Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

12 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

What is this "bra" thing you speak of?

Or shoes?

I'm into the old-lady slipper-shuffle out to the recycling bins. And the extenda-sweater thing down to the knees over the house pants.

Just to really put a bow on things, I spit out a cap last night--dentists shut down here/ Currently starring as White Fang as a result.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Cupid Stunt said:

(((loveme)))

I know. I get so sad that the only thing I have left is the daily schedule. It ends up a sort of drudgery, with short-lived pleasures. Like rats in a cage or as pearlite describes it as "claustrophobically grim about every damn day."

The therapy sessions here help me. I'm not alone, and stronger with you. 

Ditto!

By the way - I think it's great that you were able to delegate some chores this afternoon and go out and have some fun.  My husband says that I just don't know the fine art of lounging about (which he has elevated to an art form!).  He's right...I am so used to hard charging through my life.  My husband and I are the ones a person  comes to to get stuff done.  We know who to call, how to do it, how to make it happen.........I feel lost without that right now.  Who am I if I can't be the rock?  Maybe, that's the lesson I'm to learn here.

I admire how you are helping others through this.........I long to go volunteer somewhere, something I do in "normal" times, but to be honest, I'm terrified of getting ill.  In my state, it's my gender/age demographic who are catching this virus.  Of course, without adequate testing, who the f*ck knows who's most at risk and who's not?

Anyhow, for now, we all need to try and enjoy the day.  All we can really do is take this one day at a time.  I just went outside.  It's cold and windy, but the sun is shining, the birds are singing and tomorrow is another day!

• Love 10
1 hour ago, pearlite said:

Or shoes?

I'm into the old-lady slipper-shuffle out to the recycling bins. And the extenda-sweater thing down to the knees over the house pants.

Just to really put a bow on things, I spit out a cap last night--dentists shut down here/ Currently starring as White Fang as a result.

Shoes?  Slippers?  I'm barefoot...all the time!  It's done a number on my feet, too.  I put on a pair of high heels the other night, ones I'd worn for New Year's Eve, just for kicks.  I could barely walk in them after this long going barefoot!

I had a crown/cap come off once when I was on vacation.  I went to a drugstore and found a tube of Poligrip.  It's the adhesive stuff people use for their dentures.  It really works...and when I got back, my dentist said it was the very best thing I could have done.  You have to find a way to keep that cap on, otherwise, the margins change and it might not fit when it comes time to have the dentist cement it back on! 

• Useful 7
  • Love 2
19 minutes ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

Shoes?  Slippers?  I'm barefoot...all the time!  It's done a number on my feet, too.  I put on a pair of high heels the other night, ones I'd worn for New Year's Eve, just for kicks.  I could barely walk in them after this long going barefoot!

I had a crown/cap come off once when I was on vacation.  I went to a drugstore and found a tube of Poligrip.  It's the adhesive stuff people use for their dentures.  It really works...and when I got back, my dentist said it was the very best thing I could have done.  You have to find a way to keep that cap on, otherwise, the margins change and it might not fit when it comes time to have the dentist cement it back on! 

Trust me, you would not be barefootin' in Toronto--a bit nippy for that/

Unfotunately, crown broke, so it's a no-win scenario.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, pearlite said:

Trust me, you would not be barefootin' in Toronto--a bit nippy for that/

Unfotunately, crown broke, so it's a no-win scenario.

I'm not barefoot outside......just in my house!  It's a little too nippy here on the east coast for barefootin' it outside!

So sorry about your cap!

• Love 8

I had a crown/cap come off once when I was on vacation.  I went to a drugstore and found a tube of Poligrip.  It's the adhesive stuff people use for their dentures.  It really works.

I had a friend a long time ago who had broken off a cap on his front tooth. He would use Super glue to hold it in when he went out. One time he tilted his head back to apply the glue and it went down his throat. His throat was glued shut for about 5 minutes before the hot water we were pouring down it opened it back up. Stupid kids.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Shoes.  I grew up bare foot.  Only wore shoes outside when I had to, got the scars to prove it.  Now I only wear shoes when I go outside.  Inside it's bare feet or socks and I love my slippers.  Found a pair at WallyWorld one week for $5, liked them so much I went back the next week and bought two more 'cause I knew I couldn't find them again later.  A gal's gotta be comfortable.   😉

Hubby scored TP and Puffs the last two days at our local Rite Aid....woo hoo!  He had to pick up a prescription and lo and behold behind him were Puffs.  The pharmacist told him they were expecting TP the next day.  Went back and scoooore!  We're only 2 here so we are stocked.

Woke up Monday morning sick as a dog...couldn't keep down a plain cracker.  Ate peanut butter crackers next day, soup on Wed.  Today I feel much better.  Thought I might have had the *whisper* virus but no temp or cough....thank you Jesus.

Cupid I also applaud all you, hubby and the Things are doing.  I don't know where you find the time.  Keep up the good work. 

Everyone keep safe and pass on the love wherever you can.

Edited by OhioSongbird
  • Love 11
10 hours ago, pearlite said:

Good for Thing2!

I'm very proud of him. The mechanical engineering school at UCLA is competitive, and he fulfilled his goal. And now he's uncertain about his future.

He didn't plan to pursue a masters after graduation, but feels there are limited options for the next 2-3 years in a recession. As the economy opens up, he'll go back to making custom-made lamps and light fixtures for the decorating trade and at his booth at the Rose Bowl flea market. The 3D Printers fill in his days and serves a valuable service, but it's not enough. He's still searching to use his skills for more than one-of-a-kind chandeliers and particulate face masks.

I don't know--I'm kind of a limited sample here. Twilight is an interesting choice of word -- there's something claustrophobically grim about every damn day. One CDN news show around six I'm sort of still partly watching but I no longer know why. Except perhaps to see the assholes carrying on about civil liberties and how they're being infringed upon by lockdown enforcement; i.e., some guy skateboarding with his sons in a shut-down area who got the $900 ticket. Aw poor baby... If nothing else, I've lost patience with people who are whining about what they can't do.

Yes Ma'am.

I'm looking at the world "through a glass, darkly" -- 1 Corinthians Chap 13 verse 12: "For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known."

I am grateful I have my job, and working to keep my employees working. My family is healthy, and we have a lot to be thankful for. On the other hand, we have our Glorious Leader to shake his fist at whatever strawman that suits his fancy. That's our burden, and a loss to many..

Reckless people often end up humiliating themselves, earning those $900 tickets.

You're still doing your hair? Kudos! I inherited my mother's lazy-about-hair gene and get [or used to get at the mo] my friend the hairdresser to wash and blowdry every week--I have super dry hair. That dry hair is handy right now--I haven't seem my hair this, shall we say, moist in forever. The most I get dressed is vaguely business on top, and I mean vaguely, for zoom/webex/whatever meetings each week. I've just wrapped up my and my faculty's semester paperwork and online classes are done. This is also depressing. I'm trying to muster the focus and vestiges of ego needed to do the months of bureaucratic crap ahead of me. Mustering not going well. Outside contact, even online, shrivelling is not a good thing for me.

My hair dresser had to closed her shop and is taking care of her mother (cancer); Thing1 helped color and trim my hair, and I've been doing my own mani/pedis. Have to sand down the calluses from running.

The Skypes with corporate expect done hair, makeup and the whole shebang. <shrug> It's usually a waste of mascara, but it doesn't matter. I'm still wearing Birkenstocks with my suit. 

We're very restricted in how much we can even go onto commercial streets, and my beloved Roncey isn't just a ghost street, it's filled with people lining up, spread apart, outside essential stores that are open.

We're a little looser on the Left Coast --  social distancing lines on the ground, face masks, can't go to the beach, closed store fronts and restaurants, no traffic, caution and avoidance rule the day. 

Anybody who has some spare motivation, let me know please!

After chasing golf balls around with a putter all afternoon, I ran out of motivation in the middle of dinner. 

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 9
9 hours ago, Anna Yolei said:

Speaking of canceled event, the one thing that hasn't pulled out yet is San Diego Comic-Con.

I live fairly close to the venue where it takes place and I'm this close to writing the mayor and the governor about this. Conventions at the best of times get unsanitary  and people begin smelling ripe by day damn two. Also, "convention flu" is a thing that happens.

We've had nearly every other major event through September get canceled and if there is any convention that will be able to weather this storm, it's SDCC. Shame on them for putting profits first. If they won't do the right thing, I hope their vendors and panelists do.

I have heard tales about the Hall H line!

• LOL 2

"Six feet apart...not 6 feet under"  -- OhioSongbird

No country has beaten the coronavirus yet -- New Covid-19 infections are undermining some of the gains as countries relax restrictions.

BB122xnq.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=

A man bikes by a street art mural, depicting a healthcare worker in a face mask by Belgian street artist CAZ, with a hashtag in Dutch that reads 'thank you', during a partial lockdown against the spread of COVID-19 in Wetteren, Belgium, Tuesday, March 31, 2020. © Virginia Mayo, AP

Wary of public transport, coronavirus-hit Americans turn to bikes

Nurses push back on pressure to work without right equipment

Exclusive: Secret Military Task Force Prepares to Secure the U.S. Capital -- Activated on March 16, Joint Task Force National Capital Region (JTF-NCR) is chartered to "defend" Washington on land, in the air, and even on its waterfronts. All this to shut down Congress and the Senate?

The Administration's threat to adjourn Congress and make recess appointments, explained -- The Administration wants to do something that literally no president has done before.

Coronavirus Task Force Briefing -- April 16, 2020 -- Related: 4 takeaways from Thursday’s Coronavirus Task Force briefing

A look at new guidance to states on the coronavirus

US coronavirus-related deaths top 32,000 as states ask Trump for economic aid

Budget office puts virus relief bill cost at $1.8 trillion

Help Wanted: watchdog accountant -- As $2 trillion starts to flow, oversight of virus cash lags

'Nowhere to Hide' as Unemployment Permeates the Economy

The Spanish flu killed more than 50 million people. These lessons could help avoid a repeat with coronavirus

Put on your helmets and particulate masks -- The social-distancing deniers have arrived

Searching for a fall-guy, real or imagined -- The Administration and aides float outlier theory on origins of coronavirus -- Related: 12 experts on how the US should hold China accountable for the coronavirus -- “Nobody wins a pandemic,” said one expert.

How Fox News is playing fast and loose with American lives, illustrated by one Dr. Oz clip -- “Schools are a very appetizing opportunity.” -- Oz’s remarks come as the most-cited models now forecast the US will experience somewhere around 60,000 Covid-19-related deaths. (The total stands at over 33,000 as of April 16, 2020.) A 4 percent increase of that total represents an additional 2,400 lives. So what Dr. Oz was trying to say is that the prospect of that many additional deaths in exchange for the reopening of schools “might be a trade-off some folks would consider.” -- Related: Lancet Study -- Pandemic school closures: risks and opportunities

Amid talk of restarting economy, virus keeps killing in NYC

?m=02&d=20200416&t=2&i=1515375950&r=LYNX

Supporters of the Michigan Conservative Coalition protest against the state's extended stay-at-home order, amid the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), at the Capitol building in Lansing, Michigan, U.S. April 15, 2020. REUTERS/Seth Herald  

Michigan residents sue Governor Whitmer over coronavirus pandemic orders -- We demand the right to thin the herd. Live Free And Ignore Coronavirus is our motto. If we spread the an unseen virus to others, that's just their hard luck for having PaleoCon/Libertarian/TeaBag pinheads in the population … Not for long jackasses.

Medical intelligence sleuths tracked, warned of new virus

A Tiny Hospital Struggles to Treat a Burst of Coronavirus Patients

Gilead stock pops 16% after report says coronavirus drug trial shows encouraging early results

Experts skeptical on Administration's push to use unproven drug to treat coronavirus

WHO would like to remind everyone that drinking alcohol will not protect you from coronavirus -- Dagnabbit!

Amid pandemic, debate rages in Mexico: is beer essential? -- If we have to continue suffering with our glorious leadership, we need something to take the edge off.

Big restaurant chains get small business aid, sparking backlash -- Potbelly Corp., the nationwide sandwich shop operator, and Ruth's Hospitality Group, which runs a chain of steakhouses, are among the large companies that have disclosed receiving the government-backed loans.

Supermarkets Adjust Meat Sections as Coronavirus Cuts Supply

Food Distribution 101: What Happens When the Food Supply Is Disrupted by a Pandemic -- Coronavirus is exposing the gaps in a complex food distribution system that’s seeing farmers dump excess product while food banks report shortages

Food Makers Get Shot of Reality Now that Panic Buying Has Waned -- Drop in food-services demand can’t be compensated by retail. Sanderson and Cargill idled or slowed restaurant-focused plants -- The same people who aren't eating restaurant food still need to eat. Shifting restaurant-grown food to a retail market or charitable contributions will still keep you in the black. Should have started adjusting to a changed world marketplace 10 weeks ago.

‘Rice is like gold’: US food banks face shortfalls of millions of dollars -- 'We may have to ration': US food banks face shortages as demand surges

What the Hell Is Going on at Trader Joe’s? -- Trader Joe’s employees attempt to unionize amid increasingly stressful (and in some cases, dangerous) work demands brought on by the coronavirus pandemic

BB12K4ar.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=

Water levels at the Ward Creek Reservoir in Grand Mesa, Colo., have gone down in recent years because of persistent drought conditions. © Carolyn Van Houten/The Washington Post

The western U.S. is locked in the grips of the first human-caused megadrought, study finds

A Texas court battle could decide if millions are disenfranchised during the pandemic -- The state attorney general is literally threatening criminal prosecutions against pro-voting activists. -- Related: Kentucky just made it harder to vote during a pandemic -- Wisconsin-style Voter ID tactics come to Kentucky.

Your guide to picking the right bidet for you and your budget

Ex-DePaul softball coach accused of physical, verbal abuse

190309092034-yayoi-kusama-brilliance-of-

Yayoi Kusama art installation, Brilliance of the Souls

Yayoi Kusama orders coronavirus to 'Disappear from this earth' in a new poem

The 8-bit arcade font, deconstructed -- This simple typeface took over the arcade.

2000.jpeg

Cozy. -- EPA guts rule credited with cleaning up coal-plant toxic air

Kansas ranchers burn land despite plea from health officials

Bald eagles, eaglets found nesting in arms of Arizona cactus

Staff shakeup at US Soccer Federation under new CEO

Brian Dennehy, Tony-winning stage, screen actor, dies at 81

Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega reappears after absence -- Had enough of social distancing?

How to help people during the pandemic, one Google spreadsheet at a time -- Thousands of volunteers in “mutual aid” groups are bringing groceries, medications, and more to vulnerable strangers.

A List of Relief Funds for Restaurants, Bars, and Food Service Workers -- Nonprofits and other grassroots organizations nationwide are working to help those affected by COVID-19

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

Hi preverts.   Sorry I've been more absent than not these past few days, especially as I read how stressed and sad some of you have been.  I get it.  Cupid Stunt, as others have said, you do so much and show it by your actions that you live out your beliefs but it gets hard with no end in sight.  Lovesmesomejoolery, the same with you.  Staying in, staying safe, unable to help the way we're used to, the way we want to, well, it hurts your heart.  Petunia13, you're there on the front lines every day at the nursing home, doing your best to make people's lives worth living for one more day, and all that with worries of your own. Jewel13, you're keeping your grandfather safe and trying to navigate it all through  bureaucracy than can make you pull your hair out.   PatsyandEddie, Peacheslatour, Pearlite, Ohiosongbird, all of you are balked from being with and being there for your loved ones and everyone is doing their damndest to keep our heads and hearts above water.  It's hard.

I've some good news to share.  My friend is recovering .  She's on day 5 now of no fever, day 4 of no real night sweats.  She's exhausted and weak, able to eat again though she has no sense of taste or smell.  The doctor, who continued to visit and monitor her has told her and us that from what he's seen, she's recovering.  It never did go to her lungs which is what saved her, what didn't overwhelm her heart.

She's finally feeling like she's can go to sleep and not fear she won't wake up. 

There's some light, every now and then at the end of this tunnel.

Stay strong, each and everyone of you, and be kind to yourselves when you're not feeling so great - like I am right now - because no matter what any of us is doing, this is exhausting in every possible way.

Love you guys.

If I left off any names, know it's just my reduced mental status and NOT that I value any of you less than the rest.  I'm just massively stupid right now.

Edited by boes
  • Love 14

One note of comfort: PLL has been making bread lately, She started with going back to the no-knead single loaf thing, and is now moving on to more adventurous loaves. This one is a garlic-herb cheese job that's rolled up before baking.

I had to grab the picture off her FB:

93350056_2128561393956487_42474662461964288_o.jpg

• Love 10
7 minutes ago, pearlite said:

One note of comfort: PLL has been making bread lately, She started with going back to the no-knead single loaf thing, and is now moving on to more adventurous loaves. This one is a garlic-herb cheese job that's rolled up before baking.

I had to grab the picture off her FB:

93350056_2128561393956487_42474662461964288_o.jpg

Gorgeous!

• Love 9

(((boes)))

Sooo glad to hear about your friend.  We've all been sending thoughts and prayers her way.  And thank you for the kind words.  We're all in this together.

On a lighter note--talk about losing one's mind, I'm gonna tell one on myself.  I was gathering up my at-home clothes...I live in my oversize T's and fleece PJ bottoms.  I'm looking everywhere for one pair, getting frustrated, look down and......you sense where I'm goin' here....

I was wearing them!!!!

People...I have officially lost my mind.

• LOL 10
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

(((boes)))

Sooo glad to hear about your friend.  We've all been sending thoughts and prayers her way.  And thank you for the kind words.  We're all in this together.

On a lighter note--talk about losing one's mind, I'm gonna tell one on myself.  I was gathering up my at-home clothes...I live in my oversize T's and fleece PJ bottoms.  I'm looking everywhere for one pair, getting frustrated, look down and......you sense where I'm goin' here....

I was wearing them!!!!

People...I have officially lost my mind.

One of us. One of us...

• LOL 7
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, boes said:

Hi preverts.   Sorry I've been more absent than not these past few days, especially as I read how stressed and sad some of you have been.  I get it.  Cupid Stunt, as others have said, you do so much and show it by your actions that you live out your beliefs but it gets hard with no end in sight.  Lovesmesomejoolery, the same with you.  Staying in, staying safe, unable to help the way we're used to, the way we want to, well, it hurts your heart.  Petunia13, you're there on the front lines every day at the nursing home, doing your best to make people's lives worth living for one more day, and all that with worries of your own. Jewel13, you're keeping your grandfather safe and trying to navigate it all through  bureaucracy than can make you pull your hair out.   PatsyandEddie, Peacheslatour, Pearlite, Ohiosongbird, all of you are balked from being with and being there for your loved ones and everyone is doing their damndest to keep our heads and hearts above water.  It's hard.

I've some good news to share.  My friend is recovering .  She's on day 5 now of no fever, day 4 of no real night sweats.  She's exhausted and weak, able to eat again though she has no sense of taste or smell.  The doctor, who continued to visit and monitor her has told her and us that from what he's seen, she's recovering.  It never did go to her lungs which is what saved her, what didn't overwhelm her heart.

She's finally feeling like she's can go to sleep and not fear she won't wake up. 

There's some light, every now and then at the end of this tunnel.

Stay strong, each and everyone of you, and be kind to yourselves when you're not feeling so great - like I am right now - because no matter what any of us is doing, this is exhausting in every possible way.

Love you guys.

If I left off any names, know it's just my reduced mental status and NOT that I value any of you less than the rest.  I'm just massively stupid right now.

YAY!  I am so, so happy to hear your best friend has turned a corner.  I know you were worried sick.  Hopefully, you, too, can get some sleep!

This really helped make my day!

• Love 12

Merciful Father, we give thanks to You for the blessings which You have bestowed upon boes friend, your humble servant. We ask You to continue Your goodness toward us; and as You have been pleased to restore boes friend toward recovery and health, so do You grant her soul Your blessings in this life and in the Life to come. You are due all glory and honor, All Holy Father, Merciful Son and Life creating Spirit, both now and ever, and to the ages of ages. Amen.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Merciful Father, we give thanks to You for the blessings which You have bestowed upon boes friend, your humble servant. We ask You to continue Your goodness toward us; and as You have been pleased to restore boes friend toward recovery and health, so do You grant her soul Your blessings in this life and in the Life to come. You are due all glory and honor, All Holy Father, Merciful Son and Life creating Spirit, both now and ever, and to the ages of ages. Amen.

Amen

• Love 7
5 hours ago, pearlite said:

I hope this link will work...

I love these animals - capybaras!

I worked in the small zoo we had in the town I grew up in.  At the time it was an award winning zoo - I think our zoo director had either come from the San Diego Zoo or he left our zoo and went there...can't remember.  Anyhow, everything was natural...no cages with bars and from a distance, you'd look and think there was nothing keeping these animals in, but when you got right up on an exhibit, you'd see very fine netting.  I used to work in the little gift shop, and across from that was sort of a prairie area......and they had all of these capybaras.  I loved them and sometimes, I would get to feed them.  They are just the cutest!

Thanks for posting this - it allowed me to remember some wonderful things I'd forgotten about!

• Love 12

I think it’s taking a toll on a lot of us. A couple of my coworkers from different departments have been extremely rude, impatient and even disgusted w me the past few days. One was on the phone and kicked me out of her way. Another I have to interact with because I was preparing the food and drinks for a meal and she was just yelling, rolling her eyes, and banging shit at me, another timed me and was demanding I get out of the employee bathroom and what took so long (when there’s 3 other private employee bathrooms) I was brushing my teeth and fixing my lipstick then washing my hands off the clock. Like what the fuck is going on? It was very weird and I felt frustrated that I’m starting to eat shit over beyond idiotic reasons. 

Im already stressed out about my personal life and finances and at work help people elderly, handicapped, and terminally ill so like don’t want to be disrespected over bizarre shit because I will probably show that in my face and actions. The young woman with early onset dementia approached me to confide some paranoia she’s having over the other residents and then got all worried I looked sad. 

72541292_9bfb15c273_b.jpg

25 years ago, a prayer service gave hope to a shaken America -- Related: Team 5

Map of COVID-19 cases as of April 18, 2020, 12:20 A.M. (ET)  -- Tracking the novel coronavirus in the U.S. -- At least 700,933 cases of the highly contagious novel coronavirus have been reported in the United States and its territories, according to a Reuters tally of state and local government sources. The U.S. diagnosed its first COVID-19 case in Washington state on Jan. 20. 

The Administration breaks with it's own guidelines to back conservative anti-quarantine protesters -- Social media posts come amid growing frustration among some conservative groups over state mitigation measures.

In the Administration's ;'LIBERATE' tweets, extremists see a call to arms -- Trump's tweets pushed many online extremist communities to speculate whether the president was advocating for armed conflict, an event they’ve termed “the boogaloo." -- Related: As Covid-19 spreads, Trump makes a series of threats, many of them empty

800.jpeg

Protesters push back on stay-at-home orders

FBI: Government’s response to virus spurred would-be bomber

No plan in sight: Test troubles cloud Administration recovery effort

The Administration Says U.S. Has Enough Test Capacity Amid Shortage Concern -- State officials continue to cite a lack of sufficient testing. Administration to work with states to fully use unavailable capacity -- Related: Advisers warn Administration the push to reopen economy carries political risks -- Allies and aides inside and outside the White House have told the president there is more potential risk at going too fast than too slow.

Paycheck Protection Program billions went to large companies and missed virus hot spots

Some life insurers hit pause on older Americans during coronavirus crisis

Coronavirus Claims at Least 6,900 Nursing Home Deaths in U.S. -- Related: Kansas rehab worker showed up sick; 19 die at facility

Far more people may have been infected by coronavirus in one California county, study estimates

Recovered coronavirus patients are testing positive again. Can you get reinfected?

g2c_logo_with_flags-july2014.png

Feds go after self-described church in Florida selling bleaching agent as cure for COVID-19

Senate demand small business loan data -- Congress and the Federal Reserve are pouring trillions of dollars into the economy in an unprecedented effort to stave off massive layoffs. -- Related: 'I do worry about the optics': Congress struggles to get off the sidelines -- Lawmakers spend all day on the phones seeking help for their districts. But without a platform, they worry of a "do-nothing" Congress reputation.

Lawmakers eye return to Capitol in protest of pandemic shutdown in D.C.-- The move comes amid broader discontent with the slow pace of reopening society during the coronavirus outbreak.

Florida Rep. Matt Gaetz flouts House rules with district lease

Tribes sue over distribution of coronavirus relief funding

The Administration’s housing regulator refuses to bail out mortgage firms with public money -- Federal Housing Finance Agency Director Mark Calabria has long been on a crusade to shrink the footprint of Fannie and Freddie.

The Fed may have fundamentally altered the nature of risk in the stock market

Virus_Outbreak_Iran_Musicians_Photo_Essa

Associated Press Photos: In Iran, isolated musicians perform from rooftops

Stuck at home, music producers battle while fans party along

WWE cuts wrestlers after Florida deems it ‘essential’

Virtual racing drama dulls shine on popular NASCAR platform -- Every party needs a pooper ...

Texas judge rules all registered voters can vote by mail if they fear catching coronavirus

Chicago's biggest jail has released almost a fourth of its population over coronavirus fears

Another plague ship -- France finds more than 1,000 virus cases on aircraft carrier

800.jpeg

Belgian bluebells are too beautiful to see during pandemic

How China Sees the World -- And how we should see China

China moves to block new virus flare-up on Russian border

'Biological Chernobyl': How China's secrecy fueled coronavirus suspicions -- U.S. officials are still debating whether the virus emerged from a Chinese lab. But that's not stopping Faux News. -- Related: Virus-fueled conspiracy theories take aim at hospitals

Virus forced schools online, but many students didn’t follow

From another Oprah Winfrey-produced medical expert -- Dr. Phil Claims Shutdowns Deadlier Than Coronavirus In Wild Fox News Appearance

Faux News keeps inviting TV doctors on air who say crazy things -- Faux will broadcast anyone that will observe their management's narrow network-casting of political opinion. Increased media attention for the outrageous things they say add viewers/listeners and advertiser rates. The doctor's mission isn't about science or medicine. It's all about money. These people stopped practicing medicine the second they jumped on a media platform -- Forced to retract/explain/retreat: TV doctors Oz and Phil explaining controversial Faux comments

Why Boredom Affects Us So Much -- If being isolated at home is starting to feel like your own personal prison, it’s because tedium is also used as a severe form of carceral punishment.

The milkman is making a comeback as coronavirus keeps people from shopping

800.jpeg

Toxins are value-added! -- Administration moves to weaken EPA rule on toxic compounds

Latest court loss could end dune wars case at Jersey Shore -- EXTRA! Rich folks lose in court again.

Governor gives some Florida beaches green light to reopen -- Related: Amid coronavirus outbreak, Florida county pulls welcome mat

Sea turtles are thriving as coronavirus lockdown empties Florida beaches

Lori Vallow, mom of missing Idaho kids, investigated for death of husband's late wife -- Tammy Daybell died in October. Her death was initially ruled as natural but has since been classified as suspicious.

We’re Living in Phyllis Schlafly’s America -- A striking new miniseries reveals the conservative author’s deep impact on contemporary politics.

Ruth B. Mandel, champion of women in politics, dies at 81

BB12NHnY.img?h=782&w=730&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

Jupiter, Saturn, Mars and the moon to line up before sunrise this weekend

10 pioneer-era apple types thought extinct found in US West

Need for seed: Gardeners flock to stores, overwhelm websites

On Record Store Day, fans are buying vinyl to support struggling stores 

For Gloriole33 -- Click on video and listen to the entire album.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 3
  • Love 8
13 hours ago, Gloriole33 said:

Cupid Stunt, I love your avatar.  I have that album in my record collection and used to play "Mole on the Dole" on my radio show back in the '70s.

Where was your station located? Are you still on the air?

Thing2 played their FM/Live album last week and their albums are on rotation at home again; we go through waves of music interests and genres, but we've been keying in on the 70-80s lately.

• Love 9

BB12hfQS.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=

A couple stand in front of the "Lennon Wall" with a face mask attached to the image of John Lennon on April 6, 2020 in Prague where most activities slowed down or came to a halt due to the spread of the novel coronavirus COVID-19.  © MICHAL CIZEK, AFP via Getty Images

Volunteer Army, Millions of Tests Will Be Needed to Reopen California -- The Administration sets guidelines, but reality is left to the states. A civilian mobilization on a scale unseen since FDR’s New Deal will be needed. -- Related: California’s attorney general defends virus shutdowns

North Carolina deaths pass 100; protesters seek order’s end

‘I am so afraid’: India’s poor face world’s largest lockdown

‘Heartbreaking’ report shows virus ravaging NY nursing homes

920x920.jpg

'You hear the cries': Virus toll haunts a New York paramedic

Army Corps to build temporary hospital in Washington D.C. convention center -- The hospital could house anywhere from 500 to 1,500 patients.

'Massive blindspot': Missing data in COVID pandemic leaves US vulnerable -- There are more than 671,000 cases in the US. Experts worry it's much higher.

Coronavirus Task Force Briefing -- April 17, 2020

Interior official helped clear way for payments to ex-employer -- Indian Affairs assistant secretary faces scrutiny over decision giving for-profit corporations access to funds tribes say were intended for them alone.

Washington Gov. Inslee blasts the Administration for ‘fomenting domestic rebellion’

The Administration consults faith leaders on phased-in reopening -- They're not epidemiologists, but also have business investments to protect.

Watchdog panels slowly take shape over $2T in virus cash

Eager to return to normal, the Administration offers questionable coronavirus data -- To enforce the law they have sworn to uphold?

Hot spots erupt in farm belt states where governors insist lockdowns aren’t needed -- Cases in parts of the heartland are starting to spike, raising concern about new hot spots that could quash Trump’s push to reopen the economy. -- Related: Heartland hotspots: A sudden rise in coronavirus cases is hitting rural states without stay-at-home orders

Truthers UNTIE! -- Coronavirus is 'a lie': Hundreds gather in California to protest stay-at-home orders -- The demonstration was one of a handful to take place in the U.S. this week.

Coronavirus Outbreak May Have Started as Early as September, Scientists Say -- Related: Scientists have strong evidence coronavirus originated naturally -- Nothing suggests the virus was "man-made," experts say.

What the R0 tells us about Wuhan Coronavirus and what it doesn't

Antibody research indicates coronavirus may be far more widespread than known -- Of 3,300 people in California county up to 4% found to have been infected.

dff4097fae864e47948ec65541494135.jpg

Coronavirus’ reach from beyond the grave: Deceased body transmits COVID-19 -- It's technically possible to catch COVID-19 from the dead. -- Medieval gravediggers and graverobbers learned the hard way during the Black Plague, and developed thieves’ oil.

The Administration's new health care legacy: Big expansion of federal role -- The massive coronavirus spending features a new program experts say mirrors a single-payer system.

Under the Administration, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has retreated from the international leadership role it once played.

FEMA ships out nearly 20 million hydroxychloroquine tablets -- A spokesperson for the agency confirmed that it has sent out 19.1 million tablets, including to Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, Miami and Chicago. -- A drug not yet proven to be effective on Coronavirus.

Report: Covid-19 patients recovering quickly after getting experimental drug remdesivir

Administration Officials Warned Against Halting Funding to WHO, Leaked Memo Shows -- A draft State Department memo says the move would “cede ground” to China and hobble the global response to the coronavirus pandemic.

China increases Wuhan coronavirus death toll by 50% -- China added 1,290 deaths, revising its numbers for Wuhan.

Despite Federal Ban, Landlords Are Still Moving to Evict People During the Pandemic -- ProPublica found landlords in at least four states have violated the ban, which was put in place by the CARES Act but has no clear enforcement mechanism.

Russian jet flies within 25 feet of U.S. spy plane in "unsafe" high-speed maneuver, Navy says

Senator Richard Burr Sold D.C. Townhouse to Donor at Above-Market Price -- In a private transaction, Richard Burr, Republican of North Carolina, sold the townhouse to lobbyists who had business before his committees. 

200414150116-09-william-eggleston-photog

William Eggleston's color photos of the everyday were shocking for their banality

‘Ellen’ Crew Furious Over Poor Communication Regarding Pay, Non-Union Workers During Coronavirus Shutdown -- Influencing the people that make you look good on TV.

Attorney General Barr Refuses to Release 9/11 Documents to Families of the Victims -- The move comes after the Administration promised to help families, who accuse Saudi Arabia of complicity in the attacks. Barr says he cannot even explain why the material must stay secret without putting national security at risk. -- Protecting allies from public scrutiny is a hard job.

The Gig Economy Has Never Been Tested By a Pandemic

How You'll Grocery Shop After the Pandemic -- Related: Why your local grocery store is making a comeback -- It never went away.

Why Walmart Hasn't Crushed Regional Grocery Stores -- Because Walmart groceries aren't that great of a deal and the stores suck?

15 Best Old School Superfoods -- We all like what's new and shiny, but don't forget about these tried-and-true superfoods!

ows_13984558312215.jpg

Land O’Lakes Removes American Indian ‘Butter Maiden’ From Packaging

The Administration’s Economic Council for Restaurants Is Just a Bunch of Chains and Four Fine Dining Chefs -- Thomas Keller, Wolfgang Puck, Jean-Georges Vongerichten, and Daniel Boulud are the only independent operators involved

Top 15 Nutrition Tips During Quarantine -- Tips on how you can be feeling your absolute best at home.

A Catholic diocese is reopening for Mass despite a statewide stay-at-home order

Louisiana Megachurch Pastor Claims Parishioner Did Not Die of Coronavirus -- The coroner disagrees.

Why conservative politicians are exploiting the coronavirus crisis to limit access to abortions -- Because they can?

SCOTUS won’t face abortion case after lower court eases Texas’ pandemic ban -- However, numerous challenges to similar state bans amid the coronavirus emergency are still winding through the courts.

51d323a5eae80c07b4da3ab344324796.png

Even Banksy is working from home during the lockdown

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
On 4/16/2020 at 6:42 AM, lovemesomejoolery said:

Your last paragraph gutted me......in many respects it is how I have felt from the beginning.  I used to be able to push it down and just move on through the day.  I don't sleep, or sleep well when I do sleep, which has really done a number on my daily life.  I'm sleeping in the day, taking fitful naps, and then am wide awake at all hours of the night.  For a time, I stopped watching the news and only reading it at night with several newspapers I have subscriptions to.  I thought it was the politics of it all that had me so upended.  That certainly hasn't helped, but I've had a revelation that it's not that at all.....you mentioned Kübler-Ross.....and last weekend I had an epiphany.

I have been walking through the stages of grief.  I am just deeply, deeply saddened at this point.  So I think right now I might be in the "depression" stage.  I know that I have to find a balance here, but I don't know how and if I do find that balance, does that mean I've given up?  

I try to find things to fill my day, to keep me awake.  I go out and talk to my neighbors, see if they need anything.  I've taken to actually using the fitness equipment I have in my house - LOL!  I don't think it helps to calm my soul, but maybe I'll lose a few pounds or at least not gain 100 because of all the crap I'm eating.  My husband is going through the exact same thing, so as always, we are two peas in a pod and I am so grateful for him.  I just try and feel grateful and take joy in small things, anything, as hard as they are to find sometimes given our predicament. 

I don't have any answers, I just wanted you to know that I heard you and empathize.  Here's to a better afternoon or tomorrow for all of us!

I don't know if this will help you, but for me, if I have to watch or read the news, I do so in the mornings only. The bad news is usually diluted by bedtime and then I only watch my brain-douching shows at night; something light (Golden Girls!).

I'm thankful for all of you. It makes me feel better to come here and understand that I am not alone in my anxiety. You are all so bright and funny, I feel a wash of relief after I catch up for the day.

On 4/16/2020 at 9:50 AM, peacheslatour said:

I had a friend a long time ago who had broken off a cap on his front tooth. He would use Super glue to hold it in when he went out. One time he tilted his head back to apply the glue and it went down his throat. His throat was glued shut for about 5 minutes before the hot water we were pouring down it opened it back up. Stupid kids.

This gave me anxiety at the thought. I have a weird fear of being asphyxiated or having my throat cut- maybe I choked (or worse) in a former life.

@boes I am beyond happy to hear about your friend! That news has made my morning.❤️

549997402_orleanderhawkmoth.JPG.63f613cd486a1a38ef9283b064949eb8.JPG

This beautiful creature -Orleander Hawk Moth- was on my bathroom window screen all day yesterday.

puks.JPG.2806d54d3df703a5997ad8befc8ce15f.JPGsabes.JPG.576fe2a764389ae05931dd1f11ab6566.JPG

Happy Caturday from Puka and Kemosabe!

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
20 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

demanding I get out of the employee bathroom and what took so long

Fuuuuuck that! This is when you have a standard TMI answer that makes them embarrassed for asking. "The string broke on my tampon"; "explosive diarrhea"; "touched cloth"; "I'll never tell..." and wink; "I can't imagine that anything would be gained by clarifying the reason for you".

• Useful 2
  • LOL 7
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

my radio show back in the '70s.

My first gig was WAYE AM 860 in Baltimore.  I was the first female air personality in the market and eventually got the morning drive slot.  I was also a production director, music director and finally program director.  That's the short story.  As FM radio became more dominant our little operation faded, and I left when we abandoned album rock for a hits-only format.  After a stint as the assistant manager of the Doubleday Book Store in Century City, CA I returned to PA and got back into radio, this time in news.  Yadda yadda yadda another morning show and then I went to Atlanta where I did news on AM radio under one name and news, traffic reporting and comedy on FM using another name.  Gave up the AM job and wound up being the music director on the FM when it went classic rock.  Back to PA doing news for an AM-FM combo and finally "retired" during the Clinton scandal because I just couldn't take it anymore and Clear Channel was breathing down our neck and I probably would have been fired anyway.   So that's my time in radio, 1973-1999.

• Love 11
6 hours ago, jpagan05 said:

puks.JPG.2806d54d3df703a5997ad8befc8ce15f.JPGsabes.JPG.576fe2a764389ae05931dd1f11ab6566.JPG

Happy Caturday from Puka and Kemosabe!

Who needs skritches and treaties? Puka and Kemo, dats' who!

4 hours ago, Gloriole33 said:

My first gig was WAYE AM 860 in Baltimore.  I was the first female air personality in the market and eventually got the morning drive slot.  I was also a production director, music director and finally program director.  That's the short story.  As FM radio became more dominant our little operation faded, and I left when we abandoned album rock for a hits-only format.  After a stint as the assistant manager of the Doubleday Book Store in Century City, CA I returned to PA and got back into radio, this time in news.  Yadda yadda yadda another morning show and then I went to Atlanta where I did news on AM radio under one name and news, traffic reporting and comedy on FM using another name.  Gave up the AM job and wound up being the music director on the FM when it went classic rock.  Back to PA doing news for an AM-FM combo and finally "retired" during the Clinton scandal because I just couldn't take it anymore and Clear Channel was breathing down our neck and I probably would have been fired anyway.   So that's my time in radio, 1973-1999.

Well done, Gloriole. That's an exellent broadcasting career. You were everywhere and covered all the essential station positions. Doubleday Book Store in Century City takes me back.

Then Clear Channel/Now iHeartMedia and Cumulus Media are twin demons of commercial radio. The people trying to escape their clutches tell the most entertaining stories about the executive class; cutthroat doesn't come close to describing their management style. <Yeesh!>

The dry cleaner reopened today (the laundromat was still in operation). I picked up clothes and dropped off blankets. I dropped off two pair of shoes and boots that need reconditioning (python) at the next door shoe repairman. 

Amoeba Music was having a parking lot sale (social distancing and masks to enter) for Record Store Day. I picked up a vinyl order made about 7 weeks ago and a tee shirt.

Main1-300x188.jpg

The rest of the day was lounging with Melvin, listening to music.

Mr.Stunt continues to grind out commercials, and the Thing's were 3D printing for the day. 

Big Mama's Pizza night!

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

The dry cleaner reopened today (the laundromat was still in operation).

Dry cleaners and laundromats are considered essential services here.  Go figure.  

@Cupid Stunt, I just want to thank you again for doing the research I need in my life and posting so many important links.

lost and found thank you GIF by Lost & Found Music Studios

• Love 11
15 hours ago, jpagan05 said:

Fuuuuuck that! This is when you have a standard TMI answer that makes them embarrassed for asking. "The string broke on my tampon"; "explosive diarrhea"; "touched cloth"; "I'll never tell..." and wink; "I can't imagine that anything would be gained by clarifying the reason for you".

I said basically same in polite terms since it was terribly out of place. I just have experienced or seen people on frayed nerves or acting bizarre now from this. Normality is thrown out the window. In some ways that’s what bothers me most. That this is causing people in the industry to rage out and that so many who are terminally ill are confined from family. One resident who knew/saw I was being blown shit by a coworker was waiting for me to come into work yesterday, asking when I’ll be in and concerned, and said to me “I’d kill anyone who hurts you” then later “I’ll remember all you did and will be waiting and serve you in the afterlife” (repeated) I laughed and told him I might get there before him and then made him a strong k cup coffee, not the usual drip stuff we serve. The young woman w early onset dementia was also concerned and was waiting for me.  I do feel better though, some coworkers did actually validate me and show appreciation. But the one yelling at me and banging shit I don’t want to deal with again. 

I love @lovemesomejoolery capycaras. I’m a huge animal lover but always loved them since 6th grade when I lead a talk at a bookstore about exotic animals. 

@boes that’s great news which I and I’m sure many were praying for. Fuck this virus and all it brings. I am so sorry this hit your loved ones, like no one deserves it, but amazing people who are the best of everything it especially is fucked up and cruel. 

The main sadness is that so many are confined or isolated with so few weeks left or already started their decline during this. For many their last cognizant weeks have been spent isolated away from family or society. It has me and I’m sure some others confused since we want this over but not sure if it can or at what cost. The future is very uncertain pertaining to the pandemic.

This won’t be the only tragedy of 2020 for the US. I saw it would be a natural disaster or an attack and we won’t be able to handle it. 

• Love 7

GettyImages-1209443858-1024x683.jpg

A pedestrian walks by a coronavirus street art piece showing a man wearing a protective mask in Shanghai, China. Photo by Yifan Ding/Getty Images.

We’re not overreacting to the coronavirus -- With the coronavirus, the right action looks like an overreaction as it’s happening.

A Texas court battle could decide if millions are disenfranchised during the pandemic -- The Texas state attorney general is threatening criminal prosecutions against pro-voting activists. -- Related: How the coronavirus might upend the November election

The Coronavirus in America: The Year Ahead

Coronavirus Task Force Briefing -- April 18, 2020

No one can opt out of this pandemic. And that will change us forever -- Thomas de Zengotita on why life during coronavirus will have “a permanent effect on people’s respect for reality.”

States and cities are “falling off a cliff” as the economic crisis sets in -- Related: First, the coronavirus pandemic took their jobs. Then, it wiped out their health insurance.

March’s record-breaking collapse in retail sales, explained -- This is more bad news for the economy.

Breakingviews - Hoarding to extend sell-by date of tired brands

A New York facility for low-income seniors illustrates the many left behind during coronavirus

Racial toll of virus grows even starker as more data emerges

The pandemic has exposed America’s clean water crisis -- Millions live without access to clean water in the US, and the coronavirus has left them in further turmoil.

?m=02&d=20200418&t=2&i=1515566135&w=780&

Doctor Katharina Franz and paramedic Andreas Hankel, of the rescue helicopter "Christoph Giessen", resuscitate a patient during preparations for his transport in the special isolation chamber "IsoArk", for highly infectious coronavirus disease patients, from a clinic in Hanau, Germany, April 16, 2020. REUTERS/Kai Pfaffenbach

Reuters Photos: Life and death in ICUs around the world

Virus pandemic collides with the Administration’s disdain for foreign aid

Trump Challenges China, Iran Reporting on the Coronavirus

Record government and corporate debt risks ‘tipping point’ after pandemic passes

Contamination at CDC lab delayed rollout of coronavirus tests -- <shakes head> No double-blind testing?

America’s embarrassingly mediocre coronavirus testing, in 2 charts -- The US has improved from “horrifically bad” to “woefully short” on Covid-19 tests.

U.S. banks seek term changes as Fed finalizes Main Street Lending Program

The Administration team’s use of big insurer to dispense recovery funds comes under scrutiny -- It's all about the money. A White House economist with close ties to UnitedHealth is helping oversee a program administered by the firm.

The US has a national service for predicting the weather. It needs one for predicting disease. -- The case for a national infectious disease prediction center. __ The NSA, CDC, NIH, FDA, EPA, Agriculture and State Department, and other divisions of government all were studying and researching infectious disease, inside and outside of the U.S. They were either shut down or had funds severely cut by the present Administration.

The Administration’s Wild West approach to virus cure-alls is a game-changer for drugmakers -- It's all about the money … The PR game concerns policy experts who say pressure on FDA could fuel decisions made on thin ground.

'Medication I can't live without': Lupus patients are struggling to get hydroxychloroquine diverted for COVID-19 -- An unproven treatment for coronavirus.

The lifeline pipeline -- A status report of upcoming testing, treatments and vaccines for coronavirus.

BB12Qu5V.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=

With Broad, Random Tests for Antibodies, Germany Seeks Path Out of Lockdown

I voted in South Korea’s elections. This is what democracy can look like in a pandemic. -- It involved a lot of hand sanitizer, masks, and disposable gloves.

Singapore had a model coronavirus response, then cases spiked. What happened?

The coronavirus likely came from China’s wet markets. They’re reopening anyway. -- Should wet markets be banned? It’s more complicated than it seems.

Explainer: Who's WHO? The World Health Organization under scrutiny

A Key Partisan Strategy: Blame China. But the Administration Goes Off Message.

Coronavirus testing needs to go up by 350,000 per day for the US to reopen, Harvard researchers say

The Administration and state governors are on a collision course over coronavirus testing

Why coronavirus conspiracy theories have spread so quickly -- “Conspiracy theories flourish in times of crisis, which is obviously the case here.”

800.jpeg

Virus in New England: Anti-lockdown protest in New Hampshire -- This is how you peacefully assemble? With assault weapons and body armor to exercise your 1st Amendment rights?

Walk, run or surf - but don’t sunbathe on Florida beaches -- Move along. Nothing to catch here.

The scramble to feed the kids left hungry by the coronavirus crisis -- Cafeteria workers and school nutrition directors from five districts across the country explain how meal programs are working now.

With no school, calls drop but child abuse hasn’t amid virus

4b7e0a4bba678c88c6a85311e6e634a48d856ce4

Asia Today: Singapore sees huge surge in new virus cases

New wave of infections threatens to collapse Japan hospitals

Africa deaths above 1,000, including Nigerian chief of staff

Seattle is emerging as a role model for handling coronavirus in the U.S.

Longstanding issues put Native American communities at high COVID-19 risk

Why the national stockpile wasn’t prepared for this pandemic -- The US government stockpiles medical supplies like ventilators and PPE. Here’s why it failed. 

Conservatives Fuel Protests Against Coronavirus Lockdowns -- Second wave-building in a plague year.

Charlie Kirk calls on members to launch 'peaceful rebellion against governors' over stay-at-home orders -- "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants." … To continue the historic  misappropriation of Thomas Jefferson.

Boom times for cannabis businesses as Californians, in a pandemic fog, isolate indoors

Is the Coronavirus Killing Off Cash? -- Tech firms see the opportunity they’ve been waiting for as shoppers and business recoil from paper money. Who’s hurt when legal tender goes away? -- The drug dealers on Pico don't take Visa.

Young Americans Are Still Catching Up From the Last Recession. Now There's a New One.

'This Is Going to Kill Small-Town America'

Some Industries are booming amid the coronavirus pandemic

main-768x363.png

A breath of fresh air -- How air quality has improved during the coronavirus crisis

‘Holy Fire’ ceremony held in empty Jerusalem church

Lockdown weighs heavily on Orthodox Christians during Easter

Essential Benefits You Can Receive on Unemployment

800.jpeg

10 years after BP spill: Oil drilled deeper; rules relaxed

How coronavirus is causing confusion with states' alcohol laws -- How can there suddenly be a issue with one of the most heavily regulated and taxed comestibles in the U.S.? Crossing state lines to buy liquor is a time-honored tradition. If spreading coronavirus to border communities is the result, they're not using the disinfecting properties of alcohol properly …  ; )

Broadway star Nick Cordero had his leg amputated due to coronavirus complications

Photos capture North Korea ships' sanctions busting in Chinese waters: U.N. report

Shel Silverstein’s extremely cozy houseboat is for sale -- WANT!

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
9 hours ago, bannana said:

Dry cleaners and laundromats are considered essential services here. 

The husband and wife that own the dry cleaner/hand laundry were closed because they "had the Corona." The city/state powers that be had to certify the dry cleaner's reopening after fumigation, but there's a huge backlog of inspections and testing in LA.

The laundromat owned by the same family and operated by their daughter-in-law, is in a separate storefront, and was open as an essential service. 

@Cupid Stunt, I just want to thank you again for doing the research I need in my life and posting so many important links.

lost and found thank you GIF by Lost & Found Music Studios

(((bananna)))

You're very welcome. There's been excellent news coverage of the pandemic, and journalists are doing news media proud. I used to work the news desk early in my radio career, and try to find accurate and concise information Prevert's can use.

1 hour ago, Petunia13 said:

I said basically same in polite terms since it was terribly out of place. I just have experienced or seen people on frayed nerves or acting bizarre now from this. Normality is thrown out the window. In some ways that’s what bothers me most. That this is causing people in the industry to rage out and that so many who are terminally ill are confined from family. One resident who knew/saw I was being blown shit by a coworker was waiting for me to come into work yesterday, asking when I’ll be in and concerned, and said to me “I’d kill anyone who hurts you” then later “I’ll remember all you did and will be waiting and serve you in the afterlife” (repeated) I laughed and told him I might get there before him and then made him a strong k cup coffee, not the usual drip stuff we serve. The young woman w early onset dementia was also concerned and was waiting for me.  I do feel better though, some coworkers did actually validate me and show appreciation. But the one yelling at me and banging shit I don’t want to deal with again. 

I love @lovemesomejoolery capycaras. I’m a huge animal lover but always loved them since 6th grade when I lead a talk at a bookstore about exotic animals. 

@boes that’s great news which I and I’m sure many were praying for. Fuck this virus and all it brings. I am so sorry this hit your loved ones, like no one deserves it, but amazing people who are the best of everything it especially is fucked up and cruel. 

The main sadness is that so many are confined or isolated with so few weeks left or already started their decline during this. For many their last cognizant weeks have been spent isolated away from family or society. It has me and I’m sure some others confused since we want this over but not sure if it can or at what cost. The future is very uncertain pertaining to the pandemic.

This won’t be the only tragedy of 2020 for the US. I saw it would be a natural disaster or an attack and we won’t be able to handle it. 

It's been months of grief, worry and frustration with "the Corona." The truth is, many of us have hit a wall -- I did, and it was all I could process. We're gutted by the death toll. We're disturbed by the government's shortcomings. We're being deliberately antagonized by political rhetoric that bears no resemblance to the reality on the ground. We're worried about family and friends who are sick or losing their jobs, and kids who are missing school, and senior citizens who are living in fear.

I think about our post-pandemic future; I don't think we'll return to what was before coronavirus, if ever, for many years to come. The pandemic will continue taking it's toll. It's a relentless enemy. And we have few tools, except common sense, to slow it's progress.

We live with "the Corona" and hate it's path of devastation. It's necessary to embrace the vulnerabilities of our communities, and ask "What can I do?" Our lives are relatively easy compared with health care workers on the front lines (like you) and laid-off workers struggling with unemployment.

I know you're tired, numb from the hard work and anxiety. We still have to soldier on, to pick up our burden, to do whatever is needed to protect the vulnerable and ourselves.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 10
18 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Amoeba Music

Have you been to the one in San Fransisco? A friend of mine has worked there for decades. It would be fun to find a one-degree of separation here😊

• Love 8
46 minutes ago, jpagan05 said:

Have you been to the one in San Fransisco? A friend of mine has worked there for decades. It would be fun to find a one-degree of separation here😊

I go there a lot!  Not lately, but usually once a month

• Love 7

Are you still looking for names for your band, @OhioSongbird and @peacheslatour?  I have a few suggestions:  Abundance of Caution, The Droplettes, Death Cult 45, The Dissembling Birx, Indicovidual 19. We have a radio industry insider in @Cupid Stunt, and I think we can sweet-talk her into getting our first single I Take No Responsibility At All into heavy rotation.  The B-side can be a hardcore cover of Better Midler's From A Distance.  I can be your Ruben Kinkade.  Well, maybe more like your Danny Partridge.  Useless wise-ass sounds more like me.

Edited by Snaporaz
  • LOL 11

Oopsy, I accidentally hit send before I was finished!  I also meant to say that I'm so happy to hear about your friend, @boes!  I had a crappy stressful few days and needed some good news.  

And you have some very handsome kitties, @jpagan05!  Please give them a few Temptations from their Uncle Snaporaz!

• LOL 3
  • Love 8

Please note that links to articles about "the government" and "the administration" are political in nature and are not allowed in the forums, including small talk.  Further violations will result in warnings.