Type keyword(s) to search

The Bullpen

• Start Topic

5 minutes ago, Franky said:

Imagine the Pop Vinyls. They'd be freaking adorable. 

Those bobbleheads the crew were gifted some years ago were odd looking, but the Pop Vinyls would be great. *wish*

Oh, yes. So cute!

I found out there are Mad Men Little People. I so want both Joan and Peggy Little People. Joan and Peggy are my spiritual animals. I've worked as both a secretary and copywriter, and believe me, I dealt with a lot of (stealth) sexism in both roles.

And it is comforting to know I'm not the only insomniac in this joint. Sometimes I wonder if it's combo of my insomnia, stress and perhaps some latent brain damage from my assault that leads to some grammar and spelling errors in my posts. Sorry everyone; I really can write.

• Love 1

Oh, I would love Mad Men Little People! 

And, you know, it's not really brain damage, per se, after an assault like yours, it's more like trauma causing your brain to reroute. That can go on for years, especially if you don't get some positive counseling or friend-related support. I experienced it after a serious illness, and i think my not feeling like i needed help did me harm. It's like the damage is calcified, in my case. Maybe Rossi's advice to Reid was good: "Don't be like Uncle Sal! Talk to someone!"

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, normasm said:

Oh, I would love Mad Men Little People! 

And, you know, it's not really brain damage, per se, after an assault like yours, it's more like trauma causing your brain to reroute. That can go on for years, especially if you don't get some positive counseling or friend-related support. I experienced it after a serious illness, and i think my not feeling like i needed help did me harm. It's like the damage is calcified, in my case. Maybe Rossi's advice to Reid was good: "Don't be like Uncle Sal! Talk to someone!"

Thank you for your response. I had no idea my assault could cause my brain to reroute. I wish I would have gotten some therapy soon after my incident but I thought I should "tough it out." Stupid, stupid me. Nothing wrong with getting help.

On-topic: I wish Spencer wouldn't have gotten addicted to dilaudid after he was kidnapped and tortured by Tobias Hankel. It was such an obvious plot device, such a cliché. Why? Probably because drug addiction is considered dangerous, and therefore, sexy. Barf. Instead, I wish they would have shown Spencer dealing with depression, anxiety and PTSD instead and thinking he should be able to figure out on how to deal with these on his own until they become to much for him to bear and finally, he does get help.

Also, the idea of brain rerouting is another interesting concept they could have brought to this aspect of Spencer's life, especially with his genius IQ. I wonder how he would have dealt with it, especially considering his gorgeous, gray matter is such a major part of who Spencer is and how he works with the BAU.

• Love 1

I have to admit, as much as I love Revelations for how damn  good he was in that, it baffles me to this day that after two days of torture etc, Reid would not have been required to go to the hospital to be checked out......at which point they would have found the track marks in his arms and known right then. plot device obviously, but it's just wrong, there's no way he wouldn't have HAD to go to the hospital. it's procedure.

• Love 6
On 9/3/2016 at 3:30 PM, ReidFan said:

I have to admit, as much as I love Revelations for how damn  good he was in that, it baffles me to this day that after two days of torture etc, Reid would not have been required to go to the hospital to be checked out......at which point they would have found the track marks in his arms and known right then. plot device obviously, but it's just wrong, there's no way he wouldn't have HAD to go to the hospital. it's procedure.

Exactly! After being tortured, I doubt a bubble bath and some chicken soup is going to help (though it might help a little). But Spencer deserved immediate medical attention. Well, at least he was hospitalized after he was shot in the neck; he wasn't treated with a Band-Aid and some baby aspirin.

Edited by Bookish Jen
  • Love 2
Just now, Bookish Jen said:

Well, at least he was hospitalized after he was shot in the neck he wasn't treated with a Band-Aid and some baby aspirin.

lol... that one bugged the crap out of me too though. In surgery for hours, the implication that it could be life or death......and he's discharged and flying home the next day. WTF? nuh uh.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Bookish Jen said:

Thank you for your response. I had no idea my assault could cause my brain to reroute. I wish I would have gotten some therapy soon after my incident but I thought I should "tough it out." Stupid, stupid me. Nothing wrong with getting help.

On-topic: I wish Spencer wouldn't have gotten addicted to dilaudid after he was kidnapped and tortured by Tobias Hankel. It was such an obvious plot device, such a cliché. Why? Probably because drug addiction is considered dangerous, and therefore, sexy. Barf. Instead, I wish they would have shown Spencer dealing with depression, anxiety and PTSD instead and thinking he should be able to figure out on how to deal with these on his own until they become to much for him to bear and finally, he does get help.

Also, the idea of brain rerouting is another interesting concept they could have brought to this aspect of Spencer's life, especially with his genius IQ. I wonder how he would have dealt with it, especially considering his gorgeous, gray matter is such a major part of who Spencer is and how he works with the BAU.

It's not too late, of course, Booky, in fact, you might be better able to deal with things now that some time has passed, and some patterns have set up. No one knows you like you do. 

As for Spencer, I think the writers/showrunners were trying to imply that this was how Spencer's brain re-routed, so that he slipped into addiction, and really, it's possible for almost anyone to fall into it, even someone so smart. But I agree, it shouldn't have been done (the plot line). I think they were still trying to figure out what to do with Spencer, and by making him a martyr/hero through addiction, they were satisfied and stopped developing him for a couple seasons. But I think Matthew was right when he asked them later not to revisit the addiction, and act like it "never happened." 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ReidFan said:

lol... that one bugged the crap out of me too though. In surgery for hours, the implication that it could be life or death......and he's discharged and flying home the next day. WTF? nuh uh.

Yes, and being on a nasal cannula during the surgery.  

• Love 2
10 hours ago, yuruhee said:

Does anyone know where I can listen to season 10 Mr Scratch commentary? I have its DVD but it's not there >.<

on mine, you have to choose it from the menu...i click on 'Mr Scratch' and then it comes up with another choice, episode, or episode with director commentary.

Depending on where you live, it's entirely possible your copy doesn't have the extras on it. I believe the people in Europe and the UK were ripped off in this endeavour.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, yuruhee said:

Does anyone know where I can listen to season 10 Mr Scratch commentary? I have its DVD but it's not there >.<

I am afraid ReidFan is right, yuruhee, season 10 has been edited in some countries by someone who doesn't care about fans.

And I have my suspicions about season 11 too. The region 1 set got 6 discs while the UK version (region 2) only got 5, just like season 10 

• Love 1

In addition to Matthew's commentary on 'Beautiful Disaster', there is an interesting commentary by Breen Frazier and Erica Messer on 'The Storm.'  They don't discuss the actual episode so much as they talk about how things have evolved over the history of the show, writing choices, etc.  Breen also has some nice things to say about Matthew.  

I am not skilled in the area, but perhaps someone else can find a way to make it, or a transcript, available to those outside the US.  

• Love 1

meh. okay. Lotta chit chatting about how long they've each been there (Erica since the beginning, Breen for 8 years now). They chattered for the whole run of the episode (The Storm) but only very briefly now and again about the actual episode. They said some nice things about each of the cast members (Matthew, AJ, Kirsten, Thomas, Aisha and Joe. and Shemar) but mostly it was just yak yak about writing and some of the things they've learned and done over the years. Glenn Kershaw was mentioned, as were some of the guest stars in the episode itself (Frances Fisher, Bodhi Elfman, guy who played Asher) I didn't find this nearly as interesting or as informative as the ones Matthew has done (Mr Scratch, Revelations and A Beautiful Disaster. Dunno if he's done others but those three are great)

To be honest, I had the impression, although it's not scripted and neither Erica nor Breen is a particularly good speaker that they had notes, like Breen didn't want to forget to mention Glenn, or Bodhi etc. 

Erica went on about 'family'...yet they never show us (enough) much of that,  and made a comment about how CM is like her middle child, she had her son before she started working there and her daughter after. The most interesting thing I got from it was talking about learning from mistakes-- the drug addiction thing in year 2, was revisited a bit with the sobriety chip in season 4 but she said they got 'creative pushback' when they wanted to revisit it again years later (IOW, Matthew said no way. And it sounds to me like Matthew wasn't the only one who didn't wanna go back there); when a character's around for so long, they get to know them well and would know what would and wouldn't work. She didn't say 'better than we would' but it was implied. Both Breen and Erica apparently love MGG muchly :)

She did say, and Breen agreed, that while writers are given a specific script to write, a lot of it comes from brainstorming and working together. For example, the original thought on The Storm was that each member of the BAU was going to get swatted and in the process of writing, this was changed to just Hotch, because *everyone* getting arrested would smell too much like a set up from the get go.

This was obviously recorded before Kickgate. Both Breen and Erica have nothing but nice things to say about everyone, including Thomas (mention made of how good he is as a director, and how that makes (Breen) respect him more as an actor too)

One thing I'm really dying to see a follow up to.... Erica mentioned that they couldn't just say goodbye to an eleven year beloved character (meaning Morgan...) in just one episode. That was why they gave him the three character arc, why the episodes were written by herself and Breen and Kirsten, why they were directed by Thomas, Joe and Matthew. Because the actors and crew all felt like family seeing Shemar off, and they wanted to make it longer for the fans too. Hmm. Thomas was an eleven year beloved character too. I hope he gets a three episode send off as well. ALthough how they'd do that without him.... flashbacks maybe. And if loyalty matters, then Spencer should get a season long exit arc........

I was gonna do a thing but honestly, I don't think it's worth the time and aggravation my computer goes through (dang near overheated it with the last thing )

Edited by ReidFan
to add something
  • Love 6

My take was very different from yours, ReidFan.  I found Matthew's commentary to be fine, very similar to the Mr. Scratch commentary in the mixture of joking and giving some insight into his directing choices.

But I found Breen to be remarkably open and chatty, which I thought influenced Erica and broke her away from some of her far more measured statements.  Personally, I found it interesting to listen to their lessons on writing for characters at the beginning of a series, not knowing how long it will last, versus how they write further on, on how things develop behind the scenes, etc.

I was actually glad to hear far more about that than about the episode the commentary was on.  I didn't feel as much MGG-love from Erica as I did from Breen.  But, while I haven't yet watched all of the extras, it has so far been the highlight for me. 

Edited by JMO
  • Love 5
35 minutes ago, ReidFan said:

meh. okay. Lotta chit chatting about how long they've each been there (Erica since the beginning, Breen for 8 years now). They chattered for the whole run of the episode (The Storm) but only very briefly now and again about the actual episode. They said some nice things about each of the cast members (Matthew, AJ, Kirsten, Thomas, Aisha and Joe. and Shemar) but mostly it was just yak yak about writing and some of the things they've learned and done over the years. Glenn Kershaw was mentioned, as were some of the guest stars in the episode itself (Frances Fisher, Bodhi Elfman, guy who played Asher) I didn't find this nearly as interesting or as informative as the ones Matthew has done (Mr Scratch, Revelations and A Beautiful Disaster. Dunno if he's done others but those three are great)

To be honest, I had the impression, although it's not scripted and neither Erica nor Breen is a particularly good speaker that they had notes, like Breen didn't want to forget to mention Glenn, or Bodhi etc. 

Erica went on about 'family'...yet they never show us (enough) much of that,  and made a comment about how CM is like her middle child, she had her son before she started working there and her daughter after. The most interesting thing I got from it was talking about learning from mistakes-- the drug addiction thing in year 2, was revisited a bit with the sobriety chip in season 4 but she said they got 'creative pushback' when they wanted to revisit it again years later (IOW, Matthew said no way. And it sounds to me like Matthew wasn't the only one who didn't wanna go back there); when a character's around for so long, they get to know them well and would know what would and wouldn't work. She didn't say 'better than we would' but it was implied. Both Breen and Erica apparently love MGG muchly :)

She did say, and Breen agreed, that while writers are given a specific script to write, a lot of it comes from brainstorming and working together. For example, the original thought on The Storm was that each member of the BAU was going to get swatted and in the process of writing, this was changed to just Hotch, because *everyone* getting arrested would smell too much like a set up from the get go.

This was obviously recorded before Kickgate. Both Breen and Erica have nothing but nice things to say about everyone, including Thomas (mention made of how good he is as a director, and how that makes (Breen) respect him more as an actor too)

One thing I'm really dying to see a follow up to.... Erica mentioned that they couldn't just say goodbye to an eleven year beloved character (meaning Morgan...) in just one episode. That was why they gave him the three character arc, why the episodes were written by herself and Breen and Kirsten, why they were directed by Thomas, Joe and Matthew. Because the actors and crew all felt like family seeing Shemar off, and they wanted to make it longer for the fans too. Hmm. Thomas was an eleven year beloved character too. I hope he gets a three episode send off as well. ALthough how they'd do that without him.... flashbacks maybe. And if loyalty matters, then Spencer should get a season long exit arc........

I was gonna do a thing but honestly, I don't think it's worth the time and aggravation my computer goes through (dang near overheated it with the last thing )

Thanks for all the intel Reidfan!! :D

• Love 2
On 9/7/2016 at 3:19 PM, Bookish Jen said:

I was wondering if anyone would recognize him.

My favorite Clint Howard appearance is in Seinfeld when he's arrested for trying to steal a car and Jerry and George are in the back seat of the police car. Hard to believe this guy was the adorable, tow-headed child eager to share his peanut butter sandwich on the old Andy Griffith show. 

I don't remember a Howard boy or man on Seinfeld, but I do remember Clint, as the less good-looking Howard boy, getting many jobs in TV throughout his life. His brother Ron (who was Opie on Andy Griffih and Richie on Happy Days) would have him in his early movies, too. 

Edited by normasm
I remembered "Richie"
3 hours ago, Franky said:

I just find it amusing that the day I watch the Frank (No Way Out I&II) episodes on ION is the day Big Bang Theory decides to plaster my feed with ads.

Keith Carradine is Penny's dad.

I believe there were a few fanfics that floated the idea of a relation between Penny's dad and Frank, and I have always thought it could make for a great crossover.

• Love 1

*sniffle* not overly fond of the episode itself "In The Blood", but I love Penelope's Day of the Dead party. Nothing is said when Maeve's picture goes up (and I start to bawl a bit) then smile a lil bit when Rossi makes the comment about his Marine friend and Morgan's dad sorting out going to the Cubs game together....and then full fledged bawling when Hotch puts Haley's picture up without a word (none needed).

• Love 6
3 hours ago, FanOfDorks said:

OMG love it.  Dammit Gump would you just please stop killing people.

Someone needs to make a very twisted 'Beyond Borders' episode with that concept. 'Death is like a box of chocolates, Lieutenant Dan...'

• Love 1

Beyond Borders was born twisted, I watched a few minutes of the premiere while I was channel surfing last weekend and the second I saw the unsub was like a brain rape. WTF was that? OMG, they shot an episode in Spain!! And why was it renewed? 

Anyway, I wanna say I've just realized Gideon's nemesis, Frank, is Penny's father! xD

Edited by smoker
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, Franky said:

I just find it amusing that the day I watch the Frank (No Way Out I&II) episodes on ION is the day Big Bang Theory decides to plaster my feed with ads.

Keith Carradine is Penny's dad.

Right?

9 hours ago, smoker said:

Beyond Borders was born twisted, I watched a few minutes of the premiere while I was channel surfing last weekend and the second I saw the unsub was like a brain rape. WTF was that? OMG, they shot an episode in Spain!! And why was it renewed? 

Anyway, I wanna say I've just realized Gideon's nemesis, Frank, is Penny's father! xD

If only they had shot an episode in Spain, smoker. Did you see it? It was pretty funny. It was California as Pamplona by way of Mexico.

The Paris episode was annoying too. So I imagine pretty much all the episodes are annoying to people who actually know the areas they are supposed to be in. In fact, the whole idea of the show pretty much sucks.

• Love 3

Funny you should say that, Franky. I counted a heart in approximately the right place, 2 hands, 2 leg bones, 2 candies that could be eyes, 2 candies that might represent ears, and then 2 sets of what look like kidneys and livers! Plus, the mystery of the 2 X's (for a girl?). The 2 corpses in the coffins look identical, but the skulls look like male and female possibly. Then one candy at the bottom, for who knows what reason!!!

• Love 3
1 minute ago, normasm said:

Funny you should say that, Franky. I counted a heart in approximately the right place, 2 hands, 2 leg bones, 2 candies that could be eyes, 2 candies that might represent ears, and then 2 sets of what look like kidneys and livers! Plus, the mystery of the 2 X's (for a girl?). The 2 corpses in the coffins look identical, but the skulls look like male and female possibly. Then one candy at the bottom, for who knows what reason!!!

What are you? Some kind of candy profiler?

• Love 4