Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

Queen Elizabeth Fights Climate Change

D_CuDYCXUAIrWWv.jpg?resize=1000,600

• The world's population is nearing 8 billion. That's not great news -- It took thousands of years for the global population to hit 5 billion, which happened in 1987. Some 32 years later, we're closing in on 8 billion. This explosive growth concerns leaders at the United Nations, who created World Population Day in 1989 to raise awareness about the problems caused by overpopulation. The holiday is observed annually on July 11.

5390101_071119-kabc-moana-cake-img.jpg?w

The Rape Culture line queues to the right --

Follow the double yellow line to the Gates of Hell. They're expecting you.

On July 11, 1995 Srebrenica fell to the Bosnian Serbs led by Ratko Mladic. In the days and weeks prior to the Serbs taking the city, approximately 8,000 Bosnian Muslim men and boys were systematically killed, including those trying to flee the city and into and through the woods and forests to reach safety from the Srebrenican Massacre. Muslims fleeing the city sought refuge with the UN Peacekeeping contingent from Holland. Rather than protect them, the Dutch turned them over to Mladic’s forces. The men and boys were separated and massacred, while the women and girls were distributed by Mladic’s forces throughout the region. The Srebrinican Massacre was the worst mass killing in Europe since the end of World War II and the Holocaust. The remains of many, if not most of the victims of the massacre were never found, identified, and or returned. Over a thousand Bosnian Muslims are still considered missing. Today, on the 24th anniversary, they were able to return the remains of 33 newly identified sets of remains. Unfortunately, in 2019, many of the Bosnian Serb officials, especially those aligned with Russia, continue to deny the massacre and the larger genocide it was a part of. Instead they continue to push the same dangerous, racist, exclusionary, and eliminationist rhetoric that their predecessors used in the 1990s. Although the mass killings were branded genocide by international courts, Serbian and Bosnia Serb officials refuse to use the term. They did not send official delegations to the commemoration on Thursday. Nenad Popovic, an openly pro-Russian minister in Serbia’s government, said in a statement that “there was no genocide in Srebrenica and Serbs will never accept to be stamped as genocidal people.” -- The nationalist boasting during the massacre, and revisionist thinking after the fact did not convince the UN or the World Court the Muslim blood and corpses staining the land did not exist.

Corinne Bailey Rae, singer/songwriter

• Love 6

Welcome home, jewel! It sounds like you had a wonderful visit with your family, and Steve had a pleasant time in boarding.

The things I learned about eating well in Italy and France: eat what is in season or what you have set aside for the cold months, eat the best unprocessed food you can afford, with mindful and simple preparation, practice your preparation skills and cooking will become second nature.

• Love 12
20 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

Welcome back, jewel!  So glad you had a good time!  Was it crazy hot there?  Are you calling Steve "Stefano" now? 😊🐤

Thanks, everyone!

It was crazy hot, but not humid like it is here in Canada. As a result, it was much more bearable. 

And no, I haven't changed Steve's name...yet, hee. 

Because it was so hot, our cousins took us out in the morning but by early afternoon we were usually home. It meant seeing a lot less attractions than I had hoped, but at the same time I did appreciate the rest. 

We saw the main attractions in Bologna and Modena but didn't go in anywhere, just took pics from the outside of Bell Towers, churches and squares. 

We did Pompeii but only saw a small part of it. 

In Naples, we saw Castle Ovo but sadly didn't get a change to see Castle Nuovo or the Catacombs of San Gennaro. 

We did get to see the Reggia di Caserta which is a gorgeous Palace. 

And then my cousin and I were alone in Venice my last night there. But this time she wasn't feeling well so we just went to see the Rialto Bridge and then St. Mark's square and the outside of the Basilica. And we did some shopping. I bought a nice quilted leather purse for like 62 euros and we bought a bunch of glass sculptures on Murano which we're having shipped here. I also bought a lovely ring made of 18K gold and tourmalines. 

Hopefully, if go back, we can see more. 

• Love 11
22 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

I have a job interview tomorrow. I’m actively looking for a new gig. Wish me luck 😊

fingers and toes crossed petunia13...is this another grocery store?  whatever, good good luck..

• Love 8
(edited)

Here's your hat, Neo-Confederacy -- 

-- The booking agency lost their cush job with the Illinois state fair agency. 

?m=02&d=20190712&t=2&i=1407363534&w=780&

A woman carries her son in a bucket after collecting water from a municipal water tanker on the outskirts of Chennai, India, July 4. REUTERS/P. Ravikumar -- Reuters Photos of the Week

Rape Culture gropes on ...

And never to darken our door again.

Katie White and Jules De Martino, singer/songwriters

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 7
(edited)

Happy Birthday, Bea!

6c60a99199ce4693417ff8feebc44013.jpg

My parents and Bea arrived yesterday afternoon, and we took them to the Angels baseball game. We had a wonderful time. Nighttime baseball is the best.

Los Angeles Angels throw no-hitter while honoring Tyler Skaggs

We're having a Ladies Day today -- Shopping, hair and nails, leisurely lunch, while Dad and Mr.Stunt make dinner, and a strawberry cream cake.

b93085f239c2fb30ac9f8700fb3ea6f5.jpg

Sunday is our company party at the Santa Cruz Boardwalk.

All the free rides, games you can play, and food you can eat, plus a tent on the beach for swimming and lounging (that's where you'll find me with my boogie board). 

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • LOL 1
  • Love 12

I want that cake!  Bring. it. to. me.  Joke in our house when I see something on TV.  I am addicted to cooking shows.  😉

It's summertime and if your garden is overrun by zucchini here's an easy and delicious recipe....in my recipe box and I just made them yesterday for lunch.

2 C grated zucchini

2 beaten eggs

1/4 C chopped onion (you can add a little garlic if you wish)

1/2 C flour

1/2 C grated Parmesan cheese (use the real stuff, grate it yourself)

1/2 C shredded mozzerella 

salt & pepper to taste

Mix all in a bowl and cook them like small pancakes till golden on both sides.  Serve with sour cream, salsa, marinara sauce whatever you prefer.

Sour cream and fresh tomatoes for me but salsa is really good, too for a change.

Enjoy!

• Love 10
57 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

I want that cake!  Bring. it. to. me.  Joke in our house when I see something on TV.  I am addicted to cooking shows.  😉

It's summertime and if your garden is overrun by zucchini here's an easy and delicious recipe....in my recipe box and I just made them yesterday for lunch.

2 C grated zucchini

2 beaten eggs

1/4 C chopped onion (you can add a little garlic if you wish)

1/2 C flour

1/2 C grated Parmesan cheese (use the real stuff, grate it yourself)

1/2 C shredded mozzerella 

salt & pepper to taste

Mix all in a bowl and cook them like small pancakes till golden on both sides.  Serve with sour cream, salsa, marinara sauce whatever you prefer.

Sour cream and fresh tomatoes for me but salsa is really good, too for a change.

Enjoy!

Thanks for this recipe!  We are overrun with zucchini - in a good way - but I'm running out of ways to cook it.  And these sound DEEELICIOUS!!

• Love 9

Regarding zucchini and summer squash, I keep looking up casseroles and I'm finding most of them call for cooking them partly first and I'm wondering if anyone knows if you can skip that part. I don't know why they wouldn't cook in a casserole at 400 degrees in 45 minutes. And I'm talking about sliced, not grated.

Thanks.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

I think they will.  Hell, they're mostly water anyway and for me the rind adds texture.  You can peel I guess but most nutrients are in the skin. 

Always loved the WWII POW potato story where the Nazis made the them eat the peels while they ate the white.  The POWs were healthier in some respects because of the skins.  They made soups with whatever they could find and a lot of those guys were country boys and farmers so they knew from plants.  They would glean herbs and such from the compounds.

• Love 7
41 minutes ago, AngelKitty said:

Regarding zucchini and summer squash, I keep looking up casseroles and I'm finding most of them call for cooking them partly first and I'm wondering if anyone knows if you can skip that part. I don't know why they wouldn't cook in a casserole at 400 degrees in 45 minutes. And I'm talking about sliced, not grated.

Thanks.

I never precook the zucchini.  I made a sort of scalloped zucchini dish last week, sliced like potatoes but not as thin and they were more than fully cooked by the end of it.  

• Love 7

Nana Stunt's Strawberry Cream Cake

For the cake:

1 cup salted butter, room temperature

3 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled, sifted twice), plus more for pan

4 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup sugar

4 large eggs plus 4 large egg yolks, room temperature

1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1 cup whole milk, room temperature

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease three 8-inch round cake pans, and line bottom with parchment paper. Grease and flour paper and sides. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.

2. Using an electric mixer on high speed, beat butter and 1 cup sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs and yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. With mixer on low, alternately add flour mixture in 3 parts and milk in 2, beginning and ending with flour mixture; mix just until combined. Measure out batter into pans (I use a scale, but you can use a ice cream scoop), and level the batter .

3. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes; invert onto a wire rack to cool completely. If the cake layer crowned in baking, level with a serrated knife. Brush off any crumbs and place one cooled layer on cake plate.

Stabilized Whipping Cream:

Refrigerate mixing bowl and beaters. To make 4 cups of whipped cream in advance, sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of unflavored powdered gelatin over 1 1/2 tablespoons of water in a microwave-safe bowl and let it stand for 3 minutes. Microwave the mixture in 5-second increments until the gelatin is dissolved and liquefied. Whip 2 cups of chilled heavy cream, with 3 teaspoons of sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract in a stand mixer, staying on low speed until small bubbles form and then increasing the speed to medium. When the beaters begin to leave a trail in the cream, slowly dribble in gelatin mixture and then increase the speed to high and continue to beat until soft peaks form. If well covered, the whipped cream will retain its moisture and airiness for up to 24 hours and not separate. Keep refrigerated until ready to assemble cake.

For the Strawberry Filling:

3 pounds strawberries, washed and dried, 2/3 hulled and thinly sliced. Save 12-14 of the best whole berries and do not sugar; these will be used to decorate cake..

!/3+ cup sugar

2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin (from a 1/4-ounce envelope)

1. In a large bowl, combine sliced strawberries and 1/4 cup sugar; set aside. Place 2 tablespoons cold water in a small saucepan, and sprinkle with gelatin; let soften 5 minutes. Place saucepan over very low heat, and stir until gelatin is dissolved. Add half of sliced strawberries to gelatin mixture, stir until berries just start to soften and release their juice. Remove from heat; let cool.

To Assemble:

1. With cake layer on cake plate, spread layer with 1/3 cup of strawberry sauce, not to the edge. Arrange 1/3 sliced and sugared strawberries over sauce on bottom cake layer; top with whipped cream, leaving a 1-inch border. Cover with second cake layer. and spread second layer with 1/3 cup of strawberry sauce not to the edge.  Arrange 1/3 sliced and sugared strawberries over sauce on second cake layer; top with whipped cream, leaving a I-inch border. Cover with third cake layer. and arrange 1/3 sliced strawberries on third cake layer; top with whipped cream, leaving a I-inch border. Take three bamboo skewers and run through cake to the cake plate (to stabilize the layers while chilling).  

2. Refrigerate cake, remaining strawberry slices, extra whipped cream and strawberry sauce separately, at least 2-3 hours (or up to 1 day).

For presentation, remove skewers, decorate with whole berries. Ta Da!

Just before serving, drizzle 1 1/2 tablespoons of remaining strawberry sauce on dessert plate, place cake slice on plate and add a few more sliced strawberries over cake, with a dollop of whipping cream and a couple of whole berries -- Also known as gilding the lily.

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, AngelKitty said:

Oh boy, that's too complicated for me.

My mom's mom held a degree in Home Ec. (graduated in 1929)  and I can remember her saying it just was too much of a hassle to bake from scratch now that we had the modern miracle of cake mixes.

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
On 7/10/2019 at 6:50 PM, bannana said:

Okay, I am now inspired to make the dip and got Philly with chives cream cheese (which I didn't even know existed).  Taking it to a party tomorrow, and will report back afterwards!

My mom always used to stuff celery with Philly whipped cream cheese and chives- so simple and tasty.

On 7/10/2019 at 5:08 PM, Snaporaz said:

Ooofaa, if you were telling squeamish me this story in person, I would be cupping my ears and saying "LALALALALALA".  So I read it with my fingers over my eyes.🙈  Feel better soon, peaches!

Get well!.jpg

I'm the same. I really like my podiatrist. He's funny which makes for a good bed-side manner and a more relaxing experience. I had to get an ingrown toenail cut out. He numbed the crap out of it so I felt nothing but I always pass out because I can't not think about being cut into while I'm awake. I'm a big baby so I have to be practically upside down with my head way lower than my feet. Then I cannot look at the wound until it's practically healed. I have fainted in the shower 🙄

• Love 10

Welcome back @jewel21! Good luck @Petunia13! Glad you still have your toe @peacheslatour!

We had a giant brushfire that is still burning. I had doc appointment south of us at noon. Thankfully my husband was off so he was with me. I could see the smoke as we drove south but wasn't too concerned. We went to meet a girlfriend after at the local brewery since we were in her neighborhood. It was starting to look apocalyptic outside- like pink and a little dark and the sun looked like an orange fireball. The smell was getting really strong. Then everyone's phone alarms went off. They were calling for volunteers to evacuate the humane society. The vibe started to get very tense so we left to go home. After sitting in traffic for two hours (we are 20 minutes from the brewery), we got turned away by the cops who had closed the road. 

We turned around to go back south to our friend's house which took another hour. Finally around 7PM, we heard the roads were back open. The direct route was still closed and we were detoured down a seven mile road with bumper to bumper traffic with live flames on either side of us. It was terrifying and I had no idea what was happening as cell service was down and the radio reports were not current. And I was worried about my kitties as my front door was open and didn't know if it was smoky near us.

We got home at 9:30. We both wreaked and the cats were none the wiser, thankfully. The scuttlebutt at the swap meet (where I get all my fruits, veggies and gossip) is that it was arson-some sort of turf war. They are lucky no one died. A-holes.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

My mom's mom held a degree in Home Ec. (graduated in 1929)  and I can remember her saying it just was too much of a hassle to bake from scratch now that we had the modern miracle of cake mixes.

I bake a lot, cakes too, but that's beyond my ability.  For something like that I'm calling in the big guns, Alpine Bakery!

47 minutes ago, jpagan05 said:

Welcome back @jewel21! Good luck @Petunia13! Glad you still have your toe @peacheslatour!

We had a giant brushfire that is still burning. I had doc appointment south of us at noon. Thankfully my husband was off so he was with me. I could see the smoke as we drove south but wasn't too concerned. We went to meet a girlfriend after at the local brewery since we were in her neighborhood. It was starting to look apocalyptic outside- like pink and a little dark and the sun looked like an orange fireball. The smell was getting really strong. Then everyone's phone alarms went off. They were calling for volunteers to evacuate the humane society. The vibe started to get very tense so we left to go home. After sitting in traffic for two hours (we are 20 minutes from the brewery), we got turned away by the cops who had closed the road. 

We turned around to go back south to our friend's house which took another hour. Finally around 7PM, we heard the roads were back open. The direct route was still closed and we were detoured down a seven mile road with bumper to bumper traffic with live flames on either side of us. It was terrifying and I had no idea what was happening as cell service was down and the radio reports were not current. And I was worried about my kitties as my front door was open and didn't know if it was smoky near us.

We got home at 9:30. We both wreaked and the cats were none the wiser, thankfully. The scuttlebutt at the swap meet (where I get all my fruits, veggies and gossip) is that it was arson-some sort of turf war. They are lucky no one died. A-holes.

That sounds pretty awful all around, thank God you're okay!!!

• Love 11

That sounds terrifying @jpagan05 Thsts fucked up the brush fire may have been arson or some turf fight. No respect for wildlife, property or citizens by some people.  

Thats funny about box cake mixes. I used to bake at least weekly in HS and when I was a housewife. One thing that was nice about it was the stuff “keeps” or travels well and makes a splash. I like watching those Epicurious YouTube videos where they show levels of chocolate chip cookies or tiers of home chef pizza. I think I mentioned my late grandmother had a “church” cookbook given to her as a girl which we still have now, and it had tons of scratch recipes or weird or one of a kind things. 

• Love 11
18 hours ago, boes said:

I never precook the zucchini.  I made a sort of scalloped zucchini dish last week, sliced like potatoes but not as thin and they were more than fully cooked by the end of it.  

Okay, I had to drag this one in...

Many years ago, when Jane and Michael Stern were a big thing, I had their books and followed their message board. That's where this recipe comes from.

There's nothing remotely good for you about this--it's a great trashy side, usually made with yellow zucchinis, which aren't all that common in TO. But every summer, someone asks me to make this:

Squash Casserole/Hap’s Casserole

[From Michael Stern in response to my request] Shel Silverstein, who used to come to Nashville regularly, liked squash casserole so much, Hap Townes recalls, that one day when Shel arrived to find that the kitchen had run out of it, he fled the restaurant with his hands in the air.

4 tablespoons butter
1 cup chopped onion
4 cups cooked squash, mashed
1 cup grated mild cheese (Hap uses Velveeta)
1 cup milk
1 cup cracker crumbs
1 teaspoon salt
paprika

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large skillet, saute onion in butter over medium heat until it is limp. Remove the skillet from the heat. Add the squash and mix well. Stir in cheese, milk, 3/4 cup of the cracker crumbs, and salt.

Michael Stern [2003]

• Love 7
(edited)

What's a lot of rape between business associates, students, family and friends?

FgPX6T5.gif

• Kindle and Nook readers: You know you don’t own those books, right? -- Microsoft recently shuttered its e-book business, and all the e-books customers thought they purchased have disappeared from their accounts. Amazon is seemingly unlikely to stop selling e-books — they make money on it, after all -- but what if they get into an intractable dispute over pricing with a particular publisher, and as an act of leverage, not only stop selling the publisher’s wares in the store (as has happened temporarily in the past), but delete previously purchased copies from individual devices? Maybe that sounds unlikely too, but the reality is that both the technology and the law allows this to happen.

MW-HM619_openpl_20190702121252_ZH.jpg?uu

• People are spending $500 a month to avoid their co-workers -- Some people with desk jobs are sick and tired of their colleagues, but their solutions could cost them promotions and raises. Personally, I don't like open office design (noisy and distracting), and had cubical walls restored; our productivity is higher by 31.8% than in other divisions with open office designs.

esytk4-l-610x610-sunglasses-aviator+sung

Richard Thompson, singer/songwriter

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 6
(edited)
12 minutes ago, pearlite said:

Many years ago, when Jane and Michael Stern were a big thing, I had their books and followed their message board. That's where this recipe comes from.

There's nothing remotely good for you about this--it's a great trashy side, usually made with yellow zucchinis, which aren't all that common in TO. But every summer, someone asks me to make this:

[From Michael Stern in response to my request] Shel Silverstein, who used to come to Nashville regularly, liked squash casserole so much, Hap Townes recalls, that one day when Shel arrived to find that the kitchen had run out of it, he fled the restaurant with his hands in the air.

4 tablespoons butter
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup milk
1 cup cracker crumbs
1 teaspoon salt
paprika

In a large skillet, saute onion in butter over medium heat until it is limp. Remove the skillet from the heat. Add the squash and mix well. Stir in cheese, milk, 3/4 cup of the cracker crumbs, and salt.

The rest of the crumbs go on top with melted butter--paprika optional--it has no taste.

Michael Stern [2003]

Edited by pearlite
Double post
(edited)
1 hour ago, pearlite said:

4 tablespoons butter
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup milk
1 cup cracker crumbs
1 teaspoon salt
paprika

Michael Stern [2003]

That's pretty much what I made!  I used gruyere and it make it even better (or worse for the arteries), topped it off with some grated romano cheese.  I didn't use any cracker crumbs and less milk but pretty much that was it.

Edited by boes
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9
(edited)

Lucky for you, it's National Macaroni and Cheese Day!

My favorite recipe is from Patti LaBelle, pre-diabetes diagnosis -- 

Over the Rainbow Macaroni and Cheese

Ingredients:

1/2 cup Mild cheddar cheese

1/2 cup Sharp cheddar cheese

1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese

1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese

1/2 cup Muenster cheese

1/2 cup Pepper Jack cheese

1/2 cup Provolone cheese

8 ounce Velveeta cheese (cubed)

1 stick Butter

1 tablespoon Olive oil (or vegetable oil)

1 pound Macaroni

2 cups Half & half

2-3 Eggs (lightly beaten)

Instructions:

!. Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly butter a deep 2 1/2 quart baking dish.

2. Boil water with macaroni, undercook 3 minutes, Save a cup of cooking water and drain macaroni.

3. Lightly butter and oil a deep 2 1/2 quart casserole baking dish.

4. To the macaroni, add pats of butter, cups of shredded cheeses, half and half, the cubed cheese and the eggs, and the seasoned salt and pepper.

5. Transfer to the prepared casserole dish, and top with remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese. Dot with remaining stick of butter.

6. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the edges are just golden and bubbly.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 2
  • Love 8
18 minutes ago, boes said:

That's pretty much what I made!  I used gruyere and it make it even better (or worse for the arteries), topped it off with some grated romano cheese.  I didn't use any cracker crumbs and less milk but pretty much that was it.

Yours is definitely more to my palate! I kind of have to buy a brick of Velveeta in a plain brown wrapper... And I can only eat one shot of that casserole; after that, I make others finish it.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

And today's change to the iteration of the Onion Dip:

Because I saw no point in weeping over the damn onions, PLL and I just whupped all the veg in the Cuisinart, and that was it. I even bought a jar of green stuffed olives to try the olive juice thing--normally, I might have Greek olives in the house, but I don't usually have jarred green olives.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7

Yeah...I missed that detail in the recipe.  We always have garlic stuffed green olives so that was what I use in the dip, too.

That summer squash recipe is going to be 'in my belly' (Austin Powers Fat Bastard') this week.   Boychild's favorite thing is mac and cheese so that is on the menu for his next visit.  Thanks!

Fingers crossed Petunia13!

• Love 9
(edited)

Some friends grow lychee fruit and we get the not-so-pretty ones that they can't sell at Whole Foods. They are perfect on the inside. I infused vodka with them and it is amazeballs. I also tried my hand at Indian food for the first time and I must say, it came out really tasty. I love to cook and it's the only cuisine that is really daunting for me.

Edited by jpagan05
brain is faster than hands
  • Love 8
On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 3:24 PM, peacheslatour said:

This interests me. I always buy green candles but I didn't know there was any meaning. Why do you light green candles?

Green candles are used when you are trying to attract a new beginning, money, growth, good luck, and a long list of other things.  The book I have suggested green or yellow candles (or both together) for a job interview, but I didn't have a yellow one.  Even if you don't believe in it, it doesn't hurt to try.  Just be careful so you don't accidentally summon a demon!

On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 6:22 PM, peacheslatour said:

((((I actually think cake mixes often taste better than cakes from scratch.))))  That strawberry cake does look amazing, though.  I may try the filling and the cream on a box cake.  Annie's Homegrown makes a good one with all organic ingredients.  I thought Bea was a Christmas Eve baby, @Cupid Stunt?  Or am I thinking of someone else?

Glad you and the kitties are safe, @jpagan05!

• Love 8
9 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

petunia 13, how did your job interview go?

It went okay. It felt nice to get myself out there. My job now is just too far for the money and there’s such slow growth at my retail chain. Also there’s a guy there who’s problematic.  I want a place closer to home and feel the store is stagnant with some weird cultural stuff going on in general. 

• Love 6

That news story above about the IVF mix-up reminds me of a B&B plot from a few years ago when Taylor received Brooke's embryo by mistake.  It's funny when we think these stories are ridiculous and could never happen in real life, and then they happen in real life!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Petunia13 said:

It went okay. It felt nice to get myself out there. My job now is just too far for the money and there’s such slow growth at my retail chain. Also there’s a guy there who’s problematic.  I want a place closer to home and feel the store is stagnant with some weird cultural stuff going on in general. 

At least you did it. Sometimes you need to break the ice (easier said than done), if not for this, then something that is the perfect fit. Good luck @Petunia13 ❤️

• Love 13
  • Amazon Prime Day, explained -- A brief history of the summer shopping holiday Amazon created to celebrate its own birthday. -- Don't forget to check with your regular vendors, because they are having sales comparable to Prime's discounting.

AP18316796240122.jpg?w=620

These guys and their enabling network --

Exhausting …

John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr -- The Beatles, singers and songwriters

• Love 8
11 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

((((I actually think cake mixes often taste better than cakes from scratch.))))  That strawberry cake does look amazing, though.  I may try the filling and the cream on a box cake.  Annie's Homegrown makes a good one with all organic ingredients.  I thought Bea was a Christmas Eve baby, @Cupid Stunt?  Or am I thinking of someone else?

You absolutely can make a box cake for this recipe (two leveled layers work well -- You won't need as much whipped cream or berries, cut back by a third), because the cake is the platform for all the luscious strawberries and whipped cream. Confession: I had a slice with extra berries for breakfast this morning.

Mr.Stunt made his cake layers the day before (wrapped separately in parchment paper and chilled), and then prepped the strawberries and whipped cream the day of the party to assemble to cake to chill.

Bea's BD is Christmas Eve and we have a BD party with all the trimmings. A week before last Christmas, Bea's husband went into a nursing home (he's had Anaplastic Meningioma for 20 months and is holding his own for now). He told her to go to the family BD party and celebrate Christmas, and they would have a New Years party when she returned. She came to my parents for the BD party and went home Christmas morning -- It wasn't much of a birthday or holiday for her. 

Mom suggested that we do a Christmas BD in July and chose a weekend … So let it be written, so let it be done. Bea hadn't had any mindless fun in a long time, so wore we her out at the beach yesterday. She was still in bed when I left for work this morning.

• Love 10
10 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

That news story above about the IVF mix-up reminds me of a B&B plot from a few years ago when Taylor received Brooke's embryo by mistake.  It's funny when we think these stories are ridiculous and could never happen in real life, and then they happen in real life!

I have an employee that lost her fertilized embryos in the Pacific Fertility Center facility failure, and is in a class action suit with 1200+ others.

I find it fascinating that the pro-life industry isn't baying to strictly regulate IVF doctors/clinics/holding facilities. All those 'Snowflake Babies' left to the commercial mercies of godless science and nitrogen refrigeration technicians. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

Got this from my allrecipes mail.....Ways to ramp up a box cake.

Add an extra egg

Substitute OJ or lemonade for water in a yellow or lemon cake

Sub milk or sour cream for liquid 

Sub melted butter for oil

Chocolate cake, use hot liquid as it blossoms the cocoa

Use extra vanilla or add orange/almond/whatever extracts

Poke holes in your layers and pour a flavored mixture over it...let soak in

...and lastly do it Cupid style....slice layers in half and layer with berries and cream/lemon curd.

Anyway you slice it.....it be good.

• Love 10
8 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

Got this from my allrecipes mail.

I get email from Allrecipes too. I am a recipe junkie and can read them for hours. I also get from Food Network, Bon Appetit, Epicurius, Mr. Food, Casserole of the day, Pinterest, Slow Cooker Chronicle, and Yummly.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5