Type keyword(s) to search

The Bullpen

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Franky said:

For the Xs, my mind went to how in cartoons when someone is dead they have Xs for eyes! HA!

lol....we live backing onto a park and this reminds me so much of an incident about ten years ago. While walking the dog, my husband happened upon a dead skunk down in the ravine. He called the city people to come and get it and in the process, the guy responsible asked my husband for the skunk's exact location. So he drew a little map of the park, indicating the ring of trees around the soccer field etc, down to the path to the ravine. And the skunk's location was marked with a little drawing of a black and white striped animal, with its tongue hanging out and two X's for eyes. The city guy went and got it, came back to the house and told my husband that the map was perfect, but the skunk looked nothing like the drawing. And for him not to entertain any ideas that he had a career as an artist. I still laugh about that :D

• Love 3
On 21/09/2016 at 0:40 AM, Lebanna said:

Someone needs to make a very twisted 'Beyond Borders' episode with that concept. 'Death is like a box of chocolates, Lieutenant Dan...'

Haha this is perfect.  Lieutenant Dan is the unsub.  His fake legs are his weapons 

• Love 1

A friend posted this link to product reviews of a brand of sugar free gummi bears that have unpleasant side effects. The one that mentioned "trumpets calling the demons back to hell" really made me LOL. But a lot of the reviews were quite funny.

https://www.amazon.com/Haribo-Sugar-Free-Gummy-Bears/product-reviews/B008JELLCA/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_paging_btm_6?ie=UTF8&pageNumber=6&pageSize=10

I now want to see a scene on CM where they reference some evil person at the office buying these and giving them to unsuspecting co-workers as an act of pure evil.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, zannej said:

A friend posted this link to product reviews of a brand of sugar free gummi bears that have unpleasant side effects. The one that mentioned "trumpets calling the demons back to hell" really made me LOL. But a lot of the reviews were quite funny.

https://www.amazon.com/Haribo-Sugar-Free-Gummy-Bears/product-reviews/B008JELLCA/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_paging_btm_6?ie=UTF8&pageNumber=6&pageSize=10

I now want to see a scene on CM where they reference some evil person at the office buying these and giving them to unsuspecting co-workers as an act of pure evil.

"Happy Saturday, my nerds!"

The BAU profiled the unsub who passed out these deadly gummies as the "Crummy Gummy Who Poisoned Many a Tummy."

cannibalistic_gummy_bears____by_insanity

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, normasm said:

Kinda hard to Fear with that doo-wip on top his head...

Or one of CM's bad wigs.

However, Doo-Wip would be a great name for a band. Hmm, possible opening act for Spencer, Hold My Earrings?

Edited by Bookish Jen
  • Love 4
On 28/09/2016 at 2:56 PM, Bookish Jen said:

"Happy Wednesday, my nerds!"

It's probably not a good idea to have an unsub make your Pumpkin Spice Latte.

latest?cb=20141106004813

Dr. Reid that means you.  We all know your a coffee guzzling halloween loving little cutie but just no.  Let Garcia make it instead.

1 hour ago, Bookish Jen said:

Ladies and gents. I give you the new and improved Daddy Saddle!

http://ponyupdaddy.com/

Oh, thank you, Booky, for that hypnotic jingle that i will be singing all night in my sleep, as well as the reminder of the original. Nothing beats the Daddy Saddle, but this is special...

• Love 1
On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 4:54 PM, normasm said:

Oh, thank you, Booky, for that hypnotic jingle that i will be singing all night in my sleep, as well as the reminder of the original. Nothing beats the Daddy Saddle, but this is special...

"Pony Up, Daddy!" Spencer, Hold My Earrings latest jam.

And the reviews ad just right dash of...something. I'm kind of afraid of going into that murky area.

Cowboy? Princess? Knight? Cowgirl? Police? Are these what your child can imagine him or her being while straddling daddy or sexual poses found in the Kama Sutra?

66938800.jpg

For some reason I see years of therapy for any kid who rides a Daddy Saddle, especially if he or she sees mommy and daddy get frisky with it late one night.

And dang it; I wish I knew Matthew personally. I'd send this to him. He'd probably laugh himself silly, with tears going down his cheeks and his tummy and sides aching from all the laughing.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, CrimeFan12 said:

I wish.  The Indians are playing at four.  Game will be long over by the time the debate comes on.

uh oh. Are we mortal enemies right now? The Jays are playing at four too. :)

and the Cubs (Joe's team) are playing later tonight.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, ReidFan said:

uh oh. Are we mortal enemies right now? The Jays are playing at four too. :)

and the Cubs (Joe's team) are playing later tonight.

If you are a Jays fan, then yes we are for one to three games. ;-D

24 minutes ago, Bookish Jen said:

All this sports talk is making me think a CM episode devoted to crimes that are related to a big time sports star would be very interesting...

As long as they don't name the unsub Aaron Rodgers.

Intriguing thought.  I'll have to ponder that after I finish my chapter so I can post it.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, CrimeFan12 said:

Intriguing thought.  I'll have to ponder that after I finish my chapter so I can post it.

I also thought of a possible episode where an election campaign is causing all kinds of craziness to ensue, some of it violent and chaotic. The BAU is called in to profile the candidates and their followers and supporters.

Then I realized, we don't have to imagine an election campaign; we're living it.

Edited by Bookish Jen
4 minutes ago, Bookish Jen said:

I also thought of a possible episode where an election campaign is causing all kinds of craziness to ensure, some of it violent and chaotic. The BAU is called in to profile the candidates and their followers and supporters.

Then I realized, we don't have to imagine an election campaign; we're living it.

Still it is another good idea.  Will add it to my list of possible future stories.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, normasm said:

I was speaking about the Cubs game, although i may watch the Indians/Jays, too.

With CM being pre-empted due to the debate, I will probably make some cinnamon sugar cookies for next week's potluck we're having at work and for an upcoming church bake sale.

On-topic: I do think a political related CM episode would be fascinating. Maybe one where an unsub is maiming political types, whether conservative, liberal or moderate, he or she comes across at debates, campaign headquarters, rallies, etc. But this episode would have to be handled with special care and nuance, which I'm not sure the current state of CM could do properly and convincingly.

• Love 1

Booky, I'm a little queasy with the subject matter of maiming or killing political types, politicians, etc., since i think there are a lot of folks out there that want to do exactly that and I wouldn't want it sensationalized to any degree, given the climate.

Well, A Thin Line did it too, but it was ham-handed (and it was about the politicos doing the killing). In RCP, they were trying to indicate the Manchurian Candidate, but didn't hold a profiling candle.

• Love 1

I am not particularly a fan of so called agenda television except when it is done well like with Mash. CM's so called attempt at it has sucked big time. And one of the most notable episode depicting this fact was that gawd awful Burn. It was Janine's pathetic attempt to push some sort of anti death penalty message.

• Love 4

I think the biggest difference between a show like MASH and a show like CM is that, for MASH, the political agenda was built into the foundation of the show.  You knew that going in, so you made a choice to either watch or not watch, the entire series.  In contrast, a show like CM draws viewers from across the political spectrum.  In that context, a 'message episode' risks alienating some portion of the audience, because it's not the reason they watch, is unexpected, and goes against the grain for them.  

I'll watch the debate, but possibly not until tomorrow.  Had trouble sleeping after the last one. What craziness. Saw a post on Facebook today, and I honestly still don't know if it was meant to be a joke or was an actual news report.  

Even if I don't watch the game, I will root for the Cubs.  Since the Mets can't be in it, the Cubbies would make a great story.  

• Love 4

Star Trek was like that, too, all about treating each other equally, etc., which, at the time was unusual. Rod Serling's Twilight Zone was very agenda-driven, mostly by the horrors of war Serling survived, and his abhorrence of racism, etc. But, as you say, JMO, it was built into the series mission statement (I hate that term) from the get-go.

• Love 2

As hokey as those shows would look on screen now, they were golden.  They were, in a very real way, art, because they had a point of view and they illuminated a theme.  Honestly, CM is a lightweight compared with them.  But a very visually pleasing lightweight, when certain unnamed genius profilers are featured.  

• Love 3
14 hours ago, normasm said:

Booky, I'm a little queasy with the subject matter of maiming or killing political types, politicians, etc., since i think there are a lot of folks out there that want to do exactly that and I wouldn't want it sensationalized to any degree, given the climate.

I totally get what you mean, especially in today's political climate and I'm afraid it would be sensationalized in the age of MESSer, and not handled with nuance and sensitivity. It was just some idea I threw out.

I loved MASH and Twilight Zone. I haven't seen any episodes of MASH in years though. But I've seen a couple of Twilight Zone ones. They could really make you think. There was a psychological thriller aspect to most of them.

I would prefer it if CM just stayed out of politics. I was already annoyed with the very clear anti-Border Patrol / INS message in the episode where the guy was murdering illegal immigrants. If the earlier writers had done the episode, there might have been some balance where you would get the perspectives of both sides-- but instead we got a very one-sided perspective and message. It was made very clear in a few episodes that at least some of the writers completely despise politicians.

Every time someone starts talking about sports I think of the Garfunkel and Oates song (which is related to CM because Rikki Lindholme was in an episode of CM and she is friends with MGG).

• Love 1

As long as there's nuance, I don't think there's a topic CM can't pursue. In fact, I'd say that CM is the perfect vehicle to deal with controversial topics and discussions, because there is nothing like a crime that brings out the most in a certain issue.

Unfortunately, most writers- it's not just a CM thing- feel the need to be heavy handed with their discussions, because it's too tempting to use the opportunity in writing an episode to spout your views. Not that it is necessarily wrong to use story writing to make a point, but to do so effectively, you do need nuance.

• Love 6

Good point Daniel. The old writers on the show managed to do it, but thus far, the current writers have shown a severe lack of subtlety. Instead of trying to make people think and let people decide for themselves, they have been very hamfisted with pushing only their own personal pov.

I remember the episode (I think it was "A Real Rain") where there was discussion among the team members and cops about whether or not the "public service killings" were justified. The cops had the attitude that criminals being killed was not such a bad thing-- and I knew law enforcement agents who felt that way. But there was still the fact that murder is wrong and the victims were still human beings.

• Love 4

That was the best part about the early days of CM- the Jeff Davis era (Edward Allen Bernero had his moments, though). There was lots of nuance, lots of balance, lots of examination...it was everything you expected out of CM, and you needed it for the show to be successful. You can't have a show about the worst of the worst without at least trying to "make sense" of it- otherwise, it's just some pointless gore-fest.

It's best summed up when Gideon said to Reid about the objective of their job- "(the serial killers) dehumanize their victims. We need to humanize them."

(I know that's not the exact quote, apologies)

• Love 6

Jeff, Ed, Simon, Chris... they all played a huge part in the creation of the show's structure, tone, and feel. The stable of writers at that time was pretty freaking awesome too, with Andrew Wilder, Oanh Ly, and Simon and Ed writing many eps themselves. Even Erica's writing was far better then, as she had Deb to bounce off of, and they've said it was an extremely collaborative writers room. 

Then came the big dustup, people left or weren't asked back, and the groundwork was laid for a switch to an action drama. I didn't hate the shift (and still don't), but there's no denying that what came before was lightning in a bottle and some of the best procedural television offered. I never get tired of watching the reruns of the earlier, halcyon days.

• Love 3