Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

Big virtual hugs to everyone. 

@Petunia13 you are so good. I wish that you would think about staying home. I worry about you. I understand the money thing. We just had an $1900 car repair bill. Our struts were gone. Right now I'm just thinking - "put it on my tab". We are financially fucked but so is (most) everyone else. I don't want you to get sick.

My girlfriend asked me to go for a walk today. Her and her husband were both sick, probably with the virus, but never tested. They are better now, thank god, but she had such a hard time. She's super young but has asthma. I was so worried but all I could do was bring food and leave it at their door. I haven't wanted to leave the house and was particularly depressed today and she is so upbeat and sweet. We are not allowed to go to the beach unless it's for exercise or fishing. We walked from her house to the beach and this guy was just hanging out...

honu.jpg.b44bebc8ac5c037a8b90f5335156c1df.jpg

It's like he knew we needed to see him. We went swimming and he was there the entire time. When we left I said "bye!" and he lifted his head and turned toward us. It was magical.

• Love 13
4 minutes ago, jpagan05 said:

Big virtual hugs to everyone. 

@Petunia13 you are so good. I wish that you would think about staying home. I worry about you. I understand the money thing. We just had an $1900 car repair bill. Our struts were gone. Right now I'm just thinking - "put it on my tab". We are financially fucked but so is (most) everyone else. I don't want you to get sick.

My girlfriend asked me to go for a walk today. Her and her husband were both sick, probably with the virus, but never tested. They are better now, thank god, but she had such a hard time. She's super young but has asthma. I was so worried but all I could do was bring food and leave it at their door. I haven't wanted to leave the house and was particularly depressed today and she is so upbeat and sweet. We are not allowed to go to the beach unless it's for exercise or fishing. We walked from her house to the beach and this guy was just hanging out...

honu.jpg.b44bebc8ac5c037a8b90f5335156c1df.jpg

It's like he knew we needed to see him. We went swimming and he was there the entire time. When we left I said "bye!" and he lifted his head and turned toward us. It was magical.

Oh wow, that is awesome.  So by exercise, can you go to the beach and swim?  But just not hang out on the beach?  Cause if I was there, I would be okay with that.  I usually swam a couple hours a day when I would visit.  Of course I also hung out  on the beach and read books and did NYT crosswords!

• Love 9

Quebec now has over 5000 cases and cops are fining people who aren't obeying social distancing up to $6000. My boss' wife at the physio place called and said I should go on unemployment because even if the government subsidies 75% of my pay like they're saying, they can't afford to pay me the remaining 25%. 

My mom has shingles which sucks but other than that, everyone is doing relatively well. We could certainly be doing a lot worse. 

ETA: I love turtles and that sea turtle is gorgeous. I would have loved to have seen him. Thanks for sharing 😄

• Love 7
1 hour ago, jewel21 said:

Quebec now has over 5000 cases and cops are fining people who aren't obeying social distancing up to $6000. My boss' wife at the physio place called and said I should go on unemployment because even if the government subsidies 75% of my pay like they're saying, they can't afford to pay me the remaining 25%. 

My mom has shingles which sucks but other than that, everyone is doing relatively well. We could certainly be doing a lot worse. 

ETA: I love turtles and that sea turtle is gorgeous. I would have loved to have seen him. Thanks for sharing 😄

@jewel21 I attended a webinar today on CERB and it is worth looking into it and how it relates to EI benefits. IOW, you could potentially get both, but it depends on a few things.  If they provide me a link to the webinar I can DM it to you.

• Love 7

share-card.png

Initial jobless claims: The Unemployment line, seen from space

Coronavirus could lead to the highest unemployment levels since the Great Depression -- The jobs report will be far too rosy. The reality is much grimmer.

Thousands of U.S. banks may sit out small-business rescue plan on liability worries: sources

Coronavirus Task Force Briefing -- April 2, 2020

C.I.A. Hunts for Authentic Virus Totals in China, Dismissing Government Tallies -- Snipe hunt for who to blame? Where was the CIA in December when this began?

The 1,000-Bed Comfort Was Supposed to Aid New York. It Has 20 Patients.

US exported millions in masks, ventilators, other PPE ahead of coronavirus crisis here

The Coronavirus Doesn't Discriminate, But U.S. Health Care Showing Familiar Biases

Polls find partisanship plays a role in perception of coronavirus pandemic -- Just another day.

Twitter deletes 20,000 fake accounts linked to Saudi, Serbian and Egyptian governments -- Accounts also linked to Honduras and Indonesia violated policy and were ‘targeted attempt to undermine the public conversation’

White House senior adviser Jared Kushner made his first appearance in the White House coronavirus briefing on FEMA supply chain issues

Coronavirus pandemic takes mental, physical toll on health care workers

?m=02&d=20200331&t=2&i=1510741496&w=780&

A healthcare worker sits on a bench near Central Park in Manhattan, New York City, March 30, 2020. REUTERS/Jeenah Moon -- Reuters Photos - April 2, 2020: On the frontlines of the coronavirus pandemic

NYU Langone tells emergency doctors to consider who gets intubated, WSJ reports

U.S. Navy relieves aircraft carrier commander who wrote letter urging coronavirus action

Engineer Arrested For Derailing Train Near USNS Mercy, Claimed Ship Part Of ‘Government Takeover’

FBI investigate if suspect in train derailment near ship is tied to extremist groups

‘I’m Scared’: Wisconsin Election Puts Poll Workers at Risk of Virus

As coronavirus cases surge in Florida, fears mount that action came too late

Can you fix ventilators? A fuel cell engineer figures it out

Mortgage defaults could pile up at pace that dwarfs 2008

It took her 20 years to claw out of poverty. Coronavirus could take it all away

U.S. dairy farmers dump milk as pandemic upends food markets

Trump Organization Seeks Financial Help as Coronavirus Takes Toll

Israel seals off ultra-Orthodox town hit hard by coronavirus

200331114437-france-pharmacy-0316-exlarg

Women are using code words at pharmacies to escape domestic violence during lockdown

Exclusive: Opioid supply crunch for U.S. coronavirus patients prompts appeal to relax limits

Florida reaches deal to allow two cruise ships to dock, passengers to disembark

Leaked memo: Amazon strategy to attack Staten Island, NY strike organizer as 'not smart'

Humans are terrible at social distancing. Here's what to do about it

64d3b774cc10255aaee3fd227f99e47e.gif

How to train yourself not to touch your face

Coronavirus could trigger biggest fall in carbon emissions since World War Two

California rules anger water agencies, environmental groups

Florida Megachurch Pastor Cancels Services After Arrest for Breaking Coronavirus Rules

Bucky Pizzarelli, Jazz Guitarist And Prolific Session Musician, Dead At 94

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

After yesterday's daily political rally presser about federal efforts during this crisis, I did a very quick check on the web.

Don't be fooled.  The National Strategic Stockpile is exactly what is, exactly what desperate state Governor's are asking for help with, not "as a favor" or for being "nice" to those in power.  It is not, as was stated yesterday, for "them" but for "us" in an emergency.  It says so, right on the website! 

From the U.S. Health & Human Services website https://www.phe.gov/about/sns/Pages/default.aspx

image.png

• Useful 6
  • Love 3

For a diversion, I can tell you about live online grocery shopping in Toronto... I sure as hell am not going into a large-format store. Or, at this point, any store--edging into the age where we're not supposed to do so, and mild asthma. Mind you, a 93 year-old neighbour who walks every day, rain or shine, is still grocery shopping in stores. I told him not to, and he told me rotisserie chickens were on cheap and that his hip operation was postponed.

Once you get a time-slot for a delivery, the system lets you shop. The time-slot's the tough part--that's assuming the system doesn't crash or time out. After trying one store [Metro for TO people], I gave up and managed another [Loblaws--TO]. The sites vary, in terms of ease of operation.

The "fun," if we can call it that is that your shopper texts you as she/he shops--about substitutions, and so on. For some reason, flour has dried up here. It doesn't speak well for my mental health that I enjoyed the exchange. So you kind of watch them go around the store and they tell you what's available.

How's that for mundane?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 8
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, pearlite said:

For a diversion, I can tell you about live online grocery shopping in Toronto... I sure as hell am not going into a large-format store. Or, at this point, any store--edging into the age where we're not supposed to do so, and mild asthma. Mind you, a 93 year-old neighbour who walks every day, rain or shine, is still grocery shopping in stores. I told him not to, and he told me rotisserie chickens were on cheap and that his hip operation was postponed.

Once you get a time-slot for a delivery, the system lets you shop. The time-slot's the tough part--that's assuming the system doesn't crash or time out. After trying one store [Metro for TO people], I gave up and managed another [Loblaws--TO]. The sites vary, in terms of ease of operation.

The "fun," if we can call it that is that your shopper texts you as she/he shops--about substitutions, and so on. For some reason, flour has dried up here. It doesn't speak well for my mental health that I enjoyed the exchange. So you kind of watch them go around the store and they tell you what's available.

How's that for mundane?

Flour has dried up here, too.  A friend who doesn't bake brought me a bag of gluten free flour and I thanked her with gratitude though I haven't a clue of how to properly use it, and my gluten free friends are very discouraging about using it. But I have plenty of the real stuff in hand since I bake a lot anyway. 

I'm with Ohiosongbird, mundane away!  We can use whatever normalcy we can find.

Edited by boes
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

After yesterday's daily political rally presser about federal efforts during this crisis, I did a very quick check on the web.

Don't be fooled.  The National Strategic Stockpile is exactly what is, exactly what desperate state Governor's are asking for help with, not "as a favor" or for being "nice" to those in power.  It is not, as was stated yesterday, for "them" but for "us" in an emergency.  It says so, right on the website! 

From the U.S. Health & Human Services website https://www.phe.gov/about/sns/Pages/default.aspx

image.png

I read elsewhere in a quote of Daniel Dale’s, that the site was changed to reflect what the walking dead mannequin was saying. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
(edited)

I went online this morning, shortly before I posted it here, and copied and pasted.  It must have been changed shortly afterwards!  For whatever it's worth, I am glad that people like Daniel have snapshots of the before and after.  He is awesome at fact checking.

I just don't understand how we got here.  That thought alone makes this so difficult to endure.  The despair I feel over this kind of stuff - right in front of our eyes!! - makes me just feel so utterly helpless. And hopeless.

Edited by lovemesomejoolery
  • Love 4

Thanks....I only saw a couple of eps of that.  Like the cast but had other conflicting shows at the time.

I am cableless (not enough folks on our stretch of road for them to run access) so we are air TV on satellite but do get some cool channels like DABL, ION, MeTV and others.  Plus YouTube is my buddy.  I love BBC shows like Mrs. Brown's Boys.  If you haven't seen it check it out.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, OhioSongbird said:

Thanks....I only saw a couple of eps of that.  Like the cast but had other conflicting shows at the time.

I am cableless (not enough folks on our stretch of road for them to run access) so we are air TV on satellite but do get some cool channels like DABL, ION, MeTV and others.  Plus YouTube is my buddy.  I love BBC shows like Mrs. Brown's Boys.  If you haven't seen it check it out.

I love the Beeb. What's that one about?

• Love 6

It's a male Brit comedian (whose name escapes me) who plays Mrs. Brown.  A larger than life Mum with 4-5 grown kids who exasperate her to no end.

Raunchy, bawdy, wonderful characters. Taped live and they break the 4th wall a lot, try to mess each other up, ad lib all over the place.  Definitely worth a look see.

Thanks Snaporaz!

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Thank you friend Snaporaz! No party this year but hubby bought me a cake. He;s worried because I haven't been eating.

As my grandmother would say, EAT, darling, eat!

giphy.gif

Happy Birthday!

• LOL 6
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

He was a lawyer played by Chachi on Arrested Development.

The “Bob Loblaw” joke was around in Canada long before Arrested Development, I believe - can any other Canadians here corroborate?

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
(edited)
21 hours ago, bannana said:

Oh wow, that is awesome.  So by exercise, can you go to the beach and swim?  But just not hang out on the beach?  Cause if I was there, I would be okay with that.  I usually swam a couple hours a day when I would visit.  Of course I also hung out  on the beach and read books and did NYT crosswords!

Yeah, no more than two people can swim, jog, surf, SUP, walk dogs; just no hanging out. And yes, I do realize how lucky that makes me. I can't wait until I am able read and watch the sunset at the beach again. It's such a blessing and it's free. But I get anxiety leaving the house. A second person has died here- 52yo, and the cases are growing exponentially. Of course we are a bit behind the mainland and there is no way our one shitty hospital could handle it if we became an "epicenter". The decent hospitals are on Oahu but there's no getting there now.

Anyhow, I'm trying to not post scared or negative shit. Happy Birthday @SweePea59,  @peacheslatour and @OhioSongbird!! Peaches, I hope you can eat your weight in cake and Ohio, I'm glad and relieved you are back. 

@jewel21 Good luck tomorrow!❤️

Edited by jpagan05
  • Love 12
(edited)
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Thank you friend Snaporaz! No party this year but hubby bought me a cake. He;s worried because I haven't been eating.

Eat the cake!  Make your decadent dip!  You deserve to celebrate, my sister from another mister!  Oh, and I'm sorry for saying we're living a nightmare.  I didn't mean to say something negative on your birthday. 

I have to pick up a prescription for my dad tomorrow, and I'm a tad nervous.  I've been doing all the grocery shopping for my parents the last few weeks.  Grocery shopping is one chore I actually enjoy, but now it's like a suicide mission.  Wear a mask.  Don't wear a mask.  Where do you even get a mask?  Make your own mask.  Use an old t-shirt to make a mask.  Don't use a t-shirt to make a mask, use denim.  Make a mask out of paper towels.  If you can find paper towels.  Wash your hands before you put on the mask and after you put on the mask.  Wash the mask as soon as you get home.  Don't wash the mask with the rest of your laundry.  I'm.So.CONFUZZED!  

I don't think I'm cut out for life in the MAGApocalypse...

Edited by Snaporaz
  • LOL 5
  • Love 6
16 minutes ago, Snaporaz said:

Eat the cake!  Make your decadent dip!  You deserve to celebrate, my sister from another mister!  Oh, and I'm sorry for saying we're living a nightmare.  I didn't mean to say something negative on your birthday. 

I have to pick up a prescription for my dad tomorrow, and I'm a tad nervous.  I've been doing all the grocery shopping for my parents the last few weeks.  Grocery shopping is one chore I actually enjoy, but now it's like a suicide mission.  Wear a mask.  Don't wear a mask.  Where do you even get a mask?  Make your own mask.  Use an old t-shirt to make a mask.  Don't use a t-shirt to make a mask, use denim.  Make a mask out of paper towels.  If you can find paper towels.  Wash your hands before you put on the mask and after you put on the mask.  Wash the mask as soon as you get home.  Don't wash the mask with the rest of your laundry.  I'm.So.CONFUZZED!  

I went to Safeway today. I wore a cloth mask. The CDC has said to now. Wear a bandana (or a silk scarf!), and gloves if you've got them. Try to be cognizant of touching your face. I wore my glasses to be extra careful about rubbing my eyes. Bring some wipes and hand sanitizer- I keep a batch in my car. I took off my mask and gloves in the car and put on sanitizer. I wiped off my groceries and doorknob when I got home and washed my hands. I leave the bags on my lanai for a couple of days before reusing them. You can wash your mask with laundry. Soap kills the virus. That's uber cautions but I feel like I have to be because others are not. Also, it helps to be organized- get in and get out. You'll be okay, @Snaporaz❤️ (I hope this doesn't sound patronizing)

https://tvline.com/2020/04/02/young-and-restless-victor-nikki-wedding-1984/

This is good news! I hope they continue when they run out of episodes.

• Love 9

Virtual Birthday Dance Party for Peaches, SweePea and Ohiosongbird!

giphy.gif

Happy Birthday, Preverts!

31 minutes ago, Snaporaz said:

I don't think I'm cut for life in the MAGApocalypse...

No one is, Snaporaz.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Capricasix said:

The “Bob Loblaw” joke was around in Canada long before Arrested Development, I believe - can any other Canadians here corroborate?

Oh you’re right!

Most people in southern Ontario said “Bloblaws” or Bob Loblaws just became it was a funny name for a store.

3 minutes ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

Am I losing it?  I can't seem to find the daily Y&R chat.....I only see the one for Canadian episodes.......

It’s okay on my phone 

• Love 4

This makes me so sad.  The Kennedy family continues to struggle with tragedy and loss.

Coast Guard suspends search for Kathleen Kennedy Townsend's daughter, grandson

SHADY SIDE, Md. —

The Coast Guard suspended the search for the missing daughter and grandson of former Maryland Lt. Gov. Kathleen Kennedy Townsend.

Officials said Maeve Kennedy Townsend-McKean and McKean's 8-year-old son, Gideon, went missing near Herring Bay, Maryland on Thursday evening.

According to the Coast Guard, watchstanders at the Coast Guard Sector Maryland-National Capitol Region command center initially received a report from Maryland State Police members that two individuals were seen struggling to return to shore in a canoe near Herring Bay and not seen again by the reporting individual.

Coast Guard personnel searched a combined total of 3658 square miles over air, sea, and land over a period of 26 hours, officials said.

"This was a difficult case, and even more difficult to make the decision to suspend the search," said Cmdr. Matthew Fine, deputy sector commander and active search suspension authority at Sector Maryland-National Capitol Region command center. "Our crews and partners did everything they could to find them. We've kept the family informed at every step during the search, and our thoughts are with them tonight."

Kennedy-Townsend released the following statement to CNN Friday night: “With profound sadness, I share the news that the search for my beloved daughter Maeve and grandson Gideon has turned from rescue to recovery. Our Maeve devoted her life to helping society’s most vulnerable. She was a Peace Corps Volunteer who pursued a career in law to give voice to the voiceless. She was Executive Director of the Georgetown University Global Health Initiative and taught bioethics and human rights as an adjunct professor, where she gave hope to those who need it most. Maeve served on the board of the Brady Campaign and Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights, where she honored the standard that we are all defined by the plight of those society leaves behind. She was a PTA president, a soccer star, and a marathon runner."

"Maeve was vivid. You always knew when she was in a room. Her laughter was loud, unabashed, and infectious. She did everything with her full self and her whole heart. She gave the best hugs, sang loudly and out of tune, danced, wrestled, argued, forgave. Maeve shone. The fire emanating from her soul warmed us all. Her husband, David, and their children, Gideon, Gabriella, and Toby, were the great joys of her life. The role she treasured most was mom."

"Gideon, like his mom, was a star athlete who loved soccer, golf, and running. He took after his parents in the most extraordinary ways. He loved riddles, math, chess, and adventures. He loved to invent new games with his mom and share them with us all. Gideon was a loving and protective big brother to Gabriella and Toby."

"When my uncle Ted eulogized my father, he offered a prayer that what my father was to his family, and what he wished for others, would someday come to pass for all the world. This is our prayer for Maeve and Gideon."

"My heart is crushed, yet we shall try to summon the grace of God and what strength we have to honor the hope, energy and passion that Maeve and Gideon set forth into the world. My family thanks all for the outpouring of love and prayers as we grieve and try to bear this devastating loss.”

In a news conference on Friday, Gov. Larry Hogan identified the missing as the daughter of Kennedy Townsend.

Hogan said he spoke with Kennedy-Townsend, saying, "On behalf of the people of Maryland, I expressed our most heartfelt sympathies and prayers to her and to her entire family during this difficult time."

13 minutes ago, pearlite said:

Oh you’re right!

Most people in southern Ontario said “Bloblaws” or Bob Loblaws just became it was a funny name for a store.

It’s okay on my phone 

I’m on my phone now and don’t see it!   I even tried going into my profile and looking for a post I made in that forum and it’s vanished!

it must be the MAGApocalypse, coming to get me!   😫

• LOL 7
(edited)

We made it through the week, so we can spend the weekend not going outside without a mask, doing chores around the house and not changing our coronavirus routine.

Thing2 helped me pick up bags of mandarin oranges and small flower bouquets to deliver with the school lunches. The children were delighted. *Thanks for the inspiration Petunia*

The 3D Printers are moving along, but the monotony of printing and finishing the same object hundreds of times a day is taking it's toll -- Welcome to the real world young adults. There's more where that came from.

Work took an interesting turn today. People were happy to still have a paycheck, insurance and a job, even if many are doing it from the distraction of home. I emailed a PDF on creating a home office environment two weeks ago, and the suggestions are helping. 

Weeded the yard and picked ripe lemons to preserve. Sat in a lawn chair in the front garden with the newspaper and watched the traffic … I'm that weird lady in the neighborhood.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 11

After a lot of confusion, and some back and forth, and realization that part of the test was not covered fully in class, the test will now go back to being two parts. First part is tomorrow at the start of class, the other will be open book and involves filling out insurance claims, charging patients for procedures, billing correctly, scheduling etc, and that part is open book and uses training software. Apparently we have a week to do it. Or at least that is what was decided at 8:30 PM. Who knows what happened between that time and now, lol. 

I took an Ativan to try and fall asleep faster than my usual time of 3 AM these days. Class is at 10 am and I can't afford to sleep in til noon like I have been. 

Happy birthday friends. Try and have a lovely day!

happy birthday GIF

• Love 10
19 minutes ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

Oh, Poo!  I can't see it on my I-phone, either!

But I appreciate your post here - it helps to know that the maga gods aren't coming for me!

I just checked my phone, and the folder is gone now. Looking at my past post activity, all the posts for that folder are gone, too. Hmmm?

I messaged radishcake asking her to look into it for us.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

Snaporaz, cover your face with the same urgency you'd use if you knew you were going to be within 10 yards of Phyllis and her disregard of personal space, or you were anywhere near ButtBiscuit and he was gearing up for a sneeze from his industrial-sized honker.  

Warning, Will Robinson, Warning!

But seriously, you're right to be cautious, and you, my friend, are a most excellent son.

Be safe.

• LOL 4
  • Love 6

I wonder if the Daily Chat thread reached 999 pages and then couldn't roll over to 1000?  They might need to archive some of the oldest posts or break the thread down into annual groups. Database management stuff. 🤔

• Useful 4

I've heard of that.  I'm digging out my sewing machine to see if I remember how to use it   😉  I've been sewing since I was 10 (my Aunt Glyna was a seamstress) just haven't touched it in about 10-15 yrs.  I have fabric out the waz so I'm going to try my hand at some masks.

I noticed during my brief stay last week I only saw a few folks at the hospital in masks.  None of the DRs, nurses, techs, cleaning staff wore masks around me yet hubby wasn't allowed past the lobby.  No visitors, he couldn't come up to get me and they take everybody's temp when you come in the lobby door.  I went to my local hospital first where I had my endoscopy before but they are reassigning surgeries to certain hospitals now in prep for the coming wave so I had to be transferred down to Dayton to a major hospital.  No fun but luckily I didn't need one after all.  I am postponing my annual stuff for a while till this passes.  I just turned 69 so I ain't no spring chicken and I want the least exposure possible.  Hubby has to work with the public and there are dumb asses coming in coughing, not covering their mouths, still saying this is all a hoax or overblown.  The guys put a row of cases of anti-freeze right in front of the counter so folks wouldn't walk right up but some guys just move them out of the way, come right up and lean on the counter!!!  He'll probably end up bringing it home anyway.  😟

It's a no win situation. 

• Love 3

I pretty much obsessively watch the news all day, and even though I'm hearing about it constantly, I still can't believe pandemics and wearing face masks in public is something we're all dealing with.  We're going through March close at work...little did I know when we were closing out February that the very next month I wouldn't even be allowed to be at the office.

• Love 4