and tries various ways to cut off his monitor. He needs to be somewhere with trained professionals.

• Love 13
18 hours ago, bannana said:

If you haven't discovered this yet, Jann Arden and Arlene Dickinson podcast.  It's awesome.  It feels a little bit like our Small Talk thread.

https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/the-business-of-life/id1436169512?mt=2

Arlene has always been my favourite Dragon. I don’t know if she still does this (haven’t watched DD for a while), but she always used to hold any babies that came in with their parents who were presenting to the Dragons. I remember an Indigenous mom who was from Quebec - I think she made moccasins by hand - and she had a newborn, and Arlene was all grabby for the baby 😄❤️

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

D4qe6L9UYAEz4XP.jpg-large.jpg

Atomic Soldiers -- America's Secret Men

candle.jpg

Ji Lee Street Art -- NYC

1.jpg

As a Teacher of Gothic Lit, I Should Have Known Better Than to Move into a Haunted House  -- "This is the problem with white people, as Eddie Murphy assesses it in his 1983 standup comedy special Delirious: we stay in haunted houses, like idiots. We don’t heed the warnings; we don’t read the signs."

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
  • The Official Rules for the 2019 Cookout Season --  "Anyone who brings brown liquor, weed or other items not on the serving table is obliged to share with anyone who asks. The only exception is if the person kept their bottle in the trunk. However, if the party who receives the gift of liquor or weed tells another person, they are no longer eligible for sharing benefits … Anyone who is inebriated will be asked to leave dance."

huang-yung-fu-4.jpg

Taiwan village hand-painted by Huang Yung-Fu

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Yes!  Like a bad penny or herpes, you can't get rid of me easily.

Thanks to peacheslatour for reaching out to me, and to Petunia13 and boes for the nice messages.  Petunia's idea worked, so thanks for that, too!  I feel like I've been gone for ages.  How many of Cupid Stunt's avatars did I miss?

• LOL 4
  • Love 9
23 minutes ago, Snaporaz said:

Thanks to peacheslatour for reaching out to me, and to Petunia13 and boes for the nice messages.  Petunia's idea worked, so thanks for that, too!  I feel like I've been gone for ages.  How many of Cupid Stunt's avatars did I miss?

Two.

Missed ya', Snap.

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
10 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

Oh, mio vecchio caro! I'm so glad to see you back!

• Love 7